What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Maybe I'm just a philistine, but song and dance (at least in the way that Broadway does it) never enhances the story-telling, and can only detract from it. Now if the plot is secondary to an overall "experience", like a romance where the show pieces are designed to convey the arc of attraction > estrangement > reconciliation > union on a more visceral/ emotional level, then I can definitely see the appeal for women. But that's basically just a more high-brow version of the sentimental garbage that the Hallmark channel churns out.

So in conclusion... more like gayhammer90.
    I can do some musicals,... Five a Guys Named Moe is a fav. I am picky however and I won’t touch Hamilton for some of the reasons you already touched on.
    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• I like musicals and was in one in high school. If you like music, dancing, acting, and comedy in separate mediums I don't see why combining them is strange or boring.

Comment

Maybe I'm just a philistine, but song and dance (at least in the way that Broadway does it) never enhances the story-telling, and can only detract from it. Now if the plot is secondary to an overall "experience", like a romance where the show pieces are designed to convey the arc of attraction > estrangement > reconciliation > union on a more visceral/ emotional level, then I can definitely see the appeal for women. But that's basically just a more high-brow version of the sentimental garbage that the Hallmark channel churns out.

So in conclusion... more like gayhammer90.

I guess it depends on what you subjectively determine is "enhancing" the story telling, but hard disagree. The songs and motifs are generally shortcuts to understanding a character's perspective and frame of mind in a way that is inherently more engaging/faster/empathetic than attempting to get it across via speaking.

A bad musical attempts to "songify" character traits or on stage action without taking full advantage of the opportunity given to provide further context and understanding, but a good musical does the opposite. Just using Hamilton as an example: Burr singing "Wait For It" immediately puts the listener in his shoes and makes an audience that is generally pretty frustrated with his political/personal inaction in a more sympathetic mood because the information given within makes his biggest character flaw make sense. That same phrase/musical cue throughout the rest of the production is used both to mock his character/foreshadow his future actions/to remind the audience of Burr's motivations. Add to this that there are about 25 of these lietmotifs running throughout the entire production, that they all are earworms, and that they frequently combine to create unexpected emotional payoffs, and the complexity of the writing is really staggering. I've listened to the Hamilton album a bunch, and just upon the recent Disney+ viewing realized that Philip Hamilton shown briefly performing piano exercises with his mother is doing a heavily modified version of the show's musical motif for dueling, which is a pretty great nod that his character is going to get killed in a duel upon manhood.

It's weird to me that you'll frequently write about the power of traditional Roman Catholic hymns during Mass in producing a mindset which is conductive to prayer and closeness to God, but would imply that the height of possibility with music as a story tool is a cheap emotional ploy on par with lowest effort tripe. But at least women can enjoy it. *tips fedora*

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
        I won’t touch Hamilton for some of the reasons you already touched on.
        He didn't say anything about Hamilton except that he doesn't like the creator on Twitter.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
          It's weird to me that you'll frequently write about the power of traditional Roman Catholic hymns during Mass in producing a mindset which is conductive to prayer and closeness to God, but would imply that the height of possibility with music as a story tool is a cheap emotional ploy on par with lowest effort tripe. But at least women can enjoy it. *tips fedora*
          [webm]https://i.imgur.com/rFtaH1D.mp4[/webm]

To be fair, I didn't hate The Greatest Showman, and I've got some nostalgia for White Christmas and The Sound of Music. This isn't something I feel all that strongly about, and was mostly just trolling. I'm happy to concede that you likely have a better argument here. I just don't like most musicals.

He didn't say anything about Hamilton except that he doesn't like the creator on Twitter.
          Right. I haven't seen it yet, and I'll probably be forced to watch it soon and grudgingly admit it wasn't terrible.

Comment

• I grew up watching a lot of musicals as my father really enjoys them. Over time I started to develop an affinity for a few here and there. Really like some of the bizarre ones like Rocky Horror Picture Show and Little Shop of Horrors. White Christmas is my favorite Xmas movie.

Comment

To be fair, I didn't hate The Greatest Showman
              I would prefer you just say you don't like musicals and leave now.

I do think its funny that most examples that are being given for "I only like a few musicals and they are..." are movie musicals, which are typically the things that I have the most trouble with (animated films notwithstanding). There's a suspension of disbelief factor that has already stripped away most of the "realism" in on-stage productions and animated films that make music much less awkward for me as an audience member. Movie versions of musicals, particularly musicals originally built for the stage, don't have that built in advantage and I have a harder time getting "on board."
              Last edited by greyhammer90; 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Whiskey a philistine lol.

