Any "Preppers" Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any "Preppers" Out There?

Recently, I was asked to head up my company's "Emergency Preparedness Program" and so I have been doing a ton of research on the topic lately.

I have been prepping in some form or another for virtually all my life, whether I was conscious of it or not. My parents, both being raised during and shortly after WWII in very rural communities, were very frugal and self sufficient and they instilled those things in me at a very young age. I learned to cook, sew, handle many different tools, conserve resources, and prepare for many different scenarios and disasters.

In the late 70's and early 80's, there was the great "Red Scare" and the threat of nuclear war. Dad never got to build the bomb shelter in the backyard, but we kept water, food, and other supplies stocked for the whole family and we had plans about what we would do if things ever got too bad.

After communism fell, the focus for our preps was on two things since we lived in Southern California - fires and earthquakes. This is something I have practiced ever since. What would happen if we had to evacuate quickly or, a scarier scenario, what would happen if something were to prevent me from getting home and reaching my loved ones. The aftermath of Katrina really drove it home that getting evacuated to a government run shelter or "rescue" facility is the last thing I will let happen to my family. When push comes to shove, I am of the mindset to strike out on my own and take care of myself.

I am in no way a big believer in the total economic collapse and the big **** Hits The Fan event a lot of people on the internet believe (and maybe hope) is coming. I don't think a zombie plague will happen and I don't think solar flares will wipe out all our technology and plunge us in to another dark age. However, I did get to witness first hand that the population in general does not need a reason to go bat **** crazy.

We had a power outage in Southern California last year. Wiped out most of the grid in Southern California and stretched in to parts of Arizona and even affected parts of Mexico. One little mishap in one little station caused a huge part of the grid to be out. Luckily it only lasted several hours, but in that time I saw fist fights at gas stations and road rage on the highways. People were nuts! This just strengthened my commitment to be as ready as possible.

I keep "Get Home Bags" (or "Bug Out Bags" depending on where I am at the time) in all our cars. I keep plenty of cash (small bills and coins) readily available because ATM's and point of sale card readers don't work when the power is out. And I keep plenty of water stored because, in my opinion, water is the most critical component in an emergency and it can be the hardest to come by in an emergency situation. I also keep plenty of "bullets, beans, and band aids" as well.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you prepare? What concerns you most and what do you think is the most likely scenario of an emergency event for you? If you don't prepare, why not? I would love to hear what others have to say.
    We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. C.S. Lewis

I had a Geology professor who said a big one is likely to happen in our lifetime. So I have a little kit of essentials.
    "And then secondly, it's just very, very pleasant. I mean, very pleasant." - Gary Johnson

Comment

I try to prep for everything. My wife thinks I am a nut but I never want to be unprepared.

Comment

A 6-0 start has quickly made me feel the apocalypse is near.....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
          A 6-0 start has quickly made me feel the apocalypse is near.....
          Think of how I feel! The Kings win the Stanley Cup, Notre Dame is 6-0 and the clock is ticking down the end of the Mayan calendar!
          We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. C.S. Lewis

Comment

I have been prepping for disaster for some time now- natural and economic. Either one is as likely as the other. Most people don't seem to look into the financial straits we're in and I'm not going to get political, I am just going to prepare.

to be prepared, I am saving a six-month supply of food for my family. Why Six months? Because this will be plenty long enough for any natural disaster, and recent financial disasters in England and Argentina both had affects on food and water supply for six months. I am also about to purchase a nice solar generator and have many solar-powered tools and such (like lanterns and flashlights) that have their own power-supply should the grid go belly up. Brown-outs are also highly likely in financial crises because local and federal governments will not have the money to keep them all going at the rate they are going now.

Of course, as you saw in the brief period you described, people go nuts. So if you're going to be prepared with food and water, you need to be prepared to defend yourself. A stash of weapons comes in handy. Pick those you are comfortable with and make sure you have plenty of ammo. Weapons also come in handy should you need to hunt.

I have a group of like-minded people who we spend time canning our own food with. We get it in bulk, can it ourselves and store it. they have a shelf life of at least 5 years.

I have three children. I would hate for a disaster to hit and me not have the means to feed them or protect them. As I have told countless number of people who consider me a paranoid whackjob, I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Comment

In Arizona I worked with quite a few Mormons, and they all, for the most part, followed the "6 month rule."

