No announcement yet.

Freezageddon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are big on the brine around our neck of the woods. It makes a big difference.
    Last edited by irishff1014; 02-18-2021, 10:40 PM.
    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
      More snow coming down here in Indy. Got some more last night and it's still coming down. Highways were completely clear going home last night. This morning the highways were crap.
      Early runs from some legit local meteorologists in the Indy area are saying the storm system coming in this weekend could pump another 6-10 inches only this snow would be wetter and heavier than this last storm. I live in rural northeast Indians and there literally isn’t anywhere else the plows can push snow at this point. Insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

I dont know what Texas's is like either but my zone on the coast is subtropical and we utilize split system heat pumps. Very few furnaces. The split system heat pump means the actual fan driven a/c and heat coils is in your house (sometime in a closet or sometimes in uninsulated attic). The other portion is the condenser which is ALWAYS outside. The condensor's performance is severely affected by outside air temperature When the outside air temperature gets below 40 degrees heat pumps are notoriously inefficient at doing anything. Below 30? Even less efficient. Might as well turn off the system and get out the kerosene or electric heater.
        Once it gets in the low 20s most places seem to have a hard time keeping interior temps comfortable around here. Just not built for it and heat pumps are different animals. Insulation much thinner too. We just installed a gas fireplace insert to cozy up our living room - thing kicks ass and will pay dividends this week for my sissy ass thin blood.

One thing to consider - with no power they have no heat so not just an issue of plumbing on exterior walls and heat pumps - whole house freezes. Not everyone has gas/propane - electric only is hard to comprehend coming from the midwest but it is a real thing here. If they had power it would be less of a problem (captain obvious here) - my low level "prepping" is much more concerned with ice storms than hurricanes for all the reasons shown in Texas. No A/C is miserable but you aren't dying. Backup generator and space heaters for at least part of the house is a couple hundred dollar contingency plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
          The are big on the brine around our neck of the woods. It makes a big difference.
          Helps for marginal weather and short term events - pretty useless once you get much below mid 20s, IMO, or with much more than an inch or two of snow. This whole place shuts down and waits for it to warm up when that happens so 90% of the time it gets the job done. Found it obnoxious when I moved here but now enjoy snow days - life is too short and very few things that can't wait a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

Once it gets in the low 20s most places seem to have a hard time keeping interior temps comfortable around here. Just not built for it and heat pumps are different animals. Insulation much thinner too. We just installed a gas fireplace insert to cozy up our living room - thing kicks ass and will pay dividends this week for my sissy ass thin blood.

One thing to consider - with no power they have no heat so not just an issue of plumbing on exterior walls and heat pumps - whole house freezes. Not everyone has gas/propane - electric only is hard to comprehend coming from the midwest but it is a real thing here. If they had power it would be less of a problem (captain obvious here) - my low level "prepping" is much more concerned with ice storms than hurricanes for all the reasons shown in Texas. No A/C is miserable but you aren't dying. Backup generator and space heaters for at least part of the house is a couple hundred dollar contingency plan.
            Exactly. I "might" have essentially R9 insulation in my walls with copper pipes entering my house from below grade Our frost depth is about 12" as well So its likely much better than the 24-36" frost depths elsewhere in the country. We have a real wood burning fireplace and a backup kerosene heater as my entire house is electric only heating.
            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• We're supposed to get another 1 to 3 inches of snow here today. Boil order for all of Austin, for those of us who have both water and power anyways. I've got no water, but do have power and from what I can tell, this means I should have heat for the rest of this. It might be until Sunday when everything is good enough for me to go out again, as my car has become encased in ice.

Just gotta wait it out until the weekend for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                We're supposed to get another 1 to 3 inches of snow here today. Boil order for all of Austin, for those of us who have both water and power anyways. I've got no water, but do have power and from what I can tell, this means I should have heat for the rest of this. It might be until Sunday when everything is good enough for me to go out again, as my car has become encased in ice.

Just gotta wait it out until the weekend for this.
                I have been seeing people post that they have been paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars a day for power this week. Have you been seeing this?

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

We're total electric in our house with a Carrier HP with 18 SEER rating. Supplemented with heat packs. When we built it was mostly farm country and gas wasn't available. Wife was bummed, but it paid off in the long run. As big as the house is, our electric bill during the winter runs between $190 - $275. Our neighbors are paying $350 - $400+ with gas.

Comment

• Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post

I have been seeing people post that they have been paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars a day for power this week. Have you been seeing this?
                    I don't know where they're at, but what I've been reading is that our local energy company should be mostly sheltered from that spike in the short-term. If I see something else, I'll get back to y'all.

Comment

• Ted Cruz wants to beat the cold and heads off to the Caribbean and says his kids wanted to take a last minute trip? That doofus sure didn't see the blowback coming. lol

Comment

Ted Cruz wants to beat the cold and heads off to the Caribbean and says his kids wanted to take a last minute trip? That doofus sure didn't see the blowback coming. lol
                        I could understand if his son or daughter were having on of his grand kids. I could see leaving for that. At this would be a huge milestone for the family and his people would be on the ground for him to have constant contact with.There is no way you can just randomly leave your area for vacation. And there is no way he could have thought this would be a good idea. But again it goes to my point politicians don’t care about us people.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post

I could understand if his son or daughter were having on of his grand kids. I could see leaving for that. At this would be a huge milestone for the family and his people would be on the ground for him to have constant contact with. There is no way you can just randomly leave your area for vacation. And there is no way he could have thought this would be a good idea. But again it goes to my point politicians don’t care about us people.
                          Then he gives the excuse he was just dropping the kids off and heading back? lol I guess he didn't think someone would check and find his original return date was several days later.

Comment

Then he gives the excuse he was just dropping the kids off and heading back? lol I guess he didn't think someone would check and find his original return date was several days later.
                            SMH

Comment

Ted Cruz wants to beat the cold and heads off to the Caribbean and says his kids wanted to take a last minute trip? That doofus sure didn't see the blowback coming. lol
                              Either that or just DGAF. HAHA. Either way, what the hell Ted?
                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• I'm spending way too much time in my driveway every other day clearing snow from it. December and January were pretty dry but February has been absolutely brutal. Thankfully it is above freezing again after nearly three weeks of consecutive days being below. Glad I'm working from home.

As for Texas, Beto and AOC did quite a job last week raising money and or doing wellness calls to seniors, which is funny because one lost to Ted Cruz in 2018 and the other is from New York yet they've managed to do more than anyone else down there who actually holds office as far as I can tell. If you are going to give, just make sure you're doing so to legit sites and funds, etc.

Ultimately, not really shocked by much anymore, and the situation down there on many levels is not an exception. Nor is the weather on a national scale. Seems bad everywhere and it is definitely slowing business for me.
                                It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Working...
                                X