No announcement yet.

Everything Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was the first time Panama has beaten the US. WTG Greg.
    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Bringing in Roldan in the last quarter hour lmao.

Comment

• Awful. Way too much rotation in tonight’s lineup when we’re already without our 2 best players for the window.

That loss is huge because now instead of competing with Mexico for #1, we are firmly in contention with Canada and now Panama for positions 2-3.

For once I’d like to see Berhalter put out an aggressive, attacking lineup. Something like Konrad, Pepi and Weah as forwards, with Aaronson, Musah and Adams in the midfield. Dest and Robinson as fullbacks. Zimmerman and miles Robinson have played well but still would like to see Chris Richards, probably in Robinsons place.
        .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

I know a bunch of Fulham fans because of the US contingent throughout the years.

If I was choosing a team now that wasn't top 4, but had good ownership, ambition, and excitement, I would probably go with Wolverhampton.
          I like Blackpool and Tranmere Rovers. Blackpool are back in The Championship and currently sit 12th.

Tranmere Rovers are currently fifth in League Two resting one point ahead of...Leyton Orient. LOL

The only other Premier League teams I like are Newcastle and Southampton. I see that changing rather shortly.
          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Saudi-Newcastle soccer takeover prompts 'sportswashing' concerns

LONDON — A former shipbuilding city in northeast England may seem an unlikely place for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to rehabilitate his tarnished reputation.

And yet last week, hundreds of Newcastle residents gathered outside the city’s soccer stadium to pay homage to the power behind the Saudi throne — the man widely known as MBS.

Some tied dishtowels to their heads, others waved Saudi flags, and a few even wore masks of the crown prince himself — a world leader accused of a raft of human rights abuses and of ordering the assassination of a prominent journalist.

On a sporting level, these supporters had good reason to cheer. Saudi Arabia’s $400 billion sovereign wealth fund had just bought their long-suffering soccer team, Newcastle United, overnight making it the world’s richest club. But the deal has spurred criticism that Saudi Arabia is using the team, founded in 1892, as a vehicle for “sportswashing.”

In other words, Saudi Arabia is accused of trying to launder its reputation so that it is no longer synonymous with a brutal absolute monarchy that jails activists, carries out public beheadings and oppresses women and the LGBTQ community, and becomes known instead as the smiling face of international soccer success.

Newcastle United supporters wear Gulf-style head dresses in honor of their new owners. Oli Scarff / AFP via Getty Images

“It gives the Saudi authorities an opportunity to put their name, their branding and positive messages about their country around the world,” said Felix Jakens, head of U.K. campaigns at the human rights group Amnesty International.

It’s a familiar playbook. Manchester City is now owned by Abu Dhabi’s royal family and Paris Saint Germain by Qatar's sovereign wealth fund, to name a few. Soccer’s elite is increasingly dominated by faraway regimes with bottomless pockets.

But the Saudi-Newcastle takeover has prompted international outrage on another level.

“This is a country that carries out some of the worst, systematic human rights violations against its own population — and the situation is getting worse, not better,” Jakens said.

The Saudi Ministry of Media did not respond to a request for comment about its human rights record and the allegations of sportswashing.
            ‘Colossal change’

The face of the $400 million deal is a British businesswoman, Amanda Staveley of PCP Capital Partners. Saudi Arabia’s sovereign Public Investment Fund owns 80 percent of the team.

The consortium says the fund is independent from the Saudi government. The Premier League says it has received “legally binding assurances” that this is the case. Many experts disagree, pointing out that the fund’s board is composed of Saudi government ministers and its chairman is MBS himself.

The crown prince has been trying to overhaul the kingdom’s image from being seen as an exporter of Islamic radicalism to a modern powerhouse instead driven by technology, tourism, entertainment, and sports. Accompanying social reforms mean women are now allowed to drive and movie theaters have opened for the first time in 35 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
              Awful. Way too much rotation in tonight’s lineup when we’re already without our 2 best players for the window.

That loss is huge because now instead of competing with Mexico for #1, we are firmly in contention with Canada and now Panama for positions 2-3.

For once I’d like to see Berhalter put out an aggressive, attacking lineup. Something like Konrad, Pepi and Weah as forwards, with Aaronson, Musah and Adams in the midfield. Dest and Robinson as fullbacks. Zimmerman and miles Robinson have played well but still would like to see Chris Richards, probably in Robinsons place.
              He did have an aggressive lineup the previous game. Play felt very different than the first window. I expected that to continue but,….
              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Just got home,… geez,… first minute????
                This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Up 2-1 now over Costa Rica

Comment

• Love Weah

Comment

• Love Musah
                      .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Pepi isn’t there yet and wasn’t active enough. Still like him as the 9 though.

if you didn’t know CR scored in the first minute you’d think that was some of the best soccer they’ve played since they beat Mexico.

