What Really Grinds Your Gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
    My fiance and I flew to Florida on New Years. Dude sitting next to me on the plane downloaded Friends episodes to his phones and watched them for 2.5 hours...without headphones.

I asked him if he had headphones and he said no. I asked why and he shrugged his shoulders. So I listened to that for 2.5 hours and almost committed the last murder of 2020.
    That guy should be dead.

Comment

My fiance and I flew to Florida on New Years. Dude sitting next to me on the plane downloaded Friends episodes to his phones and watched them for 2.5 hours...without headphones.

I asked him if he had headphones and he said no. I asked why and he shrugged his shoulders. So I listened to that for 2.5 hours and almost committed the last murder of 2020.
      You gotta fly with your own pair of noise-cancellers. Even if you don't plan on using them, they might become necessary lol.

Comment

• The fact that the only Mission style burrito I can get in south Texas are the ones from garbage ass Chipotle,...
        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
          Make sure you give your mothers maiden name, street you grew up on, and your father's oldest brother.
          Oh for sure. Some prince from Nigeria actually asked for it last week. Said if I do him a favor, he will cover my student loans!
          Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
            The fact that the only Mission style burrito I can get in south Texas are the ones from garbage ass Chipotle,...
            Where the hell are you in South Texas?

Comment

• What really grinds my gears is seeing morons I went to high school with calling for marital law because their idol trump got banned on Twitter legit every social media platform has a terms of service that you agree to when you sign up I mean itís not that hard to see why social media bans happened after calls for violence Shit Iím banned on Twitter currently for TOS violations and Iím not calling for the end of the damn world

Comment

• The moron in question is a Michigan fan tho so we already know probably didn’t have a brain to begin with

Comment

• I mean shit people get banned for TOS violations all the time thatís what happens when you sign up for services like Xbox and Sony you have to agree terms of service when doing anything

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                    Where the hell are you in South Texas?
                    El Paso dude,... they claim they invented the burrito, it’s provably not true but try telling them that, and their burrito have one ingredient, two if you are very lucky... it,... sucks.
                    This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                      El Paso dude,... they claim they invented the burrito, itís provably not true but try telling them that, and their burrito have one ingredient, two if you are very lucky... it,... sucks.
                      El Paso is South Texas? I thought you were visiting SA or the Valley. I've always thought of EP as West Texas since it's about as West as you can get lol. Prolly more culturally in line with South Texas though, as you said.

Mission burritos haven't been all that common on menus I see, minus some fast food places around here. Freebirds I thought is vastly superior to Chipotle, if you happen to see any. At the very least, their salsas ain't bland AF like Chipotle.

Anyways, you should know by now that Mission Burritos are a Cali thing that have slowly moved elsewhere! Texas is proud of their own style, whether it be Tex-Mex or true Mexican. Y'all got lonches over there?

And why the heck have you not just been making your own??

Comment

• FWIW when I think South Texas i think McAllen or at the most North...Corpus Christi. Then again...El Paso is on the border.

Not sure how people living in Texas view it...but nationally, the general assumption would be that any part of Texas within a short drive of Mexico is South Texas. But I know better than to mess with the good people of Texas and tell them whether east is west, or north is south. Friendly people down there but they also frighten me.
                        Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                          Oh for sure. Some prince from Nigeria actually asked for it last week. Said if I do him a favor, he will cover my student loans!
                          I read that "oh for sure" in the typical Canadian/Minnesota/ND accent "ooooo fur sure bawd" style. A guy I game with is from St. Paul and the man calls the roof the ruf, you guys just pack lips and play shinny all day?

Comment

I read that "oh for sure" in the typical Canadian/Minnesota/ND accent "ooooo fur sure bawd" style. A guy I game with is from St. Paul and the man calls the roof the ruf, you guys just pack lips and play shinny all day?
                            I have no idea what you're trying to say

Comment

Stupid government agencies.

