Movies you just saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies you just saw

Okay, let's call this thread pretty self-explanatory; you discuss films you've just seen recently (either for the first time or for the umpteenth time)

I just saw "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind." It's George Clooney's directorial debut about the (supposed) life of Chuck Barris, television producer and purported CIA hit man. I heard it was solid but I'm wary of Clooney material as he is apt to load his movies with predictable leftist claptrap. It was really engaging, I must say. The leftist nonsense was minimal. 2 things, tough; you must have a healthy tolerance for the sight of Sam Rockwell's butt. Also, it occurred to me that while Julia Roberts is incredible striking, lovely, and charismatic she is not the least bit sexy or alluring. Seriously, minor female characters in this movie blew her away with regard to sex appeal. It seems minor and silly, but my wife and I agree that it is difficult to buy a man throwing himself at this woman with unbridled passion.
    Last edited by Black Irish; 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM. Reason: ..

End of Watch ... amazing!
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

It's been a bit...

Les Miserables.... Wow, such a great film. It's a tear jerker. But the live action singing really, really makes the movie. It creates a nice intermediate from traditional film musicals to theater musicals. Also, the cast was essentially perfect. Anne, Jackman, Crowe, Seyfried, and the lesser names were tremendous as well... Sacha Baron Cohen was hilarious too.

I highly recommend this film. Tremendous.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
        It's been a bit...

Les Miserables.... Wow, such a great film. It's a tear jerker. But the live action singing really, really makes the movie. It creates a nice intermediate from traditional film musicals to theater musicals. Also, the cast was essentially perfect. Anne, Jackman, Crowe, Seyfried, and the lesser names were tremendous as well... Sacha Baron Cohen was hilarious too.

I highly recommend this film. Tremendous.
        I've been hearing good stuff about this movie (Russell Crowe's singing non-withstanding). I'll certainly check it out when it hits DVD. Any thoughts to how it stand up to the Liam Neeson/Geoffrey Rush version?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Irish View Post
          Okay, let's call this thread pretty self-explanatory; you discuss films you've just seen recently (either for the first time or for the umpteenth time)
          I just told you in a different thread. "Zorba the Greek," dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Irish View Post
            I've been hearing good stuff about this movie (Russell Crowe's singing non-withstanding). I'll certainly check it out when it hits DVD. Any thoughts to how it stand up to the Liam Neeson/Geoffrey Rush version?
            Honestly, I haven't seen the Neeson version since I was young. I couldn't compare. I was with multiple family members that said it was much better than that version.

As for Crowe, his seeing wasn't "pretty" like you might expect on Broadway. However, I actually liked the gritty tone. It made the movie sound more believable. Sometimes over singing takes away from the movie imo. The "normalness" in his voice was pleasing to hear.

I highly recommend. It's still in theaters in my area, maybe you could still catch it there. I'm more of a movie theater kind of guy. But if you can't make, definitely worth watching on DVD. The better the sound system you play it on, the better.

Enjoy!

Comment

The Other Guys gas really grown on me lately.. Blu ray

Comment

Saw Zero Dark Thirty. While it was good, did not live up to the hype IMO. Pretty darn good acting from the leads, just slow in spots.
                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                  Saw Zero Dark Thirty. While it was good, did not live up to the hype IMO. Pretty darn good acting from the leads, just slow in spots.
                  Very slow! I loved it though.. just took a while.
                  When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

Dark Knight rises.
                    Enjoyed it more than any other movie of the trilogy.
                    RIP KMC 4/15/13

Comment

Just got home from "The Last Stand." Not a Stephen King novel, the Schwarzenegger comeback vehicle. And when I say comeback, I mean propped up on a stick on camera for 90 minutes.

A few chortles the last 30 minutes. Glad I didn't pay for it.
                      "I do believe there's a Squatch in these woods."

Comment

Argo - must see. Who knew Ben Affleck would turn out to be this good of a director?

Silver Linings Playbook - good, but I would classify it as an "Oscar Movie." Meaning it is full of good acting performances but overall the movie is a B and not really re-watchable.

This is 40 - Good, but can wait for Netflix/Redbox

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIrishFan1 View Post
                          Argo - must see. Who knew Ben Affleck would turn out to be this good of a director?

Silver Linings Playbook - good, but I would classify it as an "Oscar Movie." Meaning it is full of good acting performances but overall the movie is a B and not really re-watchable.

This is 40 - Good, but can wait for Netflix/Redbox
                          This x1000. Best movie I saw from 2012. Alan Arkin is the man.

Been trying to catch movies from the comedy draft we did on IE last summer that I hadn't watched. Dr. Strangelove is an all time classic.
                          "Nine out of ten times it's an electric razor, but every once in a while..."

Comment

Django Unchained. Great movie, but a little long. Tarantino could have easily cut out 30 minutes or so out of the movie and I think it would have flowed much better. Christoph Waltz, Jamie Fox, Don Johnson, Leo DiCaprio and Sam Jackson are all brilliant characters and the typical Tarantino-esque witty dialogue made me laugh out loud throughout the movie. I didn't like the ending, but I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it. Tarantino needs to stick to writing / directing and leave the acting to the actors. He has a 10-15 minute cameo as an Australian character and his acting (especially his phony accent) is absolutely awful! There is quite a bit of gratuitous gore, so definitely not a movie if you don't like to see blood (my wife hated it for this reason). Overall, if you like Tarantino movies you will not be disappointed and I highly recommend seeing it on the big screen while you can!
                            The future of Fighting Irish football is looking bright!!!

Comment

Win Win.. another solid Paul Giamatti flick.

Comment

Working...
                              X