PDA

View Full Version : '10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Notre Dame Man)

Pages : [1] 2

The Polish Irishman
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Athlete
Littleton, Colorado
Columbine High School

Ht: 6-3
Wt: 232
40: 4.68
Shuttle: 4.5
Vertical: 31.5

Ranking:
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:; #22 ATH; Rating 5.8
Scout: :s::s::s:; #13 MLB
ESPN: :s::s::s:; #39 ATH; Grade 78

Offers:
ND (OV 1/29/10 NO Offer)
Stanford (OV 1/15/10)
TCU (OV 1/22/10)

Colorado (Decommit 11/28; Commit 4/16)
Duke
Wyoming (Camp '09)

ND Recruiter: Alford

Decision: 2/1/10 Notre Dame

The Polish Irishman
12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Recently decommited from CU. Has a visit setup for Stanford on 1-15-10. Could visit ND on Jan. 22nd. The weekend of the 22nd could be a big recruiting weekend for the Irish.

Blue-chips' departure leaves CU, CSU feeling blue - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14039539)

YouTube - Danny Spond (Football) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8CPPw2px_k)

Big23Head
12-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Saw this yesterday, seems like a pretty good player.

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Recently decommited from CU. Has a visit setup for Stanford on 1-15-10. Could visit ND on Jan. 22nd. The weekend of the 22nd could be a big recruiting weekend for the Irish.

Blue-chips' departure leaves CU, CSU feeling blue - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14039539)

YouTube - Danny Spond (Football) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8CPPw2px_k)

How do you justify this a big recruiting week? I understand if Kelly is making a push for guys like Riley and Henderson, but a guy like Danny Spond is far from a big recruiting week.

The Polish Irishman
12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
The 22nd being a weekend where he can host multiple recruits before Signing Day. Henderson is a pipe dream.

Also, don't let his offer list fool you. This kid can play. Committed early to CU, many schools did not recruit him because they thought he was a CU lock, but after this season he changed his mind.

IrishFern
12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
The 22nd being a weekend where he can host multiple recruits before Signing Day. Henderson is a pipe dream.

Also, don't let his offer list fool you. This kid can play. Committed early to CU, many schools did not recruit him because they thought he was a CU lock, but after this season he changed his mind.

what 17 year old is a lock? Martin?

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM

I see the hosting more recruits, but the fact is Kelly is trying to sell an unfinish product. He has only 1 position coach on his staff(Alford) as of now. Secondly, I don't buy the "he was a lock so other school gave up on him" everybody thought Bryce Brown was a Miami lock but did that stop other schools? All I see from that flim is him playing the QB position more than anything which I'm not that impressed. What position is being looked at? We already 2 top QB coming in.

NDinL.A.
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I see the hosting more recruits, but the fact is Kelly is trying to sell an unfinish product. He has only 1 position coach on his staff(Alford) as of now. Secondly, I don't buy the "he was a lock so other school gave up on him" everybody thought Bryce Brown was a Miami lock but did that stop other schools? All I see from that flim is him playing the QB position more than anything which I'm not that impressed. What position is being looked at? We already 2 top QB coming in.

Do you really think by Jan 22nd a staff won't be in place? Really?

C'mon, he's going to announce the staff shortly. He's already spilled the beans to a couple recruits. It'l come out FAR ealrier than the 22nd. That weekend is going to be a huge weekend for recruiting, whether you want to believe it or not as many who haven't taken their OV's (i.e. Matt James) will use that weekend to do it and meet the new coaching staff.

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Do you really think by Jan 22nd a staff won't be in place? Really?

C'mon, he's going to announce the staff shortly. He's already spilled the beans to a couple recruits. It'l come out FAR ealrier than the 22nd. That weekend is going to be a huge weekend for recruiting, whether you want to believe it or not as many who haven't taken their OV's (i.e. Matt James) will use that weekend to do it and meet the new coaching staff.

Sorry that I'm not all over Kelly nuts in recruiting like some others on this board. Fact is, Kelly is going to fill the holes where he thinks that needs to be filled, but I don't see any top prospects walking through the door this year. Matt James is a great player at a dire position, but that is few far and between I see we'll get besides what we have on board.

The Polish Irishman
12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
You do realize this kid is ranked higher than most of our committed recruits

mbeckha
12-22-2009, 12:59 PM
They need to offer him. I can't stand reading peoples negative opinion all the time about if there stars are high enough.

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
You do realize this kid is ranked higher than most of our committed recruits

9 players on our team have 5.8 or higher..

fitz_bu47
12-22-2009, 01:36 PM
The kid is big and can run.....hmm I wonder if we could use him???? A 5.8 ranking on Rivals would put him pretty high overall in our class.

BGIF
12-22-2009, 02:12 PM
... All I see from that flim is him playing the QB position more than anything which I'm not that impressed. What position is being looked at? We already 2 top QB coming in.

Yes, we already have 2 QBs. Like many HS athletes they play were there team needs them. He's apparently the best QB on his team. Zibikowski was HS QB as was Goodman and Banks. Lots of HS QBs move to other positions in college and do well.

One of Cerrato's best talents was the ability "to see" a HS recruit at another position in college. He and Holtz were very successful at it.

A lot of coaches recruited Tate as a RB which he was. Weis saw a WR and Tate became an All-American.

I don't know where Kelly sees him. Rivals and ESPN rate him as an Athlete. Scout has him as their 10th ranked MLB. Not too shabby. Spond weighed 209 as a Junior at a Combine. Now he weighs 232. Today he's probably a LB. Could be a TE. Could very well grow into a DE. Point is he's athletic and available.

BGIF
12-22-2009, 02:26 PM
9 players on our team have 5.8 or higher..

Yep, and only one is rated higher at 5.9 which means Spond would be the second highest rated player in ND's class.

Notre Dame Commit List for 2010 (http://notredame.rivals.com/commitlist.asp)

Shame on The Polish Irishman for saying higher than most when Spond would only be tied for 2nd place in the class.

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, we already have 2 QBs. Like many HS athletes they play were there team needs them. He's apparently the best QB on his team. Zibikowski was HS QB as was Goodman and Banks. Lots of HS QBs move to other positions in college and do well.

One of Cerrato's best talents was the ability "to see" a HS recruit at another position in college. He and Holtz were very successful at it.

A lot of coaches recruited Tate as a RB which he was. Weis saw a WR and Tate became an All-American.

I don't know where Kelly sees him. Rivals and ESPN rate him as an Athlete. Scout has him as their 10th ranked MLB. Not too shabby. Spond weighed 209 as a Junior at a Combine. Now he weighs 232. Today he's probably a LB. Could be a TE. Could very well grow into a DE. Point is he's athletic and available.

To sit here and jump for joy saying ND needs to offer him when his film is far from impressive, I just don't see it. With his size I'd offer him at a DE position and than turn around and go after Barr as a runningback. With so much RB depth Kelly could run a Chip Kelly type spread. A 2 back pound the ball spread system with over the top assault. Than I'd ride the Kelly wagon but until than, I just don't see anything impressive with this recruit, there are plenty recruits like Spond out there.

NDinL.A.
12-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry that I'm not all over Kelly nuts in recruiting like some others on this board. Fact is, Kelly is going to fill the holes where he thinks that needs to be filled, but I don't see any top prospects walking through the door this year. Matt James is a great player at a dire position, but that is few far and between I see we'll get besides what we have on board.

So what's your point? Do you realize how difficult it is to recruit after a coaching change, especially one in which the staff had forged very close relationships with all the recruits? I highly doubt you do.

Let me ask you this: Do you think Meyer is a great recruiter and football coach? How about Nick Saban. Aside from Poodle, those 2 are generally regarded as the top 2 coaches in college football today. Do you want to know how many 5 star recruits they signed their first recruiting season on the job combined? ZERO. You want to know how many 2 stars they combined to sign? THREE. They both signed far more 3 stars than they did 4 stars. So...how do you think they turned out?

I'm not saying you have to worship everything Kelly does. But at least take a step back and let him do his job. Guys like you have questioned everything he does regarding recruiting (not calling recruits, not enough of a personality, ignoring certain recruits), and everything questioned of him has been answered by the recruits themselves, all of whom have had nothing but great things to say about him. None of us know what he is doing behind the scenes, but yet people still rip him for everything they THINK he does or doesn't do. Ridiculous.

mbeckha: They need to offer him. I can't stand reading peoples negative opinion all the time about if there stars are high enough.

A poster on ISD who knows him said his family told him he got an ND offer last week. That's far from a reliable source, but it's December, and we're not in a bowl game, so I'm grasping at straws here for ND news LOL...

NDinL.A.
12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
One more thing: Dirty Secret, you talked about him not having a staff in place by the 22nd of January, which I said was ridiculous. Well, he said in an interview that he already has both coordinators lined up. I haven't read the whole thing but I believe he's awaiting to announce the entire staff at the same time...

