Everything Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Golf

Guess we need a thread dedicated to golf kind of like soccer.

I have my money on Tiger Woods winning the Open. He didn't even play that well today and was still at -3.

Also, how is everyone at golf. I have been golfing 18 holes twice a week now the whole summer and have gotten pretty good. I was always a good golfer but not this good. Shot an 80 today which beat my career best by 6 strokes because I had back to back birdies on 17 and 18. It was pretty wild.

What's everyone's go to club? Off the tee other than par 3's obviously I hit about a 250-270 yard average 3 wood.

I'd really like to start playing golf. It's just a difficult sport to get into when you:
    1) Know nothing.
    2) Have no clubs.
    3) Have no money.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
      I'd really like to start playing golf. It's just a difficult sport to get into when you:
      1) Know nothing.
      2) Have no clubs.
      3) Have no money.
      Your out of luck then. ha jk, if you know nothing, read the book "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect". After that, go out and purchase a set of irons woods and a driver either off ebay or go to Dick's Sporting Goods and get the clubs that are about two years old. Those shouldn't be too expensive. After that, I suggest going to the driving range and get 2-3 lessons. Do all this as it makes economic sense to you, and you should be a fairly respectable golfer. You also can always practice in your back yard or the park if you just get some plastic wiffle golf balls or just wanna hit some chip shots with your sand wedge.

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

I have my money on Tiger Woods winning the Open. He didn't even play that well today and was still at -3.

Also, how is everyone at golf. I have been golfing 18 holes twice a week now the whole summer and have gotten pretty good. I was always a good golfer but not this good. Shot an 80 today which beat my career best by 6 strokes because I had back to back birdies on 17 and 18. It was pretty wild.

What's everyone's go to club? Off the tee other than par 3's obviously I hit about a 250-270 yard average 3 wood.
        Are you some kind of witch or wizard?

Way to go out on a limb there, Dan... lmfao

By the way, I'd have to put my money on me having to take a dump around 2 or 3 pm tomorrow afternoon. Call it a hunch. Tell your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
          Are you some kind of witch or wizard?

Way to go out on a limb there, Dan... lmfao

By the way, I'd have to put my money on me having to take a dump around 2 or 3 pm tomorrow afternoon. Call it a hunch. Tell your friends.

hey now! He hasn't won a major since what 09? Many have said he will never win a major again haha. I did go out on a limb there. It was a sturdy limb, but I still did it haha

Comment

hey now! He hasn't won a major since what 09? Many have said he will never win a major again haha. I did go out on a limb there. It was a sturdy limb, but I still did it haha
            lol... well played.

Comment

If anyone wants a swing analysis I am a PGA Professional in Pasadena, Cal. I would be glad to discuss your swing if you send me a video of your move.
              "Hope is for those people who aren't prepared" Lou Holtz

Comment

during the height of golf season, i'm about an 8 handicap. i don't hit it long, but i'm fairly straight. probably hit my drives around 260 on a good day with the win....haha. hit my 8 iron 145.

love the game, but don't play it nearly as much as i'd like to. the problem i've been battling with my swing is casting/over the top. my goal is to get to a point where my swing is somewhat repetitive.

right now, i consider myself a good athlete that plays golf. i want to eventually become a golfer.
                --cheers,
                tank

Comment

Live on and play at the Falmouth Country Club in Falmouth Maine. Currently hosting the New England Amateur tournament. Course ate up the first day leaders during the second round. Couple weeks ago, the Ladies Legends played here. They can still play pretty well. 8 index. Playing at the Portland Country Club Fri and Sat in the Men's Invitational, Member Guest. Got my one and only (thus far) ace there 2 years ago. 8 iron, 154 yards 4th hole. It was sweet. Just missed my 2nd ace on the 7th there last weekend. Nothing like a 110 year old seaside course, except maybe a 110 year old seaside course w a cold beer after the round. 18 holes tomorrow, 27 on Sat.
                  Heading to Ryder Cup in Sept., can't wait. Hit 'Em straight.