So I got an internship this spring with a state agency in NY. Seems cool, we will see. One of the requirements is getting fingerprinted. This is dumb for two reasons:

1. I'm not going to be in a position to touch or do anything significant in this job and
                              2. Its remote! I will not be in the same f'ing time zone as any NY state property.

Anyways, they have the fingerprint requirement so I go to book one. It appears one company has exclusive rights to n digital fingerprinting done by NY state agencies. They have a few offices in ND, so no big deal right? Ha! No. None of these offices offer digital fingerprinting. Not one. O call the company to see if maybe their website is inaccurate because it seemed odd they'd offer everything but their premier service. The closest place they have is a Minneapolis suburb. So I would need to make an overnight trip to go get my fingerprints taken, for an unpaid internship being done remotely for a job 1500 miles away.

So I check with the Marshals, and FBI, they both said they don't have the ability to do this either. I emailed NY State back and filled them in. We will see what they do. A rational department would say oh shoot yeah who gives a shit but since it's New York, who knows.
                              If you have access to personal info, they need the fingerprint background check to make sure you're not a risk to steal and sell off said info. In healthcare, we have OIG to deal with. Violations, even accidental ones, can result in six to seven-figure fines. We had one guy volunteering, VOLUNTEERING, for years -- unfortunately he was on the exclusion list. We had to negotiate the fine down from $850K.
                              Last edited by SonofOahu; 01-13-2021, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
                                That guy should be dead.
                                Shit, at least he got to watch Jennifer Aniston pokies for 2.5 hours.

Comment

FWIW when I think South Texas i think McAllen or at the most North...Corpus Christi. Then again...El Paso is on the border.

Not sure how people living in Texas view it...but nationally, the general assumption would be that any part of Texas within a short drive of Mexico is South Texas. But I know better than to mess with the good people of Texas and tell them whether east is west, or north is south. Friendly people down there but they also frighten me.
                                  I was of your viewpoint for the longest time, I thought people telling me that San Antonio (little more than 1 hour away) is South Texas was crazy! But South Texas = Texican/more Hispanic culture clears it all up. One of my very best friends lives about 3 miles from the Border down in the Rio Grande Valley, and I love that place. While driving to meet her (a future Carmelite, so pray an Ave for her), a ton of those small towns really start to blend together and look the same. Yeah they might still look Texan, but dang if they don't all start looking very different than the old Czech and German towns in Central Texas and certainly different from the Piney Woods in N Texas and flat part of W Louisiana aka E Texas.

Now once you get down into the Valley, it'll look a little different, but South Texas is its own beast, and a great one at that.

Comment

We say bud...not bawd...this ain't letterkenny lol. It is indeed called a ruf...and it ain't called packing a lip its called throwing a chaw in. But pretty good there. Only minor complaints here nothing too bad.

Outstate Minnesota accents get pretty bad(see the film Fargo).
                                    , folks in the Twin Cities got next to nothing that'll give them away. They might give the hard O but thats about it.

The outstate Minnesota guys.... some of them I'll even give a tough time even though mine gets bad after a couple cold ones. ND folks can have bad ones (hit or miss eh) til you get a bit further west. Ya hit the state capital and they get a bit more cowboy instead of hick but we love them all the same. You go down to the German Triangle (Strasburg, Wishek, Napoleon) folks over the age of 50 or 60 still struggle with saying J's...your name isn't John or James its Ch-on or Ch-ames. Lawrence Welk is from there for you old timers... looking at you OMM.

For not having many folks we still got some goofy shit. Don't even get me started on how the reservations talk, not racist just distinctive accents and speech patterns lol. I can still figure out what they are saying. Tough wrestlers too.
                                    Last edited by NorthDakota; 01-13-2021, 02:45 AM.
                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                      I was of your viewpoint for the longest time, I thought people telling me that San Antonio (little more than 1 hour away) is South Texas was crazy! But South Texas = Texican/more Hispanic culture clears it all up. One of my very best friends lives about 3 miles from the Border down in the Rio Grande Valley, and I love that place. While driving to meet her (a future Carmelite, so pray an Ave for her), a ton of those small towns really start to blend together and look the same. Yeah they might still look Texan, but dang if they don't all start looking very different than the old Czech and German towns in Central Texas and certainly different from the Piney Woods in N Texas and flat part of W Louisiana aka E Texas.

