No announcement yet.

2020 Coaching carousel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIAP elsewhere but Tennessee hired Danny White as AD. Fantastic hire. The guy knows how to hire. ND grad and father was AD here.

His hire record:

Buffalo: Bobby Hurley, Lance Leipold and Nate Oats
    UCF: Scott Frost and Josh Heupel

Does he circle back to Leipold and really shake things up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
      SIAP elsewhere but Tennessee hired Danny White as AD. Fantastic hire. The guy knows how to hire. ND grad and father was AD here.

His hire record:

Buffalo: Bobby Hurley, Lance Leipold and Nate Oats
      UCF: Scott Frost and Josh Heupel

Does he circle back to Leipold and really shake things up?
      Yup, White is home run IMO. Comes from a great sports family too.

He's a guy I'd always though would end up at ND some day.

Great get for UT. Going to be interesting to see who he chooses for HC.
      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Anyone know who was our main recruiter/s during the Charlie Weiss years? We had some good Offensive skill players back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
          Anyone know who was our main recruiter/s during the Charlie Weiss years? We had some good Offensive skill players back then.
          Rob Ianello was the Recr Coord and WR coach. Haywood was RBs coach and did decent. CW of course was involved in the skill guys too.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
            Anyone know who was our main recruiter/s during the Charlie Weiss years? We had some good Offensive skill players back then.
            our main recruiter was charley weis. Dude could recruit.

Comment

• Ed Warinner is out at Michigan. Comments saying he is either going to Jacksonville with Meyer or staying at Michigan as an analyst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                Havenít heard that name in awhile. Big time star LB at Auburn back in the day.
                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: The Philadelphia Eagles have targeted Auburn&#39;s Tracy Rocker to be the new defensive line coach. He&#39;s expected to join Jonathan Gannon&#39;s defensive staff in Philadelphia.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1353408748442722304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 24, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Sounds like Elliott is Tennessee’s top target. Can that coaching staff finally get a clean dent?

Comment

Sounds like Elliott is Tennesseeís top target. Can that coaching staff finally get a clean dent?
                    Maybe itís just me but kind of crazy that they went that route over a guy like Fleck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                      Maybe it’s just me but kind of crazy that they went that route over a guy like Fleck.
                      EDIT: misread a post, seems Fleck could be a choice

247 thinks Campbell is their target. I’d imagine that would be a no. The Elliott talk today has come from Mike Farrell

Comment

Some talk he said no to them.

247 thinks Campbell is their target. Iíd imagine that would be a no. The Elliott talk today has come from Mike Farrell
                        Got it. I had not read that. That would make more sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                          Got it. I had not read that. That would make more sense.
                          You beat my edit lol. I misread a post about Fleck there’s nothing about him saying no thanks yet, but I’d go Campbell if I was them just don’t think he’d say yes.

Comment

• If it were me I’d go Campbell as well but didn’t think he was a realistic option. I thought I saw a tweet where it mentioned some candidates and Campbell wasn’t included.

Comment

• I have a hard time seeing Campbell take that job. He can coach at Iowa State as long as he’s drawing breath. Tennessee, OTOH, is a revolving door with meddlesome boosters and high expectations.

If that’s what Campbell wanted he could have had FSU eating out of his hand and there he’d have an easier schedule and recruiting grounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                                I have a hard time seeing Campbell take that job. He can coach at Iowa State as long as heís drawing breath. Tennessee, OTOH, is a revolving door with meddlesome boosters and high expectations.

If thatís what Campbell wanted he could have had FSU eating out of his hand and there heíd have an easier schedule and recruiting grounds.
                                Yeah, I have a feeling Campbell has already turned down jobs better than Tennessee. That job isn't as good as it was 20 years ago when Bama, Georgia, Clemson, and LSU were all mediocre.
                                The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• Josh Heupel emerging as lead candidate per Tennessee Rivals: https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/jo...-jeremy-pruitt

Thatís....something. Hold your nose and trust the AD you just hired type hire

Comment

Josh Heupel emerging as lead candidate per Tennessee Rivals: https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/jo...-jeremy-pruitt

Maybe thatís the only one that would take the job.
                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Josh Heupel emerging as lead candidate per Tennessee Rivals: https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/jo...-jeremy-pruitt

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l4FGzTRVr14I4Ja00" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/golf-fall-kid-l4FGzTRVr14I4Ja00">via GIPHY</a></p>

Comment

• Cycle's not over so knock on wood... but as a part-time Buffalo fan, I can't believe we've gone another year without Lance Leipold getting poached.