I like Les Mis

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                  As a guy who unashamedly loves the shit out of musicals, I don't understand people who dislike them. It's basically a play, but with more complexity and talent on display. There are certainly bad musicals, but the use of musical lietmotifs and themes in good musicals mean that they can provide amazing emotional highs and lows that typical drama struggles to provide. If someone dislikes musicals, I can see why they wouldn't like Hamilton. But for me? Yeah Hamilton kicks ass. Great performances, catchy music with some all-time Broadway bangers, clever writing that treats you like an adult and only really opens up after repeat listens, plus its a great modernization of American history that packs a ton of information into its runtime. As a musical lover who also loves revolution-era history, its basically a bullseye for me.
                  Musicals should be seen on the stage. Those I donít mind. Movie Musicals I stay away from and never watch them on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                    SPOILERS

S3 of Dark was entertaining but definitely not as good as S1 or S2. The one thing I really didn't understand was why there was no Jonas in the alternate reality Martha world. I also think they ignored a lot of the really interesting characters in favor of new ones (i.e. we barely saw Noah). Also teen Magnus and especially Franceska were essentially absent.

I did like how they explained or visualized various things we knew happened (i.e. Katharina was killed by her mom and that's how the necklace got there). I think I spent too much time on Reddit so some things that happened I basically expected and maybe would have been more surprised if I stayed away from forums.
                    Spoilers again

Mikkel never went back in that world, so no Jonas. And yep, like necklace part. It was one of the rare S1 like aspects that were good. Overall, I think they could have done better bringing the true origin narrative into the story sooner, instead of late in the game where it seemed rushed, and an easy way to wrap things up.
                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                      So, my wife and I just started Dark over the weekend. Weíre 4 episodes in and love it. Good recommendation on this one. Wouldnít have watched it if I didnít read the comments here.

But, I do have a question. Is it a different storyline each season or is their carryover from season to season?
                      It's all carryover, but the Ss do take on different levels with additional storylines. You'll understand as you continue. But enjoy S1. It's one of the best Ss of TV out there.

In terms of recommendations, next up for me will likely be Suburra: Blood on Rome. A bunch of folks have said it's really good. Also gets great ratings across the board from IMDB, Google, and RT. I'm told it's loosely based on true happenings (mafia, politicians, Vatican).

Comment

• I watched Hamilton last night. I give it a solid 8.5/10.

The music was very good to excellent but suffered from the same problem that many musicals can't seem to avoid...3-4 slow songs that are meant to highlight the performers voices but end up just being boring. They should have just went with the Uncut Gems approach and kept the foot on the gas the entire show.

Lin-Manuel Miranda was the 4th best performer at best. I saw In The Heights on Broadway and thought he was much better there. The Aaron Burr actor and the Angelica Schuyler actress were incredible though. Also really enjoyed the Mindhunters actor as King George.

My biggest problem was the ending. It felt super rushed, but also it would have made more sense to end it right when he was shot by Aaron Burr. Instead they try to do one final song highlighting Eliza Schuyler Hamilton for some reason that made no sense to me.

Comment

• Finished up the final episode of "WWII: Race to Victory". Highly recommend. The info on the dynamics between Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin was very interesting Especially Churchill's insecurities. FDR has to be one if not the greatest prez we have ever had.

Alone lost another guy, who suffered from dehydration. He's got a freshwater lake right there and still meets his fate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                            Finished up the final episode of "WWII: Race to Victory". Highly recommend. The info on the dynamics between Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin was very interesting Especially Churchill's insecurities. FDR has to be one if not the greatest prez we have ever had.

Alone lost another guy, who suffered from dehydration. He's got a freshwater lake right there and still meets his fate.
                            Don't you think it was something from the squirrel that made him sick?
                            Prehistoric

Comment

• Home Game on Netflix, some of the craziest shit
                              Prehistoric

Comment

• Started watching Suburra: Blood on Rome last night. Pretty good. 8.0 on IMDB. It's a prequel to the movie Suburra (which is also available on Netflix), which is based on a book about true events. More or less organized crime in Rome (normal Italians and gypsies), with politicians, the Sicilian mafia, and the Vatican sprinkled in.

