Thread of the Random

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    At the time it was dropped, the writing was on the wall for Japan, but they were determined to go down fighting rather than lose honor by surrendering. Japan's stubbornness to surrender led to the second one dropped on Nagasaki.
    I'm not saying you are incorrect... Japan was ready to surrender. They knew russia was advancing on the Western front of Manchuria and all they asked for, was that the Emperor stay in place.
    Truman denied after talks with Stalin and the bully system... England's PM was present also.

Hundreds of thousands of humans had to die. We still see It as a righteousness.... Sad!
    Last edited by Circa; 08-06-2020, 08:44 PM.
    I was smarter when I drank...
    I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Circa View Post
      I'm not saying you are incorrect... Japan was ready to surrender. They knew russia was advancing on the Western front of Manchuria and all they asked for, was that the Emperor stay in place.
      Truman denied after talks with Stalin and the bully system... England's PM was present also.

Hundreds of thousands of humans had to die. We still see It as a righteousness.... Sad!
      Stalin didn't want to fight Japan. He unwillingly agreed to as part of a negotiation with Roosevelt and Churchill. His concession to move on Japan was part of the deal made with the U.S. and England to invade France which would force Hitler to move troops from the Russian front to the west.

Bully system? Japan was the bully that started the war in the Pacific. Japan without any provocation attacked the U.S. The day before the attack their Ambassador was in the U.S. telling us there would be no war with the U.S., all the while knowing an attack was coming.

Yes it was righteousness. The alternative was to sit by and let Japan dictate to the U.S. The loss of life is still tragic, but could have been avoided if Japan had agreed to surrender.
      Last edited by Irish#1; 08-07-2020, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Stalin didn't want to fight Japan. He unwillingly agreed to as part of a negotiation with Roosevelt and Churchill. His concession to move on Japan was part of the deal made with the U.S. and England to invade France which would force Hitler to move troops from the Russian front to the west.

Bully system? Japan was the bully that started the war in the Pacific. Japan without any provocation attacked the U.S. The day before the attack their Ambassador was in the U.S. telling us there would be no war with the U.S., all the while knowing an attack was coming.

Yes it was righteousness. The alternative was to sit by and let Japan dictate to the U.S. The loss of life is still tragic, but could have been avoided if Japan had agreed to surrender.
        And is but a small fraction of what was expected if we'd had to invade Japan and force them to end the war. Estimates were that an invasion would've cost over 100,000 American lives and 5,000,000 Japanese lives. Being shocked and bludgeoned into an immediate surrender by the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings probably saved millions of lives and allowed Japan to start rebuilding instead of being totally devastated by an invasion.
        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

I can't argue the bolded and the warnings have recently, 20 years or so, been apart of some debates.
          I can argue with some assertion that Moscow was pushing In on to the Manchurian front that Japan was occupying, In which Japan knew that If Russia was to go all In,.. their days were numbered as a Country.

It's a great debate and I was raised to think the bombings forced Japan's surrender also. But more information has come to light.

Here's a good article that can explain my previous post better than I.

https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...nese-surrender

https://apjjf.org/-tsuyoshi-hasegawa/2501/article.html

1: The Influence of the Hiroshima Bomb on Japan’s Decision to Surrender

"In order to discuss the influence of the atomic bombs on Japan’s decision to surrender, we must examine three separate issues: (1) the effect of the Hiroshima bomb; (2) the effect of the Nagasaki bomb; and (3) the effect of the two bombs combined.
          Let us first examine the effect of the Hiroshima bomb. In order to prove that the Hiroshima bomb had a decisive effect on Japan’s decision, Asada and Frank use the following evidence: (1) the August 7 cabinet meeting; (2) the testimony of Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal Kido Koichi concerning the emperor’s statement on August 7; and (3) the emperor’s statement to Foreign Minister Togo Shigenori on August 8."

The Potsdam Proclamation was already done at this point and Japan knew It. Germany had already been defeated for a few months.

After the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Stalin still attacked on the western front of Manchuria/Current day China. August 9th... 3 days later. Later that day, we still dropped the bomb on Nagasaki.
          Last edited by Circa; 08-07-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• I'll post this video. It opened up a bunch of questions about the situation, and It's a pretty good start.

Oliver Stone: Chapter 3

Comment

• I think you misread what I wrote. I didn't say Russia wasn't applying pressure. Russia didn't want to get involved in the war in the Pacific, but reluctantly agreed as part of a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" agreement. How much pressure and military force would they bring is still up for debate as Japan surrendered before anyone could find out.

