This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
    I'm breaking back into Breath of the Wild too, took a bit of a hiatus for awhile. I wanted to make some money by bowling so I could buy that house in Hameto Village, so I went NW. Apparently I went the wrong way though, because I didn't have the cold weather armor set from Rito yet, so I had to chug pepper food to make it to the tower nearby and then down the mountain. It was a bit dicey there for a bit, was on my last pepper steak before I got to Rito and the temperature came back down lol. That Ridgeland Tower was a bit of a bitch to unlock too, had to clear all those floaty wand dudes and the lizards with the electricity in that pond. Keep in mind I don't have much in the way of weapons or armor, I've done very little since leaving the Great Plateau. I still think weapons break a little too soon, but there's no real shortage of them and I guess it keeps it interesting.
    If you have some time to waste, spend an hour scrolling through the top posts in the BotW subreddit. It is absolutely amazing to see some of the things that people pull off in the game.

Comment

• I have a backlog of games to play (including RDR2, Jedi: Fallen Order, Ghost of Tsushima)... but I have zero experience with Zelda games, and have BotW for Switch collecting dust. Maybe that moves to top priority after I finish Valhalla.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
        I have a backlog of games to play (including RDR2, Jedi: Fallen Order, Ghost of Tsushima)... but I have zero experience with Zelda games, and have BotW for Switch collecting dust. Maybe that moves to top priority after I finish Valhalla.
        BotW is definitely a different experience compared to past Zelda games. It's very much open world while previous games were gated in various ways, i.e. you couldn't get to the desert until you found the Power Glove to pickup large rocks, or many places are locked away until you can get bombs, or you need the Hookshot to cross certain gaps, etc. There doesn't really seem to be any of that in BotW, not that open worlds are necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. One benefit to a linear storyline is the fact the plot tends to progress better and it follows a natural progression. Open worlds tend to lead to disjointed stories, but it allows for freedom and exploration. It's just a different experience as far as Zelda titles, so don't expect that previous games have the same feel. One thing that hasn't changed are the puzzles, Zelda has always been strong with thoughtful mechanics and puzzle solving to progress through dungeons and boss fights, and there's still plenty of that.

I've spent the weekend just going around and revealing the world map. I've unlocked a bunch of shrines, but still need to go back and complete them. I've got one more tower to finish off, then I'm going to run roughshod through the shrines so I can hopefully get the Master Sword asap.

Comment

• So I know I'm 4 years late to the party (Possible spoilers below for anyone that has also put this one off), but I've more or less finished the meat of BotW. Did the Divine Beasts and the EX Challenges for them afterwards (Mostly pointless), got all the memories, beat the first section of the Trial of the Sword, and I estimate I've done between 80-90 of the 120 shrines. Wait, is that right?! There's 120 fucking shrines in this game? One hundred...fucking twenty. Who thought this was a good idea?

So I beat Ganon once pretty early on. I did have the Master Sword, but just 13 hearts and only one Divine Beast unlocked. I was actually on a hunt to collect memories and I picked up the one just outside Zelda's Study in Hyrule Castle. At that point I thought "Fuck, I'm already close to the top, might as well see what happens." I was a bit disappointed how easy the fight was given the fact I had no prior knowledge of any of the mechanics and I had to take on Ganon's Lightning, Fire, and Wind forms back to back before I even met the beast himself. His main form had some tougher moments, but nothing that 3 star Knight Armor and a couple things of food couldn't cure. I was surprised his final form was such a pushover.

I plan on going back and possibly wrapping up the remaining shrines, jury is still out. I may or may not finish the other Trials of the Sword, I'm a bit torn really. I generally enjoy game mechanics that temporarily strip you of your uber gear and force you to rough it in certain situations for a spell, similar to games that throw you in a prison and force you to sneak and backstab your way out. That said, the Trial of the Sword is not that. It's a bit sadistic with no saves, no armor (At least for the first part), and a severe lack of weapons/food. Slower, large enemies like the Hinox and Talus aren't bad, they tend to be easy to avoid. Large packs of fast Lizalfos with superior weapons can be trouble though. I'm quite torn on whether I want to finish the remaining two parts of the Trial...for one the reward seems marginally beneficial at best, and I've essentially already finished the base game...and yet the completionist side of me says "It's the Master Sword, you should do it."

