2020-2021 Notre Dameís Menís Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020-2021 Notre Dameís Menís Basketball

I don't think anyone has made the thread yet?

Anyway, here's the schedule. Lord help us.

https://und.com/sports/mbball/schedule/

We better hope the transfers get their waivers or else it's definitely gonna be a long year. Even with the waivers approved, of those 7 OOC games, how does ND win more than 3?

MSU- L
    Western- W
    Tennessee- W/L
    OSU- L
    Kentucky- L
    Purdue- W/L
    Howard- W/L

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
      We better hope the transfers get their waivers or else it's definitely gonna be a long year. Even with the waivers approved, of those 7 OOC games, how does ND win more than 3?

MSU- L
      Western- W
      Tennessee- W/L
      OSU- L
      Kentucky- L
      Purdue- W/L
      Howard- W/L
      Western and Howard? *are they not on the schedule?* are the only two wins I see happening :(

With Taylor and Robby already out, I've got a bad feeling...Unless the 3 game steps up this year and we have some really, really hot games.
      Last edited by FightingIrishLover7; 11-11-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
        Western and Howard? *are they not on the schedule?* are the only two wins I see happening :(

With Taylor and Robby already out, I've got a bad feeling...Unless the 3 game steps up this year and we have some really, really hot games.
        Howard should be a gimme but I think ND might be that bad this year. They have one of the top freshman in Makur Maker at Center, which teams with a dominant center always give ND headaches. Also got a transfer from Purdue at PG who was a top 100 recruit. They were brutal last year but should make substantial improvements with those two additions.

Comment

Howard should be a gimme but I think ND might be that bad this year. They have one of the top freshman in Makur Maker at Center, which teams with a dominant center always give ND headaches. Also got a transfer from Purdue at PG who was a top 100 recruit. They were brutal last year but should make substantial improvements with those two additions.
          Missed Howard in middle of ACC play...

But yes, it's going to be a tough year and NDs rebounding has to be my biggest concern.

Comment

Missed Howard in middle of ACC play...

But yes, it's going to be a tough year and NDs rebounding has to be my biggest concern.
            If Wertz is approved, I don't think a starting 5 of Hubb, Wertz, Goodwin, Nate, and Durham is that bad actually. In fact, it might be the top half of the ACC. But there is absolutely zero depth behind it. Cormac as the 6th man. Djogo next? Sanders and Zona are going to get thrown into the fire early. And what if Wertz isn't approved? Yikes.

Comment

MSU- L
              Western- W
              Tennessee- W/L
              OSU- L
              Kentucky- L
              Purdue- W/L
              Howard- W/L
              What "transfers" are you referring to? The only one I know about is Wertz. Ryan is eligible, he sat out last year.

Unless there's a new big man coming in we're in deep do do inside. Wertz minght help at the wing, but I'd rather have a healthy Carmody.

Comment

MSU- L
                Western- W
                Tennessee- W/L
                OSU- L
                Kentucky- L
                Purdue- W/L
                Howard- W/L
                Well, I guess I'd rather play these teams early. I don't know much about Purdue, but Tennessee is the best team in that group, and even they are going to be integrating young talent into their roster. MSU, OSU, Kentucky, Purdue, and Tennessee are all going to be raw and integrating new players.

Hopefully having an older team helps us get a few of these. If we get two (more than likely OSU and Purdue), I'd be happy. I also wouldn't be surprised if we keep MSU really close.

Comment

Is Brey's seat at the very least warm? I feel like he had his chance for Notre Dame to take "the next step" as a program after the Grant/Connaughton/Jackson teams and has fallen flat on his face. Recruiting isn't where it needs to be to compete with the top of the ACC either.

Comment

Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                    Is Brey's seat at the very least warm? I feel like he had his chance for Notre Dame to take "the next step" as a program after the Grant/Connaughton/Jackson teams and has fallen flat on his face. Recruiting isn't where it needs to be to compete with the top of the ACC either.
                    Agree.........I think Brey's time is done. Wouldn't be surprised if he steps down (voluntarily or encouraged to) after this year.

Comment

Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                      Really, really don't see anything happening this year given Covid/schedule/etc.

Next year will be the real test. Should be a very good team once all the transfers are good to go, plus some vets. If he doesn't pull off next year I could see him retiring. He's always had a TV persona, could see him doing that (assuming he has interest).

