Investing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
    Imagine being so powerful you can short a stock into oblivion and then literally stop anyone from buying it.
    These people aren't criminals. They're a ruthless mob. Financial terrorists. It's that basic. It's that simple. We need to commit whatever resources we have to hunting them down and bringing them to justice.

Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
    Just another stark reminder of Carlin's "It's a big club and you ain't in it" bit.
    We're not but we can find out who is.

Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
    The true divide in this country isn't left and right, it's up and down.
    Correct. The right vs left political theater makes it possible to a great extent. It gives the financial terrorists cover.
    Last edited by Wild Bill ; 01-28-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Bill View Post
      Maybe none. Maybe many.

I'd bet my last dollar there will be no criminal investigation on behalf of their customers or in the interest of justice. I think that's the part that doesn't sit well with people. It'll only be investigated if it's in the interest of big money.

Maybe we can file a civil suit and unintentionally expose criminality. All we need is a big pile of cash to depose billionaires and litigate against their army of attorneys so I'm sure that'll work out.

The silver lining here is that many on the right have realized that these money changers aren't good for our society, and if you combine that with the fanaticism on the left, maybe it leads to something.
      Class action suit was just filed in New York against Robinhood.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Listening to irate New York hedge fund billionaire Leon Cooperman on CNBC right now lamenting people &quot;sitting at home getting their checks from the government, trading their stocks.&quot;<br><br>“This fair share is a bullshit concept,&quot; he shouts. &quot;It’s a way of attacking wealthy people.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/zFW6o1MFND">pic.twitter.com/zFW6o1MFND</a></p>&mdash; Jake Offenhartz (@jangelooff) <a href="https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1354846320494784515?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's amazing how either A. out of touch with reality these people are, or B. Evil they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
          Class action suit was just filed in New York against Robinhood.
          Assumed that would happen. I'm guessing it settles without much of a fight, attorneys will get a nice payday, plaintiffs will get a thousand post cards and a $17 check.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just got a tip that Citadel reloaded their shorts before they told Robinhood to stop trading <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%24GME&amp;src=ctag&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Et fw">$GME</a>.<br><br>If this is true, Ken Griffin and the Robinhood founders should be in jail.<br><br>This is class warfare.</p>&mdash; Justin Kan (@justinkan) <a href="https://twitter.com/justinkan/status/1354853920762253315?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• It sucks being one of the 3 people on the planet that do not perfectly understand how shorting works. I feel like an alien.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Listening to irate New York hedge fund billionaire Leon Cooperman on CNBC right now lamenting people &quot;sitting at home getting their checks from the government, trading their stocks.&quot;<br><br>“This fair share is a bullshit concept,&quot; he shouts. &quot;It’s a way of attacking wealthy people.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/zFW6o1MFND">pic.twitter.com/zFW6o1MFND</a></p>&mdash; Jake Offenhartz (@jangelooff) <a href="https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1354846320494784515?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's amazing how either A. out of touch with reality these people are, or B. Evil they are.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just got a tip that Citadel reloaded their shorts before they told Robinhood to stop trading <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%24GME&amp;src=ctag&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Et fw">$GME</a>.<br><br>If this is true, Ken Griffin and the Robinhood founders should be in jail.<br><br>This is class warfare.</p>&mdash; Justin Kan (@justinkan) <a href="https://twitter.com/justinkan/status/1354853920762253315?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                  If true, this is criminal. But unless they were dumb enough to put it in an email it'll never get proven. Shorting GME at $400 and then taking direct action to crash the price is literally securities fraud.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Listening to irate New York hedge fund billionaire Leon Cooperman on CNBC right now lamenting people &quot;sitting at home getting their checks from the government, trading their stocks.&quot;<br><br>“This fair share is a bullshit concept,&quot; he shouts. &quot;It’s a way of attacking wealthy people.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/zFW6o1MFND">pic.twitter.com/zFW6o1MFND</a></p>&mdash; Jake Offenhartz (@jangelooff) <a href="https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1354846320494784515?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I watched this interview live and agree with everything that was said. It lasted 10+ minutes and this tweet picks the two most "controversial" takes.

Comment

If true, this is criminal. But unless they were dumb enough to put it in an email it'll never get proven. Shorting GME at $400 and then taking direct action to crash the price is literally securities fraud.

I don't understand how this isn't what happened. I mean WSB pumped it up, Hedge Funds stood to loose millions, so they forced the short by not allowing people to trade it...in turn driving the price down. Weather there is an "email" trail or not, they literally stopped trading by force.