Anyway, I'm sitting at 22 hearts now, beat Ganon a second time after getting all those memories, and the only thing left to do really is make myself even more overpowered. I think I've seen enough to make a fair assessment.

The Good:

Hyrule is pretty frickin' beautiful, even if there's a lot of empty open areas at times. Death Mountain, Zora Domain, Rito Village, the massive bridges, swirly flying dragons, all gorgeous. I can do without the snow and probably the desert, although the old school Gerudo Valley theme would have been nice to have. That song rocks.

The large selection of weapons was impressive and fun. It took some getting used to with the new mechanic, but overall I was surprised to see how many different variations they added in. It was a nice touch for a game that sometimes does feel a bit dull with the weapon choices when you're stuck using the same few options the entire game. I liked the fact that even boomerangs were incredibly useful, at least the later game versions.

It's a living, breathing world. I thought they did a good job of adding a decent number of NPCs and put them on set routines. There were some exceptions though. The stables were all a bit too cookie cutter, right down to the layout and the NPCs all serving the same functions with only a name to differentiate them. The main towns did a fair job of being unique, even if none of them were particularly large. It sort of reinforces Calamity Ganon's reach if the population is still trying to recover 100 years later.

The Bad:

The NPCs are all pretty forgettable. I touch on this in the plot problems later on, but aside from the characters they've been building up for years like Zelda, Ganon, and maybe Impa...the rest of the cast feel like acquaintances that we barely get to see. Even the major Divine Champion players get relegated to a handful of cutscene memories and one reuniting moment in Spirit Form. Ouch. The voice overs could have used some work too. Hopefully for BotW 2 they can hire whoever worked on FF7 Remake, that was one area that game did well with at least.

Climbing can be a bit tedious. I blame you, Assassin's Creed! I don't mind going up the occasional ladder or scaling one or two mountains, but when I constantly finding myself gripping a cliff and slowly plodding along for several minutes at a time I begin to ask myself, "What am I doing with my life?" Paragliding is fun and rewarding, and it should be given what a chore it can be to climb certain locations. I spent an entire weekend just unlocking the map and climbing every peak I could find that had a shrine near the top of it. Why? So in the future I will rarely have to climb again and I can just warp to those locations to avoid more climbing. I went out of my way to lookup where all the climbing gear was and beat the toughest Trial of Strength early on just so I could alleviate all the scaling. I won't go so far as to say that 75% of BotW is mountain climbing like 75% of Windwaker is sailing...but there's definitely a lot of climbing and it can be tedious at times.

There's absolutely too many shrines and they should not be replacements for dungeons. It's like the designers all felt that gamers have ADD now and can't complete anything that takes longer than 15 minutes...unless it's the Trial of the Sword, in which case they think it should take more than an hour and there should be no saves until you finish it! Even the Divine Beasts were a let down. I wasn't really paying attention to the whole Map + Divine Beast rotations at first when it was mentioned, so I sat there stumped on what to do next. Once I figured out the concept it was cake mode. The only challenging part was figuring out how to get some of the more obscure treasure chests within each, like the rupee one in the shoulder of the Lizard. Zelda has always been about progression, with various equipment pieces unlocking new areas and leading to new innovative ways to use each. We get all the tools we'll ever need right from the beginning (Infinite bombs, wtf?) and every one of the 120 shrines you visit after that are a matter of asking yourself "Which of the four slate tools am I using here?" Is each shrine different? Yeah, but in many ways they're also repetitive and in many cases overblown when you consider the real reward is 1/4 of a heart container. In the past you had a maximum of 20 full hearts you could obtain, and a 1/4 heart piece was typically no harder to obtain than bombing a cracked wall in the side of a mountain. Now you've got locations like the Shora Hah shrine where you have to hand power a minecart halfway across Death Mountain to reach the shrine, and then complete a rather lengthy set of several puzzles to get a blue flame to the end of the course so you can get your 1/4 heart piece. Excessive and repetitive. The "Blessing" shrines are a breath of fresh air when you find them, the ones that require no tasks at all once you're inside...but typically you have to lift a mountain and fight a dragon before you unlock said shrines so you end up putting in a ton of work regardless for your tiny reward. Ultimately I think making the Divine Beast trials more involved and longer like real dungeons would have been nice, and maybe merging the shrines into say...40 locations with multiple heart pieces in each (Or just 1 full heart with say...an iconic boss?) would have added that dungeon crawler feel that the previous Zelda games all had. Hell, none of the shrines have more than 5 enemies in them and the same can really be said about the Divine Beasts...that's just sad.

