Animal Crackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Crackers

Thought I'd start a thread where we can share stories about animals.

This one cracked me up. Lady goes into an abandoned house to smoke pot and finds a tiger. The best part was when she called they asked if she was high. lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.2d0cb68210bc

Rare monkey stolen from zoo returned. Whomever stole the monkey didn't realize how much publicity this would generate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...overed-n970961

Comment

Jogger in park in Colorado gets attacked by mountain lion and kills it with his hands.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...50366257671570

Comment

if you're patient, there's some great stuff in here.

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/saaDN8uY-hE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

This one is from last May, but is pretty amazing. Fox catches a rabbit for dinner and is on his merry way, when a bald eagle snatches both up. Photographer just happened to be using his video recorder instead of his camera at the moment. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/eagl...ramatic-images

Comment

Python Catches Bird While Hanging Out on a TV Antenna

TV reception must have sucked.

https://www.upi.com/Python-captures-...7131550777315/

Comment

This is crazy. Golfers are unfazed by the tussle between the crocodile and the python.

Comment

Scroll down to story #9 Badger bury's cow. Smart animal. Digs little tunnels under cow until they collapse from the weight then finishes by covering up the cow and begins to eat like it's at an All You Can Eat buffet.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-weird-orcas/

Comment

Rat fights off snake.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RXx0fynFe1A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Cute and brave mom. Article says the boy is staying at Grandma's house. Probably scared to go home and probably won't want to play in the backyard for a long time.

Woman says 'mom instinct' took over when she fought off cougar attacking son

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=62131879

Comment

Karma baby.

South Africa: Poacher killed by elephant then eaten by lions

A suspected rhino poacher has been trampled on by an elephant then eaten by a pride of lions in Kruger National Park, South Africa.

Accomplice poachers told the victim's family that he had been killed by an elephant on Tuesday. Relatives notified the park ranger.

A search party struggled to find the body but eventually found a human skull and a pair of trousers on Thursday.

The managing executive of the park extended his condolences to the family.

"Entering Kruger National Park illegally and on foot is not wise," he said. "It holds many dangers and this incident is evidence of that."

Kruger National Park has an ongoing problem with poaching and there remains a strong demand for rhino horn in Asian countries.

On Saturday, Hong Kong airport authorities seized the biggest haul of rhino horn in five years, valued at $2.1m (£1.6m).

Comment

Be cautious if you come across one of these birds.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/14/us/ca...man/index.html

A cassowary, a rare emu-like bird, attacks and kills Florida man, officials say.

(CNN)A cassowary, a giant bird with long claws on each foot, killed its owner after he fell in the backyard of his Gainesville, Florida, home, officials told CNN.

The bird's owner, Marvin Hajos -- who is 75, according to CNN affiliate WCJB -- made the initial call to 911 Friday about 10 a.m. ET. A second call came from another person at the scene who reported a medical emergency involving a large bird, said Lt. Joshua Crews of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
                        Hajos was transported to a nearby hospital, where he died, the lieutenant said. The cassowary remains on Hajos' property as authorities conduct an investigation into the attack, he said.
                        The owner was a breeder of the rare bird that is native to Australia and New Guinea, Alachua County Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Taylor said.
                        The death was an accident, officials said. It appears the man fell, and the cassowary attacked him after the fall, Taylor said.
                        The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission considers cassowaries Class II wildlife, meaning they pose a danger to humans and are subject to specific cage requirements. Owners must also have "substantial experience" with the animals, the commission says.

Class II is the same category as alligators, honey badgers and clouded leopards, while Class I includes more traditional predators such as a lions, tigers and bears.
                        The cassowary is a "large, flightless bird most closely related to the emu," according to the San Diego Zoo. It can run up to 31 mph through dense underbrush, jump almost 7 feet into the air and is a skilled swimmer, so it can deftly fend off threats, the zoo says.
                        They can grow more than 5 feet tall and the heaviest females can weigh more than 160 pounds, the zoo says. Males weigh up to 120 pounds.

"The cassowary is rightfully considered the most dangerous bird in the world!" the zoo says. "Each 3-toed foot has a dagger-like claw on the inner toe that is up to 4 inches (10 centimeters) long! The cassowary can slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick."

