What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

I had an HBO sub back in the day, but never got around to watching it for some reason. I was much more of an Entourage guy in my college days lol.

I downloaded HBO Max and logged in with my in-laws' cable provider so I could see what their offerings look like. Figured I'd catch up on some of the stuff I've missed over the years. Started with Deadwood because I knew they made a movie recently.

If you can handle subs, check out Gomorrah on HBOMax. Awesome show.
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
      Finished up Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Only regret is I wish I had read the book first. Very well done.
      I'm a lifelong chess nerd and know several of the top players. This is probably the first movie or show that ever portrayed the game relatively accurately, especially how a strong player thinks and what they see during play. They really did do a good job on all fronts with this one and avoided all the stereotypical inaccurate clichés. And Anya Taylor-Joy is easy on the eyes.
      Last edited by Bishop2b5; 03-18-2021, 09:26 AM. Reason: misspelling
      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
        Loved Hannibal. I think it took me a while to get into, but loved it after 4 or 5 eps. Caroline Dhavernas is pretty yummy too.

I first noticed Dwan in Top Boy, which is another great series out of the UK. Give it a shot if you have time. I think they are coming out with S4 later this year.
        Indeed she is. I'm deep into season 1 now and realized she looks so familiar, but couldn't place what else I'd seen her in. I looked up her list of movies & shows and realized she was in Passchendaele. I remember her from that movie, but what I REALLY remember her from and why she looked so familiar is that she played Vera, the neighbor girl Leckie wrote to throughout the war and eventually married, in The Pacific. I remember watching it and thinking that she was some kinda seriously good looking.

Top Boy is probably next for me after I finish Hannibal. It looks good.
        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

Indeed she is. I'm deep into season 1 now and realized she looks so familiar, but couldn't place what else I'd seen her in. I looked up her list of movies & shows and realized she was in Passchendaele. I remember her from that movie, but what I REALLY remember her from and why she looked so familiar is that she played Vera, the neighbor girl Leckie wrote to throughout the war and eventually married, in The Pacific. I remember watching it and thinking that she was some kinda seriously good looking.

Top Boy is probably next for me after I finish Hannibal. It looks good.
          She's the lead in Mary Kills People (series) too, that I've been told is very good, and got good reviews. I've been wanting to watch a series called Blue Moon that has her and Karine Vanasse (smoking too), but I just haven't been able to find it yet. Speaking of Karine Vanasse, check out a series called Cardinal when you have time. Her and Billy Campbell are two detectives in Canada. Pretty good.

Top Boy has 3 seasons. The early installment is listed on Netflix as Top Boy: Summerhouse. Just make sure you start with that from 2011. One of my buds started watching 2019 season without knowing it had two previous seasons in 2011 and 2013. It's good stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

I'm a lifelong chess nerd and know several of the top players. This is probably the first movie or show that ever portrayed the game relatively accurately, especially how a strong player thinks and what they see during play. They really did do a good job on all fronts with this one and avoided all the stereotypical inaccurate clichés. And Anna Taylor-Joy is easy on the eyes.
            After watching the entire series, I still know absolutely nothhing about chess, admittedly. The show was fantastic, though.
            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Finished Mad Dogs last night. I was already to jump into S2. Did some research on S2 and was disappointed that they canceled. From what I read, it looks like Amazon didn't want to go further down that road and the producer didn't want to alter the show.

Agree, Deadwood the movie was pretty much meh.
              Just finished Mad Dogs tonight on this recommendation. Very entertaining show. Something I wouldn’t have watched had I not read it here. Good stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

Just finished Mad Dogs tonight on this recommendation. Very entertaining show. Something I wouldn’t have watched had I not read it here. Good stuff
                Glad you enjoyed. Has a Ozark vibe to it. The wife is finicky about what she watches and she is disappointed it wasn't renewed.

Comment

• Season 3 of Deadwood, about halfway through...

Dan vs The Captain in the thoroughfare! Holy shit lol

Comment

• Binged ZeroZeroZero on Prime over the weekend and enjoyed it. It really kept my attention. Fast paced show. Some violence or bloody scenes that were a little hard for my wife to handle at times but she still enjoyed it.

Comment

Binged ZeroZeroZero on Prime over the weekend and enjoyed it. It really kept my attention. Fast paced show. Some violence or bloody scenes that were a little hard for my wife to handle at times but she still enjoyed it.
                      It's from one of Roberto Saviano's books. IMO, great series. If you enjoyed it, check out Saviano's Gomorrah on HBO Max. Better than ZZZ IMO, and I loved ZZZ.