*I follow the "6 months of food last 6 days because I'll eat it all" mantra. IMO the price of a gun is far cheaper than that much food. In all honesty everything I enjoy (internet, football, fake breasts, etc.) are dependent on civilization continuing as we know it, so I wouldn't too motivated to slog through the next 5 decades living like the guy in "The Road."
              Last edited by IrishSteelhead; 10-15-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                In Arizona I worked with quite a few Mormons, and they all, for the most part, followed the "6 month rule."

*I follow the "6 months of food last 6 days because I'll eat it all" mantra. IMO the price of a gun is far cheaper than that much food.
                With the LDS church it is actually a year of supplies. The LDS preparedness manual is actually a very interesting read. Recently updated with more references to firearms and such. It's free online:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20859980/LDS...s%20Manual.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by GO IRISH!!! View Post
                  With the LDS church it is actually a year of supplies. The LDS preparedness manual is actually a very interesting read. Recently updated with more references to firearms and such. It's free online:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20859980/LDS...s%20Manual.pdf
                  Did not know it was a year. Where do they put it all? I never went to any of their houses, because, quite frankly, they found my coarse language and cavalier attitude towards women and alcohol offensive.

Comment

My best friends down the street were Mormon, and they always used to have a basement room absolutely loaded with essentials.

We were all Eagle Scouts together, along with my brother, and thus like to be as self-sufficient and sustainable as possible.

But yeah my sister is a slight prepper. We have a year or so of food in a basement room tucked away. It works out pretty well actually...considering I just steal a ton of it when I go back to college. :)

Comment

I actually plan on leading the zombie apocalypse. I've got all I need.

...Sweet dreams

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Always plenty of beer on hand. The little lady and the children she gave birth to can fend for themselves. ;)

Comment

I have prepared a plan with my two secrataries of defense, Mr. Smith and Mr. Westin...
                          "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

We can never agree on what to keep the most of Catsup or Ketchup?

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                              We can never agree on what to keep the most of Catsup or Ketchup?

That is a quandary.... I'm torn for ya buddy.

Comment

I would love to prep just don't know where to start and where to store supplies. I don't have room in my house.
                                Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Its my job to make sure we become that family.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatGolson View Post
                                  I have prepared a plan with my two secrataries of defense, Mr. Smith and Mr. Westin...
                                  Ha. You never know when a dose of Brad Pitt or a luxorious suite will be needed. Maybe a combination...? Are you trying to tell us all something?
                                  I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

Comment

Me? I'm a well armed person with some tactical know-how. I plan on taking what I need.

Comment

Watching "The Walking Dead" has prepared me for everything

Comment

Don't know what you're talking about.
                                        I have nothing prepared and am in no way a prepper.
                                        RIP KMC 4/15/13

Comment

Originally posted by goldandblue View Post
                                          I would love to prep just don't know where to start and where to store supplies. I don't have room in my house.
                                          I don't either, but I make room.

Comment

Originally posted by DomerInHappyValley View Post
                                            Don't know what you're talking about.
                                            I have nothing prepared and am in no way a prepper.
                                            lol

I've been thinking about this a good bit lately, I do think I need to be a little more prepared in case something did happen.
                                            Hi!

Comment

I love city dwellers who fret the return to fuedalism. Land and lead are the only real answers for a long term concern.

Rolls of silver dimes, quarters and halves make way more sense than one ounce gold coins. Ammo and food are also pretty functional.

Comment

Have plenty of water on hand. Buy bottled and store it or even use old soda bottles filled with tap water. If it gets algae in it, 16 drops of bleach per gallon of water will clean it in 30 minutes and it will be drinkable as bleach dissipates.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishinTN View Post
                                                  Have plenty of water on hand. Buy bottled and store it or even use old soda bottles filled with tap water. If it gets algae in it, 16 drops of bleach per gallon of water will clean it in 30 minutes and it will be drinkable as bleach dissipates.
                                                  I also keep a water bob system that goes in the bathtub. Holds 100 gallons in a sanitary bag. Get it filled up before the water gets shut off. Water in your water heater and toilet (the tank, not the bowl) can also be used in an emergency. There are also some great products like filters, filter straws, purification tablets, and other things for getting water potable.

For you car, Amazon sells 2oz foil packets of emergency water. It is safe to keep in your car all the time unlike plastic bottles. The packets have a 5 year shelf life, though I expect they could even last beyond that depending on storage. I keep at least a dozen in each of our cars.

