Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches on the Hot Seat

Came across this website today.

It ranks BK as pretty safe. Other sources I have read have said that BK is on the hot seat currently. Do you think Mack Brown, Tubberville, or Tedford should be on the hot seat? Thoughts?

Mack Brown, yes

Tedford? It's amazing he has had a job for the last 2 years...
    "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

I find it interesting that Pat Fitzgerald is ranked at 32nd overall, because I believe he took the program to four consecutive bowl games for the first time in school history. I know after the top few this is mostly speculation, but this guy is building decent stability in the B1G. I mean they have been the best program in Illinois for the last 4 years.

Comment

The coaches from Idaho, Indiana, and Central Michigan are in the top 10?

You're kidding me, right?

I would have had Mack attack higher, along with Dooley, and throw in some Richt as well
        "raise her gold and blue and cheer with voices true"

Comment

Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post
          I find it interesting that Pat Fitzgerald is ranked at 32nd overall, because I believe he took the program to four consecutive bowl games for the first time in school history. I know after the top few this is mostly speculation, but this guy is building decent stability in the B1G. I mean they have been the best program in Illinois for the last 4 years.
          Yeah with the toughest academic entrance standards in the B1G. He's alum and was a captain on the Rose Bowl team that beat ND at home. He's not going anywhere unless he tanks the program, which I don't see happening.

Comment

Mike Riley will find a job very fast if he is fired

Comment

Mike Riley will find a job very fast if he is fired
              Agreed. He does more with less and runs a consistent program. I like the guy and could see him doing well in a lateral move.

Comment

Am I wrong or did Skip Holtz just sign an extension?
                When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

I think Mack Brown and Mark Richt should be on the hot seat.

Comment

The Randy Edsall-to-Maryland move still confounds me. What the hell was he thinking?

Comment

Danny Hope at 88? Really I thought people were fed up with him?

Comment

Fitzgerald is at NW until he doesn't want to be anymore. He's taken that program to the heights it can reach. As an Illinois grad, I can't stand him. But he has been successful.
                        www.chicagosportstown.com

Comment

Muschamp at 23 with the class he is bringing in?
                          Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDinFL View Post
                            The coaches from Idaho, Indiana, and Central Michigan are in the top 10?

You're kidding me, right?

I would have had Mack attack higher, along with Dooley, and throw in some Richt as well
                            Indiana,,,, the guy has only been there 1 year. It will take a lot longer to make IU competive again.
                            The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                            Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Dooley.... two things....
                              1. Struggling to recruit against the other SEC guys. Must do better than 2 and 3 star guys. Believe he needs a few changes in staff.
                              2. Cursed with bad luck. Injuries and crazy plays. Thier luck last year compared to the Irish. They should do much better this year IMO and have one of the best QBs in the country.

Comment

Richt's seat should be hot as hell. Players Fing up, underachieving.... but for some reason, people just love the guy here in GA.

Comment

I thought it would be a good time to revive this.

Coaches Hot Seat Ranking

1. Frank Spaziani - Boston College
                                  2. Gene Chizik - Auburn
                                  3. Derek Dooley - Tennessee
                                  4. Joker Phillips - Kentucky
                                  5. Robb Akey - Idaho
                                  6. Charlie Weis - Kansas
                                  7. Kevin Wilson - Indiana
                                  8. Dan Enos - C. Michigan
                                  9. Mack Brown - Texas
                                  10. Jeff Tedford - California

What do you think of the current list?

Comment

chizik is being exposed for the clown he his---he hasn't done well anywhere he went...scam newton was his saving grace
                                    spazi,joker and dooley's seat is motha f'ing hot!!!!

aaaaand i hate to say it...but Mack Brown is not in good shape...he looks beat down....brings in the best of best year in year out....makes you wonder how much they are wishing the secured up Muschamp??? and how much he meant to that team
                                    Last edited by PANDFAN; 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM.
                                    EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

1. Frank Spaziani - Boston College Good Bye
                                      2. Gene Chizik - Auburn One more year but short leash.
                                      3. Derek Dooley - Tennessee hard to say
                                      4. Joker Phillips - Kentucky Does it matter?
                                      5. Robb Akey - Idaho Does it really matter?
                                      6. Charlie Weis - Kansas LOLOLOLOLOL
                                      7. Kevin Wilson - Indiana No way in hell if you ask me. They are competing with some of the better teams in the conference.
                                      8. Dan Enos - C. Michigan No Clue
                                      9. Mack Brown - Texas

