X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
    Loved Hannibal. I think it took me a while to get into, but loved it after 4 or 5 eps. Caroline Dhavernas is pretty yummy too.

I first noticed Dwan in Top Boy, which is another great series out of the UK. Give it a shot if you have time. I think they are coming out with S4 later this year.
    Indeed she is. I'm deep into season 1 now and realized she looks so familiar, but couldn't place what else I'd seen her in. I looked up her list of movies & shows and realized she was in Passchendaele. I remember her from that movie, but what I REALLY remember her from and why she looked so familiar is that she played Vera, the neighbor girl Leckie wrote to throughout the war and eventually married, in The Pacific. I remember watching it and thinking that she was some kinda seriously good looking.

Top Boy is probably next for me after I finish Hannibal. It looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
    Finished up Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Only regret is I wish I had read the book first. Very well done.
    I'm a lifelong chess nerd and know several of the top players. This is probably the first movie or show that ever portrayed the game relatively accurately, especially how a strong player thinks and what they see during play. They really did do a good job on all fronts with this one and avoided all the stereotypical inaccurate clichés. And Anya Taylor-Joy is easy on the eyes.
    Last edited by Bishop2b5; 03-18-2021, 09:26 AM. Reason: misspelling

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

I had an HBO sub back in the day, but never got around to watching it for some reason. I was much more of an Entourage guy in my college days lol.

I downloaded HBO Max and logged in with my in-laws' cable provider so I could see what their offerings look like. Figured I'd catch up on some of the stuff I've missed over the years. Started with Deadwood because I knew they made a movie recently.

If you can handle subs, check out Gomorrah on HBOMax. Awesome show.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Finished up Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Only regret is I wish I had read the book first. Very well done.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Deadwood is awesome. What took you so long? Lol
    Great show. Like #1 said, what took you so long. The series is great. The movie they just made was a bit meh.
    I had an HBO sub back in the day, but never got around to watching it for some reason. I was much more of an Entourage guy in my college days lol.

I downloaded HBO Max and logged in with my in-laws' cable provider so I could see what their offerings look like. Figured I'd catch up on some of the stuff I've missed over the years. Started with Deadwood because I knew they made a movie recently.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

Yup, that was hidden gem. I was disappointed to find out it was filmed in PR, and not BZ though. Great show, and was completely under the radar when it came out. It's actually a remake of a 2011 series that I've always wanted to check out.

Great show. Like #1 said, what took you so long. The series is great. The movie they just made was a bit meh.

TMYS S2 will be one of bigger "can't wait" new seasons along with Gamorrah's final season. It's rare that the final eps are both great, and sets things up well for the next season.

YH in my opinion, could have been so much better. Still quality with Cranston though. I really enjoyed the NO vibe, but thought they could have done more along those lines.
    Finished Mad Dogs last night. I was already to jump into S2. Did some research on S2 and was disappointed that they canceled. From what I read, it looks like Amazon didn't want to go further down that road and the producer didn't want to alter the show.

Agree, Deadwood the movie was pretty much meh.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Started watching Mad Dogs, Amazon Prime. Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, Ben Chaplin and Romany Malco. Up through S1 E8. If someone posted about this and I missed it, I'm sorry. This is a great show. Four buddies are invited to Belize by their fifth buddy. Their buddy who invites them down to visit ends up shot dead and no matter what they do, they can't seem to get back home. Just when you think it's about to end a new twist. Highly, highly recommend.
    Yup, that was hidden gem. I was disappointed to find out it was filmed in PR, and not BZ though. Great show, and was completely under the radar when it came out. It's actually a remake of a 2011 series that I've always wanted to check out.

I started Deadwood last week. Finished season 1 last night and watched the first episode of season 2.

First, this show is awesome. Ian McShane deserves all the hype he's ever gotten over this show, and Timothy Olyphant is clearly channeling Frontier Raylan Givens, but with even more internal rage.

It's crazy how the characters can be so rough and crass, and yet how you can get some pretty heartwarming feelings from the subtle goings-on anyway.