The Ugly:

The Master Sword...runs out of power? No, absolutely not. I'm fine with weapons breaking after killing one or two enemies, and I'm fine with the Master Sword being more powerful in certain circumstances, but at no point should it be completely useless. It should never be completely useless. This is one of the reasons I don't think I'll bother with the rest of the Trial of the Sword, it seems utterly pointless in the end and even more so if you are basically done with most of the game. I tried doing the trial early, but I kept coming up a few hearts shy towards the end and that led to a lot of wasted time in a trial where you can't save and a run through can take an hour if you're trying to be careful.

The enemies felt sad and pathetic. We have color coded versions of all the same monsters with the only difference being health: Moblins, Bokoblins, Blizzrobes, Lizalfos, Chuchus, Keese...and that's pretty much it besides the boss types (Which also have color coded variations). The only one I didn't really mention are Guardians, which are the one trick pony of BotW. They remind me a lot of Dragons in Skyrim...pretty scary and epic at first, but as soon as you figure out their one gimmick (Parrying that beam attack) they go from intimidating to pussies. The sad thing is that gimmick is so...so....so completely overused. Not only does every major Guardian type use the laser as their only real attack, but it gets reused by Ganon's elemental forms AND his boss form! It's so completely overused I'm just baffled by it...I really want to know who thought it would be a good idea to give this attack to every one of these enemies. Whoever made the call must have had a real boner for lasers. I feel like the monster design was really phoned in here, they could have done more. Even the EX boss fights against the Ganon elementals were nothing more than the exact same fights you had with them the first time...just with limited weapons and armor. Really lazy DLC, throwing out another 20 shrines with nothing new to them along with repeats of your Divine Beast boss fights. I know I'm harping a bit on this, but consider this...there are more enemy types and different bosses in the original LoZ than their are in BotW. That game is 30+ years old. Lazy.

The plot just doesn't measure up. A lot of gamers have enjoyed what open world settings have done for RPGs. Open world certainly has it's benefits, but it has it's downfalls too. It's great for people like me who like to explore and search every nook and cranny. Open world is also detrimental to story progression and continuity. Anyone who has played an Elder Scrolls game and thought at one point "Where am I, and what was I supposed to be doing?" can attest to that. Sometimes racking up 50 sidequests can really water down the main story...and I wish BotW had that problem, but sadly there isn't much of a main story to speak of. I mean...it's almost non-existent. All we know of Hyrule's history and the current plot is basically told through the opening Plateau prologue, the 4 Divine Beast scenarios, and a handful of a dozen short memories. That's pretty much it. That's a pretty weak premise for a story in 2017, and it would probably be even worse if it wasn't a Zelda game where they've been rehashing the same 3 pivotal characters in the same basic plot for 30+ years: Link being the hero of destiny, Ganon is the inevitable antagonist, and Zelda being at times the damsel in distress and/or the final hope for the kingdom. The Divine Beast sections were far too short, and there just isn't enough exposure for the supporting cast for me to care about them. Should I really care about Urbosa or Revali (I struggled to even remember his name, at least I use Urbosa's skill frequently)? Mephala was mildly interesting given her Zora heritage and the love interest angle, some call backs to Ocarina of Time there. Daruk was lovable, but ultimately just slightly less forgettable than Urbosa and Revali. Don't get me started on their descendants...you get introduced to these NPCs for one quest in most cases and then they serve no purpose after that. I can't name any of them besides Sidon. The absolute worst part of it all is Calamity Ganon himself. He's nothing but a swirling cloud until you face him at the end of the game. There's no interaction at all to build him up as the antagonist. You just hear about him returning and taking control of the kingdom through second hand accounts...weak, passive, boring. Overall I just expected a bit more, but when you can potentially wake from the Chamber of Revival or whatever it is and face Ganon five minutes later there's really not much of a plot to speak of...and you really don't miss much if you go through the rest. Even the whiny Zelda flashbacks are disappointing.

