Everything Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing him play in the midfield. Would his skill set translate well up there?
    I thought about this after seeing an article on ESPN about it. It would be interesting to see a back three of Chilwell, Maguire, Stones, and Walker, with TAA lined up in front of Walker (looking at their lineup for Poland, he would take Kalvin Phillips spot). I think with him and Walker in the squad, if Southgate needs his defense to stay back he'll go with Walker, but if he wants to open it up, he has to go with TAA.

Comment

• I totally think a 353 or 3521 could work for England with TAA being a winger with some defesnive responsibilites.
      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing him play in the midfield. Would his skill set translate well up there?
        I have always thought he would be a great winger or wide mf. At least a major threat from the wing with his crossing ability. It ultimately doesnt matter. He can play wherever along the width of the pitch but whoever the coach is just has to account for his vacated space by other means. Usualy a deeper midfielder to provide cover to CBs is how Klopp has managed it./ Im thinking that is giving GS pause on setting up his team to go to Euros and WCQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
          I totally think a 353 or 3521 could work for England with TAA being a winger with some defesnive responsibilites.
          I was leaning towards the 353 so you can get some more of the offensive firepower in there. At least that way you can have three up top and up to two in the mid who can be offensively minded. Make sure Rice stays in that CDM spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
            I would give Sadio Mane and Bobby Firmino a month off this summer. Let them chill with their families, whatever. Just let them be for about 3-4 weeks to rest up.

Trent gets shit from people outside of the club and outside of the club's fanbase when he struggles, but when he's brilliant, hardly a word about it. Especially defensively. What did Vinicius do yesterday? Absolutely nothing. Rendered useless. Trent on the attack was excellent too. Nobody could finish anything. Trent did his part. He's also 20 years old still.

So take Kyle Walker to the Euros then and see how that goes.
            Firminho will be playing Copa America for Brasil into late June and then WC qualifiers in early Sept. no rest for him
            What did Davonte do?

Comment

Right now, under Jurgen Klopp, no.

Back in 2018 he played a handful of matches at right mid for England during international duty. Apart from a handful of club matches where he played in the midfield, typically early in his career as a sub, he's a right back. He's THE right back.

Alas, if Southgate wants to take the Manchester duo with him instead, this is completely his right as manager of England. It's actually my preference that he does. Let these guys rest this summer if at all possible.
              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

Firminho will be playing Copa America for Brasil into late June and then WC qualifiers in early Sept. no rest for him
                Unless my understanding of how a calendar works is suddenly off in these strange and confusing times we live in, that still leaves him some time to go on holiday in there before the real season starts in August.

Wherever he can get the time, the club needs to give it to him. And Sadio.

Then go buy a proper striker this summer to relieve him.
                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Unless my understanding of how a calendar works is suddenly off in these strange and confusing times we live in, that still leaves him some time to go on holiday in there before the real season starts in August.

Wherever he can get the time, the club needs to give it to him. And Sadio.

Then go buy a proper striker this summer to relieve him.
                  lol most EPL teams return to preseason 1st week of July. I would say thought considering the Copa they will give him 2 weeks leave
                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

lol most EPL teams return to preseason 1st week of July. I would say thought considering the Copa they will give him 2 weeks leave
                    They both need it. Firmino especially. He's logged an incredible amount of minutes for Klopp in the last few seasons.

Looking forward to this soul sucking season being over with. Fans back in the grounds in August, hopefully.

Comment

They both need it. Firmino especially. He's logged an incredible amount of minutes for Klopp in the last few seasons.

Looking forward to this soul sucking season being over with. Fans back in the grounds in August, hopefully.
                      They’ll be back for the last weekend this year as well, I believe 10K max

Comment

• Saw where five EPL teams joint a total of 11 European teams to make a Super league.

Comment

Saw where five EPL teams joint a total of 11 European teams to make a Super league.
                          Not a fan but also not a fan of the UCL continuing to expand.

Comment

Saw where five EPL teams joint a total of 11 European teams to make a Super league.
                            a lot has happened I guess since this report came to light. Sounds like the Bundesliga, PSG, and Man City will not be taking part. Additionally looks like UEFA will ban these clubs from UCL starting 2021-2022.

good thread and info in NY Times on it all

Comment

• All the talk about oil money ruining the game. Seems more like the American owners are the real villains. Trying to turn it into the NFL.
                              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Billionaire bullshit. Repulsive. I hope this never happens. People need to stand up and say no.