The article at this link https://apjjf.org/-tsuyoshi-hasegawa/2501/article.html reinforces what I stated earlier about Japan being stubborn about surrendering.

"The army appeared to minimize the effect of the bomb, without admitting that it was the atomic bomb, insisting that further investigation was necessary.Ē
              " Togo replied: ďI reported that the United States was broadcasting that the atomic bomb would impart a revolutionary change in warfare, and that unless Japan accepted peace it would drop the bombs on other places. The ArmyÖ attempted to minimize its effect, saying that they were not sure if it was the atomic bomb, and that since it [had] dispatched a delegation, it had to wait for its report.Ē[8] The picture that emerges from this testimony is that Togo merely reported the U.S. message. Perhaps he merely conveyed his preference to consider the Potsdam Proclamation by reporting Trumanís message. But when met with stiff opposition from Army Minister Anami Korechika, who dismissed the American atomic bomb message as mere propaganda, Togo, without a fight, accepted Anamiís proposal to wait until the delegation submitted its official findings.
              Japan's military didn't want to surrender. Their last ditch effort to try and turn the tide or at a minimum come to a truce was evident by the use of Kamikaze pilots at the end.

Comment

I can't argue the bolded and the warnings have recently, 20 years or so, been apart of some debates.
                I can argue with some assertion that Moscow was pushing In on to the Manchurian front that Japan was occupying, In which Japan knew that If Russia was to go all In,.. their days were numbered as a Country.

It's a great debate and I was raised to think the bombings forced Japan's surrender also. But more information has come to light.

Here's a good article that can explain my previous post better than I.

https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...nese-surrender

https://apjjf.org/-tsuyoshi-hasegawa/2501/article.html

1: The Influence of the Hiroshima Bomb on Japanís Decision to Surrender

"In order to discuss the influence of the atomic bombs on Japanís decision to surrender, we must examine three separate issues: (1) the effect of the Hiroshima bomb; (2) the effect of the Nagasaki bomb; and (3) the effect of the two bombs combined.
                Let us first examine the effect of the Hiroshima bomb. In order to prove that the Hiroshima bomb had a decisive effect on Japanís decision, Asada and Frank use the following evidence: (1) the August 7 cabinet meeting; (2) the testimony of Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal Kido Koichi concerning the emperorís statement on August 7; and (3) the emperorís statement to Foreign Minister Togo Shigenori on August 8."

The Potsdam Proclamation was already done at this point and Japan knew It. Germany had already been defeated for a few months.

After the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Stalin still attacked on the western front of Manchuria/Current day China. August 9th... 3 days later. Later that day, we still dropped the bomb on Nagasaki.
                There were other factors also. Truman was very concerned that if he didn't use the bomb and we had to invade, the public would crucify him (and rightfully so) for sending so many Americans to the slaughter an invasion of the home islands would be when he'd had a way to stop the war quickly and without the loss of so many American lives. Also, we didn't want Russia invading Japan and then holding on to part of the country as a communist satellite like they'd done in Eastern Europe. For all the handwringing and second guessing and false claims that Japan was just about to surrender anyway (they weren't), Harry did the right thing.
                Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

I think you misread what I wrote. I didn't say Russia wasn't applying pressure. Russia didn't want to get involved in the war in the Pacific, but reluctantly agreed as part of a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" agreement. How much pressure and military force would they bring is still up for debate as Japan surrendered before anyone could find out.

The article at this link https://apjjf.org/-tsuyoshi-hasegawa/2501/article.html reinforces what I stated earlier about Japan being stubborn about surrendering.

Japan's military didn't want to surrender. Their last ditch effort to try and turn the tide or at a minimum come to a truce was evident by the use of Kamikaze pilots at the end.

Last Ditch Effort Is right. It's an interesting debate, as i said. There's more to it tho. Kamikaze pilots had been used earlier in the war. It wasn't something new to the Navy.

Japanese fighters (from what I've read) fought for honor. It's hard to decipher the actual nature of a man (Japanese) through the eyes of today's man, in nature.
                  Last edited by Circa; 08-07-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I'll post this video. It opened up a bunch of questions about the situation, and It's a pretty good start.

Oliver Stone: Chapter 3
                    Oliver Stone? The man takes way too many liberties with telling of events. He's the king of conspiracy theory.

