Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The man was certainly controversial, and like I said I don't listen to shock jockies or anything political on the radio. Not condoning anything that was said in the past, these guys make a living by pushing the envelope. That said, isn't it ironic that these people are saying things that are as bad or worse about the guy after he's dead? It really makes them no different. Again, people are not the sum of their comments from decades ago. He donated millions to the families of fallen police officers, not to mention other charities like the leukemia and lymphoma society. I don't think some boneheaded comments should disqualify his family from a day of peace. The people making the comments only put themselves on the same level or worse.
    Last edited by ulukinatme; 02-18-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post
      The man was certainly controversial, and like I said I don't listen to shock jockies or anything political on the radio. Not condoning anything that was said in the past, these guys make a living by pushing the envelope. That said, isn't it ironic that these people are saying things that are as bad or worse about the guy after he's dead? It really makes them no different. Again, people are not the sum of their comments from decades ago. He donated millions to the families of fallen police officers, not to mention other charities like the leukemia and lymphoma society. I don't think some boneheaded comments should disqualify his family from a day of peace. The people making the comments only put themselves on the same level or worse.
      Yes, he was controversial. Again, not really a fan, but I could make a case for cancelling just about anyone these days. One person that didn't cancel Rush, was Elton John. If anything, people on both sides should take a Q from Elton and Rush...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...n-john-wedding

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Was sad to see how many awful things people were saying about him on social media yesterday. I only listened to him maybe a few times over his long career, I'm not big on radio for anything other than music or the occasional morning show, but I'm not gonna kick a guy on the day he dies. Seems rather immature and disrespectful to family and friends. They had 50+ years to criticize him, take a day off.
        Seems some people just can’t help themselves. I guess it makes them feel bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Yes, he was controversial. Again, not really a fan, but I could make a case for cancelling just about anyone these days. One person that didn't cancel Rush, was Elton John. If anything, people on both sides should take a Q from Elton and Rush...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...n-john-wedding
          That was interesting, I never knew he had a connection to Elton John. From the article:

In subsequent years, John spoke favorably about the radio host, even if he didn’t always agree with him. According to a 2012 USA Today interview, he even speculated that Limbaugh did not personally hold some of the beliefs about the gay community that he espoused on air.

"He sends me the loveliest e-mails," John told the outlet in 2012. "What I get from Rush privately and what I get from Rush publicly are two different things. I'm just trying to break him down."

Meanwhile, in a 2014 interview with The New York Times, John encouraged his fans that the most important thing one can do with someone they disagree with, as he did with Limbaugh, is to open up a dialogue.
          You wonder if interactions like that changed Rush's perspective over the years. Pretty cool.

Comment

That was interesting, I never knew he had a connection to Elton John. From the article:

You wonder if interactions like that changed Rush's perspective over the years. Pretty cool.
            One would think that if two people, each viewed as polar opposites of the spectrum, can be friends, there's still hope for us lol....

EJ is an interesting dude. Not sure about his current situation, but he has lived, or at least lived part time in ATL for a long time (since I move in the mid 90s). I've seen him a few times at one of fav restaurants over the years and he involved in some fund raising events I participated in in the early 2000s. He's just a kind person. I remember at one point there was an article asking why he lived in the south given some of the conservative connotations. He replied, people here have just always treated me nice. I'm glad though they were friends, and both have spoken publicly about the other over the years. Real life can make strange bedfellows, while politics and media distort.

Comment

• I remember when they hired Rush at ESPN. Unsurprisingly, it didn’t last long.
              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

You can go through this and see an awful lot of things were said quite recently. https://people.com/politics/rush-lim...rsial-moments/

2007 - “Barack, the Magic Negro,”

I mean....that really wouldn't have been something good to say in 1988, let alone 2007.
                Barack the Magic Negro to the tune of Puff the Magic Dragon was pretty damn funny and a lot less offensive than "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." One directly poking fun as parody and the other coming straight from the racist heart. He pegged Jessie Jackson to a T - complete race pimp. The vile comments about Rush are very telling of the supposed unity/tolerance crowd. NYT insinuating Bo Snerdley is not real is more racist than anything else. Rush was an icon - 3 hours a day for 30+ years, most normal humans would have a lot more and worse quotes than him. I found the show boring - 30 minutes of content stretched over three hours.