BGIF
12-22-2009, 02:47 PM
How do you justify this a big recruiting week? I understand if Kelly is making a push for guys like Riley and Henderson, but a guy like Danny Spond is far from a big recruiting week.

Due to ND winters, historically ND has recruits on campus during the season or for the Banquet. The coaching change put a kaboosh on the Banquet as a recruiting tool. So seeing how there are few weekends left in this recruiting year, if one recruit was hosted it would be a "big" weekend.

WabashFalcon
12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
x2.

Love this kid. My aunt's daughter and son go to Columbine and they have nothing but great things to say about the kid. I'm pumped... hopefully the rumor about him getting an offer is true.

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 03:11 PM
So what's your point? Do you realize how difficult it is to recruit after a coaching change, especially one in which the staff had forged very close relationships with all the recruits? I highly doubt you do.

Let me ask you this: Do you think Meyer is a great recruiter and football coach? How about Nick Saban. Aside from Poodle, those 2 are generally regarded as the top 2 coaches in college football today. Do you want to know how many 5 star recruits they signed their first recruiting season on the job combined? ZERO. You want to know how many 2 stars they combined to sign? THREE. They both signed far more 3 stars than they did 4 stars. So...how do you think they turned out?

I'm not saying you have to worship everything Kelly does. But at least take a step back and let him do his job. Guys like you have questioned everything he does regarding recruiting (not calling recruits, not enough of a personality, ignoring certain recruits), and everything questioned of him has been answered by the recruits themselves, all of whom have had nothing but great things to say about him. None of us know what he is doing behind the scenes, but yet people still rip him for everything they THINK he does or doesn't do. Ridiculous.

A poster on ISD who knows him said his family told him he got an ND offer last week. That's far from a reliable source, but it's December, and we're not in a bowl game, so I'm grasping at straws here for ND news LOL...

You do realize Meyer and Saban are in the SEC and recruit in the SEC. Whare a team full of 3* SEC players will get you by for a year or 2 to fill holes. They're athletic, faster, and don't have to worry about a high standard. Kind of a bad example to use when both Saban and Meyer have hell a lot more leeway than a coach who coaches at ND.

NDinL.A.
12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
You do realize Meyer and Saban are in the SEC and recruit in the SEC. Whare a team full of 3* SEC players will get you by for a year or 2 to fill holes. They're athletic, faster, and don't have to worry about a high standard. Kind of a bad example to use when both Saban and Meyer have hell a lot more leeway than a coach who coaches at ND.

Are you serious??? Did you really just say that a team full of 3 star athletes will get you by for a year or 2 in the SEC??? Is that why Vanderbilt and Kentucky are crushing it with their 3 stars?

My example was fine. A coach at Alabama doesn't have a helluva lot more leeway than ND. He has more, but not that much more. Those people want to win just as badly as we do, believe me, and they put TONS of pressure on their coaches. Please. The point is that those guys are damn good coaches and damn good recruiters, and even they couldn't get 5 star guys their first year. You expecting Kelly to be above the best recruiters and coaches in the game is ridiculous and ignorant. He's been on the job 2 friggin' weeks and you're already talking shit. He has still has a chance at a couple of studs but that doesn't matter...to you he's not doing his job. That's completely ridiculous...

Big23Head
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Well I understand the concerns by everyone and people make good points. But regardless how about we give Kelly a chance with these guys and see how he does instead of this back and forth stuff. Things are just fine

DirtySecret
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Deleted.

This is a recruit's profile. Discussing what position he plays is appropos here. Arguing about "big weekends", parsing the number of 5.8 ratings, and the majority of your posts here have nothing to do with this recruit.

You've been indulged enough here. Desist in this thread. Take your coaching/recruiting whine to a general recruiting thread.

NDinL.A.
12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Kentucky
06 7-5(plus bowl win)
07 7-5
08 7-5 (plus bowl win)
09 7-5

that 4 years straight with a .500 win percentage in the SEC. Can ND say the same?

Nope, and I must say...thank you for making my point for me. ND can't say the same...THAT'S WHY WE HIRED BRIAN KELLY. That's the whole point...he's a proven winner taking over a losing program, and in less than 2 weeks you're already ripping him. Think about it.

ANyways, this is a recruit's page. In about an hour BGIF will come here and delete all these messages, and if he doesn't, I will. I'll give you time to read this; respond to it in a recruiting or football thread but NOT HERE. ...

BearGB
12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Take it to a general recruiting or football thread

Big23Head
12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Ok ok take heed this is Danny Spond's recruiting profile.

He looks like he could be an asset down the road. Big LB or DE down the road. First week of January will be interesting.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Any possibility this kid could playe safety? He seems agile enough.

And is it that the same Columbine that had the shooting? If yes, that's kinda eerie for reasons I can't explain haha.

BGIF
12-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Any possibility this kid could playe safety? He seems agile enough.

And is it that the same Columbine that had the shooting? If yes, that's kinda eerie for reasons I can't explain haha.

Safety is one of the positions the recruiting services mentioned but if he's 232 as a HS Senior chances are his growing isn't over and he will outgrow that position - soon. He'd have to freeze his weight or lose some to play safety. And Scout notes his pass coverage as a weakness. Here's their comments:

Spond is an intriguing prospect. At 6-3 230, he has the size to line up anywhere from QB, FB, LB, S or even DE or H-back but plays QB on offense on a team that doesn't throw the ball much. Plays linebacker on defense which could end up being his spot in college. Has great size and can really run for a kid this big. Closes on the ball well and will tackle with authority.

Maddog77
12-23-2009, 01:39 AM
I think there's a chance that if he's been offered, it might be a backup plan in case Hendrix changes his mind on ND.

mbeckha
12-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I think there's a chance that if he's been offered, it might be a backup plan in case Hendrix changes his mind on ND.

First let me laugh at this for a minute. Now let me explain that in no way are we looking at him for quaterback. That was pretty funny though.

BGIF
12-23-2009, 06:26 AM

I don't think so. He plays for a HS team that doesn't throw the ball much. I'd think he'd make a run at Luke Massa first. Massa verballed to UC but had an interest in ND. Rees will be here and Banks was a HS QB more suited to Kelly's offense at QB than he was Weis's.

JefMaj
12-23-2009, 12:30 PM
First let me laugh at this for a minute. Now let me explain that in no way are we looking at him for quaterback. That was pretty funny though.

Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II......

bornready85
12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Like Barr...This kid looks like a potentially ideal 3-4 OLB. I hope we get him.

Maddog77
12-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Per Scouts he is visiting ND on Jan 29th, right before NSD.

BGIF
12-24-2009, 04:39 AM

He's also visiting Stanford on 1/15 and TCU on 1/22. Neither ND nor TCU have offered yet according to Scout.

mbeckha
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II......

Lets be serious/

JefMaj
12-24-2009, 05:47 PM
If we were serious... Tebow wouldn't be a name known in 2009... cost Florida a chance at the NC and had numbers that wouldn't make people placed him in the top 40 QB's... I was being sarcastic... He won a NC last year... he was on a team that won one in 2006... and he waon the Heisman in 2007... the Heisman is becoming meaningless... case in point: Tebow as invited. Had he QB'd any other 12-1 team in the country and had his 2009 numbers alone.... you wouldn't know his name.

WabashFalcon
12-25-2009, 10:54 AM

LOVE THIS. I always love having the lost shot at landing a guy. ND will be fresh in his mind come NSD.

BGIF
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
... I always love having the lost shot ...

I bet you do.

Polish Leppy 22
01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Not to go off topic, but anyone look at this kid's high school and think....damn. that was a long time ago.

BGIF
01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame football: Crist doing his part to woo QB recruit Hendrix (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100102/SPORTS13/100109948/1021/Sports)

1/2/10 Eric Hansen

The first prospect to schedule an official visit to ND with Kelly as the head coach is Danny Spond, a 6-3, 232-pound multi-position prospect from Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo.

Spond, who prefers to play quarterback but is open to playing other positions, is scheduled to visit ND the weekend of Jan. 29.

Lemming likes Spond, originally a Colorado commit, at linebacker. The other schools in his new final three are Stanford and TCU

Somebody mentioned Kelly possibly looking at Spond as a QB and I disagreed. Apparently Spond disagrees with me.

Stanford had a QB verbal decommit this past week as he hadn't been cleared by Stanford Admissions. They have an opening.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
They have Luck QB'ing Stanford for the next two years, and a blue chipper waiting in the wings in Josh Nunes. I also think they have another QB committed to their class. If Spond intends to play QB, Stanford is not the place. Now ifhe wants to be realistic and see that he could be a fantastic OLB, come on down and don the Blue and Gold

Big23Head
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Danny was OFFERED today, his OV is 1/29/10 to ND

Danny Spond - Yahoo! Sports (http://rivals.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Danny-Spond-86338)

IrishAddiction
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Danny was OFFERED today, his OV is 1/29/10 to ND

Danny Spond - Yahoo! Sports (http://rivals.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Danny-Spond-86338)

Thats great news for ND! Kid looks like a hell of an athlete i would be glad to have him on board.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Good move Kelly

IrishAddiction
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
TCU has now offered as well according to rivals.

irishff1014
01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Hopefully they can make a sweet offer to him to lure him to South bend. Come on Kelly we know you can do it.