Comment

Really, really don't see anything happening this year given Covid/schedule/etc.

Next year will be the real test. Should be a very good team once all the transfers are good to go, plus some vets. If he doesn't pull off next year I could see him retiring. He's always had a TV persona, could see him doing that (assuming he has interest).
                        I agree with this. I think he gets a pass this year. Next year we will have 4 seniors on starting lineup. You have to win with that kind of lineup. If that dosent happen then I think itís time.

I love brey and always have. The past couple years he has had trouble it seems to grow his players. Seems like we are just stuck. Recruiting isnít going so well either.

Idk who we would be able to get or who we would even be able to go after

Comment

I go into every year hoping that this team can be great but this year and with the schedule idk if we will win 15 this year. It’s gonna suck

Comment

Brey has this year and next and then I think he moves on from coaching. His best recruiting class ever are juniors right now. They've largely underperformed but that's nothing new. He will only lose Durham and Djogo after this year. If the juniors take that growth step and he can get a couple of grad transfers, Brey might have one last hurrah.

Comment

I almost feel bad for Pitt, then I remember who their coach is.

And I smile.

Comment

Well I guess we will find out a lot tonight of what this team is capable of.
                                Wertz traveled but isn’t eligible to play yet.
                                This is the best time to get at Mstate cause they haven’t had time to gel yet and we are and older team that have been playing together for 3 years.
                                Could be a good win tonight

Comment

Man is their length just killing us.

Comment

Think I read something somewhere saying that this was clearly Hubb's team. Maybe that's not such a good thing lol

Comment

Same shit different year. Love getting invested to just be extremely disappointed

Comment

Feed Durham, he turns it over or gets a shot blocked, repeat. He is utterly horrible on offense. Not sure what this game plan hoped to accomplish.

Comment

Brey was on the hot seat then coached his ass off for 3 seasons. Now he is basically unfireable and coaches like it.

Comment

Hubb is not a good player....and an awful point guard.

It is confusing, because when you watch him move around out there you get the feeling he is a good a player....but when it comes down to decision making he is awful.

Brey hitched his wagon to him, and based on recruiting rankings I cannot blame him...but man his tenure at point guard for this program has/is going to set us back for years.

Comment

Originally posted by CTIDANDREW View Post
                                              Hubb is not a good player....and an awful point guard.

It is confusing, because when you watch him move around out there you get the feeling he is a good a player....but when it comes down to decision making he is awful.

Brey hitched his wagon to him, and based on recruiting rankings I cannot blame him...but man his tenure at point guard for this program has/is going to set us back for years.
                                              I don't think that's fair. He's struggled today, sure. But he really played pretty well down the stretch last year, even won us a few games.

Playing MSU, a team with such length on the perimeter, is causing him fits as well.

They look like a confident group. Just really got out played.

Comment

This is straight up embarrassing

Comment

Unless Mstate is just really good I don’t see how we can win any of the non conference games

We are gonna get obliterated every game

Comment

We suck again.
                                                    Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

Recruiting matters

It would help if Brey actually put some effort into it.

Comment

I am not watching the game tonight. I said it last year and I’ll say it again now. I am not sure who would come coach here with the restrictions but Brey has been treading water and it’s only a matter of time before the ship sinks.
                                                        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

I followed a little bit off and on. Was hard to watch in the 1H.

When you're 3pt % is higher than your FG %, you might have a problem.

35%... ouch.
                                                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Watched the first half. It seemed like once MSU figured out our offense, nobody knew what to do. Most of these guys are three years in. Our offense should be much more dynamic then what was out there tonight. Disappointing by everyone involved.
                                                            Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Originally posted by TP81989 View Post
                                                              Recruiting matters

It would help if Brey actually put some effort into it.
                                                              Prentiss Hubb: Four-Star #18 SG
                                                              Dane Goodwin: Four-Star #19 SG
                                                              Cormac Ryan: Four-Star #8 CG
                                                              Juwan Durham: Four-Star #14 PF
                                                              Nate Laszekski: Four-Star #14 PF

The thing is, based strictly on recruiting rankings, that's probably the most highly touted lineup in Notre Dame history.

Comment

Notre Dame gave Mike Brey a ten-year extension in 2012, through 2022. Have they extended him since then?

Comment

Originally posted by Woneone View Post
                                                                  I don't think that's fair. He's struggled today, sure. But he really played pretty well down the stretch last year, even won us a few games.

