2020-2021 Notre Dameís Menís Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
    I am really happy I was busy and couldn't watch the game last night. Brey has got to go.
    And he won't. And Jack won't make him, which really pisses me off. If you read the interview 247 did with Jack a few days ago there's no doubt where he's coming from. Jack is treating MBB like he would Lacrosse or Soccer; giving the coach a ton of rope. He needs to treat it more like FB.

So unless Brey pulls a Muffet and decides its over we are stuck with him. I don't see that happening. He wants to coach this year's Jrs as Srs as if he's suddenly going to make an impact.

Last night was another example of Brey's failure to match wits with opposing coaches. They put a small, quick man on Laz and his solution was...to bench Laz. JFC.

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post

And he won't. And Jack won't make him, which really pisses me off. If you read the interview 247 did with Jack a few days ago there's no doubt where he's coming from. Jack is treating MBB like he would Lacrosse or Soccer; giving the coach a ton of rope. He needs to treat it more like FB.

So unless Brey pulls a Muffet and decides its over we are stuck with him. I don't see that happening. He wants to coach this year's Jrs as Srs as if he's suddenly going to make an impact.

Last night was another example of Brey's failure to match wits with opposing coaches. They put a small, quick man on Laz and his solution was...to bench Laz. JFC.
      How many coaches has Jack fired? Baseball?

Comment

• Brey needs to go out and get more players like Hansbrough, Grant, Connaughton, Colson, Farrell. This junior class is very overrated.

Comment

• I'm out. Watching them play BC is just pathetic. We have 6 fouls to their 1. And it's legit. We are lazy on defense, and would rather shoot a transition 3 than actually force the defense to move.

Brey has lost his way. I'd love for our "media" to ask him - What is our identity? On offense? On defense? As a team? Who are we trying to be? Because we suck on defense, our offense is, at best, touch and go, and the effort some of these guys give possession to possession is abhorent.

I'm done. Turned it off.

Comment

• Absolutely atrocious display of basketball.

Comment

• I hope that peacock of an AD is watching. Wake the F up jack

Comment

• I’ve always advocated for brey to stay. This is a new low. Extreme low. Embarrassing low. With this veteran team you can’t lose to a 3-13 team who was missing 3 starters and fired their coach recently. Fing joke.

Bye brey

Comment

• Yea, he gone.

no way you can keep him around right now. Hopefully they can keep the team together.

Comment

• If Brey leaves....

I'm guessing you see Laz playing at Wisconsin or Marquette next year. 6'10 guy that can shoot but has apparently received no coaching outside of "FLARE" is an interesting piece.

Goodwin will be here. There isn't a horizontal move for him to make. Everything would be mid-major.

Hubb would be interesting. He really played well (for the most part) down the stretch yesterday, other than apparently losing the ability to play defense. Remember when we had a closed door scrimmage with UC and everyone there talked about how much of a pest he was going to be on defense? Good times.

I hope Wertz and Ryan stay. They could be pieces, but aren't as invested in the program.

I *think* you'll see a huge amount of turnover next year all around the country. If I'm a new coach that comes in, I may have a long, hard conversation with Carmody. Use any available scholarships on incoming transfers, and there well a large amount of them available.

It's just shocking to see the lack of development in the last 3 years.

Comment

• These last few seasons, every time they would show a glimmer of hope with a winning streak &/or a win over a better team; they followed it up by driving the bus back into the ditch. I think it’s in the best interest of everyone involved that the program make a change. On paper, next season looks like an NCAA tournament team with one of the most experienced rosters in the ACC returning. If Brey is HC, they’ll find a way to not make the tourney. Time to rip off the band-aid.

Comment

• RUMOR: Mike Brey is out. ND is actively looking for a new coach behind the scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                          RUMOR: Mike Brey is out. ND is actively looking for a new coach behind the scenes.
                          Wow. Would like to see the names on the wish list.

Comment

• Same here. Optimistic they can find a good coach that’ll be excited about this roster

Comment

• Is this a true rumor?

Comment

• Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                Is this a true rumor?
                                I can say with absolute certainty that ND is actively looking for a coach right now, and that people inside the athletic department say the plan is for him to retire at the end of the season. Allegedly, he was set to retire last year but had a change of heart after losing the season to COVID.

Comment

I can say with absolute certainty that ND is actively looking for a coach right now, and that people inside the athletic department say the plan is for him to retire at the end of the season. Allegedly, he was set to retire last year but had a change of heart after losing the season to COVID.
                                  The whole "planned to retire but had a change of heart" thing never seems to pan out for anyone. It has to be nearly impossible to get yourself back all in after having a foot out the door, and that's the kind of feeling you get watching games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post

The whole "planned to retire but had a change of heart" thing never seems to pan out for anyone. It has to be nearly impossible to get yourself back all in after having a foot out the door, and that's the kind of feeling you get watching games this year.
                                    After flirting with retirement last year, it's been said that Brey's new timeline is seeing the current junior class finish their careers... that means giving him one more season after this one.

