Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezageddon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post
    I was hoping this would be enough to make the Apostle Islands Ice Caves accessible. We've spent a lot of time below -20 lately and up north it's been even colder.
    .
    I looked up the statistics for several Texas cities and discovered that their record lows were below 0 for seven months of the year. I can't imagine why the infrastructure isn't designed to handle a little bit of cold, as it's clearly happened several times before and will happen again. Was the money saved on pipe insulation and a durable power grid worth it?
    Judging by some of the political leader responses from Texas its being blamed on the Green New Deal and a lack of bootstraps. It seems to me to be a much more intrinsic infrastructural neglection from deregulation and accountability.
    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

      Judging by some of the political leader responses from Texas its being blamed on the Green New Deal and a lack of bootstraps. It seems to me to be a much more intrinsic infrastructural neglection from deregulation and accountability.
      Apparently this happened as recently as 2011 (https://www.statesman.com/article/20...NEWS/304119704). It gets hot in Texas so homes should generally already be insulated. But why on earth would you put pipes in exterior walls? Have external water heaters? Uninsulated piping? Austin isn't LA or Miami.
      .
      Whenever a state melts down over a totally-predictable weather event that has literally happened there before, I hope that the money they saved by completely ignoring an obvious risk was worth it. I also hope that the ramifications in terms of insurance premiums and federal tax burden are at a minimum for people in more responsible states.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post

        Apparently this happened as recently as 2011 (https://www.statesman.com/article/20...NEWS/304119704). It gets hot in Texas so homes should generally already be insulated. But why on earth would you put pipes in exterior walls? Have external water heaters? Uninsulated piping? Austin isn't LA or Miami.
        .
        Whenever a state melts down over a totally-predictable weather event that has literally happened there before, I hope that the money they saved by completely ignoring an obvious risk was worth it. I also hope that the ramifications in terms of insurance premiums and federal tax burden are at a minimum for people in more responsible states.
        Agreed. People will die simply becasue of easy to address action items via regulation. Unfortunately learning from prior mistakes costs money. Apparently too much money going into taking care of easily fixable problems means less money for a select few people. GOP has been running Texas for decades. Looking for them to accept responsibility :)
        Last edited by Cackalacky2.0; 02-17-2021, 10:28 AM.
        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

        Comment


        • [TWEET]1361442090979262465[/TWEET]
          "From Chaos comes Clarity"

          Comment


          • My second year of uni, we all took a utility to put under our name and the guy who got gas as his didn't want to put the security deposit down.....We went until mid-Feb until we had heat in our apartment. The thermostat sat around 45-50 for most of December and January, and we huddled around stove when anyone was cooking. Oh, and one of our windows got kicked in by a drunk asshole and the landlord took their sweet time to put up a replacement. A warm day was around -10/14F for Waterloo during the winter.

            What a terrible experience, I hope y'all get your power kicked back on soon enough. Looks like it should be warm by Friday.

            Comment


            • I don’t know anything about building codes down south. I know they don’t have the same kind of hvac I have in MD. But you would think they still have an option with suitable heating. Like others have said it seems like some lazy building codes could have fixed a lot of these issues. Oh by the way the worst might not be there yet. Wait til all of this thaws out. I hope they have a lot of plumbers.
              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

              Comment


              • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                I don’t know anything about building codes down south. I know they don’t have the same kind of hvac I have in MD. But you would think they still have an option with suitable heating. Like others have said it seems like some lazy building codes could have fixed a lot of these issues. Oh by the way the worst might not be there yet. Wait til all of this thaws out. I hope they have a lot of plumbers.
                I dont know what Texas's is like either but my zone on the coast is subtropical and we utilize split system heat pumps. Very few furnaces. The split system heat pump means the actual fan driven a/c and heat coils is in your house (sometime in a closet or sometimes in uninsulated attic). The other portion is the condenser which is ALWAYS outside. The condensor's performance is severely affected by outside air temperature When the outside air temperature gets below 40 degrees heat pumps are notoriously inefficient at doing anything. Below 30? Even less efficient. Might as well turn off the system and get out the kerosene or electric heater.
                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post

                  Stay safe man. You and yours are in my thoughts. If they are cutting off water do you have access to it? I generally have several collapsible plastic water containers we fill up every hurricane just in case. Also a few rain barrels if we get in a pinch for bathing and cooking.
                  They finally cut off my water at midnight. I filled up several pots and water bottles and a big rubber tub inside my actual tub since the plunger seal leaked. I'm just glad I walked to Whole Foods and picked up some drinking water yesterday.

