PDA

View Full Version : '10 KY OL Tate Nichols (Notre Dame Signee)

Pages : [1] 2

jason_h537
12-21-2009, 01:08 AM
OT
Union, Kentucky Ryle

Ht: 6-7
Wt: 278
GPA: 3.6
Test: 31

Ranking:
Rivals: :s::s::s:;#62 OT; Rating 5.6
Scout: :s::s::s:; #71 OT
ESPN: :s::s::s:; #101 OT; Grade 75

Offers:
Notre Dame
Stanford
Illinois (OV 1/11/10)
Cincinnati
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisville

ND Recruiter: Kelly

Decision: 1/16/2010 Notre Dame

jason_h537
12-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Word is Brian Kelly has been in contact and could recieve an offer soon. Apparently being considered as a future OT

Maddog77
12-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah, the article I read said BK requested tape of him and when Tate was asked about the situation he didn't want to comment.

NDinL.A.
12-21-2009, 03:18 AM
LOL, that would be pretty damn funny, stealing yet another Stanford commit...

49er-Irish
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Kelly recruited a 2 star TE to Central Michigan named Joe Staley. Staley ended up being a first round pick for the 49ers and has been a very good left tackle for them.

Who knows, maybe lightning can strike twice.

JefMaj
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey, 32skdoo always tells us how Harbaugh gets the best 2 & 3*s in the Country... so can't be bad...

IrishAddiction
12-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow. Guy is gonna have to put on some poundage to be an OT, at least 35lbs.

But hell, if he can move and get his hands on somebody without holding, it would be an improvement from our OTs from the last 4 years.

jason_h537
12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah he is pretty light but could be interesting. I remember Miami did this with Eric Winston

JefMaj
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Golden is thy Tate????

OchoShayneO
12-21-2009, 06:06 PM
theres many examples of high school TE becoming really good LT. Winston at Miami, Ed Wang and VT, Bulaga(sp?) at Iowa. This works. Get a guy with a good frame and quick feet and pack some lbs on him

Irish93
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
theres many examples of high school TE becoming really good LT. Winston at Miami, Ed Wang and VT, Bulaga(sp?) at Iowa. This works. Get a guy with a good frame and quick feet and pack some lbs on him

Andy Heck

BGIF
12-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Andy Heck

Andy Heck was #2 TE as Frosh and Soph at 235. Added 13 lbs to 248 to start as Jr TE. Bulked up a hefty 10 lbs to 258 (listed) to start as a Sr TE. LTs are bigger today. A lot bigger.

Nichols would have to add a lot of weight but it could be done. We had weight development discussions when a number of ND recruits added 20-25 in 6 months between the end of their HS season and preseason camp. Nichols would have 3 years to develop.

WabashFalcon
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Tate walks into Kelly's office to discuss his switch to LT.

"Hey... hey Coach."

Kelly reaches under desk, pulls out a pizza topped with chocolate cake, pieces of Red Meat, Lard, and Fat.

"No questions. Eat it."

"But... but... that looks disgusting.."

"SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND EAT IT YOU SKINNY BITCH!!!"

"Yes sir..."

fbjunky
12-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I live in Union, the same city Tate lives in, and saw him at a basketball game the other day. He told me he weighs around 275lbs right now. I think the weight and the profile itself have not been updated since his frosh or soph year.

49er-Irish
12-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I live in Union, the same city Tate lives in, and saw him at a basketball game the other day. He told me he weighs around 275lbs right now. I think the weight and the profile itself have not been updated since his frosh or soph year.

That's good to hear, 275 lbs is a much better starting point.

Does Tate play basketball or was he just attending the game? Footwork in the low post could only help for a tackle prospect.

BGIF
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM

The recruiting services take their ht, wt info from questionnaires, programs (coaches), and combines. If a recruit's profile is wrong or out of date, it's incumbent on the recruit to update them if he's looking for offers.

If he's at 275, he's done some serious development since his football season of a few weeks ago. His HS website "lists" him at 255. Most programs inflate heights and weights and most players lose weight during the season.

It still would have meant he added 20 pounds in a matter of weeks not months. Pardon my skepticism. We had lengthy discussions here last year on weight development in the off season. A number of players added 20 pounds of muscle in the 6 or 8 months between their HS sesasons ending and preseason camp.

junky, does Nichols play basketball?

http://www.ryle.boone.kyschools.us/football/roster/varsity.pdf

2009 #84 Nichols, Tate 12 TE/DE 6'7" 255 (Senior)

Prep Sports at Cincinnati.com (http://preps.cincinnati.com/playerStats.aspx?pid=54068&b=1&y=2008&sp=101)
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=740><TBODY><TR><TD width=469 align=left></TD><TD class=txt11px vAlign=center rowSpan=3 width=210 align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD width=480 align=left>2008 #84 Nichols, Tate (Junior) - TE</TD></TR><TR><TD width=480 align=left>Ht: 6-7, Wt: 240lbs.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Prep Sports at Cincinnati.com (http://preps.cincinnati.com/playerStats.aspx?pid=21395&b=1&y=2007&sp=101)

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=740><TBODY><TR><TD width=480 align=left>2007 #18 Nichols, Tate (Sophomore) - WR </TD></TR><TR><TD width=480 align=left>Ht: 6-6, Wt: 180lbs.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

49er-Irish
12-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey, if this kid can put on 60 lbs between his sophomore and junior seasons he could be well over 300 lbs next fall!

fbjunky
12-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Tate played basketball up until this year. I'm not sure about the numbers from his previous season but I am sure that he weighs around 275 right now, he also told me he was seeing a nutritionist that some of the ND guys have seen.

jason_h537
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I remember Joseph Fauria was being considered for a tackle. Rivals kept switching him from the #7 TE to the # 10 Tackle his senior year

BGIF
12-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Tate played basketball up until this year. I'm not sure about the numbers from his previous season but I am sure that he weighs around 275 right now, he also told me he was seeing a nutritionist that some of the ND guys have seen.

Basketball is good for the footwork.

The nutritonist is a good move. I could add 20 pounds with frequent visits to Bruster's. Sounds like he may be doing it the right way.

fbjunky
12-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Tate Nichols

TE/DE, Ryle

Height, weight: 6-7, 260

Credentials: Raiders Coach Bryson Warner said Nichols' modest receiving numbers ó 28 catches, 455 yards, three TDs ó disguise his game-changing ability on offense. "He's a devastating blocker, a guy who can literally take out the whole side of a defensive line," Warner said. "His stats don't look that good because he was double- and triple-teamed almost every play." That opened things up for Ryle's other receivers and running backs. And Nichols was a standout on defense, where he was also double- and triple-teamed. Nichols, who scored 31 on the ACT, has committed to Stanford, where he will be an offensive lineman.

