PDA

View Full Version : '10 TX CB Toney Hurd (A&M Verbal)

BGIF
09-16-2009, 02:18 AM
TONEY HURD | Cornerback

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=200>Missouri City, TX
Fort Bend Marshall High School

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 184 lbs
Forty: 4.48 secs
Bench: 325 lbs
Squat: 430 lbs
Shuttle: 4.12 secs
Vertical: 31"
GPA: 3.57
SAT: 1460
</TD><TD vAlign=top>RANKING
Rivals: :s::s::s:, Cornerbacks (44), Rating 5.7
Scout: :s::s::s:, Cornerbacks (28)
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:, Cornerbacks (10), National (120), Grade 81

STATISTICS | Defense
Junior: 52 UT, 35 AT, 87 Tck, 5 Int, 16 BR, 1 FR
Sophomore: 42 Tck, 2 Int, 12 BR
</TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

COLLEGE CHOICES<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=125>School</TD><TD width=175>Interest</TD><TD width=50>Offer</TD><TD width=125>Visit</TD></TR><TR><TD>Notre Dame</TD><TD>COMMITTED (10/30/2009)</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>09/18/2009</TD></TR><TR><TD>California</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Florida State</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oklahoma</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oklahoma State</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oregon</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tennessee</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Texas A&M</TD><TD>COMMITTED 1/02/10</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jason_h537
09-16-2009, 02:20 AM
He doesnt have a thread already?

BGIF
09-16-2009, 02:22 AM
9/15 Per IrishSportsDaily.com

College Football Recruiting On the Trail 2010 - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/onthetrail)

ESPNU 150 cornerback Toney Hurd Jr. (Missouri City, Texas/Marshall) is slated to officially visit Notre Dame this weekend for the Irish's contest against Michigan State. It will be his first visit to South Bend, Ind.

Hurd's mother has instructed him to refrain from publicly naming any favorites until he has taken some visits.

Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Arizona, Auburn, California, Oregon and Tennessee have also offered the 5-foot-10, 180-pound prospect.

Hurd registered 87 tackles, five interceptions and 16 pass breakups last season.

BGIF
09-16-2009, 02:24 AM
He doesnt have a thread already?

I though he did but couldn't find one visually or with the IrishEnvy Search Function.

jason_h537
09-16-2009, 02:26 AM
I read earlier that he was gonna visit and was really surprised. I took him off my recruiting list a looooong time ago

BGIF
09-16-2009, 02:29 AM
The 3 recruiting services agree he's a Div 1 CB but how good is the question. Scout and Rivals gave him 3 Stars while ESPN gave him 4. ESPN ranks him as the 10th best CB while Rivals is the lowest of the services with a #46 ranking.

RANKING:
Rivals: :s::s::s:, #46 CB, Rating 5.7
Scout: :s::s::s:, #28 CB
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:, #10 CB, Grade 81

Hurd is quick, agile, and breaks up a lot of passes in HS. The concern is at 5-9 will be tall enough to handle the tall 6-3, 6-5 WRs that seem to be dominant in Div 1 today.

He camped at A&M and LSU but LSU has not offered so far.

BGIF
09-16-2009, 02:35 AM
I read earlier that he was gonna visit and was really surprised. I took him off my recruiting list a looooong time ago

With Spencer and Boyd, as well as safety, Badger in the fold, and a half dozen other DBs still active with ND, Hurd seemed lost in the shuffle. B&G hasn't had him on their Master List for a while.

BGIF
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Toney Hurd, Jr. Notre Dame is apparently doing very well with the Houston area product. It would be great to get back into one of the top talent-producing cities in the country, starting with Hurd.

The Polish Irishman
10-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Anyone know if he will be at the game this weekend?

I bet one of the coaches go to his game on Friday if he is playing.

Hopefully the game will bring some recruits from 10 & 11

texas fighting irish
10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I really hope Hurd will be at the game this weekend also.

