Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inserts Grandpa Simpson Entering and leaving gif...
    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
      Rush Limbaugh passed away today at the age of 70 from lung cancer.
      Voice for the conservative side for a long time. Like him or loathe him, he was a force in politics. Amassed wealth of $600M. RIP Rush.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Voice for the conservative side for a long time. Like him or loathe him, he was a force in politics. Amassed wealth of $600M. RIP Rush.
        Not really a fan, but I know he did a ton of charity work, and donated a ton himself. He had several interests, but pretty sure he did a bunch for either cancer or leukemia. My personal favorite though was the Defend Betsy Ross situation.
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Not really a fan, but I know he did a ton of charity work, and donated a ton himself. He had several interests, but pretty sure he did a bunch for either cancer or leukemia. My personal favorite though was the Defend Betsy Ross situation.
          I didn't listen to him either, but he was huge.
          In December 2019, Talkers Magazine estimated that Limbaugh's show attracted a cumulative weekly audience of 15.5 million listeners to become the most-listened-to radio show in the United States.

Comment

• It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
              Rush Limbaugh passed away today at the age of 70 from lung cancer.
              Was sad to see how many awful things people were saying about him on social media yesterday. I only listened to him maybe a few times over his long career, I'm not big on radio for anything other than music or the occasional morning show, but I'm not gonna kick a guy on the day he dies. Seems rather immature and disrespectful to family and friends. They had 50+ years to criticize him, take a day off.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

Was sad to see how many awful things people were saying about him on social media yesterday. I only listened to him maybe a few times over his long career, I'm not big on radio for anything other than music or the occasional morning show, but I'm not gonna kick a guy on the day he dies. Seems rather immature and disrespectful to family and friends. They had 50+ years to criticize him, take a day off.
                I knew very little about him before yesterday. I knew the name, but that's not my sphere so I never listened or had any real reason to dig deep into him.

Well, I learned a whole lot about him yesterday. He would have gloated about my death, so I actually think it's very good that people trashed him :)

Comment

He was before my time so I didn't know about some of his antics, but the AIDS update stuff is pretty egregious.

People didn't hate him because he was for traditional conservative values like fiscal responsibility and smaller government, it was because he was homophobic and made racially insensitive comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post

I knew very little about him before yesterday. I knew the name, but that's not my sphere so I never listened or had any real reason to dig deep into him.

Well, I learned a whole lot about him yesterday. He would have gloated about my death, so I actually think it's very good that people trashed him :)
                    Yeah, I heard in the 80s Rush would have a segment on his show called "AIDs Update" where he would talk about gay and bisexual men that passed away. I don't condone it, it was controversial even then, but look how far we've come as a society in the last 30-35 years. Back then it was quite accepted to make fun of homosexuals, it's kind of cringeworthy when you go back and watch comedies and tv shoes from that period because there's gay jokes everywhere. It was the cool thing to do. Hell, even when we used to criticize something they didn't like people would say, "That's gay." Then it became, "That's retarded" or "Are you retarded?" Now it's "Are you Autistic?" Looks like we still have a ways to go, but maybe someday we'll get there. That being said, whatever Rush said 30+ years ago, it's different today. The stigma has been changed.

People shouldn't be summed up by comments that were made a lifetime ago, and even if those comments are reprehensible today an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. We're better today than we were back then, no need to stoop down to that level.

Comment

Yeah, I heard in the 80s Rush would have a segment on his show called "AIDs Update" where he would talk about gay and bisexual men that passed away. I don't condone it, it was controversial even then, but look how far we've come as a society in the last 30-35 years. Back then it was quite accepted to make fun of homosexuals, it's kind of cringeworthy when you go back and watch comedies and tv shoes from that period because there's gay jokes everywhere. It was the cool thing to do. Hell, even when we used to criticize something they didn't like people would say, "That's gay." Then it became, "That's retarded" or "Are you retarded?" Now it's "Are you Autistic?" Looks like we still have a ways to go, but maybe someday we'll get there. That being said, whatever Rush said 30+ years ago, it's different today. The stigma has been changed.

People shouldn't be summed up by comments that were made a lifetime ago, and even if those comments are reprehensible today an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. We're better today than we were back then, no need to stoop down to that level.
                      You can go through this and see an awful lot of things were said quite recently. https://people.com/politics/rush-lim...rsial-moments/

2007 - “Barack, the Magic Negro,”

I mean....that really wouldn't have been something good to say in 1988, let alone 2007.

Comment

• The man was certainly controversial, and like I said I don't listen to shock jockies or anything political on the radio. Not condoning anything that was said in the past, these guys make a living by pushing the envelope. That said, isn't it ironic that these people are saying things that are as bad or worse about the guy after he's dead? It really makes them no different. Again, people are not the sum of their comments from decades ago. He donated millions to the families of fallen police officers, not to mention other charities like the leukemia and lymphoma society. I don't think some boneheaded comments should disqualify his family from a day of peace. The people making the comments only put themselves on the same level or worse.
                        Last edited by ulukinatme; 02-18-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

The man was certainly controversial, and like I said I don't listen to shock jockies or anything political on the radio. Not condoning anything that was said in the past, these guys make a living by pushing the envelope. That said, isn't it ironic that these people are saying things that are as bad or worse about the guy after he's dead? It really makes them no different. Again, people are not the sum of their comments from decades ago. He donated millions to the families of fallen police officers, not to mention other charities like the leukemia and lymphoma society. I don't think some boneheaded comments should disqualify his family from a day of peace. The people making the comments only put themselves on the same level or worse.
                          Yes, he was controversial. Again, not really a fan, but I could make a case for cancelling just about anyone these days. One person that didn't cancel Rush, was Elton John. If anything, people on both sides should take a Q from Elton and Rush...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...n-john-wedding

Comment

Seems some people just can’t help themselves. I guess it makes them feel bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Yes, he was controversial. Again, not really a fan, but I could make a case for cancelling just about anyone these days. One person that didn't cancel Rush, was Elton John. If anything, people on both sides should take a Q from Elton and Rush...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...n-john-wedding
                              That was interesting, I never knew he had a connection to Elton John. From the article:

In subsequent years, John spoke favorably about the radio host, even if he didn’t always agree with him. According to a 2012 USA Today interview, he even speculated that Limbaugh did not personally hold some of the beliefs about the gay community that he espoused on air.

"He sends me the loveliest e-mails," John told the outlet in 2012. "What I get from Rush privately and what I get from Rush publicly are two different things. I'm just trying to break him down."

Meanwhile, in a 2014 interview with The New York Times, John encouraged his fans that the most important thing one can do with someone they disagree with, as he did with Limbaugh, is to open up a dialogue.
                              You wonder if interactions like that changed Rush's perspective over the years. Pretty cool.

Comment

That was interesting, I never knew he had a connection to Elton John. From the article:

You wonder if interactions like that changed Rush's perspective over the years. Pretty cool.
                                One would think that if two people, each viewed as polar opposites of the spectrum, can be friends, there's still hope for us lol....

EJ is an interesting dude. Not sure about his current situation, but he has lived, or at least lived part time in ATL for a long time (since I move in the mid 90s). I've seen him a few times at one of fav restaurants over the years and he involved in some fund raising events I participated in in the early 2000s. He's just a kind person. I remember at one point there was an article asking why he lived in the south given some of the conservative connotations. He replied, people here have just always treated me nice. I'm glad though they were friends, and both have spoken publicly about the other over the years. Real life can make strange bedfellows, while politics and media distort.

Comment

Working...
                                X