Comment

Originally posted by twig21 View Post
                    If anyone wants a swing analysis I am a PGA Professional in Pasadena, Cal. I would be glad to discuss your swing if you send me a video of your move.
                    That would be great! The problem would be which swing to send. I seem to create a new one every couple of holes or so..... LOL
                    Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

Comment

That's nice of you. I would take advantage. But unfortunately my golf swing has yet to exist. But I assure you, if it ever does, it will be sublime. Imagine a mix between Charles Barkley and this guy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cvg7650y6MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Me2SouthBend View Post
                        Live on and play at the Falmouth Country Club in Falmouth Maine. Currently hosting the New England Amateur tournament. Course ate up the first day leaders during the second round. Couple weeks ago, the Ladies Legends played here. They can still play pretty well. 8 index. Playing at the Portland Country Club Fri and Sat in the Men's Invitational, Member Guest. Got my one and only (thus far) ace there 2 years ago. 8 iron, 154 yards 4th hole. It was sweet. Just missed my 2nd ace on the 7th there last weekend. Nothing like a 110 year old seaside course, except maybe a 110 year old seaside course w a cold beer after the round. 18 holes tomorrow, 27 on Sat.
                        Heading to Ryder Cup in Sept., can't wait. Hit 'Em straight.
                        I am jealous. That sounds awesome. I almost had my first ace today. Par 3 11th hole at Black Bear Golf Club in NJ if anyone has ever played it. Only 130 yards about, but down hill so it played about 120-115. Took my pitching wedge stuck it about a foot from the hole but because of the slope rolled about 5 feet to the left of the pin but i think at one point was a couple inches away. was so excited I snapped a quick picture of the ball mark and the pin on my phone haha.

Comment

I try to golf once or twice a month around Northern California. We're attempting to play a round at as many different courses as possible. My favorite right now is the Olympic Club that just hosted the US Open. We are blessed with an amazing amount of beautiful golf clubs here in California with great weather just about all year long.

We also have a lot of something else here in California:)

Comment

I shot a 43 today on a tough 9 hole course which is good for me. I've only been playing seriously for maybe 5 years. But I feel like I'm making strides this year. My best club right now is probably my driver. I taped my swing earlier this year and was surprised to see how bad I was "chicken winging" my right arm. I started sort of throwing my right arm underneath and I've been crushing the ball. I hit a couple balls around 290 today. Unfortunately I screwed one those up by sailing my next shot into a trap but overall I played decent. I birdied the 9th hole which I've never done before so I was pretty happy.

Comment

are you serious???
                              Originally posted by tadman95 View Post
                              That would be great! The problem would be which swing to send. I seem to create a new one every couple of holes or so..... LOL
                              this seems a lot like me!!

i just started playing this year as my soon to be father in law is a golf junkie and so is my soon to be brother in law...i slice everything to the right when driving except for about 5 holes...i have listened to everyones opinion as to what is going on but i can't seem to get consistency...but man i don't know if there has been a sport that has given me this kind of excitement to play...i play about 1x a week and i find myself right after we are done wanting to play another 18..(drinking the whole time really helps) i have never watched golf on tv as i found it incredibly boring however now playing it i found such a new respect for the players and sport..its #2 right behind ND football for me.
                              EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

I got up at 4 AM yesterday and today to watch the Open on ESPN.

Anyone else watching? Check out those pants John Daly is wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                                  I got up at 4 AM yesterday and today to watch the Open on ESPN.

Anyone else watching? Check out those pants John Daly is wearing.
                                  work sucks!!! and i can't watch it via espn3

Comment

I hear you. For anyone with an iPhone or iPad there are some great apps for recording your swing in slow motion. My problem is if I go to the range and hit 50 balls I have about 50 different swings. But I've been able to correct some major problems with my swing that I would have never figured out without video or lessons this year with a $4.99 iPad app. It works a lot better than I thought it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                                      I hear you. For anyone with an iPhone or iPad there are some great apps for recording your swing in slow motion. My problem is if I go to the range and hit 50 balls I have about 50 different swings. But I've been able to correct some major problems with my swing that I would have never figured out without video or lessons this year with a $4.99 iPad app. It works a lot better than I thought it would.
                                      i have a droid...what is the name of the app..usually they have something similar

Comment

I was lucky enough to be able play a lot of golf growing up. Lived it, breathed it, slept it. I had some game back then. Then life happened, married, kids, etc... and really didn't play much for 20 years or so.

