What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    Started watching Mind Hunter. Finished S1E4 so far. Very good. Love the big guy that reminds me of John Goodman
    S2 is better IMO. Quality stuff all around.

Watching The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair (Amazon Prime / Epix) right now. Much better than I expected. A buddy recommended it. The title turned me off a little but it's very good. Patrick Dempsey and several other faces you'll recognize.

Also finished watching MotherFatherSon (BBC but now on Starz) with Richard Gere and Helen McCrory. Pretty good. Hoping there's a S2
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Season finale of Yellowstone was pretty good. Several problems resolved. More to come.

Paramount has a couple of new shows coming out in 2020 that look pretty good. One looks to be military themed and the other about border patrol.
      Last edited by Irish#1; 08-29-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• I'm about half way through watching the 2012 mini series Hatfields & McCoys, starring Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton. Really well done across the board and interesting.
        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
          I'm about half way through watching the 2012 mini series Hatfields & McCoys, starring Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton. Really well done across the board and interesting.
          I remember watching that at the initial running and thinking the same thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Joe View Post
            I remember watching that at the initial running and thinking the same thing
            Costner as a romantic lead or nice guy character is little more than OK. As a hard-nosed, hard-to-like, ruthless Devil Anse Hatfield though, he's exceptional. He needs to play the heavy more often.
            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Alone had a great finale. Down to three (2 guys and 1 lady). It's ranging between -1 and -7 degrees during the day and the winds are getting pretty strong.. It's night and one of the guys is heating up his soup he made with fish heads and other assorted parts from his previous kill. All of a sudden his bedding (pine needles and leaves) catches fire. If goes up so fast he doesn't have a chance to extinguish it. He was able to save his sleeping bag, and bow & arrow, but that's about it. He calls to tap out and they tell him his has to wait until morning and it's too dangerous to fly the copter at night. He quickly builds a small lean to near the fire and spends the next 7 hours outside in minus degree weather. His was in a good place mentally and physically and might have won if that hadn't happened.

Down to the final two.

The guy that killed the moose is worried they will pull him because he hasn't had any fat to eat and has lost 35lb even though he's eating regularly. He had caught a huge trout and put it on his raised platform to keep it safe, but forgot to take down his ladder and another wolverine got a hold of it.

The lady isn't catching anything else in her snares so she's going to try ice fishing. She didn't bring an axe and finds it's too difficult to cut through the ice (9" thick) using the end of a machete and gives up on fishing. That night she starts talking and you know the end is near. Sure enough, the next day she taps out and we have a winner.

In the meantime our moose killer doesn't know he's won and goes ice fishing again. He catches a northern pike about 30" - 36" and starts cooking it in hopes that will be enough to convince the medical team he can stay. While the team is there under the guise of a med check and interviewing him about his health, his wife comes sneaking up to surprise him. The dude wins $500,000!
              I've spent several weeks just east of where they were all dropped off. Awesome fishing!! Love the North but the whole "Arctic" thing was a bit embellished. It gets a whole lot tougher about 150 miles north.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                I've spent several weeks just east of where they were all dropped off. Awesome fishing!! Love the North but the whole "Arctic" thing was a bit embellished. It gets a whole lot tougher about 150 miles north.

Cheers and Go Irish!!
                I have no doubt it would be harsher closer to the north pole, and -5 degrees may not be as harsh as -30, but it's tough enough when most game is already bedded down for the winter, the lake is frozen over and you're living in a lean to.

Comment

• Up to S2 E4 of MindHunter. As good as S1 was they took it up several notches for S2. Producers did a great job of finding actors whose appearance is almost identical to the original criminals. They guy playing Manson nailed it. Really like special agent Bill Tensch.

Comment

Up to S2 E4 of MindHunter. As good as S1 was they took it up several notches for S2. Producers did a great job of finding actors whose appearance is almost identical to the original criminals. They guy playing Manson nailed it. Really like special agent Bill Tensch.
                    I most relate to Holden but really like Bill's character. Seems like a guy you want to have a beer with at the end of the day.

