Biden Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post
    You're old af. Also, those rent figures for Manhattan and San Fran are a lot lower than what get's advertised up here. We're told to be lucky we only pay $2,500 for a one bed room apartment in TO.

In terms of minimum wages an extremely simplified take - if you peg it to the state's CPI, you can help alleviate any concerns that powerhouse states like Texas/NY/CA are propping up costs in welfare states like NM that would cause the minimum wage hike to "destroy" businesses. Think Whiskey has probably got like 4 articles ready on this (although he doesn't understand the economy ;) )
    My knees and back remind me every day how old I am. ;)

Prices in NYC are goofy. Pre-pandemic, a cheap studio would run about 2K. A one bedroom probably 2.5K. Two beds, 2.5-3K. For cheap ones...keep in mind. San Fran might be different, not sure on that

Now prices for studios have dropped a lot. 1 and 2 bedrooms can be had for 2K. I think a lot of people left the city as their leases expired and are not coming back until their work is no longer remote, or perhaps they were going to leave at some point soon anyway and this just expedited their plans. NY probably isn't getting many folks moving in now, at least until the city is open for business, so in the meantime prices go way down.

If they want to use state CPI figures, I would not be nearly as opposed.
    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
      Because it works for monied interests. Labor gets in the country because it's frankly impossible to police a border like some assume we can. Labor can't organize so wages are suppressed. It works for labor because it's still better than Mexico since...it's not Mexico. It works for politicians because they can antagonize the takers and let people talk about the impending "collapse".

You'll know Congress is serious about stopping illegal immigration when they throw some corporate leaders in jail for hiring illegal immigrants. Until then it's all political theater and we'll "create some jobs" by building an ineffective wall.

Hey that's 10,000 + 201 damnit ;)
      It will be small town restaurants closed for hiring illegals or non-grata politicians or conservative moguls with an illegal nanny getting thrown in jail. Nancy Pelosi and Mitt Romney will never be worried about who is mowing their lawn or painting their large fence keeping out the unwashed masses - those servants will be protected from ICE and paid below minimum wage in cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
        My knees and back remind me every day how old I am. ;)

Prices in NYC are goofy. Pre-pandemic, a cheap studio would run about 2K. A one bedroom probably 2.5K. Two beds, 2.5-3K. For cheap ones...keep in mind. San Fran might be different, not sure on that

Now prices for studios have dropped a lot. 1 and 2 bedrooms can be had for 2K. I think a lot of people left the city as their leases expired and are not coming back until their work is no longer remote, or perhaps they were going to leave at some point soon anyway and this just expedited their plans. NY probably isn't getting many folks moving in now, at least until the city is open for business, so in the meantime prices go way down.

If they want to use state CPI figures, I would not be nearly as opposed.
        I think CPI figures would be best, because otherwise it's just one side giving arbitrary numbers that are bound to be politicized in one way or another. People should be most concerned about spending their money on the goods in the CPI, so if the CPI goes up the min wage should follow it.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02ciYFzTHw

LOL - Minimum wage is racist. It is a historical fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
            It will be small town restaurants closed for hiring illegals or non-grata politicians or conservative moguls with an illegal nanny getting thrown in jail. Nancy Pelosi and Mitt Romney will never be worried about who is mowing their lawn or painting their large fence keeping out the unwashed masses - those servants will be protected from ICE and paid below minimum wage in cash.
            Or the chicken processing facilities with hundreds. Just saying, when white collar employers get the jail sentences then I'll believe the government actually cares about stopping illegal immigration.

Comment

• If the Dow closes where it's at today, it'll a record high.

Joe Biden = America's greatest economic President?

Comment

• Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post

Joe Biden is America's greatest economic President.
                FIFY
                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Federal govt thinking they need to update the minimum wage for all 50 states is the dumbest.

So no surprise here.

Comment

• Sign me up for a national mimimum wage of $10.00.

Comment

You're old af. Also, those rent figures for Manhattan and San Fran are a lot lower than what get's advertised up here. We're told to be lucky we only pay $2,500 for a one bed room apartment in TO.

In terms of minimum wages an extremely simplified take - if you peg it to the state's CPI, you can help alleviate any concerns that powerhouse states like Texas/NY/CA are propping up costs in welfare states like NM that would cause the minimum wage hike to "destroy" businesses. Think Whiskey has probably got like 4 articles ready on this (although he doesn't understand the economy ;) )
                      I had to read this twice but I think we agree. What makes sense in NY doesn't always make sense in NM. State CPI set it and forget it.

I always like giving states more control and moving it away from DC.
                      Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                        I had to read this twice but I think we agree. What makes sense in NY doesn't always make sense in NM. State CPI set it and forget it.

I always like giving states more control and moving it away from DC.
                        100%, I think the goal should be to get to a place where no matter the state someone who's working 50 hours a week isn't completely screwed. No magic wand for this but there needs to be a metric that it gets pegged to so that in 20 years no one looks back goes "Why hasn't the minimum wage changed?"

Comment

100%, I think the goal should be to get to a place where no matter the state someone who's working 50 hours a week isn't completely screwed. No magic wand for this but there needs to be a metric that it gets pegged to so that in 20 years no one looks back goes "Why hasn't the minimum wage changed?"
                          The minimum wage is a floor. The market has generally moved ahead of minimum wage anyways. Most of the now hiring signs I see here in Indiana are 10-15/hr anyways.
                          Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                            The minimum wage is a floor. The market has generally moved ahead of minimum wage anyways. Most of the now hiring signs I see here in Indiana are 10-15/hr anyways.
                            Agreed. You could probably change minimum wage to $10 and it wouldn't really change much. Change it to $15 and you would likely see elimination of some jobs from the market as businesses try to get by with less workers.

Comment

• IDK about anywhere else but in Sac we have the $7.25 minimum wage but waiters and waitresses make only$2.50 per hour plus tips.
                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                IDK about anywhere else but in Sac we have the $7.25 minimum wage but waiters and waitresses make only$2.50 per hour plus tips.
                                Same deal here.
                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Working...
                                X