Now once you get down into the Valley, it'll look a little different, but South Texas is its own beast, and a great one at that.
                                      I've heard of the Holy Roman Empire communities down there. Seems odd. Would love to get down there at some point. God bless Texas.
                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
                                        My mom's long time BF is retired IFD and he doesn't even have a HS diploma. Times have certainly changed since he was hired...

Back on topic - why she scheduled these painters over today and tomorrow knowing it's my last two days before returning to work is beyond me, but it's grinding my gears. Can't I just enjoy my last couple of days off in peace...???
                                        Tell her you need to run a couple of errands and head on over to Southeastern Ave. lol

Comment

• One of the best developments in IT was the PC. One of the worse developments in IT was the PC. Which leads to "What Grinds My Gears". People who want to tell you how to do your job when they have no experience in IT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                            One of the best developments in IT was the PC. One of the worse developments in IT was the PC. Which leads to "What Grinds My Gears". People who want to tell you how to do your job when they have no experience in IT.
                                            Isn't 95% of IT "turn it off and turn it back on?"

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofOahu View Post
                                              If you have access to personal info, they need the fingerprint background check to make sure you're not a risk to steal and sell off said info. In healthcare, we have OIG to deal with. Violations, even accidental ones, can result in six to seven-figure fines. We had one guy volunteering, VOLUNTEERING, for years -- unfortunately he was on the exclusion list. We had to negotiate the fine down from $850K.
                                              To be fair, I have no idea if I will have access to anything. But it is a financial focused deal here so I imagine I may see some things. Oddly enough, when I was getting a Too Secret clearance I did not need to be fingerprinted.

So today I got up at 6. Drove to Minneapolis. Was there for like 20 min, and drove him. About 11 hours of driving... for that. Fuck that.
                                              Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Irish View Post
                                                Isn't 95% of IT "turn it off and turn it back on?"
                                                It certainly fixes a lot of little issues that pop up. You'd be surprised how many people never do that before calling for support. We have one lady that will call at least twice a week. Most of the time she's locked her account because she can't remember her password. She's also the same one that locked up and infected her computer after clicking on a suspicious email. "I know I shouldn't have clicked on it, but I couldn't resist".

Comment

• People who use the self-checkout line at the grocery store and have no idea where to find these mysterious bar codes that they need to scan. I watched 2 guys in line at the store yesterday; they looked like the primates at the beginning of "2001" who slowly discovered they could use a bone as a weapon.

Comment

People who use the self-checkout line at the grocery store and have no idea where to find these mysterious bar codes that they need to scan. I watched 2 guys in line at the store yesterday; they looked like the primates at the beginning of "2001" who slowly discovered they could use a bone as a weapon.

Comment

• A few words that have become common in the American English lexicon that make me cringe are “peeps” & “fam”. Don’t know why, just crawls on my skin.

Comment

People who use the self-checkout line at the grocery store and have no idea where to find these mysterious bar codes that they need to scan. I watched 2 guys in line at the store yesterday; they looked like the primates at the beginning of "2001" who slowly discovered they could use a bone as a weapon.
                                                        Now you've got me picturing one of the troglodytes accidentally braining the other in the supermarket checkout line and going apeshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDFAN420 View Post
                                                          Now you've got me picturing one of the troglodytes accidentally braining the other in the supermarket checkout line and going apeshit.
                                                          That would have been incredible. I would've paid for the groceries of everyone in line if I could watch that show.