Austin Collinsworth
RB/S, Highlands

Height, weight: 6-1, 195

Credentials: A key contributor to three state titles in three years playing three positions is a testament to Collinsworth's talent, strength, speed and versatility. The son of former Cincinnati Bengals star and current TV analyst Cris Collinsworth, he played safety as a sophomore, receiver and safety as a junior, and running back as a senior while helping Highlands win 44 of 45 games. After catching 46 passes for 840 yards and 10 touchdowns last year, he moved to the backfield and ran for 1,500 yards and 23 TDs this fall. He won the Paul Hornung Award as the top player in the state. He committed to Notre Dame on Friday after also receiving scholarship offers from Kentucky, Cincinnati, Louisville, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

Click on link for complete article

2009 Class of the Commonwealth - SPORTS UPDATE - Kentucky.com (http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/1066474-p2.html)

fbjunky
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I was told that Illinois offered to Nichols today.

fbjunky
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Tate Nichols' high lite film is posted on youtube.

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Rivals mentioned he is 6'7 and 278 pounds. That is a big boy.

BGIF
01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Smart kid 3.6 GPA with a 31 ACT.

Big23Head
01-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Rivals blurb also says he hopes to hear from ND again.

The Polish Irishman
01-14-2010, 11:46 PM
According to ISD:

Will take an unofficial to ND this weekend. Has spoken to the new OL coach.

irishtrain
01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Coach Kelly is pretty smooth and lets introduce him to the new strength coach. That guy would make me want to play at Notre Dame. The new strength coach is a strength. Plus its a short drive up from Kentucky for his folks.

The Polish Irishman
01-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the Family....thanks Stanford, again

According to ISD: Committed today

Polish Leppy 22
01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Beautiful. Should be interesting to see if they keep him at TE or turn him into a project at OT

vernfootball1
01-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Yea just saw this hes the man, i hope he turns out to be a ryan clady or joe staley, 2 star te out of hs, and become stud left tackle then 1st round draft pick, and stud lt in nfl

WabashFalcon
01-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Great get. While he will be a project, we have an OT now. We can go out and still press for James and Henderson... if we get both, one, or none, we at least have added on to the OL.

BGIF
01-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Nichols Switches Verbal To Make No. 19 :: Blue and Gold Illustrated (http://www.blueandgold.com/content/printversion.cfm?aid=8616)

1/16 Jason Sapp BlueandGold Freebie

ďND offered and I accepted,Ē the 6-foot-7, 282-pound prospect reported to BlueandGold.com via text while on his way home from South Bend.

Nichols was previously committed to Stanford, and began to waver on his decision in late December. He initiated the contact with Notre Dame following the hiring of Brian Kelly, and the Irish coaches quickly got into action.

His original plan was to travel West this weekend, but he cancelled and make the drive to Notre Dame instead

NDinL.A.
01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm not going to be one of those guys that laughs at Michigan for getting 3 stars and then praises ND for getting the same thing. As long as we still go after the big boys, I'll trust the coaches on this one. It's a position of need, so I'm happy we got him. Just got in, and it was nice to come home to a verbal. Truth is, the AP's O-linemen of the year were two four stars, two 3 stars and I believe a 2 star (I'll have to look that up again). So it could turn out to be a great get. Of course, we'd all like to see the 5 stars, but again, just gotta go with the staff here and hope for the best.

I haven't checked out ISD yet, so it'll be interesting to see what Steve has to say about why the verbal came so quickly. It'll also be brutal to hear the idiots who scream that all Kelly will go after are 2 and 3 star guys.

But hey, welcome aboard brother. It's nice of you to go to our farm club for a while (Stanford) and work your way up to the big leagues (Notre Dame) LOL...

FightingIrishLover7
01-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the family!

He may be only 2 stars, but he can improve on the little things.

He already has the height and size, and thats one thing you can't really improve on.

IrishInFl
01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Yea just saw this hes the man, i hope he turns out to be a ryan clady or joe staley, 2 star te out of hs, and become stud left tackle then 1st round draft pick, and stud lt in nfl

I was thinking more of Jason Smith of Baylor. He went to Baylor originally as a TE and became an OT. He was last year's #2 overall draft pick.

vernfootball1
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I was thinking more of Jason Smith of Baylor. He went to Baylor originally as a TE and became an OT. He was last year's #2 overall draft pick.

Yea that is a good a really good comparison to

BGIF
01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
IrishIllustrated.com - Nichols makes quick flip (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1040541)

1/16 Jake Brown IrishIllustrated Freebie

Brown's included a YouTube clip of Nichols Senior Highlights. Keep in mind he played TE in HS.

The 6-foot-7, 278-pound prospect from Union, Ky., excelled at tight end for Ryle High School, but most college coaches projected him at offensive tackle for the same reasons he was a standout tight end: athletic ability, good feet and a large frame.

Cleared ND Admissions

ďThen I needed to meet with the admissions guy in the morning just to make sure everything was gonna go over smoothly as far as getting into the school, which wasnít a problem at all. (Saturday) morning I got back to the football facility around 10:30 or 11 and committed to coach Warriner and gave coach Kelly a call and told him I was officially committing.Ē

Impressed with Basilica

Iím Catholic so it was obviously something that was unbelievable.

On Playing OT

Iíve kind of accepted it. ... At the beginning of the process it was kind of difficult. During the season and stuff I kind of accepted that that was the directions I was gonna have to go. At this point Iíve kind of accepted it and Iíve started to own it a little bit. Iíve kind of gotten into the mode of playing offensive tackle.

vernfootball1
01-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Just watched that video and i guess there only play is jump ball to nichols, well i guess thats what you do when you have a 6 7 te

phork
01-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Its not the stars on the recruit that count, its the stars IN the recruit and how he is nurtured to bring those stars out that does.

BGIF
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
The last minute so of that youtube video is titled "Blocking". It's tough to pick up as the video is shot from the top of the stands and usually covers the whole field. When they do zoom in the players still appear far away.

They use 3 rotating white dots to isolate the player/action. In some cases they key on Nichols at TE while in other it appears they keye downfield or to one side of the field or the other where the play is headed. I found it hard to follow the blocking portion of the clip. It appears that on a number of occasions Nichols lined up in the interior not as a TE. I didn't read in any of the freebie articles out today that he has played OT or OG.

Wabash can you take a look and see what you can pick out.

WabashFalcon
01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
The last minute so of that youtube video is titled "Blocking". It's tough to pick up as the video is shot from the top of the stands and usually covers the whole field. When they do zoom in the players still appear far away.