WabashFalcon
10-28-2009, 09:13 PM
This kid could be hosting Texas kids on their OVs for the next five years if we land him.

dkuhn12
10-29-2009, 11:26 AM
rumors swirling that Hurd is committing to Corwin Brown at his game on friday night when Brown comes to visit.

Big23Head
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Swirling from where? Any sources?

Bucko
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
A poster named "da coach" (who has generally been accurate in his sources) had hinted at a potential committment this weekend and recently came out and said it would be Hurd. Interestingly, he also suggests there is an upcoming transfer (but doesn't name names).

Swirling from where? Any sources?

Big23Head
10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks. I saw that over at domer, da coach actually confirmed and said he IS irish for sure. So we will see

The Polish Irishman
10-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Gladly take him, great foot speed. I think ND has been his only visit. Good offer list.

BCSorBust
10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but getting this kid from Texas when added together with our gets (hopefully more) from Florida is impressive. I know we usually raid California and some of the east coast states but I don't remember us being this big of a player in FL and TX - LOVE IT.

BCSorBust
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
That said - this kid isn't ours until I hear it from the horse's mouth. Here's hoping he joins the Irish family though.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks. I saw that over at domer, da coach actually confirmed and said he IS irish for sure. So we will see

I'm not sure how I feel about this commitment if it is true. The kid is a player undoubtedly, his offer list shows it, but we already have two CB commits and I am unsure how many our staff plan to take. Especially considering we are still in it with Riggs, Joyner, and Shaw.

Anyone know how many CBs the staff want to take?

BearGB
10-29-2009, 09:23 PM
I think that's a really good point, and I can definitely see where you are coming from. However, in this case, I am pretty excited because this is a kid from Texas, and that is a place where we would like to develop a foothold. I think it is important from that regard, and I think this kid can play - at least watching the film.

That being said, I am ecstatic about the possibility of Joyner. I think this kid has the chance to be something special. And I would love to keep establishing that St. Thomas Aquinas pipeline.

Irish.Ca
10-30-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm with you Bear, I'll cheer for anyone putting on the Blue & Gold but we may have bigger fish to fry. We already have some middle of the road players and are looking for some BIG fish to compliment them. What it really comes down to is what type of scheme our defense will use and take the best players we can who fit that scheme.

jason_h537
10-30-2009, 01:57 AM
This was asked in the 4HL. With Slaughter moving to Safety the team needs more CB. Joyner will be taken even if Hurd commits. Though space is limted

wyvrn
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I take every CB and DT that commits to me this year. I don't care what their ratings are. We are loaded at some other positions, and we need CB and DT help like no tomorrow.

JefMaj
10-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I think Riggs stock is on the fall rather than the rise. It's getting to be a matter of who pulls the trigger first and locks in a place. Hurd may make a great choice for himself over the weekend.

Brown
10-30-2009, 01:05 PM
ESPNU thinks Toney Hurd is tied with Tai-ler Jones for our best recruit. He's an ESPNU150 with an 81 grade. ESPN likes him better than everybody else in this class. Scout and Rivals thinks he's a 3 star, and one of the more mediocre talents relative to the rest of NDs commits.

IrishInFl
10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
That's good to see that ESPNU regards Hurd as a grea prospect, but I think that their service is not nearly as good as Rivals (with the exception of Rivals claiming that Lombard is only a 3 star prospect).

wpeifer
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Irish Sports Daily is now reporting his commitment.

Irishlew
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this commitment if it is true. The kid is a player undoubtedly, his offer list shows it, but we already have two CB commits and I am unsure how many our staff plan to take. Especially considering we are still in it with Riggs, Joyner, and Shaw.

Anyone know how many CBs the staff want to take?

we aren't in it with Riggs or Shaw.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
we aren't in it with Riggs or Shaw.

Until one of them crosses us off their list, we are in it. Plus, Bernard committing oopens the possibility of his teammates joining him, so Joyner and Riggs are still possibilities. Riley seems to love the Irish and has repeatedly said he and Shaw would love to play together, so I don't think Shaw is out yet either.