Also, I'm not sure if it's intentional, or if I just have a super dry sense of humor these days, but there are some genuinely hilarious moments in this show that I'm not sure are 100% intended for comedic affect. Swearengen and Wu trying to communicate? Comedy gold. Doc Cochran seething with more internal rage than even Seth Bullock? Very hilarious to me, even though I know it's because of what he's seen in his time as a doctor, which is also tragic. Jewel being the only person in the whole camp that's allowed to give Swearengen shit? Awesome, and also heartwarming.

Bullock and Star being the only guys both unfortunate enough and kind enough to attend the reverend's funeral services on a consistent basis is also funny to me, though the reverend's story is also profoundly sad.

What a good show! Excited to see the fireworks during season 2.

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

Man, I haven't been to this thread in a minute so I got a lot to get caught up on.

We too binged both Tell Me Your Secrets and Your Honor a couple weeks back. I really enjoyed TMYS. That was a crazy last 2 episodes. In fact, that was one of the better final episodes to a season I've watched in a while. Looking forward to where they take S2.

I also liked Your Honor, though not as much. I love Bryan Cranston but I would agree, a little too predictable at the end.
    TMYS S2 will be one of bigger "can't wait" new seasons along with Gamorrah's final season. It's rare that the final eps are both great, and sets things up well for the next season.

YH in my opinion, could have been so much better. Still quality with Cranston though. I really enjoyed the NO vibe, but thought they could have done more along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    I started Deadwood last week. Finished season 1 last night and watched the first episode of season 2.

First, this show is awesome. Ian McShane deserves all the hype he's ever gotten over this show, and Timothy Olyphant is clearly channeling Frontier Raylan Givens, but with even more internal rage.

It's crazy how the characters can be so rough and crass, and yet how you can get some pretty heartwarming feelings from the subtle goings-on anyway.

Also, I'm not sure if it's intentional, or if I just have a super dry sense of humor these days, but there are some genuinely hilarious moments in this show that I'm not sure are 100% intended for comedic affect. Swearengen and Wu trying to communicate? Comedy gold. Doc Cochran seething with more internal rage than even Seth Bullock? Very hilarious to me, even though I know it's because of what he's seen in his time as a doctor, which is also tragic. Jewel being the only person in the whole camp that's allowed to give Swearengen shit? Awesome, and also heartwarming.

Bullock and Star being the only guys both unfortunate enough and kind enough to attend the reverend's funeral services on a consistent basis is also funny to me, though the reverend's story is also profoundly sad.

Deadwood is awesome. What took you so long? Lol

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Finished seasons one and two of 'The Boys' on Amazon. That's a really good, really fucked up show lol.

It seems dark, but I think they captured the state of society and superheroes pretty well on a basis of "if this were actually a real thing," especially the part where they gave a realistic look at a Superman that has mental health, socialization and familial issues.

Karl Urban is incredible as Billy Butcher. I love MM and Frenchie. The chick that plays Starlight could have been billed as Kate Mara and I almost wouldn't have noticed. The dude playing Homelander is also legit.

Really excited to see what season three brings, whenever that may be. I know the show is based very loosely on a comic series, and I read a brief overview of the plotlines to see where things might generally go... but the show has a lot of options. Season two provided an ending that could operate as a pretty clean break, but it also wouldn't surprise me for season three to pick up with that "clean break" having been totally fucked off-screen.
    Two thumbs up from me. Really enjoyed the show for those reasons. After I watched S1 I thought to myself this was such an obviously good concept for a show how did it not happen sooner. Or, why didn't I think of that. In a world full of superheroes there would obviously be some morally bankrupt ones, right? Doing "good" solely for their own benefit. Excited for S3.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Just finished a weekend binge of Tell Me Your Secrets on Amazon. I thought it was one of the better Amazon series to come out. Good cast, good writing, good production. I've always though Lily Rabe was a quality actress, but never thought of her as a lead. She did a great job IMO. And always thought she was cute, not necessarily hot...but boy she was fit AF. Brenneman and Linklater were really good too. Good supporting cast too. Looks like it's set up well for a S2.

Also finished the last episode of Your Honor last week. I thought the series overall was good, but was a bit let down with the predictable final episode.
    Man, I haven't been to this thread in a minute so I got a lot to get caught up on.

