Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 HI ATH Marist Liufau (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you SouthSide for the info. I can see now as a non-recruited athlete, he has some additional flexibility.

Discussion about an Academic Scholarship coming from ND is still highly improbable. They hand out very few academic scholarships and it's highly unlikely that Bertrand would be selected for one of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by ResLife Hero View Post
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No, he isn't. Don't believe everything you read. It's being discussed on the board at BGI. Check it out. <a href="https://t.co/KOySl6HL2W">https://t.co/KOySl6HL2W</a></p>&mdash; Bryan Driskell (@BGI_CoachD) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGI_CoachD/status/1086283368151638016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 18, 2019</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone with BGI know what Driskell means?
      Essentially he's saying that the plan is for ND to have scholarships available for Bertrand and Liufau with the 19' class. However, the staff was obviously proactive in it's approach to talking about this with the two kids, in case those scholarships weren't available.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
        Great, we're a football factory now - NDNation
        I'm just happy there are kids out there willing to settle or make sacrifices just to play for ND.

Comment

• Per Loy, the plan is prep school and staying in football shape, so I'm not sure how that all works.

Comment

• Originally posted by KizerWilhelm View Post
            Per Loy, the plan is prep school and staying in football shape, so I'm not sure how that all works.
            Not really. The plan is to try and get him on campus with the 19' class. If that doesn't occur, then it's the Prep School route.

Comment

• Whatever we do, let's just do it right.

God knows the NCAA would love to come in and f us in the a, given any window for "error".

Comment

• I think I'd rather have Marist than the kid from Georgia if it means one or the other comes next year I also like Marist better than Kiser

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                  I think I'd rather have Marist than the kid from Georgia if it means one or the other comes next year I also like Marist better than Kiser
                  Not sure this really is a discussion at this point. JD Bertrand "the kid from Georgia", would be paying his own way as a PWO, if no scholarships are made available. Marist's family doesn't have that option. So he'd have to go the prep school route and wait for the space to open. Bertrand will be on campus no matter what. Marist has to wait and see about space. Now if only one scholarship is available, I would hope they give it to Marist, as he committed first and doesn't have another option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post
                    I know we don't like to make distinctions ;), but the reality is that ND offers a Top 20 education (which means something in a country with +300M people), and costs around $60K per year--i.e., aprox. $250,000.00. ND is excellent training and taps you into an outstanding, fairly unique, alumni network.

For the 99.9% of non-football players, getting into Notre Dame without a scholarship is a HUGE deal. It is a real question for most kids whether it is better to pay the money to go to a school like ND then to, say, go to Alabama or USF on a full ride. Many, many, many kids, especially those with means, choose the better school and suck up the debt. Many think that is generally a reasonable, or even smart move.

Long story short. If ND (or Duke, Northwestern, UVA, Stanford, Michigan, USC, or other eleite schools) start saying you can come here, roll the dice that you may have to pay one year, but then be on scholarship if you justify your spot on the practice field--but you will still be enrolled at one of the best schools in the country if you don't. . . . that is not a bad deal! In fact, its what a lot of academic scholarships looks like.

This is not equivalent to saying, you can come here to SEC U, roll the dice that you may have to pay one year, and then you'll be on scholarship if you justify your spot, and BTW as far as we're concerned, your education is going to consistent 100% of checking off minimum requirements. It's like comparing an unpaid internship at Goldman Sachs with a paid intership at a local bank, and only focusing on the "unpaid" aspect.

Even, so. It sounds like ND is really saying, you can come here, roll the dice that you may have to pay one year, but then you'll have 3-4 years of scholarship to earn a degree from of the best schools in the country. That is an excellent deal.

We get so used to treating these football players like they are a special class, that we forget how hard it is to get into an elite university.
                    So ur point is if we start grey shirting it's acceptable because the ND degree is of high quality but for other schools it's not because their degree is inferior?