Comment

Regardless of the case I have always worried what would happen if stores sold out of goods for an extended period of time... I am trying to have as much stored food and water as possible but I can't say I've been doing the best job... interesting topic though
                                                    There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

Here is the base list off the top of my head:

Water 1 gallon per person per day is the rule of thumb
                                                      Guns: I have a 9 mm, 12 gauge shotgun and 10-22 ruger
                                                      Ammo: LOTS of it. Can be used for bartering.
                                                      Battery/solar operated radio or HAMM radio
                                                      Medicine go to Sams club and buy bulk- Asprin etc.
                                                      Sleeping bags that rate at freezing and below freezing
                                                      Canned food, rice beans
                                                      Propane for you grill
                                                      Hard liquor, can be used if you get injured and can barter

i will add more after i help my son with his homework.
                                                      "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

i'm prepping for a trip to miami

Comment

Solar powered flashlights and lanterns. Vry cheap and useful.

Comment

Batteries. Water. Non perishable food. Blankets. Bleach ( to sterilize water). Flashlights. Bibles. Lots of stuff depending on where you live.

Minimum is two weeks. The reason why churches look at 6-12 months is so that they can be a blessing to their neighbors. Praying together works. Miraculous things happen.

The most successful in any field are always the most prepared.

Comment

I have two children and a wife. We have been prepping for natural and economic disasters for a while now. More importantly, we've found that prepping aligns well with other important lifestyle choices we've decided to make.
                                                              • Homeschooling - the epic failure that is public school has made us all in on this one. We plan on teaching our children practical skills as well as the traditional academic coursework. If someone is going to "brainwash" my child its going to be me not some government run school.
                                                                Saving money - when you're prepping you buy things in bulk and by adhearing to first in first out process you save a lot of money by consuming what you have.
                                                                Homesteading - my wife and I are very focused on knowing what we put into our bodies for food. You can buy organic or non-gmo but you're trusting someone else to make sure its healthy. We just bought a 35 acre farm. We have chickens and cows and plan on adding more. Besides knowing where our food comes from, live animals is the best way to preserve food.
                                                                Faith - we believe prepping aligns with our faith because it takes our dependence off other humans and puts it on the providence of God.

I still work a fulltime job in the financial service industry so its not like we're living in a log cabin in the woods. I work in the risk management field and I see all the measures companies and people take to "diversify" their portfolio. Well I see our lifestyle as a diversification of our assets that protects us against certain risks, similar to a 401(k).

Prepping makes more sense than just the extremes that people talk about.

Comment

I would love to flat out home school, but it's illegal in California... you can Indy Study your kids but you have to follow the same basic pacing plans and such... or at least put them in programs that do.
                                                                There is no such thing as a boneless wing!! Stop trying to make your nugget sound all fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                  I would love to flat out home school, but it's illegal in California... you can Indy Study your kids but you have to follow the same basic pacing plans and such... or at least put them in programs that do.
                                                                  I knew CA was a unionized state but I didn't know it's illegal to home school. That strikes me as odd.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                                                    It strikes me as oppressive.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsben View Post
                                                                      It strikes me as oppressive.
                                                                      Democrats and union thugs are all about choice when it comes to abortion. Not education.
                                                                      The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

I've decided every Saturday from now on I'm putting aside a certain amount of money to buy supplies and putting them in the basement. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Also getting a gun and a generator for christmas. I used to make fun of preppers. Now...not so much

Comment

address? before you get the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                                            Democrats and union thugs are all about choice when it comes to abortion. Not education.
                                                                            No reason to get all angry-political.

I totally understand why a state would want a minumum level of education provided by an approved curriculum. You can teach your kid whatever you want outside of that curriculum, but if they are going to provide you state universities, financial aid, etc. Then I think it's fair that they have a way to evaluate what your child has learned over the course of their education.

I have met quite a few home schooled kids that can tell you everything about the bible and "life skills", but cant do basic algebra or communicate effectively with people outside of their family. It's important that if a state wants to properly manage its education effectiveness, that they have the abilitiy to put guidelines into place for what our youth needs to be learning.
                                                                            Originally posted by koonja
                                                                            I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                              No reason to get all angry-political.

I totally understand why a state would want a minumum level of education provided by an approved curriculum. You can teach your kid whatever you want outside of that curriculum, but if they are going to provide you state universities, financial aid, etc. Then I think it's fair that they have a way to evaluate what your child has learned over the course of their education.