Also, just loved Andrea Riseborough. Thought she was great in Bloodline. Took me a while to even recognize her as her appearance can change a lot.

Comment

Binged ZeroZeroZero on Prime over the weekend and enjoyed it. It really kept my attention. Fast paced show. Some violence or bloody scenes that were a little hard for my wife to handle at times but she still enjoyed it.
                        Good show.

Watched the movie Honest Thief with Liam Neeson and Kate Walsh. Typical Neeson action movie, but pretty decent.

Comment

• If you don't mind subtitles (or if you don't mind dubbed voices... but I absolutely hate dubbed voices), 'Lupin' on Netflix is pretty damn good. It's a French heist/mystery/thriller/detective show.

My wife and I watched the first episode for ten minutes with English dubbing... it was so bad, we switched to the intended French with subtitles. Much better with the subtitles, and it flows without you realizing that you're reading while still taking in the action.

Very bingeable, and highly recommended if you're looking for something new. Netflix recently announced that series 2 would be out this summer, as well, so something to look forward to.

Comment

If you don't mind subtitles (or if you don't mind dubbed voices... but I absolutely hate dubbed voices), 'Lupin' on Netflix is pretty damn good. It's a French heist/mystery/thriller/detective show.

My wife and I watched the first episode for ten minutes with English dubbing... it was so bad, we switched to the intended French with subtitles. Much better with the subtitles, and it flows without you realizing that you're reading while still taking in the action.

Very bingeable, and highly recommended if you're looking for something new. Netflix recently announced that series 2 would be out this summer, as well, so something to look forward to.

Lupin is on my short list along with Sacred Games (Indian, 8.6 IMDB) to watch next. I heard the lead actor (Sy?) that plays Lupin is pretty phenomenal, and it's got a great cliff hanger. I'm currently watching Persona (Sahsiyet is the Turkish title), which is pretty fabulous and gets a 9.1 IMDB rating. Unique story line. An old/retired judicial clerk with Alzheimer's decides to punish criminals that escaped justice. I wasn't sure after the first episode or two, but now on episode 5 and loving it.

On subs and dubs. I try to do subs when I can. Sometimes I start with subs, to get a better feel for the character, and then switch to dubs. Most dubbing is poorly done, and starting in that mode ruins the show for me.

Comment

• watched Wheelman on nextflix the other day. Not amazing but was interesting. Hardest part is pretty much entire movie is set in a car.
                              Prehistoric

Comment

Lupin is on my short list along with Sacred Games (Indian, 8.6 IMDB) to watch next. I heard the lead actor (Sy?) that plays Lupin is pretty phenomenal, and it's got a great cliff hanger.
                                Yes on both counts. Omar Sy reminds me of Idris Elba, and not just because they're both big black dudes and it's an easy comparison to make. Elba has kind of this impactful, intimidating presence that fills the screen regardless of how a scene is shot, and Sy brings some of that same presence to the table. It's actually kind of surprising the way his characterization unfolds early in the narrative.

As for the cliff hanger, I think I said out loud to my wife, 'no f*cking way they are about to leave us with this'... and then sure enough, they did.

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                I'm currently watching Persona (Sahsiyet is the Turkish title), which is pretty fabulous and gets a 9.1 IMDB rating. Unique story line. An old/retired judicial clerk with Alzheimer's decides to punish criminals that escaped justice. I wasn't sure after the first episode or two, but now on episode 5 and loving it.
                                Sold! What service is that one on?

Comment

• Finished season 3 of Deadwood earlier, and just now finished the movie...

The series and the movie mirrored each other so unbelievably well. I’d love to know if they planned for that, or if the end of the show stewed and simmered in the creators’ minds long enough that they decided it was time for an answer.

The show ended in a way that was unsatisfactory in terms of the characters and their progression... but that was the point, right? No epic showdown, no last trick up Al’s sleeve. Just everyone sacrificing for the camp, because the camp was more important than anything. Everyone takes it on the chin, knowing it sucks but it’s right.

And then the movie! Everything is repaid, and they captured this feeling as if it were the town itself paying a debt. It was a perfect close to the story, in every regard imo.

Finally: Calamity Fuckin’ Jane!

Comment

• Watched Grand Isle with Nicholas Cage and KaDee Strickland. Strickland will make you glad you watched. lol

Comment

Finished season 3 of Deadwood earlier, and just now finished the movie...

The series and the movie mirrored each other so unbelievably well. I’d love to know if they planned for that, or if the end of the show stewed and simmered in the creators’ minds long enough that they decided it was time for an answer.