They use 3 rotating white dots to isolate the player/action. In some cases they key on Nichols at TE while in other it appears they keye downfield or to one side of the field or the other where the play is headed. I found it hard to follow the blocking portion of the clip. It appears that on a number of occasions Nichols lined up in the interior not as a TE. I didn't read in any of the freebie articles out today that he has played OT or OG.

Wabash can you take a look and see what you can pick out.

This is coming from stream of conciousness... I do this as I watch tape.

First... Bullshit on not having and End Zone shot.

He's high in his stance.
He's high off the ball.
Makes the crackback... not bad at the point of attack.
He's strong... but his blocking form is too high right now.
I like his feet. They don't stop on first contact. Good leg drive and foot push.
I like his hands. Good punch, fights to get his hands inside the box.
This is more "watch me freaking crackback on kids film"... so, yes, legit highlight film. But's it is easy to crack a kid that doesn't see you on your tracks.
He's using his upper body strength well.

All in all... he needs to improve on his form. He is too high in his blocking posture. Needs to become a natural knee-bender... not stand up face mask to face mask.

Now to be a OT at the next level, he needs to become a hell of a pass blocker. Didn't see any of that on the film. That, and I didn't see him block in space that much. Would love to see him do a bit more of the aformentioned types of blocks.

Bottom line... he's a strong kid. That being said, he's going to be a 2-3 project.

BGIF
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM

He's high in his stance.
He's high off the ball.
I like his feet. They don't stop on first contact. Good leg drive and foot push.
This is more "watch me freaking crackback on kids film"... so, yes, legit highlight film. But's it is easy to crack a kid that doesn't see you on your tracks.

All in all... he needs to improve on his form. He is too high in his blocking posture. Needs to become a natural knee-bender... not stand up face mask to face mask.

Now to be a OT at the next level, he needs to become a hell of a pass blocker. Didn't see any of that on the film. That, and I didn't see him block in space that much. Would love to see him do a bit more of the aformentioned types of blocks.

Bottom line... he's a strong kid. That being said, he's going to be a 2-3 project.

Thanks for the evaluation.

Nichols isn't the answer for the immediate need at LT but he is a sorely needed OL. We need 4 in this class. Now we have 2.

NDinL.A.
01-16-2010, 05:09 PM

He's high in his stance.
He's high off the ball.

Reps Wabash. Thanks for that. And for what it's worth, the coach who's paid to evaluate talent on ISD is excited about the commit and said a lot of the same things Wabash said. And that guy is spot-on on a lot of recruits...

IrishAddiction
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Agreed, excellent evaluation Wabash. I can take it when kids are projects, especially at such a position of need as OT.

That being said, Welcome to the family Tate. We havent gone wrong in the past fews seasons with the name Tate, so make us proud.

NDinL.A.
01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I've been exchanging emails with a Stanford grad. Here is what he said about Nichols:

As to Nichols.... for what it's worth... one of our posters on our subscription site, a former Stanford offensive lineman who likes to view tape, loved the tape on Nichols a long time ago. Thought he had great potential as an OT. So, we think you got a good one. Not sure why we cooled on him. Perhaps we had other pressing needs? Don't know. Our commit list shows 4 OT. But at least one, perhaps 2 will slide inside.

This guy wouldn't blow shit up my nose, so I believe what he said. Perhaps Stanford did cool on him with all those O-linemen (that's not but Nicholls was saying, but whatever), but the important thing is that a former O-lineman really liked his tape. That's encouraging...

bert2834
01-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the team Tate!!

sportallyr
01-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Lose a Tate, gain a Tate. Welcome to the team Tate Nichols. I actually wouldn't mind it if he stayed at TE. We could use a really good blocking TE to compliment Rudolph's excellent pass catching skills. Maybe he'll gain weight and become a tackle, but he could also stay where he's at (or lose a few lbs) and be very useful as a TE in my opinion.

PapaIrish37
01-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Good to see the number of commits growing and not shrinking. Good to see Warriner was involved in this and was the first to get the word from Tate. Thanks to Wabash for a great review. I think it is better to have athletic that needs to put on pounds than a 5 star lard bucket out of high school that never quite develops the speed, quickness and agility needed to compete at the next level.

Welcome aboard Tate! Glad to have you with the Irish.

NDinNM
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Scout now has him as the #73 OT and has him as a 3 star

irishmarine
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
And that's just off of potential. Love the commit and with the way try seem to develope talent could ve a good LT

WabashFalcon
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Wha wha wha? A recruit that WENT UP after he committed to us?

Looks out window, sees a man on a black horse followed by three more.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BGIF
01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Scout now has him as the #73 OT and has him as a 3 star

Now he's up to #71!

At this rate by NSD he'll be ...

irishandy
01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Nice pick up by the Irish, now if they can only add Henderson and Stone.

NeuteredDoomer
01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Lose a Tate, gain a Tate.

Hope he doesn't hesi tate.

Shut up tko.

Nice post Wabash. I hope you are coaching.

The Polish Irishman
01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Gained a Star from Rivals, now list at at 3 Star and #62 OT with a 5.6 Ranking

SoJerseyIrish
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Gained a Star from Rivals, now list at at 3 Star and #62 OT with a 5.6 Ranking

It's the ND effect........LOL....

WabashFalcon
01-21-2010, 11:39 AM
It's the ND effect........LOL....

No... it's the freaking anti-Irish effect. I've NEVER seen this happen...

SoJerseyIrish
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
No... it's the freaking anti-Irish effect. I've NEVER seen this happen...

It's the herd mentality with Recruiting Rankings, these services can only cover so many kids at one time, it would take 100's of people to cover all of the kids out there and offer full in depth reviews.......and lets be honest, if you can offer valuable in depth reviews of HS kids you should be working for a College, not toiling away on the Internet.......but I digress.......if Florida or Bama offered this kid he would have shot up too, so it's not just a ND effect, it is more of a big name school effect.....fairly common in the recruiting realm.

Also keep in mind that when a big school like a ND offers a kid, there is more interest by the fans and more incentive to evaluate the kid b/c it will lead to more hits on a website which = more $$$$$. The subscription fees to these websites are just one facet of the revenue stream, there is a lot of money in the advertising side and if you throw ND out there it will lead to more website hits which means you can charge more for advertising.

49er-Irish
02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Coach Kelly just stated in his press conference that Tate was 6'7" and weighed in at 292 lbs during his official visit. Hell yeah.

So much for any questions about how much weight he can put on.

irishff1014
02-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Damn thats a big boy.

jason_h537
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
292? and Schwenke is 240? i hope it's true and Kelly isnt just being "generous"

BGIF
02-04-2010, 04:05 AM

Why would he be generous with two players weight?

Did he underreport Nix weight to make him svelte?