HereComeTheIrish
01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Hopefully they can make a sweet offer to him to lure him to South bend. Come on Kelly we know you can do it.

What sweet offer would you be speaking of? We can offer a free education from one of the finest Universities in the country. Should there be more?

BGIF
01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
What sweet offer would you be speaking of? We can offer a free education from one of the finest Universities in the country. ...

He's got that sweet offer!

BGIF
01-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Looking for some info on Spond I noticed Scout has him listed for a Combine in '08. While looking for his numbers I stumbled across Kadron Boone's numbers for '08.

The '08 data from left to right is: HT, WT, 40, Shuttle, Vertical, 3-Cone, Broad Jump

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=Cell-1_uxResults border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFF99'" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#EEEEEE'" vAlign=center><TD>Danny Spond (JR)
(Columbine HS)
Littleton, CO </TD><TD>6-1.5</TD><TD>209</TD><TD>4.68</TD><TD>4.50</TD><TD>31.5"</TD><TD>7.54</TD><TD>8-10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=Cell-1_uxResults border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eeeeee" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFF99'" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#EEEEEE'" vAlign=center><TD>Kadron Boone (JR)
(Trinity Catholic)
Ocala, FL </TD><TD>5-11.5</TD><TD>184</TD><TD>4.62</TD><TD>4.47</TD><TD>25.5"</TD><TD>7.53</TD><TD>8-10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Spond is listed currently at 6-3 232 but a year ago 25 pounds heavier than WR Boone he was step for step with him or better in the combine events. Spond could play a number of positions.

Riddickulous
01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
He plays for Columbine High School? Weird.

NDinL.A.
01-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I want this kid to be Irish. Great article on him on ISD; he's a great kid with obviously great size and athleticism. For those who don't know about Kelly's recruiting style, he breaks his players into 3 categories, as opposed to straight positions. I won't hijack Spond's threads by breaking it down, but Spond is known as a "Big Skill" player in Kelly's recruiting system. In other words, he's an athlete, adn wherever he fits in best is where we'll play him. In the past, ND has not gotten these types of players.

He was excited to get the offer last Thurdsay morning after a 20 min conversation with BK. Says he wants to give QB a try, but if not he'll play anywhere the team needs him. As excited as he genuinely sounded, he doesn't have a favorite at all he says. He's taking an OV to Stanford this weekend, then TCU, and finally ND the last weekend. It's nice we get the last shot.

Oh, and he got hurt 6 games into his senior year (head injury) and had to sit the rest of the season, and with ND's history of commits getting hurt their senior year, that helps us tremendously LOL...

The Polish Irishman
01-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Spond may not visit Stanford this weekend. It looks like it may be done to TCU and ND.

BGIF
01-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Oh, and he got hurt 6 games into his senior year (head injury) and had to sit the rest of the season, and with ND's history of commits getting hurt their senior year, that helps us tremendously LOL...

Sounds like a lock!

BCSorBust
01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I want this kid to be Irish. Great article on him on ISD; he's a great kid with obviously great size and athleticism. For those who don't know about Kelly's recruiting style, he breaks his players into 3 categories, as opposed to straight positions. I won't hijack Spond's threads by breaking it down, but Spond is known as a "Big Skill" player in Kelly's recruiting system. In other words, he's an athlete, adn wherever he fits in best is where we'll play him. In the past, ND has not gotten these types of players.

He was excited to get the offer last Thurdsay morning after a 20 min conversation with BK. Says he wants to give QB a try, but if not he'll play anywhere the team needs him. As excited as he genuinely sounded, he doesn't have a favorite at all he says. He's taking an OV to Stanford this weekend, then TCU, and finally ND the last weekend. It's nice we get the last shot.

Can you either PM me about the three categories or post a link on this post about it. I haven't heard about that yet but would like to know.

As far as this kid goes I would love him to come and he's looking like a good possibility

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Hahahaha how sad is that that locks for us involve season-ending injuries in recruits' senior year? That means we get Barr too then right haha?

That would be two big-skilled players for us.

BGIF
01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Notre Dame Football - Recruiting Week in Review (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/football/1765-joe-bradshaw)

The interview was done by ISD's Steve Wiltfong

Turns out this wasn't a "new find" by Kelly and Company. Weis's staff had made the initial contacts. But when Kelly called rather than the introductry smooze he cut to the chase.

He (Kelly) said youíre the type of person we want and you have the size and the speed and we want to extend a scholarship to you. A normal conversation that turned into that, which changed my day and possibly the rest of my life.

Spond's calendar is full up for the rest of the 2010 recruiting season. He was just at Stanford goes to TCU this weekend and ND the last weekend of recruiting season. He didn't have a favorite prior to the viisits.

I donít have a lean right now, itís standing straight up and down. Theyíre all amazing programs academically and all have their own things to offer athletically with their football programs.Iím looking for a place I can live outside the regular season and how am I going to fit into the program and how the coach is and do we get along.

Kelly's recruiting Spond as an ATH.

He said if you come here weíll find the best fit and wherever that may be, thatís where itíll be.

More at the link.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I think this kid could be a great lb. I don't see where else we would consider playing this kid

Domina Nostra
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I think he would be a big pick-up because he could provide emergency depth at QB (God forbid) while we develop him as a LB.

We need more quality athletes at both positions.

BGIF
01-19-2010, 05:07 PM
I think this kid could be a great lb. I don't see where else we would consider playing this kid

Is he done growing? He's already at playing size for QB, LB or a TE. If he grows he's a DE, if he adds a lot of weigth he's DT. He's athletic, available, and interested.

SoJerseyIrish
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
athletic, available, and interested.

.......and isn't that what we all want......

BGIF
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
.......and isn't that what we all want......

Sounds high on Kelly's want list as well.

SoJerseyIrish
01-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Sounds high on Kelly's want list as well.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about women, LOL

WabashFalcon
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Is he done growing? He's already at playing size for QB, LB or a TE. If he grows he's a DE, if he adds a lot of weigth he's DT. He's athletic, available, and interested.

Or we can always have a 6'7 Safety...

Big23Head
01-27-2010, 12:15 PM
FWIW over at DD a guy (dacoach) states he has a friend in the SID at ND and says Roback and Spond verbally committed and to expect announcements in the next couple days.

IrishInFl
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
FWIW over at DD a guy (dacoach) states he has a friend in the SID at ND and says Roback and Spond verbally committed and to expect announcements in the next couple days.

What's SID?

BCSorBust
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Sports Information Department?

IrishInFl
01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks!

Big23Head
01-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Sports Information Department?

yes

DomeisourHome
01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah that's what SID means. That's where my sister works.

fitz_bu47
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
In a rivals article I just read Spond is quoted as dropping Stanford, down to ND and TCU.

IrishAddiction
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I like both TCU and ND..... but i have an obvious favorite for this one.

chyrspchuck
01-28-2010, 04:55 PM
sounds great, sounds like we are in for old Danny if he has a good weekend. It's exciting to be in the running with so many recruits up until the end.

iMANTIusc
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
it would be nice to get danny and I hope we do and I think we will, but dacoach over on DD also said that we would be getting a surprise commit over on DD and said it would be a defensive player on the west coast FWIW.

CuerVo0220
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
In a rivals article I just read Spond is quoted as dropping Stanford, down to ND and TCU.

No disrespect to TCU but when did it get to the point where they could actually compete with ND for recruits? I mean, really? What's there to decide, it's freakin Notre Dame!!!

NDinL.A.
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
it would be nice to get danny and I hope we do and I think we will, but dacoach over on DD also said that we would be getting a surprise commit over on DD and said it would be a defensive player on the west coast FWIW.

Just so everyone knows, DD = DomerDomain, another ND site, very good site. Dacoach is a poster who says he has ins at ND. He was the first one to say that Crist had an ACL injury instead of just a normal knee injury. He's also drawn the wrath of several posters over there with some incorrect predictions, including a 'surprise commit' awhile back that never panned out. I rarely go over there anymore, but I spent an hour reading their site a few weeks back and there was a long thread about dacoach and how he was horrible/great, depending on your perspective. Hope he's right on this one...

NDinL.A.
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Yeah, that was known aver a week ago, but it looks like Colorado just jumped back into the mix. How he could pick Colorado after the mess they were is beyond me. Hawkins is on his last legs ever there. Now, if he wants to stay local and it was his dream to play there, then I can understand. Otherwise, I'd have to think TCU (let's not even trip guys, they've been pretty damn good in recent years, and we haven't exactly set the world on fire the past 3 yrs) and ND have to be better options for the kid. Check out this article:

Colorado and Notre Dame still on QB Spond's radar
By Natalie Meisler
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/28/2010 06:25:16 PM MST
Updated: 01/28/2010 06:29:37 PM MST

Columbine's Danny Spond. (Judy DeHaas, The Denver Post)Colorado applied a three-on-one press Thursday in an effort to influence Columbine High School quarterback Danny Spond to recommit to the Big 12 school.