Comment

• We have this salesman who is annually the top salesman in the company. He has a tendency to cuss and belittle people when he's pissed off. Right after the first of the year, he complains that his phone is crap and can't get good reception in a lot of places. A lot of his territory includes some areas where cell coverage is spotty. None the less, it was about 3 years old so we order the guy a new phone. This week he calls me and complains he's not getting email on his phone. There will be periods of several hours where nothing comes through then it starts back up. He starts cussing, saying it's BS. Come to find out, he was still using his old phone. He's had the new phone for two months! I tell him to make the change and see what happens.

His excuse? According to him, he's never had the time to swap. It's a five minute process you dip shit.

Comment

We have this salesman who is annually the top salesman in the company. He has a tendency to cuss and belittle people when he's pissed off. Right after the first of the year, he complains that his phone is crap and can't get good reception in a lot of places. A lot of his territory includes some areas where cell coverage is spotty. None the less, it was about 3 years old so we order the guy a new phone. This week he calls me and complains he's not getting email on his phone. There will be periods of several hours where nothing comes through then it starts back up. He starts cussing, saying it's BS. Come to find out, he was still using his old phone. He's had the new phone for two months! I tell him to make the change and see what happens.

His excuse? According to him, he's never had the time to swap. It's a five minute process you dip shit.
                                                              He's too busy worrying about his ABC's and grabbing coffee lol

Comment

• There are supposed to be two guys in my position where I work, but I am currently the only one on staff. We just opened a new location, so I guess they want to settle in and see what our workload looks like prior to bringing in additional staff. Naturally, this means I am swamped most days as I'm the only point of contact for our technicians, customers, AND insurance companies. I have to juggle all three angles for every job that we have. That's not what grinds my gears, though.

What grinds my gears is our office administrator. She's the front desk. She's supposed to answer the phone, provide updates to customers and insurance agents based on the calendar we keep [meticulously] updated for her, and she's supposed to receive our parts orders. Just the tiniest bit of effort from her would save me 2+ hours per day of not having to deal with the minutiae of our communications needs.

She will let the phone ring 4 times to see if me or my manager will answer it before she has to. She will sit at her desk playing Candy Crush and listening to Pandora, but as soon as she sees a delivery coming towards the front door, THAT is when she has to get up to go do something... that way she doesn't have to sign the paperwork, scan it into the digital file jackets, or put the delivery into the staging area, all of which has to be done immediately upon delivery. We can't just let it sit and wait until she gets back to her desk, so that's another 15-20 minutes of work for me or my manager whenever we have a delivery, which is several times per day.

When she really doesn't feel like doing her job, or when there is a customer in the waiting area where her desk is, it's becoming more and more frequent for her to leave the front office without an explanation, and then later say "sorry, that guy was making me really uncomfortable." There have been a few instance where we've had strange guys in here, and I don't mind if she clears out because it's a strange situation and she's feeling weird about it. Take care of your people and all that. But recently, it seems a LOT of people make her feel uncomfortable. I'm starting to think the idea of basic customer service and communication is what's making her feel uncomfortable, and she'd rather me deal with customers in our waiting are while I've got another customer on hold, and an insurance agent waiting for a call back.

The worst part, though? She does this thing where she gets up from her desk and then comes to stand in my doorway, and stares and my back until I turn around and ask her what she needs. She will shuffle her feet, jiggle her keys, huff-and-puff to let me know she's agitated about something, or even do the fake cough thing to make her presence known. JUST ANNOUNCE YOURSELF AND GET ON WITH IT. I don't have time to play communication games.

My first few months here, I just thought she was a timid personality, and excused a lot of her issues.

But now I know she's just lazy and poor with interpersonal communication.

