No announcement yet.

Freezageddon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appears Mother Nature has smacked a lot of the country with a Winter blast. Got out the snow blower for the first time in three years last night. Got another 4 inches overnight and will have to use it again when I get home. Texans were in for a shock!

Comment

• Other than any serious injuries or hardships...it is a bit fun to see others get lit up by Father Winter from time to time.
      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

• Where I'm at in South Dakota has maybe an inch of snow on the ground. There's parts of Texas that has more snow right now than we have. I feel like we've barely gotten any snow, maybe a foot all winter. Seems like all the big storms have missed us and we get just a dusting. I've used my snow blower once this year.

I'll take some snow soon but this a week straight under 0 can leave.

Comment

• We got 5 inches of snow on top of up to a quarter inch of ice. That's not too big of a problem in the grand scheme of things. But the proper authorities did an absolutely awful job of preparing for this. Rolling blackouts that aren't rolling all that much and have generally left people without power for huge periods of time. A coworker has been with his family without power since late Sunday night. And everything is ran on electricity here, just a terrible situation all around. Friday should bring a little relief, but probably not too much. We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow, I think.

And my apartment just said they're cutting off my building's water because plumbers can't get out here. Looks like I'm out of water for possibly the next few days.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
            We got 5 inches of snow on top of up to a quarter inch of ice. That's not too big of a problem in the grand scheme of things. But the proper authorities did an absolutely awful job of preparing for this. Rolling blackouts that aren't rolling all that much and have generally left people without power for huge periods of time. A coworker has been with his family without power since late Sunday night. And everything is ran on electricity here, just a terrible situation all around. Friday should bring a little relief, but probably not too much. We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow, I think.

And my apartment just said they're cutting off my building's water because plumbers can't get out here. Looks like I'm out of water for possibly the next few days.
            Yikes. I’ve been following what’s going on down there and sounds like it was a failure all around by ERCOT

Comment

• around 10' here. reminder to any newly weds - do your best to not let your wife suprise you with a new snowblower. it likely wont be want you want/need.

luckily we didnt get hit to hard last year so i barely had to use it. It can only handle about 5" of soft stuff and if its super wet and heavy maybe 2/3". so yesterday i went out around noon when there was 1.5" just to try adn keep up with it. worked good. did both my neighbors to try and give them a lil help before it really built up on them. i went back out at 6pm got the driveway done. went to start on the sidewalk and my drive belt snaps. couldnt have even been the 5th time i got it out.

thankfully a solid neighbor came and blew the driveway this morning.
              Prehistoric

Comment

• My driveway is 100' and two cars wide so I bought a pretty decent one. Seems like I had to shovel the driveway all the time until I bought it. Since then it hasn't snowed that much. Go figure. Another wave predicted to hit the same areas, so stay warm and safe driving.

Comment

• Texas has snow and North Carolina has a tornados. Interesting.
                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• My A/C is normally set to 22C, but my wife changed it to 21C. Freaking freezing I was. I stepped outside and was introduced to33C and sun. It was an ordeal.

Comment

• 4 degrees this morning. Ugh!

Comment

• I hope for the best for all you guys slogging it out in this insanity. On a side note and not on anything close to what you guys are seeing, its rained for a two weeks straight here on the coast. Also the daily temperature has typically been around 30-40 in the mornings climbing to 50s during day and back down again.

Two nights ago though it was 30s all day, and then the temp climbed to 70 degrees over night and then back down to 40s by the morning. lol WTF?
                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Just looking at my driveway makes me cringe. I've cleared snow off of it so many times in the last three weeks I can't stomach looking at that slab of pavement anymore.
                          It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                            We got 5 inches of snow on top of up to a quarter inch of ice. That's not too big of a problem in the grand scheme of things. But the proper authorities did an absolutely awful job of preparing for this. Rolling blackouts that aren't rolling all that much and have generally left people without power for huge periods of time. A coworker has been with his family without power since late Sunday night. And everything is ran on electricity here, just a terrible situation all around. Friday should bring a little relief, but probably not too much. We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow, I think.

Stay safe man. You and yours are in my thoughts. If they are cutting off water do you have access to it? I generally have several collapsible plastic water containers we fill up every hurricane just in case. Also a few rain barrels if we get in a pinch for bathing and cooking.
                            "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• I was hoping this would be enough to make the Apostle Islands Ice Caves accessible. We've spent a lot of time below -20 lately and up north it's been even colder.
                              I looked up the statistics for several Texas cities and discovered that their record lows were below 0 for seven months of the year. I can't imagine why the infrastructure isn't designed to handle a little bit of cold, as it's clearly happened several times before and will happen again. Was the money saved on pipe insulation and a durable power grid worth it?

Comment

• Originally posted by MNIrishman View Post
                                I was hoping this would be enough to make the Apostle Islands Ice Caves accessible. We've spent a lot of time below -20 lately and up north it's been even colder.
                                I looked up the statistics for several Texas cities and discovered that their record lows were below 0 for seven months of the year. I can't imagine why the infrastructure isn't designed to handle a little bit of cold, as it's clearly happened several times before and will happen again. Was the money saved on pipe insulation and a durable power grid worth it?
                                We too have been rather chilly lately.
                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Working...
                                X