Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'19 HI ATH Marist Liufau (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not questioning his potential as I have very little information on Liufau, but could someone who has seen film explain why we should be excited by a recruit who is rated as a 3 Star this late in the recruiting cycle?

If he is the equal of Asa Turner, as some have said, and a potential linebacker/safety why is he rated so low? He has a few west coast offers, but what else could we expect out of this recruit?

Comment

No, don’t be excited, 3 stars are never any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
        No, donít be excited, 3 stars are never any good.
        I wasn't being critical of him at all. I was asking for an explanation as to why we are showing interest at such a late date. What does he bring to the team? He may be under-rated. If so, why should he be getting more attention? Speed? Coverage skills? What?

Comment

Originally posted by EddytoNow View Post
          I wasn't being critical of him at all. I was asking for an explanation as to why we are showing interest at such a late date. What does he bring to the team? He may be under-rated. If so, why should he be getting more attention? Speed? Coverage skills? What?
          They've been recruiting him for a long time. It's odd it was never more public than it is right now until you factor in their pursuit of Turner and maybe they've come to a crossroads with him. Their goal to add a Rover to this class has obviously been a priority all along. As to your questions on what he brings? He's a converted CB to S to LB to ROLB. He's done all the things a Rover is expected to do and he has Alohi Gilman's Dad's approval... who trains a lot of the HI DB's.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
            They've been recruiting him for a long time. It's odd it was never more public than it is right now until you factor in their pursuit of Turner and maybe they've come to a crossroads with him. Their goal to add a Rover to this class has obviously been a priority all along. As to your questions on what he brings? He's a converted CB to S to LB to ROLB. He's done all the things a Rover is expected to do and he has Alohi Gilman's Dad's approval... who trains a lot of the HI DB's.
            Thank you for providing the additional information. I didn't realize he had been recruited by ND for a long time. I was under the impression he was a recent offer that hadn't been noticed by any school that wasn't on the west coast.

One further question, I've seen conflicting reports on his weight. One says 200 lb. (247, I believe) Another recent article on a USC site listed him as a 6'2" and 175 lb. cornerback when he committed recently. So, how much does he weigh and what is the thinking on his potential for adding more weight to reach linebacker size? Or are we recruiting him as a defensive back?

Comment

Originally posted by EddytoNow View Post
              Thank you for providing the additional information. I didn't realize he had been recruited by ND for a long time. I was under the impression he was a recent offer that hadn't been noticed by any school that wasn't on the west coast.

One further question, I've seen conflicting reports on his weight. One says 200 lb. (247, I believe) Another recent article on a USC site listed him as a 6'2" and 175 lb. cornerback when he committed recently. So, how much does he weigh and what is the thinking on his potential for adding more weight to reach linebacker size? Or are we recruiting him as a defensive back?
              I'd put him at 6-2/195+ which puts him right in the Rover sweet spot. Definitely recruiting him at Rover. For ND, He's Asa Turner's Plan B.

Comment

Thanks again. Here's to hoping he has a good visit despite the weather.

Comment

Offered per Blair Angulo

Liufau breaks down ND official visit

Marist Liufau had established a steady dialogue with Notre Dame for several months and gotten a good feel for the coaches, so last weekend's trip to South Bend was certainly highly anticipated.

The three-star defender from Honolulu Punahou School was hosted by fellow Hawaiians Alohi Gilman and Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa during the weekend and told 247Sports that his official visit to campus was memorable as Liufau returned home with a scholarship offer from the Fighting Irish.

"The Notre Dame visit was definitely something special," Liufau told 247Sports. "I can surely say that experiencing Notre Dame first-hand assured me that it lives up to its big name. The thing that stood out to me the most was the rich history that the University of Notre Dame holds. Coach Brian Polian discussed everything with me and my family involving my scholarship offer. It really meant a lot to my parents and me to be able to be there.

"I talked about their defense with coach Clark Lea. He really sees me playing at the linebacker position and I think this is where I will fit best in the next level and I know that I will grow into the linebacker position."
                  Last edited by IrishLax; 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM. Reason: more at link

Comment

Odd that he would retweet Alaka'i's tweets yesterday but not his offer.

I wonder if his offer has an if or a stip attached to it right now?
                    Gotta have a stipulation. . . . hopefully he gets a ratings bump though.

Comment

Odd that he would retweet Alaka'i's tweets yesterday but not his offer.

I wonder if his offer has an if or a stip attached to it right now?
                      Loy's update doesn't seem to indicate there is a stipulation

Comment

Originally posted by Big23Head View Post
                        Loy's update doesn't seem to indicate there is a stipulation
                        I hope not. They obviously value a Rover this cycle above all else except an additional DE.
                        Since Turner isn't flipping, nail down the Flyin Hawaiian and get back to work on the '20's & '21's.

Comment

Loy with the CB
                          Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

ISD is suspiciously quiet about this. Often times when news seems to be slow coming out in obvious situations it means they are sitting on something.

My only question at this point is who shows up first... Dean-o or Dino?

Comment

--- OR -----

Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

Working...
                              X