I'm watching the prequel series before the movie. If you try it out..... If possible, do subs not dubs, or at least to start the series. Always good to get the feel of the character and their actual voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                  Home Game on Netflix, some of the craziest shit
                                  Iíve attended the Highland Games in Long Beach numerous times,... amazing stuff.
                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Don't you think it was something from the squirrel that made him sick?
                                    That was my first thought, but they mentioned it was dehydration. Once you hit a certain level of dehydration, you need IV's to be able to recover. Hydrating yourself is too difficult for you to overcome the dehydration fast enough. At least that's what I'm told.

Comment

That was my first thought, but they mentioned it was dehydration. Once you hit a certain level of dehydration, you need IV's to be able to recover. Hydrating yourself is too difficult for you to overcome the dehydration fast enough. At least that's what I'm told.
                                      Sounds right, i just thought the dehydration came from the throwing up. It's amazing how the people tap out over the course of the show.
                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• My niece came over and started watching Warrior Nun on Netfix. I ended up watching all of it and I liked it.

So @ me if you must.

Comment

Sounds right, i just thought the dehydration came from the throwing up. It's amazing how the people tap out over the course of the show.
                                          I noticed that there were several who were working on some pretty good shelters compared to past seasons. Build it with a fireplace and large enough to stockpile wood and the zero degree days can be managed, but it still comes down to the mental side.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                            My niece came over and started watching Warrior Nun on Netfix. I ended up watching all of it and I liked it.

So @ me if you must.
                                            My wife loves fantasy horror kind of stuff like that. I watched the first episode with her. Not my cup of tea at all but it wasn’t horrible either.

I’m still heartbroken about remaking Unsolved Mysteries without a narrator, re-enactments, spooky music and really any of the signature UM feel to it. They basically made a good true crime doc and slapped the UM brand on it.

Comment

• Totally into Suburra now after finishing S1 and starting S2. Great characters. I wouldn't call it great, but it's easily very good. I'm really looking forward to watching the pre-series movie, that is actually a sequel to the TV show. Makes me wish Netflix would finally add Gomorrah S3 and S4.

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                              My wife loves fantasy horror kind of stuff like that. I watched the first episode with her. Not my cup of tea at all but it wasnít horrible either.
                                              Not my cup of tea either, but it's getting pretty solid reviews if we're using Netflix shows as a standard. I do like horror with a good plot, just not sure I can buy into the "kickass teen girl" stuff. Might turn it on while I'm big-cookin' this weekend and see how it goes.

Comment

• On Alone there's one dude who has been real slow on building his shelter. He's building a small log cabin. Notching the logs so they lock in. Excellent idea, except he's put it off so long that it's starting to snow and he's only got three rows done. I think this is going to catch up with him.

Comment

• Halfway through S3 of Dark. S1 of Dark is some of the best TV I've ever watched. Truly one of the very best seasons of a show. S2 was also really good. But, I'm not gonna lie...S3 has been tough to get through. It just feels like they're stringing the story out to eat up time. It might be a little bit of fatigue from binge watching it but it feels like there is some manufacturing of the plot going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                    I get it that it's science fiction, but most of it is based on premises you can somewhat buy into, or understand. That circular closed loop just defies logic and is too far outside the realm of possibility. You can't have a chicken or an egg, if you don't have a chicken or an egg to begin with.
                                                    Agreed.

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                    Watching the last episode of season 3 tonight. But so far, it just feels empty.

Season 1 was without doubt my favorite single season of TV, ever.

I think the "mystery" aspect was revealed a little too earlier and now its about "just following along". Doesn't have the same revaltions as prior

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                                                    Agree here as well. I do like they made it easy to follow along but I find myself thinking enough already, let's get to the end of it.

Comment

• Disney XD is marathoning the new Duck Tales today so my youngest and I just ignored our responsibilities and took it in,...