Got back into it 5 years ago. Expected to have some work to do, and was progressing pretty well for a while then just hit a wall. My mind apparently has no concept, or control, of my body. LOL Less flexibility, poor tempo. I spent time last year videoing the swing, geez. Swings that felt good with good results were awful. Something between Furyk and Barkely.

Most of it is between the ears and I may be be missing some wires at this point. It's a process.
                                        Last edited by tadman95; 07-20-2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Mine is my gap wedge, followed by my lob wedge
                                          Those are pretty prodigious 3 wood average distances, on-par with PGA tour average TrackMan Range - Practice, Play or Compete at Your Driving Range (convert from meters to yards at the bottom of the table)

Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                          1) Know nothing.
                                          2) Have no clubs.
                                          3) Have no money.
                                          If I were you I'd start smaller; eg. you could probably find a beginner set at a reasonable price (you can look for clubs in estate sales), go to a range (preferably where they have a putting green as well), practice (esp. putting, chipping, etc) quite a bit and with focus on what you are trying to do (many people go to a range to hit balls; recommend more of them actually AIM at something), and then start with par-3 courses. There are considerable on-line resources (or books in the library) that can help you with fundamentals. The book ND23 recommended is a very good book for the mental approach, but really isn't helpful to you until you have some fundamentals.

This can get you started, allow you to assess whether you really like the game, and then when you have more money you can start to focus on playing on a regular course.

Also, set your expectations. My brother-in-law took up the game because he's a partner in an accounting firm; my sister set him up with lessons, etc encouraged him to get out on weekends and evenings, and he seems to REALLY dislike the game. His expectation was to play reasonably well right from the start, and his pride causes him to be frustrated....especially because it 'comes so naturally to me'. I've played for years, so he shouldn't be comparing himself to me, nor to par.

Originally posted by PANDFAN View Post
                                          i just started playing this year as my soon to be father in law is a golf junkie and so is my soon to be brother in law...i slice everything to the right when driving except for about 5 holes...i have listened to everyones opinion as to what is going on but i can't seem to get consistency...
                                          Big mistake (unless they are teaching pros). So many people like to give advice, but haven't really got a clue about what they are talking about.

You might want to take twig21 up on his offer, or take a lesson or a few; then spend time practicing what the instructor conveyed, and be prepared to work through the inevitable initial deterioration in your game (people often take lessons, find that by trying to fix the foundation in their game they play worse to start, get frustrated, stop doing what they were taught, and then say that lessons don't help).

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                                          My problem is if I go to the range and hit 50 balls I have about 50 different swings.
                                          You might also want to consider swinging a club for several minutes a day, with no ball to hit. Just to build some feel and consistency in your swing, without focusing on trying to hit a ball. Then when you get to practice, swing several times to replicate the feeling before each shot, and try to duplicate this while hitting the ball.

Comment

7 wood! def my best club..especially in the rough....it's the complete opposite of what you would expect as the irons are supposed to cut through the rough..but its my go to club cuz usually off the drive i am in the rough

Comment

i have a droid...what is the name of the app..usually they have something similar
                                              V One Golf. They have a library of pro swings where you can compare your own swing side by side with pros. Also you can draw lines to see where your swing plane is throughout the swing which helps me a lot. I swing back flat and follow through steep which is the opposite of what you want to do. But at least I know it now. I had no clue before.

Originally posted by TheSunIsRising View Post

You might also want to consider swinging a club for several minutes a day, with no ball to hit. Just to build some feel and consistency in your swing, without focusing on trying to hit a ball. Then when you get to practice, swing several times to replicate the feeling before each shot, and try to duplicate this while hitting the ball.
                                              I have an old sand wedge that I swing almost everyday. But I really need to work on getting more feel with long irons and my woods. For some reason lately my long irons have felt really uncomfortable even at address before I swing. Like I can't picture what good contact is going to feel like, if that makes sense, which is bad news for me. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Tiger had nice chip in birdie to end his round today.
                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                  Tiger had nice chip in birdie to end his round today.
                                                  I wasn't able to watch today because of work but was Snedecker really killing the course that easily? Does it look like he will have staying power or will go +1 or +2 tomorrow?