BGIF
02-04-2010, 04:09 AM
With Tate at 292 and Lombard and James in the 290 range. We've got 3 OLs at playing weight. They'll still need Div 1 Strength and Technique.

chyrspchuck
02-04-2010, 05:05 AM

Nichols said the same weight on ISD power hour interview. I'm sure the kid isn't lying.

BCSorBust
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Look at this kids weight the last couple of years too. He has packed on the pounds and supposedly not lost his feet or quickness. Give him a couple of more years to get the D1 strength and technique and I think him and James will lock down our tackle spots very nicely.

Junkhead
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
ESPN still lists him at 230.

Domina Nostra
02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I think this kid was the biggest steal in the class, both literally and figuratively. Adding this kid to the 2 USA Today 1st Team OLs that we got- I consider this an underrated haul. After our last 5 years, OL is a position where I have become particularly skeptical of star-rankings.

What I think it comes down to is that the tools you need to be a Tier 1 TE and Tier 1 OT are different.

Say this kid has average hands and average speed for a TE, and his frame is such that he will be too balky to run a lot once he gets to full weight (as opposed to a Rudolp or Rangone). He is a 2-3 star TE. On the other hand, if he wants to play OT and has average corordination and speed for a college TE at 6'7" and approaching 300 lbs.-- well that looks pretty good. As soon as he committed himself to switching positions, which it sounds like he was hesitant to do but has committed himself to fully, he got an extra star just based on tapes, measurables, etc..

irishmarine
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I can see this kid being a beast after 2 years of eating right and a good weight program. The oline coach just has tocteach them now...

TerryTate
06-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Update from Rivals:

It's a challenge to find what won't be foreign to the jumbo athlete from Union, Ky. He'll dive into a new position, switching from tight end to offensive tackle. He'll join a new program, signing with Notre Dame after being a Stanford commitment for 10 months. He'll even put a new physique to work at 6-foot-7, 295 pounds.

"At this time last year I was 245 pounds," Nichols laughed. "If you'd told me I was going to be 295, I'd have said, 'What?!?!' It's worked out all right. I feel like I'm in really good shape. I feel like I can run just as fast and be this big."

At 6'7" 295 and good foot speed - I think he may be the most underrated guy from the 2010 class.

irishmarine
06-17-2010, 04:58 AM
And hopefully a lock down tackle for years

TerryTate
08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ABcgV-HjljY/TGLR3cxpKXI/AAAAAAAAGkE/ncjK4WnIsz0/s512/IMG_8228.jpg

Tate Nichols - Huge.

johnnykillz
08-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Thats a GIGANTIC Nichols compared to last year. Looks like he's going to be in the right position...

Sherm Sticky
08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
That is a big boy! Go get them Tate!

Irish.Ca
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Cannot wait until he's two years older, he's gonna be serving up pancakes all day long. IMO that Tony might need to avoid the training table.

Riddickulous
08-18-2010, 01:24 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ABcgV-HjljY/TGLR3cxpKXI/AAAAAAAAGkE/ncjK4WnIsz0/s512/IMG_8228.jpg

Tate Nichols - Huge.

I'm actually more intimidated by the coach in front (Alford?).

PatsandBostonfan1975
08-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm actually more intimidated by the coach in front (Alford?).
holy cow hes huge !!!!!!!!!!!!

JughedJones
08-18-2010, 03:59 AM
ESPN still lists him at 230.

If that dude's 230 I'm probably around 110.

BGIF
08-18-2010, 04:52 AM
If that dude's 230 I'm probably around 110.

Well he's 291 (preseason camp weighin). I'm not sure what that makes you.

JughedJones
08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I got my posts mixed up, not trying to work some theoretical mathematics on ya!

Irish Man3
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
He's putting on good weight. I love what Longo is doing!

GO IRISH!!!
08-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't tell if that is a mouthpiece he has in or if he is eating a Mini Cooper.

Dude is immense! Th...that's what I am trying to say.

NeuteredDoomer
08-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Well he's 291 (preseason camp weighin). I'm not sure what that makes you.

About 140.

Whiskeyjack
08-13-2011, 09:38 AM
NDatRivals via Twitter:

#NotreDame offensive tackle Tate Nichols just walked into practice with a brace on his left knee and a noticeable limp.

IrishJayhawk
10-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Surgery. Done for the season. Too bad.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly talks injuries, personnel (http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Notre-Dame-coach-Brian-Kelly-talks-injuries-personnel-42988)

TerryTate
10-05-2011, 09:57 PM
He's going to to play next year. Might as well get it done now and rehab til spring.

clashmore_mike
03-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Dude is absolutely huge and has been impressive so far in practice.
http://www.trbimg.com/img-4f6e311d/turbine/sbt-photos-notre-dame-football-practice-201203-032/600

Buster Bluth
03-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Starter at RT?

Ironman8
03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-4f6e311d/turbine/sbt-photos-notre-dame-football-practice-201203-032/600

That is straight up unfair to do to a should be high schooler in Sheldon Day

clashmore_mike
03-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Starter at RT?

A guy that can at least stalemate Lynch on a pass rush is good enough to start for me :)

aubeirish
03-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Holly moses. He is huge. Me like.

irishmarine
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
That's a mountainous man

IrishinTN
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
lets be honest, our ol is lucky to go against guys like Lynch, Tuitt and Nix in practice. Only makes them that much better.

Junkhead
03-25-2012, 12:48 AM
lets be honest, our ol is lucky to go against guys like Lynch, Tuitt and Nix in practice. Only makes them that much better.

No disrespect to him, but Sam Young had monster size and underperformed at ND. Nichols has a better SC coach, better head coach, and a much better DL to practice against. Lets hope it shows!

ChiRish
03-25-2012, 12:50 AM

WOW. Kid is huge!!! Love that we're deep at OL.

BGIF
03-25-2012, 01:04 AM

To paraphrase: That which doesn't kill me makes me better.

BeauBenken
03-25-2012, 01:32 AM

Throw Sheldon in the deep end. He's got the talent and smarts to figure out how to swim.

ChiRish
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Throw Sheldon in the deep end. He's got the talent and smarts to figure out how to swim.

Agreed. Going up against guys the size of Tate has only helped the development of guys like Nix, Tuitt, and Lynch.

TerryTate
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Apparently went down with a knee injury today according to II. Not sure of the severity

Sherm Sticky
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Apparently went down with a knee injury today according to II. Not sure of the severity
He is another one who just can't stay healthy.

yankeeND
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Nooooooooooooo! This has been a terble camp for injuries. I hope it turns out ok.

IrishLax
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Our is slowly but surely approaching the territory of "thin"....

Me2SouthBend
08-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Our is slowly but surely approaching the territory of "thin"....

and I can't help but ask is this the apocalyptic bad news?