The last two are interesting. They have both been on the "warm seat" for at least two years.
                                      Prehistoric

Comment

1. Frank Spaziani - Boston College So Gone
                                        2. Gene Chizik - Auburn One more year
                                        3. Derek Dooley - Tennessee Gone like Donkey Kong
                                        4. Joker Phillips - Kentucky What a Joke (see what I did there?)
                                        5. Robb Akey - Idaho who?
                                        6. Charlie Weis - Kansas They will give him another year, although he doesn't deserve it.
                                        7. Kevin Wilson - Indiana He should stay, but so should have his predecessor. So we shall see.
                                        8. Dan Enos - C. Michigan Screw the Chips
                                        9. Mack Brown - Texas I was told that there is supposedly a $3MM buyout in his contract, I think UT will use it.
                                        10. Jeff Tedford - California I really couldn't tell ya.
                                        Originally posted by koonja
                                        I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                          1. Frank Spaziani - Boston College Good Bye
                                          2. Gene Chizik - Auburn One more year but short leash.
                                          3. Derek Dooley - Tennessee hard to say
                                          4. Joker Phillips - Kentucky Does it matter?
                                          5. Robb Akey - Idaho Does it really matter?
                                          6. Charlie Weis - Kansas LOLOLOLOLOL
                                          7. Kevin Wilson - Indiana No way in hell if you ask me. They are competing with some of the better teams in the conference.
                                          8. Dan Enos - C. Michigan No Clue
                                          9. Mack Brown - Texas

The last two are interesting. They have both been on the "warm seat" for at least two years.
                                          I completely agree with Kevin Wilson. That guy has brought a sense of accountability and work ethic to that program. They are competing week in and week out in the B1G. If they had any athletes on defense they could have won the MSU game. One of my best friends went to IU and follows Hoosier football like we do ND. He can't believe the competitive fire that the team has. IMHO Wilson is doing a great job at IU.

Mack Brown is in trouble. He had to clear his whole staff after last year just to keep his job and getting absolutely embarrassed by the Sooners two years in a row is not what keeps you in the Texas job.

Comment

I think Gary Pinkel could be in trouble at Missouri. DUI and his team is getting embarrassed in the SEC.

Comment

I personally think Mack Brown is terrible given he has by far and away the most resource-rich program in the country.

The problem is: who replaces him? He has no assistants in the wing really. So Mullen? Riley? Chip Kelly? Holgorsen? Petrino...? [Obligatory Jon Gruden reference].

He also has just about every high school in the state on lock down.

Comment

Why haven't we signed BK to a 10 year extension yet?
                                                "When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!" -Bob Knight

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Houstonian View Post
                                                  I personally think Mack Brown is terrible given he has by far and away the most resource-rich program in the country.

The problem is: who replaces him? He has no assistants in the wing really. So Mullen? Riley? Chip Kelly? Holgorsen? Petrino...? [Obligatory Jon Gruden reference].

He also has just about every high school in the state on lock down.
                                                  Dan Mullen, Gary Patterson, or Charlie Strong?

Comment

Tim Beckman, I know he has been there for a year but that team is a joke. I am talking about Illinois if you don't know.
                                                    Can you read this? Miami can't.

Comment

Gene Chizick, The guy was a joke at Iowa State who somehow got the Auburn job and rode Cam to a NC.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDomer15 View Post
                                                        Why haven't we signed BK to a 10 year extension yet?
                                                        Lets wait till he loses to USC first, then sign the extension ;-)

Comment

All these teams on the list probably have Bobbie D on speed dial
                                                          "I'm not a film evaluator"
                                                          - Kuejnhja 6-1-14

Comment

Mack is gone.
                                                            "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post
                                                              Which is why the university should give him EVERYTHING he wants to keep him. They have the money.

