Zahm Hall just got axed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zahm Hall just got axed

Shut down because of litany of issue, haven’t found full text anywhere but this captures a lot of the letter to Zahm residents -

Apparently big protest to open it back up is going on right now on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
      All them Zahmbies?

Perhaps they should all do an early streak in protest.
      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Sounds like they need to work on their traits. For the record Holy Cross Hall was closed because it was 100 years old and a fire trap, not because we weren’t RKG’s! Go Hogs!
        Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

Comment

I mean it's not like the student section chants "fuck you Zahm" for no reason
          Last edited by notredomer23; 03-16-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I shouted all sorts of things about Zahm but this pisses me off.

Comment

Ole Ole Ole Ole....

Comment

This sucks. I was lucky enough to get assigned to Zahm as a freshman, and while it has it's quirks, the sense of community was special. The parties and pranks were only a small part of actually living in Zahm, and some of my best friends are still the randos who landed there with me for orientation. I saw that start to slip a little when Fr. Dan left and they put a grad student in as rector, but I didn't think it would deteriorate like this.

Comment

From what I gathered reading social media comments, there's a severe distrust between Zahm and the female student population.
                  "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

I assume you can only understand the dorm life at Notre Dame if you went to school there. I couldn't wait to get out of the dorms where I went and made a deal with my parents I'd do two years in the dorms and then move off campus my junior year. I hated living in a dorm more than anything in my college experience.
                    It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

somebody explain the culture at Zahm to me lol
                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                        I assume you can only understand the dorm life at Notre Dame if you went to school there. I couldn't wait to get out of the dorms where I went and made a deal with my parents I'd do two years in the dorms and then move off campus my junior year. I hated living in a dorm more than anything in my college experience.
                        Dorm culture is such an important part of the ND experience. It's like going to Caltech but hating nerd culture, or going to Alabama if you hate incest. Why choose ND if you felt that way?
                        Last edited by MNIrishman; 03-16-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                          From what I gathered reading social media comments, there's a severe distrust between Zahm and the female student population.
                          This reputation surely exists, but I gotta say (even as a non-Zahm resident) that it may not have been accurate in reality. I remember hearing in the last 5 years that Zahm had the highest rate of GreenDot certification on campus. They were definitely trying to turn the reputation around, and while I have no statistical evidence, it seemed like the rate of Title IX incidents was no higher in Zahm than any other Men's dorm. From what I am hearing, the bigger issue was vandalism.

Comment

Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post

Dorm culture is such an important part of the ND experience. It's like going to Caltech but hating nerd culture, or going to Alabama if you hate incest. Why choose ND if you felt that way?
                            He didn't go to Notre Dame

Comment

That's just it, it's different at Notre Dame. I didn't go, but I was at HCC my freshman year while one of my best friends from HS went to Notre Dame. He lived in Sorin College all 4 years, and all his buddies are still super close. I was lucky to spend a lot of time with them and consider many to be friends now too. When you couple the fact that you stay in the same hall all four years, there is no Greek life, and that there is enormous amount of history, tradition, rivalries, quirks, etc. within the halls at Notre Dame it's really just different than any other college.

Comment

Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post

He didn't go to Notre Dame
                                I thought this was rather clear in the post, but evidently not, so thank you for clarifying. I figured the "where I went part" would've been the absolute give away.

I went to a state school where you had to live in the dorms as a freshman or sophomore if it was your first year on campus. The culture there was you did 1-2 years max, then most got out and lived off campus in a house or apartment.

A couple of guys I went to high school with went to ND. They did the dorm thing for a year or two and then moved off campus. It wasn't for them.
                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                  Wannabe frat boys. Obnoxious pranks, vandalism and debauchery.

In undergrad, I lived all four years in Keenan, so I had front-row seats for that toxic culture from '02-'06. The only real fight I've ever been in was with some douche bags from Zahm. Apologies to the good Zahmbies here, but good riddance to the place.

Comment

Dorm life at Notre Dame is a de facto frat that is inclusive rather than exclusive. You have parties, dances, sports teams, etc. all run through your dorm. Some of the most memorable events at ND (Fisher Regatta, Keenan Revue, etc.) are all put on by dorms. They also mandate random roommates freshman year to get people out of their comfort zone and socializing. I think it's a pretty different experience relative to virtually all other colleges and frankly its one of the best things about ND.

Comment

what did Zahm do?
                                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

Zahm is gay. That’s as simple as I can put it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Wannabe frat boys. Obnoxious pranks, vandalism and debauchery.

In undergrad, I lived all four years in Keenan, so I had front-row seats for that toxic culture from '02-'06. The only real fight I've ever been in was with some douche bags from Zahm. Apologies to the good Zahmbies here, but good riddance to the place.
                                          I disagree. The ND dorms need a good antagonist and Zahm has been a perpetual one.

Comment

Don't think of it like a dorm. Its really a residential college. They weren't originally designed as such, so they don't fit the model perfectly, but the general idea is the same. There are tables in the dining halls for the dorms so you always have someone to eat with. The majority of the intramural sports you will play will be based on your dorm. There are year long competitions surrounding the dorms. You learn songs and chants and a history of your dorm. Everyone can tell you the famous names of the people who used to live in their dorm, with some even knowing the exact room. It really is nothing like a normal dorm and the fact that we still call them dorms doesn't seem to do them justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Em View Post

I disagree. The ND dorms need a good antagonist and Zahm has been a perpetual one.
                                              I was going to say the same thing lol. The competition starts now to see who the new worst men's dorm will be.

