All things general college basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things general college basketball

Didn't see an obvious thread to post in about the tourney this year, so just creating a catch-all CBB thread.
    Mods, if there is a thread already, please collapse...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good games tonight. Sucks ND is out of both men's and women's.

Sampson's boys doing well. Looking forward to Ark and Baylor too. While I think Baylor will win, I think Ark will push them.

Women's is great so far too. Mulkey's crew got down big early, and came back with a vengeance. Really looking forward to the IU game too.
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Been such a great tourney, with ND out I think Gonzaga is my team, grew up down the road from Nembhard on 'Zaga. Actually played with him a few times, mind you there was a large age gap.

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
      Been such a great tourney, with ND out I think Gonzaga is my team, grew up down the road from Nembhard on 'Zaga. Actually played with him a few times, mind you there was a large age gap.
      Men's, I'm going Houston. I'm an IU fan so can't have the Zags going undefeated.
      Women's, IU of course. If not, Baylor. I've always thought Mulkey was hot. Long in the tooth now, but she was hot 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Men's, I'm going Houston. I'm an IU fan so can't have the Zags going undefeated.
        Women's, IU of course. If not, Baylor. I've always thought Mulkey was hot. Long in the tooth now, but she was hot 10 years ago.
        Speaking of women's hoops... Baylor got absolutely jobbed last night. If a call that bad happened in the men's game there would be a federal investigation.

Comment

Clearly Gino's check cleared by halftime. What a travesty!!!!

Comment

Would like to see Gonzaga do it, only because I'd rather it not be Michigan, SC, Baylor or Houston. No team has gone unbeaten in my lifetime, UNLV 1991 and Kentucky being the most recent to come close.

Incredibly disappointed by the result of the women's game. It's hard to like UConn as long as Geno is there.
            It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
              Same. Both of my younger siblings graduated from Gonzaga, and this team is really fun to watch. Hoping they run the Trojans off the court this afternoon.

Comment

Roy Williams is retiring. Big job now open. I'm sure they're look for an alum to fill the void. Hope their fan base doesn't hold their breath for Brad Stevens. Or Mark Few.

Texas snagging Chris Beard from Texas Tech. What most thought would happen.
                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

Speaking of women's hoops... Baylor got absolutely jobbed last night. If a call that bad happened in the men's game there would be a federal investigation.
                  Yup, pretty horrible. I loved Mulkey's presser comments.
                  IMO they got jobbed earlier too just getting put in that quarter.

Comment

What a freaking game!
                    "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Unreal
                      Prehistoric

Comment

One of the top basketball games I've ever watched

Comment

Best I've seen in the last 20 years. Charge to end regulation. UCLA hanging in to tie it up. The prayer to win it.

Baylor is a lot better stat/rank wise than UCLA, so should be a fun game.

Cheering for Baylor.

Comment

Indeed. That game had everything. Crazy for us old guys to have UCLA as the gutty underdog and Gonzaga as the mega power.

Comment

Great game. Both teams never flinched. UCLA reminded me of Kansas with Danny Manning and the miracles, just coming up a tad short. Sometimes it’s just about getting hot at the right time.

Comment

Great game. Felt like the better team won, UCLA was just ridiculously hot.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

Prehistoric

Comment

Best game since the Jenkins buzzer beater for Nova (UVa vs Auburn in '19 was in the same tier) and it was an exceptionally well played game BUT it lacked athletic marvels all playing WAY over the rim that make your jaw drop. It most reminded me of the Butler team from 2010. And for someone (me) that complains that there's not enough 2010-11 Butler, '19 UVa, '13 Wichita St & '18 Loyola basketball being played.... I'm also the first to ask... was this even in the Top 20?

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                      Best game since the Jenkins buzzer beater for Nova (UVa vs Auburn in '19 was in the same tier) and it was an exceptionally well played game BUT it lacked athletic marvels all playing WAY over the rim that make your jaw drop. It most reminded me of the Butler team from 2010. And for someone (me) that complains that there's not enough 2010-11 Butler, '19 UVa, '13 Wichita St & '18 Loyola basketball being played.... I'm also the first to ask... was this even in the Top 20?
                                      Zags remind me of Bobby Knights motion offense. Can’t turn your head or they’ll burn you.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Zags remind me of Bobby Knights motion offense. Can’t turn your head or they’ll burn you.
                                        Hoping we see some of that with Woodson. Whatever we get with Woodson, one has to think it will be more exciting than Arhie's scheme.

Comment

Hoping we see some of that with Woodson. Whatever we get with Woodson, one has to think it will be more exciting than Arhie's scheme.
                                          Archie had a scheme?

Comment

Archie had a scheme?
                                            Yup. It was called "get to the line, and miss".

Comment

Comment

I read where his coach thought it would have come down to ND/Ohio State if he had decided to play football.
                                                "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

Suggs is going second overall. Top talent. The block, steal, assist sequence late in the second half was remarkable.

Duke-Kentucky 1992 was an Elite Eight game for anyone old enough to remember. For a Final Four game, this one ranks way up there in terms of entertainment value. Every possession was critical by mid second half. It was spectacular.