Comment

Mack better figure something out or that seat will burn up. I think someone that could be good at Texas is Charlie strong a defensive Goo-too with that talent he doesn't even have to recruit look out.
                                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

One coach who is probably not on the hot seat but should be is Mark Richt in Georgia. Georgia has top 5 talent but in every big game Richt gets out coached. Georgia is more talented than USCe but Rich always gets out coached and has his teams unprepared for the spotlight. I think Georgia as a program has reached their apex under Richt which is 9-10 wins and a New Year's day (or thereafter) bowl and a postseason top 15 ranking. But living in the heart of Bulldog country, these fans are ready to go the next level but Richt is not the coach to take them there.
                                                                  "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

Originally posted by polishjuice4 View Post
                                                                    Tim Beckman, I know he has been there for a year but that team is a joke. I am talking about Illinois if you don't know.
                                                                    He should be fired next year if they stink again. He hasn't recruited well either outside of Aaron Bailey

“@BryanDFischer: Illinois had 29 yards passing vs. Michigan. 29." 45-0?

They also got killed by Penn State. 35-7?

Also Gary Pinkel isn't even close to being fired, ppl are oblivious about how bad they are in comparison to the "old man football" SEC. As Rack Em said they love Pinkel for some reason and think they are gonna dominate in bball (which they could; besides Kentucky of course).

I don't think Mack Brown will be let go this year, next year maybe
                                                                    Last edited by STLDomer; 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM.
                                                                    “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

College ShameDay - Who Embarrassed Themselves in College Football

Not directly related to the hot seat, per se, but seems tangentially related. And hilarious.

Comment

I wonder if Coach Dantonio's seat is warming up a bit especially if they lose this week. They looked completely out of sorts this past weekend.
                                                                        Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post
                                                                          I really hope not. What are the chances that Diaco gets a head coaching offer after this season?

Comment

Does anyone think Danny Hope has much longer at Purdue?
                                                                            Prehistoric

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Didn't Charlie just get hired at Kansas? His first year and already on the hotseat list? Not really a fan of his, but that is unwarranted. With that said, I'm not sure he will be successful, so maybe they never should have hired him.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Bubba View Post
                                                                                Didn't Charlie just get hired at Kansas? His first year and already on the hotseat list? Not really a fan of his, but that is unwarranted. With that said, I'm not sure he will be successful, so maybe they never should have hired him.
                                                                                Weis is going to make more money for his years not coaching than being a college head coach, incredible.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Bubba View Post
                                                                                  He is a terrible coach. Good ofensive coordinator. I bet he wishes he didn't leave gator land.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Does anyone think Danny Hope has much longer at Purdue?
                                                                                    I've never done this in a post before and I am paranoidally thinking you were goading me into this but I will use this infamous one-liner to respond:

No.

(insert prayer pic)
                                                                                    I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                                                                                      I've never done this in a post before and I am paranoidally thinking you were goading me into this but I will use this infamous one-liner to respond:

No.

(insert prayer pic)
                                                                                      I asked after I saw your post earlier. It just seems they had an opportunity this year and looked well prepared for it even after the loss to us. Then..... they started conference play.
                                                                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I asked after I saw your post earlier. It just seems they had an opportunity this year and looked well prepared for it even after the loss to us. Then..... they started conference play.
                                                                                        Yeah they did surpise at first. Not sure what has happened since. Although Hope's contract just got extended at the end of last season too. He frequently makes questionable coaching decisons IMO. I also can't the 2 QB system that he runs. I understand if there is a lack of production or experience (like with EG/Rees) that a change may be warranted, but his constant shuffling with Terbush/Marve has no rhyme or reason to it.
                                                                                        I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I can't believe Chizic has managed to keep this class together with such a poor start! i thought the kids would have bolted by now! I see Auburn just being a middle of the road team they caught lighting in a bottle with Cam

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            3 1/2 months til NSD-- still plenty of time for kids to abandon ship.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              The guys at Auburn probably won't leave cause they're going to be well taken care of there. Tuberville was dumped because he wouldn't play that game; Chizik was hired cause he sure would.

Originally posted by ickythump1225 View Post
                                                                                              One coach who is probably not on the hot seat but should be is Mark Richt in Georgia. Georgia has top 5 talent but in every big game Richt gets out coached. Georgia is more talented than USCe but Rich always gets out coached and has his teams unprepared for the spotlight. I think Georgia as a program has reached their apex under Richt which is 9-10 wins and a New Year's day (or thereafter) bowl and a postseason top 15 ranking. But living in the heart of Bulldog country, these fans are ready to go the next level but Richt is not the coach to take them there.
                                                                                              No, you have that backwards. He is one of the coaches on a hot seat that shouldn't be.

