Our Careers and Paths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Careers and Paths

Finally, today I have become a Certified Professional Controller (Air Traffic). It has been a long, exciting and stressful process (just under 3 years) of learning, training and not killing peope . Today is a great day for my family and I.

The reason I started this thread, besides being excited about my promotion, was b/c I thought back on how many jobs I had and how much I went through to get to where I am today. I am 31 and have worked as a mason apprentice, a waiter/bartender, at Victoria's Secret (Yes, In college.. awesome), a Hibachi Chef and a video editor for MTV. All these jobs were great but would never have given me the oppurtuniy to have a family and most importantly, be able to take care of them.

What do yo do and how did you get there?

For all the young guys, what is your plan?

YES, this is another "offseason" thread 30 days from kick-off.. :talktohan

AWESOME! Congrats dude. Now could you imagine ME as and air traffic control worker??? LOL None of you would fly ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
      Finally, today I have become a Certified Professional Controller (Air Traffic). It has been a long, exciting and stressful process (just under 3 years) of learning, training and not killing peope . Today is a great day for my family and I.

The reason I started this thread, besides being excited about my promotion, was b/c I thought back on how many jobs I had and how much I went through to get to where I am today. I am 31 and have worked as a mason apprentice, a waiter/bartender, at Victoria's Secret (Yes, In college.. awesome), a Hibachi Chef and a video editor for MTV. All these jobs were great but would never have given me the oppurtuniy to have a family and most importantly, be able to take care of them.

First of all...Congradulations!!!! That is great. I have a friend from HS that is a Air Traffic Controller...she BANKS!

About me....and a little on the career.

1969 - 1987 Raised in Small NM town.

1987 - Went To NMSU to Play College ball

1988 -1992 - Transferred to UNM to Play for the Lobos.

Career
      1993 - 1995 - Moved to So Cal (Thousand Oaks) and worked for Rockwell International as an Environmental Engineer- mainly working on Water Law and compliance. Enjoyed the Northridge quake- not.

1997 - Toured Europe with a Backpack and my brother. Ran with the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain the first week of July 97, scary-scary-scary. Yelled at in a Catholic Church in Vienna, Austria by a little old Austrian Lady—still have no idea why. Spent some time in Mozart’s home town.

Career
      1995 - Present - Started working at Intel in Sort/etest, moved to Israel for a 3 month work assignment. Came back to NM...then moved to Oregon where I worked 3 years. Then Moved back to NM...and now work for Intel PTD Automation on next gen process as a Software Engineer. I live in New Mexico and work for Intel Oregon.
      "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

As "young guy", I have very high goals (who doesn't at 18?). I'm planning on graduating UF with a dual degree in Finance and Political Science with the goal to attend a tier 1 law school.

After law school, my goal is to work with a top firm doing Corporate Law and eventually making my way to partnership at an early age with intentions to retire early.

Odds of that happening....... very, very slim. But thats the plan as of August 2, 2011.

Comment

Congratulations my man.

ND undergrad
          Worked at GE in Finance
          Currently in Northwestern (Kellogg) MBA Program part-time
          Working in Finance/Strategy now

Comment

Congrats Bro, and thank you in advance for keeping all of us air passengers safe...

Since 2001 I have been serving and protecting the people of Oahu..
            Being an L.E.O. is very fun, exciting, stressful, but most of all rewarding. You have the ability to make a positive difference each day....
            Last edited by HawaiianIrish; 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

'10 ND Undergrad (Civil Engineering, Structural Concentration)
              Thought I was going to grad school but then got a sick job offer with a start up company... now doing a lot of work with the DoD and DHS in both the field and on the capture side.

I love it because I always wanted to be in the military but never had the stones to actually do it... and this is the next best thing. Got to touch an F22 Raptor just the other day... so cool.

I also moonlight as a writer for ESPN and some lacrosse magazines/websites since I hung up the cleats. I will have a really cool piece coming out in a couple days on a former ND player who started a charity that is doing a lot of great work in Uganda and the Ugandan lacrosse team that is going to compete in the 2016 World Cup (hopefully). It's like Cool Runnings with sticks and pads.
              Last edited by IrishLax; 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Undergrad at Ohio State in City & Regional Planning, class of 2013.

The career hasn't begun. I'd like to get into city or state-level administration in Ohio or the midwest fixing rustbelt cities.

Graduate school pending, probably at Cornell, Michigan, or Ohio State, or law school at Notre Dame would be pretty slick.