The UCLA program might be on the way back. I forgive them for hiring that scuzzbag of a human Steve Alford.

Comment

IU must have promised the HC job to Fife because he is leaving MSU to join Woodson staff.
                                                    Prehistoric

Comment

Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                      IU must have promised the HC job to Fife because he is leaving MSU to join Woodson staff.
                                                      Not sure I'd go that far, but I'm sure there was some dancing around that topic given Woodson's age.

Overall, as an IU BB fan, very happy so far with Woodson, Matta, and now Fife. They kept ace recruiter Kenya Hunter, and have one spot yet to fill.

And after retaining both commits, and getting Jackson Davis back, things seem to be looking up. I thought there was a good chance we'd be looking at a lost year.

Comment

Not sure I'd go that far, but I'm sure there was some dancing around that topic given Woodson's age.

Overall, as an IU BB fan, very happy so far with Woodson, Matta, and now Fife. They kept ace recruiter Kenya Hunter, and have one spot yet to fill.

And after retaining both commits, and getting Jackson Davis back, things seem to be looking up. I thought there was a good chance we'd be looking at a lost year.
                                                        Two more out of the portal.

Prehistoric

Comment

How good was that Star Spangled Banner!?!

Comment

81-77 zags
                                                            Prehistoric

Comment

Looks like us going up against Bama. Baylor is bigger, stronger, and more athletic.

Comment

Two more out of the portal.
                                                                Yup. Lander is big. All the kids from last year's class are back in the fold now.
                                                                I think having TJD, Stewart (I think he'll be big next season), and Lander is huge.
                                                                Will be interesting to see what Franklin and Brunk do. Really need at least Brunk back IMO.
                                                                I think Thompson ends up closer to home (MN), but would love to see him return.
                                                                Overall, would really like to see them get 2-3 quality transfers in to IU.
                                                                It's a great year, probably the best ever, to fill holes via the portal.

Comment

The ND fan wins the natty. Good for Scott.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                                                      Looks like us going up against Bama. Baylor is bigger, stronger, and more athletic.
                                                                      Ehh not really. It’d say athletically maybe Thamba/Tchatchou > Timme and Butler > Nembard but probably give the edge to Gonzaga elsewhere. Timme looked hurt or out of it or just shocked by the physicality on him for sure. Timme getting rooted out on O means less space for the guards. Timme abused on Pick/Roll on D means open 3s and they had a unreal day from there. Not to put it on just him because Baylor would’ve beaten anyone tonight but he’s the key cog for Gonzaga and just got exposed by Baylor on this night

Comment

Offense - Zags and Baylor were both top 10. One team played in a tougher conference.
                                                                        Defense - Zags aren't top 100.... and play in a weak conference. Baylor can play D...

I was starting to believe in the Zags until the UCLA game. I went full Baylor after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post

Ehh not really. It’d say athletically maybe Thamba/Tchatchou > Timme and Butler > Nembard but probably give the edge to Gonzaga elsewhere. Timme looked hurt or out of it or just shocked by the physicality on him for sure. Timme getting rooted out on O means less space for the guards. Timme abused on Pick/Roll on D means open 3s and they had a unreal day from there. Not to put it on just him because Baylor would’ve beaten anyone tonight but he’s the key cog for Gonzaga and just got exposed by Baylor on this night
                                                                          Not sure what game you were watching, but overall Baylor was much quicker at most positions IMO. You're right about Timme. Zags go as he goes. Reminded me a lot of the '79 championship game with Bird and Johnson. ISU goes as Bird goes. For clarification, I'm not saying Timme is on Bird's level. lol

Comment

Not sure what game you were watching, but overall Baylor was much quicker at most positions IMO. You're right about Timme. Zags go as he goes. Reminded me a lot of the '79 championship game with Bird and Johnson. ISU goes as Bird goes. For clarification, I'm not saying Timme is on Bird's level. lol
                                                                            Quickness and athleticism are not the exact same thing. Baylor plays 3 PGs so yes I completely agree they are quicker. But I would not agree Macio Teague is more athletic than Joel Ayayi. Heck Mark Vital was the least athletic guy to touch the court last night, still dominated the offensive boards.

Timme I think it was shocking to see him struggle so much because if he was ever going to struggle you’d think it would’ve been versus USC in the Elite 8 with Mobley. We learned Mobley being “better” than Timme was not the key as much as you kinda had to just bully him. 2 Cs for Baylor got 4 fouls each, I’m sure Scott Drew would say well worth it.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Turnovers and 3pt shooting.

The zags looked like they had never seen that kind of defensive pressure the way they were handling the ball even when they weren't turning it over it seemed like they were having weird dribbles and dropped passes.
                                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I think Mike Golic Jr. had a tweet last night that was something to the effect of "Gonzaga: we have a great offense. Baylor: we lift with the football team."

Amazed that Scott Drew took that job all those years ago after the disgusting scandal that took place there with the coach before him. Amazed he's stayed this long. Seems like not that long ago they blew up my bracket by losing to Yale.

Big 12 hoops looks like it's going to be pretty competitive in the coming years. Texas and OU go get good hires. BU, KU and WVU will be solid. Curious to see what Texas Tech does to replace Beard and can't wait for the first Horns vs Red Raiders hoops game, hopefully in front of a full gym.