Worst case scenario is that JS doesn't like any of the available options and gives Brey his wish, then JS has to try and hire a new coach for the 2022-2023 season with a completely depleted roster. Maybe that would be attractive to a mid-major coach with a good resume that doesn't mind bringing in a bunch of short-term transfers while undertaking a more broad rebuilding project... but I don't know who such a coach would be lol

Comment

• I'd be good with Porter Moser Loyola Chicago.
                                      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post

Agree. How do you regain that enthusiasm and maintain it through the grind?

Comment

Well good and maybe a year too late but hopefully we get a coach that lights a fire on this team

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Agree. How do you regain that enthusiasm and maintain it through the grind?
                                            The answer is obviously - you don't. Best news I have seen in a while - I pray it is true. New coach not exactly rebuilding here - good base to work from if you ask me. I would think this is a fairly attractive job at this point. New facilities, big name, ACC, low expectations of just making tourney consistently to stay as long as you want.

Comment

The answer is obviously - you don't. Best news I have seen in a while - I pray it is true. New coach not exactly rebuilding here - good base to work from if you ask me. I would think this is a fairly attractive job at this point. New facilities, big name, ACC, low expectations of just making tourney consistently to stay as long as you want.
                                              This should be a pretty attractive job. The good news is if you can land one stud each year and a couple of very good players you can vie for a conference title and make the tournament pretty much every year.

Comment

The complicating factor is going to be that there is expected to be a LOT of competition for basketball coaches this year. Basically, no one fired anyone last year because of COVID, so there will be almost double the vacancies of a normal year.

Comment

• Another fine start for the Irish....

Comment

• That was the worst 5 mins of college basketball I’ve watched in a long time.
                                                    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Aggressive Hubb is best Hubb. I'm cool with you shooting a few more outside jumpers if he attacks like he has the last few games.

Goodwin needs to get his head out of his ass. He plays absolutely zero defense. None. If he's just going to turn the ball over every time he touches it, he can't play. Play Sanders. Kid doesn't know what the hell he's doing, but he plays hard.

Comment

• Braxton Beverly can guard Nate in the post. That is legit fucking embarrassing. They did this last year as well. Mike Brey should be ashamed at the progression of his players. Legit embarrassed.

Comment

• Why do you guys continue to watch these games? I gave up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                            Why do you guys continue to watch these games? I gave up.
                                                            Because we like to be miserable

Comment

• We have so many guys that can't guard. Goodwin, Laz, Hubb when he isn't interested. Wertz is so-so. Durham blocks shots, but gives up deep position way to easily.

I'll tell myself I'm done watching, but I'll continue to do so, mainly because I keep hoping against hope.

But, I'm not sure I've disliked a Notre Dame team as much as this one. They are just so hard to watch. They run some awful offense at times. They're defense is atrocious. They aren't athletic. Their spacing, for an ND team is pretty bad (watch when Wertz and Hubb play together. They are right on top of each other way to often).

This is a poorly coached, poorly constructed team. Even if we come back and win this, and beat FSU, that won't change.

Comment

• You'd think Brey realizes this, but apparently he doesn't. If the other team plays small, we HAVE TO go small. Why? Because Playing Laz and Durham together means that Laz has to guard a guard. He can barely keep in front of his shadow. On offense, you can guard him with, apparently, a 5'10 guard. You gain nothing on the offensive end, and are basically a faucet on defense. It doesn't work. It will not work.

Oh, but I forgot, because of recruiting, you don't have a single power forward that plays like it on the roster. You debatably don't have any small forwards.

I can believe that has to be said out loud.

The BC game was awful, but I'd literally use this game as "How not to guard ball screens" in an instructional series.

Edit: Came out of the timeout with Djogo at the 4. And promptly switched a ball screen and Laz gave up a jumper. Incredible.

Comment

• I guess the students were chanting Fire Brey.

Last edited by ab2cmiller; 03-20-2021, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I guess the students were chanting Fire Brey.

https://twitter.com/NDHoopsRecruits/...93933932412931
                                                                    At the press after the game he said it was warranted and it should be on him.

I think he knows he’s done after this year. The way his mannerism is right now

Comment

• Yep, Brey is done and he knows it. Bring in a young, firey guy who can recruit IMO. Next year should be a strong team that will help boost that recruiting.

Comment

• About the only enjoyable thing left to do is speculate about the next coach.