Comment

Congrats buddy, the day you are officially done is a GREAT day.

I went to a small NAIA school in Kansas to play football, graduated in 2003. All through college I knew I wanted to be a chiropractor or a teacher/coach. My last semester I coached for Baker after my eligibility was up, and while I loved it, it just wasn't IT for me. So I bartended and went to juco to get the science pre-req's I needed and started chiropractic school in '05. First semester of chiropractic college I got married, and I got cancer, so I withdrew for treatment. Got rid of the cancer, kept the wife (she's awesome).
                  Went back that following summer and finished in '09.
                  Currently practice w/ my mentor, who treated me through high school and college, and got me interested in the first place. Loving every minute of it, and all the school was worth it to help people everyday....Only downside is being only 1.5 years into my career and I am 30, but everything happens for a reason.
                  My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

Originally posted by fitz_bu47 View Post

I went to a small NAIA school in Kansas to play football, graduated in 2003. All through college I knew I wanted to be a chiropractor or a teacher/coach. My last semester I coached for Baker after my eligibility was up, and while I loved it, it just wasn't IT for me. So I bartended and went to juco to get the science pre-req's I needed and started chiropractic school in '05. First semester of chiropractic college I got married, and I got cancer, so I withdrew for treatment. Got rid of the cancer, kept the wife (she's awesome).
                    Currently practice w/ my mentor, who treated me through high school and college, and got me interested in the first place. Loving every minute of it, and all the school was worth it to help people everyday....Only downside is being only 1.5 years into my career and I am 30, but everything happens for a reason.
                    Alot of respect...you beat cancer! Cheers man.
                    "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

Thank you sir, hope none of you have to deal w/ it.
                      My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                        Congratulations my man.

ND undergrad
                        Worked at GE in Finance
                        Impressive Terry.

What are your thoughts on Northwesterns Computer Science Dept? I am loooking into working on a second Masters and NU has a program that I am interested in. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

2006-2010: Undergrad at Indiana State University in Elementary Education.

2010-present: 2nd grade teacher in Columbia City, Indiana.

I'm about to start back this winter on my Masters in Education. Following that comes Masters in Educational Leadership. I know I at least want to go that far with it, to be able to become a Principal. I don't know how much more schooling I'll want to go through at 28/29 when I get my principal's credentials, but if I can swing it I think I'd like to get my PhD in Education.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                            Thought I was going to grad school but then got a sick job offer with a start up company... now doing a lot of work with the DoD and DHS in both the field and on the capture side.

I love it because I always wanted to be in the military but never had the stones to actually do it... and this is the next best thing. Got to touch an F22 Raptor just the other day... so cool.

I also moonlight as a writer for ESPN and some lacrosse magazines/websites since I hung up the cleats. I will have a really cool piece coming out in a couple days on a former ND player who started a charity that is doing a lot of great work in Uganda and the Ugandan lacrosse team that is going to compete in the 2016 World Cup (hopefully). It's like Cool Runnings with sticks and pads.
                            That sounds like an awesome life, man. Congrats.

I just graduated this May from ND in political science and history. Starting law school at UPenn this fall with hopes of academia afterward.

Comment

'08 grad from ND w/ a BS in Biological Sciences
                              '09 MA from Loyola University Chicago

Currently, I'm about to start my 2nd year of medical school at the IU School of Medicine. My career goal is to be an orthopedic surgeon and ultimately, work for a group that takes care of a professional sports team or high-profile college athletics program.

Comment

I go to community college and my life lacks direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                  You just jinxed yourself. Here comes success!

Comment

Originally posted by NDOM View Post
                                    AWESOME! Congrats dude. Now could you imagine ME as and air traffic control worker??? LOL None of you would fly ever again.
                                    Either you'd be crazy focused or wayyy too laid back lol.. either way it'd be scary as hell.

Originally posted by NDFANnSouthWest View Post
                                    First of all...Congradulations!!!! That is great. I have a friend from HS that is a Air Traffic Controller...she BANKS!

About me....and a little on the career.

1969 - 1987 Raised in Small NM town.

1987 - Went To NMSU to Play College ball

1988 -1992 - Transferred to UNM to Play for the Lobos.

Career
                                    1993 - 1995 - Moved to So Cal (Thousand Oaks) and worked for Rockwell International as an Environmental Engineer- mainly working on Water Law and compliance. Enjoyed the Northridge quake- not.