Comment

• Originally posted by KizerWilhelm View Post
                                          Cycle's not over so knock on wood... but as a part-time Buffalo fan, I can't believe we've gone another year without Lance Leipold getting poached.
                                          I can't imagine that pays well.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                            If he was choice #2 or choice #6, feel like you can feel pretty confident whether it was Elliot, Fleck Campbell or Franklin that #1 choice said no thanks

Comment

• I mean he did hire the guy at UCF, so I'm not all that surprised.
                                              UCF did backslide, but they also had some rough breaks at QB.
                                              It's not a splash, but I really can't say it's a bad hire (yet).

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                I mean he did hire the guy at UCF, so I'm not all that surprised.
                                                Definitely agree itís not bad. Youíll see a offense for sure, Ole Miss is the easy comp. If they go this route the DC hire will be interesting, keeping Steele or how that shakes out.

Heupel is probably on par with what Tennessee job really is, just not what they think it is.

Comment

I mean he did hire the guy at UCF, so I'm not all that surprised.
                                                  If it end's up being him, I would call it a meh type of hire.

For one, when White had to replace Frost at UCF, Heupel wasn't the top choice. IIRC, he was #3 or #4. While that is fairly common, it's important to note since he has backtracked each year while in the job.

Next, all the talk was about how UT was passed Fulmer and they were ready to commit to competing. They were going to spend and spend big. White as AD was a really solid hire and I think that elevated expectations for the coach even more. While some of the names being throw around were long shots (like Franklin), there were much bigger names than Heupel being discussed, though some had character flaws (Lane, Freeze, etc).

Time will tell, but in terms of "winning the press conference", I think this falls a bit short.

Random poll.....which fan base do you think is happier with their hire...Auburn or Tennessee (assuming JH)? I would say Auburn probably feels better, but they also had a head start.

Comment

Definitely agree itís not bad. Youíll see a offense for sure, Ole Miss is the easy comp. If they go this route the DC hire will be interesting, keeping Steele or how that shakes out.

Heupel is probably on par with what Tennessee job really is, just not what they think it is.
                                                    IMO, what they have lacked is O, so I think it could possibly turn out well. Kiffin, in his one year had them going in the right direction. Then the coaching hires went in another direction.

I agree on the DC hiring being interesting/key. I'd keep Steele unless there's a stud DC available.

Comment

• Legit thought. Josh Heupel doesn’t look like a former national champion QB. I feel like his brand recognition suffers somehow. If he had the slicked back hair, aviator look to match his offense the boosters might like it lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                        If it end's up being him, I would call it a meh type of hire.

For one, when White had to replace Frost at UCF, Heupel wasn't the top choice. IIRC, he was #3 or #4. While that is fairly common, it's important to note since he has backtracked each year while in the job.

Next, all the talk was about how UT was passed Fulmer and they were ready to commit to competing. They were going to spend and spend big. White as AD was a really solid hire and I think that elevated expectations for the coach even more. While some of the names being throw around were long shots (like Franklin), there were much bigger names than Heupel being discussed, though some had character flaws (Lane, Freeze, etc).

Time will tell, but in terms of "winning the press conference", I think this falls a bit short.

Random poll.....which fan base do you think is happier with their hire...Auburn or Tennessee (assuming JH)? I would say Auburn probably feels better, but they also had a head start.
                                                        I think there are some very good reasons for UCFs backslide. And even then, the O was good. Gabriel was 32 TDs and 4 INTs last year. They've been top 5 in the nation in O the last 3 years. And that's why you're hiring him. The other side of the ball is a completely different story, but again, he's not a D guy. The DC hire will be key. Offensively, not sure what coach would be better. Maybe Freeze, but that's not a given.

Comment

Legit thought. Josh Heupel doesnít look like a former national champion QB. I feel like his brand recognition suffers somehow. If he had the slicked back hair, aviator look to match his offense the boosters might like it lol
                                                          He fits in with the common man going to the games lol.

Comment

• From Pete Thamel:

Sources: Former Stanford strength coach Shannon Turley has agreed to become the new strength coach at Colorado. He was part of three PAC-12 titles, 5 New Years Six bowls and produced 42 draft picks and 9 Pro Bowlers while at Stanford.