The Buffs are back in the picture, but Spond said he will still take his official visit to Notre Dame today. Stay tuned. He might not announce the winner until signing day Wednesday.

Spond is the second-ranked college prospect in the state, according to Rivals.com. He said he drove to Boulder on his own Thursday to meet with CU coach Dan Hawkins, athletic director Mike Bohn and chancellor Phil DiStefano.

The four-star prospect committed to CU last April, then de-committed in November in the wake of a 3-9 season and uncertainty over Hawkins' future.

"It was a great meeting," Spond said. "I believe Coach Hawkins is a great man, a great coach. He wants the right type of guys and wants to be successful. He took over CU when it was a mess and it takes time to rebuild."

He said Hawkins didn't attempt to sway him from taking the trip to South Bend. Last week, Spond visited TCU.

He applauded Hawkins for not taking a negative recruiting approach. He won't hint where he's leaning, or if he even knows. As for holding out on an announcement until Wednesday, he said, "I try to keep everyone on their toes."

Natalie Meisler: 303 954-1295 or nmeisler@denverpost.com.

Read more: Breaking News - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/) ... z0dxexD7f9

IanBr22
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
No disrespect to TCU but when did it get to the point where they could actually compete with ND for recruits? I mean, really? What's there to decide, it's freakin Notre Dame!!!

No disrespect meant to you, but TCU is averaging 10.6/season over the last 5 seasons. ND isn't exactly racking up the wins. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, don't get me wrong, but winning is more enjoyable than losing. I'd think he's considering a proven winner, and one that can make it to the BCS too. I still think he's Irish, JMO.

chyrspchuck
01-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I hope BK can do some talking to this kid, let him know what's right.

I think BK will for sure turn us around before Hawkins turns CU.

robertjtucker
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
According to his
Scout.com: ‚ÄúLoving it Here‚ÄĚ (http://hscolorado.scout.com/2/942509.html)

His response regarding his official to Notre Dame, his last before signing day, ďI'm loving it here.Ē

Colorado and Notre Dame still on QB Spond's radar - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_14289326)

jason_h537
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Rivals believes he will be the next commit

McDougaltoDawson
01-31-2010, 09:05 PM
I really think Spond will be a huge get if he signs. Has the perfect build for a LB in 3-4 D.

WabashFalcon
01-31-2010, 09:43 PM
When will he announce? Wednesday?

rocket31
01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
just finished stalking his social networking webpage and the latest is the following...

Home from Notre Dame, Decision Time

Big23Head
02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
In this ISD article, Driskell has Spond in listed in the current recruiting class and not in the remaining recruits section. I have not seen a commit announcement anywhere. Anyone?

Notre Dame Football - Recruiting Rankings (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/coach-ds-blog/1842-recruiting-rankings)

WabashFalcon
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM
In this ISD article, Driskell has Spond in listed in the current recruiting class and not in the remaining recruits section. I have not seen a commit announcement anywhere. Anyone?

Notre Dame Football - Recruiting Rankings (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/coach-ds-blog/1842-recruiting-rankings)

Hasn't announced yet.

NDinL.A.
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Didn't read the article, but probably just a typo. Spond has not committed anywhere yet...

fitz_bu47
02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Article on SI.com posted this morning, with quotes from him, stating he has committed to ND.....Colorado four-star athlete Danny Spond commits to Notre Dame - More Sports - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/highschool/02/01/spond-irish/index.html?eref=sihp)

Big23Head
02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Just saw this too

irishff1014
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow this is very good news to hear.

McDougaltoDawson
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I hope he really did commit. I think he will be one of the sleepers in this class. Ever since I saw that he power cleaned 295, I knew he could become a stud LB.

Big23Head
02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
ISD confirmed.

TerryTate
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Bring the pain, Spond. Look forward to watching him on the defensive side of the ball

The Polish Irishman
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Love the quotes in the SI Article

WhoDeyIrish
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Kinda like the way the class is starting to shape up.

nd1
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
starting to like this class. kelly done a really good job considering when he came in. i think we finally hired the right coach.

IrishAddiction
02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the ND family Danny! Glad to have you.

Junkhead
02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Good news!

BGIF
02-01-2010, 02:13 PM
IrishIllustrated.com - Spond goes Irish (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1046735)

A Freebie article by Jake Brown, Irish Illustrated

"Just starting at the top, the coaching," Spond said of what made the Irish stand out. "The coaches, I really got a good feeling from coach (Brian) Kelly. He seemed like just a really good man besides a good coach and that's what I was definitely looking for. The guys he's brought in are the same type of people. That's definitely encouraging for me.

"Then there's no greater campus out there that's for sure. It's the most beautiful campus in the world. Then just the guys. The other guys on the team are a lot like me. We all have a lot in common. We're all there for the same reasons and that's to win a national championship."

Well Spond has the requisite Senior injury. In October he sustained a concussion which knocked him out for 2 hours. He missed the rest of the season. Although he made a full recovery, missing half the season no doubt hurt his rankings with the recruiting services.

ND recruited him as an ATH. During his visit he met with DC Diaco and OC Molnar. They discussed him playing hybrid LB on D or pitching OR catching on the O.

I think need puts him on the D.

irish4ever
02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
YesPoint is he's athletic and available.

And he's soon to be Irish! :)

irishnd31
02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
And he's soon to be Irish! :)

:eek7:

ameyer@warren.k12.in.us
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
People are way to stuck on the star system. Yes, it is important to a degree. I ask this: How many 4 and 5 stars does TCU, Boise State, Cinn., Utah, BYU, the 5 out of 6 teams that beat us this year have? Point is, you don't need them to win 10 or 11 games. You need them to win NC's. We need to get to 10 and 11 wins 1st. Then the 4 and 5's will get on board!!

TerryTate
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Defense needs playmakers. I love hearing this talk about hybrid linebackers. Reminds me of the freak athletes on the Florida State defenses of the 1990's

faithfulfan
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the Irish Danny!

jason_h537
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
He's gonna play D right? if so welcome aboard. Get some Colorado kids on boards pave the way for Connor Healy next year.

choo choo
02-01-2010, 05:17 PM
People are way to stuck on the star system. Yes, it is important to a degree. I ask this: How many 4 and 5 stars does TCU, Boise State, Cinn., Utah, BYU, the 5 out of 6 teams that beat us this year have? Point is, you don't need them to win 10 or 11 games. You need them to win NC's. We need to get to 10 and 11 wins 1st. Then the 4 and 5's will get on board!!

actually, id prefer we sign the 4 & 5's and coach them up = championships...how many of the above mentioned schools have won nc's...remember cincy/florida this year?...not sayin it cant be done, just that alabama doesnt have many 2's that are just coached up...nonetheless i am liking this class, especially if we can add some athletes on wednesday

HereComeTheIrish
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
If you read the previous posts, you will see that he met with the staffs of both offense and defense to hear what they would do with him in their system. All signs point to him being a hybrid safety/linebacker type of player.

This commit is eons better than that of the three yesterday. Welcome aboard Mr. Spond!

Is this really necessary??? Was there something wrong with the kids that committed yesterday? Were they not up to your standards? Last I checked, come wednesday, they'll all be men of The University Of Notre Dame. Knock off the bullshit. Consider yourself warned.

That said....Glad to have you Mr. Spond.

SpeedsterX
02-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Is this really necessary??? Was there something wrong with the kids that committed yesterday? Were they not up to your standards? Last I checked, come wednesday, they'll all be men of The University Of Notre Dame. Knock off the bullshit. Consider yourself warned.

That said....Glad to have you Mr. Spond.

I feel your pain HCTI!! LOL!

As a mod at DD, I recently posted the exact same thing to some of our guys in the "Roback and Spond" thread there.

HereComeTheIrish
02-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I feel your pain HCTI!! LOL!

As a mod at DD, I recently posted the exact same thing to some of our guys in the "Roback and Spond" thread there.

LOL....I'll be over in about 3 minutes to rile the troops up. ;) Keep up the good fight brother.

Go Irish!!!

SoJerseyIrish
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't get it, Spond does seem to be better that the other 3 that committed this weekend.......why is there an issue with pointing it out......LOL, are opinions not welcome on these boards?

HereComeTheIrish
02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't get it, Spond does seem to be better that the other 3 that committed this weekend.......why is there an issue with pointing it out......LOL, are opinions not welcome on these boards?

Opinions are certainly welcome, but when you downgrade the commitment of 3 young men who've pledged the next 4-5 years of their lives to you, me and Our Lady On the Dome, then yes, I certainly have a problem with it. Some folks have already thrown these kids into the crapper before they've even put pen to paper or been fitted for a uniform. Are you so blinded by the "stars" that you can't give these fine young men a chance?