It’s,... really freaking good. I’m like surprised how good it is. Ducktales is one of my top three favorite shows ever so I was totally prepared to compare and shit all over it. I’m very pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend for anyone who grew up with the Disney afternoon hour cartoons like I did. There are tons of Darkwing Duck and Tailspin references in it. It tied up lose ends in terms of who is exactly who in the Duck family, has much more of my boy Donald in it and is just really well made all around. It took an episode to get used to the new animation and voice acting but yeah,... Two thumbs up.
                                                      Last edited by ACamp1900; 07-16-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                        Halfway through S3 of Dark. S1 of Dark is some of the best TV I've ever watched. Truly one of the very best seasons of a show. S2 was also really good. But, I'm not gonna lie...S3 has been tough to get through. It just feels like they're stringing the story out to eat up time. It might be a little bit of fatigue from binge watching it but it feels like there is some manufacturing of the plot going on.
                                                        Yes, this is a fantastic show but you have to be completely focused on what is going on as there are so many characters (or are there?) times and dimensions.
                                                        Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Itís my job to make sure we become that family.Ē

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                          Disney XD is marathoning the new Duck Tales today so my youngest and I just ignored our responsibilities and took it in,...
                                                          Sounds like a typical day for you.

Comment

• My 9-year-old daughter loves Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry, but had never seen Foghorn Leghorn, The Coyote And Roadrunner, Tweety And Sylvester, Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam, Speedy Gonzales nor Pepe Le Pew. I got all of the old WB cartoons and we've been watching a little of each. She's loving them, I'm having a great time seeing so many of my favorites from when I was a kid, and it's great father/daughter time. She saw Rabbit Season, Duck Season for the first time and about died laughing.
                                                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• For those with Comcast (likely others too), and who like international series, Walter Presents is free through 07/19 (this Sunday).

Walter is basically a guy that handpicks Euro series for the streaming service as well as CH4/PBS programming.. Small catalog, but some good series. I watched Monster and River, two short series so far, and starting Though Shalt not Kill in a few. I've already seen 13 Commandments and wasn't a big fan (so you might want to avoid).

Comment

• Last night on Alone, this dude drops a musk oxen with his bow. Had to track it for several hours. It was starting to show a loss of blood, but was still moving afoot. Realizing he was running out of time and daylight to dress it once it dropped, he snuck up on it and stabbed it with his knife. Pretty ballsy.

Comment

• Finished Doom Patrol Season 1, very funny though weird.

Made me think of FX's Legion, so I started season 2. Such a weird, but great, show. Noah Hawley is good

Comment

• We’re watching Good Bones fix up Indy. While Hognuts let’s it burn, these ladies are doing their thing. I’m shocked they get $200k+ for some of these properties.

The mom is hella tatted - did not see that coming. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                                                      Weíre watching Good Bones fix up Indy. While Hognuts letís it burn, these ladies are doing their thing. Iím shocked they get $200k+ for some of these properties.

The mom is hella tatted - did not see that coming. Lol
                                                                      The wife watches it all the time. Since their show started airing, prices of homes in the Fountain Square area have become outrageous. Dilapidated homes are selling for 200K.

Comment

• Finished Justified yesterday. Sad it's not 10 seasons. Most fun I've ever seen watching an SC athlete win. Such a weird experience for me. Obviously not shot in KY with people who don't sound KY but after a while I got past it. Working on Mama to name our next two dogs Dewey Crow and Wynn Duffy.

Started Mandalorian last night. So far, so good.

In other news:

Canceled cable, canceled Netflix, canceled CBS All Access.

Signed up for commercial free Hulu+Disney+ESPN. Will always have Prime Video.

Ordered an HD antennae (and cell booster antennae too). Gonna take advantage of the 40+ English channels in Phoenix.

We're scheduled to get Cox Gigablast in the next few months. They're working a few blocks away.

We've agreed to get Showtime in Sept to binge Billions and whatever else they have. From now on, we're gonna jump around and hit the best shows. Love em & leave em.

There's always the Firestick for Kodi. I just have the worst luck keeping it updated.

Comment

• Season 2 of The Alienist started last night. Off to an interesting start.
                                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                            Finished Justified yesterday. Sad it's not 10 seasons. Most fun I've ever seen watching an SC athlete win. Such a weird experience for me. Obviously not shot in KY with people who don't sound KY but after a while I got past it. Working on Mama to name our next two dogs Dewey Crow and Wynn Duffy.
                                                                            You know my feelings on Justified. lol

Wrapped up Damages on Hulu. Not bad, but started to be the same thing over and over, so after watching the first three seasons, I skipped to the final season to see how it ended.