Comment

From Pete Thamel:

Sources: Former Stanford strength coach Shannon Turley has agreed to become the new strength coach at Colorado. He was part of three PAC-12 titles, 5 New Years Six bowls and his injections produced 42 draft picks and 9 Pro Bowlers while at Stanford.
                                                              FIFY

Comment

From Pete Thamel:

Sources: Former Stanford strength coach Shannon Turley has agreed to become the new strength coach at Colorado. He was part of three PAC-12 titles, 5 New Years Six bowls and produced 42 draft picks and 9 Pro Bowlers while at Stanford.
                                                                So CO wants a juice bar.

Comment

I think there are some very good reasons for UCFs backslide. And even then, the O was good. Gabriel was 32 TDs and 4 INTs last year. They've been top 5 in the nation in O the last 3 years. And that's why you're hiring him. The other side of the ball is a completely different story, but again, he's not a D guy. The DC hire will be key. Offensively, not sure what coach would be better. Maybe Freeze, but that's not a given.
                                                                  We will see. I want to see UT good again. I always loved the UF / UT battles in the 90's. I just think this was their chance to prove they didn't settle (like Pruitt, like Dooley).

Here are the FEI offensive rankings for Heupel lead offenses over the years. He seemingly has had a good offense, but got worse at UCF (QB issues noted), OU took off once he left (no shame in being less than LR) and Mizzou performed better in immediate year post Heupel, though Lock was a senior at that point. So, lots to consider, but I think it's fair to be equal parts optimistic and skeptical. Hence the meh rating from me.

2020 - 13th (notable mentions include coastal Car at 9, Buffalo at 6, ND at 17).
                                                                  2019 - 9th
                                                                  2018 - 4th (Mizzou was 11th first year post JH, the OC was none other than Derek Dooley)
                                                                  2017 - 22 at mizzou (UCF was 7th)
                                                                  2016 - 60
                                                                  2015 - 53 at Utah State (OU was 9th first season post JH)
                                                                  2014 - 19 at Oklahoma
                                                                  2013 - 32
                                                                  2012 - 8
                                                                  2011 - 25
                                                                  2010 - 16th

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SOURCES: UCFís Josh Heupel is finalizing a deal to be the next coach at Tennessee. Details here at <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooSports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@yahoosports</a>: <a href="https://t.co/nrxs7cafwF">https://t.co/nrxs7cafwF</a></p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1354408081157992452?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                      Exactly my thought as well.

As for Matt Campbell, I don't know if he's either the next big thing or if he's the right guy for Iowa State. He could turn out to be the guy who leaves there and can't do anything anywhere else.

Think Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech as his career ceiling, which wouldn't be bad, though I doubt he stays at Iowa State forever. He should try to, though.
                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• So UCF's DC is Randy Shannon and he makes $1M a year. The first and to this point only G5 coordinator to crack seven figures.

Interesting tidbit I did not know until this morning. Wow.
                                                                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Assts: Clemsonís Tony Elliott, Texas A&amp;M DC Mike Elko, Floridaís Brian Johnson, NDs Marcus Freeman, UNCís Phil Longo, OUís Alex Grinch, OM Jeff Lebby, USCís Graham Harrell, UGAís Dan Lanning, Arkís Barry Odom, NCST&#39;s Tim Beck (alum).</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1354436923356565514?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Freeman no thanks
                                                                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

• So he named every coach with a pulse? I bet he’ll be right on one!

Comment

• Interesting fact...since 2016, 9 coaches have jumped from the AAC to P5 schools. The combined winning percentage of them all is .477 at their next school. That is giving Manny Diaz (stretch) and not counting Willie at FSU.

Last edited by Ndaccountant; 01-27-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                Exactly my thought as well.

As for Matt Campbell, I don't know if he's either the next big thing or if he's the right guy for Iowa State. He could turn out to be the guy who leaves there and can't do anything anywhere else.