Comment

You can't trust Bambi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...=.d9075c780b4a

A man was fatally attacked by a pet deer. His wife barely escaped.

By Deanna Paul April 17 at 10:46 AM
                          Paul McDonald went outside to feed his pet deer on Wednesday morning. The Australian father never came back inside.

His wife, Mandi, and the couple’s 17-year-old son, Ethan, heard that something was amiss on the Moyhu property, in North East Victoria. They ventured outside and discovered Paul being attacked, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Ethan ran off seeking help, as Mandi tried to save her husband. The male stag, which the couple had owned for two years, shifted his attention and aggression toward her.

Ethan was able save his mother from the animal by whacking the deer in the head with a slab of wood. At time of publication, the ABC reported she had been air lifted to a Melbourne hospital and was in critical condition. She suffered injuries to her upper body and legs.

Responding officers shot and killed the deer at the scene, citing “concerns for the paramedic’s safety,” but it was too late for Paul McDonald. The farmer died from the deer-inflicted injuries before he could be rushed to the hospital.

Comment

Old Guys Rule!

This 80 year old guy is a bad ass! Watch the video and his interview. It's great.

Huge alligator captured by 80-year-old Florida man: ‘That thing tugged me all over'

An 80-year-old Florida man took matters into his own hands when a huge alligator walked into his backyard Tuesday afternoon.

Ed Chapman, from Miami-Dade County, tried to catch the 6-and-a-half-foot gator himself before he had to call in backup from police and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, local outlet 7News reported.

“That thing tugged me all over,” he told the outlet. “Carried me, twisting and fighting me all the way across the property.”

Chapman used his noose pole and got it around the gator’s neck, but the gator fought back.

“He swatted me with his tail and knocked my legs out from under me,” he said, telling the outlet he fell on his side but kept trying to stop the alligator, which fought against Chapman to a pond nearby.

“Then he got his front legs down in the reeds there, and then we went all the way down and he had his face in the water,” he said.

"In the meantime, I called 911,” he added. “I said, 'I just need some help. I got it contained, but I need some help. I can't get it out by myself.’"

According to 7News, officials responded within 30 minutes of his call and no one was hurt.

A part of the alligators tail had been cut off in the wild, officials told the outlet. If the gator had its whole tail, it would have been 8 feet long.

However, Chapman, who breeds wolves and keeps about 60 poisonous snakes for venom research, wasn’t particularly fazed, 7News reported.

“I’ve just been around this stuff a long time,” he said.

Comment

Better keep an extra driver in your bag the next time you play golf in Connecticut.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.1acf626710e4

Connecticut golfer fights off rabid bobcat in a fairway attack

A California bobcat. (Mindy Schauer/Orange County Register via AP)
                              By Michael Errigo April 19

A foursome of golfers was gathered near a fairway bunker on the seventh hole of the Mohegan Sun’s golf course in Sprague, Conn., Thursday morning when a rabid bobcat attacked one of the men, according to local authorities. The golfer reportedly fought off the animal with his club.

“[The bobcat] jumped on his back; he was able to fight it off with a golf club,” Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection officer Sgt. Chris Dwyer said to Connecticut station WFSB. “He thought it was dead as he walked a few steps away. It ended up jumping back up and taking off on him.”

All golfers were immediately cleared from the course and the victim, believed to be in his 60s, was transported to a hospital around 9 a.m. He had cuts to his back and the back of his legs, according to Dwyer.

The bobcat was tracked down by DEEP police in a nearby culvert and later euthanized.

"In my 20 years with the DEEP I’ve only had three rabid bobcats,” Dwyer said. “They are extremely aggressive, extremely vicious when they do have the rabies virus. . . . Usually those types of incidents are associated with a sick animal.”

The bobcat tested positive for rabies Thursday afternoon.

The bobcat had attacked a horse at a farm less than a mile from the course earlier in the day. The horse had cuts on its neck and eye, but received veterinary treatment Thursday and was expected to make a full recovery.

Bobcat attacks on humans are rare. The last reported attack in Connecticut came in 2014, according to DEEP.

“We tell [people], ‘You are a 1,000 times more likely to get bitten by your neighbor’s dog,’ ” Dwyer told the Hartford Courant.

Comment

Working...
                              X