I like Gonzaga's program. They're no a middie anymore and they'll continue to land top recruits. Key for them will be playing blue bloods early in November and December.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Turnovers and 3pt shooting.

The zags looked like they had never seen that kind of defensive pressure the way they were handling the ball even when they weren't turning it over it seemed like they were having weird dribbles and dropped passes.
                                                                                  Some of that may have been flatness after the UCLA victory, but I think most of those errors were forced by Baylor. Their defense and offensive rebounding were unreal. No way for Gonzaga to compete with Timme getting bullied like that.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    The reason the Zags acted like they'd never seen defensive pressure like that is because they hadn't. Davion Mitchell is the greatest on ball defender I've ever seen in college. Period.

I don't want to get into the who's a better athlete argument but Baylor punched Gonzaga in the mouth. Gonazaga who runs their offense with great speed and continuity got shell shocked by Baylor's speed on D and ownership of the boards combined with Baylor's efficiency from 3 to start the game. The Zags cut the lead in half but Baylor turned it up to 11 in spurts and ended it early.

And who ever said Mark Vital was the least athletic guy on the court is judging the book by the cover. At 6-5/250... he's a freak. Go look up his highlights.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      The reason the Zags acted like they'd never seen defensive pressure like that is because they hadn't. Davion Mitchell is the greatest on ball defender I've ever seen in college. Period.

I don't want to get into the who's a better athlete argument but Baylor punched Gonzaga in the mouth. Gonazaga who runs their offense with great speed and continuity got shell shocked by Baylor's speed on D and ownership of the boards combined with Baylor's efficiency from 3 to start the game. The Zags cut the lead in half but Baylor turned it up to 11 in spurts and ended it early.

And who ever said Mark Vital was the least athletic guy on the court is judging the book by the cover. At 6-5/250... he's a freak. Go look up his highlights.
                                                                                      Being the least athletic guy on a national championship court full of NBA guys wasn’t a slight on Vital, as I said he dominated the offensive boards. Like the “slowest” guy at the 100m at the Olympics lol

Comment

• #44

Being the least athletic guy on a national championship court full of NBA guys wasn’t a slight on Vital, as I said he dominated the offensive boards. Like the “slowest” guy at the 100m at the Olympics lol
                                                                                        He's #11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujYyxLvGOJQ

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          we can disagree without acting like I’m a novice and must have only turned on one CBB game all year. Thanks for the link bud you’re right as always

Comment

• #46

we can disagree without acting like I’m a novice and must have only turned on one CBB game all year. Thanks for the link bud you’re right as always
                                                                                            I’ve watched a few games in my day and understand the difference between athleticism, quickness and speed. Lol

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Mark Vital is a great role player on this Baylor team, but in the context of what was out on that court, he's not one of the first 6 guys picked in a pick-up game, and per NBA guys, he's not in the top 8 or 9.

Always love revisionist history after a tournament. Gonzaga was a historically good team going into this final game. Jesus, they STILL finished first in Kenpom. If they played again tomorrow against Baylor, it would probably be a pick'um, probably Baylor +1.5 or so. Gonzaga was #1 in the country in 2pt Percentage. Baylor was #1 in 3pt percentage. Baylor jumped on them, and hit a 3 every time they got it to near single digits. They played great.

"But Gonzaga hasn't played any good defensive teams...." - Did no one watch the USC game (Hint: They are better adj Defensive Efficiency than Baylor)? No, not the ball pressure, and Gonzaga's guards did not handle it well (though the first foul on Suggs was a block, and that would make two on Mitchell early if things go the same). If you want to say we learned anything, it's that Timme is great against a true 5. But guys with small guys with mass and speed give him headaches.

But, let's not forget that if you watched any Baylor for the last month and a half (after the second COVID break), sans the Houston game (and they played the same type of game as Baylor, but Baylor just does it much better) you wouldn't have taken Baylor -4.5 if I pleaded you to. They were not a Final Four looking team.
                                                                                              Last edited by Woneone; 04-06-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Heard on the radio that there will be between 1,000 - 1,500 entering the portal. Not sure how accurate that number is, but CBB and to an extent CFB are entering into an area similar to free agency.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Heard on the radio that there will be between 1,000 - 1,500 entering the portal. Not sure how accurate that number is, but CBB and to an extent CFB are entering into an area similar to free agency.
                                                                                                  There's already over 1,000 that have entered at one point or another.

It's certainly the free agency era in recruiting.
                                                                                                  Prehistoric

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    TV ratings for the Men's tournament dipped, but revenue was up from 2019. Go figure.

I like Loyola replacing Porter Moser with Valentine. Solid transitional hire there. He should keep the beat rolling. Moser cashing in at OU is the right choice. Get paid now while you can. The Big 12 is going to be fun for a while with these coaches settling in.

The Cincinnati job opening up is also very interesting. Dennis Gates would be a great hire, or they can buy low on Archie Miller. Tod Kowalczykfrom Toledo is another possibility. I think Gates would be a fantastic hire for UC both on and off the court.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X