The hire that never will happen....Monty Williams. ND is just a few years too later here. But what he has done with the Suns has been great.
                                                                        The hire that will not happen unless somehow the stars magically align - Jon Beilein. He is the Bob Stoops candidate IMO. Big name. Big opportunity. But it just won't happen.
                                                                        The hire that will be considered, but shouldn't - Martin Ingelsby - He had UD coming around and showed promise over the last 4 years. But this year was a step back and even at his best, he finished no higher than 4th in conference. This would be a pretty lackluster hire IMO.
                                                                        The hire that will be considered and should be considered - Chris Quinn. He always played smart and was someone who "got it". Concern will be that he has not been around college ball as a coach, but I am sure he has learned a fair bit from his time playing with Brey and his time with the Heat. I would consider him a solid choice.
                                                                        The hire that should be considered but probably won't be - Jon Scheyer. There is probably a thinking that there is no way he would leave Duke at this point, and that thinking could be right. But I would throw some serious money at him. I think he is going to be a great one. The players he has coached have loved him and the guy is a fantastic recruiter. I hate Duke and Coach K as much as the next guy, but he is a bright spot that I would pour resources into getting.
                                                                        The Matt Doherty candidate - Wes Miller. Dude has done some fantastic things at UNCG. He is on pace to have his 3rd 1st place finish in conference in the last 5 years and and hasn't finished worse than 3rd during that time span. The worry here would be that he could become the target for UNC once Roy is gone. This would be a big battle to get him, but would be worth every penny IMO.
                                                                        The guy I would be happy with but others might not be - Bob Richey. He hasn't been able to get over the conference hump yet, but he has been outstanding IMO.

In the end, I hope it's Wes Miller, though there is likely to be a bidding war there. But I am not sure which way Jack will go here. It was clear that when Muffet was out of the picture there was a clear path for an ex assistant to come in. Now, Coach Ivey was well known and obviously had the backing of Muffet. I am sure that was the plan for some time. Has there been a similar plan in place with Brey? If so, that would point to Martin Ingelsby, which I would be lukewarm at best with. I think the program needs some fresh blood. My hope is that Jack handles this in the same fashion as the Freeman hire. Go get your guy and don't let anyone stand in your way. I hope that guy is Miller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                          About the only enjoyable thing left to do is speculate about the next coach.

The hire that never will happen....Monty Williams. ND is just a few years too later here. But what he has done with the Suns has been great.
                                                                          The hire that will not happen unless somehow the stars magically align - Jon Beilein. He is the Bob Stoops candidate IMO. Big name. Big opportunity. But it just won't happen.
                                                                          The hire that will be considered, but shouldn't - Martin Ingelsby - He had UD coming around and showed promise over the last 4 years. But this year was a step back and even at his best, he finished no higher than 4th in conference. This would be a pretty lackluster hire IMO.
                                                                          The hire that will be considered and should be considered - Chris Quinn. He always played smart and was someone who "got it". Concern will be that he has not been around college ball as a coach, but I am sure he has learned a fair bit from his time playing with Brey and his time with the Heat. I would consider him a solid choice.
                                                                          The hire that should be considered but probably won't be - Jon Scheyer. There is probably a thinking that there is no way he would leave Duke at this point, and that thinking could be right. But I would throw some serious money at him. I think he is going to be a great one. The players he has coached have loved him and the guy is a fantastic recruiter. I hate Duke and Coach K as much as the next guy, but he is a bright spot that I would pour resources into getting.
                                                                          The Matt Doherty candidate - Wes Miller. Dude has done some fantastic things at UNCG. He is on pace to have his 3rd 1st place finish in conference in the last 5 years and and hasn't finished worse than 3rd during that time span. The worry here would be that he could become the target for UNC once Roy is gone. This would be a big battle to get him, but would be worth every penny IMO.
                                                                          The guy I would be happy with but others might not be - Bob Richey. He hasn't been able to get over the conference hump yet, but he has been outstanding IMO.

In the end, I hope it's Wes Miller, though there is likely to be a bidding war there. But I am not sure which way Jack will go here. It was clear that when Muffet was out of the picture there was a clear path for an ex assistant to come in. Now, Coach Ivey was well known and obviously had the backing of Muffet. I am sure that was the plan for some time. Has there been a similar plan in place with Brey? If so, that would point to Martin Ingelsby, which I would be lukewarm at best with. I think the program needs some fresh blood. My hope is that Jack handles this in the same fashion as the Freeman hire. Go get your guy and don't let anyone stand in your way. I hope that guy is Miller.
                                                                          Great post. To be honest, I like the idea of Chris Quinn as coach. I think a call has to at least be made to Porter Moser at Loyola Chicago.

Comment

• Whoever it is, I hope he’s a great recruiter. I suspect Jack already has a list of candidates in preparation for this.

Comment

• In fairness to Ingelsby, in his 5 years there, he's had both Daly (Saint Joe's) and Horton (Pitt) transfer up in competition, and Darling declare for the NBA draft.