Go watch the History Channel. "WWII: Race to Victory". It talks about the meetings and negotiations between the U.S., England and Russia.
                    Last edited by Irish#1; 08-07-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                      There were other factors also. Truman was very concerned that if he didn't use the bomb and we had to invade, the public would crucify him (and rightfully so) for sending so many Americans to the slaughter an invasion of the home islands would be when he'd had a way to stop the war quickly and without the loss of so many American lives. Also, we didn't want Russia invading Japan and then holding on to part of the country as a communist satellite like they'd done in Eastern Europe. For all the handwringing and second guessing and false claims that Japan was just about to surrender anyway (they weren't), Harry did the right thing.

Ok, It Is debatable through many historical thoughts. I can appreciate your take.

Comment

Oliver Stone? The man takes way too many liberties with telling of events. He's the king of conspiracy theory.

Go watch the History Channel. I can't remember the name of the show, but it talks about the meetings and negotiations between the U.S., England and Russia.
                        Ok. I'm sure I've watched many of the shows already and I try to keep an open mind to all the facts that are surrounding the events of that time. I had a "grandfather for a few years that was a tail gunner in B-29's in the pacific. He was kind of a foster GP. He hated the "Japs", as he would call them. I understand the reason why so many try to keep the older ways of understanding at the end of WW2.

In case I need a Disclaimer Again. I'm not trying to change history and NO I don't think Oliver Is either. I believe there is always one side of a story and the other side comes after we have already learned the first.

Those meetings were the Potsdam proclamation (Treaty)... btw.

Have you watched the "Untold History Of The USA"?
                        Last edited by Circa; 08-07-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Ok. I'm sure I've watched many of the shows already and I try to keep an open mind to all the facts that are surrounding the events of that time.

In case I need a Disclaimer Again. I'm not trying to change history and NO I don't think Oliver Is either. I believe there is always one side of a story and the other side comes after we have already learned the first.
                          "WWII: Race to Victory"

I tend not to lean towards revisionists as they're are usually trying to rewrite history after the fact and many times for personal gain.

Comment

"WWII: Race to Victory"

I tend not to lean towards revisionists as they're are usually trying to rewrite history after the fact and many times for personal gain.
                            I get It. It's very hard to gain the scope of History through some simple versions that the 'once again' media has told.
                            After all, history is called exactly what It sounds like.

His Story. Who Is His?

I've actually wanted to write a book (Who's Story Is His Story) with that as the name... I doubt i will... life's hard enough already.
                            Last edited by Circa; 08-07-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Original footage used to animate the first Mortal Kombat video game �� <a href="https://t.co/z2ZpaFCZwN">pic.twitter.com/z2ZpaFCZwN</a></p>&mdash; History Uncovered (@Iearnhistory) <a href="https://twitter.com/Iearnhistory/status/1295218319834796033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We just drove three hours my 8-year-old brother for a getaway and the house we arrived at ended up having seemingly satanic items and stuff for witchcraft rituals.<br><br>We had to leave because my brother (and the rest of us) were frightened. But <a href="https://twitter.com/Airbnb?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Airbnb</a> won’t refund me. (THREAD) <a href="https://t.co/3AlECcEpmE">pic.twitter.com/3AlECcEpmE</a></p>&mdash; Frederick Joseph (@FredTJoseph) <a href="https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1303109572467593216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 7, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Be warned: some of these pics are mildly NSFW. But the whole thread is Not Safe for Life/ Soul. I woulda noped outta this place so fast.

Comment

• And people are replying to the thread defending the idols...

Comment

• https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...?ocid=msedgntp

This nutjob was recently convicted of the 2014 Jeffersonville, IN murder of his ex-girlfriend, whom he then cannibalized. Police found him in her home with her mutilated body in the tub and this guy with a skillet, a bloody pair of tongs and a plate with parts of her body on it. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We just drove three hours my 8-year-old brother for a getaway and the house we arrived at ended up having seemingly satanic items and stuff for witchcraft rituals.<br><br>We had to leave because my brother (and the rest of us) were frightened. But <a href="https://twitter.com/Airbnb?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Airbnb</a> wonít refund me. (THREAD) <a href="https://t.co/3AlECcEpmE">pic.twitter.com/3AlECcEpmE</a></p>&mdash; Frederick Joseph (@FredTJoseph) <a href="https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1303109572467593216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 7, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Be warned: some of these pics are mildly NSFW. But the whole thread is Not Safe for Life/ Soul. I woulda noped outta this place so fast.
                                      Nah Whiskey. You would have gone straight Rituale Romanum and smited their evil asses.
                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• I'm truly shocked he's not allowed to teach kindergarten kids.....