                  They said that the plumbers couldn't get here yesterday so water is staying off. This means I'll probably be without water until Friday at the last.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

                    They finally cut off my water at midnight. I filled up several pots and water bottles and a big rubber tub inside my actual tub since the plunger seal leaked. I'm just glad I walked to Whole Foods and picked up some drinking water yesterday.

                    They said that the plumbers couldn't get here yesterday so water is staying off. This means I'll probably be without water until Friday at the last.
                    Absolutely insane. Hang in there!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

                      They finally cut off my water at midnight. I filled up several pots and water bottles and a big rubber tub inside my actual tub since the plunger seal leaked. I'm just glad I walked to Whole Foods and picked up some drinking water yesterday.

                      They said that the plumbers couldn't get here yesterday so water is staying off. This means I'll probably be without water until Friday at the last.
                      Water goes fast. Stay on top of it and ration. I had to go 13 days without electricity and 9 days without running water during Hugo. It was a struggle after day 4. My family didnt ration very well.
                      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                      Comment


                      • My cousin lives in Austin TX but grew up in the west Chicago suburbs. Was communnicating with her last night via social media. I can't fathom what is happening down there right now. She knows what to do when it comes to driving, leaving a faucet drip for pipes, etc. but most of this is completely out of the control of the residents there. It's frigging awful.
                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                          My cousin lives in Austin TX but grew up in the west Chicago suburbs. Was communnicating with her last night via social media. I can't fathom what is happening down there right now. She knows what to do when it comes to driving, leaving a faucet drip for pipes, etc. but most of this is completely out of the control of the residents there. It's frigging awful.
                          And most who are lucky to have power are likely to get crushed when the bill comes in.

                          Comment


                          • Where I'm at in South Dakota has maybe an inch of snow on the ground. There's parts of Texas that has more snow right now than we have. I feel like we've barely gotten any snow, maybe a foot all winter. Seems like all the big storms have missed us and we get just a dusting. I've used my snow blower once this year.

                            I'll take some snow soon but this a week straight under 0 can leave.
                            There was a great article predicting all of this (well, not the massive infrastructure failure) around maybe two months ago. Basically there were indications the polar vortex was unstable and there were some high pressure systems stuck over the Atlantic and around Siberia. That was likely to push the cold, Arctic air down into the US and Europe. Combined with the ever warmer Gulf waters, it meant there was going to be a ton of snow at the boundary of the system and ridiculous colds with no moisture more in the interior.

                            The worst part about the report being right was that it also predicted this is what we are going to be seeing a lot more of in the future. While winters in most places will likely be generally warmer, that warm air will also lead to more instability in the polar vortex leading to more deep freeze events like this.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post

                              There was a great article predicting all of this (well, not the massive infrastructure failure) around maybe two months ago. Basically there were indications the polar vortex was unstable and there were some high pressure systems stuck over the Atlantic and around Siberia. That was likely to push the cold, Arctic air down into the US and Europe. Combined with the ever warmer Gulf waters, it meant there was going to be a ton of snow at the boundary of the system and ridiculous colds with no moisture more in the interior.

                              The worst part about the report being right was that it also predicted this is what we are going to be seeing a lot more of in the future. While winters in most places will likely be generally warmer, that warm air will also lead to more instability in the polar vortex leading to more deep freeze events like this.
                              I posted about this phenomenon a few years back in the Climate Change thread.
                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                              Comment


                              • More snow coming down here in Indy. Got some more last night and it's still coming down. Highways were completely clear going home last night. This morning the highways were crap.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X