ESPN posted today that Hurd committed so I guess it is indeed official.

t3hjc
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Rivals has his commitment up.

Big23Head
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I really like this guy. I like his thoughts on ND, goals outside of football and the way he plays. I think we got a great player.

Side note I think Riggs is running out of options with his top four.

The Polish Irishman
10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Welcome Aboard. This kid has elite speed and agility. He was ND all the way.

WhoDeyIrish
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Welcome Aboard. This kid has elite speed and agility. He was ND all the way.

Like you I think this is a great get. I think Rivals and Scout has him very underrated because of his size. Just my take. Think he will be a hell of a player. Probably my second or third favorite get for us this season so far. Think he is a strong strong get for us.

jason_h537
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Welcome aboard Hurd. Despite his size, there is a feeling he can be a safety as well. Versitile pick up.

Dacian_Irish
10-30-2009, 04:20 PM
A lot of the guys that are shorter get over looked and they sometimes end up being studs in the long run! I love the commitment and lets see what the guy can do.

Competition can only breed success!!!

NDinL.A.
10-30-2009, 04:47 PM
He might be small height-wise, but the dude is yoked up. He looks like a college CB with his upper body.

ESPN has him highly ranked while Scout and Rivals are a little down on him (stars-wise). However, before we start pointing to how much ESPN loves him, and Scout is stupid, ESPN is the same company that has about 200 DE's better than Chris Martin (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get my point). As fans we tend to look at the scouting service that rates our own players individually huger than the others, at our own convenience. I'm just glad the coaching staff loves him...that's good enough for me...

Brown
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
ESPN had Golden Tate as a future star (top 15 overall) back in 2007 -- while the other services had Tate as an average 4 star talent (top 750)

jmurphy75
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
This kid is totally underrated and I can't wait to see him play. IMO he'll be an immediate impact player.

JefMaj
10-30-2009, 04:52 PM
7 spots left.... Hurd's now a Notre Dame man... welcome to the Notre Dame family. I graduated years ago and whether it's for a game, to go to the bookstore,walk my dogs around the lake.. I well up with pride, I feel home...and, I never played the game.

NDOM
10-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Awesome. Now lets start recruiting what we REALLY need. I would like to see 3 5 star defensive ends and 3 5 star defensive tackles. Thats what we really need.

WhoDeyIrish
10-30-2009, 05:44 PM
He might be small height-wise, but the dude is yoked up. He looks like a college CB with his upper body.

ESPN has him highly ranked while Scout and Rivals are a little down on him (stars-wise). However, before we start pointing to how much ESPN loves him, and Scout is stupid, ESPN is the same company that has about 200 DE's better than Chris Martin (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get my point). As fans we tend to look at the scouting service that rates our own players individually huger than the others, at our own convenience. I'm just glad the coaching staff loves him...that's good enough for me...

Yeah he is stout looking kid. Probably very strong hopefully he is a good open field tackler. Already heard he is a ball hawk. ESPN is really on about some players, and really off just like any else. Maybe they don't think Martin translates to college DE I don't know. That our they just hate us so much. Hurd probably drops 100 spots since he committed to us.. I think he is a beast. I like that we recruited some speed, and got a kid from Texas. Now we need safety help badly.

Riddickulous
10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
ESPN had Golden Tate as a future star (top 15 overall) back in 2007 -- while the other services had Tate as an average 4 star talent (top 750)

I couldn't believe that when I HURD it back in 2008. ESPN had Golden Tate ranked 11th overall, out of everybody, and the #2 WR in the 2007 class. I almost crapped myself.

WELCOME ABOARD, TONEY!