I hope this is the bad news and I hope it turns out to be merely a sprain. I am really looking forward to the day this monster breaks the huddle and seeks out the poor soul who is tasked w lining up opposite him. He will pancake that individual, book it.

johnnykillz
08-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Feels like this so far...

http://gifstumblr.com/images/when-it-rains-it-pours-on-truman_447.gif

rtrn2glory
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
stanley is going to be forced into early action this year.

Sherm Sticky
08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
stanley is going to be forced into early action this year.
Maybe...Or Golic starts at RG and Nick Martin is the backup Tackle.

rtrn2glory
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
martin right now is our next best lineman and he'll learn to play both spots imo...however, with the lack of depth idk if we'll be able to keep the redshirt on stanley

Sherm Sticky
08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
martin right now is our next best lineman and he'll learn to play both spots imo...however, with the lack of depth idk if we'll be able to keep the redshirt on stanley
Hope we do. But, at least he is getting good reviews so far in camp.

ndcoltsfan2010
08-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Man the injury bug keeps hitting. I really hope it's not too severe.

Bogtrotter07
08-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Has anyone found out whether he really is hurt and how bad or how long?

PLACforever
08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Has anyone found out whether he really is hurt and how bad or how long?

BUMP - Anyone got news?
I like Tate, as he frustrated Lynch enough in practice to throw a hissy fit back in the Spring.

johnnykillz
08-14-2012, 01:15 PM
BUMP - Anyone got news?
I like Tate, as he frustrated Lynch enough in practice to throw a hissy fit back in the Spring.

Because he owned him in practice.

Big Tate being gone would hurt.

I assume it will hurt.

caligold
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
This would be a huge loss. BUT if the team can develop that "next man in" toughness, especially in the trenches, then I think they will be taking the necessary steps towards developing championship caliber mentality.

micks60
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Not good. Hope he heals. Definately creates a lack of depth.

Bogtrotter07
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Still, no news . . .

peoriairish
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Not going to be out for an extended period of time.

Irish Sports Daily ‏@ISDUpdate
Hardin told me that Nichols likely isn't out for extended period of time

ab2cmiller
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Great News!

Emcee77
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Wow what a relief

IrishLax
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Like I said, if just a dislocated knee cap... no biggie. If a dislocated knee/torn ligaments... biggie.

Chamellion
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Subluxation of the patella. So it kind of slid out of place, just needs to be put back with rest, and then muscles stregthened so that it doesn't happen again.

Just a quick Tate-ism: He basically single-handedly won Keough's Frosh-O Tug of War. He's massive.

rtrn2glory
08-16-2012, 04:45 PM
no need to rush into things...hope he's fully 100% whenever they decide to turn him loose

GUknights75
09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Has there been any news on the progress of Tate? After watching Golic get manhandled last weekend (I love the kid and he brings great chemistry to the team but let's be honest here) we need him back to keep some pressure off of Golson and so that Lombard can go back to his spot at Right Guard.

irishknight35
09-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Lombard didn't really have that great of a game either. Really need to get Tate back if for nothing else to give the starters a breather every now and then.

I wonder if pass protecting most of the game was fatiguing them towards the end of the but it just seemed like silly technique errors which tends to happen when one gets tired.

Sherm Sticky
09-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Lombard didn't really have that great of a game either. Really need to get Tate back if for nothing else to give the starters a breather every now and then.

I wonder if pass protecting most of the game was fatiguing them towards the end of the but it just seemed like silly technique errors which tends to happen when one gets tired.
Not to mention Lombard was playing in his second career NCAA game.

GUknights75
09-10-2012, 11:05 PM

I believe Tate will play when he comes back, maybe take a week to get back into the swing of things but we have a guard playing the blindside Tackle (Golson is a lefty) and Tate is 6'8" 320 lbs. I know Lombard was in the mix for the starting RT position but Nichols won the job b/c he was a better pass blocker, that is why Lombard was moved to guard (will be a vast improvement to Golic when this happens).

IMO, it takes more energy to run block than to pass block.

Chamellion
09-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I believe Tate will play when he comes back, maybe take a week to get back into the swing of things but we have a guard playing the blindside Tackle (Golson is a lefty) and Tate is 6'8" 320 lbs. I know Lombard was in the mix for the starting RT position but Nichols won the job b/c he was a better pass blocker, that is why Lombard was moved to guard (will be a vast improvement to Golic when this happens).

pkt77242
09-10-2012, 11:16 PM

It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that Lombard won the RT job. It is more likely that N. Martin, Hanratty or Hegarty beat out Golic.

BGIF
09-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Subluxation of the patella. So it kind of slid out of place, just needs to be put back with rest, and then muscles stregthened so that it doesn't happen again.

Has it been enough time?

GUknights75
09-10-2012, 11:35 PM

yeah oops.....My bad, I for some reason had the Michael Vick comparison in my head. To make it clear (and yes I did double check) Golson is indeed a Right handed thrower.....smh

GUknights75
09-11-2012, 12:08 AM
It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that Lombard won the RT job. It is more likely that N. Martin, Hanratty or Hegarty beat out Golic.

I actually don't believe that there was an actual starter named (I should have said "I believe he would win the job") during camp before the injury(at least I couldn't find anything). From what was being reported though Nichols was very impressive during spring and fall camps. It just made the most sense to me that Tate was going to be the starter at RT and Lombard would be the starting RG and backup RT. Get your best 5 OL on the field. Tate, bc of his size compared to EG's, wouldn't be a good fit at guard IMO and has long arms which are ideal for pass blocking.

those were some sloppy posts, my apologies.

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 05:46 AM
6'8 and 320. That would have been nice to use against Michigan State.

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
For everybody who wants to criticize the offensive line, watch what happens to other offenses against Short & Co., particularly UofM the week after we play them. If that doesn't work, go out and play them yourself. I bet this is the best defensive front that ND faces this year.

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 07:33 AM
I'd probably take Michigan State's DL over Purdue's. But Purdue's matched up better against the Irish (from their perspective). I'd rather have Martin facing Gholston than Golic facing Short.

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 07:36 AM
See, excepting your point, which I agree with, I think that all three from PU are better than all of MSU's. Short beat Cave, too. It is a fiction to believe the offensive breakdown was all Golic's. With PU if Kerrigan were back I doubt he would start.

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Can you imagine Short and Kerrigan on the same squad?! YIKES.

And I thought the SEC had all of the DL talent...

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
I am thinking that is about what we saw. I talked to two people from Purdue, that are kind of in the know, and with all respect to Kerrigan, they think this team has at least two de's that eclipse his talent, including Russel.