1997 - Toured Europe with a Backpack and my brother. Ran with the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain the first week of July 97, scary-scary-scary. Yelled at in a Catholic Church in Vienna, Austria by a little old Austrian Lady—still have no idea why. Spent some time in Mozart’s home town.

Career
                                    1995 - Present - Started working at Intel in Sort/etest, moved to Israel for a 3 month work assignment. Came back to NM...then moved to Oregon where I worked 3 years. Then Moved back to NM...and now work for Intel PTD Automation on next gen process as a Software Engineer. I live in New Mexico and work for Intel Oregon.
                                    Thanks SW.. Thats sick that you ran with the bulls dude.. wow.

Originally posted by GainesvilleIrish View Post
                                    As "young guy", I have very high goals (who doesn't at 18?). I'm planning on graduating UF with a dual degree in Finance and Political Science with the goal to attend a tier 1 law school.

After law school, my goal is to work with a top firm doing Corporate Law and eventually making my way to partnership at an early age with intentions to retire early.

Odds of that happening....... very, very slim. But thats the plan as of August 2, 2011.
                                    Shoot high bro!! My buddy just graduated Duke law.. he loved it.

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                                    Congratulations my man.

ND undergrad
                                    Worked at GE in Finance
                                    Thanks TT, same to you.. Great education.

Originally posted by HawaiianIrish View Post
                                    Congrats Bro, and thank you in advance for keeping all of us air passengers safe...

Since 2001 I have been serving and protecting the people of Oahu..
                                    Being an L.E.O. is very fun, exciting, stressful, but most of all rewarding. You have the ability to make a positive difference each day....
                                    Thanks and your welcome! That's great man.. you sound like you'd be a cool, fair officer.

I know what you mean, I work on a Navy base as a civilian controller and love seeing the Harriers and F18s come in.. Met the Blue Angels this year.. Awesome that you write for espn lax.. Im assuming your gonna post the link for us?

Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                                    Undergrad at Ohio State in City & Regional Planning, class of 2013.

The career hasn't begun. I'd like to get into city or state-level administration in Ohio or the midwest fixing rustbelt cities.

Graduate school pending, probably at Cornell, Michigan, or Ohio State, or law school at Notre Dame would be pretty slick.
                                    ND Law would def be sick.. Or if you went to Cornell you could be like Andy from The Office.."Big Tuna is a super ambitious guy, you know? Cut your throat to get ahead kind of guy, but I mean I'm not threatened by him. I went to Cornell, you ever heard of it? I graduated in four years. I never studied once. I was drunk the whole time, and I sang in the acappella group, 'Here Comes Treble.'"

Originally posted by fitz_bu47 View Post

That is a hell of a path my man. Congratulations on your health and defeating that @*#$ing disease. Im with you on the age and the experience but you are there now, where you wanted to be.. all that matters.

Originally posted by MacIrish75 View Post
                                    2006-2010: Undergrad at Indiana State University in Elementary Education.

2010-present: 2nd grade teacher in Columbia City, Indiana.

I'm about to start back this winter on my Masters in Education. Following that comes Masters in Educational Leadership. I know I at least want to go that far with it, to be able to become a Principal. I don't know how much more schooling I'll want to go through at 28/29 when I get my principal's credentials, but if I can swing it I think I'd like to get my PhD in Education.
                                    Nice, one of my best friends is a teacher and taking classes to eventually be a principal.. It's funny b/c he's a complete maniac on the weekends and the strictest math teacher ever during the week.. Good luck brother and enjoy your summers off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Pham View Post
                                      That sounds like an awesome life, man. Congrats.

I just graduated this May from ND in political science and history. Starting law school at UPenn this fall with hopes of academia afterward.
                                      Poli Sci, eh? You take any classes with John Griffin per chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                        You just jinxed yourself. Here comes success!
                                        Ha, it's totally gonna work.. I did the community college thing for a bit and bounced around job to job for a while.. I will say one thing.. You have to put your resume or face out there as much as you can.. Fill out every state and federal job application you can..

Comment

Poli Sci, eh? You take any classes with John Griffin per chance?
                                          I didn't. I focused the major on international relations and political theory. Did you take a class with him?

Comment

About to enter my junior year of college. I attend Manchester College which is about 35 minutes southwest of Fort Wayne, Indiana. I am majoring in accounting and planning on becoming a CPA and hopefully move to Charleston, SC upon graduating. That will put me kinda far from Notre Dame so hopefully I get a good job where I can fly back a few times a saeson

Comment

You guys have some great jobs. Congrats to all of you.