Conclusion:

I'm having a hard time ranking this game. I want to compare it to the legendary games in the series like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link to the Past. This game is so different though it almost feels like apples to oranges. It has both good and disappointing qualities. Zelda games have never been big on wordy dialogue and fleshed out characters. In this big, modern, open world Hyrule I feel like they needed a bit more plot and character development though. It felt like they put all their eggs in the shrine and combat baskets, and both are somewhat repetitive or disappointing when you consider how the trials can all be beat with the same four Shiek Slate tools and the NPCs are all color coded versions of the same 6-7 base types. I feel like this game is better compared to other open world RPGs like Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Age to which I say...eh. It's not going to compare to an Elder Scrolls game when it comes to character development and story, but it's above Dark Souls in both categories because that's a low bar to hop. If I had to rank it with Zelda games I just don't see enough innovation or structure to top Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past, but I'd probably put BotW before the original LoZ. It'd definitely better than the Adventure of Link, Windwaker, and the Zelda CDI games. It would be above Link's Awakening. Not sure where I'd rank it against Twilight Princess, I still haven't finished that one tbh...my nieces and nephews killed my system years ago and I haven't replaced it. I'd put it above Majora's Mask even though I know it has a strong following, wasn't' my bag really though. I haven't played any other Zelda titles. Overall BotW is a great game, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the pile. I think Nintendo could have spent less time adding Korok Seeds and repetitive Shrines, and instead spent time working on fleshing out other aspects of the game.

87/100
          Last edited by ulukinatme; 03-06-2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• Oh yeah, and the ending was pretty shit, even after obtaining all the memories.

Comment

So I know I'm 4 years late to the party (Possible spoilers below for anyone that has also put this one off), but I've more or less finished the meat of BotW. Did the Divine Beasts and the EX Challenges for them afterwards (Mostly pointless), got all the memories, beat the first section of the Trial of the Sword, and I estimate I've done between 80-90 of the 120 shrines. Wait, is that right?! There's 120 fucking shrines in this game? One hundred...fucking twenty. Who thought this was a good idea?

So I beat Ganon once pretty early on. I did have the Master Sword, but just 13 hearts and only one Divine Beast unlocked. I was actually on a hunt to collect memories and I picked up the one just outside Zelda's Study in Hyrule Castle. At that point I thought "Fuck, I'm already close to the top, might as well see what happens." I was a bit disappointed how easy the fight was given the fact I had no prior knowledge of any of the mechanics and I had to take on Ganon's Lightning, Fire, and Wind forms back to back before I even met the beast himself. His main form had some tougher moments, but nothing that 3 star Knight Armor and a couple things of food couldn't cure. I was surprised his final form was such a pushover.

I plan on going back and possibly wrapping up the remaining shrines, jury is still out. I may or may not finish the other Trials of the Sword, I'm a bit torn really. I generally enjoy game mechanics that temporarily strip you of your uber gear and force you to rough it in certain situations for a spell, similar to games that throw you in a prison and force you to sneak and backstab your way out. That said, the Trial of the Sword is not that. It's a bit sadistic with no saves, no armor (At least for the first part), and a severe lack of weapons/food. Slower, large enemies like the Hinox and Talus aren't bad, they tend to be easy to avoid. Large packs of fast Lizalfos with superior weapons can be trouble though. I'm quite torn on whether I want to finish the remaining two parts of the Trial...for one the reward seems marginally beneficial at best, and I've essentially already finished the base game...and yet the completionist side of me says "It's the Master Sword, you should do it."

Anyway, I'm sitting at 22 hearts now, beat Ganon a second time after getting all those memories, and the only thing left to do really is make myself even more overpowered. I think I've seen enough to make a fair assessment.

The Good:

Hyrule is pretty frickin' beautiful, even if there's a lot of empty open areas at times. Death Mountain, Zora Domain, Rito Village, the massive bridges, swirly flying dragons, all gorgeous. I can do without the snow and probably the desert, although the old school Gerudo Valley theme would have been nice to have. That song rocks.

The large selection of weapons was impressive and fun. It took some getting used to with the new mechanic, but overall I was surprised to see how many different variations they added in. It was a nice touch for a game that sometimes does feel a bit dull with the weapon choices when you're stuck using the same few options the entire game. I liked the fact that even boomerangs were incredibly useful, at least the later game versions.

