Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
    Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
      Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
      Poor Leon never had a chance. Ali used to chastise him all the time about his lack of intelligence. He once stated that Leon Spinks was “so dumb, after the police took his driver’s license away from him, he walked into a telephone pole”. It was all about smack talk back then & the Louisville Lip was the king of that. RIP to Spinks.

Comment

• George P. Shultz, former Secretary of the Treasury and Labor under Nixon, and Secretary of State under Reagan, has passed away at the age of 100. Shultz was a moderate voice in the Reagan administration and one of the major players in ending the Cold War.
        Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks died yesterday at the age of 67. He had been battling cancer for the past few years and suffering from numerous other ailments, including brain atrophy likely stemming from his boxing career. Spinks won an Olympic gold medal in '76 and upset Ali for the heavyweight title less than two years later. He'd soon lose it back to Ali and from there his career and life seemed to just spiral downward. Poor money management, substance abuse, and numerous health issues derailed his career and life to a great extent.
          Hate to see anyone suffer from cancer. Leon was the definition of "One Hit Wonder" and/or "The Perfect Storm". IIRC he had a real shady manager who basically took all of his money. RIP Leon.

Comment

• Pedro Gomez died yesterday. Always enjoyed him.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
              Pedro Gomez died yesterday. Always enjoyed him.
              58 is way too young.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                58 is way too young.
                Seemed like a great guy. Was cause of death mentioned?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                  Seemed like a great guy. Was cause of death mentioned?
                  I read on ESPN it was unexpected
                  60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

I watched The Sound Of Music with my 9-year-old this past summer. Plummer was a fine actor. Not particularly common knowledge, but during filming of the movie, he and Charmian Carr who played oldest daughter Liesl, were having an affair. She was playing a 16-year-old and he her 40+ year old dad. In reality she was 22 and he was only 35. Both adults, but odd to be boinking your movie daughter.
                    Sounds like she took that "you need someone older and wiser" (16 going on 17) line a little too far...

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                      Pedro Gomez died yesterday. Always enjoyed him.
                      Was at the ASU baseball scrimmage on Saturday and had planned to hook up with my buddy after they finished but he canceled cuz he forgot he and the wife had dinner plans at Pedro's. Was supposed to watch the Super Bowl with him last night but thankfully I had to bail due to elderly family members I'm responsible for. Glad I wasn't there when they got the news.

The one time I got to talk some baseball with him was at a charity event he MC'd. Oddly enough, I'm in the background of the picture ASU used in their tweet. That's me sitting up on the balcony outside of Billy Beane's Moneyball office.

If you haven't seen the coverage of him in Cuba with USA baseball, it's a must watch. Hopefully ESPN does a 30 fo 30 on his life.

Prayers out to his family and friends.

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whether in the news or at the park or in our classrooms, Pedro Gomez was a legend in baseball journalism and a staple for the Valley sports scene. <br><br>A loving family man and a friend to our program, he will be missed.<br><br>Our thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues. <a href="https://t.co/xpJl4qJ8SO">pic.twitter.com/xpJl4qJ8SO</a></p>&mdash; Sun Devil Baseball (@ASU_Baseball) <a href="https://twitter.com/ASU_Baseball/status/1358846543529320449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]
                      Last edited by NDCrusader; 02-17-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer died last night at the age of 77 from Alzheimer's. He was HC of four teams, but probably best known for coaching the Browns and Chiefs. Schottenheimer was one of the NFL's 10 winningest coaches ever and his teams routinely won consistently during the regular season, but had a tendency to implode, fall victim to terrible luck, or otherwise come up short in the post-season.

Comment

• Larry Flint... RI"P"
                          The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                          Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

• I can remember when Larry had his big 1st Amendment trial over Hustler. He was in a wheel chair because someone tried to kill him during the trial and it left him paralyzed. Married 5 times. Very controversial figure.

Comment

• Former NFL wide receiver Vincent Jackson was found dead Monday in a Florida hotel room, according to The Hillsborough County (Florida) Sheriff's Office.

The body of the 38-year-old Jackson was found at approximately 11:30 a.m. ET on Monday at the Homewood Suites in Brandon, Florida. Police said there were no apparent signs of trauma, and the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office will determine the cause of death.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said it has opened an investigation.

According to hotel staff, Jackson, who is a South Tampa resident, checked into the hotel on Jan. 11 and had been staying in a room since that date.

Jackson's family reported him missing on Wednesday and a formal report was filed Thursday, but police located Jackson at the Homewood Suites on Friday. The missing persons case was canceled after Jackson's well-being was confirmed.

Comment

• Rush Limbaugh passed away today at the age of 70 from lung cancer.

Comment

Working...
                                X