The show ended in a way that was unsatisfactory in terms of the characters and their progression... but that was the point, right? No epic showdown, no last trick up Al’s sleeve. Just everyone sacrificing for the camp, because the camp was more important than anything. Everyone takes it on the chin, knowing it sucks but it’s right.

And then the movie! Everything is repaid, and they captured this feeling as if it were the town itself paying a debt. It was a perfect close to the story, in every regard imo.

Finally: Calamity Fuckin’ Jane!
                                      If you like Oliphant, watch Justified. Awesome series.

Comment

If you like Oliphant, watch Justified. Awesome series.
                                        I am perhaps Boyd Crowder's biggest fanboy.

I could watched 7 straight hours of Raylan and Boyd just sitting at a table and talking to each other.

And Deputy Marshal Tim Gutterson is the greatest unrecognized comedian of our time.

Comment

Yes on both counts. Omar Sy reminds me of Idris Elba, and not just because they're both big black dudes and it's an easy comparison to make. Elba has kind of this impactful, intimidating presence that fills the screen regardless of how a scene is shot, and Sy brings some of that same presence to the table. It's actually kind of surprising the way his characterization unfolds early in the narrative.

As for the cliff hanger, I think I said out loud to my wife, 'no f*cking way they are about to leave us with this'... and then sure enough, they did.

Sold! What service is that one on?
                                          I love Elba. Luther is definitely one of my favs. I think it was my first Kodi binge lol.

Speaking of Luther, read an article last weekend that they are making a Luther movie. Also read that HBO is coming out with a prequel movie to the Sopranos. The Many Saints of Newark....

I'll PM ya with info on how to watch Persona.

Comment

I love Elba. Luther is definitely one of my favs. I think it was my first Kodi binge lol.

Speaking of Luther, read an article last weekend that they are making a Luther movie. Also read that HBO is coming out with a prequel movie to the Sopranos. The Many Saints of Newark....

I'll PM ya with info on how to watch Persona.
                                            PM me as well. I looked for it last night and found like three different Persona and none were the one you're talking about.

Comment

PM me as well. I looked for it last night and found like three different Persona and none were the one you're talking about.
                                              Will do, but it will be a minute. When I tried to PM Lion, I got an error message saying I have 200ish saved messages, and my limit is 50 lol... Seems every time a I sent a donation or beer to someone, it's now in my mail.... So I'll be deleting/cleaning for a few. Not sure if they decreased the limit, or the new version stores donations/gift notifications differently.

Comment

Looks like you have the same problem I had..... Tried to PM you, and your mail if full lol...

It was a pain in the ass deleting. Tip.... don't try to select stuff on multiple pages. I went through and selected every page, then tried to delete, and found out you can only do one page at a time.
                                                Then you have to delete your trash too. When deleting your trash, it's easier when you hit the select all, which I didn't see early on....

Comment

• Ted Lasso...

That show has no right to be as good, and as funny, and as HEARTWARMING as it is, especially considering its origin as a one-dimensional marketing ploy for the Premier League.

I can't say enough good things about the show lol. It might not have quite the same impact on other people, but the constant messages of positivity and the continuous personal breakthroughs are right in my wheelhouse. Sudeikis was perfect, and the show hits on all of the personality-based cliches that you would expect... but still somehow makes it feel fresh and impactful.

It probably helps that it was about the polar opposite of Deadwood in terms of tone and style, so coming off of a Deadwood marathon, it was a perfect palate cleanser.

I'll be itching for season 2 now.

Comment

• Three episodes left of Lovecraft Country.

It's....different.
                                                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Looks like you have the same problem I had..... Tried to PM you, and your mail if full lol...

It was a pain in the ass deleting. Tip.... don't try to select stuff on multiple pages. I went through and selected every page, then tried to delete, and found out you can only do one page at a time.
                                                      Then you have to delete your trash too. When deleting your trash, it's easier when you hit the select all, which I didn't see early on....
                                                      Try again. I deleted a bunch about a week ago.

Comment

• Gangs of London S1 will premier on AMC tonight. I watched it last year via Kodi and highly recommend it. If IIRC, scored over an 8 on IMDB.
                                                        Very good cast and writing IMO.

Comment

• Watched Ken Burns' 3 part doc on Ernest Hemingway the this week. Very good, but depressing as hell.

Comment

• Have become a fan of Director Tiller Russell. His docs are great. Just watch The Last Narc & Operation Odessa. He also directed The Seven Five (awesome) and The Night Stalker.