It's a living, breathing world. I thought they did a good job of adding a decent number of NPCs and put them on set routines. There were some exceptions though. The stables were all a bit too cookie cutter, right down to the layout and the NPCs all serving the same functions with only a name to differentiate them. The main towns did a fair job of being unique, even if none of them were particularly large. It sort of reinforces Calamity Ganon's reach if the population is still trying to recover 100 years later.

The Bad:

The NPCs are all pretty forgettable. I touch on this in the plot problems later on, but aside from the characters they've been building up for years like Zelda, Ganon, and maybe Impa...the rest of the cast feel like acquaintances that we barely get to see. Even the major Divine Champion players get relegated to a handful of cutscene memories and one reuniting moment in Spirit Form. Ouch. The voice overs could have used some work too. Hopefully for BotW 2 they can hire whoever worked on FF7 Remake, that was one area that game did well with at least.

Climbing can be a bit tedious. I blame you, Assassin's Creed! I don't mind going up the occasional ladder or scaling one or two mountains, but when I constantly finding myself gripping a cliff and slowly plodding along for several minutes at a time I begin to ask myself, "What am I doing with my life?" Paragliding is fun and rewarding, and it should be given what a chore it can be to climb certain locations. I spent an entire weekend just unlocking the map and climbing every peak I could find that had a shrine near the top of it. Why? So in the future I will rarely have to climb again and I can just warp to those locations to avoid more climbing. I went out of my way to lookup where all the climbing gear was and beat the toughest Trial of Strength early on just so I could alleviate all the scaling. I won't go so far as to say that 75% of BotW is mountain climbing like 75% of Windwaker is sailing...but there's definitely a lot of climbing and it can be tedious at times.

There's absolutely too many shrines and they should not be replacements for dungeons. It's like the designers all felt that gamers have ADD now and can't complete anything that takes longer than 15 minutes...unless it's the Trial of the Sword, in which case they think it should take more than an hour and there should be no saves until you finish it! Even the Divine Beasts were a let down. I wasn't really paying attention to the whole Map + Divine Beast rotations at first when it was mentioned, so I sat there stumped on what to do next. Once I figured out the concept it was cake mode. The only challenging part was figuring out how to get some of the more obscure treasure chests within each, like the rupee one in the shoulder of the Lizard. Zelda has always been about progression, with various equipment pieces unlocking new areas and leading to new innovative ways to use each. We get all the tools we'll ever need right from the beginning (Infinite bombs, wtf?) and every one of the 120 shrines you visit after that are a matter of asking yourself "Which of the four slate tools am I using here?" Is each shrine different? Yeah, but in many ways they're also repetitive and in many cases overblown when you consider the real reward is 1/4 of a heart container. In the past you had a maximum of 20 full hearts you could obtain, and a 1/4 heart piece was typically no harder to obtain than bombing a cracked wall in the side of a mountain. Now you've got locations like the Shora Hah shrine where you have to hand power a minecart halfway across Death Mountain to reach the shrine, and then complete a rather lengthy set of several puzzles to get a blue flame to the end of the course so you can get your 1/4 heart piece. Excessive and repetitive. The "Blessing" shrines are a breath of fresh air when you find them, the ones that require no tasks at all once you're inside...but typically you have to lift a mountain and fight a dragon before you unlock said shrines so you end up putting in a ton of work regardless for your tiny reward. Ultimately I think making the Divine Beast trials more involved and longer like real dungeons would have been nice, and maybe merging the shrines into say...40 locations with multiple heart pieces in each (Or just 1 full heart with say...an iconic boss?) would have added that dungeon crawler feel that the previous Zelda games all had. Hell, none of the shrines have more than 5 enemies in them and the same can really be said about the Divine Beasts...that's just sad.

The Ugly:

The Master Sword...runs out of power? No, absolutely not. I'm fine with weapons breaking after killing one or two enemies, and I'm fine with the Master Sword being more powerful in certain circumstances, but at no point should it be completely useless. It should never be completely useless. This is one of the reasons I don't think I'll bother with the rest of the Trial of the Sword, it seems utterly pointless in the end and even more so if you are basically done with most of the game. I tried doing the trial early, but I kept coming up a few hearts shy towards the end and that led to a lot of wasted time in a trial where you can't save and a run through can take an hour if you're trying to be careful.