Think Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech as his career ceiling, which wouldn't be bad, though I doubt he stays at Iowa State forever. He should try to, though.
                                                                                Wasnít it reported that Campbell will be choosy about which job he takes if that ever happens? I remember reading that he ďdidnít want to get his hands dirtyĒ which alluded to dirty recruiting that tends to be more prevalent at southern schools. It listed his ideal opportunities as tOSU, ND, PSU IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SOURCES: UCF’s Josh Heupel is finalizing a deal to be the next coach at Tennessee. Details here at <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooSports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@yahoosports</a>: <a href="https://t.co/nrxs7cafwF">https://t.co/nrxs7cafwF</a></p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1354408081157992452?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                  So they just hired a guy who has UCF trending down. In his first season, 12-1; second, 10-3; third, 6-4....

I mean, they've still been a good, competitive team, but how much of it was just riding off the coat tails of Frost?

Then again, who the heck else were they going to get?
                                                                                  "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                                    So they just hired a guy who has UCF trending down. In his first season, 12-1; second, 10-3; third, 6-4....

I mean, they've still been a good, competitive team, but how much of it was just riding off the coat tails of Frost?

Devils advocate, not much place to guy besides down after 12-1 right? Plus pandemic year pass

Comment

Wasnít it reported that Campbell will be choosy about which job he takes if that ever happens? I remember reading that he ďdidnít want to get his hands dirtyĒ which alluded to dirty recruiting that tends to be more prevalent at southern schools. It listed his ideal opportunities as tOSU, ND, PSU IIRC.
                                                                                      Maybe. Sounds about right. I think those are Fickell's three schools, too, and Penn State is actually a maybe for Fickell. Somehow I think Fickell winds up at ND one day if the timing is right. The six children he spawned was the tip off that led to my hunch. Take it with a grain of salt.

My point regardless of that is I have my doubts that Campbell would be successful anywhere else other than Iowa State, however picky he intends to be. That being said, he is smart to be selective so long as he is employed and doing well at Iowa State. I have read the same with how some people regard Fickell too.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post

This. Talk about trending down. Take a look at the Tennessee football program since Dooley took it over. It's Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral time.

What kind of cupboard to O'Leary leave Scott Frost? He won there pretty quick. As I recall UCF wanted Dino Babers from BGSU but he wanted to coach his team in the MAC Championship. It leaked out and the deal fell apart. Frost went to UCF and Babers ended up at Syracuse.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SOURCES: UCFís Josh Heupel is finalizing a deal to be the next coach at Tennessee. Details here at <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooSports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@yahoosports</a>: <a href="https://t.co/nrxs7cafwF">https://t.co/nrxs7cafwF</a></p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1354408081157992452?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                          This is a great hire...for Clark Lea...

Comment

• Sounds like Tennessee had to settle for Heupel because literally no one else wanted the job. Frankly, I can't say I blame any of those coaches, given all of the mutiny and backstabbing that's happened there since they fired Butch Jones. What an absolute disaster of a program.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sinow</a> sources, Heupel is the choice after White took some swings and misses elsewhere. Clemson OC Tony Elliott likely gave the job the most serious consideration before opting to stay put.</p>&mdash; Pat Forde (@ByPatForde) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1354411423498178569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• The buyout and term as some have wondered about will be telling, if it’s short and not a large $, it’s a bandaid while sanctions happen and at least you’ll see TDs. If he gets a Rhule/Tucker deal, White has faith in Heupel

Comment

• I'm sure White took care of Heupel on the back end. Probably a nice buyout for him once he gets fired in a few years.

PJ Fleck and Minnesota was the first instance I'd ever heard where the negotiations started backwards. Now I think they all do. What is my walk away money when you fire me because winning 7-8 games a year isn't enough?

Done and done.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald has agreed to a new 10-year contract that stretches through 2030. Multiple NFL franchises reached out to Fitzgerald this year, including two that made a heavy push.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1354492959534800903?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                                                    Interesting fact...since 2016, 9 coaches have jumped from the AAC to P5 schools. The combined winning percentage of them all is .477 at their next school. That is giving Manny Diaz (stretch) and not counting Willie at FSU.

In hindsight, snagging BK wasn't such a bad deal after all.
                                                                                                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald has agreed to a new 10-year contract that stretches through 2030. Multiple NFL franchises reached out to Fitzgerald this year, including two that made a heavy push.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1354492959534800903?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                                      He might be a wacko and hate on ND, but I got to be honest, I respect what Fitzgerald has done at NW, and the fact that he has always stay committed to that school.

Now maybe that in itself is wacky, that he hasn't left NW. But he has found success in a tough place to find success. Kudos to him and that school.
                                                                                                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X