He picked up an UGA program that had dropped significantly since the Vince Dooley days and made them an annual top 10 team. The only rival he has a losing record against is Florida. And for the first time since 1981, they managed to beat all their rivals last year, a very tough challenge.
                                                                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                                The guys at Auburn probably won't leave cause they're going to be well taken care of there. Tuberville was dumped because he wouldn't play that game; Chizik was hired cause he sure would.

No, you have that backwards. He is one of the coaches on a hot seat that shouldn't be.

He picked up an UGA program that had dropped significantly since the Vince Dooley days and made them an annual top 10 team. The only rival he has a losing record against is Florida. And for the first time since 1981, they managed to beat all their rivals last year, a very tough challenge.
                                                                                                They've reached their full potential under Richt, they're not going to get any better under him than they are now. If the want to take the next step, to the level of a Florida, Alabama, or LSU, they have to have a coach that can take them there. Richt is not it. Every big game they play he gets out coached. He has his players under prepared and overwhelmed. He must go to bed and have nightmares about Steve Spurrier at night because he outclasses him and out coaches him almost every time they meet.

Richt is a decent coach and a good recruiter but he's not a top flight coach who can take UGA to the NCG.
                                                                                                "It is so much easier to live placidly and complacently. Of course, to live placidly and complacently is not to live at all."-Jack London

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  I don't know where you heard that. Google Bobby Lowder. He RAN Auburn for many years. Coaches, Presidents, Trustees, Players, etc. What Bobby wanted, Bobby got. He was C.E.O of Colonial Bank (See Bank Failures) and ran AU's Board of Trustees. Lowder was the one that hired Terry Bowden (and brother Tommy) when Pat Dye got caught in the Eric Ramsey Scandal. The NCAA told AU to dump Dye. Auburn let Dye resign and then was appointed Assistant to the President of Auburn. Dye was a Trustee in Lowder's Bank. Lowder picked Terry Bowded as the heir. Dye agitated then as he is now with Chizik. Bowden got canned and Lowder induced Tuberville out of MS. It was Lowder's plane that carried the AU Pres, AD, and a Trustee to negotiate secretly with Petrino in season while Tuberville was AU's head coach. The 3 guys on the plane all lost their AU jobs but not the guy who sent them on his plane. After that fiasco Lowder was forced to hang on to Tubs but life obviously wasn't present.

Chizik was AU's first choice. If I recall correctly he was more like 4th, 5th, or 6th. Many coached didn't want to mess with the politics at Auburn. Chizik went 8-5 then got Cam for a year and went 13-0 and then went back to 8-5. This year he has no QB and may go 1-11. AU rewrote his contract after the NC. He has a substantial buyout but it decreases at $230K - $250K per month. There was a local article this week that AU will probably wait until December knocking off $.75 mill of the buyout.

I agree with you on Richt. The other posters comments don't jive with Richt's record. UGA wins less than 65% of its games historically. Dooley in the second most successful coach in UGA's history winning .715 of his games. Richt IS the winningest coach with .7400. There is one guy that coached 3 years in the early 1920's that won at a higher rate by an infinitesimal .00138.

Dooley actuall won a lessor rate of success than Richt. And keep in mind Dooley never had to face Saban, Suppier, or Miles.

Dooley did win a NC (with Herschel Walker) and 6 SEC Championships (3 were Co-champions) in 25 years. Richt in 11 years has won 2 SEC Championships but it's a bigger and tougher conference now than then.

Dooley was 17-4-1 against SCA. But the didn't have Spurrier or even Holtz. Joe Morrison, The Man in Black, was the only coach of note. Richt is 4-3 against Spurrier at SCA. How many coaches have done that well against Spurrier?

Dooley had to face Bear Bryant but only evey 3 years going 3-5. Richt is 3-1 against the Tide. 1-1 v Saban.

Dooley was 17-8-1 against the Gators when UF was not a SEC contender. Richt is 7-4.

The other poster says Richt has reached a plateau. Perhaps he has but it's a better plateau than they on at any time in their history. He took them to an new plateau.

If UGA sacks Richt who are they going to get? Petrino? Leach? Strong is doing well at UL but that's not the SEC. Guys like Saban, Stoops, etc are leaving what they've got now to go to Athens. Mike Riley who is from the South has turned down at least two SEC gigs in recent years including "coming home to mama".
                                                                                                  Last edited by BGIF; 10-18-2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    With the way Dana Holgorsen has turned the offense around at UWV do you think there is a chance IF Texas get rid of mack that he would be intrested in that job?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X