X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish2155 View Post
      This one kind of stings a little. Hammering Hank, RIP.

He's so famous for the HR record but that doesn't even begin to explain how good of a hitter he was. The guy could flat out rake. 300+ BA and STILL to this day with PEDs owns the RBI record. Speaks to clutch base hits which is most important. He didn't have that sweet Griffey swing but could sure find the other side of the fence.

RIP Mr. Homerun
      Probably the quickest wrists known to man. I remember him in an interview saying he could go up to the plate and look curveball b/c he knew his wrists were quick enough to react to any fastball. Thatís insane. RIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Legacy View Post
        Aaron's achievements were accomplished mostly when the pitcher's mound was higher (lowered in '69), the strike zone was bigger and did not occur in the steroid or live ball eras.

He had Eddie Matthews in Milwaukee but in later years did he have anyone that forced pitchers not to pitch around him?
        Yes, but not to that level. He had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty & Joe Torre in the mid-to-late 60s. In the 70s, he was likely responsible for some of his teammates having career years HR-wise. Light hitting 2B Davey Johnson actually slugged 40+ HRs on year. In recent times, he’d immediately be under suspicion for PED use. Darrell Evans also benefitted but he was a career power hitter.

Bottom line, he was one of the best all-around hitters of all-time. RIP

SIDE NOTE: imagine being his younger brother Tommie. He played 5 or so years for the Braves but I don’t recall him being a starter & he was nowhere near the hitter. Guess he, Chris Gwynn & Ozzie Canseco have something in common...LOL

Comment

• Not to be morbid, but I can’t help but think Willie Mays will be joining his fellow HOFers in Heaven soon. For my money, he’s the best all around player of the modern era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
            Yes, but not to that level. He had Orlando Cepeda, Rico Carty & Joe Torre in the mid-to-late 60s. In the 70s, he was likely responsible for some of his teammates having career years HR-wise. Light hitting 2B Davey Johnson actually slugged 40+ HRs on year. In recent times, heíd immediately be under suspicion for PED use. Darrell Evans also benefitted but he was a career power hitter.

Bottom line, he was one of the best all-around hitters of all-time. RIP

SIDE NOTE: imagine being his younger brother Tommie. He played 5 or so years for the Braves but I donít recall him being a starter & he was nowhere near the hitter. Guess he, Chris Gwynn & Ozzie Canseco have something in common...LOL
            Lol. I have a couple of Ozzie Canseco rookie cards.

Comment

• Born Lawrence Harvey Zeiger, Larry King has passed away. Cause appears to be complications from COVID.

A lot is often said about King and his personal life, like his struggles with marriage having married 7 different women 8 times. He was a strong advocate in the fight against heart disease though, and his Larry King Cardiac Foundation pays for cardiac procedures for people who can't afford health insurance.

On a lighter note, I'm reminded that Bob and Tom just released a song to say "Goodbye to 2020" where they listed all the wonderful celebrities we lost in 2020 only to have Larry King survive (They have him "call in" on the show regularly, impressionist). That didn't age well.

Comment

Lol. I have a couple of Ozzie Canseco rookie cards.
                Don’t want to derail this thread so if you’re interested in discussing PEDs & MLB, pick back up in .https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...Boys+of+summer . I heard a fascinating argument for some players to be forgiven for the use. Anyways..check it out in the https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...Boys+of+summer
                Last edited by Irishize; 01-23-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
                  Born Lawrence Harvey Zeiger, Larry King has passed away. Cause appears to be complications from COVID.

A lot is often said about King and his personal life, like his struggles with marriage having married 7 different women 8 times. He was a strong advocate in the fight against heart disease though, and his Larry King Cardiac Foundation pays for cardiac procedures for people who can't afford health insurance.

On a lighter note, I'm reminded that Bob and Tom just released a song to say "Goodbye to 2020" where they listed all the wonderful celebrities we lost in 2020 only to have Larry King survive (They have him "call in" on the show regularly, impressionist). That didn't age well.
                  I guess King liked marriage so much he did it eight times.

Comment

• Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.

Comment

Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
                      RIP David

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                        RIP David
                        Been on the local news this morning. Kind of gives me a sad. We played next to each other on the Oline in HS - right guard and tackle.

Comment

Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of my HS buddy David Moore being murder pulling someone over while working as a police officer. RIP David.
                          Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend all those years ago. I hope you and his family find peace and healing from this.
                          Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Actress Cloris Leachman has passed away at the age of 94. She was quite famous to us older people, having won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the early 70's, starred in several comedy films including Young Frankenstein, and starred on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Interestingly, she was most famous as a comic actress - and was brilliant in this field - but her Oscar was for a very non-comic role.
                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Coached David in the wrestling program at FCMS & FCHS before he transferred. His dad was on the board of our ISWA wrestling program with me.

David was a member of the Indianapolis Police Department. Shot and killed when making a traffic stop. RIP David.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                Actress Cloris Leachman has passed away at the age of 94. She was quite famous to us older people, having won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the early 70's, starred in several comedy films including Young Frankenstein, and starred on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Interestingly, she was most famous as a comic actress - and was brilliant in this field - but her Oscar was for a very non-comic role.
                                Remember her well. One of her more recent performances was as a rich neighbor on Two and A Half Men. RIP Cloris.

Comment

Working...
                                X