Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...o-lie-in-honor

because there was a campaign led by GOP lawmakers to give him a funeral befitting him. Pity conservative media had apparently better things to show their viewers last night
    I didn't have the TV on so it wouldn't have affected me. Would've likely changed the channel.
    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• enlightening ... ?
      (the television equivalent of "didn't read it.")

Comment

• We finally have a Homeland Security Director confirmed by the Senate - Alejandro Mayorkas - who has experience in the Dept, too.
        He follows Acting Secretary Chad Wolfe, who was proceeded by (Acting) Secr. Ken McAlleenan. Wolfe resigned prior to the Inauguration, and for the interim Biden replaced him with David Pekoske. Pekoske had been confirmed by the U.S. Senate as the Transportation Security Administration’s Secretary. Pekoske will act as Deputy Sec until his replacement can be confirmed by the Senate. His predecessor, (Acting) Deputy Sec was Ken Cuccinelli, who previously served as (Acting) Director and Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Director of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (ICE).

In the DHS leadership at this time, Trump holdovers are (Acting) Under Secretary, Management, Randolph D. "Tex" Alles, who is also filling the role of Deputy Under Secretary for Management. Alles was fired as head of Secret Service due to the Chinese woman entering the grounds at Mar-a-Lago and then put in the role at DHS months later without nomination to Congress.

Wolfe's directive on DACA were determined to be illegal and invalidated due to his role exceeding time by law. Cuccinelli served in two roles as Acting head prior to his Dep Secr role. Under Wolfe an annual report on domestic terrorism threat to the security of the U.S. was delayed, finally triggering an Inspector General whistleblower report to Congress. Trump had nominated Wolfe for DHS Secr after his regulations were invalidated, but then pulled his nomination after Inauguration Day and the Insurrection at the Capitol. That withdrawal occurred one after Wolfe said that "Any appearance of inciting violence by an elected official goes against who we are as Americans."

The last Homeland Security head that was confirmed through Congress's role to advise and consent was Kirsten Nielsen twenty-two months ago. Legally, appointees which require Senate approval can only serve in that capacity for nine months. Without that Advise and Consent, personnel were just moved around within the Dept from different sections.

The GAO also issued a report to Congress that Wolfe was in his position illegally.
        Upon Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen's resignation on April 10, 2019, the official who assumed the title of Acting Secretary had not been designated in the order of succession to serve upon the Secretary's resignation. Because the incorrect official assumed the title of Acting Secretary at that time, subsequent amendments to the order of succession made by that official were invalid and officials who assumed their positions under such amendments, including Chad Wolf and Kenneth Cuccinelli, were named by reference to an invalid order of succession
        DHS is the third largest Dept in the Executive Branch and in charge of Immigration, Terror threats to our democracy, countering weapons of mass destruction, TSA, FEMA, pandemic responses, interactions with private sectors and Congress and much more. When Wolfe was called before Congress in the spring to explain his Dept's response to the pandemic, he evidenced a lack of knowledge of that role and responsibilities.

Mayorkas was confirmed by the Senate with a 56-43 vote on Tuesday.
        Last edited by Legacy; 02-03-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
          Fox News has all but abandoned unbiased news and is now almost exclusively opinion infotainment.
          SHeP admits gave a great interview on this recently on why he left. I think there might be only one guy left that is unopinionated. Everything else is propaganda and outrage manufacturing.
          Megyn Kelly said she had more journalistic freedom at FOX than she did at NBC. Not saying this to prove a point either way because I dont have a dog in this fight but to just add to the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazers46 View Post
            Megyn Kelly said she had more journalistic freedom at FOX than she did at NBC. Not saying this to prove a point either way because I dont have a dog in this fight but to just add to the discussion.
            Not even sure what this means tbh. If Kelly has more "yeah fine say whatever you want" then that is *not* always a great thing.

One of my good friends works for CBS News in a position where he's on their national nightly news fairly frequently. We've chatted about "the media" a bunch and he's pretty quick to lay it all out that at the end of the day 1) it's a ratings game, 2) producers come and go, 3) different producers have different tolerances, 4) corporate bosses come and go, 5) corporate bosses' goals change, etc etc etc.

His view is most of the journalists went to the same schools (Syracuse, Northwestern, etc) and know each other and follow the same rigorous journalistic procedures, etc. If that always shines in a TV production after a producer gets their way is a totally different issue. If a network wants to turn more Left or Right because of a new corporate goal, that's a different issue too. For example there was a time when MSNBC wanted to go 9/10 liberal, now they're more like 7.5/10 liberal. He's also recognizes that all of this inconsistency rolls downhill (in part because networks dont announce when they're changing ratings strategies) and the everyday reporter is branded as slanted when that is not the case 95% of the time.