Comment

I have no doubt it would be harsher closer to the north pole, and -5 degrees may not be as harsh as -30, but it's tough enough when most game is already bedded down for the winter, the lake is frozen over and you're living in a lean to.
                      The weather changes very quickly and quite significantly on the East Arm. I have a fair bit of outdoor experience including a 24 hours stranding on the Tundra.

I don't think I would last more than a few days on Alone. It's a mental game first.

As you get closer to the Arctic Circle the one thing that really stands out is the absence of trees. No trees, no fuel for fire and cooking. There are plenty of trees around Great Slave although as you probably saw they are definitely stunted in growth. Alone is one of my favorite shows... amazing contestants,

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                        I most relate to Holden but really like Bill's character. Seems like a guy you want to have a beer with at the end of the day.
                        I like his level pragmatic attitude, but how he will get all over Holden. Kind of a big brother trying to keep a teenage brother from letting his emotions run wild.

Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                        The weather changes very quickly and quite significantly on the East Arm. I have a fair bit of outdoor experience including a 24 hours stranding on the Tundra.

I don't think I would last more than a few days on Alone. It's a mental game first.

As you get closer to the Arctic Circle the one thing that really stands out is the absence of trees. No trees, no fuel for fire and cooking. There are plenty of trees around Great Slave although as you probably saw they are definitely stunted in growth. Alone is one of my favorite shows... amazing contestants,

Cheers and Go Irish!!
                        Most definitely a mental game. You know once they start talking about the family it's a matter of time. I would love to camp and fish at that lake. Looks like the smallest fish you would catch would be 2ft long.

How did you get stranded for a day?

Comment

Most definitely a mental game. You know once they start talking about the family it's a matter of time. I would love to camp and fish at that lake. Looks like the smallest fish you would catch would be 2ft long.

How did you get stranded for a day?
                          We were hunting caribou. Flew into Baker Lake, NU and took an 8 hour boat ride towards Chesterfield Inlet. Hunted for two days with minimal sightings. My co-worker and I decided that we should head further east (about 3 hour boat trip from camp) and walk some of the bigger hills, set-up and glass.

The plan came together as we spotted hundreds of good bulls about 2 miles from shore. The problem... it was late in the day so we decided to hike back to the boat and return early the following day. What none of us realized (and the guide got into a lot of trouble) was how severe the tide was. When we got back to the boat it was on its side about 300 yards from the water. We couldn't budge it.

We were way out of range for the radio, we had no food but there was plenty of fresh water in ponds all over the area. We were pretty sweated up as a result of all the hiking and I managed to find a single piece of wood along the shoreline. Just enough to give us some relief from the black flies and mosquitoes for 25-30 minutes.

I joked with the Inuit guide that I liked him better than I liked my co-worker, so I would eat him last. Needless to say, he didn't sleep a wink that night... neither did we. I don't think it dropped below freezing but we were very cold and tired.

At daylight we were able to get on the water but faced a torrent through some of the narrow straight as the tide fluctuated. Managed to get back to the main camp just before noon. They had called Search and Rescue about an hour earlier as nobody had a clue where we were.

We had a big meal and then went to bed for a few hours. Woke up to find the other hunters had shot a bunch of nice bulls from the herds we had found. I thought my co-worker was going to completely lose it. Two hunters also went home that day as they were a little freaked out.

All in all, it was one of the highlights of my hunting career... no kidding!

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Comment

• I watched Fifty Shades Of Gray recently. Meh. Contrived, mediocre acting, plodding story, unbelievable characters. Definitely didn't live up to all the hype.

I watched The Pianist last night. It was excellent. Adrien Brody did a great job and earned his Oscar. Polanski has never been my favorite director, but he did a very good job with this story. Just a really good movie in every way.

Comment

I like his level pragmatic attitude, but how he will get all over Holden. Kind of a big brother trying to keep a teenage brother from letting his emotions run wild.
                              Agreed. Trying to keep his colleague on solid land while Holden is putting on his snorkel

Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                              I watched The Pianist last night. It was excellent. Adrien Brody did a great job and earned his Oscar. Polanski has never been my favorite director, but he did a very good job with this story. Just a really good movie in every way.
                              The Pianist stuck with me when I originally saw it. I don't remember much about the story but I still have the emotions. Should watch it again soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                I agree, great movie

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenore View Post
                                  We were hunting caribou. Flew into Baker Lake, NU and took an 8 hour boat ride towards Chesterfield Inlet. Hunted for two days with minimal sightings. My co-worker and I decided that we should head further east (about 3 hour boat trip from camp) and walk some of the bigger hills, set-up and glass.