We too binged both Tell Me Your Secrets and Your Honor a couple weeks back. I really enjoyed TMYS. That was a crazy last 2 episodes. In fact, that was one of the better final episodes to a season I've watched in a while. Looking forward to where they take S2.

I also liked Your Honor, though not as much. I love Bryan Cranston but I would agree, a little too predictable at the end.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Started watching Mad Dogs, Amazon Prime. Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, Ben Chaplin and Romany Malco. Up through S1 E8. If someone posted about this and I missed it, I'm sorry. This is a great show. Four buddies are invited to Belize by their fifth buddy. Their buddy who invites them down to visit ends up shot dead and no matter what they do, they can't seem to get back home. Just when you think it's about to end a new twist. Highly, highly recommend.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Started watching S2 of Mirzapur (Indian gangster series) on Amazon. If you enjoy the Indian style, I'd recommend trying S1. The finale was pretty brutal. It's a nice change up in terms of style. I've heard that Sacred Games is pretty awesome too.

Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

Indeed. She reminds me of a younger Emma Thompson, who I always thought was seriously attractive.

I've just started watching Hannibal. Not really into it enough yet to have an opinion, but so far, so good.
    Loved Hannibal. I think it took me a while to get into, but loved it after 4 or 5 eps. Caroline Dhavernas is pretty yummy too.

I first noticed Dwan in Top Boy, which is another great series out of the UK. Give it a shot if you have time. I think they are coming out with S4 later this year.

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Can't find the topic but just finished Last Chance U the JC basketball version. Liked it a lot, won't say anything else about it incase anyone else is going to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    Lisa Dwan is smoking.
    Indeed. She reminds me of a younger Emma Thompson, who I always thought was seriously attractive.

I've just started watching Hannibal. Not really into it enough yet to have an opinion, but so far, so good.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied

Yeah, there's some spots that make you wonder what the intent was.

Finished "Reckoning". Good story line about a teacher that is a serial killer. Main character (detective) is hard to get into as I don't think he's a real talented actor.
    Yup, several spots. I thought they tried to get too artsy and moody at times.

I watched Reckoning a while back when it came out on Canadian TV IIRC. I'm a big fan of Aden Young in Rectify. If you've never seen it/Rectify, give it a shot. It's in my top 25.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied

I've got mixed thoughts on it. Well done, but leaves me underwhelmed at times. I guess maybe I expected better plot lines with the cast.
    Yeah, there's some spots that make you wonder what the intent was.

Finished "Reckoning". Good story line about a teacher that is a serial killer. Main character (detective) is hard to get into as I don't think he's a real talented actor.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Finally finishing Borgen on Netflix. Great show about Danish politics. The dubbing is well done if you don't like subs. I like it better than Occupied (which I thought was great), another northern European show.

Also watched a few episodes of Bloodlands (UK/Ireland) about a detective looking into old IRA murders. Nesbit is great as always as the lead, and Lisa Dwan is smoking. Good show all around, and only 4 eps. I'm sure it will be available on one of the streaming services in the US shortly.

I also noticed that the UK version of Wallander is on HBOMax. Great show with Kenneth Branagh playing the lead. They have some very good non-US based series (Luther, Gomorrah, ++). That's three shows I'd say are in my all time top 25.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Watched S1, S2 and S3 of The Sinner over the last few days. Bill Pullman is the main character. Good detective show that deals in the why as much as the who? Worth checking out.
    I've got mixed thoughts on it. Well done, but leaves me underwhelmed at times. I guess maybe I expected better plot lines with the cast.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Watched S1, S2 and S3 of The Sinner over the last few days. Bill Pullman is the main character. Good detective show that deals in the why as much as the who? Worth checking out.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Started a re-watch of True Detective S1 this weekend. Such a brilliant show. Season 2 was bad, and 3 was just OK, but S1 was top 10 all time for me. Such an easy show to binge.

On a related note, saw 2 things. One, the FX Pizzolatto/McConaughey project (Redeemer) looks to have fallen through. I was a bit excited when they first announced it. Pizzolatto is now trying to negotiate his way out of the FX deal. And two, HBO is now talking about True Detective S4. They first said they were interviewing writers, but wonder if things have changed since Pizzolatto might be free.