A man covered his face with tattoos and turned his eyes black. He says it cost him his kindergarten teaching job
                                        https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/28/europ...ntl/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                          Nah Whiskey. You would have gone straight Rituale Romanum and smited their evil asses.
                                          People like this existing makes me think it might be time for an inquisition. Freedom of religion and what not has substantial benefits for the normal people but....alas some folks cannot be given an inch without taking a mile. DEUS VULT.

Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                            I'm truly shocked he's not allowed to teach kindergarten kids.....

A man covered his face with tattoos and turned his eyes black. He says it cost him his kindergarten teaching job
                                            https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/28/europ...ntl/index.html
                                            Like he didn't know before he got the tats?

Remake of Kindergarten Cop?

Comment

Like he didn't know before he got the tats?

Remake of Kindergarten Cop?
                                              Talk about a career and lifestyle mismatch. Yes, would make for a good movie, but I'd say a horror flick.

Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                              People like this existing makes me think it might be time for an inquisition. Freedom of religion and what not has substantial benefits for the normal people but....alas some folks cannot be given an inch without taking a mile. DEUS VULT.
                                              The guy that tweeted that looks to be an ultra progressive for NY that calls for killing cops. I'm a little surprised he was taken aback by the place...

Comment

• My mom sent me this article a couple of days ago about Jody Singer, the Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center (Werner Von Braun's old job). She and I dated a few times in high school. She was a majorette and a real cutie. I knew she was smart, but didn't know she was this level of bright and driven. Really good to see an old friend do well.

https://hartselletigertimes.wixsite....GgAhMndsgpeyTM

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                                  My mom sent me this article a couple of days ago about Jody Singer, the Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center (Werner Von Braun's old job). She and I dated a few times in high school. She was a majorette and a real cutie. I knew she was smart, but didn't know she was this level of bright and driven. Really good to see an old friend do well.

https://hartselletigertimes.wixsite....GgAhMndsgpeyTM
                                                  Apparently she did and why she dumped you. You were holding her back!

Just kidding!

Comment

Apparently she did and why she dumped you. You were holding her back!

Just kidding!
                                                    LOL! Probably so! I have to confess some stupidity and typical teenage insecurity on my part at the time. We went out twice. Both times went really well, we had a great time, and she was flirty, affectionate, and made it rather obvious that she was interested. I never asked her out again because I was afraid she'd say no. Sigh. Until late in my senior year, I was a hopeless mess of being scared and insecure with girls.

Comment

• "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                        I love it

Comment

• Bro, that's from last year...albeit awesome.
                                                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                            Bro, that's from last year...albeit awesome.
                                                            I think it's been making the rounds again because that guy was just selected in the first round of the CFL draft lol

Comment

• And people complain about our WR's. lol

Comment

• I sometimes think about slowly dropping hints and indications on this board that I'm Brian Driskell just to see what everyone would do. I would love to see what my PMs would look like after that.

But then I remember that way too many people on this board actually know who I am.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• meta within meta
                                                                  "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Give him an "A" for creativity.

Comment

• Our daughter in law is officially a U.S. citizen!

Comment

meta within meta
                                                                        Idc if that guy is Republican or Democrat. Absolutely based.
                                                                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Our daughter in law is officially a U.S. citizen!

Hell yeah *Lee Greenwood on repeat*
                                                                          Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• My wife’s father was a train engineer like his father before him and his father before him. Every time we would visit her father there was always a guitar case sitting upright in the corner of his room but we never saw it elsewhere and it was never open so I never knew what was in it. I asked my wife and she said it was “Diddy’s guitar”. He had other guitars so I asked if he had ever played it while we were around and she said no but didn’t have a reason why.

6 months ago her father told my wife she could take the guitar and it was hers from here on out. Not knowing anything about it we visited one day and left with this case. We loaded it up and drove the 4 hours back home before opening it up. What I saw was an acoustic guitar that was in shambles. Multiple Holes in the body, tuning pegs were loose, string pegs were gone, neck was kind of bent, ivory was toast, frets were worn down. All in all I was like “why would he give this to us?”