Getting an office admin that is actually productive and capable of managing a calendar for updates themselves would probably increase our productivity by a not-insignificant margin, and would in turn result in improved profits. BUT, she's the daughter of a friend of our GM's, so she's here until she decides to leave or until she starts stealing from the company, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                  There are supposed to be two guys in my position where I work, but I am currently the only one on staff. We just opened a new location, so I guess they want to settle in and see what our workload looks like prior to bringing in additional staff. Naturally, this means I am swamped most days as I'm the only point of contact for our technicians, customers, AND insurance companies. I have to juggle all three angles for every job that we have. That's not what grinds my gears, though.

What grinds my gears is our office administrator. She's the front desk. She's supposed to answer the phone, provide updates to customers and insurance agents based on the calendar we keep [meticulously] updated for her, and she's supposed to receive our parts orders. Just the tiniest bit of effort from her would save me 2+ hours per day of not having to deal with the minutiae of our communications needs.

She will let the phone ring 4 times to see if me or my manager will answer it before she has to. She will sit at her desk playing Candy Crush and listening to Pandora, but as soon as she sees a delivery coming towards the front door, THAT is when she has to get up to go do something... that way she doesn't have to sign the paperwork, scan it into the digital file jackets, or put the delivery into the staging area, all of which has to be done immediately upon delivery. We can't just let it sit and wait until she gets back to her desk, so that's another 15-20 minutes of work for me or my manager whenever we have a delivery, which is several times per day.

When she really doesn't feel like doing her job, or when there is a customer in the waiting area where her desk is, it's becoming more and more frequent for her to leave the front office without an explanation, and then later say "sorry, that guy was making me really uncomfortable." There have been a few instance where we've had strange guys in here, and I don't mind if she clears out because it's a strange situation and she's feeling weird about it. Take care of your people and all that. But recently, it seems a LOT of people make her feel uncomfortable. I'm starting to think the idea of basic customer service and communication is what's making her feel uncomfortable, and she'd rather me deal with customers in our waiting are while I've got another customer on hold, and an insurance agent waiting for a call back.

The worst part, though? She does this thing where she gets up from her desk and then comes to stand in my doorway, and stares and my back until I turn around and ask her what she needs. She will shuffle her feet, jiggle her keys, huff-and-puff to let me know she's agitated about something, or even do the fake cough thing to make her presence known. JUST ANNOUNCE YOURSELF AND GET ON WITH IT. I don't have time to play communication games.

My first few months here, I just thought she was a timid personality, and excused a lot of her issues.

Getting an office admin that is actually productive and capable of managing a calendar for updates themselves would probably increase our productivity by a not-insignificant margin, and would in turn result in improved profits. BUT, she's the daughter of a friend of our GM's, so she's here until she decides to leave or until she starts stealing from the company, I guess.
                                                                  Is she hot?

Comment

Is she hot?
                                                                    No!

Would I be posting any of my complaints if she were? No comment.

Comment

There are supposed to be two guys in my position where I work, but I am currently the only one on staff. We just opened a new location, so I guess they want to settle in and see what our workload looks like prior to bringing in additional staff. Naturally, this means I am swamped most days as I'm the only point of contact for our technicians, customers, AND insurance companies. I have to juggle all three angles for every job that we have. That's not what grinds my gears, though.

sounds like sabotage is your only option
                                                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

sounds like sabotage is your only option
                                                                        Or hire a hit man. I'm sure their industry has taken a hit because of Covid and rates are very reasonable.

Comment

I'm guessing your boss is spineless?

Comment

We have this salesman who is annually the top salesman in the company. He has a tendency to cuss and belittle people when he's pissed off. Right after the first of the year, he complains that his phone is crap and can't get good reception in a lot of places. A lot of his territory includes some areas where cell coverage is spotty. None the less, it was about 3 years old so we order the guy a new phone. This week he calls me and complains he's not getting email on his phone. There will be periods of several hours where nothing comes through then it starts back up. He starts cussing, saying it's BS. Come to find out, he was still using his old phone. He's had the new phone for two months! I tell him to make the change and see what happens.

The dude calls me yesterday to inquire about something else, so I ask him if he's had any issues since he swapped his phone? Not one.