Am I reading this all wrong?
                      " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                        It sucks being one of the 3 people on the planet that do not perfectly understand how shorting works. I feel like an alien.
                        You have 10 apples. I'm a big time investor who has a tip or feeling that the price of apples is going to drop for whatever reason. I ask to borrow your apples. I'll take your ten apples and in exchange I'll give them back to you at the end of the week plus $1. You agree, you get to keep your apples and make $1 for free.

I take your ten apples and I sell them to other people for $1 each. Seven days later I was right and now apples are only worth .50¢. It's time for me to give you back your apples. So I take the $10 I made and I buy 10 apples for $5. I give your your 10 apples and $1. I made a $4 profit for nothing.

Now imagine I borrowed every apple in existence, actually more than every apple I borrowed 140% of all apples. And then imagine people found out that I did this. They decide to start buying apples to make the price go up instead of down.

Now it's time for me to return 140% of all apples in existence, but instead of each one being worth 0.50¢ each one is worth $350. So now I legally have to start buying back 140% worth of apples at a $349 loss each.
                        Last edited by GATTACA!; 01-28-2021, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• As someone who watched $75k disappear in minutes, fuck these people. I've never been more angry in my entire life.
                          Last edited by tussin; 01-28-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                            I watched this interview live and agree with everything that was said. It lasted 10+ minutes and this tweet picks the two most "controversial" takes.
                            Same. He ranted on the three types of stocks for way too long, but that clip alone makes him look like an out of touch prick. That said, I don't think people like Cooperman understand the mindset or reality of the Reddit trader.
                            Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by tussin View Post
                              As someone who watched $75k disappear in minutes, fuck these people. I've never been more angry in my entire life.
                              because of what is going on? excuse me but i know nothing in regards to stock market/trading etc
                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                                Same. He ranted on the three types of stocks for way too long, but that clip alone makes him look like an out of touch prick. That said, I don't think people like Cooperman understand the mindset or reality of the Reddit trader.
                                His argument was so dishonest on every level. This jackass is on TV telling everyone how every trade should be tied to "value" -- when he works in an industry filled with firms dedicated to technical, event-driven, and momentum trading.

The $GME thing started as a "value play" because his asshole friends unreasonably shorted a company to the point of near bankruptcy. As soon as the price crossed $20/share, the entire trade turned into purely technical with it being the greatest short squeeze ever. He knows it. Most of the retail traders know that's what is happening. But this a-hole decides to go on TV and complain about the Enterprise Value of the company to scare off the people that hopped on the trade late.

EDIT: For anyone who wants to watch an amazing video. Below is the WSB user that found this trade and publicized it... and laid out the whole scenario five months ago. The guy put in the hours and hard work to find the edge. At yesterday's close, he is up $43 million (yes, that's correct) on a $50K trade. I hope this ends with him being a billionaire and buying the Hampton house(s) of these assholes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JWdWCtLMoU0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                Last edited by tussin; 01-28-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                  because of what is going on? excuse me but i know nothing in regards to stock market/trading etc
                                  Yes. From 10:30 to 11:30AM, I personally watched $75K of market value disappear in my $GME holdings because the brokerages prevented buying action and the hedge funds simultaneously launched a new short attack.

Comment

• Does anyone think that Robinhood will fold up their tent? I am wondering if I should sell ALL my positions, bank the money and run?
                                    " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

His argument was so dishonest on every level. This jackass is on TV telling everyone how every trade should be tied to "value" -- when he works in an industry filled with firms dedicated to technical, event-driven, and momentum trading.

The $GME thing started as a "value play" because his asshole friends unreasonably shorted a company to the point of near bankruptcy. As soon as the price crossed $20/share, the entire trade turned into purely technical with it being the greatest short squeeze ever. He knows it. Most of the retail traders know that's what is happening. But this a-hole decides to go on TV and complain about the Enterprise Value of the company to scare off the people that hopped on the trade late.

EDIT: For anyone who wants to watch an amazing video. Below is the WSB user that found this trade and publicized it... and laid out the whole scenario five months ago. The guy put in the hours and hard work to find the edge. At yesterday's close, he is up $43 million (yes, that's correct) on a $50K trade. I hope this ends with him being a billionaire and buying the Hampton house(s) of these assholes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JWdWCtLMoU0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                      How did he manage that? Didn't it peak at like 100x where he would've bought in? Did he work some other magic to get it to 1000x?