This is my life in a nut shell:

School (hated it)

Navy (loved it)

DHS (eh)

DOJ (hopefully)
                                              Last edited by NDFan4Life; 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I didn't. I focused the major on international relations and political theory. Did you take a class with him?
                                                Yeah I took two with him. American Congress and Strategy in Society. Two of the three best classes I took at ND.

Penn for law school... pretty damn impressive my friend. Hope you still have time to run the site between all of the suing and being sued ;)

Comment

Okay. Here we go.

I just graduated from Muncie Central High School (class of 2011).

I'm part of Ball State's "Connect Program" this coming fall. I will take all my freshman courses at Ivy Tech and then be automatically transferred to Ball State University (after maintaining a 2.0 or above).

This fall I will also be coaching one of our city's youth football teams. I'll be head coaching my former elementary school. :) Even though it's really 5-6th graders. I had planned to work with the my high school, but the opportunity to head coach right away is too enticing.

At BSU, I had originally planned to major in Excercise Science, but now I'm not so set on it. I want to do something sports related though, or whatever will set me up for my career goal of being a football coach at a college.
                                                  "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

PROUD member of the '08 ND Transfer class (half as smart, twice as fun)
                                                    '11 ND Undergrad (B.A. in Economics)

Starting J.D./M.B.A program at Loyola Chicago this Fall.

Comment

Yeah I took two with him. American Congress and Strategy in Society. Two of the three best classes I took at ND.

Penn for law school... pretty damn impressive my friend. Hope you still have time to run the site between all of the suing and being sued ;)
                                                      I've heard nothing but good things about him. So many awesome profs and so many awesome classes at Notre Dame. I took a fifth year just to fit more things in. If money and time weren't a thing, I'd be there awhile. What was your third best class?

I'm stoked for Penn. Was gonna live with another Domer actually until he got off the Harvard waitlist and jumped ship. I figure if I can keep this forum floating with all the characters we've got running around, I can probably handle law school. Haha

Comment

I've heard nothing but good things about him. So many awesome profs and so many awesome classes at Notre Dame. I took a fifth year just to fit more things in. If money and time weren't a thing, I'd be there awhile. What was your third best class?

I'm stoked for Penn. Was gonna live with another Domer actually until he got off the Harvard waitlist and jumped ship. I figure if I can keep this forum floating with all the characters we've got running around, I can probably handle law school. Haha
                                                        Glad to help. :)
                                                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Great stories guys!

Denied to ND (knew it would happen), denied to UCLA (heartbreaker), accepted to USC, but couldn't bring myself to go there. Decided to save money and got to a state school. Was a year away from graduating from their business school when I had an epiphany in an accounting one day, where I realized I loved working with kids, it was what I was good at, and it was where my hear was. I got up and left the class and switched majors right then and there. I was a little bit depressed b/c I knew it would take me 2 and 1/2 yrs to graduate/student teach, and I knew I was taking a vow of poverty, but I got some great advice from some important people, and I haven't looked back.

So I've been teaching at a GREAT Catholic school for the past 10 yrs (3 yrs 3rd grade, 5 yrs 5th, 2 yrs middle school), and coaching at various levels (from as young as 5th grade all the way to h.s.). My favorite coaching moment was taking my h.s. girls basketball team to the CIF Southern California Championship game (the furthest in the school's history), where we fell by 2 points and I still to this day wish I had done a couple things differently so those girls could have celebrated a championship on that Long Beach State floor. :banghead2

All in all, despite our vows of poverty LOL, my wife and I both love our jobs and are very happy. And with the housing market crashing, even bought a house (which I thought would be impossible). It's a good life.
                                                          sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Wow! Ya'll are very impressive!! It's fun to hear what different people do!

I'm graduating from ND this year with a degree in Civil Engineering (concentrating on the structural side). And I'll be in the Navy for at least five years afterwards, serving on submarines (I'm prepared for the jokes this is gonna lead to...).

Who knows what will happen next? Hopefully if the construction market is better by then, I may land a job or do some grad school - we'll see!

Comment

Wildman congrats on the new job!

Wow! Everyone has great stories and jobs.

Let's see I graduated from UCONN in December 2006...Since then I've been doing IT hardware work...Currently I'm the "Systems Engineer" (really a Systems Administrator) at an Energy & Procurement Consulting Company. I'm starting to learn some programming languages such as SQL and VB. I'm getting pretty good a SQL.