I have met quite a few home schooled kids that can tell you everything about the bible and "life skills", but cant do basic algebra or communicate effectively with people outside of their family. It's important that if a state wants to properly manage its education effectiveness, that they have the abilitiy to put guidelines into place for what our youth needs to be learning.
                                                                              I'm not saying it's perfect or that I'd even do it. But to eliminate the freedom to choose isn't fair to parent or child.

On the flip side, look at our kids' math and science scores nationwide. I bet a majority could talk all day about "tolerance", "social justice", "community", and other fluffy words but our math and science scores are poor. And that's being kind about it.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Also want to add that people are leaving California by the thousands (and it isn't because they fear earthquakes). On the flip side, people are invading Texas and voting with their feet.

I'll let yall figure out why...

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I'm not saying it's perfect or that I'd even do it. But to eliminate the freedom to choose isn't fair to parent or child.

On the flip side, look at our kids' math and science scores nationwide. I bet a majority could talk all day about "tolerance", "social justice", "community", and other fluffy words but our math and science scores are poor. And that's being kind about it.
                                                                                  How exactly are we suppose to look at those math scores if the parents aren't actually required to test them? That's the thing. No state has an issue with parents home schooling their kids, the only thing that they ask is that they teach a basic curriculam and take the appropriate tests. That way these children can be evaluated and metrics can be created for them to be allowed admittance into colleges.

That's the thing, all of those "fluffy" things you are talking about is what they are trying to protect the children from. There are ton of parents in this country that would rather teach their girls "life skills" like cooking and cleaning and leave them without the basic skills to get a future job or contribute to society. Without instituting a basic curriculam for children to learn its impossible to ensure that parents will actually teach their children the skills necessary to make it in the workforce.

Btw, Texas' population isn't skyrocketing because of people "voting with their feet" from CA. It's people "voting with their feet" from Mexico.
                                                                                  Last edited by woolybug25; 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    1) I was talking about those math and science scores of kids in public edu, not those home schooled.

2) If parents meet state standards and curriculum for their kids, whatever else they put in to replace "health, art, and music" is up to them.

3) If you're telling me mexicans are moving to Texas, that's one thing. If you think they're all on the books and those numbers attribute to the population bump, that's the joke of the day.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Can e please keep this thread about prepping? There are plenty of threads on the board for politics and issues facing our country. I avoid them for a reason.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        back to prepping...who's got fun toys?

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I'm getting a solar powered generator soon. That will be a fun toy. I can run my freezer and my refrigerator at the same time for up to 12 hours, which will obviously take them through the hottest parts of the day. I won't need to run them continuously through that time, either. Just long enough to keep things cold/frozen. Running it one hour out of every three should work. Can also recharge while they run.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            1) I was talking about those math and science scores of kids in public edu, not those home schooled.

2) If parents meet state standards and curriculum for their kids, whatever else they put in to replace "health, art, and music" is up to them.

3) If you're telling me mexicans are moving to Texas, that's one thing. If you think they're all on the books and those numbers attribute to the population bump, that's the joke of the day.
                                                                                            1) How would you know if home schooled kids would score better if they're not scored? Furthermore, home schooled kids are part of the US scores because of mandating testing. So dog public/private schools all you want, because currently home schooled tests scores are included in that number.

2) What is your point with this? This is exactly what I have been saying and exactly what is happening. No state limits what parents can teach their kids. The only thing that they ask is that they fulfill a basic level of curriculam and take standardized testing. The rest is, and always will, be up to the parents. If you agree with this, which it sounds like you are, then what was your original point to begin with?

3) Prove otherwise. Almost all polling, statistics and research has shown that the vast majority of population boom in Texas over the last 50 is largely contributed to by immigrants. If you take that out, their growth % is smaller than states like Colorado and Oregon.

To get back on track with prepping.... I recently went to my buddies wedding this weekend and his entire family is from Manhattan. They were devastated and mostly unprepared for Sandy. I asked them what they would do differently next time, and their responses suprised me.

1) Gas; The lines for gas are insane and it was being rationed. Many people ran out of gas waiting in line for it. Most people told me that next time they see a storm like that coming, they will fill up all of their cars and every spare tank they have.

2) Water; The grocery stores were empty by the time the storm hit.