I’ll find another club to support if I have to.

The Premier League was the start of it. Can’t say I’m surprised at this. Greed beyond greed.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

Not a fan but also not a fan of the UCL continuing to expand.
                                  It’s a bad idea. Even with a current final 4 consisted of Real Madrid, two oil giants and a Russian oligarch’s play toy.

Again, what did people expect? The game has become too distant from real fans for decades now. Old money and new money is still big money.

It’s very grim and it’s a terrible shame, but this has been building for a long time and the pandemic has accelerated these greedy assholes into acting now.

Comment

• very disappointing. The other 3 teams being Bayern, BVB, and PSG. Gonna be an interesting couple days to see how this plays out.

Comment

• 4 of the founding 12 members of the Super League have never won the European Cup.

Mind boggling Champions League isn’t exclusive enough.

Comment

4 of the founding 12 members of the Super League have never won the European Cup.

Mind boggling Champions League isn’t exclusive enough.
                                        I think you can make an argument for every team on the list outside of Tottenham. 2007 EFL Cup Trophy is about the top of their accolades from the last 60 years.

Comment

I think you can make an argument for every team on the list outside of Tottenham. 2007 EFL Cup Trophy is about the top of their accolades from the last 60 years.
                                          It’s bullshit. Billionaires acting in their own self interests. Financially strapped Spain and Italy clubs with American owned clubs leading the way.

They’re pulling this because there are no fans in the stands. Liverpool, United and City supporters would not take this. There would be protests in the grounds.

it’s been building for decades. The Premier League itself is a pyramid scheme. They’ll act on their own behalf too with the FA and Sky Sports.

Get Financial Fair Play back on the table FOR REAL and fix VAR. Start there.

Comment

• If it actually happens AFTV is gonna be electric after Arsenal loses their tenth match in a row

Comment

• I think relegating the bottom 5 Super League teams and adding in the champions from the Big 5 leagues makes it much, much, much more palatable. If they don't do this, and effectively shut everyone else out, it's a huge mistake. I hate this but this is the only saving grace.

EDIT: I've read they may not allow relegation for the top 15 "founding" teams which is not good.

I'm guessing national leagues will cave and FIFA will back off their potential ban on players in the Super League. Way too much money is involved. The Premier League TV money would shrink by 80% overnight if they banned all 6 teams. And if the ESL does 5-team relegation, won't the leagues have to welcome those teams back?

In England, the FA Cup and League Cup would be devalued but maybe not too much. The race for top 4 would be gone and turn into the race for the top team not currently in the ESL which is very different and honestly super weird. There could be a race to finish 6th in the EPL in order to get into the Super League the following year.

This really crushes the Champions League and Europa League. If ESL teams aren't eligible and this goes into effect next year, based on the current table the following clubs would be in the Champions League from England and Spain:

Leicester
                                              West Ham
                                              Everton
                                              Leeds
                                              Sevilla
                                              Villarreal
                                              Real Betis
                                              Real Sociedad

No Bayern, BVB, PSG, Lyon, Inter, AC Milan, Juve, or Roma and that is a super dark tournament for the Champions League. They'd have to wait a year until 'good' clubs get relegated and hope that something like Tottenham, AC Milan, BVB, Arsenal, and Roma go deep in the UCL so there isn't a final sometimes with Celta Vigo and Stuttgart, or something similarly ridiculous.

The Europa League would be the soccer equivalent of college basketball's CBI tourney.
                                              Last edited by Rocket89; 04-18-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Jose has been canned.

IMO it was only a matter of time for the SuperLeague. Under the current climate with COVId losses and tv deals there is no way teams can afford to purchase the best players.

I think this format will be heading to college football too. Maybe not soon but soon enough.

Comment

• These guys are serious too. I’m reading that all the teams involved have left their committees in UEFA and other related orgs.

Ill be honest... with all the corruption in FIFA and UEFA I’m not surprised by these moves at all. Look at how many games teams have played this year in domestic and European cups. And they want to expand the CL tournament? There is hardly any space in the calendar for any more games. Squad depth and quality is a issue so only those that can afford the depth will survive the war of attrition. Teams are losing money on new tv deals. No real idea when the countries will allow fans back in the stands.