The plan came together as we spotted hundreds of good bulls about 2 miles from shore. The problem... it was late in the day so we decided to hike back to the boat and return early the following day. What none of us realized (and the guide got into a lot of trouble) was how severe the tide was. When we got back to the boat it was on its side about 300 yards from the water. We couldn't budge it.

We were way out of range for the radio, we had no food but there was plenty of fresh water in ponds all over the area. We were pretty sweated up as a result of all the hiking and I managed to find a single piece of wood along the shoreline. Just enough to give us some relief from the black flies and mosquitoes for 25-30 minutes.

I joked with the Inuit guide that I liked him better than I liked my co-worker, so I would eat him last. Needless to say, he didn't sleep a wink that night... neither did we. I don't think it dropped below freezing but we were very cold and tired.

At daylight we were able to get on the water but faced a torrent through some of the narrow straight as the tide fluctuated. Managed to get back to the main camp just before noon. They had called Search and Rescue about an hour earlier as nobody had a clue where we were.

We had a big meal and then went to bed for a few hours. Woke up to find the other hunters had shot a bunch of nice bulls from the herds we had found. I thought my co-worker was going to completely lose it. Two hunters also went home that day as they were a little freaked out.

All in all, it was one of the highlights of my hunting career... no kidding!

Cheers and Go Irish!!
                                  Cool story. Reps!

Comment

• Just started Mindhunter S1 on Monday and made it through ep. 4. Really enjoyed it so far and looking forward to finishing.

I think they do a good job of creating humor in what is a very dark and depressing world.

Comment

• I just finished S2 and its better than S1 IMO. I was somewhat surprised when the last episode finished and there wasnít another one to watch. No decision on if there will be a S3. I hope so, Iím addicted.

Comment

• Got through S2 ep. 2. I can already tell what you guys are talking about. S2 moves much faster.

Comment

• I'm currently watching the 1998 HBO series From The Earth To The Moon. It's a 12-part docu-drama produced by Tom Hanks and has a TON of famous people in it: Sally Field, Mark Harmon, Hanks (and his wife), Bryan Cranston, and at least 20 other people I recognize from various shows & movies. This is really well done and captures the mood of the era. So much of it brings back memories for me, as I was a kid during that era and vividly remember most of the
                                          Apollo stuff and vaguely remember the Gemini stuff. Outstanding watch if you've never seen it before.

Comment

• I polished off both seasons of Barry the other night. Wow so good. Bill Hader is one talented dude. I loved the contrast between his personal life and him as a killer. So cleaver.

Also started season one of Succession last night. People were touting it as a replacement for the political elements of GoT and so far it seems like an accurate recommendation.
                                            Last edited by GATTACA!; 09-24-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                              Also started season one of Succession last night. People were touting it as a replacement for the political elements of GoT and so far it seems like an accurate recommendation.
                                              I love Succession, but wouldn't compare it to GoT. Whoever writes the dialog is brilliant. The characters are incredible and I find myself laughing more watching it than most comedies.

That booty on snook isn't bad either.

Comment

• Watched the first couple episodes of The Devil You Know.
                                                Pretty interesting on multiple levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                  I love Succession, but wouldn't compare it to GoT. Whoever writes the dialog is brilliant. The characters are incredible and I find myself laughing more watching it than most comedies.

That booty on snook isn't bad either.
                                                  Yeah of course the two shows are nothing alike. I think they just meant the Kings Landing political maneuvering element.

Yeah the writing is great. That guy beat out D&D for the Emmy, thank r'hllor.

Comment

• Originally posted by GATTACA! View Post
                                                    Yeah of course the two shows are nothing alike. I think they just meant the Kings Landing political maneuvering element.