The enemies felt sad and pathetic. We have color coded versions of all the same monsters with the only difference being health: Moblins, Bokoblins, Blizzrobes, Lizalfos, Chuchus, Keese...and that's pretty much it besides the boss types (Which also have color coded variations). The only one I didn't really mention are Guardians, which are the one trick pony of BotW. They remind me a lot of Dragons in Skyrim...pretty scary and epic at first, but as soon as you figure out their one gimmick (Parrying that beam attack) they go from intimidating to pussies. The sad thing is that gimmick is so...so....so completely overused. Not only does every major Guardian type use the laser as their only real attack, but it gets reused by Ganon's elemental forms AND his boss form! It's so completely overused I'm just baffled by it...I really want to know who thought it would be a good idea to give this attack to every one of these enemies. Whoever made the call must have had a real boner for lasers. I feel like the monster design was really phoned in here, they could have done more. Even the EX boss fights against the Ganon elementals were nothing more than the exact same fights you had with them the first time...just with limited weapons and armor. Really lazy DLC, throwing out another 20 shrines with nothing new to them along with repeats of your Divine Beast boss fights. I know I'm harping a bit on this, but consider this...there are more enemy types and different bosses in the original LoZ than their are in BotW. That game is 30+ years old. Lazy.

The plot just doesn't measure up. A lot of gamers have enjoyed what open world settings have done for RPGs. Open world certainly has it's benefits, but it has it's downfalls too. It's great for people like me who like to explore and search every nook and cranny. Open world is also detrimental to story progression and continuity. Anyone who has played an Elder Scrolls game and thought at one point "Where am I, and what was I supposed to be doing?" can attest to that. Sometimes racking up 50 sidequests can really water down the main story...and I wish BotW had that problem, but sadly there isn't much of a main story to speak of. I mean...it's almost non-existent. All we know of Hyrule's history and the current plot is basically told through the opening Plateau prologue, the 4 Divine Beast scenarios, and a handful of a dozen short memories. That's pretty much it. That's a pretty weak premise for a story in 2017, and it would probably be even worse if it wasn't a Zelda game where they've been rehashing the same 3 pivotal characters in the same basic plot for 30+ years: Link being the hero of destiny, Ganon is the inevitable antagonist, and Zelda being at times the damsel in distress and/or the final hope for the kingdom. The Divine Beast sections were far too short, and there just isn't enough exposure for the supporting cast for me to care about them. Should I really care about Urbosa or Revali (I struggled to even remember his name, at least I use Urbosa's skill frequently)? Mephala was mildly interesting given her Zora heritage and the love interest angle, some call backs to Ocarina of Time there. Daruk was lovable, but ultimately just slightly less forgettable than Urbosa and Revali. Don't get me started on their descendants...you get introduced to these NPCs for one quest in most cases and then they serve no purpose after that. I can't name any of them besides Sidon. The absolute worst part of it all is Calamity Ganon himself. He's nothing but a swirling cloud until you face him at the end of the game. There's no interaction at all to build him up as the antagonist. You just hear about him returning and taking control of the kingdom through second hand accounts...weak, passive, boring. Overall I just expected a bit more, but when you can potentially wake from the Chamber of Revival or whatever it is and face Ganon five minutes later there's really not much of a plot to speak of...and you really don't miss much if you go through the rest. Even the whiny Zelda flashbacks are disappointing.

Conclusion:

I'm having a hard time ranking this game. I want to compare it to the legendary games in the series like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link to the Past. This game is so different though it almost feels like apples to oranges. It has both good and disappointing qualities. Zelda games have never been big on wordy dialogue and fleshed out characters. In this big, modern, open world Hyrule I feel like they needed a bit more plot and character development though. It felt like they put all their eggs in the shrine and combat baskets, and both are somewhat repetitive or disappointing when you consider how the trials can all be beat with the same four Shiek Slate tools and the NPCs are all color coded versions of the same 6-7 base types. I feel like this game is better compared to other open world RPGs like Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Age to which I say...eh. It's not going to compare to an Elder Scrolls game when it comes to character development and story, but it's above Dark Souls in both categories because that's a low bar to hop. If I had to rank it with Zelda games I just don't see enough innovation or structure to top Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past, but I'd probably put BotW before the original LoZ. It'd definitely better than the Adventure of Link, Windwaker, and the Zelda CDI games. It would be above Link's Awakening. Not sure where I'd rank it against Twilight Princess, I still haven't finished that one tbh...my nieces and nephews killed my system years ago and I haven't replaced it. I'd put it above Majora's Mask even though I know it has a strong following, wasn't' my bag really though. I haven't played any other Zelda titles. Overall BotW is a great game, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the pile. I think Nintendo could have spent less time adding Korok Seeds and repetitive Shrines, and instead spent time working on fleshing out other aspects of the game.