I don’t agree but I’m trying to understand the nuances here. The clubs very well could go under without significant financial underpinning.
                                                  Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 04-19-2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

very disappointing. The other 3 teams being Bayern, BVB, and PSG. Gonna be an interesting couple days to see how this plays out.
                                                    I think Lyon may be in there as well

Comment

These guys are serious too. I’m reading that all the teams involved have left their committees in UEFA and other related orgs.

Ill be honest... with all the corruption in FIFA and UEFA I’m not surprised by these moves at all. Look at how many games teams have played this year in domestic and European cups. And they want to expand the CL tournament? There is hardly any space in the calendar for any more games. Squad depth and quality is a issue so only those that can afford the depth will survive the war of attrition. Teams are losing money on new tv deals. No real idea when the countries will allow fans back in the stands.

I don’t agree but I’m trying to understand the nuances here. The clubs very well could go under without significant financial underpinning.
                                                      UEFA already unveiled a new Champions League with 10(!) group stage games instead of 6 before advancing to the knockout stages. Already looking to make up their money.

Bayern and BVB are out of the Super League, as of this morning.

Comment

• I guess another 1 of the expected remaining 3 is Porto.

Comment

• Comment

• Would Celtic or Rangers join? :)

Comment

I have a feeling we are gonna see a lot of toothless threats being lobbed about.

Comment

It’s bullshit. Billionaires acting in their own self interests. Financially strapped Spain and Italy clubs with American owned clubs leading the way.

They’re pulling this because there are no fans in the stands. Liverpool, United and City supporters would not take this. There would be protests in the grounds.

it’s been building for decades. The Premier League itself is a pyramid scheme. They’ll act on their own behalf too with the FA and Sky Sports.

Get Financial Fair Play back on the table FOR REAL and fix VAR. Start there.
                                                                I don't know if that will help. Seems like FFP is there to keep teams like City and PSG from joining the big boys. This Super League seems to be spurned on by teams like United and Liverpool who are in deep debt and want/need a guaranteed revenue stream coming in. No worry about having to finish top 4 to get this money. Makes sense when you own one of those clubs that you want to chase the guaranteed money.
                                                                "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Screw this Super League. Trying to turn football into the NFL. I love American sports (obviously), but getting into soccer and getting to understand the way they work has been fascinating. I love relegation and promotion. You can't just tank for a better draft pick. You can't just get by as a bad team and collect a check. Constant improvement needs to happen, or there are consequences. This announcement, as an Arsenal fan, has me really sick to my stomach about the way Kroenke has been approaching our club the last few years. What the fuck does it matter where we finish in the EPL if we are guaranteed a spot in this heartless "league" getting millions upon millions each year.

#KroenkeOUT

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post

I don't know if that will help. Seems like FFP is there to keep teams like City and PSG from joining the big boys. This Super League seems to be spurned on by teams like United and Liverpool who are in deep debt and want/need a guaranteed revenue stream coming in. No worry about having to finish top 4 to get this money. Makes sense when you own one of those clubs that you want to chase the guaranteed money.
                                                                    Livperool isn't in dire debt, though. The financial numbers they posted in 2019 were very strong. They're owned by Americans who are acting in their own self interests. Can't speak for United as far as their debt, but same when it comes to their owners.

Juve, Real and Barca are having the money problems right now. Juve is also in fourth in Serie A. You see where Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal are in the standings. It's no surprise what these owners are trying to do.

City, PSG and Chelsea already are big boys. City and Chelsea don't have the history of Liverpool, United and Arsenal but they are very much a major piece of the present and future as opposed to the past, and the past really doesn't mean much of anything at this moment in time.

Comment

• Comment

• There is a lot more to this than just a money grab

Comment

So UEFA's money grab good.

Elite 12 soccer teams money grab bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

Both bad, plus the SL is a way for teams to just generate revenue with no consequences to the product on the field. It's very American sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post

Both bad, plus the SL is a way for teams to just generate revenue with no consequences to the product on the field. It's very American sports.
                                                                              I agree, but I want to see the dust settle. Hopefully this is just a game of chicken.