Yeah the writing is great. That guy beat out D&D for the Emmy, thank r'hllor.
                                                    I know what you meant :-).

Comment

• 10/11
                                                      pumped

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1JLUn2DFW4w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• I am watching this young lady sing a song I thought Disturbed nailed. She just might have won the Old friend called Darkness.... fight to an unfinished product...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8xysVNigCsU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                        Last edited by Circa; 09-25-2019, 11:56 PM.
                                                        I was smarter when I drank...
                                                        I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

• I might need to follow up on my perspective of a Simon and Garfunkle set with a novel piece.
                                                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wbM2_-JeDuY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#So, so ya think you can tell
                                                          #Heaven from hell
                                                          #blue skies from pain
                                                          #can ya tell a green field
                                                          #from a Cold Steel rail
                                                          #a smile from a veil?
                                                          #do ya think you can tell#?
                                                          We stand on square 1 until we decide to....
                                                          This may sound like bullshit but this Is Waters under the bridge.
                                                          # We're just two lost souls living in a fish bowl
                                                          #Year after Year
                                                          #running over the same ole ground
                                                          #what have we found
                                                          #the same old fears
                                                          #YEAR AFTER YEAR!

Ya gotta want to be engaged In order to be In the feeling...

NOTRE DAME WILL DO THIS COMPLICITY! Wish you would hang in There.
                                                          wish I could understand the Circa

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eGwtXfIH3bc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BN5Z28Dfl7o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                                          Last edited by Circa; 09-26-2019, 02:03 AM.
                                                          I was smarter when I drank...
                                                          I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

• Circa, I think these posts belong in the "What are you listening to?" thread.

Comment

• 'Mortal Engines' is available on HBO right now.

Extremely hot take (apparently):

I thought it was a pretty good movie. It's not a masterpiece in terms of story or dialogue, but it's a good spectacle with an impressive scale, and that's what I expected.

I just wanted to be intrigued by the dystopian/steampunk future, and impressed by the mobile cities. Mission accomplished.

Bonus points for Hugo Weaving.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                'Mortal Engines' is available on HBO right now.
                                                                Thanks. I'm going to give this a watch.

I started The Man In The High Castle a couple weeks back, haven't been able to watch a whole lot since, but overall it's pretty good.

I love the 'What If' aspect of the show.
                                                                "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• <iframe width="1519" height="554" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yOlU_4pzft4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome video for a Catholic refresher and a crash course in Catholicism for your Protestant friends.

The host seems to echo Whiskeyjack's points in different threads about why we need beautiful Catholic churches. It is not merely a house of God.....the "over the top" nature of the beautiful Catholic churches has a rhyme and reason to it.

Vivat Jesus
                                                                  Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Watched the first two episodes of Godfather of Harlem (Epix) with Forest Whitaker earlier this week. Great stuff. It's the story of Bumpy Johnson post Alcatraz. The supporting characters/actors are very solid.

Also watched Diego Maradona this evening (HBO) on the DVR. Very good, but they should have made it a miniseries. Most of the focus was on his Napoli days (which is very interesting), but was hoping they'd spend more time on his young days, and his days post Napoli. They could have easily filled 5 hours or more.

Catherine the Great (Helen Mirren) is also premiering tonight, so looking forward to watching it. It won't broadcast stateside until later this month on HBO, but available on Sky (or Kodi).

Peaky Blinders S5 starts tomorrow on Netflix for those that haven't watched it already via BBC1 or Kodi.

Comment

• SIAP earlier.

Bringing out the big guns for Season 3.

My #3 show current show behind Billions and Bosch.

<iframe width="653" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mSBOseNiZg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                        SIAP earlier.

Bringing out the big guns for Season 3.

My #3 show current show behind Billions and Bosch.
                                                                        Yup, it's good stuff. I love Nina Arianda (who is in both in Goliath and Billions). She's got a very strong "cute" factor. Adding Quaid and Bridges is nice, but they've really had a nice rotation of supporting cast/characters in all 3 seasons.

Comment

• Just started season 5 of Peaky Blinders. It's 1929 and the market has crashed. People are underestimating the family and trying to kill Tommy. Shit's gonna happen, I'm betting.

