• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Coaching carousel

Game cocks can Will Muschamp.
    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
    Game cocks can Will Muschamp.
    Not really a big fan of Will, but I'm not sure they'll do better with GA and FL in the same division. He's best as a DC, and I'm sure will get picked up again easily.

If I were him though, I'd go get a HC job in the AAC if he got that chance. Trying to compete in the SECE vs UGA and FL was never going to end well.

USF just hired a new coach, but they might look even worse than they did with Strong. EC if he wants to stay in the Carolinas.
    The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

I was just listening to Andy Staples podcast this morning and while they agreed Muschamp would’ve been fired in any normal year, they figured he’d get a pass due to COVID this season.

They’re eating some contract aren’t they? Maybe some of their deep pocket boosters stepped up and said they’d support a change.

Comment

Think Venables might have interest here?

Comment

Meatchicken doesn’t fire coaches during the season, so don’t even start the “Fire Harbaugh” chants..

Comment

Hairball won’t get “fired”. They will part ways

Comment

Originally posted by Irishize View Post
              I was just listening to Andy Staples podcast this morning and while they agreed Muschamp would’ve been fired in any normal year, they figured he’d get a pass due to COVID this season.

They’re eating some contract aren’t they? Maybe some of their deep pocket boosters stepped up and said they’d support a change.
              https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...247207839.html

13ish

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                Not really a big fan of Will, but I'm not sure they'll do better with GA and FL in the same division. He's best as a DC, and I'm sure will get picked up again easily.

If I were him though, I'd go get a HC job in the AAC if he got that chance. Trying to compete in the SECE vs UGA and FL was never going to end well.

USF just hired a new coach, but they might look even worse than they did with Strong. EC if he wants to stay in the Carolinas.
                Hugh Freeze has got to be on top of their list. Frankly, if that were to happen, the real loser is UT. The cocks may not win the East, but I would bet that if Hugh Freeze was there, UT's hope for a revival would all be nailed shut for the foreseeable future.

As for Will....Someone will take a chance on him, but he will be both expensive and risky. He hasn't coordinated a defense full time since 2009 save his one season on the plains. And frankly, that team was a hot mess and his defense was unremarkable. The only thing the did well was limit big passing plays. But don't confuse that with having a good pass defense. They were in triple digits w/r/t pass defense success rate and sack rate. Many times the game passes some of the defense coordinators turned head coach by. I am not sure on Will either way, but I think it would be a large risk given the investment it would take to get him (for any school).

Comment

Will Muschamp will be an analyst at Bama, as is tradition.

I heard that Jim Harbaugh might be available for South Carolina to call. If they're willing to wait until December, of course

Comment

Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
                    Think Venables might have interest here?
                    He has stated he feels obligated to stay through his son’s (maybe 2 sons?) career since he sold him on attending Clemson. Plus, he can afford to be picky. I think he can do better than a 2nd tier SEC school.

Comment

He has stated he feels obligated to stay through his son’s (maybe 2 sons?) career since he sold him on attending Clemson. Plus, he can afford to be picky. I think he can do better than a 2nd tier SEC school.
                      Plus it'd suck to lose to your old school every year

Comment

Exactly. Not sure he's the type of guy who could excel as a HC, or even wants the spotlight, but he can likely do better. And Muschamp was only making around 3M a year, not much more than Venables. I'm sure Clemson would match that if needed.

Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                        Hugh Freeze has got to be on top of their list. Frankly, if that were to happen, the real loser is UT. The cocks may not win the East, but I would bet that if Hugh Freeze was there, UT's hope for a revival would all be nailed shut for the foreseeable future.

As for Will....Someone will take a chance on him, but he will be both expensive and risky. He hasn't coordinated a defense full time since 2009 save his one season on the plains. And frankly, that team was a hot mess and his defense was unremarkable. The only thing the did well was limit big passing plays. But don't confuse that with having a good pass defense. They were in triple digits w/r/t pass defense success rate and sack rate. Many times the game passes some of the defense coordinators turned head coach by. I am not sure on Will either way, but I think it would be a large risk given the investment it would take to get him (for any school).
                        Hugh is making what Muschamp was making already (3M) and just signed an extension. He'd be silly to go to SC for the same and get beat by UGA and FL, when he can stay and be worshiped at Liberty IMO.

I don't really agree on UT being cooked if Hugh went to SC. TN has such a better fanbase and much better facilities. They just need to get the right coach. They've been able to recruit pretty darn good even while sucking at football. TN has been top 10ish the last couple of years, and decent before. SC is lucky to pop into the top 20.

Not saying Muschamp is all that coaching D. That's why I said he should just go to the AAC and be a big boy in a smaller pond. Fickel and Heupel will likely get bigger jobs pretty soon too.

Comment

About that time of the year where I start looking over football scoop 2-3 times a day
                          Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

If Kirby Smart's head coaching job can be Georgia then Venables can do better than South Carolina. Maybe not, but for now it makes no sense for him to go there and barely scratch a 10 win season in a good year.

Also, Venables by 2025 when his two sons are gone will be making $2.5M a year at Clemson. I'd highly doubt he'd leave for a $3M a year job at some mid-tier school. I'd bet it would take $5M minimum to get him to leave Clemson and there's maybe 25 schools in the country capable of that cash. I'm very curious what job he takes but I'd bet he'd wait for a sleeping giant with loads of talent. Not that he'd take a job this offseason, but here's an example of what he could be going after in terms of top 15 team talent teams and hot seat coaches.

1) Texas
                            2) USC
                            3) Auburn
                            4) Tennessee
                            5) Michigan

Comment

Co Signed on Muschamp to Bama and Freeze to South Carolina. I don't think there is any question on either of those happening.

Muschamp will land somewhere in P5 again as a DC at worst.
                              It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Working...
                              X