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I am thinking that is about what we saw. I talked to two people from Purdue, that are kind of in the know, and with all respect to Kerrigan, they think this team has at least two de's that eclipse his talent, including Russel.

Two guys better than a B1G lineman of the year, first-team All-American, and 16th overall pick?

I'm doubtful.

Woneone
09-11-2012, 08:16 AM
For everybody who wants to criticize the offensive line, watch what happens to other offenses against Short & Co., particularly UofM the week after we play them. If that doesn't work, go out and play them yourself. I bet this is the best defensive front that ND faces this year.

I couldn't agree more.

They get both Michigan and Wisconsin in West Lafayette, and I think they win both. They will give Braxton Miller and Ohio State all they can handle in Columbus (going to difficult for Miller without gaping holes to run through).

After this season is over, I bet this Purdue win looks 10x better than it does at this moment.

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Mayok said something about it in the game, too. And when I watched Russel, I don't remember Martin having that kind of problem two years ago . . .

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 08:20 AM
We should be cognizant of Marve's ACL injury. That will cost them some games.

I'd love to see them knock of Ohio State and Michigan though.

Rizzophil
09-11-2012, 08:20 AM
I think Tate's injury is more serious than the program is letting on. 1) He had knee surgery in the past. 2) R Stanley burned his redshirt knowing that Tate wasn't available.

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Stanley could have burnt it because of Prestwood's absence too.

NYMIKE6
09-11-2012, 08:39 AM
2) R Stanley burned his redshirt knowing that Tate wasn't available.

He did not burn it yet. He played in the Navy game, but hasn't since. Kelly could quite possibly shelf him and reserve a 5th.

Buster Bluth
09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Huh?

If you play in one play you're redshirt is spent unless you're injured.

Ironman8
09-11-2012, 10:10 AM
If BK wanted I am sure he could use an injury (happens all the time), but I think we might not be able to have Stanley redshirt if he is the 3rd man in at tackle and Nichols has his reoccuring knee issue.

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Mike is okay, he just confused ND with the SEC for a quick second. This conversation took place elsewhere. How can you blame him, the SEC regularly plays young players in two or three games to test the water, then they come up "injured" to medred 1 year.

So does anyone know anything about Tate?

peoriairish
09-11-2012, 10:53 AM
yeah oops.....My bad, I for some reason had the Michael Vick comparison in my head. To make it clear (and yes I did double check) Golson is indeed a Right handed thrower.....smh

Maybe you're thinking of Zaire, the '13 commit. He's a lefty.

As for the sublux rehab, for him to get back to D1 shape, could take 6-8 weeks or so. The first 4 weeks of any muscle re-training is just the brain relearning how to properly recruit that muscle, then the muscle grows. I can't remember when this happened, but his rehab should be moving along well.

NYMIKE6
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Huh?

If you play in one play you're redshirt is spent unless you're injured.

Correct... So technically he could play a couple snaps each game but not after 5 games (i think) then they could give him a medical "redshirt".

BeauBenken
09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Considering all the linemen we will have coming in, it's not necessarily a bad thing that Stanley will be playing.

NYMIKE6
09-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Considering all the linemen we will have coming in, it's not necessarily a bad thing that Stanley will be playing.

True, the only thing is, if we do use up a 1 year of eligibility i hope he sees some meaningful snaps even if it is in mop up fashion.

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
From what I have heard the biggest thing is Stanley is ready.

How come nobody has heard a word about Tate?

BeauBenken
09-11-2012, 02:35 PM

That's some very wishful thinking.

Kerrigan got where he is through an outstanding motor and drive though not necessarily his athleticism. There are plenty of guys who are better athletes statistically, but not a whole lot who can actually match Kerrigan's play. From a DE position, he practically carried that team on his back.

Bogtrotter07
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
That's some very wishful thinking.

Kerrigan got where he is through an outstanding motor and drive though not necessarily his athleticism. There are plenty of guys who are better athletes statistically, but not a whole lot who can actually match Kerrigan's play. From a DE position, he practically carried that team on his back.

Keep your eyes on the PU line. That is what I said.

elboricua
09-11-2012, 03:19 PM
I think this is wishful thinking all around. Kerrigan was an elite player and elite athlete which is why he went in the 1st round. Go look at his combine numbers for some telling stats about what kind of pure athleticism he had. He also had an elite motor which was almost unmatched in college fb that year. Dude ran a 4.71 at almost 270 and he did well in the broad jump, vert, and bench. Elite athlete.

BeauBenken
09-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Keep your eyes on the PU line. That is what I said.

I certainly must say, they surprised me. And I had already decided to watch to see what Purdue does this year.

BeauBenken
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
I think this is wishful thinking all around. Kerrigan was an elite player and elite athlete which is why he went in the 1st round. Go look at his combine numbers for some telling stats about what kind of pure athleticism he had. He also had an elite motor which was almost unmatched in college fb that year. Dude ran a 4.71 at almost 270 and he did well in the broad jump, vert, and bench. Elite athlete.

If you meet Ryan, trust me, he doesn't ooze athleticism quite like a lot of the pros will. And he can definitely throw up some weight. He's been doing it forever. He's a monster in the weight room.

elboricua
09-11-2012, 06:21 PM
If you meet Ryan, trust me, he doesn't ooze athleticism quite like a lot of the pros will. And he can definitely throw up some weight. He's been doing it forever. He's a monster in the weight room.

Yeah I agree. All I'm saying is that you don't get drafted in the 1st round if you are not an elite athlete. Doesn't happen. This kid could be better than Kerrigan. Might happen. I just think that it is unlikely based on what we know about Kerrigan.

charlyp123
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
any word on when he might be back? Any shot of him playing against MSU?

Chamellion
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Has it been enough time?

I'm a forum poster not a doctor damn it!

GUknights75
09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I will pass this along from Spond's thread

"Tate Nichols will go through some individual workouts today," Kelly said. "He will not be involved in any team. Last week he put a bar on his shoulder for the first time, so he was in the weight room. So he now he enters that next stage of re-engaging, if you will, in football-related activities. But he will not be available to us this weekend.

Carlisle could return; Nichols, Spond out - Notre Dame Football Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/8595/carlisle-could-return-nichols-spond-out)

This was posted September 4th FWIW

charlyp123
09-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Hoping he starts to work his way back into the line up. Should be okay against Michigan, from all accounts, their d-line talent is down and since they run so many zone blitzs and stunts it is probably better to stay with the guys that have been playing together the past few weeks. But hoping to get him back in time for the U so that he'll be really game ready for Stanford. Great work this weekend fellas! Keep it up!

