No announcement yet.

Everything Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend of mine met Jack Nicklaus at the course the other day. Jack even posed with him for a photo.

Comment

• Forgot to tell you guys I went to a practice round at the US Open @ Pebble. Absolutely stunning course.

Comment

• Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
        Forgot to tell you guys I went to a practice round at the US Open @ Pebble. Absolutely stunning course.
        That's awesome! I snuck onto the 18th green for a photo when I did 17 mile drive one time. Would've loved to get tickets this year and see the whole course w/ Tiger out there.

So I went to the range today with a few buddies. Was amazed at how much farther they hit the ball than me. *I don't claim to be a big hitter. I've never had lessons and I've had three back surgeries. But I can still hit the ball what most data suggests to be "above average."

I hit my 6i 165 yards. All three of these guys were hitting their 6i 195-200 yards...with range balls. Two of the three others probably have single-digit handicaps. The third guy is about like me, in the +15 range. I just can't figure out how amateur golfers are hitting the ball as far as some of the pros (average 6i for a pro is 185 I believe).

Any thoughts on this? How far do you guys carry your 6i?

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedBlueGold View Post
          That's awesome! I snuck onto the 18th green for a photo when I did 17 mile drive one time. Would've loved to get tickets this year and see the whole course w/ Tiger out there.

So I went to the range today with a few buddies. Was amazed at how much farther they hit the ball than me. *I don't claim to be a big hitter. I've never had lessons and I've had three back surgeries. But I can still hit the ball what most data suggests to be "above average."

I hit my 6i 165 yards. All three of these guys were hitting their 6i 195-200 yards...with range balls. Two of the three others probably have single-digit handicaps. The third guy is about like me, in the +15 range. I just can't figure out how amateur golfers are hitting the ball as far as some of the pros (average 6i for a pro is 185 I believe).

Any thoughts on this? How far do you guys carry your 6i?
          Jacked up lofts are a big thing in GI irons. That 6 iron in the set is really set at a 4 iron loft or so. It's all about distance, and amatuer golfers eat it up. Those irons are designed to get the ball in the air very quickly, with a lot of height too.

I can hit my (somewhat) forged 6 iron about 185 or so, maybe more if I really pure it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
            Jacked up lofts are a big thing in GI irons. That 6 iron in the set is really set at a 4 iron loft or so. It's all about distance, and amatuer golfers eat it up. Those irons are designed to get the ball in the air very quickly, with a lot of height too.

I can hit my (somewhat) forged 6 iron about 185 or so, maybe more if I really pure it.
            Good point about the lofts. My AP2 6i is 31 degrees (apparently 30 is the standard loft for most pros). For comparison, the AP1 and AP3 are 27 and 28 degrees respectively (which is what my 5i is lofted).

However, today, we used the same 6i. The new Srixon Z-Forged blade. Lofted at 29 degrees. And these guys were hammering it. They switched back to their own 6i and hit it the same distance.

Comment

• FOUND THE GOLF THREAD!!!!!
              " Brendon Clark for QB 2021"

Comment

• https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/0...amateur-event/

Its not about what's in the bag.

Comment

• Courses open down there? (Did they ever close?)

Comment

• Originally posted by InKellyWeTrust View Post
                    You go Tony. Gary, IN ---> AZ. Been there, done that.

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
                    Courses open down there? (Did they ever close?)
                    Never closed.

Comment

• Tracks are open in MN and Wisco. Played 5 rounds so far.

Comment

• All courses closed for 7 weeks in Ireland. Reopen Monday. Been teaching high school from home with strict lockdown. Going crazy for a game.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by deise mike View Post
                          All courses closed for 7 weeks in Ireland. Reopen Monday. Been teaching high school from home with strict lockdown. Going crazy for a game.
                          A lot of Links courses in Ireland, or is that more of a Scottish thing? Sorry for my ignorance, I should know more about the Islands, by Grandmother is from London.

Comment

• I'd played previously, but very inconsistently. Now, it's one of the few activities I can do, and I've really been getting into it. I have a set of hand-me-down clubs from my grandpa and am looking to upgrade.

Does anyone have recommendations for a new iron set? Or at least the important things I should be considering?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDShark View Post
                              I'd played previously, but very inconsistently. Now, it's one of the few activities I can do, and I've really been getting into it. I have a set of hand-me-down clubs from my grandpa and am looking to upgrade.

Does anyone have recommendations for a new iron set? Or at least the important things I should be considering?
                              My personal opinion is Callaway irons and Taylor Made drivers. Wedges I would go Callaway or Cleveland. That is what I carry. However my recommendation wit ha bullet would be go to a golf store, hit as many demo sets as they will let you. Try different lies/grips. If you want to go a step further, seek out their advise and get a fit. If not ad least demo a few sets before buying.

Club preference is super subjective, but I really like what Callaway does.