I'd really love it if they brought back MM and/or WH back for a season. I'd love to see them go deeper, and chase the remaining Tuttle, and others from the vid.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied

I love the Expanse. I'm a year behind.

Not on the level as BSG though IMO. BSG was crazy good, not to mention overflowing with hot chicks.

Did you hear they're supposed to do a re-reboot, IIRC on Peacock. Supposedly a different storyline, so not exactly a reboot.
    Haven’t heard about the BsG reboot.

It’s hard to compare to BSG but the Expanses story is a very interesting scenario. The sci-fi is relatively real and the characters are good. Just enjoyable to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
    The Expanse. I had not heard about it but stumbled across it on Amazon prime. Excellent SCIFI series. On par with Battlestar Galactica IMO.
    I love the Expanse. I'm a year behind.

Not on the level as BSG though IMO. BSG was crazy good, not to mention overflowing with hot chicks.

Did you hear they're supposed to do a re-reboot, IIRC on Peacock. Supposedly a different storyline, so not exactly a reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Watched Once upon a time in Venice last night. Bruce Willis action/comedy. A little corny at times, but worth the watch.

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    would recommend Catastrophe on Amazon prime to any folks who wanna watch a show with their other half

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    The Expanse. I had not heard about it but stumbled across it on Amazon prime. Excellent SCIFI series. On par with Battlestar Galactica IMO.

Leave a comment:

• NDBoiler
    replied
    Forensic Files, this is how me and the wife go to sleep every night

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Watched ep1 of Beartown on HBO as well as a few eps of the The Bronze Garden on HBO Max. Both are good. Beartown made me think a little of Friday Night Lights with a murder mystery sprinkled in.

I love that HBO is airing Euro series on Mondays. 30 Coins wasn't great, but the Investigation is good, and Beartown and Bronze Garden are off to a good starts. They have several others available on demand, more coming that will air, and their HBOMax streaming app has Gomorrah which is a must see for anyone that likes gritty mafia type stuff. Different, but as good as the Sopranos IMO.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Finished seasons one and two of 'The Boys' on Amazon. That's a really good, really fucked up show lol.

It seems dark, but I think they captured the state of society and superheroes pretty well on a basis of "if this were actually a real thing," especially the part where they gave a realistic look at a Superman that has mental health, socialization and familial issues.

Karl Urban is incredible as Billy Butcher. I love MM and Frenchie. The chick that plays Starlight could have been billed as Kate Mara and I almost wouldn't have noticed. The dude playing Homelander is also legit.

Really excited to see what season three brings, whenever that may be. I know the show is based very loosely on a comic series, and I read a brief overview of the plotlines to see where things might generally go... but the show has a lot of options. Season two provided an ending that could operate as a pretty clean break, but it also wouldn't surprise me for season three to pick up with that "clean break" having been totally fucked off-screen.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Just finished a weekend binge of Tell Me Your Secrets on Amazon. I thought it was one of the better Amazon series to come out. Good cast, good writing, good production. I've always though Lily Rabe was a quality actress, but never thought of her as a lead. She did a great job IMO. And always thought she was cute, not necessarily hot...but boy she was fit AF. Brenneman and Linklater were really good too. Good supporting cast too. Looks like it's set up well for a S2.

Also finished the last episode of Your Honor last week. I thought the series overall was good, but was a bit let down with the predictable final episode.
    Good show. Lots of moving parts to pay attention to.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied

That Cecil Hotel is not the place to stay! So many different deaths. I'm not buying suicide are you? She had to be killed by someone who was familiar with the hotel IMO. I wouldn't have thought to use the water tanks
    I think it makes sense with her history of being mentally ill and she stopped taking her meds. Some stuff was off about the investigation tho with the missing min of video and how long it took for the report to come in.

Also I think the series could have been 2 or 3 episodes. Felt like they dragged some stuff out.