Sherm Sticky
09-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Hoping he starts to work his way back into the line up. Should be okay against Michigan, from all accounts, their d-line talent is down and since they run so many zone blitzs and stunts it is probably better to stay with the guys that have been playing together the past few weeks. But hoping to get him back in time for the U so that he'll be really game ready for Stanford. Great work this weekend fellas! Keep it up!
What makes you think he will be starting sometime in the upcoming weeks?

koonja
09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
What makes you think he will be starting sometime in the upcoming weeks?

Aren't most people thinking he'll somehow find his way on the field and Golic out?

peoriairish
09-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Aren't most people thinking he'll somehow find his way on the field and Golic out?

Yes. And praying for it...

irishknight35
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
He is going to need some time to get up to game speed with the rest of the O-line. Also can't underestimate the importance continuity along the o-line but would still like to see him get playing time when healthy.

Emcee77
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Golic looked like the weak link against Purdue but I'm not ready to say we should move him out. An O-Line has to play as a unit. I'm not sure he looked so bad that we need to sacrifice whatever cohesiveness the line may have by changing things up. I think Nichols will be a backup tackle this season. Next season, maybe you move Lombard over to guard and start Nichols, depending on how Hanratty and Nick Martin look, and on whether Z. Martin comes back, and on whether Nichols beats out Stanley.

PerthDomer
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
The Bye seems like a perfect time to work him in if we're going to do it. Miami is putrid so he'd have a game under his belt at low risk to team success before we play Stanford.

Sherm Sticky
09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Golic looked like the weak link against Purdue but I'm not ready to say we should move him out. An O-Line has to play as a unit. I'm not sure he looked so bad that we need to sacrifice whatever cohesiveness the line may have by changing things up. I think Nichols will be a backup tackle this season. Next season, maybe you move Lombard over to guard and start Nichols, depending on how Hanratty and Nick Martin look, and on whether Z. Martin comes back, and on whether Nichols beats out Stanley.
Agree 100%

zbikowski88
09-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Tate Nichols is in the two-deep & practicing on o-line.

arrowryan
09-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Great news!!

TheChosen1
09-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Please challenge Golic for his job

peoriairish

:rbanana:

irishfanjho15
Hot diggity-dog.

polishjuice4
09-20-2012, 07:33 PM
At RT?

woolybug25
09-20-2012, 07:46 PM
That is really big news actually. This could really help us this week.

Who'saWildManNow
09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes.. another big body in the trenches!

Me2SouthBend
09-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Goal line Red Zone package. Give him the ball get the hell out of the way. I would love to see him on the right side of the line in all seriousness.

woolybug25
09-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Goal line Red Zone package. Give him the ball get the hell out of the way. I would love to see him on the right side of the line in all seriousness.

and have Irish Chocolate lead block for him...

IrishJayhawk
09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes.. another big body in the trenches!

The BIGGEST body.

rtrn2glory
09-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Golic is a guard not tackle...only thing would be if they move lombard to guard and i don't think that'll happen

charlyp123
09-24-2012, 07:14 PM
did he play this weekend against Michigan? Didn't notice him out there but I'm not sure, to be perfectly honest.

clashmore_mike
09-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't think so. When Martin had to miss a play because his helmet came off it was Ronnie Stanley running in to replace him.

arrowryan
09-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Will Nichols move to right guard or does he stay at right tackle?

Ironman8
09-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Nichols is not a guard. Think he will always have to be targeting the RT spots if Zack stays one more year then passes off to Ronnie.

Whiskeyjack
09-29-2012, 06:12 PM

If anyone moves inside, it will likely be Lombard.

Luckylucci
09-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Agree on the right tackle comment, he's too tall to play guard not sure he has the bend as well. But we need to gets this behemoth on the field

arrowryan
09-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Golic is the leak on this o-line. We need to get him out of there

johnnykillz
09-29-2012, 09:05 PM

^
What's this "we" stuff?

"I" trust our coaching staff.

"They," the "team," are doing great...

bolt_Speedman
09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
^
What's this "we" stuff?

I believe he was referring to "my people".

zbikowski88
10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Tate Nichols is the No. 2 right tackle, with Nick Martin sliding over to back up at right guard.

Junkhead
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM

"We" have to trust the coaching staff enough to know who to play. They watch the film and practices. That said, he may be the weak link so far.

Sherm Sticky
10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
So that leaves Hanratty...no where to be found?

PANDFAN
10-02-2012, 09:32 AM
LG 66 CHRIS WATT 6-3 310 Sr.
65 Conor Hanratty 6-5 305 So.

Sherm Sticky
10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Word

BGIF
10-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Tate Nichols is the No. 2 right tackle, with Nick Martin sliding over to back up at right guard.

He hasn't played a snap, has he?

Don't you have to play, with a third of the season gone, to be the #2 anywhere?

Big strong, guy with a bothersome kneecap. But even if healthy and durable, he's not the answer nor is shifting Nick to backup guard. We need a more effective Starter at RG.

Sherm Sticky
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
He hasn't played a snap, has he?

Don't you have to play, with a third of the season gone, to be the #2 anywhere?

Big strong, guy with a bothersome kneecap. But even if healthy and durable, he's not the answer nor is shifting Nick to backup guard. We need a more effective Starter at RG.
I say the massive Hanratty...btw don't touch the RT, he is going to be a stud.

Ironman8
11-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton
#NotreDame HC Brian Kelly on reserve OT Tate Nichols: "We're going to get an MRI on his knee. We may have (taken a step back)."

johnnykillz
11-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton

Crap!

FLDomer
11-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I feel bad for this kid. I think he has/had so much potential. I wonder if medical redshirt is in the stars for him. It's ashame because he is a monster.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
11-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I hope he is able to recover from this. I feel bad for him.

tko
11-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I blame Lynch.

Redbar
11-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Damn. I hope this situation is not too serious, and ends in the best possible way for Tate.

johnnykillz
11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I blame Lynch.

Yeah, Mama Lynch.

iamtrulypissed

tko
11-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, Mama Lynch.

iamtrulypissed

LOL, so good.

zbikowski88
11-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Irish Illustrated ‏@NDatRivals
#NotreDame OT Tate Nichols has suffered a setback with his knee injury and it could be career ending, sources tell Irish Illustrated.

TheChosen1
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Feel for the kid

Riddickulous
11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Jesus. Feel so bad for him.

HereComeTheIrish
11-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Chin up, Tate....

clashmore_mike
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
:(

Rizzophil
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
That is terrible for Tate.

I guess that would explain the additional recruiting with a limited number of scholarships. A medical hardship would open up a possible scholly.

Me2SouthBend
11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
The good news is, he'll be studying towards a diploma from ND. At any of a number of $EC schools, he might as well have used the diploma as a coaster.

koonja
11-04-2012, 09:31 PM
So this is a situation where he'll be placed on medical hardship, opening up a scholly?