Comment

• Sanding drywall. I can hang it or patch all day but to hell with sanding or paint prep in general.

Comment

I'm guessing your boss is spineless?
                                                                                I think 'Oblivious' would be a better word lol.

He's got no problem jettisoning technicians that aren't holding up, but I guess the front office issues aren't as readily apparent since I have no choice but to pick up the slack to make sure we keep moving. Maybe I should just ask for half of her salary?

Comment

I think 'Oblivious' would be a better word lol.

He's got no problem jettisoning technicians that aren't holding up, but I guess the front office issues aren't as readily apparent since I have no choice but to pick up the slack to make sure we keep moving. Maybe I should just ask for half of her salary?
                                                                                  Or quit picking up the slack!

Comment

• People who don't take St. Patrick's day serious

Comment

• People who are late for meetings. Respect everyone else's time please.

Sales people who I've not done business with sending me a Meeting Invite hoping I'll just click and accept.

Sales people who keep sending me emails hoping they'll wear me down. "Hi Jim, Perhaps you didn't see my previous email" and/or "I don't want to be a pest, but maybe you didn't see my previous email" or "perhaps I should be reaching out to someone else?".

Comment

People who are late for meetings. Respect everyone else's time please.

Sales people who I've not done business with sending me a Meeting Invite hoping I'll just click and accept.

Sales people who keep sending me emails hoping they'll wear me down. "Hi Jim, Perhaps you didn't see my previous email" and/or "I don't want to be a pest, but maybe you didn't see my previous email" or "perhaps I should be reaching out to someone else?".
                                                                                        It's Christy's fault, she gave me a free 2 for 1 lap dance at the Brass Flamingo during lunch! Won't happen again.

Comment

I work in sales, Papa Bear, and #2 is down right hilarious...and desperate. There's a fine line between persistence and annoying. But to be fair...sales people don't have the cushy gig they did when guys like Don Draper and Roger Sterling were having martinis for breakfast, getting a quickie from their secretary, then stepping out for an afternoon at the movies. Salesforce, metrics, analytics, and everything else has made an art more focused on daily/ weekly numbers than the actual end goal.

Rant over. But can I have your work email address? Haha
                                                                                          The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

My meeting peeve? People who do not pay attention then drag a meeting out exploring topics covered 50 minutes earlier. A close second the meeting chair who lets it happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post

My meeting peeve? People who do not pay attention then drag a meeting out exploring topics covered 50 minutes earlier. A close second the meeting chair who lets it happen.
                                                                                              This. x10.
                                                                                              Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post

There are few meetings that couldn't be done with an email/memorandum.
                                                                                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

I work in sales, Papa Bear, and #2 is down right hilarious...and desperate. There's a fine line between persistence and annoying. But to be fair...sales people don't have the cushy gig they did when guys like Don Draper and Roger Sterling were having martinis for breakfast, getting a quickie from their secretary, then stepping out for an afternoon at the movies. Salesforce, metrics, analytics, and everything else has made an art more focused on daily/ weekly numbers than the actual end goal.

Rant over. But can I have your work email address? Haha
                                                                                                  Yeah and I get it. I get a long great with all of the sales people I deal with. I suspect those that send the invite hope I inadvertently click on "accept" so when they call I'm obligated to listen. lol

You sure can. It's jimisbusy@leavemealone.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

It's Christy's fault, she gave me a free 2 for 1 lap dance at the Brass Flamingo during lunch! Won't happen again.
                                                                                                    You there with Jake? lol

Comment

• Talk about timing. Just got this one.

I get it. You’re a busy person.

If you just shoot me back a number, I’ll know how to move forward:

1.) I’m interested in hearing more about Band of Coders, let’s set up a call.
                                                                                                      2.) Not a good time, try again in a couple months.
                                                                                                      3.) I don’t handle development, but my colleague does. Here’s their info.
                                                                                                      4.) Not interested, thanks.

Thanks,

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X