Playing MSU, a team with such length on the perimeter, is causing him fits as well.

They look like a confident group. Just really got out played.
                                                                  Well...

Hubb isn't good in a lead role. He's a fine role-player. Be a distributor, defensive pest. Hit open jumpers. But even in the first half of this one, he's taken at least 3 shots without making a single pass (one was to get a 2 for 1, I know). And that's in me watching for about 10 minutes.

Laz is our best player right now, and I'm not sure it's close. Ryan looks like he will be pretty good (he just looks confident).

I'm going to hold judgement until about 2 more games. Hopefully Carmody gets back soon (6-8 weeks since the end of September was the recovery time). Maybe Wertz gets a waiver. Because, I'd like to see a line-up that doesn't include Hubb as a focal point.

Comment

Good effort, especially being undermanned (both by injury and awful recruiting balance).

- Hubb would be a good lead point guard, but not a good "best" player. He still struggles off the dribble and finishing. Really gave the Davis kids fits today. I feel so much better when he shoots a shot off a pass, or when his defender dips completely under a screen (but for that to happen, they have to respect other action).

- Goodwin looks like the same player, maybe a bit more aggressive. But I haven't seen any improvement.

- Juwan Durham is the shortest 6'10 guy in history on offense. Love having him as an anchor on defense. He'll make a really good post pass to make me think him and Laz can play together, than have 2 bad passes and a horrible fade-away shot.

- Ryan looks like a good lead guard. Plays hard. Pretty decent defensively. Rebounds.

- Of the freshman, I really like Saunders (spelling?). He's got some spring. A pretty big frame. You can tell he's basically got the "Don't do anything dumb on offense" speech, as he looks really gunshy. But he could really turn into a player. Zona looks a bit smaller than I expected, but willing to bang.

I fully expect us to play only 1 big the majority of the time when Carmody/Wertz/Djogo get 2 of the 3 back. We can't play both and be a good offensive team.

Djogo isn't playing Against OSU per Brey. That could really suck.

Comment

roster's lack of depth is glaring. Durham and Laz probably hit career highs in minutes last night (30 and 36, respectively). Maybe Zona will be a factor this year but he looked like he wasn't ready last night.

Taylor had surgery and is out for the year. Big loss, he would have been a much needed 3rd big this year. As it stands we're going to have to use either Zona, Saunders or Djogo in that role.

Comment

I think we would win this game if you could only play your Best five. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Comment

Not having Wertz is crushing. A crime the NCAA hasn’t approved yet

Comment

I know the Michigan State game went South. I get it. But man if we had Carmody and Wertz, I would feel pretty decent about this team. Give me Djogo and one of them and I think we could play with teams.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Woneone View Post
                                                                              I know the Michigan State game went South. I get it. But man if we had Carmody and Wertz, I would feel pretty decent about this team. Give me Djogo and one of them and I think we could play with teams.
                                                                              Yeah this team is solid despite the lack of depth at the moment. Durham still plays soft for his size but is beginning to play a bit tougher. Ryan reminds me of Ben Hansbrough a little.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Nice play by Goodwin there.
                                                                                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                                                                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Yeah this team is solid despite the lack of depth at the moment. Durham still plays soft for his size but is beginning to play a bit tougher. Ryan reminds me of Ben Hansbrough a little.
                                                                                  I have a lot of respect for him after getting jacked in the face. Officiating has been pretty nonexistent in this game, which is fine, except for on calls on him.

Missing three guys is going to kill us late. But, you can see where this team might go.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    These officials are just determined not to blow the whistle. The announcer just said he knocked him off balance when he’s in the air going for an offense of rebound. The fuck.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      And my biggest pet peeve as it comes to college basketball. Now the refs have decided to call bump fouls. They have changed the way they are officiating with eight minutes to go in the second half. That last call benefited us, but it was not a foul. Not based on how they’ve officiated this game.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        And again.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          And another.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            This shit is infuriating.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Two missed front end of A one and one. Got to make those. Although, they were from guys that had played basically the entire game.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Crazy to think that even just Djogo would be making a big difference today.

I think Zona will be a good player but isn’t there yet

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Love the fact that the kid that is the difference probably would have been thrown out if they would’ve reviewed that elbow to the face of Durham.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    This team is so frustrating the past 3 years it’s unbelievable

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X