87/100
              Great analysis. I agree with most of your takeaways especially what you said about the lack of enemy variety. That said, I think the strengths are sooooooo ground-breaking that they far outweigh the negatives. It's such a different game... the lack of proper Zelda dungeons really turned me off at first (especially in light of the trash Divine Beasts) but by the end I felt the non-linearity of the game made it magical. For the greatest game series ever made, LoZ's are generally very straight-forward and BotW just flipped the formula on it's head in such an amazing way.

When I finished it I had three takeaways: 1) this is amazing; 2) I want to keep playing to find all the stuff I missed; and 3) was this a half-finished beta of the true BotW-style Zelda? I have to imagine that the sequel to this will take all of the great things about the first and incorporate the traditional elements of Zelda games that we love.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by tussin View Post

Great analysis. I agree with most of your takeaways especially what you said about the lack of enemy variety. That said, I think the strengths are sooooooo ground-breaking that they far outweigh the negatives. It's such a different game... the lack of proper Zelda dungeons really turned me off at first (especially in light of the trash Divine Beasts) but by the end I felt the non-linearity of the game made it magical. For the greatest game series ever made, LoZ's are generally very straight-forward and BotW just flipped the formula on it's head in such an amazing way.

When I finished it I had three takeaways: 1) this is amazing; 2) I want to keep playing to find all the stuff I missed; and 3) was this a half-finished beta of the true BotW-style Zelda? I have to imagine that the sequel to this will take all of the great things about the first and incorporate the traditional elements of Zelda games that we love.
                  I don't know, I don't see it regarding the enemies. 6-7 different base enemies just seems lazy and lacking. Once you figure out their attack patterns none of them are a challenge anymore, and it's pretty easy to figure out attack patterns when there's only a handful of enemy types. I agree that for a Zelda game the changes are pretty new and fresh, but is there anything the game does that is ground breaking on it's own? It feels like any other open world title with a Zelda theme tbh. That's where a real plot and character development could have made it more interesting, but you get almost the entire plot given to you by the King's speach in the beginning, the 13 short cutscene memories, and the Divine Beast scenarios. There's not a lot there. The game has weapons, armors, and collectibles galore, but trinket collecting doesn't make a game great and when you're talking something like 900 Korok Seeds that's just overkill and waters down the game. I feel like they could have better spent resources in other areas. Great game, I just don't think it's the best in the series.

Something that just occurred to me, in line with the lack of character exposition and plot...is this the first Zelda game with a Ganon since LoZ where Ganon has no dialogue? I don't recall him saying anything in this game, which just seems odd. No pithy lines when you come to save the princess, no threats of doom and destruction, no explanation of his motives or plans. Even in Link to the Past you get a few taunts before and after you fight him in the Dark World and I feel like he says something when you first get pulled there after the Agahnim fight. Does Ganon need to speak after 30+ years of conquest? I guess not, but it makes for a weak, faceless antagonist.
                  Last edited by ulukinatme; 03-06-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Tl/dr:

ulk has too much time on his hands
                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• I see ACamp has awoken from his winter slumber

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                        I see ACamp has awoken from his winter slumber
                        El Paso is quite famous for its hibernation inducing climate
                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by tussin View Post

Agreed. All of ulukin's complaints were accurate--BotW definitely has a lot of flaws--but the strengths were so ground-breaking they almost make up for it.

Still playing the sh!t out of Hades. Most addicting game I've come across in a long time. I've made 90 escape attempts and I'm still not tired of it. Highly recommended.