Comment

• Never had a chance to mention this last year but for folks in the mood for a very challenging film I would highly recommend I'm Thinking Of Ending Things on Netflix. As usual Charlie Kaufman creates something amazing and sad that my mind keeps wandering back to.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                Have become a fan of Director Tiller Russell. His docs are great. Just watch The Last Narc & Operation Odessa. He also directed The Seven Five (awesome) and The Night Stalker.
                                                                Haven’t see Operation Odessa but The Last Narc was very good.

Comment

• Watched Hotel Rwanda earlier while doing chores. Such a great movie. I think I watch it at least once a year when it's on cable.

Looking forward to S2 of Godfather of Harlem tomorrow. One of the better premium series currently IMO. Great cast and writing.

Comment

• Watching MindHunters for a second time. Just an excellent show.

Comment

• The Devil Next Door on Netflix is great. I've had it on my list and I've just had some time to get into it.

Comment

• The 95 BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice is on HBO Max. Halfway through and enjoying it.

Comment

• After watching and loving Turkish series Persona (Sahsiyet), tried another one. Masum (also with Haluk Bilginer) was very very good. Not as good as Persona, but still an 8ish rating. Bilginer won an Emmy for Persona.

Going to try another one this week called Halka (the Circle), which is available free on Youtube and is rated very high as well.

Comment

• Also saw that The Godfather 3 - Coda, The Death of Michael Corleone is now on Showtime.

I watched it when it came out, and enjoyed some of the changes, but overall not a huge deal. I know some were down on part 3, but I enjoyed even if it's not on the level of 1 and 2.

Comment

• Watched both seasons of Warrior through HBO Max.

Gratuitous sex, violence and use of the f word set in post Civil War San Francisco.

Sounds like it is coming back for a third season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                Watched both seasons of Warrior through HBO Max.

Gratuitous sex, violence and use of the f word set in post Civil War San Francisco.

Sounds like it is coming back for a third season.
                                                                                Sounds like my kind of show, but I no longer have HBO.

Comment

• Rewatched Season 1 of Stranger Things. Going to go through Seasons 2-3 as well. Such a cool show. I have never gone through them a second time.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                                    Never had a chance to mention this last year but for folks in the mood for a very challenging film I would highly recommend I'm Thinking Of Ending Things on Netflix. As usual Charlie Kaufman creates something amazing and sad that my mind keeps wandering back to.
                                                                                    Man, was that movie strange.

Comment

Man, was that movie strange.
                                                                                      Did you like it? I really enjoyed it, for what it was. It's actually pretty straight forward, once you put together what's happening (I guess that's the trick though).

The absolute posterization of Robert Zemeckis though... disgusting.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post

Did you like it? I really enjoyed it, for what it was. It's actually pretty straight forward, once you put together what's happening (I guess that's the trick though).

The absolute posterization of Robert Zemeckis though... disgusting.
                                                                                        I figured out pretty early what was going on so it was pretty good. My wife didn’t and she hated it. About half way through I paused it and explained to her what was going on and she still didn’t like it. The reason I would say it was just pretty good is I was hoping for something more near the end. I don’t want to put spoilers in the thread so I’ll stop at that.

Comment

• Watched Mortal Kombat because I could not sleep. Probably better than the others but still Mortal Kombat. This seems to be a type of movie I watch when I cannot sleep.

Comment

• We started watching The Travelers on Netflix. Anybody watch that?

Comment

• Teaser out for Stranger Things.

Excited to see if they can keep the show rolling. Other than an awkward lol in Season 2 its been a lot of fun.
                                                                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• The wife and I just finished Murder Mountain. It's about the ruthlessness of the illegal pot growing business in Oregon and the disappearance of quite a few people.

Comment

The wife and I just finished Murder Mountain. It's about the ruthlessness of the illegal pot growing business in Oregon and the disappearance of quite a few people.
                                                                                                  we watched this not too long ago. some real interesting characters up there
                                                                                                  Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

we watched this not too long ago. some real interesting characters up there
                                                                                                    And the police are afraid to go up there. I appreciated the vigilante justice.

Comment

• “Mythic Quest” on Apple TV+.

It took a couple of episodes to get rolling, but it actually turned out to be a pretty charming story set in a video game development company. Excited to start season 2 tomorrow night.

And I will say that the 5th episode of S1, which was a standalone story about unrelated characters, is one of the better episodes of television I’ve ever seen, period, amongst any show or genre. Really well-crafted story that makes you feel deeply in a short amount of time.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X