In the future I would like a job where I'm a developer, report builder and DBA on SQL systems, but I would also like to maintain some input on the network systems i.e. deskgtops, laptops, servers, routers, firewalls, etc.

BTW NDfansouthwest you are the man! You are one smart dude doing what you do. You got give me some inside information about new chips at Intel ;)
                                                              Last edited by Sherm Sticky; 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I bailed hay for two years.

Was a walmart employee for a year.

Went through a 5 year apprenticeship and have been a licenced electrician for 2 years now.

Just took a course and am now also a certified Daktronic sign technician.

Comment

Started in So Cal and haven't been able to escape yet...

Paid for some of college by bar tending, worked produce at a local grocery store, laid carpet, worked construction and delivered pizzas for Papa John's... finally got a degree from La Verne... have taught at the public school level, just recently started with teaching at the college level so we will see how that goes...

long term goal would be to get on at a University in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, somewhere in that region and get the heck out of Caliofrnia...
                                                                  Last edited by ACamp1900; 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM.
                                                                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Went to Nichols College in Dudley Ma. graduated in '88. Interviewed w a small retail company during finals week, started work 3 days after graduation. I concenetrated in Business Management, sky was limit. At the time the company had 12 stores and I started as a Manager Trainee! Fast forward 23 years and we have 190 stores (203 by years end) and I'm in Director of Operations and Distribution, (also overseeing I/S, I/T and new store construction). We're going gang buster w growth now looking to open 25-30 stores/yr. Great Company, great single family ownership. In 2 years I will get the Rolex for 25 years, in 7 years, the 30 day sabaticcal which I can't wait to plan out. Currently contemplating the fall trip for USC w wife and step daughter or the '12 trip to Dublin for the opener against Navy. Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Gaduated high school in nor Cal. Joined the Navy. Was in boot camp when 9/11 happened. When through the Nuclear power program, and am currently serving on board my second Submarine.

Comment

Went to HS a mile from ND, had no delusions about going to ND. I went to Purdue (sorry), and later transferred to IU in South Bend. Graduated with a somewhat worthless BS in Criminal Justice. Worked various jobs in the beverage industry, currently working as a top sales consultant with the largest wine and spirits wholesaler in the nation (~9 Billion last year) . Drink up!
                                                                        Last edited by Junkhead; 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM.
                                                                        2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Congrats Brother!
                                                                          Love hearing what everyone does, it's nice to learn more about everyone. As for me I played college soccer for a small NAIA school (Palm Beach Atlantic) and then for 1 year at The University of Central Florida where I had a second knee surgery and decided to hang up my cleats. I then got a job joined a fraternity and partied my way thru college. I'm currently a consultant for a fuel/Shell Oil distributor in Florida.

Comment

Interesting stuff from everybody! Currently in my 2nd year at Walsh University, majoring in accounting. Just going to go with the flow now and see what happens in the future with grad school or employment and what-not.

Comment

• #39

First off, Congrats man!Nice work!

Technically for me I am about a 7th year junior in college right now.(26)
                                                                              I started off in 2003 at Western Kentucky University and wasn't focused.I had no clue what I wanted to do, and never went to class.I basically screwed myself for 2 1/2 years there.
                                                                              Took some time off to figure out what I wanted to do.
                                                                              Spent the last 2 years at a community college in Knoxville to boost my GPA so I could transfer to a respectable school.
                                                                              Was just accepted into Miami University (Ohio) to finish up my major in Sports Management. My ultimate goal is to become an Athletic Director at a major university...if not, I'd like to work for a professional sports team or the PGA Tour.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Columbus born and raised...and yes, that gives me a certain affinity for the Bucks, but never above Notre Dame.
                                                                                Wanted to go to Caltech or Pton but won the Joyce Scholarship to ND so that kind of set my course. Knew nothing about football but came for the academics and learned to love football on the side. Graduated in 2010 with a degree in physics, concentration in applied physics (mechanical/aero), and a minor in Chinese. Currently pursuing my PhD at the University of Minnesota in chemical engineering. I'm working on ways to renewably produce things we'd ordinarily get using oil, some messy chemistry, and a lot of nasty stuff going into the atmosphere/water supply. Gooooo Irish beeaaattttt dependence on the Middle East

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I'm young but still trying to live my dream.