Comment

It sucks that the dorm has to be shut down, but I'm honestly kind of surprised they lasted this long.

I feel like there is always some problem with at least one dorm that the administration has to deal with. Sometimes its solved by kicking students off campus, but sometimes it requires a leadership change in the dorm. I've seen them over correct and that had a whole different set of problems. But generally things do change. Except for Zahm. It seems like no matter the change, Zahm still did Zahm things. Maybe some of that is just perception due to them generally not making a ton of friends, but apparently enough was still happening that it was getting back to the administration.

Again, its terrible for all the guys, and especially any who are just ending up as collateral damage in this. But it seems like the only way to truly make sure the current Zahm culture goes away is to not bring any more freshmen into it. It really doesn't solve the problem in the immediate future because its just going to move off campus, but its also no longer letting the problem keep going.

Zahm will probably be back in the future, though with the current split of dorms, it might be as a women's hall.

Comment

The counterpoint to the "Zahm kept being Zahm" comments is that that's as much on the other dorms as Zahm. Dorms are randomly assigned right? So then imagine being a kid, like me, who didn't grow up on the ND folklore showing up for frosh O and every dorm chanting "Ole Ole Ole Zahm's gay" and being told we were assholes even though we literally just showed up 3 days ago. My class (2010) was very tame, and I didn't see anything that would have warranted shutting the dorm down, but let's not act like Zahm wasn't shit on left and right. Keenan had a sign during my freshman move in that said "rapists parking" pointing to our offloading site. Some of it we earned, and we tended to aim for a certain level of humorous antagonism (never assault or anything above shaving cream on a statue), but we were a brotherhood, and it was really cool while it lasted.
                                                  Last edited by ResLife Hero; 03-16-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ResLife Hero View Post
                                                    The counterpoint to the "Zahm kept being Zahm" comments is that that's as much on the other dorms as Zahm. Dorms are randomly assigned right? So then imagine being a kid, like me, who didn't grow up on the ND folklore showing up for frosh O and every dorm chanting "Ole Ole Ole Zahm's gay" and being told we were assholes even though we literally just showed up 3 days ago. My class (2010) was very tame, and I didn't see anything that would have warranted shutting the dorm down, but let's not act like Zahm wasn't shit on left and right. Keenan had a sign during my freshman move in that said "rapists parking" pointing to our offloading site. Some of it we earned, and we tended to aim for a certain level of humorous antagonism (never assault or anything above shaving cream on a statue), but we were a brotherhood, and it was really cool while it lasted.
                                                    LOL, so you had both homophobes and fems targeting Zahmbies. Some might say that 's bullying and just perpetuated the rep and behavior in what is a totally random assignment environment.

ND doesn't seem like a very Christian place....

Every college needs a heel.
                                                    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by ResLife Hero View Post
                                                      I feel like there are a lot of psychological principles in play. Nature vs nurture, self-fulfilling prophecies, etc. Zahm curated a culture of being weird and crazy that goes back decades and that was passed down to each successive class. It was then reinforced through traditions and activities. Just compare it to other north quad dorms... Keenan is famous for a comedy sketch show, Stanford for the Pirate Dance, St. Ed's the Yacht Dance.... Zahm for running naked through buildings while people are trying to study for exams.

I was in school in a similar time to you, and I can definitively say that Zahm was not "out of control" back then. If anybody was, it was probably Alumni from a binge drinking standpoint. Stuff must've escalated in the past decade or so to get to the point of them shutting down the dorm.

Comment

I think there must have been a time in the somewhat recent past (like mid 00s) where Zahm probably had a bad run of bad eggs who turned the reputation of Zahm as being prankster annoying frat guys into the "rape culture" that many people on twitter were discussing. During my time as a student (2015-2019) we would get emails for every sexual assault reported with a date and a general location (ie: North Quad mens dorm, West Quad women's dorm) and it didn't seem to me like North Quad Men's dorm was statistically more likely to happen. I lived in Alumni but I knew so Many dudes from Zahm who were great dudes. IrishLax is certainly right about Alumni's drinking culture (wake it shake it) and I agree wholeheartedly with Rack Em, we need an antagonist.

If you know anything about the recent ND campus life changes, Erin Hoffman Harding has been keying in on making a shit ton of changes to the whole system and really, in many of the students' perspectives, ruining the culture of dorms on campus. They seem to be trying to make the dorm experience in each hall as equal as possible while also doing away with many of the traditions that they deem problematic.
                                                        “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.”
                                                        ― Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                          There are year long competitions surrounding the dorms. .
                                                          so like Hogwarts?

What did Davonte do?

Comment

so like Hogwarts?
                                                            As a freshman, you also get assigned to your dorm by the Pope's miter.

Comment

so like Hogwarts?
                                                              Like Hogwarts, but more magic in the sound of their name

Comment

Boo f-ing hoo.Amazing Zahm made it this long - forever hated by everyone but themselves. Always wondered how Zahm escaped a sex change. I was in Hotel Flanner when they shut it down, have to admit they weren't wrong for shutting down Flanner and Grace. Too big and very easy to get away with "stuff". A/C was boss though for that two weeks out of the year you needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
                                                                  NIMBY - who TF wants to take Zahmbies in to their dorm?

Comment

lol Barstool's ND account is all in to save the Zahm, guessing this is proof enough it needs to close?
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

It was probably built upon an old ancient cemetery leaving Zahm afflicted with this super natural aura that permeates throughout. Those that live there accept it. Those that don't are frightened by it.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                      Working...
                                                                      X