3) Generators; You couldn't buy one for any amount of money once the storm hit. Most people told me that once they were available again, that they would be buying two. That way they either had a backup, or a significant bargaining chip for supplies.

4) Oddly, not one person told me that they wish they had guns. I thought that was very strange.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              the other convo is going nowhere quickly. back to prepping...

can't believe they didn't mention guns. if $hit does hit the fan one day and I have a ton of supplies and people know that, I'm defending my supplies and my family (if I have one).

I'm 5'7'' and wiegh 165. This guy is getting guns to protect himself, his property, and his family. Not to run around town and go on shooting sprees.

Generators, gas, water, canned food are all a must

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Don't forget cash! A while back, when we had the big power outage here in California, people were stuck because they didn't have cash. When they went to buy gas and last minute supplies like water, they were screwed because all the debit and CC systems were down. Be sure to keep some cash stashed away. Small bills especially. In our debit and credit dependent society, not many people carry cash like they should.

My wife just got me a generator for an early Christmas present. I am also working on building my own solar battery charger. I recently bought new hand crank flashlights in addition to the other flashlights I already have.

If you have emergency bags/kits, I also recommend you use them on a regular basis. Don't just put them on the shelf and store them for when the SHTF. My wife and I use the supplies in our bags regularly. That way, not only do we know what we have, we also keep things fresh and rotated and we know what we will actually use and need.

Basically, the system that works for me so far is - If I use all the batteries I have in the house, I pull the next set from my emergency kit. I then replenish the emergency kit from my back-up stores in the garage. When my stores in the garage get down to a certain level, I go buy more at the store. This keeps the supplies in my bag fresh and rotated regularly. It works for batteries, first aid, food, ammo (if you can carry in your state), water, and many other categories as well.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by GO IRISH!!! View Post
                                                                                                  Don't forget cash! A while back, when we had the big power outage here in California, people were stuck because they didn't have cash. When they went to buy gas and last minute supplies like water, they were screwed because all the debit and CC systems were down. Be sure to keep some cash stashed away. Small bills especially. In our debit and credit dependent society, not many people carry cash like they should.

My wife just got me a generator for an early Christmas present. I am also working on building my own solar battery charger. I recently bought new hand crank flashlights in addition to the other flashlights I already have.

If you have emergency bags/kits, I also recommend you use them on a regular basis. Don't just put them on the shelf and store them for when the SHTF. My wife and I use the supplies in our bags regularly. That way, not only do we know what we have, we also keep things fresh and rotated and we know what we will actually use and need.

Basically, the system that works for me so far is - If I use all the batteries I have in the house, I pull the next set from my emergency kit. I then replenish the emergency kit from my back-up stores in the garage. When my stores in the garage get down to a certain level, I go buy more at the store. This keeps the supplies in my bag fresh and rotated regularly. It works for batteries, first aid, food, ammo (if you can carry in your state), water, and many other categories as well.
                                                                                                  What are your thoughts on alcohol? I know it might seem frivelous, but I would think that a flask of good bourbon, a flask of good tequila and a flask of something overly harsh like everclear would be a good thing to put in a Bug-Out Bag. For three reasons really:

1) If sh!t really hits the fan, and you know that its about to end, go out in style.

2) The everclear could come in handy for injuries or for general first aid.

3) The good bourbon/tequila could be worth more than gold to the right person. A flask of bourbon to a person that thinks they may never enjoy it again, might be a barter chip that could feed your family for a month.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                                                                    What are your thoughts on alcohol? I know it might seem frivelous, but I would think that a flask of good bourbon, a flask of good tequila and a flask of something overly harsh like everclear would be a good thing to put in a Bug-Out Bag. For three reasons really:

1) If sh!t really hits the fan, and you know that its about to end, go out in style.

2) The everclear could come in handy for injuries or for general first aid.

3) The good bourbon/tequila could be worth more than gold to the right person. A flask of bourbon to a person that thinks they may never enjoy it again, might be a barter chip that could feed your family for a month.
                                                                                                    I completely agree with alcohol as a prepping item. It has great shelf life and it does have many uses. Barter, first aid, sleep aid, or just a good ol' comfort item. I keep mostly bourbon and vodka because we can't get Everclear in California. I also keep plenty of the small airplane size bottles on hand. Sometimes easier to hand out than a bigger bottle if you are trading, but I keep bigger bottles too.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X