Comment

• https://theathletic.com/2408818/

Notre Dame, Wisconsin out of EA Sports College Football, but Michigan, others are in: Tracking updates
                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Agreed. All of ulukin's complaints were accurate--BotW definitely has a lot of flaws--but the strengths were so ground-breaking they almost make up for it.

Still playing the sh!t out of Hades. Most addicting game I've come across in a long time. I've made 90 escape attempts and I'm still not tired of it. Highly recommended.
                              Yeah, that's fair. I still enjoyed the game and I highly rate it. I just think it's over hyped if people put it at the top of the Zelda pile. Top 3 or 5, sure... depending on your ranking of Majora's Mask which is a highly divisive title. I usually love time travel plots that are done well, but I have mixed feelings on that one too.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                Tl/dr:

ulk has too much time on his hands
                                My goal for the novel was to get you out of hiding.

Comment

Yeah, that's fair. I still enjoyed the game and I highly rate it. I just think it's over hyped if people put it at the top of the Zelda pile. Top 3 or 5, sure... depending on your ranking of Majora's Mask which is a highly divisive title. I usually love time travel plots that are done well, but I have mixed feelings on that one too.
                                  Agreed. The flaws definitely keep it from contending for GOAT Zelda title. But you've gotta at least acknowledge the ways in which it broke new ground. Once Nintendo gets the formula right with this new format, look out...

Comment

My mixed feelings on Majora's Mask were that I wasn't sure if it's the greatest Zelda game of all time or the greatest game of all time.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Got addicted to NCAA14 again with the revamped package. The new plays they added are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Going through and building a playbook is a blast right now with the things they've added.

Most notably: They've added a bunch of variations of screen plays that actually work as intended. My favorite is a slot-screen that they've added, where the slot receiver is the one catching a smoke screen, and the OL and outside receiver release and block appropriately. They've also added a throwback slip-screen that is great. They added a bunch of new run plays with variations in blocking scheme, as well... still haven't quite figured out how to master the split-zone run plays they added, but I'm working on it.

In terms of gameplay: I'm OC Tommy Rees, and sophomore Tyler Buchner just won his second Heisman trophy and second National Championship as ND's starting QB. Jordan Johnson, Kevin Austin, and Lorenzo Styles are a fearsome group at WR, and Michael Mayer is a redzone nightmare for opposing defense.

Now I'm at a save point at the coaching carousel, trying to decide if I keep Tommy at ND until Buchner and co. are gone, or if I want to go coach at UK or Stanford, which are my two current HC offers.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                        Got addicted to NCAA14 again with the revamped package. The new plays they added are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Going through and building a playbook is a blast right now with the things they've added.

Most notably: They've added a bunch of variations of screen plays that actually work as intended. My favorite is a slot-screen that they've added, where the slot receiver is the one catching a smoke screen, and the OL and outside receiver release and block appropriately. They've also added a throwback slip-screen that is great. They added a bunch of new run plays with variations in blocking scheme, as well... still haven't quite figured out how to master the split-zone run plays they added, but I'm working on it.

In terms of gameplay: I'm OC Tommy Rees, and sophomore Tyler Buchner just won his second Heisman trophy and second National Championship as ND's starting QB. Jordan Johnson, Kevin Austin, and Lorenzo Styles are a fearsome group at WR, and Michael Mayer is a redzone nightmare for opposing defense.

Now I'm at a save point at the coaching carousel, trying to decide if I keep Tommy at ND until Buchner and co. are gone, or if I want to go coach at UK or Stanford, which are my two current HC offers.
                                        Leave it to the fans to fix EA's laziness!

Comment

• Got “Jedi: Fallen Order” from the local library. Really digging the “semi-linear exploration with lightsabers” thing. Kind of reminds me of God of War, where exploration is locked until you have certain abilities or items, forcing you to go back and revisit areas.

I’ve got difficulty set to “Jedi Master,” and it’s pretty brutal early on even though there’s another difficulty setting above still. I’m still in the first area, and the hardest enemies are a pain.

Struggling with “explore every nook and cranny” vs “plow far enough into the story to get all of the abilities I’ll need to 100% the game” right now. I’m too OCD to pass on I explored areas, even when I know I probably won’t be able to complete them yet. I spend too long trying to make sure I’m not missing a secret way of clearing areas, even when I know I’m missing a key ability like “double jump” or something.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X