I will love Weah as a spark plug. Bring him on in the 55th or 60th minute to run against tired legs.

Dest giveth and Dest taketh. I still think trying him at RW is worth it. Interchange with him and Yedlin would be amazing.

McKennie had a few turnovers but he was picking out some insane passes. Adams was immense as always.

Really important stat from the night: US’s oldest player was younger than Costa Rica’s youngest player. This was a battle of talent but inexperience against a weak but super experienced squad. I think the team took a big step tonight to get 3 points and getting Pulisic and Reyna back will make 3 points against Mexico attainable.
                        Last edited by notredomer23; 10-13-2021, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                          Love Weah
                          Same. Get him to England and into a Premier League side soon.
                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Same. Get him to England and into a Premier League side soon.
                            Rather not have him buried on an premier league roster. In terms of minutes, he’s in the top 11 for the reigning French champions and really starting to develop a rapport with one of the best young strikers in the world…. Man how awesome would it be if New York native, Jonathan David, decided to play for the USMNT???
                            .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• Issue with the US,… first touches,… jeebus, Mary, and all the Saints,… can ANYONE receive the ball without spitting it back five yards??? It’s shocking honestly. Beyond that creativity in the attack,… it’s the same design every damned time and the design they go with is like running streaks every play in football,… mix shit up. I gave GB way more room than most and I’m even getting there, at least on this point,… anyway, that’s my TedTalk for the day.
                              Last edited by ACamp1900; 10-20-2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyirish View Post

Rather not have him buried on an premier league roster. In terms of minutes, he’s in the top 11 for the reigning French champions and really starting to develop a rapport with one of the best young strikers in the world…. Man how awesome would it be if New York native, Jonathan David, decided to play for the USMNT???
                                Who says he'd have to be buried? If he's good, he's going to start in the Premier League.

If not, he'll stay in France.

Comment

• Guessing Simeone ran down the tunnel at full time because he had explosive ass piss.

Good riddance to him and Athletico Madrid. On to Old Trafford, where Anthony Taylor will be referee. Cannot wait.

Comment

• Bruce out at Newcastle, as expected. Paulo Fonseca's name being connected to replacing him.

Man United down 2-0 at half.

Lukaku and Werner both come off injured for Chelsea.

Yikes.

Comment

• I half watched the United game. Poor defending in the first half and they were missing good chances. I'm actually surprised they came back to win. Somehow, they are on top of an easy group. If they keep playing like this, they'll get lit up in the round of 16.

The last time they played Liverpool with questions surrounding a coach, they lost 3-1 and Mourinho was sacked...

Comment

• I figured United would come back and win 3-2. I'm glad they did. I want Ole at the wheel for years to come.

Comment

• Omg

Comment

• Ole gonna have a job by the time he goes to bed tonight?
                                            Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Wow, love it. But the bad thing is Ole will lose the wheel.
                                              Congratulations to Brian Kelly for being Notre Dame's career leader in losses.

Comment

• That pass.......
                                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                  Ole gonna have a job by the time he goes to bed tonight?
                                                  Doesn't look good
                                                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• I have no idea how Ronaldo didn't get red. That was much more criminal than Stevie G stomping Herrera
                                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Worst home defeat in 96 years

Comment

• Was hoping someone was gonna raise the “6” like Torres gave the 5. Didn’t see it.

Comment

• A Man United manager and squad that are nothing but frauds, whose sole accomplishment today was getting a player taken off on a stretcher. Pogba didn't even seem bothered.

Liverpool need to get healthy in the midfield. More injuries today.

Salah is locked in. My word.

Comment

• In Serie A, both Mourinho and Spalletti sent off in the Roma v Napoli match.

Two managers, both gone.

Mourinho seems to be trying to get fired even faster this time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                                                              I have no idea how Ronaldo didn't get red. That was much more criminal than Stevie G stomping Herrera
                                                              Anthony Taylor was the referee. He's from Manchester.

There should have been four reds today. Taylor gave none. VAR gave one.

Comment

A Man United manager and squad that are nothing but frauds, whose sole accomplishment today was getting a player taken off on a stretcher. Pogba didn't even seem bothered.

Liverpool need to get healthy in the midfield. More injuries today.