Naked and Afraid has been pretty good this season. Stuck in Africa, temps have been around 120 - 124 everyday. Taking it's toll.
                                                                            Last edited by Irish#1; 07-20-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Naked and Afraid was a little more entertaining than usual. The guy they counted on to hunt was removed because he hadn't taken a dump in three weeks and it was affecting him. The other hunter fell into depression. He was sleep walking and stood over one of the ladies who looks up to see his package. Producers ended up pulling him from the show.

My money is still on the dude from Alaska to win Alone. He built himself a food cache to store his oxen. The way he constructed it, it should keep his food safe.

Comment

• Started watching Westworld. Enjoyed Season 1. Got about 4 episodes into Season 2 before it lost me.

Comment

• Legion season 3. Loved season 2, very into 3 after a few episodes

Comment

• Watched Hail! Cesar two nights ago. Liked it, though it checked a lot of boxes for me, so others might be less enthused; and the plot was pretty scattered even by the Coens' standards. But it's free on Netflix right now, so I'd suggest checking it out if you like the Coen brothers or movies about the golden age of Hollywood. Can see why Disney cast Alden Ehrenreich as the lead in Solo.

Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. The cinematography and score were amazing (as expected), but it left me disappointed. It was at least an hour too long (165m run time!), and the ending was anticlimactic. Ana de Armas is the most beautiful woman in Hollywood, though, and she's worth the price of admission alone.

Comment

• On Alone the dude from Indy hears a noise, looks out his little shelter and sees a pack of wolves have decided to check out his camp.

Comment

• I started Sons Of Anarchy last night and am a couple of episodes in. So far it's good, but not exceptional. I'm assuming it gets better and picks up steam. Great cast.
                                                                                        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Apple pulled a slick move. They Put Greyhound in as a regular movie If you sign up for their subscription, 4.99 a month... They got me.
                                                                                          Great WW2 movie!
                                                                                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eyzxu26-Wqk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                                                          I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                                          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

• I'm loving Yellowstone season 3. It's even better than the first 2 seasons, and they were great. The storyline with Teeter and Colby is hilarious. She's a seriously unique character.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                              I'm loving Yellowstone season 3. It's even better than the first 2 seasons, and they were great. The storyline with Teeter and Colby is hilarious. She's a seriously unique character.
                                                                                              Big development last night. Can the ranch be saved? I suspect Dutton will come up with something, but I have no idea how it might happen?

Comment

• Not sure if posted in here yet. Recently started watching Dark a Netflix series. Its pretty interesting.

Comment

Big development last night. Can the ranch be saved? I suspect Dutton will come up with something, but I have no idea how it might happen?
                                                                                                  I haven't had a chance to watch last night's episode yet. I'll try to see it this evening. Yeah, Dutton will find a way to save the ranch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                                    I'm loving Yellowstone season 3. It's even better than the first 2 seasons, and they were great. The storyline with Teeter and Colby is hilarious. She's a seriously unique character.
                                                                                                    Did ya know she (Teeter) is Michael Landon's daughter lol. I agree. Good, and unique addition although I liked the girl ranch hand they had last year too. Teeter is far funnier, but I think the chick last year was seriously smokin'.

I also like the barrel racing chicks, though not near as much as Teeter. I really enjoy both Loyd and Jimmy characters, so glad they're getting more time with the whole chick story line. I was hoping Jimmy would continue doing the rodeo, but that seems to be over?

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                    I'm guessing it'll be saved by something like Indian bones on the land, or some endangered species lol. Beth figuring out a way to take that company down is probably the safest bet.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be saved. They've already said there's another season. I think I'm more interested in what the new old guy (Wade) stole from John a long time ago.

Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                                                    Not sure if posted in here yet. Recently started watching Dark a Netflix series. Its pretty interesting.
                                                                                                    Great show. There's some discussion on it a page or so back (beware I think there are some spoilers). Several on the board are fans. Sad that the series is done, but was disappointed a bit in S3.

Comment

• With the lack of new content, started rewatching Love/Hate and the Sopranos. For those with Kodi, or willing to purchase off Amazon, Love/Hate is great Irish organized crime series. Won a lot of awards, and there's some folks you'll recognize (Aiden Gillen of GoT, Barry Keoghan of Dunkirk and other stuff, Killian Scott, Ruth Negga, etc.). Anyway, great show (8.5 rating on IMDB) and highly recommend. 5 short season (28 total eps).

Also finally finished the latest season of Peaky Blinders a few weeks ago. Great quality as always, but the story lines are getting a little stale. S6 should be better given how they left things with Michael.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X