That, good sir, I do have a problem with.

McDougaltoDawson
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
There's no room for someone coming on here and trashing a commit because of his star/ ranking. There's a reason they were offered and they obviously deserve the scholarship that is being offered. I would trust Coach Kelly and his staff far before anyone on here when it comes to offering a 17 or 18 yr old kid a scholarship. That being said, I am excited for all these young men to come in a and show what they are capable of doing.

HereComeTheIrish
02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
There's no room for someone coming on here and trashing a commit because of his star/ ranking. There's a reason they were offered and they obviously deserve the scholarship that is being offered. I would trust Coach Kelly and his staff far before anyone on here when it comes to offering a 17 or 18 yr old kid a scholarship. That being said, I am excited for all these young men to come in a and show what they are capable of doing.

+1 Sir....Well said.

NoJusticeNoPeace
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM

This. There is a reason why Cincinnati didn't lose a game in 2009.

jmurphy75
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
I just can't get over the negativity about what I considered to be a positive. To hell with all the star talk, they are 3 young men who dreamed about being Irish, and will give it everything they've got. I've hadf about enough of the "part time" coaches that think they know better than the Head Coach of Notre Dame.

SoJerseyIrish
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
This. There is a reason why Cincinnati didn't lose a game in 2009.

Yea but the only real team they played, Florida, beat them like a JV Team.....maybe the talent he is pulling in will be good enough to win the Big East but I think we can all agree we have bigger aspirations, but alas, you have to crawl before you walk and this late in the year and process I can understand how difficult it must be for him just to get a kid like Spond.

I think the fact he has Ego and Seantrel keeping ND in the mix is a good job, it would have been easy to write ND off after the coaching change but he seems to have impressed those two kids so that bodes well for future recruiting efforts. (I really don't see either of these kids coming, just opinion, no fact).

I think the future is bright and BK will do well......but this class will be a bridge of sorts to future.......better things are ahead.....

irishff1014
02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Also id oesn't matter how many number 4's and 5's you have on the team if they can't play as a group it doesn't mean anything because they will suck

DomeX2 eNVy
02-01-2010, 08:10 PM
So where do we officially rank Spond?
4 Stars?
3 Stars?
3 2/3 Stars? Or
2 Stars because he is a Kelly recruit?

johnnykillz
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
So where do we officially rank Spond?
4 Stars?
3 Stars?
3 2/3 Stars? Or
2 Stars because he is a Kelly recruit?

You need to use the famous "sarcastic font" guy. I'm half ready to throw the barbs out...

DomeX2 eNVy
02-01-2010, 08:19 PM
You need to use the famous "sarcastic font" guy. I'm half ready to throw the barbs out...

:wink: or whatever the "sarcastic font" guy is (I suck at computer shorthand too)

BTW I was really going for more Facetious than Sarcastic.:meditate:

NDinL.A.
02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Here's the thing guys: As mods, we have to deal with a lot of b.s. from guys who are just here to start trouble, talk crap, brag about their own exploits, troll, spam, etc etc. A lot of the stuff you guys don't see because it's deleted before the rest of you have to read their crap. Seriously, some of the stuff you guys don't read is just nuts. We love the site just as much as you guys do, so we try to keep it clean so you guys don't have to wade through the b.s. Sometimes you see someone banned and wonder what he did wrong and think we're like tyrants or something, when in fact there are several PM's and warnigns given to those posters. We probably screw up from time to time, and for that I apologize. But understand, we want this site to be somewhere we can discuss ND football cleanly and w/out any personal b.s.

And the main thing is, don't post negative crap on recruits' pages. These guys and their families, believe it or not, read these websites. Hell, if I was a stud recruit, hell yeah I'd read my own personal thread about me. So out of respect to them and their families, we really like to keep these pages clean.

So I see where HCTI is coming from. Now, GoldenisthyTate's comments, from everything I know from him as a poster, in itself were probably meant as a positive to Spond committing, saying how good he was. But in the process, he (hopefully accidentally) put down yesterday's recruits. And like I said, the mods have to deal with a ton of crap from a-holes just looking to start trouble, so HCTI wanted to nip it in the bud immediately. Chryspy's cool, so I'm sure we won't have any problems with him at all.

PapaIrish37
02-01-2010, 09:14 PM
NDiLA and the rest of the mods,
Appreciate all your hard work and though new to this site, it is the level of discourse and civilized nature of it most the time that makes it a great read.

On the original line of the thread - just got home from work and this is great news after a relatively crappy day.

Reading his quotes it sounds like Danny thinks BK and the rest of the coaches are RKGs!

Welcome aboard Danny!

GO IRISH!

irishff1014
02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
We all thank you guys for keeping this site up and running. It is good places like this that keeps us up to date with our favorite team. I Know i have put somethings on here that may have been border line negative and really didn't mean it to be that way.

nd1
02-01-2010, 10:23 PM
i really don;t post on here alot but would like to thank all the mods for what they do and keeping this board clean.

WabashFalcon
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy Niceeeeeeeeee.

irishandy
02-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Glad to have Spond playing for the Irish. This kid is quick and he will be a nice addition to the D. Keep up the good work mods!!

Legacy
02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
I heard that back in the '67 there was this top QB, had all the stats, great program, a sure winner.

Then there was this spunky, impudent, full of himself QB from Jersey, who wanted to compete at ND. Name was Theisman.

Can't recall the other guy's name now.

Welcome to ND, Danny.

palinurus
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Everything I've read on this guy, he sounds like a gem. I'm thrilled to have him. Getting him is also consistent with Kelly's early pattern of getting "athletes", which I think we've been in need of.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
02-03-2010, 03:17 AM
HCTI, I apologize if I offended you or any other member of IE, but I did not say anything malicious. Simply stated my opinion. I didn't use any harsh language, wish any harm towards any recruit, or try to be abusive and/or insulting. It is completely within the boundaries of these messagebaords to compare and contrast all things Notre Dame. I was simply saying that I was much more excited about a recruit that ND really needed in comparison to others that I didn't feel were necessary. If you did not like my word choice, I apologize.

As NDinLA stated, I was talking about this recruit and said I was much more excited about this commitment than previous ones the day before. It was on this recruit's profile, and I wasn't on any other recruit's thread bashing them. I don't think the warning was needed and frankly I found your post to come out of left field. I am one of the good members of this site. I never post information without doing my research, never stray off topic on any thread, and I never post anything offensive or with foul language. I have had no trouble with anyone on this site, mod or regular member, and while I really do understand how difficult it is to be a mod on this site (and I appreciate the work wholeheartedly), I don't think I said anything worthy of a public warning.

That being said, I am glad this kid joined the ranks and I hope to see more good news while I drive in traffic to work tomorrow.

IrishandColts
02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
committed

jason_h537
02-03-2010, 02:32 PM
He's playing defense right?

Dacian_Irish
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
He's playing defense right?

Yup! MLB. This is a great pick up.

ryno 24
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Great commitment danny Good job by the staff

Mavericknyc1980
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Welcome to ND Spond. This kid is an athelete and thats where we were lacking against teams like Michigan and USC.

irish4ever
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Welcome to ND Spond. This kid is an athelete and thats where we were lacking against teams like Michigan and USC.

scUM and U$C??? There's no comparison between those 2 programs currently! scUM sucks and has for the last few years and U$C keeps getting better, primarily due to their payouts (it costs a lot to keep that cheatin' crew together)!

TerryTate
06-11-2010, 12:48 AM
http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1093062

Rivals article

Like his soon-to-be roommate, Notre Dame recruited Spond as an athlete. His college position remains up in the air. He played quarterback and safety in high school but will likely get his first look at outside linebacker. Tight end could also be an option.

Either way, it's not something Spond plans to try and control.

"My own thinking is I trust the coaches to put me wherever they think I'll be most successful," Spond said. "If (outside linebacker is) where it is then that's where it is. If it's somewhere else, it's somewhere else. I put all my trust in them and wherever it may be it may be."
Spond has been preparing for any position all off-season. Running at altitude ¨- his family lives at about 6,000 feet in Colorado - should put him ahead of the game in conditioning. But what awaits Spond with strength and conditioning guru Paul Longo is less clear. With that in mind, he's approaching it with a mental edge.

"Well, I haven't really heard anything," Spond said. "I've just heard they've been doing a lot of running and stuff. That's not always what you wanna hear but that's what you do. I've heard a lot about that. I'm trying to go in with the mind frame that it's gonna be absolute hell. That way when it's not as bad in my mind it'll be like, 'I can do this, it's not horrible.'"

I like him.

mbeckha - care to chime in about Longo's S&C regimine? http://www.tamemymind.com/blog/images2007/smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

BGIF
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
The Important Things In Life (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/football/2867-the-important-things-in-life)

Nice background piece.

Dann's dad Don on the the ND visit:

“We went into the Basilica and our jaw about hit the ground. It’s just the most beautiful thing. I haven’t seen anything so beautiful. You picture your son or daughter going there and you know God has a hand in it.”