He interviewed at Fox News before taking the CBS News job and said they have, by far, the nicest facilities and pay the most. But he didn't like the interview and while they didn't show bias one way or the other, he just said something was "off" lol

Comment

• Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
              Not even sure what this means tbh. If Kelly has more "yeah fine say whatever you want" then that is *not* always a great thing.

One of my good friends works for CBS News in a position where he's on their national nightly news fairly frequently. We've chatted about "the media" a bunch and he's pretty quick to lay it all out that at the end of the day 1) it's a ratings game, 2) producers come and go, 3) different producers have different tolerances, 4) corporate bosses come and go, 5) corporate bosses' goals change, etc etc etc.

His view is most of the journalists went to the same schools (Syracuse, Northwestern, etc) and know each other and follow the same rigorous journalistic procedures, etc. If that always shines in a TV production after a producer gets their way is a totally different issue. If a network wants to turn more Left or Right because of a new corporate goal, that's a different issue too. For example there was a time when MSNBC wanted to go 9/10 liberal, now they're more like 7.5/10 liberal. He's also recognizes that all of this inconsistency rolls downhill (in part because networks dont announce when they're changing ratings strategies) and the everyday reporter is branded as slanted when that is not the case 95% of the time.

He interviewed at Fox News before taking the CBS News job and said they have, by far, the nicest facilities and pay the most. But he didn't like the interview and while they didn't show bias one way or the other, he just said something was "off" lol
              In the context of journalism she was saying she had more flexibility to report what she wanted. I guess it could be the same as “saying” what you want but “saying what you want” really isn’t journalism, which has been the criticism of MSM in general. She was specifically talking about having more flexibility on what stories she covered and what guests she could bring on. As opposed to NBC where she did not have as much. I miss my MSM crush on Megyn, her and Trumps feud made me like her even more.

Comment

In the context of journalism she was saying she had more flexibility to report what she wanted. I guess it could be the same as “saying” what you want but “saying what you want” really isn’t journalism, which has been the criticism of MSM in general. She was specifically talking about having more flexibility on what stories she covered and what guests she could bring on. As opposed to NBC where she did not have as much. I miss my MSM crush on Megyn, her and Trumps feud made me like her even more.
                What she did at Fox News wasn't journalism so I don't really get your point. She was on a shorter leash at NBC? I'm shocked that they didn't fully trust a huge Fox News personality to recreate and rid herself of the persona she was on Fox News. Maybe if her show didn't tank right out of the gate she would have gotten that "journalistic freedom."

Comment

Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                  What she did at Fox News wasn't journalism so I don't really get your point. She was on a shorter leash at NBC? I'm shocked that they didn't fully trust a huge Fox News personality to recreate and rid herself of the persona she was on Fox News. Maybe if her show didn't tank right out of the gate she would have gotten that "journalistic freedom."
                  Relax. Breathe. Read.

Comment

• Yeh, right. Does anyone believe that you post without trying to "make a point?" Give your colleagues a break. You post as if you always "have a dog in the fight." Cut the snarky slaps at your colleagues. "Relax. Breathe. Read." What a supercilious attempt at personalized put-down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                      Yeh, right. Does anyone believe that you post without trying to "make a point?" Give your colleagues a break. You post as if you always "have a dog in the fight." Cut the snarky slaps at your colleagues. "Relax. Breathe. Read." What a supercilious attempt at personalized put-down.
                      It's like the "I'm not trying to be rude but...."

"I'm not trying to make a point but..." ...insert dig at NBC News and use loaded terms like "MSM" lol

Comment

"I'm not trying to make a point but..." ...insert dig at NBC News and use loaded terms like "MSM" lol
                        Very much a "Well, actually...." or "I'm going to play the devil's advocate" guy-in-your-university lecture feel. lol

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAK: <a href="https://twitter.com/mattgaetz?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MattGaetz</a> tells <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WarRoomPandemic?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #WarRoomPandemic</a> he would be willing to resign his Congressional seat in order to defend President Donald Trump in the upcoming impeachment trial. <a href="https://t.co/bCRtEnmC0P">https://t.co/bCRtEnmC0P</a></p>&mdash; Raheem Kassam (@RaheemKassam) <a href="https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/1356986765832318976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 3, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

• He probably should resign for his failed attempt to out Liz Cheney from leadership. Dude went to Wyoming and talked a ton of shit about her. Not smart.
                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

I said “with all due respect!”
                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                He probably should resign for his failed attempt to out Liz Cheney from leadership. Dude went to Wyoming and talked a ton of shit about her. Not smart.
                                got dragged on twitter by ChinaVirus guy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No we voted. You were just wrong by like, a huuuuuge margin. <a href="https://t.co/2iwjlxpB3J">https://t.co/2iwjlxpB3J</a></p>&mdash; Adam Kinzinger (@RepKinzinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/RepKinzinger/status/1357152981335105537?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

Working...
                                X