Comment

• Half way through El Camino right now. Hype.
                                                                            "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Finally started Chernobyl

Comment

• Woke up at 5am and my chickie is on the sofa halfway through it.

One of the few who wasn't a big fan but I'll have to watch it at some point.

Comment

• El Camino was pretty darn good. It made me really miss Breaking Bad, and reminded me how disappointed I am in Better Call Saul. Don't get me wrong, BCS is quality TV, but it's just very different. Not even close to the level of excitement, "drama", and anticipation of Breaking bad.

Totally hyped about Dublin Murders starting this weekend. Looks great, and has some of the same actors as Love/Hate ( award winning Irish drama about a gang / organized crime). Won't air on US TV until Nov (Starz), but you can catch it on BBC/Kodi starting tomorrow and Monday (5 weeks of Sunday+Monday episodes).

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                                                    Finally started Chernobyl
                                                                                    Great series. You'll enjoy it.

Comment

• The lady and I watched two seasons of Mindhunter over the weekend. I thought it was ok...kind of slow.

Comment

• Caught the first to episodes of Amazon's Chick Flick series, Modern Love last night.

I thought they were excellent. They are also 30-45 minutes long so you can ask mama to watch it and she'll be all happy with you for doing a chick flick for her... and you are only be offline 30-45 minutes. Score the points quick cuz it's better than a Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                                                          Great series. You'll enjoy it.
                                                                                          The makers of Chernobyl have a new series that just ran on BBC in the UK called Giri/Haji (Duty/Shame). It's set in London about a Japanese man searching for his brother who is linked to the Yakuza.

Getting fantastic reviews and already a lot of Bafta talk.

It'll be on Netflix in 2020 if you don't do Kodi or other.

Comment

• just caught up on AMC's Hip Hop: The Songs that Shook America.

Ep1 - Kanye's Jesus Walks. Very good.
                                                                                            Ep2 - Kendrick Lamar's Alright. OK, but pretty boring at times. The woke might like it.
                                                                                            Ep3 - RunDMC's Rockbox. Great stuff. Had no idea Billy Squire's beats inspired them lol.

Comment

• Started watching Narco's on Netflix. Through S1E3. Not bad. Follows DEA's as they try to curtail the cocaine trade and have to work with police and politicians who are taking bribes. Hard to phantom how much money Escobar had. 80 homes, bought wild animals like giraffes, hippos, etc.

Comment

Started watching Narco's on Netflix. Through S1E3. Not bad. Follows DEA's as they try to curtail the cocaine trade and have to work with police and politicians who are taking bribes. Hard to phantom how much money Escobar had. 80 homes, bought wild animals like giraffes, hippos, etc.
                                                                                                I watched the first couple seasons, loved it, and never got back to it. Been wanting to finish it. Probably need to start over. IIRC, they had a shift after S3.

If you like Narco's, and don't mind subs, try Gomorrah. Great show. And the makers of Gomorrah just got done filming a drug series called Zero Zero Zero that's supposed to be a big deal (joint HBO/Amazon/Canal production). Will air here in the states via Amazon early next year. Trailer looked awesome.

Comment

• Watched the PBS/Ken Burns series on country music. It was pretty awesome. Pretty interesting that just about every early country legend had an African American blues musician who was a mentor and how much the rich, prissy southerners hated “hillbilly” music early on.

Comment

Most disturbing tv show ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                                                      I watched the first couple seasons, loved it, and never got back to it. Been wanting to finish it. Probably need to start over. IIRC, they had a shift after S3.

If you like Narco's, and don't mind subs, try Gomorrah. Great show. And the makers of Gomorrah just got done filming a drug series called Zero Zero Zero that's supposed to be a big deal (joint HBO/Amazon/Canal production). Will air here in the states via Amazon early next year. Trailer looked awesome.
                                                                                                      I'm at S2E6 now. Escobar now has the DEA, Colombian National Police and the other cartels after his ass. Interesting how the CIA is there supporting the rebels to get rid of the communist, yet won't share intel with the DEA.

Dude had to be smart to get the government agree to let him build his own prison and guard it while he served his term. The amount of money flowing is mind boggling.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X