... You always want the best for your kids. Going to Notre Dame, there’s no better place to have your kids go.”

NDinL.A.
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Read this last night...didn't realize it was a freebie or else I would have posted it. Loved the article...love Danny and the Spond family. His parents did an incredible job raising him, and I guarantee after you read the article you will be a huge Spond fan. Thanks for the link...

TerryTate
07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Class act

BGIF
08-31-2010, 05:53 AM
So he took it. #2 ILB behind Teo

Rivals
June 10

Notre Dame recruited Spond as an athlete. His college position remains up in the air. He played quarterback and safety in high school but will likely get his first look at outside linebacker. Tight end could also be an option.

Either way, it's not something Spond plans to try and control.

"My own thinking is I trust the coaches to put me wherever they think I'll be most successful," Spond said. "If (outside linebacker is) where it is then that's where it is. If it's somewhere else, it's somewhere else. I put all my trust in them and wherever it may be it may be."
Spond has been preparing for any position all off-season. Running at altitude ¨- his family lives at about 6,000 feet in Colorado - should put him ahead of the game in conditioning. But what awaits Spond with strength and conditioning guru Paul Longo is less clear. With that in mind, he's approaching it with a mental edge.

IHateMarkMay
08-31-2010, 08:05 AM
Great attitude. That kid seems like he is going to be a beast.

Irish Man3
08-31-2010, 08:38 AM
I cant wait to see this kid on the field. Unlike some people, I love to see freshman on the field. I think its important for their progression and gives them a ton of confidence. This kid obv has a great attitude and hes willing to be the ultimate team player. He sounds like a real future leader for this defense.

GO IRISH!!!
08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
I cant wait to see this kid on the field. Unlike some people, I love to see freshman on the field. I think its important for their progression and gives them a ton of confidence. This kid obv has a great attitude and hes willing to be the ultimate team player. He sounds like a real future leader for this defense.

Freshmen playing is great when we have the depth on the team that we do now because it is freshmen playing when they are talented enough and ready not out of necessity. Freshmen in 2007 or even 2008 was out of necessity and isn't a good thing.

I agree with you though. If it is the right situation, I think freshmen playing is a great thing.

Irish Man3
08-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Freshmen playing is great when we have the depth on the team that we do now because it is freshmen playing when they are talented enough and ready not out of necessity. Freshmen in 2007 or even 2008 was out of necessity and isn't a good thing.

I agree with you though. If it is the right situation, I think freshmen playing is a great thing.

Agreed. In some ways freshman playing shows a lack of depth. But in the case of TJ, Spond, and Shembo, theyre all playing in positions that are deep. That shows that they have the talent to jump veterans that are also talented. Im very excited.

IrishJayhawk
08-31-2010, 11:40 AM

^^This

tko
08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
straight up athlete.

BGIF
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Another one of Kelly's unknowns (he had 6 offers) blooming.

Notre Dame football: Spond finding his footing - southbendtribune.com (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-notre-dame-football-spond-finding-his-footing-20110821,0,3480048.column)

Al Lesar, SBT
8/21

A quarterback at Columbine High in Littleton, Colo., Spond didn't come to Notre Dame with dreams of immediate football glory. It was a process, and he knew it.

The start of the process came with a position switch, from glamour to guts quarterback to outside linebacker.

Spond made enough of an impact early in his freshman season that he was a regular on several special teams 105 plays, all told. His stat line: One tackle.

A rolled ankle and an illness kept Spond out of five games. Newfound confidence and an understanding of what's happening around him has Spond in the regular rotation at "Dog" (drop) linebacker. In terms of the depth chart, Spond is sitting behind Prince Shembo.

"Shembo's (No.) 1, Spond's 2," said Irish head coach Brian Kelly. "It's still a competitive battle, but Shembo's been really strong. Danny had a lot of good things going, but Prince has been a solid, solid player for us."

NDdomer2
10-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Spond back to 100% according to Kelly.

BobD
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I decided my 1000th post should be used on Danny's thread. He's the reason I found IE.

I've been a life long Irish fan and I'm fortunate to say I know Danny and his family from when I lived in Colorado. They are awesome people. I was very excited to hear he was going to be Irish instead of a CU Buffalo (although I was a little hoping he would be a Stanford Cardinal because I live near there: ), so I started looking for info when I came across IE.

I hope 2012 is a great year for the Irish and a breakout year for Danny. GO IRISH!! GO IE!!

Sherm Sticky
01-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I decided my 1000th post should be used on Danny's thread. He's the reason I found IE.

I've been a life long Irish fan and I'm fortunate to say I know Danny and his family from when I lived in Colorado. They are awesome people. I was very excited to hear he was going to be Irish instead of a CU Buffalo (although I was a little hoping he would be a Stanford Cardinal because I live near there: ), so I started looking for info when I came across IE.

I hope 2012 is a great year for the Irish and for Danny. GO IRISH!! GO IE!!
Great Post. Love Danny Spond, kid is a baller just needs to stay healthy.

irishog77
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM

I hope 2012 is a great year for the Irish and for Danny. GO IRISH!! GO IE!!

Cool story about Danny. Can we get a "GO SPOND" chant going too?

Congrats on #1,000. I know it's been a long and tough road to reach that milestone. Speech?

1000 posts since August is nothing to sneeze at. You may be giving Beau a run for his money! Mods, BGIF, resident IE historians-- what's the record for most posts in a calendar year? Fiscal year? :whoknows:

BeauBenken
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Cool story about Danny. Can we get a "GO SPOND" chant going too?

Congrats on #1,000. I know it's been a long and tough road to reach that milestone. Speech?

1000 posts since August is nothing to sneeze at. You may be giving Beau a run for his money! Mods, BGIF, resident IE historians-- what's the record for most posts in a calendar year? Fiscal year? :whoknows:

I'm pretty sure it's whatever I have by the end of this month. lol

Bring it BobD! lmao

Very cool note about Danny though.

BobD
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm not after any records so I'm sure yours is safe.

Very happy I found IE though, I've neer been much of a computer chatter until now. It's been a lot of fun, your all a great group of people and I'm looking forward to years of cheering for our Irish!

Irishman77
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Carted off field per twitter. Hope nothing major.

95NDAlumNM
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Carted off field per twitter. Hope nothing major.

Been reported as a concussion.

ndfi78
08-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Uh, that is not good at all. Didn't he miss most of his senior year with a concussion or am I imagining things?

CHIDomer9
08-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Been reported as a concussion.

Where was it reported a concussion? I saw "potential" and "possible" concussion, but I don't think it has been confirmed.

Emcee77
08-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Uh, that is not good at all. Didn't he miss most of his senior year with a concussion or am I imagining things?

Yeah, his senior season ended after only six games after a terrible concussion:

IrishIllustrated.com - Spond goes Irish (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1046735)

Sherm Sticky
08-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh man...hope he is all right...Kid can't stay healthy though.

rtrn2glory
08-08-2012, 02:22 PM
shiiit...nothing but bad news on the personnel front today??

CHIDomer9
08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
shiiit...nothing but bad news on the personnel front today??

I wouldn't go that far.

Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Golson and Hendrix take virtually every snap in Wednesday's practice. Rees doesn't take a single rep

tko
08-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
Golson and Hendrix take virtually every snap in Wednesday's practice. Rees doesn't take a single rep
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t514/kraust1/redhat.jpg

TheChosen1
08-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Jake Brown‏@Jake_Brown

Need to keep an eye on the Danny Spond concussion situation. He had a very, very serious one in high school. #NotreDame

Spond played just six games as a senior in high school because of the concussion, which left him unconscious for about two hours. #NotreDame

Andy in Sactown
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Fellow I.E. members and guests, I never got into the prayer thread thing-- mostly because they were in recruiting situations, but let's take a minute and say one for Danny.

Hope you are well and free of injury to your health young man, God Bless You.

TerryTate
08-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Anyone have ISD access?

clashmore_mike
08-10-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm your huckleberry, what do you need?

clashmore_mike
08-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Not sure who the poster is or where he got the info, but a guy on ISD is saying Spond is still in the hospital with numbness in his left leg. Doctors are still performing tests, but they fear he suffered some kind of a stroke.

Mods, feel free to delete this if you feel necessary. I have no clue on the validity of the poster or that information. I'm simply passing along info bc TT asked.

clashmore_mike
08-10-2012, 12:32 AM
after reading through the rest of the thread, others have vouched for the guy and he apparently has some connection to the family. He also came back to say again that the stroke diagnosis is not for sure, just that it was a possibility that was relayed to the family.

Ndaccountant
08-10-2012, 12:36 AM
after reading through the rest of the thread, others have vouched for the guy and he apparently has some connection to the family. He also came back to say again that the stroke diagnosis is not for sure, just that it was a possibility that was relayed to the family.

Going to bed and saying a prayer for danny.

NDPhilly
08-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Jake Brown on II is hearing that is much much worse than a simple concussion.