Salah is locked in. My word.
                                                                Kind of surprised that Ole is still at the wheel. There was literally nothing good about that game, the defense was horrible, has been since Euros. The midfield has always been rough. The forwards couldn't do anything. Pogba deserved a red, Ronaldo probably should have had one too. Not sure about the other two, I left the TV because I couldn't stomach to watch anymore of that shit.

Zidane, Conte, Loew perhaps? Give me someone else. This game was obvious that United has individual talent, but not cohesive talent. Liverpool played as a team and destroyed us. Not to say they are without individual talent, because every level has a world class player, but it was obvious they are team first. It shouldn't have gotten that bad in the first place, but there is no need to lose tempers and start attempting (and succeeding in some cases) in injuring the other team.

Comment

• Man United paid all that money for Sancho and he hardly ever plays? Why bring him in and Ronaldo when they needed midfielders. Signing Declan Rice and Kalvin Phillips seemed like smart business to go after. They could have gotten it done. To English guys at Man United? Banks and schools would have closed.

I am going to enjoy this Liverpool side as much as I possible can. This all probably goes to shit when Klopp leaves and the club is worth so much now that the only people who can probably afford to buy it next are either from China or Saudi Arabia. We had to sit through Tom Hicks and Roy Hogsdon. I take none of what I'm seeing for granted.

Comment

Man United paid all that money for Sancho and he hardly ever plays? Why bring him in and Ronaldo when they needed midfielders. Signing Declan Rice and Kalvin Phillips seemed like smart business to go after. They could have gotten it done. To English guys at Man United? Banks and schools would have closed.

I am going to enjoy this Liverpool side as much as I possible can. This all probably goes to shit when Klopp leaves and the club is worth so much now that the only people who can probably afford to buy it next are either from China or Saudi Arabia. We had to sit through Tom Hicks and Roy Hogsdon. I take none of what I'm seeing for granted.
                                                                    Exactly. There were bigger needs than Sancho or Ronaldo. There was, reportedly, mutual interest in Rice. Reportedly interest in Neves at the end of the window. Any help would have been huge. Instead I'm sitting here watching McFred give the ball away too easily.

Liverpool is a fun team to watch, I'd rather them win the PL than just about anyone else at this point (of those who have a shot). Salah might just break the bank, but he's showing he's worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post

Exactly. There were bigger needs than Sancho or Ronaldo. There was, reportedly, mutual interest in Rice. Reportedly interest in Neves at the end of the window. Any help would have been huge. Instead I'm sitting here watching McFred give the ball away too easily.

Liverpool is a fun team to watch, I'd rather them win the PL than just about anyone else at this point (of those who have a shot). Salah might just break the bank, but he's showing he's worth it.
                                                                      The Sancho deal should have been done at the start of Ole's tenure. However good Ronaldo is or was, his presence in that boot room was going to go one of two ways. Ole refuses to sub him off and I've seen matches where DeGea covers more ground. There need to be front office changes before anything can move forward, and that is frustrating.

Liverpool need to get a deal done soon with Salah. The price is going up every week. I'd rather they invest in him than worry about transfers. He'll play well into his thirties.

The Brentford, City and Athletico matches worry me that Liverpool are prone to giving up goals. That won't bode well in the title race against Chelski and Citah, who are both very good defensively. Having dropped points at home to both doesn't bode well down the line. The battle for 4th should be something.

Comment

• It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Naby Keita injury not serious. Ole still at the wheel.

Good morning, Tuesday.

Comment

• Good news about Keita, happy to hear that.

A lot of people are thinking that they are going to give him the next three games in the PL, knowing they won't go undefeated, and make the change at the international break (this would give them time to work out the deal with whoever they go after). A lot of signs are pointing to Conte, I've seen Zidane's name get thrown in (probably waiting for France job). I've also seen Brendan Rodgers and even Ten Hag, but I highly doubt either of those two leave mid year.

Comment

Good news about Keita, happy to hear that.

A lot of people are thinking that they are going to give him the next three games in the PL, knowing they won't go undefeated, and make the change at the international break (this would give them time to work out the deal with whoever they go after). A lot of signs are pointing to Conte, I've seen Zidane's name get thrown in (probably waiting for France job). I've also seen Brendan Rodgers and even Ten Hag, but I highly doubt either of those two leave mid year.
                                                                              It was Keita's best game in the shirt.

Conte is too much like Mourinho for me. I think their board feels the same. He supposedly wants the job if offered.

If LVG, Moyes or Mourinho loses 5-0 at OT to Liverpool, they're all sacked. Ole is a former player and there seems to be a great deal of sentiment for him. I saw tPahis with Kenny Dalglish the second time around and it is my biggest fear with Gerrard should he ever come back to manage LFC.