Comment

I'm ready for some weather! Let's see what they got!

Comment

are you serious???

this seems a lot like me!!

i just started playing this year as my soon to be father in law is a golf junkie and so is my soon to be brother in law...i slice everything to the right when driving except for about 5 holes...i have listened to everyones opinion as to what is going on but i can't seem to get consistency...but man i don't know if there has been a sport that has given me this kind of excitement to play...i play about 1x a week and i find myself right after we are done wanting to play another 18..(drinking the whole time really helps) i have never watched golf on tv as i found it incredibly boring however now playing it i found such a new respect for the players and sport..its #2 right behind ND football for me.
                                                      Absolutely I am serious. If you want to pm me I can give you my Email address and you can send me your swing.
                                                      "Hope is for those people who aren't prepared" Lou Holtz

Comment

I feel that my go to club would have to be my 8 iron. I can hit that about 165 to 170. It feels so natural in my hands. I'm also a very streaky golfer. If I can get hot off the tee my driver can really be an assest.
                                                        The biggest problem with my game is getting out to play. I love it, but with little income and working full time it can be very hard to get out.

Comment

I'm ready for some weather! Let's see what they got!
                                                          Me 2

Comment

I wasn't able to watch today because of work but was Snedecker really killing the course that easily? Does it look like he will have staying power or will go +1 or +2 tomorrow?
                                                            He was playing very smart and most of his shots were right on key.

Comment

Looks much windier there today. Should be fun

Comment

I just want to see Tiger play. I would love for him to win this

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                                  Me too. I don't think Snedeker has a round like he had yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                                    Me too. If he wins this, he regains the world #1 ranking.

Comment

He needs to pick it up he +2 in 3 holes. He hasn't hit a good ball yet.

Comment

Nice chip by Tiger to maybe get his round going in the right direction.

Comment

he is looking in the zone right now after a horrible start. snedecker and scott are gonna choke.

Comment

he is looking in the zone right now after a horrible start. snedecker and scott are gonna choke.
                                                                            He is making alot better shots. And has a shot for another birdie.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Who's watching the Open? Leaders are out on the course now. Tigers in the bunker on two.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I hate tiger sometimes. How the hell does anyone do that haha. Such a tough shot.

-9 is gonna win it I have a feeling

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Who's watching the Open? Leaders are out on the course now. Tigers in the bunker on two.
                                                                                  I am Bob. Looks like the wind will continue to pick up throughout the day. Could get very exciting.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                                    I am Bob. Looks like the wind will continue to pick up throughout the day. Could get very exciting.
                                                                                    Yeah its gonna get real good! Did you see that friggin bunker shot? WOW! The leader Adam Scott dropped a shot on the 1st....here we go

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Yeah its gonna get real good! Did you see that friggin bunker shot? WOW! The leader Adam Scott dropped a shot on the 1st....here we go
                                                                                      That bunker shot was awesome. Tiger kept it on the green a 3 but came up about 4 inches short.

Tiger is playing a werid gameplan for this course.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Scott got his birdie back a 2.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Ouch, Scott just hit a bad one.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            This is the first time I've watched golf in a while. Come on Tiger!!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              In other news, my boy Scott Stallings is leading the True South Classic in Mississippi by 2 shots at -19 going to the final hole of the 3rd round. They've had plenty of rain delays this week so it will finish late today. Going for his 2nd career PGA victory.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Irish4Life09 View Post
                                                                                                In other news, my boy Scott Stallings is leading the True South Classic in Mississippi by 2 shots at -19 going to the final hole of the 3rd round. They've had plenty of rain delays this week so it will finish late today. Going for his 2nd career PGA victory.
                                                                                                That's awesome.

It will be live on the Golf Channel from 3 to 6 pm today.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Irish4Life09 View Post
                                                                                                  cool

And Scott has a 20 ft putt to save par on 3.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I really don't like Scott for some reason. No clue why. haha. It's gonna be tight between Woods, Scott, and McDowell come the back 9 I think. Throw Snedecker in there too, he is having a decent start

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X