And people wonder why other fanbases hate ND...
                    Last edited by NDdomer2; 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM.
                    Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                      You have to be in college for a year before ND would let you transfer. It's a good idea but it wouldn't get past admissions.
                      OK, then don't transfer the classes in. Audit a few prerequisites like PSY101, & ECON101 and then accidently bump into the S&C staff every day.

Any Poke Bars in South Bend yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                        So ur point is if we start grey shirting it's acceptable because the ND degree is of high quality but for other schools it's not because their degree is inferior?

And people wonder why other fanbases hate ND...
                        Assuming there are a few different groups on the topic.

1) GSing is bad, it's circumventing the spirit of existing rules, and ND should never do it.
                        2) GSing is fine so long schools are up front and honest
                        3) GSing done by ND is fine because we're honest, and other schools aren't

Count me in the camp that believes it is a way to circumvent the existing rules, and is becoming the norm in CFB. I don't like it particularly but I'm fine with it as long as it's honest in terms of communication, and we always honor whatever future promise we might have made. The second we don't honor the future promise, is the minute we're SECish... I don't really give two shits what other schools do.

At the end of the day, the athlete makes the initial decision and is aware of the risks despite whatever promises are made. The risks are likely higher with some schools than others. ND is probably a low risk / no risk school when it comes to GSing. In short, it's OK with me until we F someone, and then it isn't.

#3 is why folks hate us lol...
                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                          Assuming there are a few different groups on the topic.

1) GSing is bad, it's circumventing the spirit of existing rules, and ND should never do it.
                          2) GSing is fine so long schools are up front and honest
                          3) GSing done by ND is fine because we're honest, and other schools aren't

Count me in the camp that believes it is a way to circumvent the existing rules, and is becoming the norm in CFB. I don't like it particularly but I'm fine with it as long as it's honest in terms of communication, and we always honor whatever future promise we might have made. The second we don't honor the future promise, is the minute we're SECish... I don't really give two shits what other schools do.

At the end of the day, the athlete makes the initial decision and is aware of the risks despite whatever promises are made. The risks are likely higher with some schools than others. ND is probably a low risk / no risk school when it comes to GSing. In short, it's OK with me until we F someone, and then it isn't.

#3 is why folks hate us lol...
                          I have no idea if there are kids getting regularly screwed over by this in the SEC (or other conferences) or not. But I feel like if they were you would hear more about it.

It just feels like an assumption,that because they have been GS kids well before the rest of the CFB world, that of course they are doing it unethically.
                          Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                            I have no idea if there are kids getting regularly screwed over by this in the SEC (or other conferences) or not. But I feel like if they were you would hear more about it.

It just feels like an assumption,that because they have been GS kids well before the rest of the CFB world, that of course they are doing it unethically.
                            There are plenty of stories out there. One set of stories is where a kid has a real offer, commits, and then at signing day the school turns it into a grey shirt situation. Happened several times in the SEC and other places when a player got injured before showing up for college. The early signing period has diminished these a bit as most kids simply go somewhere else. The second is when a kid agrees to be GS'd, but the promise is never fulfilled.

here's one of the examples (Saban), but a quick google and you will find plenty.
                            https://247sports.com/college/alabam...aban-17695501/

Comment

• Sounds like he is having a great week. One of the alpha dogs from day 3

DB Marist Liufau

The Notre Dame signee was a standout for Team Makai, blanketing the back half of the secondary and covering receivers some 45-50 yards down field. Liufau projects best at outside linebacker given his length, but he's very smooth in coverage and seamlessly reacts to plays in front of him. The Fighting Irish are getting one of the bigger steals out West in this recruiting cycle.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...9/#127982699_3

Comment

• I think he could play safety this year coming up for us

Comment

I think he could play safety this year coming up for us
                                  How do you figure? He might not even be on campus let alone contributing at safety. I think we could be a weapon on special teams in a few years but no way if he sticks to safety he's beating out Hamilton, Allen, Griffin and all those guys. Staff wants him to play rover/OLB and for his length that's perfect for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                                    How do you figure? He might not even be on campus let alone contributing at safety. I think we could be a weapon on special teams in a few years but no way if he sticks to safety he's beating out Hamilton, Allen, Griffin and all those guys. Staff wants him to play rover/OLB and for his length that's perfect for him.
                                    Wel hopefully the staff has an answer for safety/CB play because when love went out the team looked awful.