JefMaj
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
NDOM - well we don't have 2 5s on either side of the lines we are pursuing - so that would be a trick. Hendersen and Fergesun would give us a 5 on either side and I can live with that. Probably aren't 3 (line) 5s on both side of the ball that could get through ND admissions. For today - Hurd is the man!!!!!

dyrtdogg
10-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I follow Rivals and Scout, but I give more credence to a kid's offer list than I do to their evaluations. While he may be only a 3 star on those services, his offer list is very good. I haven't seen the kid play a second of football, but when Auburn, Cal, Oklahoma, Ok St, and Tennessee have all offered, it soothes any uneasiness I may have had about him. Nice get.

NDinNM
10-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I follow Rivals and Scout, but I give more credence to a kid's offer list than I do to their evaluations. While he may be only a 3 star on those services, his offer list is very good. I haven't seen the kid play a second of football, but when Auburn, Cal, Oklahoma, Ok St, and Tennessee have all offered, it soothes any uneasiness I may have had about him. Nice get.

I agree with you completely dyrtdogg I also look at the offer list. But my favorite thing about this recruit is that it shows we may be starting a pipeline in Texas... And that would be huge as far as recruiting is concerned.

WhoDeyIrish
10-30-2009, 10:37 PM
I agree with you completely dyrtdogg I also look at the offer list. But my favorite thing about this recruit is that it shows we may be starting a pipeline in Texas... And that would be huge as far as recruiting is concerned.

That would be nice if we could have a pipeline in Texas. It is really hard to rip players from Mack Brown, those kids bleed Texas football down there. Again I would love nothing more than to start taking recruits from Mack Brown. Really don't like him.

texas fighting irish
10-31-2009, 11:08 AM
It would be great to have some more recruits from Texas. Its about time we started the invasion on Mack Brown's recruits.

Mavericknyc1980
10-31-2009, 12:18 PM

Thats exactly what I am looking at as well. Creating a piple from the Star state is HUGE. Welcome to Notre Dameeeeeeeeee Tony.

bert2834
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the team!!!

GO IRISH!!!!!

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome Toney! Go Irish!

IrishAddiction
10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the ND family Mr.Hurd.

texas fighting irish
11-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Glad to see him commit to Notre Dame.

jason_h537
11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Says he believes Weis will be the coach but is getting calls from alot of schools now. I doubt he will stick if Weis is fired. Hopefully he does but he's gotta do whats in his best interest

IrishAddiction
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Dammit.

irishandy
11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
This will be the story of our off season....

The Polish Irishman
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
According to ISD:

Hurd is Solid no matter what happens to the staff. Will visit for Spring Practice.

HereComeTheIrish
11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Awesome news...

Big23Head
12-11-2009, 10:33 AM
He is waiting to see who the DB coach is now before saying 110%.

sportallyr
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
He is waiting to see who the DB coach is now before saying 110%.

Well then, let's hope that it is Corwin Brown. I still believe in Brown.

Big23Head
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Well hopefully Kelly's new staff can keep him but he had a very good visit to Texas A&M and Corwin Brown was fired so...its going to take some work.

OCIrish
12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Probably gone then.

GoVols16
12-15-2009, 05:43 PM
He's a great pickup for ND. Solid player all around.

IrishAddiction
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Hes irish until it comes outta his mouth that he isnt. A&M isnt crap and will never amount to crap. Mack Brown owns that state.

jason_h537
12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Rumor is his family wants him to stay in Texas.

GoVols16
12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Rumor is his family wants him to stay in Texas.

Thats what I heard. He wants to play for A&M. Not to be dim, but I see this guy an Aggie on NSD.

mbeckha
12-15-2009, 06:42 PM
He is the only db I like in this class

NDinL.A.
12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Not to pile on, but people on facebook say that on his facebook profile, he is wearing Aggies gear. And one of his friends says he is better off at A&M anyways, and he replies "no doubt".

I don't even have a facebook, and I don't like it when fans befriend recruits on facebook, but this info is usually helpful in seeing which way recruits are leaning. And this doesn't look good.