I watched the game again yesterday. Man United are clueless. They don't know how to press, they don't know when to drop, Ole at the Wheel stands there and looks like he has no idea what is going on. Firmino and Keita absolutely carved them apart. That back four looked like four guys who had never met before just showing up at a park to have a fuck about for a couple of hours. Paul Scholes called it after the Atalanta match earlier in the week. He said Jurgen probably watched that and was rubbing his hands together waiting for Sunday.

I can't think of a better away victory. Ever.

Comment

It was Keita's best game in the shirt.

Conte is too much like Mourinho for me. I think their board feels the same. He supposedly wants the job if offered.

If LVG, Moyes or Mourinho loses 5-0 at OT to Liverpool, they're all sacked. Ole is a former player and there seems to be a great deal of sentiment for him. I saw tPahis with Kenny Dalglish the second time around and it is my biggest fear with Gerrard should he ever come back to manage LFC.

I watched the game again yesterday. Man United are clueless. They don't know how to press, they don't know when to drop, Ole at the Wheel stands there and looks like he has no idea what is going on. Firmino and Keita absolutely carved them apart. That back four looked like four guys who had never met before just showing up at a park to have a fuck about for a couple of hours. Paul Scholes called it after the Atalanta match earlier in the week. He said Jurgen probably watched that and was rubbing his hands together waiting for Sunday.

I can't think of a better away victory. Ever.
                                                                                Yeah, I would rather not see Conte. He has baggage and an ego. Apparently he wants full say over transfers. Zidane is a pipe dream. Rodgers would be interesting, but LC would be stupid to let him go. I don't know much about Ten Hag, but Ajax is such a well run organization that it might be a little bit exciting. Not sure who else is out there. I've seen Loew, but I think the chances of that happening are less than the above four combined.

Lucky for the league United might be stuck with Ole for the rest of the year. He's like James Franklin. The talent is there, but can't manage a game to save his life.

Comment

Yeah, I would rather not see Conte. He has baggage and an ego. Apparently he wants full say over transfers. Zidane is a pipe dream. Rodgers would be interesting, but LC would be stupid to let him go. I don't know much about Ten Hag, but Ajax is such a well run organization that it might be a little bit exciting. Not sure who else is out there. I've seen Loew, but I think the chances of that happening are less than the above four combined.

Lucky for the league United might be stuck with Ole for the rest of the year. He's like James Franklin. The talent is there, but can't manage a game to save his life.
                                                                                  They should have spent the Sancho and Ronaldo money on Rice and Phillips. Even with that, I don't think they're being coached, but they should have gone for the need. The need was midfield.

I have always maintained that I'd prefer Messi to Ronaldo because Messi is way less selfish. I don't think there is any question about that now. Ronaldo is a poacher now, and maybe even a really good one, but his presence at United is going to hold them back. Top four could be a real battle for them now.

ten Hag could have his options. I am not sure if I'd take Barca or United if I were him. I'd probably run to the prince at Newcastle.

Comment

• Germans are fucking savages. lmao

Comment

• Supremely talented player isn't getting games, coaching and has walked into a complete shit show. Wouldn't say it's entirely on Sancho.

Carli Lloyd had a hell of a run.

Comment

• Mighty West Ham, led by football genius David Moyes, have ended Citah’s League Cup reign of dominance. Converted all 5 PK.

West Ham seem legit

Comment

• Scottish race just got a whole lot more interesting,... would have been even more so if not for a timely horrid penalty call for Rangers. It's unreal how out in the open it is... a bunch of top officials in Scotland are former gers players of are seen in rangers pubs sporting gers tops and,.. nothing done. Then any time gers are down in key games here comes a red or a penalty that shouldn't even have been a foul to begin with... if you all get a sight of today's penalty call... get ready for a good laugh

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Comment

• Koeman is out

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                              Koeman is out
                                                                                              Xavi is in.

Man United takes note that Barca fired a former player and hired....a former player.

Comment

Xavi is in.

Man United takes note that Barca fired a former player and hired....a former player.
                                                                                                Give me Van der Saar! lol

Comment

• Borussia Mochengladbach 5

Bayern Munich 0

German Cup. Bayern fielded a good side.

Comment

Borussia Mochengladbach 5

Bayern Munich 0

German Cup. Bayern fielded a good side.
                                                                                                    Saw that, ending an 85 game scoring streak. Insane.

It's nice to see Bayern struggle for a game lol

Comment

• It's official, Antonio Conte to Spurs.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X