Comment

Both bad IMO. No one needs to see Man City play Royal Antwerp because they finished second in Belgium. I don't want to see 11th place Arsenal in the UCL just because they have "elite" status. The league should actually mean something. I am actually pro-removing the group stage, that sounds like a good reform having it as a 1 league style.

Originally posted by TNUtoNotreDame View Post

Hopefully this is just a game of chicken.
                                                                                This.

Comment

Both bad IMO. No one needs to see Man City play Royal Antwerp because they finished second in Belgium. I don't want to see 11th place Arsenal in the UCL just because they have "elite" status. The league should actually mean something. I am actually pro-removing the group stage, that sounds like a good reform having it as a 1 league style.

This.
                                                                                  This is the circular nature of the current setup. Arsenal and other loses out on a ton of money by not being in the CL. They then can’t reinforce or improve their squads. The UCL is catering to them by allowing special seedlings and expanded fixture lists. Ultimately this still stresses the player pool with all the games the top tier players are required to play.

Comment

This is the circular nature of the current setup. Arsenal and other loses out on a ton of money by not being in the CL. They then can’t reinforce or improve their squads. The UCL is catering to them by allowing special seedlings and expanded fixture lists. Ultimately this still stresses the player pool with all the games the top tier players are required to play.
                                                                                    Meanwhile Kroenke made $300 million within the first months of the pandemic. But he asked players to take a 12.5% pay cut, laid off a bunch of employees of the club, built a billion dollar stadium in LA, and more. But he "can't" invest money into the club to bring them back into the CL. Instead, just broker a deal that provides a bullshit way for the club that I adore to generate revenue that's been missing for 4 years because you won't actually attempt to make the product better.

Comment

• The Premier League, UEFA, the FA, Sky Sports...none of them want this because they all hatched their own pyramid schemes years ago. This fucks them over, so of course Rupert Murdoch and all the folks at Sky Sports don't want this. You think any of them care about the fans? UEFA? The FA?

This is all bullshit. More billionaires acting on their own behalf looking for sympathy because they don't have enough money. I don't hate the clubs, managers, players. This is strictly owners of big clubs doing something to get more power either way. In the end, either one group of billionaire owners will beat the billionaires at Sky, or they'll all win together and things will go on.

It's shambles. Can't wait to hear Klopp speak on this, and I honestly wonder how much longer he's going to be Liverpool manager if this League ends up happening somehow.

Comment

I agree, but I want to see the dust settle. Hopefully this is just a game of chicken.
                                                                                        Most likely it is, but don't think for a moment that this won't come back down the road again. Aresene Wenger talked about it as far back as 2009. This has been in the works for some time now.

Comment

• Some things to keep in mind:

UEFA failed with Financial Fair Play and have toyed with the idea of a Super League in the past.

FIFA have tried to expand the World Cup for years and sold World Cups to Russia and Qatar.

BT and Sky Sports will gladly charge people in England $15 to watch Brighton play Fulham.

None of these entities are heroes by any stretch and while they are going to rail on this Super League, they're doing it out of their own self preservation and not for the benefit of fans or supporters.

Comment

• https://arseblog.com/2021/04/arsenal...e-involvement/

Great article from a great fan run blog and podcast. This is how fans feel.

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                            Some things to keep in mind:

UEFA failed with Financial Fair Play and have toyed with the idea of a Super League in the past.

FIFA have tried to expand the World Cup for years and sold World Cups to Russia and Qatar.

BT and Sky Sports will gladly charge people in England $15 to watch Brighton play Fulham.

None of these entities are heroes by any stretch and while they are going to rail on this Super League, they're doing it out of their own self preservation and not for the benefit of fans or supporters.
                                                                                            You are absolutely right. This is very much an enemy of my enemy is my friend thing. But that doesn't mean FIFA, UEFA, Sky Sports, BT, and even the FA are in this fight for the same reason as us.

Comment

• Of course, why not pull this shit when there are no fans in the stands?

Can't speak for London, but I'm certain this is going to be protested by Liverpool supporters along with the two Manchester clubs' supporters as well.

Comment

• Comment

• Good. Break 'em off something proper.

Comment

• Jurgen Klopp, as expected, was transparent and said what needed to be said.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Rogue219; 04-19-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X