Cali_domer
08-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Praying for Danny. Damn I hope that isn't true.

ndcoltsfan2010
08-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Jake Brown on II is hearing that is much much worse than a simple concussion.

This is a total bummer! I sure hope Danny is going to be alright. I think sometimes we get really wrapped up about the game and the players on an athletic level that it's sometimes easy to take things for granted. I know it's a part of football, but you always hate to see a good kid get hurt. I will say a prayer for him and hope that he'll be ok.

NDhoosier
08-10-2012, 01:10 AM
this is heart-breaking, it went from maybe concussion like symptoms to possibly a stroke? This is not good news. :(

Fbolt
08-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Best wishes to Dan and his family. Too young for these health issues.

BobD-anything that can shed light on this would be appreciated.

ThePiombino
08-10-2012, 05:35 AM
*fingers crossed* for Danny!

Me2SouthBend
08-10-2012, 06:27 AM
For healths sake, Get healthy young man. Football is secondary.

BobD
08-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Best wishes to Dan and his family. Too young for these health issues.

BobD-anything that can shed light on this would be appreciated.

We are hoping to hear from his parents today. If I do, I'll let you guys know ASAP.

PANDFAN
08-10-2012, 08:54 AM
We are hoping to hear from his parents today. If I do, I'll let you guys know ASAP.

? you know the fam

IrishLax
08-10-2012, 09:04 AM
As clash already said, it's sounding like it's not a concussion and was actually a non-contact "injury"... so that's kind of terrifying. Word on the street is some sort of stroke.

Keep Danny in your prayers today if you're a religious type.

ndfi78
08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Praying for him.

rtrn2glory
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
definitely praying for danny...sooo sad to wake up to this news. also praying for the doctors to make the correct diagnosis and find out what's the issue here.

speaking from experience...concussions/head injuries definitely put things into perspective, especially recently '

Sherm Sticky
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Praying for Danny and his family.

Kanye West
08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh god if it was non-contact then that potentially can be horrible. Stay strong Danny.

NoJusticeNoPeace
08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Please be a freak situation and not something serious. Now it's a more important than football if he's still in the hospital.

Bogtrotter07
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Just catching up on this, a late teen to a person in their early twenties having a stroke without a massive history of hypertension is almost unheard of. Does anyone in his family have a history of anything like an aneurysm?

As you read this post maybe you could say this prayer:

METHA
May Danny be filled with loving kindness;
May Danny be healthy and strong;
May Danny be free of all dangers, internal or external.
May Danny be filled with the ease of well being.
May Danny be happy!

alohagoirish
08-10-2012, 07:48 PM
He's very young--youth is resilient---the medical profession has become very adept at treating head injuries --vascular problems & heart problems---

Think positive--he's going to be ok with time---

OCIrish
08-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Danny and his family tonight....

ohara831
08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Danny and for his loved ones who have to be so worried. Hope this is not life threatening and he regains full health. Football is not imporant in this matter. Just want him to be healthy and have a long happy life.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow. I hope he's ok. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

Redbar
08-10-2012, 09:53 PM
We are with you Danny!

Old Man Mike
08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
May The Holy Spirit bless you and Heal you, young Warrior.

NDFANnSouthWest
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM
As someone who got out of the hospital today....this news on Danny hit me hard.

My heart and prayers go out to Danny and him family.

johnnykillz
08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
As someone who got out of the hospital today....this news on Danny hit me hard.

My heart and prayers go out to Danny and him family.

Damn.

My boy.

And I didn't even know.

NYMIKE6
08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I've been praying since i heard the news earlier today.... Get better, bet back, young blood....

BobD
08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Sorry that I have no news about Danny.

My brother in law has left messages on the families home phone and on Don's (Danny's dad) phone.....no return call yet,

I'm praying for ya Danny.

Grahambo
08-11-2012, 07:20 AM
This ones for you DS!

Cheers and God speed my friend.

Bogtrotter07
08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Another prayer for Danny. There of course are two kinds of strokes, fatty build up and arterial bleeds, while my neighbor was explaining this to me, she suggested that maybe a small piece of calcified disk was propelled down his spinal canal. This can sometimes happen pretty high up and have some very scary symtoms, and does not show up yet, well, with most modern scanning techinques. Can be quite treatable.

Ironman8
08-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Posted this in the Fall thread, but believe it should also be here. A poster on ISD is stating that the specialist in Ann Arbor has diagnosed Danny Spond with severe migraines. Hope it's true, as the reports of stroke or something as serious were quite scary. Believe there are ways to treat the migraines so that he can continue his playing career without adverse affect. Obviously his health is paramount, but if these reports are true, I would love to see him back in the fold if truly able.

NDinL.A.
08-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Posted this in the Fall thread, but believe it should also be here. A poster on ISD is stating that the specialist in Ann Arbor has diagnosed Danny Spond with severe migraines. Hope it's true, as the reports of stroke or something as serious were quite scary. Believe there are ways to treat the migraines so that he can continue his playing career without adverse affect. Obviously his health is paramount, but if these reports are true, I would love to see him back in the fold if truly able.

And to add to that, this guy is close to the Spond family; he hardly posts but I trust his word is golden on this one. It truly is awesome news that it isn't nearly as bad as we originally had speculated. Happy for him...

Grahambo
08-11-2012, 06:18 PM
And to add to that, this guy is close to the Spond family; he hardly posts but I trust his word is golden on this one. It truly is awesome news that it isn't nearly as bad as we originally had speculated. Happy for him...

And to double add, my Dad has been diagnosed with migraines. Actually, he has a cyst on the back of his brain that causes him to have migraines constantly but it is under control. Nothing you can really do about it unless you want them to open your head up to remove it. He is just fine as well and will be fine, it really is a matter of just dealing with it and controlling it.

Now, I have NO IDEA if he has a cyst but just something that made me think of it.

Irish YJ
08-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Question: Any update on Danny Spond and Alex Welch?

Kelly: Yeah, we’ve been able to eliminate some things. First of all, he did not have a concussion. We’ve exhausted a number of different tests, he’s come back clean on all of them. We’re going to do a little bit more work before we move any further with him relative to contact and getting him on the field.

Cleared him for a concussion and then we’ve got some more testing to do and I can probably update you sometime next week

More from BK

BobD
08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Good Morning All,

Good news! I just recieved a message from Danny's mom this morning. On Wednesday during practice the left side of his body went numb, when he told the trainers they rushed him to the hospital. At first they suspected a stroke or a spinal cord injury. The report about him being diagnosed with an atypical migraine in Michigan are correct. The migraine effected his nervous system. She says he starts physical therapy today and hopefully will be back soon! He is going to be ok!

In the last part of her note she says something that is very true. "God is good!"

Get well soon Danny! Go Irish!

gkIrish
08-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Good Morning All,

Good news! I just recieved a message from Danny's mom this morning. On Wednesday during practice the left side of his body went numb, when he told the trainers they rushed him to the hospital. At first they suspected a stroke or a spinal cord injury. The report about him being diagnosed with an atypical migraine in Michigan are correct. The migraine effected his nervous system. She says he starts physical therapy today and hopefully will be back soon! He is going to be ok!

In the last part of her note she says something that is very true. "God is good!"

Great news for Danny. Thanks for the info Bob

Redbar
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Good Morning All,

Great News Bob, thanks for sharing, I could not be happier for the Spond/Irish family,

OCIrish
08-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Thank you so much for the good news, BobD!!!!!! God IS good, glad to hear the good news:rock:

Who'saWildManNow
08-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Great news!

Cali_domer
08-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Good Morning All,

God is good!!!! Thanks for the update.

Bogtrotter07
08-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Cool beans! Funny, my neighbor is starting to impress me as one of more intelligent people I know. She started in nursing, Army, Viet Nam, two Phd's later, she is retired dean of undergraduate nursing, and head of the pharmocology program for non MD-candidates. She thought that it was going to be migrane related, although she didn't have all the info, most men can suffer paralisys, or loss of sensation with migranes.

She sure did scare me!

Buíochas le Dia! Chun do aisghabháil iomlán!

Téigh Gaeilge!

Irish YJ
08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Good stuff. Really needed some good news on this young man.

tadman95
08-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Man that's good to hear!

Rizzophil
08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Amen and amen

ThePiombino
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Not that migraines don't completely suck, but thank God it wasn't worse!

ryno 24
08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
This is a relief. this could have been a really scary situation.

Fbolt
08-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Pleased with this news update. Looking fwd to when Spond can get back into the mix.

Grahambo
08-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Danny!! Woo! Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

ndfi78
08-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Great news!

Ironman8
08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Per Brian Kelly on BK radio, Danny will be back soon. There are even rumors he is at practice today. Would be great news.

johnnykillz
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Per Brian Kelly on BK radio, Danny will be back soon. There are even rumors he is at practice today. Would be great news.

Heck yeah it would be.

Much better than others I have heard!

Whew...

ab2cmiller
08-14-2012, 01:27 PM

Yep. I believe Kelly himself said he was back at practice today.