Grip preference is a whole different ball game. I have used Lamkin and Golf Pride in the past, regular grip. I recently put Golf Pride mid grips ( a little thicker) on my wedges. Test these out as well, but Golf Pride is my go to right now.
                              Last edited by StPaul_Irish; 05-14-2020, 08:23 AM. Reason: Forgot my bit about grips

Comment

• Originally posted by StPaul_Irish View Post
                                My personal opinion is Callaway irons and Taylor Made drivers. Wedges I would go Callaway or Cleveland. That is what I carry. However my recommendation wit ha bullet would be go to a golf store, hit as many demo sets as they will let you. Try different lies/grips. If you want to go a step further, seek out their advise and get a fit. If not ad least demo a few sets before buying.

Club preference is super subjective, but I really like what Callaway does.
                                Thanks for the recommendations. I figured getting them in my hands would be important despite nearly pulling the trigger on buying them sight unseen online last night. There was a deal on the XR OS irons, but I wasn't sure if "oversized" would feel comfortable / normal to me.

Comment

• XR OS are nice clubs, just a little more forgiving, better control if you struggle with shot shaping and you are not a pure ball striker. It is like an aluminum bat vs a wood bad. Bigger sweet spot.

Comment

A lot of Links courses in Ireland, or is that more of a Scottish thing? Sorry for my ignorance, I should know more about the Islands, by Grandmother is from London.
                                    Some of the more famous ones are links, probably about 20-30%. All the inland courses are parkland. Nice mix as nobody lives more than about 50-60 miles from the coast.

To be sure, were only a small island.
                                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by deise mike View Post
                                      All courses closed for 7 weeks in Ireland. Reopen Monday. Been teaching high school from home with strict lockdown. Going crazy for a game.
                                      Glad to hear the wait is almost over there, we just got approval in Ontario to play starting Friday. How's the weather, is it worth playing right now?

Comment

• We've been open for two weeks (Illinois). I've gotten out seven times now and only had one really poor ball striking day. That was also the day I was practicing my putter and forgot it in my living room. Ended up using my 3 iron on the greens.
                                        Last edited by Jimmy3Putt; 05-14-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy3Putt View Post
                                          We've been open for two weeks (Illinois). I've gotten out seven times now and only had one really poor ball striking day. That was also the day I was practicing my putter and forgot it in my living room. Ended up using my 3 iron on the greens.

You need a putter? I just hole it from the tee, or chip in.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
                                            Glad to hear the wait is almost over there, we just got approval in Ontario to play starting Friday. How's the weather, is it worth playing right now?

Cool but no rain for weeks. The word is that they are looking spectacular. We are use to playing in 50-60 deg temps, as long as its dry and not blowing a gale. Strong winds are the greatest and most common problem here.
                                            sigpic

Comment

• The courses owned by South Bend opened up on Monday. Privately owned courses like Blackthorn never closed. I started my season in late March. With the warm weather arriving, I'll be going around twice a week.

Comment

• IE version of WITB
                                                Sound off

Comment

• Anyone else a Lefty on here?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDShark View Post
                                                    I'd played previously, but very inconsistently. Now, it's one of the few activities I can do, and I've really been getting into it. I have a set of hand-me-down clubs from my grandpa and am looking to upgrade.

Best thing you can do is get fitted. Everyone is different so what works for me, may not work for you. And by getting fitted, they can dial in some things so your misses aren't as bad.

Comment

IE version of WITB
                                                      Sound off
                                                      D: Callaway Maverick Max (I've got the big right miss at times)
                                                      3W: Nike Sasquatch
                                                      2/3 Hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z
                                                      3/4 Hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z
                                                      5-PW: Cobra Fly-Z
                                                      50 degree: Vokey SM7
                                                      56 degree: Taylormade wedge (can't remember what style and my clubs are in my car)
                                                      60 degree: See 56 degree
                                                      Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 1

Comment

Anyone else a Lefty on here?
                                                        I am. Do you have questions about equipment or anything?
                                                        "Hope is for those people who aren't prepared" Lou Holtz

Comment

• D: Titleist 909 D3
                                                          3W: Titleist 910F
                                                          2/3 Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 2
                                                          4-PW: Callaway X Forged
                                                          52 degree- Vokey
                                                          56 degree: Vokey
                                                          60 degree: Vokey
                                                          Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport
                                                          Ball: Titleist Pro-V1 or Vice Pro Plus

Comment

• Originally posted by POTUS2017 View Post
                                                            D: Titleist 909 D3
                                                            3W: Titleist 910F
                                                            2/3 Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 2
                                                            4-PW: Callaway X Forged
                                                            52 degree- Vokey
                                                            56 degree: Vokey
                                                            60 degree: Vokey
                                                            Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport
                                                            Ball: Titleist Pro-V1 or Vice Pro Plus

Dang, that driver is like ten years old.
                                                            I'm too much of a club ho to go that long between updates!