Comment

How did he manage that? Didn't it peak at like 100x where he would've bought in? Did he work some other magic to get it to 1000x?
                                        It was more than 4 months ago. He called it in September of 2019 IIRC. He didn't buy straight stock. Most of his plays were leap calls expiring in January this year.

He yolo'd 50k and hit the equivalent of a buzzer beater full court shot.

Comment

Tons of cheap call options at low prices.

EDIT: You can track his entire journey of the trade on Reddit. His user name is u/DeepFuckingValue
                                          Last edited by tussin; 01-28-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                            It was more than 4 months ago. He called it in September of 2019 IIRC. He didn't buy straight stock. Most of his plays were leap calls expiring in January this year.

He yolo'd 50k and hit the equivalent of a buzzer beater full court shot.
                                            Originally posted by tussin View Post
                                            Tons of cheap call options at low prices.

EDIT: You can track his entire journey of the trade on Reddit. His user name is u/DeepFuckingValue
                                            Balls of steel.

Comment

Balls of steel.
                                              Beskar or adamantium

Comment

Balls of steel.
                                                Speaking of which, the dude is still in.

Comment

Crazy, I would've GTFO at $300 if I was him. Take the money and run.

Comment

DIAMOND HANDS

Comment

Crazy, I would've GTFO at $300 if I was him. Take the money and run.
                                                      He's been taking out small chunks along the way. I think he's cleared 14 million already.

Comment

• SIAP, but apparently Robinhood has been going into users’ accounts and selling all their shares of GameStop to “mitigate risk”.

Comment

• I've been chucking (out of pure anger and hatred) about how ironic the name "Robinhood" now is.

Comment

SIAP, but apparently Robinhood has been going into users’ accounts and selling all their shares of GameStop to “mitigate risk”.
                                                            Apparently it was people who had been trading on RH margin. Not that it makes it any less scummy or borderline illegal.

It's pretty fucked up that the math was clearly done and the conclusion was that tanking RH into the ground and whatever fines would come with intentionally manipulating GME's stock price was better than the butt fucking they were set to take.

Comment

• RH opening the stocks back up in the morning but at a limited capacity. What a fvcking joke.

The scumbag CEO was just on CNBC, still saying they made the right decision. NOK/AMC are about to boom tomorrow.
                                                              "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                                                                RH opening the stocks back up in the morning but at a limited capacity. What a fvcking joke.

The scumbag CEO was just on CNBC, still saying they made the right decision. NOK/AMC are about to boom tomorrow.
                                                                What's the play in the morning then? NOK? AMC? Both?
                                                                I used to be D-BOE34 but I can't login for some reason. Will someone donate some vBucks?

Comment

He must have learned his lesson after this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/30/leon...y-abusive.html

Comment

• rumor that a call from the white house to robinhood was made for them to remove buying options.

Comment

• You guys see what’s going on with Doge coin? Literally created as a joke but everyone’s trying to pump it up right now. Up over 400% today.
                                                                      .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                                        You guys see what’s going on with Doge coin? Literally created as a joke but everyone’s trying to pump it up right now. Up over 400% today.
                                                                        Didn't realize that was still around. I do remember when they managed to get enough money together to sponsor a NASCAR driver lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B-JW39Yl7sc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Prediction: Tomorrow will be epic.

Liquidity was shut down today, the precipitous drop was all algos trading, and the retail traders are diamond handed and refuse to sell. There was so little liquidity today that fractional shares were being filled at $2,600/share. Tomorrow is when a lot of call options expire deep ITM. They have to cover.

Either retail gets screwed in a way that's magnitudes worse than today, or a ton of people are about to make life-changing money.

*** This is not a recommendation to invest in $GME ***
                                                                          Last edited by tussin; 01-28-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DONALDIII View Post
                                                                            What's the play in the morning then? NOK? AMC? Both?
                                                                            Have a look at futures rn...if the red holds, it's all fone.
                                                                            If GME goes 500+, the whole thing may break.
                                                                            TQQ / SPY / AAPL puts

Nfa.
                                                                            I spend WAY too much time on here.

Comment

Prediction: Tomorrow will be epic.

Liquidity was shut down today, the precipitous drop was all algos trading, and the retail traders are diamond handed and refuse to sell. There was so little liquidity today that fractional shares were being filled at $2,600/share. Tomorrow is when a lot of call options expire deep ITM. They have to cover.

Either retail gets screwed in a way that's magnitudes worse than today, or a ton of people are about to make life-changing money.