Going to Mercyhurst College this fall duel majoring in finance/marketing.
                                                                                  Hoping to transfer to ND, Northwestern, Pitt, or Cornell in the next two years.
                                                                                  From there, possibly grad school (my dream would be Wharton School of Business at UPENN).
                                                                                  My dream job would be an ivestment banker, hedge fund manager, or work as an entrepreneur.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I work for a beer distributorship stock beer i do it all. Still in college and going hard at the degree. My goal is to take my dads spot and run the show.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                                                                      I work for a beer distributorship stock beer i do it all. Still in college and going hard at the degree. My goal is to take my dads spot and run the show.
                                                                                      So your dad owns the distributor?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I did not graduate high school. I actually quit February of my senior year. I was a bit depressed at the time due to a break up (Gay I know) and the only real reason I went to school was for the ex-hott *** girlfriend. I was as wild as a buck deer on cocaine... LOL.

Started off working in construction, then got a sweet job as a machine setup at the age of 19 with American Greetings (you know the christmas/birthday card company). I was 19 working 3rd shift and making $17.42 an hour. The factory closed down and all that ended.

I went from there to an electrical lineman school in Trenton GA. and graduated at the top of the class. I started working with a line contractor called Pike and my wife had just had our first son. Soon afterward I realized that everytime an icicle formed or the wind blew hard I was going to be away from my family so I started to look at other opportunities.

Due to good luck I had a friend that wanted to start a small IT company and asked what I thought about it. I ended up going to an accelerated program in Tampa Florida and earning my first two IT certifications. CompTia A+ and Net+.

After 3 years of that and another child later I decided I needed to make a little more cash flow so I am now a sales executive with one of the leading IT firms in Nashville TN.

For the past 3 semesters I have been attending Vol-State Community College (mostly online courses) to pursue my education degree. I'm not going full time but holding at a steady 9 hours a semester but it will take some time. After completing Vol-State I will transfer to Western KY University to finish my degree.

My wife is a high school teacher here in TN and with the importance that I put on family, it will be a great fit for us to ensure that we get to spend plenty of time with our soon to be 3 kids.
                                                                                        Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. It’s my job to make sure we become that family.”

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                          So your dad owns the distributor?
                                                                                          GM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Currently an undergrad in the Business program at SUNY Binghamton University in upstate NY (Im sure you guys have seen us on ESPN because of our basketball program scandal). I would like to eventually do something in sports, however I am not sure how I plan on doing so. Might decide to attend grad school for Sports Adminisration...who knows. Also played baseball in junior college before transferring to Binghamton.
                                                                                            Last edited by NYIrish14; 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                                                                              GM.
                                                                                              Very cool.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by goldandblue View Post
                                                                                                I did not graduate high school. I actually quit February of my senior year. I was a bit depressed at the time due to a break up (Gay I know) and the only real reason I went to school was for the ex-hott *** girlfriend. I was as wild as a buck deer on cocaine... LOL.

Started off working in construction, then got a sweet job as a machine setup at the age of 19 with American Greetings (you know the christmas/birthday card company). I was 19 working 3rd shift and making $17.42 an hour. The factory closed down and all that ended.

I went from there to an electrical lineman school in Trenton GA. and graduated at the top of the class. I started working with a line contractor called Pike and my wife had just had our first son. Soon afterward I realized that everytime an icicle formed or the wind blew hard I was going to be away from my family so I started to look at other opportunities.

Due to good luck I had a friend that wanted to start a small IT company and asked what I thought about it. I ended up going to an accelerated program in Tampa Florida and earning my first two IT certifications. CompTia A+ and Net+.

After 3 years of that and another child later I decided I needed to make a little more cash flow so I am now a sales executive with one of the leading IT firms in Nashville TN.

For the past 3 semesters I have been attending Vol-State Community College (mostly online courses) to pursue my education degree. I'm not going full time but holding at a steady 9 hours a semester but it will take some time. After completing Vol-State I will transfer to Western KY University to finish my degree.

My wife is a high school teacher here in TN and with the importance that I put on family, it will be a great fit for us to ensure that we get to spend plenty of time with our soon to be 3 kids.

WKU is a hell of a school. I went there from 03-06.You'll love it.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  B.S in psychology from University of Evansville. Decided that while I like psychology it wasn't the career for me so I never pursued a graduate degree in it. Somehow I ended up working for a bank and I am now in management. Studying for the GMAT so I can apply to a couple of MBA programs (though nothing as nice as NW or UPENN but still one that is AACSB accredited).

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I just was kicked out of community college and my life is heading south....
                                                                                                    I have invested everything BUT tuition for Notre Dame. I make no apologies.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X