Leave a comment:

• NDFAN420
    replied
    Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post

Was very interested in it when it came out, but didn't keep my attention after the first 3 episodes so I just kept it on in the background
    That's great.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
    Outlander (Looking for a way to watch S5)
    Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel
    That Cecil Hotel is not the place to stay! So many different deaths. I'm not buying suicide are you? She had to be killed by someone who was familiar with the hotel IMO. I wouldn't have thought to use the water tanks

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    Originally posted by NDFAN420 View Post
    Raised By Wolves is the most interesting thing I've seen on TV in a long time.
    Was very interested in it when it came out, but didn't keep my attention after the first 3 episodes so I just kept it on in the background

Leave a comment:

• NDFAN420
    replied
    Raised By Wolves is the most interesting thing I've seen on TV in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• BleedBlueGold
    replied
    Outlander (Looking for a way to watch S5)
    Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
    The Queens Gambit on netflix is very very good.
    Finished it about a month ago. Not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.

Started watching some of the Unsolved History episodes (topics). The assassination of JFK was pretty good. They tried to determine if there was a second shooter. They gathered all of the still pictures and film the spectators had taken to analyze and try to enhance with modern technology. If Zapruder spans his movie camera to the right just a little, it would have answered the question about a second shooter on the grassy knoll. One lady had still pics of the grassy knoll when the shots were fired, but she had used indoor film and her camera settings weren't correct, so the grassy knoll in the background of the pictures was mostly a large shadow.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Been watching Crossing Lines (probably 5 or more years old) with Donald Sutherland and a bunch of pop ins by good Euro actors. Very good. Surprised I've never heard much about it.

Also watching The Investigation weekly on HBO. Nordic show about the murder of Swedish journalist Kim Wall on a privately owned submarine lol.. Not for everyone, but well written and acted. Malling is a good actor. (in Borgen and Forbrydelsen/The Killing)

Leave a comment:

• calvegas04
    replied
    The Queens Gambit on netflix is very very good.

Leave a comment:

• Valpodoc85
    replied
    Ted Lasso Apple TV-brilliant

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Watched the little things. It's decent, not great. Great acting by all three leads, but a very uninspiring story.

What are you implying? lol
    lol... I'm actually surprised they chose it. My aunt got back from Naples and asked mom if she'd turn it on. Not sure how she got turned onto it. Probably just because of the older stars.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    My mother and aunt have been watching it.
    What are you implying? lol

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    I have some very sentimental memories of Mrs doubtfire but it is a great movie. Rip Robin williams.

Just watched the white tiger in netflix. Not a great movie but interesting to watch something from another culture.

Leave a comment:

• NorthDakota
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
    I watched Mrs. Doubtfire this weekend with my 9-year-old daughter. She loved it and thought it was exceptionally good and funny.

I started watching The Crown this week. I'm very impressed so far. Vanessa Kirby, who plays Elizabeth's sister Margaret in season 1, is smoking hot.
    Mrs. Doubtfire is a great movie.

And The Crown rules.

Leave a comment:

• Bishop2b5
    replied
    I watched Mrs. Doubtfire this weekend with my 9-year-old daughter. She loved it and thought it was exceptionally good and funny.

I started watching The Crown this week. I'm very impressed so far. Vanessa Kirby, who plays Elizabeth's sister Margaret in season 1, is smoking hot.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    The wife has been watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix. Started watching with her and it's pretty funny. Stars Martin Sheen, Same Waterson, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Brooklyn Decker.

Two law farm partners have an affair for years and finally tell their wives they're gay and get divorced.
    My mother and aunt have been watching it.

Leave a comment:

• Greenore
    replied
    At my daughter's request we sat down and watched "Derry Girls". Went into it with low expectations and was blown away by the acting and story line. Some real good laughs.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    The wife has been watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix. Started watching with her and it's pretty funny. Stars Martin Sheen, Same Waterson, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Brooklyn Decker.

Two law farm partners have an affair for years and finally tell their wives they're gay and get divorced.

Leave a comment:

• Irish YJ
    replied
    Getting ready to start the last season of Vikings. Surprised I've waited this long. I guess everyone getting killed perhaps spoiled some excitement...

Also, pumped for The Little Things coming out this Friday. In theaters, but also on HBO MAX. Looks pretty darn good.

<iframe width="600" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1HZAnkxdYuA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X