Really disturbing that so many want to run away from ever being able to make fun of anything but straight white people ever again. Such a complete sissification of our country.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

Barack the Magic Negro to the tune of Puff the Magic Dragon was pretty damn funny and a lot less offensive than "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." One directly poking fun as parody and the other coming straight from the racist heart. He pegged Jessie Jackson to a T - complete race pimp. The vile comments about Rush are very telling of the supposed unity/tolerance crowd. NYT insinuating Bo Snerdley is not real is more racist than anything else. Rush was an icon - 3 hours a day for 30+ years, most normal humans would have a lot more and worse quotes than him. I found the show boring - 30 minutes of content stretched over three hours.

Really disturbing that so many want to run away from ever being able to make fun of anything but straight white people ever again. Such a complete sissification of our country.
                  You don't see any issue with using "negro" in the year 2007?

Personally, I look forward to when David Duke dies and people refer to him as the guy who ran the organization that adopted a highway in Georgia. You know, love him or hate him, he put forth an effort to help clean up Georgia. He helped young white men by providing them with an organization that gave them purpose and self worth.

FTR - All the redirection Biden/NYT comments are also vile too, and wrong. I won't condone racist comments from anyone.

Comment

• Whether you refer to someone as Negro, colored, or black is always difficult but its literally unnecessary at this point to use those qualifiers of dubious context to refer to anyone. At no point do I need to refer to anyone I am talking about using their skin color to describe them or talk about them to others. My son doesnt either which Ill take as a parenting win. He has several friends of differing backgrounds and ethnicities. If he is talking about one of his friends he NEVER uses skin color to differentiate them from his other friends. Maybe adults can get on board with that and when someone like Rush uses the word negro to belittle a sitting president we can all call it for it it is.. a clear and obvious racist insult.
                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Irv Cross passed at the age of 81. Was a staple of NFL broadcasts.
                      Last edited by Irish#1; 03-01-2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Once again, most of you did not listen to Rush. I did and he never said any derogatory words about people of color. He was always very respectful.

if all you listen to is The mainstream media and the cable CNN and MSNBC, they will do anything, show clips out of context, yes even right out lie to destroy or silence conservatives. Open your eyes guys!!!

Don’t comment here unless you heard him directly make those kind of statements. If you haven’t discovered yet how slanted the media is, then listen to both sides.

Comment

• Compare him to the mean spirited/hateful things said by people, yes even your favorite politicians, on the other side!! Never once did I hear Rush say anything hateful. Do some research and don’t listen to the MSM for the truth.

Comment

• 20210305_164133-min-1-1-1-1.png

Saw this picture, and I knew it reminded me of this site and this thread lol
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Roger Mudd, Anchorman Who Stumped a Kennedy, Is Dead at 93

A staple of CBS, NBC and PBS, he was best known for his interview with Senator Edward M. Kennedy in 1979, when he asked a simple question: “Why do you want to be president?”

Worked for CBS in the 60's and 70's before going to NBC. Was supposed to take over after Cronkite retired, but CBS picked Dan Rather, so he went to NBC. That question caught Kennedy off guard and he didn't have a goods answer. Some think that cost him a realistic shot at becoming president. Leaving Mary Jo Kopechne to die didn't help Kennedy's chances either.

Comment

• Rest in Peace

Comment

• I'm seeing a couple of reports claiming Hagler died of a heart attack. He supposedly began experiencing chest pains and difficulty breathing and was taken to a hospital, but later passed away. Heck of a fighter. He always showed up in great shape and gave a 100% effort. Had a granite chin and was a genuinely tough, skilled fighter. One of the all-time greatest fighter I ever watched.
                                  Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post
                                    I'm seeing a couple of reports claiming Hagler died of a heart attack. He supposedly began experiencing chest pains and difficulty breathing and was taken to a hospital, but later passed away. Heck of a fighter. He always showed up in great shape and gave a 100% effort. Had a granite chin and was a genuinely tough, skilled fighter. One of the all-time greatest fighter I ever watched.
                                    Those days in the early/mid 80s when I was in grade school were great for boxing. Hearns, Hagler, Macho, Leonard, Duran, etc.. I remember watching on the weekend down at my grandfather's farm. And you had some interesting heavyweights too, and then later 80s Tyson on the scene. MMH had some great fights though. The ones with Duran, Hearns, and Leonard I remember most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

Those days in the early/mid 80s when I was in grade school were great for boxing. Hearns, Hagler, Macho, Leonard, Duran, etc.. I remember watching on the weekend down at my grandfather's farm. And you had some interesting heavyweights too, and then later 80s Tyson on the scene. MMH had some great fights though. The ones with Duran, Hearns, and Leonard I remember most.
                                      Marvelous Marvin Hagler. RIP

i doubt there will ever be another time in boxing to rival that period. So many studs. Those guys were all lethal and would move weight classes to go at each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Marvelous Marvin Hagler. RIP

i doubt there will ever be another time in boxing to rival that period. So many studs. Those guys were all lethal and would move weight classes to go at each other.
                                        Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the MMA stuff, but boxing as a standalone today just sucks compared to the past. Shit just died after Tyson. And the personalities are just lacking anymore.