Comment

• My WITB:

Ping G400 LST Driver
                                                              Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
                                                              Callaway Apex 19 3 Hybrid
                                                              3-PW Miura CB57
                                                              Miura Y Grind 53
                                                              Callaway PM Grind 58
                                                              Scotty Golo 3

Comment

I am.

My driver has a gnarly hook, so I've stuck with my hybrid on the tee box and it has worked well for me.
                                                                Last edited by arrowryan; 05-15-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

My WITB:

Ping G400 LST Driver
                                                                  Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
                                                                  Callaway Apex 19 3 Hybrid
                                                                  3-PW Miura CB57
                                                                  Miura Y Grind 53
                                                                  Callaway PM Grind 58
                                                                  Scotty Golo 3
                                                                  IMO you have the best woods in golf and based upon your iron set up you must really be able to strike it well.
                                                                  "Hope is for those people who aren't prepared" Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by twig21 View Post
                                                                    IMO you have the best woods in golf and based upon your iron set up you must really be able to strike it well.
                                                                    I love the G400. The crazy turbulators have really grown on me and frame your ball perfectly for alignment. It's really muted for a Ping and pretty long.
                                                                    Last edited by Jimmy3Putt; 05-15-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• D: TaylorMade M5
                                                                      3W: TaylorMade Jetspeed
                                                                      3 Hybrid: Taylormade R15
                                                                      4-GW: Wilson Staff C300 Forged
                                                                      54 degree: Vokey SM 7
                                                                      58 degree: Vokey SM 7
                                                                      Putter: Odyssey mallet (It's a two ball I know that, got it from a family friend)
                                                                      Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

D, 4-GW are all X flex with the 3W and 3H stiff (older, should be X flex).

Comment

Yep 68 yr old 8/9 handicap mizuno st180 60 gram shaft 9.5 loft, calloway 3 x series 60 gram regular shaft 13.0 loft, calloway 2 hybrid xhot firm shaft 16.0 loft, 3/4/5/ hybrid by a local shop called integra firm shafts 19/22/25 lofts, now the real news went Thomas golf for hybrids from 6-pw play them all mid stance like 5 hybrid and my game has improved immensely kept my old cobra king fp gw sw (15 years old ) for 60 yards and in and chipping, taylor made black mallet putter(white smoke), shot 75 today from senior tees at my course 6400 yards but the Thomas golf all hybrids really have improved my game. I carry the driver about 250/260 still but my short game has never been good until the Thomas golf hybrids they are a game changer for seniors. Its made things a lot easier especially if you have a shallow swing plane like I do. Thomas golf is something to look into. Average score 79-82 but today was a scorecard keeper. And yes getting fitted is paramount important.
                                                                        Last edited by irishtrain; 05-16-2020, 12:33 AM.
                                                                        Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

• I may or may not have hit a 305 yard drive yesterday. The wind may or may not have helped me. I don't care, it still happened.

Comment

• Headed to the Prairie Club in Nebraska on Sunday and Monday. Will get 4 rounds in plus whatever we decide to play on the HORSE Course, should play about 90 holes of golf in 2 days. The weather looks perfect too. Can't wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                                                              Headed to the Prairie Club in Nebraska on Sunday and Monday. Will get 4 rounds in plus whatever we decide to play on the HORSE Course, should play about 90 holes of golf in 2 days. The weather looks perfect too. Can't wait.
                                                                              Good luck! I hope to get at least 36 in, more if the boss will let me.

Comment

• Tiger Woods injured in a car wreck.

https://247sports.com/Article/Tiger-...ife-161368095/
                                                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• What is the over/under he was drunk?
                                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• I would guess more heavily medicated on pain killers

Comment

• Thankfully not life threatening. Tiger is a LEGEND and an icon of my childhood. Hope he can somehow come back from this!

Comment

• Lots of talk of him looking drunk/high this past weekend. Not surprising with his past history and recent surgery. Hope he comes out of this ok.
                                                                                        [TWITTER]https://twitter.com/GeekedSports/status/1363612704649453574?s=20[/TWITTER]
                                                                                        Last edited by NDRock; 02-23-2021, 04:36 PM.
                                                                                        "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Yeah his appearance on the broadcast on Sunday just gave off the vibe that something wasn't right. He recently had another procedure on his back but was supposedly doing well and back to golf related activities shortly after. Scary situation given his past, hoping for the best for him and his kids.

Comment

• People thought Chadwick Boseman was on crack. Turned out he was dying of cancer.

Tiger Woods has two kids. Whatever the circumstances here, that's really all I give a damn about. If he's got issues, again, that led to this I hope he sorts them for the sake of his children.
                                                                                            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Last edited by clashmore_mike; 04-11-2021, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                              Working...
                                                                                              X