NYMIKE6
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Posted by B&G Dan Murphy: Spond was at Tuesdays practice... and was migraines....

TerryTate
08-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Would be a big relief

yankeeND
08-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Glad to hear! This has been a tamultuous(spelling?) camp to say the least but everything will work out! Hell this team may even surprise us!

irishpat183
08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Good Morning All,

GREAT NEWS!!!!

NDBoiler
08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Great news indeed for Danny and the team. Was he limited at all in practice or cleared 100%?

dublinirish
08-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Seems to me that what happened to Danny happens to me alot. After playing sport or intense exercising i can get migraines in my right temple and the left side of my body will get numb (not paralysed or anything) and also the vision in my left eye will be very blury. This can last anything from 1 to 24 hours. Ive had this happen since i was 12 years old. I will try and combat it by hydrating and taking some supplements as a preventative measure but if its really bad i take Panadol or other normal migraine relief. Ive had a CT scan and blood tests and the whole lot but have never gotten a definitive answer as to why this happens. Its just something i deal with and dont let it control me. Maybe some other posters might experience things like this too but i havent met anyone in my life who has the same issues. Hearing about what happened Danny did strike a chord though. Hope he gets better soon and can learn to keep his condition under control and not affect his career!

amgarvey
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm very relieved to read that Spond is ok. I was growing concerned about this mystery.

Bogtrotter07
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Okay I went smaltzy,

<table style="font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="512" height="340"><tbody><tr style="background-color:#e5e5e5" valign="middle"><td style="padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;"><a target="_blank" style="color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;" href="http://www.spike.com">SPIKE</a></td><td style="padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;"></td></tr><tr style="height:14px;" valign="middle"><td style="padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;" colspan="2"><a target="_blank" style="color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;" href="http://www.spike.com/blog/music">Danny Boy</a></td></tr><tr style="height:14px; background-color:#353535" valign="middle"><td colspan="2" style="padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:512px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right"><a target="_blank" style="color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;" href="http://www.spike.com/">www.spike.com</a></td></tr><tr valign="middle"><td style="padding:0px;" colspan="2"><embed style="display:block" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:arc:video:spike.com:36e43e3d-dfde-47ad-8927-1dfef223c0ed" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullscreen="true" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed></td></tr><tr style="height:18px;" valign="middle"><td style="padding:0px;" colspan="2"><table style="margin:0px; text-align:center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="100%"><tr valign="middle"><td style="padding:3px; width:33%;"><a target="_blank" style="font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/">Spike Full Episodes</a></td><td style="padding:3px; width:33%;"><a target="_blank" style="font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.spike.com/video-clips/">Spike Video Clips</a></td><td style="padding:3px; width:33%;"><a target="_blank" style="font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.facebook.com/Spike">Spike on Facebook</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

<object width="575" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=USMR80900050&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961&playerType=embedded&env=0&cultureName=en-US&cultureIsRTL=false"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=USMR80900050&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=62FF0A5C-0D9E-4AC1-AF04-1D9E97EE3961&playerType=embedded&env=0&cultureName=en-US&cultureIsRTL=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="575" height="324" bgcolor="#000000" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Grahambo
08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Eric Hansen ‏@hansensouthbend
Some follow-up on #NotreDame OLB Danny Spond's situation. ... Spond was at practice ... watching, not playing. He is still probably ...

... 2 weeks away from trying to get back on the field. ... Diagnosis was migraines. Was evaluated at University of Michigan.

95NDAlumNM
08-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Some follow-up on #NotreDame OLB Danny Spond's situation. ... Spond was at practice ... watching, not playing. He is still probably ...

... 2 weeks away from trying to get back on the field. ... Diagnosis was migraines. Was evaluated at University of Michigan.

Should ND get a second opinion on that since it was done at Michigan.

NDhoosier
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
talk about ironic... :) Glad to see he is ok though. For second though, we thought it was more serious than just football, now it seems he will be just fine. God is Good! :P

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Great news. So glad he's ok.

Chamellion
08-15-2012, 08:47 AM

No midland doctor ever seen anything as pretty as boobies knee.

Rocket89
08-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Seems to me that what happened to Danny happens to me alot. After playing sport or intense exercising i can get migraines in my right temple and the left side of my body will get numb (not paralysed or anything) and also the vision in my left eye will be very blury. This can last anything from 1 to 24 hours. Ive had this happen since i was 12 years old. I will try and combat it by hydrating and taking some supplements as a preventative measure but if its really bad i take Panadol or other normal migraine relief. Ive had a CT scan and blood tests and the whole lot but have never gotten a definitive answer as to why this happens. Its just something i deal with and dont let it control me. Maybe some other posters might experience things like this too but i havent met anyone in my life who has the same issues. Hearing about what happened Danny did strike a chord though. Hope he gets better soon and can learn to keep his condition under control and not affect his career!

I had something similar, but it's been a long time. From age 12 to 14 I had 4 migraines and they were all awful.

My first one was a rude awakening to the pain they can cause. Woke up early on a Saturday to play in a golf tournament. Getting into the car I started getting a tingling sensation in my hands. By the time we got to the course, some of my fingers were numb. Soon after, my toes went a little numb and my vision was getting blurry. It was all accompanied by the weird sensation that you're out of it and dazed, while my hearing didn't seem to be in the right frequency.

Anyway, got to the second green and had to stop I was so messed up. Puked in a pond on my walk back. Then sat in the clubhouse puking my guts out more than I ever had in my life. At that point, the headache began and it was literally hell. By the time a parent picked me up and I got home the pain was insufferable, I can't imagine anything hurting more and I've had my fair share of injuries. Even the slightest movement sent hellish shockwaves through my head---just awful.

I tried to sleep it off and the weird thing is, I was fine probably 8 hours later. The other 3 weren't as bad because I was at home when I got them and I knew what to expect, but they still sucked in their own way.

It's also funny that I literally never get headaches, ever. I also wonder just how much pain people are in when they say they have migraine, especially when they are sitting there and able to function pretty normally---I tend to think people just think a bad headache is a migraine and that certainly was not the case for me.

From what little I know, I think food, exposure to the sun, lack of hydration and being tired are a deadly combination. I know certain foods can be triggers for migraines as well.

ndfi78
08-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Stress is the big trigger for my migraines, lack of sleep being a close second.

The pain part of my migraines is bad, I can handle it though. The worse part is the feeling of being in a complete fog, not being able to think straight at all. Not that I'm a genius in the first place :)

irishfan
09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Cleared to practice per BK

Sherm Sticky
09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Cleared to practice per BK
Excellent news

yankeeND
09-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I hope he can get out there and lock the Dog spot down! Not that others were bad just I think he is the best option when healthy!

irishfanjho15
09-11-2012, 12:33 PM
This is great we need him.

Walter White
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
So will he be ready to play on Saturday or will he need some time to get back in football shape?

NYMIKE6
09-11-2012, 01:09 PM
So will he be ready to play on Saturday or will he need some time to get back in football shape?

I'm sure the staff had him doing agility drills and cardio type training i think he was just limited to "No Contact".

ndfi78
09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Great news!

Old Man Mike
09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Maybe MSU isn't the best team to return against. The beating that Leveon Bell hands out isn't the optimum break-in experience. I'd not object to a week and a half of "getting ready" and on the field for Robinson.

NoJusticeNoPeace
09-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Maybe MSU isn't the best team to return against. The beating that Leveon Bell hands out isn't the optimum break-in experience. I'd not object to a week and a half of "getting ready" and on the field for Robinson.

If he can practice he can play. We can't rest our starters for fear of injury in a massive game.

arrowryan
09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
If he can practice he can play. We can't rest our starters for fear of injury in a massive game.

Yup! This is football, if you are afraid to get hit then I suggest you pick a different sport.

Old Man Mike
09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm not talking about what Danny thinks; I'm talking about how Kelly might weigh his holistic season-strategy. He might want nothing but big physical bangers vs MSU [given the erratic QB passing], and greater speed/flexibility vs Robinson/Gardner et al.

But who-the-he!l cares? Coach will do what he thinks best; I'm just talking forward looking strategy, nothing macho.

IrishJayhawk
09-11-2012, 07:47 PM

rtrn2glory
09-11-2012, 07:52 PM
i say get him ready and have him on special teams

IrishJayhawk
09-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Looks like Spond had been cleared for non-contact activities last week.

Carlisle could return; Nichols, Spond out - Notre Dame Football Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/8595/carlisle-could-return-nichols-spond-out)

Still. I think we're totally unqualified to determine how much or in what capacity Danny should play. Again, let the doctors and athletic trainers do their job.

Irishbounty28
09-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Depends what "cleared to practice" means. If, as suggested above, he's only cleared for non-contact activities, no way. Let the athletic trainers and docs handle this one.
I think sometime last week Coach Kelly stated that Spond was participating in non-contact drills. With that, I guess I feel he was stating he is a full participant at this time.