Comment

Wel hopefully the staff has an answer for safety/CB play because when love went out the team looked awful.
                                      So why you attributing that to the safety play? The safeties had to account for poor play on the outside by a backup cornerback who lost any confidence he once had after the Pitt game. Gilman got burned on one play in the game but name another game it happened in this year? The last thing I want is a freshman safety playing over a group with experience and solid depth behind it. I think it will be hard to get Hamilton on the field with solid reps let alone Liufau.

Comment

I don't even know why I'm responding. You just say shit to say shit. Julian Love is gone, Marist Litufua isn't going to answer those questions next year or the year after that. Gillman and Elliot were some of the bright spots for our team this year. Now you think a major project like Marist is gonna come in and figure that all out? Playing a position we aren't even recruiting him as?

Comment

• Originally posted by dkuhn12 View Post
                                          So why you attributing that to the safety play? The safeties had to account for poor play on the outside by a backup cornerback who lost any confidence he once had after the Pitt game. Gilman got burned on one play in the game but name another game it happened in this year? The last thing I want is a freshman safety playing over a group with experience and solid depth behind it. I think it will be hard to get Hamilton on the field with solid reps let alone Liufau.
                                          Save your energy, it's not worth the battle bro

Comment

• I’m just stating the DB play is concerning next year I think Bracy will be good in time. The Vandy game was concerning their QB threw all over us and we didn’t have an answer for their TE. We also caught some breaks with cuse QB getting Hurt, and their was at least 1 or 2 other teams we played where their Back up was playing. Virgina tech being one of them.

Comment

I’m just stating the DB play is concerning next year I think Bracy will be good in time. The Vandy game was concerning their QB threw all over us and we didn’t have an answer for their TE. We also caught some breaks with cuse QB getting Hurt, and their was at least 1 or 2 other teams we played where their Back up was playing. Virgina tech being one of them.
                                              What are you talking about now? We literally return 4 of our 5 DB's and get Crawford back. All college football teams would be so pumped two return two great safeties and a battle tested corner in Pride who I believe will take that next step and become a #1 corner.

Comment

• B

Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                                                Iím just stating the DB play is concerning next year I think Bracy will be good in time. The Vandy game was concerning their QB threw all over us and we didnít have an answer for their TE. We also caught some breaks with cuse QB getting Hurt, and their was at least 1 or 2 other teams we played where their Back up was playing. Virgina tech being one of them.
                                                DB is not a "concern". CB may be a little concern, but there are many other position groups with more questions. DT/NT, LB, OL, and RB are far greater concerns. Assuming no regression, the only thing I will worry about less than one CB, is DE, and QB.

Comment

• I don’t understand the concern at DT/NT.

Comment

I don’t understand the concern at DT/NT.
                                                    The middle of our DL (both starters) will be new. One of which was our sack and forced fumble leader, and likely a second round pick. That combined with losing our starting Mike and Buck means the middle of our front seven will be all newbs. Run defense next year is a huge ? as we're losing 2 or our top 3 tacklers.

We likely have solid replacements at NT and DT, but depth will be young.

Comment

• had an INT last night, as did Asa.

overall the game was pretty sloppy as you might expect.

Comment

• This is big boy football. And we are back with the big boys now. If some of you think it's unacceptable, then go root for the Ivy League and the Service Academies.

Forward not backward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Turtle View Post
                                                          This is big boy football. And we are back with the big boys now. If some of you think it's unacceptable, then go root for the Ivy League and the Service Academies.

Forward not backward.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                            Lol that's appropriate because it was over the top in jest. But honestly, I don't have a problem with greyshirting if someone really wants to come but we have no room.