My wife finally opened up and told me this was the guitar her grandfather purchased but she wasn’t sure when. He had played it and then given it to her father as a gift when he was 20 something. Her father was gone on the train lines for months at a time and he took this guitar everywhere during the 60s-90s. He retired and kept the guitar at home and played it all the time with friends and family. When she left the house for college she lost track of it and if here dad played it. Ultimately she guessed it got damaged and was put up in this state.

it was a Martin So we decided to send it to Martin to see what it would take to fix it and make it playable. A few weeks later after we sent it in Martin called back and told us this was a 1946 D18. They’re able to find the serial number during the inspection and confirmed it’s age and model. They said they could fix it and make it playable. So we had them do it and I just got it back last week.

it’s amazing. It sounds so good. Anyway just wanted to relay this as this guitar is basically my wife’s family’s red violin. Haha. We have no idea what stories it’s seen or been apart of but it’s nearly 80 years old and I hope to have given it another 100 years of life to pass on to my son.

Comment

Martin called back and told us this was a 1946 D18.

I hope to have given it another 100 years of life to pass on to my son.
                                                                              That's a great story and what a family heirloom! I'm sure Martin told you, but that guitar is worth quite a bit of money. D18's from that era are typically worth around $6,500-$7,000 if they're in good condition. Make sure you insure it and keep it safe.

Comment

• I'm not musically inclined (can't keep a beat, can't sing, can't dance), but thats badass
                                                                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• https://news.yahoo.com/greater-idaho...024749550.html

• Rural organizers in Oregon are pushing to have more than 18 counties join Idaho.
                                                                                  • The Greater Idaho movement seeks to transfer more than 70% of Oregon's land to Idaho.
                                                                                  • Leaders of the movement say Oregon's Legislature does not represent rural residents.
                                                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

My wife’s father was a train engineer like his father before him and his father before him. Every time we would visit her father there was always a guitar case sitting upright in the corner of his room but we never saw it elsewhere and it was never open so I never knew what was in it. I asked my wife and she said it was “Diddy’s guitar”. He had other guitars so I asked if he had ever played it while we were around and she said no but didn’t have a reason why.

6 months ago her father told my wife she could take the guitar and it was hers from here on out. Not knowing anything about it we visited one day and left with this case. We loaded it up and drove the 4 hours back home before opening it up. What I saw was an acoustic guitar that was in shambles. Multiple Holes in the body, tuning pegs were loose, string pegs were gone, neck was kind of bent, ivory was toast, frets were worn down. All in all I was like “why would he give this to us?”

My wife finally opened up and told me this was the guitar her grandfather purchased but she wasn’t sure when. He had played it and then given it to her father as a gift when he was 20 something. Her father was gone on the train lines for months at a time and he took this guitar everywhere during the 60s-90s. He retired and kept the guitar at home and played it all the time with friends and family. When she left the house for college she lost track of it and if here dad played it. Ultimately she guessed it got damaged and was put up in this state.

it was a Martin So we decided to send it to Martin to see what it would take to fix it and make it playable. A few weeks later after we sent it in Martin called back and told us this was a 1946 D18. They’re able to find the serial number during the inspection and confirmed it’s age and model. They said they could fix it and make it playable. So we had them do it and I just got it back last week.

it’s amazing. It sounds so good. Anyway just wanted to relay this as this guitar is basically my wife’s family’s red violin. Haha. We have no idea what stories it’s seen or been apart of but it’s nearly 80 years old and I hope to have given it another 100 years of life to pass on to my son.
                                                                                    Very nice.

Comment

• It will never happen. Too many maps would need to be redone!

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                          lol she could be Amy Schumers sister.
                                                                                          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                            Go ahead and tell yourself that young lady. I doubt the victim's family feels the same way.

Comment

• There is so much going on with that picture and story

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                                                There is so much going on with that picture and story
                                                                                                its a parody account but still funny as hell. same folks who photoshopped the "Harry Potter Hates Ohio" logon onto that NHL players shirt
                                                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• I knew a girl who had a truckin and fuckin shirt. She was a slut. True story.

Comment

I knew a girl who had a truckin and fuckin shirt. She was a slut. True story.
                                                                                                    Does she identify as a slut or are you selfishly labeling here? lol
                                                                                                    Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 06-11-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Does she identify as a slut or are you selfishly labeling here? lol
                                                                                                      When someone tells you who they are... believe them. :)

PS I accidentally meant to quote you but hit the edit button instead. I didnt edit your post.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X