At a school like Delaware, losing probably your 3 best players and still being what they are is a pretty good accomplishment.

Comment

• I like the idea of Chris Quinn. He’s young and I think he could be a really good recruiter

Comment

• Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                                                                  I like the idea of Chris Quinn. He’s young and I think he could be a really good recruiter
                                                                                  Quinn?
                                                                                  No way Jose
                                                                                  He's an NBA guy who is getting really close to landing an NBA HC job.

It's fun to dream about it but not happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

Quinn?
                                                                                    No way Jose

I wasn’t saying it was gonna happen but a guy can dream

Comment

I guess the students were chanting Fire Brey.

https://twitter.com/NDHoopsRecruits/...93933932412931
                                                                                      Yikes. First home game with fans other than parents all year and they are chanting that? Crazy to think that three weeks ago coming off the Duke win and having a 20 point lead in a game that would get them back to .500 would turn into this.

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

Quinn?
                                                                                        No way Jose

At hone point the same was said about Howard but he ended up back at scUM.

Comment

• I really wish they could have parlayed those Elite Eight appearances into something, but ultimately things fizzled out with this program since then. I'd like to think that Brey could go out on his own terms, but that's starting to look like it won't be possible. I don't know if he's back next year or not, but the chanting for him to be fired doesn't seem like something he deserves. Smells of entitled bullshit to me.

I don't know what Brey makes salary wise against his counterparts out there, but it would seem to me like there is a guy out there in his late 30s or early 40s who would take a look at this gig knowing it's Notre Dame and the ACC. I just don't know enough about who the viable candidates will be. Seems like the Duke assistants is a been there done that for everyone, and Brey was one of the first apples off of the tree. Being an ND grad is not, and should not, be a requirement. Chris Quinn certainly seems like an NBA guy. He spent pretty decent time as a player there and has been on the bench of a very good coach for some time now. I think he's a good hire for anyone, really.

Part of me feels that it is time for a change here, but that's as much as I have right now. Can't get specific as to who or what that change entails.
                                                                                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• We need someone who can recruit and show player development. This touted junior class is like a rollercoaster ride. If ND had the $ and I don't know if he is looking we should bring someone who used to coach in the state of Indiana; Brad Stevens??

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                                                              I really wish they could have parlayed those Elite Eight appearances into something, but ultimately things fizzled out with this program since then. I'd like to think that Brey could go out on his own terms, but that's starting to look like it won't be possible. I don't know if he's back next year or not, but the chanting for him to be fired doesn't seem like something he deserves. Smells of entitled bullshit to me.

I don't know what Brey makes salary wise against his counterparts out there, but it would seem to me like there is a guy out there in his late 30s or early 40s who would take a look at this gig knowing it's Notre Dame and the ACC. I just don't know enough about who the viable candidates will be. Seems like the Duke assistants is a been there done that for everyone, and Brey was one of the first apples off of the tree. Being an ND grad is not, and should not, be a requirement. Chris Quinn certainly seems like an NBA guy. He spent pretty decent time as a player there and has been on the bench of a very good coach for some time now. I think he's a good hire for anyone, really.

Part of me feels that it is time for a change here, but that's as much as I have right now. Can't get specific as to who or what that change entails.
                                                                                              ESPN put Brey in the "I'd be surprised category" on coaches hot seats.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/30989626/your-comprehensive-guide-2021-college-basketball-coaching-hot-seat

Mike Brey has been in South Bend for 21 seasons, is the school's all-time winningest coach and has guided the Fighting Irish to 12 NCAA tournament appearances. This will be their fourth straight year without dancing, but he has five juniors set to return plus the addition of Yale transfer Paul Atkinson. I think Brey gets one more year.
                                                                                              Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                                One more year.? Ugg

Comment

• that would just put off the rebuild by one year. Scribes often know zilch about these situations but i'm inclined to think jack will kick the can down the road for another year as well. and the same guys who tout all returning seniors as the reason to keep Brey will pick us to finish in the bottom of the acc because they've seen us play. Writers really don't have to make sense.

Noie's column yesterday actually tried to excuse our listless play due to COVID. our poor guys haven't seen their families since August. As if we're different from everyone alse.

Comment

• https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...ketball/coach/

I put this in here to see who we could realistically poach. Would ND pay over $3.5MM? Probably not. Mike Brey makes $2.5MM according to this.

Realistically from this list, I don't know who they could even poach. Maybe John Brannen at Cincy?

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                                                                      We need someone who can recruit and show player development. This touted junior class is like a rollercoaster ride. If ND had the $ and I don't know if he is looking we should bring someone who used to coach in the state of Indiana; Brad Stevens??
                                                                                                      I would love to grab Stevens and my gut feel is he will eventually come back to the collegiate ranks. I just don't think that time has come just yet. If Boston continues to play around .500 who knows? IU fans would love to get him.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X