Riddickulous
11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
So this is a situation where he'll be placed on medical hardship, opening up a scholly?

Yes.

Junkhead
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
That stinks. I looked forward to seeing the big guy get out there and roll some heads. Good luck to Tate, get that degree!

mgriff
11-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Lattimore and Nichols should be in every recruiting conversation we have. You're still set to live a great life with an incredible income with a degree from ND.

Emcee77
11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Terrible news. Good luck, Tate.

johnnykillz
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Here's to Tate!

He took care of a team chemistry issue personally pinning their shoulder pads into the turf a few times.

And now he continues to strengthen our faith in what the university provides should you become injured.

I hope he makes it back.

ThePiombino
11-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Best of luck, Tate!

Fbolt
11-04-2012, 10:40 PM
The good news is, he'll be studying towards a diploma from ND. At any of a number of $EC schools, he might as well have used the diploma as a coaster.

yep

rtrn2glory
11-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Here's to Tate!

He took care of a team chemistry issue personally pinning their shoulder pads into the turf a few times.

And now he continues to strengthen our faith in what the university provides should you become injured.

I hope he makes it back.

i'd rep you if i knew how...so true

wishing for the best for tate. such bad luck for this poor kid.

Irishman77
11-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Did it for ya

ndfi78
11-05-2012, 12:58 PM

http://www.flkhost.com/caleb/reps.jpg

Click on the button in the red box above, gives you option of + or - reps.

polishjuice4
11-06-2012, 01:03 AM
"With right tackle Tate Nichols reportedly out due to a career-ending injury", did Sapp confirmed it or he is speculating? It's on the 247 BC depth chart.

Whiskeyjack
11-06-2012, 01:05 AM

3,853 posts, and you still don't know how to rep? o.O

TheChosen1
11-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Tyler James‏@TJamesNDI

Not surprising, but Tate Nichols no longer on the #NotreDame two-deep at RT. Replaced by Nick Martin at No. 2. Was listed last week.

Tyler James‏@TJamesNDI

As a result, Bruce Heggie replaces Nick Martin as No. 2 RG.

NDBoiler
11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Lattimore and Nichols should be in every recruiting conversation we have. You're still set to live a great life with an incredible income with a degree from ND.

^^^This

dublinirish
11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Every HS recruit should see The Best that Never Was, the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Marcus Dupree. It would scare alot of them into making more mature decisions about where they go to school.

TheChosen1
11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Irish Illustrated‏@NDatRivals

#NotreDame offensive tackle Tate Nichols is likely out for the season with a PCL knee injury, head coach Brian Kelly said.

Emcee77
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Irish Illustrated‏@NDatRivals

#NotreDame offensive tackle Tate Nichols is likely out for the season with a PCL knee injury, head coach Brian Kelly said.

Hmm, just a PCL, not the ACL or meniscus? Not sure that's career-ending. He could be ready for fall camp next year, right?

johnnykillz
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Hmm, just a PCL, not the ACL or meniscus? Not sure that's career-ending. He could be ready for fall camp next year, right?

#hope

rtrn2glory
11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
not usually a career ender, but with his history of knee issues who knows...hope he recovers, best of luck still to him.

50milesSE ND
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Hopefully it all works out for him. I was really looking forward to seeing him play. Yes thankfully he chose Notre Dame.

Irish.Ca
11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Tyler James‏@TJamesNDI

As a result, Bruce Heggie replaces Nick Martin as No. 2 RG.

Prepare for a Heggie sighting, cannot wait.

GoldenIsThyFame
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Just want to bump his thread so everyone sees the update:

@BGI_DanMurphy
#NotreDame OL Tate Nichols may not be able to return to action, Kelly says.

@NDatRivals
Kelly said clearance on Hegarty soon, Nichols not as confident he'll be able to return to action, conversation about a medical scholarship.

rtrn2glory
01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
one of my biggest disappointments that we'll prolly never get a chance to see him compete full speed

no blame on his part of course....poor kid

jakerbluegold
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Dammit! Feel bad for him.

Ironman8
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>According to SBT's Eric Hansen, who spoke with <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23NotreDame">#NotreDame</a> coach Brian Kelly recently, Tate Nichols' career is over because of injuries.</p>&mdash; Dan Murphy (@BGI_DanMurphy) <a href="https://twitter.com/BGI_DanMurphy/status/309796438433464321">March 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ironman8
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23NotreDame">#NotreDame</a> head coach Brian Kelly confirms offensive tackle Tate Nichols' ND career is over. Medical hardship is official.</p>&mdash; Eric Hansen (@hansenNDInsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/hansenNDInsider/status/309797325130301440">March 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tadman95
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Damn

Rack Em
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Damn this guy was a monster.

GoIrish41
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
sucks

BeauBenken
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Poor guy. Had loads of potential. Hope he figures out what his plans are now. He picked the right school, that's for certain.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
So sad to hear the bad news.

Sherm Sticky
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Best of luck in life Tate. Use that degree to the fullest.

Buster Bluth
03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
He's in the Mendoza College, majoring in marketing. He definitely picked the best school for him now that football is over.

Whiskeyjack
03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
The writing has been on the wall for a while, but this still hurts.

Nichols is hulking OT, and ever since we heard reports that he frustrated Aaron Lynch into picking a fight with him in practice, I've been excited to see him on the field.

Sucks that won't happen now. Our OT depth is scary thin this year. We'll need another season of good fortune on the injury front to make it to a BCS game.

Time to flex that ROI, Tate.

Sherm Sticky
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
The writing has been on the wall for a while, but this still hurts.

Nichols is hulking OT, and ever since we heard reports that he frustrated Aaron Lynch into picking a fight with him in practice, I've been excited to see him on the field.

Sucks that won't happen now. Our OT depth is scary thin this year. We'll need another season of good fortune on the injury front to make it to a BCS game.

Time to flex that ROI, Tate.
It's not scary thin, it's just very inexperienced.

Whiskeyjack
03-07-2013, 06:47 PM
It's not scary thin, it's just very inexperienced.

Semantics. We obviously have decent numbers.

But if Stanley isn't up to the task, an injury at OT would either: (1) necessitate a serious shake-up on the OL; or (2) force us to play a true freshman.

Neither of those options would bode well for our offensive prospects in 2013.

Rack Em
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CB17uWuBrL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sherm Sticky
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Semantics. We've obviously bodies. If Stanley isn't up to the task, an injury at OT would either: (1) necessitate a serious shake-up on the OL; or (2) force us to play a true freshman.

Neither of those options would bode well for our offensive prospects in 2013.
True.

I have a lot of faith in Stanley though. I think he could be the best OT to come out of ND in a long time.