*** This is not a recommendation to invest in $GME ***
                                                                              The options piece is what intrigues me. Living in Asia, I will be asleep so I am sitting this one out. But impact of options market makers, call options maturing, limited buying, etc is setting this thing up to have bonkers volatility.

Also, just wanted to point out that AMC actually issued stock to sell at prevailing prices. People need to be weary of this, especially as it relates to GME. There is literally nothing stopping GME from working with the hedge funds to sell shares directly to them. If everyone knows GME isn't worth $300/share or whatever price you want to assume, GME could tell the funds I will be willing to sell to you at $150/share. The funds would do it to close their position without having to engage the reddit crowd. How likely is that? Probably not highly likely. But they call these people institutional investors for a reason. They have resources to work deals like this and when the money is right, they will get things done.

I just hope all of you playing the game tomorrow have firm stop losses. Best of luck.

Comment

• Diagonal blades. Get your sharp diagonal blades! $200, scaffolding not included!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                                  The options piece is what intrigues me. Living in Asia, I will be asleep so I am sitting this one out. But impact of options market makers, call options maturing, limited buying, etc is setting this thing up to have bonkers volatility.

Also, just wanted to point out that AMC actually issued stock to sell at prevailing prices. People need to be weary of this, especially as it relates to GME. There is literally nothing stopping GME from working with the hedge funds to sell shares directly to them. If everyone knows GME isn't worth $300/share or whatever price you want to assume, GME could tell the funds I will be willing to sell to you at $150/share. The funds would do it to close their position without having to engage the reddit crowd. How likely is that? Probably not highly likely. But they call these people institutional investors for a reason. They have resources to work deals like this and when the money is right, they will get things done.

I just hope all of you playing the game tomorrow have firm stop losses. Best of luck.
                                                                                  I agree with you on gme working with HFs. It's one of the limited options HFs have right now so they're going to push hard.

Comment

I thought I had read that they'd have to file with the SEC first.

Comment

• Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                                                                      Haven't you heard the news? There are no rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                                                                        I am going back a fair bit in my education, but I seem to recall the filing is necessary if there is an underwriter / deemed a "public offering".

There is the 20% rule that is for non-registered offerings. Again, memory could be fuzzy after all the malted hops and bong resin, but they could issue directly to the hedge funds so long as the shares issued were less than 20% of all shares. This is a big deal since the could do that and cover ~1/3 of the shares shorted. That would basically kill the trade and crash the price. But this way, the company actually benefits from the whole ordeal.

Comment

• Investing questions

Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                                                          You guys see what’s going on with Doge coin? Literally created as a joke but everyone’s trying to pump it up right now. Up over 400% today.

I got in on it right when it started booming. I was up $100 in 10 mins Hopefully it gets some steam over the weekend.

"Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishRazor82 View Post
                                                                                            It sucks being one of the 3 people on the planet that do not perfectly understand how shorting works. I feel like an alien.
                                                                                            Only three of us and two happen to be on IE? lol

Comment

Why would GME side with the hedge funds that were attempting to short them into oblivion over the Redditors who will be potential customers in the future? GameStop got new investors with plans to restructure the company and business model, which served as the catalyst for what is happening. In the last week, GameStop could have made public statements which could have helped the funds, but they have not. I have a good amount invested in this and I will personally buy anything gaming related from GameStop in the future if they continue to just let this play out and I’ve seen many redditors state they have similar plans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kak7304 View Post
                                                                                                Why would GME side with the hedge funds that were attempting to short them into oblivion over the Redditors who will be potential customers in the future? GameStop got new investors with plans to restructure the company and business model, which served as the catalyst for what is happening. In the last week, GameStop could have made public statements which could have helped the funds, but they have not. I have a good amount invested in this and I will personally buy anything gaming related from GameStop in the future if they continue to just let this play out and I’ve seen many redditors state they have similar plans.
                                                                                                $$

Comment

• https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetb...e_endgame_now/ -- this is funny as hell

Comment

• Looking for a nice dip to buy some more $GME stock. Shit's gone full dot com bubble, but I don't think 500+/share is out of the question given the hold mentality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meatloaf View Post
                                                                                                      Looking for a nice dip to buy some more $GME stock. Shit's gone full dot com bubble, but I don't think 500+/share is out of the question given the hold mentality.
                                                                                                      It’s not a bubble, no one thinks $GME is worth even $100/share. This is a game of chicken with overexposed shorts to see who blinks first. Classic leverage play. If shorts cave then $1K+/share is easily possible IMO.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X