Law School Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PraetorianND View Post
    Ah bummer! Don’t let it get you down though. You’re super smart and the degree only matters for your first job out of school. Once you prove yourself you can go anywhere. Good talent is hard to find, despite how many law grads there are every year.

What kind of law do you want to practice?
    I think something business or financy but I'm open minded. I'll get a better idea over the next semester or two I reckon.
    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
      I think something business or financy but I'm open minded. I'll get a better idea over the next semester or two I reckon.
      Nice nice. Lots of good options in those spaces. Have fun in 2L. It’s quite a ride.

Comment

• The summer between 2L and 3L is a critical period for a law career.
        It is really the ONLY opportunity to show valuable full-time legal experience before the search for permanent employment during 3L.
        For employers, it doesn´t matter what kind of law, but how hard the candidate went at the practice of law, the contribution made to the summer employer and the commitment shown - a full-time, ignore-everything-else, stay-focused commitment.
        It is a fleeting opportunity that many rising 3Ls (competitors) have seized.
        "We don't have enough female role models. We don't have enough visible women leaders. We don't have enough women in power." - Muffet McGraw

Comment

• Malcolm Gladwell has a great podcast entitled “The Tortoise & the Hare” regarding the LSAT and whether or not the “prestige” of the T14 Law Schools truly ensures that a firm gets the elite lawyers.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...y/id1119389968

Comment

• Law career counselor with some frank talk:

"The … summer position an attorney gets is often more important than their grades to their ultimate career direction".

"Legal hiring organizations hire summer associates because they want to get a sense of your work ethic, how you are likely to get along with other attorneys…"

" I must note that a decision not to clerk for any firm or legal-related organization is not a wise one…This is especially so during a law student's second summer".

https://www.bcgsearch.com/article/60...my-job-search/

"We don't have enough female role models. We don't have enough visible women leaders. We don't have enough women in power." - Muffet McGraw

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
              This is NOT me asking if I should go. Save your fingers if you are about to type a long paragraph telling me that I should not go to law school. I'm going. I understand the job market and I have worked in law firms and understand that I won't be driving to the courthouse in my Ferrari anytime soon.

I was inspired to make this thread by ChiIrish's bar exam thread, so thanks Chi. You should get your reps in the mail shortly.

Since we seem to have a lot of law school graduates on this board, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about attending a law school. Is there anything that you wish you had done differently while you were there? Any resources or tips that you took awhile to take advantage of that you wish you had earlier? Any type of law that you wish that you had looked into/ considered more while you were in law school? Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks for any wisdom you can share.
              I would, if National Commission of Professional Education, mandate this:

Do not go directly from undergrad school to Law School, or B school.

Get some experience. Mine, oddly involved a one year government paid "sabbatical" in Southeast Asia.....

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post

Get some experience. Mine, oddly involved a one year government paid "sabbatical" in Southeast Asia.....
                Currently what I'm doing, enjoying the work experience (and the income). Will say that I wish I didn't have to study for the LSAT on top of everything right now, but its probably better than studying for it as an undergrad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

Currently what I'm doing, enjoying the work experience (and the income). Will say that I wish I didn't have to study for the LSAT on top of everything right now, but its probably better than studying for it as an undergrad.
                  We are each the master and mistresses of our own decisions, but my expectation is that what you are doing now, whatever that may be, will provide context and texture for law school, when, as and if you choose to go there.

You will have "Ahas!" where you fellow, younger students will not.

Meanwhile, "Be Good to Thyself."

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

I have a pdf cache of about 80 LSAT practice tests if you want them.

I will say one of the bigger things of LSAT prep is training your brain to not wear out during the exam. I'm sure a lot of people on here have a ton of advice on prep.
                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I have a pdf cache of about 80 LSAT practice tests if you want them.

I will say one of the bigger things of LSAT prep is training your brain to not wear out during the exam. I'm sure a lot of people on here have a ton of advice on prep.
                      Quit now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack Em View Post

Quit now.
                        Lol. Wish I had a few more people tell me that! Oh well....persistent depression and substance abuse...here I come!
                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to chat. Penn undergrad. EIC of Law Review. I love my current job. When I was clerking for a USDCJ (MDPA), I managed the intern programs--learned a hell of a lot. Always happy to talk with people about law school and the job market.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlaskanIrish View Post

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to chat. Penn undergrad. EIC of Law Review. I love my current job. When I was clerking for a USDCJ (MDPA), I managed the intern programs--learned a hell of a lot. Always happy to talk with people about law school and the job market.
                            Tryhard Nerd.
                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Tryhard Nerd.
                              Haha! I was encouraged to post more. Still finding my IE voice, haha.

Comment

Haha! I was encouraged to post more. Still finding my IE voice, haha.
                                Please do!
                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I will, am in the middle of something. Give me a few days.

Comment

I will, am in the middle of something. Give me a few days.
                                    No pressure! I'm here whenever you'd like to chat,

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X