Oh, and for those of you who say you didn't want him anyways, please go through all of the 2010 recruits and say which ones you don't really want. Let's not be like those fans who say they 'don't really want recruit X anyways' (after he decommits). USC is doing that right now with one of their recruits who decommitted and followed Martin to CAL. Hurd wasn't my favorite DB recruit, but the staff really liked him and that's good enough for me. It'll suck if he leaves...

The Polish Irishman
12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Too bad, I hope we can get him. I think he will be the best defensive player in this class.

Big23Head
12-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah he was my favorite DB due to his style of play. But he said if Corwin was gone so was he, at least he wass honest and doing what is right for him. Good luck to him but I think a tough loss. DB prospects have dwindled greatly for us lately...

bornready85
12-17-2009, 11:35 PM
It's official. Hurd decommits.

Four-star cornerback Toney Hurd Jr. (Missouri City, Texas/Marshall) is no longer headed to South Bend, ESPN's Billy Tucker reports.

The ESPNU 150 talent will now consider Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Auburn and Cal.

Hurd also has offers from Florida State, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Baylor, Kansas, Tennessee, Arizona, Oklahoma and Oregon State amongst others.

IHateMarkMay
12-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Watch Cal get another one of our decommits. He's A&M's to lose though.

jason_h537
12-18-2009, 02:46 AM
A&M commit. Will announce at all star game

JefMaj
12-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Front row seat on a trainwreck?

mbeckha
12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Its been reported that Coach Kelly has not even tried to contact Hurd since his Hiring. I find that somewhat unbelieveable.

WabashFalcon
12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Awesome. Freaking... Awesome.

But, on the bright side, it was a CB. If Lombard would have been the one to decommit... I would have starting looking for a high, high ledge.

OlympiaIrishFan
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes, this is disheartening. It is all over the place that yesterday he decomitted. I believe it is Cal/Oregon/A & M/OK State.

I hope coach Kelley can pick it up and keep most of the guys. But, if we have a thin class, it will hurt in a year or two.

This is why we all need to support and praise the kids that want to be part of the Irish Resurection!!!!

Go Irish and Go Irish Recruits!

tko
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Good luck to Toney Hurd

JefMaj
12-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I've got kids of my own that have made dumber mistakes... Although if it's A&M... not much dumber.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-18-2009, 04:24 PM
The kid was honest about his status and he kept his word. If Corwin is out, so was he. I really wanted him because I was hoping we would begin to make in-roads in texas recruits but I guess we will have to wait another year. Best of the luck to the kid.

No need to be upset though because Boyd and Wood are great gets as well. Don't forget EJ Banks too, I heard he was developing quite well from last reports.

jason_h537
12-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Hurd could also play safety. We need safeties.

JefMaj
12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Let's see what Tai-ler Jones does against him in the All-American bowl...

jason_h537
12-18-2009, 07:32 PM
hopefully he will be like "homey you should come to Notre Dame with me"

Maddog77
12-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Per ISD, he is expected to announce his "choice" on Saturday, on where he will be attending school and it is largely expected to be Texas A&M. He said the reason he decommitted was largely due to the instability of the situation and not knowing who his coaches would be. He also said he and BK have played phone tag in the past couple of weeks.

After watching Texas A&M get beat up by a mediocre SEC team, I wish him the best if that's the case.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I think this kid is a solid prospect but I won't lose any sleep over him. I wasn't completely sold on him anyways but I wish the kid the best.

Guys I wish the staff would take a run at if they are academially eligible are: Louis Young, Tyler Stephenson, Ricky Seale, and Troy Hill. Those last two are Cali kids who are known out here, but not nationally, and they are both playmakers.

Maddog77
01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Today at Under Armour game he gave his verbal to Texas A&M.

SoJerseyIrish
01-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Today at Under Armour game he gave his verbal to Texas A&M.

$50 says Mike Sherman won't make it 4 more years at A&M......how is that for stability..LOL.

Just opinion but I bet BK didn't want this kid.......

Kak7304
11-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Losing out on this kid and the transfer of Spencer Boyd are really hurting us for next year.