Comment

I think he could play safety this year coming up for us
                                                              LOL. sorry I'm a little late to the party...this goes right to the top of the list of your "all time great posts"! Not a chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioIrish31 View Post
                                                                LOL. sorry I'm a little late to the party...this goes right to the top of the list of your "all time great posts"! Not a chance.
                                                                Hey, at least he's not tweeting at recruits.

Comment

• anyone have more on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by SoIll View Post
                                                                    anyone have more on this?
                                                                    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Despite a rumor going around, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> linebacker Marist Liufau made it clear today to <a href="https://twitter.com/bangulo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@bangulo</a> that he signed his NLI on Dec. 19 for many reasons and no matter when the time comes, he only wants to play college ball for the Fighting Irish. <a href="https://t.co/wNI6QdwFtd">https://t.co/wNI6QdwFtd</a><a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@247Sports</a> <a href="https://t.co/swt7oM47kN">pic.twitter.com/swt7oM47kN</a></p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/1086083994133909506?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 18, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                    The II podcast went more into it, but essentially, JD Bertrand and Marist Liufau are scholarships #87 & 88 right now. I donít know which one is first in line, but essentially they will get scholarships when the come available. Either they move to South Bend in mid-June 2019 or January 2020. They are guaranteed scholarships at ND by virtue of them signing letters of intent which marries and the player to the school and vice-versa. The school would not be allowed to talk about them if they hadnít. Also, USC might be interested but itís illegal for them to speak to Marist while he is in a scholarship agreement with ND. Heíd need to enter the transfer portal and if he did, it would reek of tampering by USC. I think even with Asa Turner & Isaiah Foskey potentially coming (that would get to 90), 5 more guys will leave the program. There are a ton of DBís who are at their make or break point of playing or not in their career and many other dudes who havenít seen significant burn (Javon McKinley, Isaiah Robertson, Darnell Ewell, Kofi Wardlow, Jon Jones, Drew White, Jeremiah O Koramoah, and Devin Studstill).

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                                                      The II podcast went more into it, but essentially, JD Bertrand and Marist Liufau are scholarships #87 & 88 right now. I don’t know which one is first in line, but essentially they will get scholarships when the come available. Either they move to South Bend in mid-June 2019 or January 2020. They are guaranteed scholarships at ND by virtue of them signing letters of intent which marries and the player to the school and vice-versa. The school would not be allowed to talk about them if they hadn’t. Also, USC might be interested but it’s illegal for them to speak to Marist while he is in a scholarship agreement with ND. He’d need to enter the transfer portal and if he did, it would reek of tampering by USC. I think even with Asa Turner & Isaiah Foskey potentially coming (that would get to 90), 5 more guys will leave the program. There are a ton of DB’s who are at their make or break point of playing or not in their career and many other dudes who haven’t seen significant burn (Javon McKinley, Isaiah Robertson, Darnell Ewell, Kofi Wardlow, Jon Jones, Drew White, Jeremiah O Koramoah, and Devin Studstill).
                                                                      The second Marist attends his first class at a prep school (if he does), he's open game and the NLI is nullified.