Even in MMA, aside from Conor McGregor, there's just constant cycling of boring fighters in and out. I do enjoy some of the female MMA. IMO, more entertaining on the whole than men's.

Comment

• Heard on Dan Patrick, that he got miffed because they would introduced Ray Leonard as Sugar Ray Leonard and he was introduced as Marvin Hagler minus his Marvelous, so he had his name legally changed to Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Also mentioned that when he retired he went to Italy and made spaghetti westerns.

This is brutal.

https://youtu.be/HL2a2-8OHdg
                                          Last edited by Irish#1; 03-15-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Dick Hoyt passed away. One of the most impressive people I’ve ever seen. He competed with his son Rick in countless marathons, races, and triathlons. Here’s a short video from one of the Ironman races they completed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM
                                            "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post
                                              Dick Hoyt passed away. One of the most impressive people I’ve ever seen. He competed with his son Rick in countless marathons, races, and triathlons. Here’s a short video from one of the Ironman races they completed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM
                                              Very impressive and dedicated father. A credit to the human race. RIP Mr. Hoyt.

Comment

• The great Elgin Baylor has passed away. Might have been of the all time best. 10 time All NBA.

Baylor averaged 29.7 points and 20.3 rebounds per game for Seattle University. Next season he averaged 32.5 points per game and led Seattle to the NCAA championship game, Seattle's only trip to the Final Four.

RIP Elgin.
                                                Last edited by Irish#1; 03-22-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Actor George Segal died Tuesday at the age of 87 from complications stemming from bypass surgery. Segal was a leading man during the 60's & 70's (I especially liked him as the lead in the 1966 WWII movie King Rat). Most will remember him from his costarring role with David Spade on the TV show Just Shoot Me from 20 years ago. He won 2 Golden Globe awards and was nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar.
                                                  Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• Howard Schnellenberger, former HC at Miami, Louisville and a number of schools, passed away earlier today at the age of 87. Schnellenberger played for Bear Bryant at Kentucky, was an assistant at Bama and was the guy who landed Namath. He later went on to lead the Hurricanes to their first NC in '83 and laid the foundation for them becoming a powerhouse program.

Comment

• LaRon Moore has passed away. I played against him in high school. He was like an adult playing against junior high kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeekNDestroy View Post
                                                        LaRon Moore has passed away. I played against him in high school. He was like an adult playing against junior high kids.
                                                        This hits close to home. My oldest was two years behind LaRon at Franklin Central and played on the same team. My son was pretty small as a freshman and LaRon would put him on his shoulders and carry him around. Made his day. I believe he is the only FC kid to play for ND. IIRC he played for the 49'ers for a couple of years. RIP LaRon.

Activities and Societies: Three year letter winner in Varsity Football. Four year starter in Varsity Basketball. Two year letter winner Varsity Track, Phil N. Eskew mental attitude award winner for scholarship, leadership and athletics for 1990 4A State Football Champions Franklin Central. 1991 Marion County Athlete of the year. National Honors Society, Leadership Committee, chess Club, A.P. English, A.P. Math and Certified lifeguard. Participated in a reading project that focused on third graders in the community.

Maintained a 3.5 in college prep courses, while earning 3 varsity letters in football. 4 year starter in basketball and a member of the national honors society.
                                                        Last edited by Irish#1; 03-31-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Not sure where he got his info, but my son said it was a brain aneurysm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                            Not sure where he got his info, but my son said it was a brain aneurysm.
                                                            Thank you. I had been unable to find a cause, only that it was “unexpected.”

On the same topic, I’m really tired of reading about former players dying far too young. It seems that ND has had more than it’s share the last decade, or so.

Comment

• RIP DMX.

Only liked of couple of his tunes, but really enjoyed him as Buns in Belly.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                              Working...
                                                              X