Also, nothing is guaranteed. It's a violation to promise a scholarship down the road (or at least it used to be). Now we all know they are going to end up on scholarship but I believe it still has to be a universal assumption rather than a stated fact unless the rules have changed. Did BK ever say they were promised scholarships in his pressers? I didn't see any of them. Maybe I'm off on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                                                        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Despite a rumor going around, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> linebacker Marist Liufau made it clear today to <a href="https://twitter.com/bangulo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@bangulo</a> that he signed his NLI on Dec. 19 for many reasons and no matter when the time comes, he only wants to play college ball for the Fighting Irish. <a href="https://t.co/wNI6QdwFtd">https://t.co/wNI6QdwFtd</a><a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@247Sports</a> <a href="https://t.co/swt7oM47kN">pic.twitter.com/swt7oM47kN</a></p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/1086083994133909506?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 18, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                        The II podcast went more into it, but essentially, JD Bertrand and Marist Liufau are scholarships #87 & 88 right now. I donít know which one is first in line, but essentially they will get scholarships when the come available. Either they move to South Bend in mid-June 2019 or January 2020. They are guaranteed scholarships at ND by virtue of them signing letters of intent which marries and the player to the school and vice-versa. The school would not be allowed to talk about them if they hadnít. Also, USC might be interested but itís illegal for them to speak to Marist while he is in a scholarship agreement with ND. Heíd need to enter the transfer portal and if he did, it would reek of tampering by USC. I think even with Asa Turner & Isaiah Foskey potentially coming (that would get to 90), 5 more guys will leave the program. There are a ton of DBís who are at their make or break point of playing or not in their career and many other dudes who havenít seen significant burn (Javon McKinley, Isaiah Robertson, Darnell Ewell, Kofi Wardlow, Jon Jones, Drew White, Jeremiah O Koramoah, and Devin Studstill).
                                                                        Eddie Vanderdoesn't says hello.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                          The second Marist attends his first class at a prep school (if he does), he's open game and the NLI is nullified.

Also, nothing is guaranteed. It's a violation to promise a scholarship down the road (or at least it used to be). Now we all know they are going to end up on scholarship but I believe it still has to be a universal assumption rather than a stated fact unless the rules have changed. Did BK ever say they were promised scholarships in his pressers? I didn't see any of them. Maybe I'm off on this?
                                                                          A National Letter of Intent is signed by a college-bound student-athlete agreeing to attend a Division I or II college for one academic year. Participating colleges agree to provide financial aid for one academic year to the student-athlete as long as the student-athlete is admitted to the school and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. Other forms of financial aid do not guarantee the student-athlete financial aid.

The National Letter of Intent is voluntary and not required for a student-athlete to receive financial aid or participate in sports.

Signing a National Letter of Intent ends the recruiting process because participating schools are prohibited from recruiting student-athletes who have already signed letters with other participating schools.

A student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent but decides to attend another college may request a release from his or her contract with the school. If a student-athlete signs a National Letter of Intent with one school but attends a different school, he or she loses one full year of eligibility and must complete a full academic year at the new school before being eligible to compete.
                                                                          It's just a two sentence summary of the school's commitment, and therefore short on detail, but it certainly sounds like ND has obligated itself to the student. I just can't tell what the outlines of that obligation are if there are more than 85 scholarship kids attached to football.

Comment

• II podcast also mentioned there are transfers the staff is expecting, the individual players just haven't chosen to announce them yet.

Comment

This and/or if they just deny his enrollment for first semester. Either the previous post misunderstood what II was saying or II doesn't quite grasp the details.

Comment

• just earned his 4th star per 247

Comment

• Greyshirting a 4*. We Bama now, kids.

Comment

• #384 overall. Should probably still be higher. I hope he's on campus in June.

Comment

• Think ND gives a scholarship to Marist since Turner went to Washington?

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                                                        Think ND gives a scholarship to Marist since Turner went to Washington?
                                                                                        It's gonna depend on how many players decide to hit the road after Spring practice, most likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                                                          I don't know why, but I love how the ND logo goes with Hawaiin vibe. I think its just how well the colors go with everything else around. The deep blue of the ocean, the gold of the sun, and the green of all the plant life. It just seems like its perfectly placed there.
                                                                                          Makes sense. Sorta like how the Sox black & white catches that whole prison uniform vibe.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                                                            I don't know why, but I love how the ND logo goes with Hawaiin vibe. I think its just how well the colors go with everything else around. The deep blue of the ocean, the gold of the sun, and the green of all the plant life. It just seems like its perfectly placed there.
                                                                                            like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                                                                              like this?
                                                                                              All of ND's recruits come from the wrong side of the Bay to use that flag.

Comment

Makes sense. Sorta like how the Sox black & white catches that whole prison uniform vibe.
                                                                                                Woah woah woah Crus!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                Working...
                                                                                                X