PDA

View Full Version : '10 IL DT Bruce Gaston (Purdue Commit)

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
'10 DT Bruce Gaston (IL)
St. Rita H.S, Chicago, IL

Ht: 6-3
Wt: 304
Forty: 5.23
Vertical: 30
Shuttle: 5.14

Ranking
Rivals: :s::s::s:, #42 DT, Rating 5.7
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, #37 DT
ESPN: :s::s::s:, #73 DT, Grade 76

Offers:
Boston College OV 1/22/10)
Michigan State (OV 1/15/10)
Notre Dame
Purdue (OV 12/4/09)
Wisconsin (12/11/09)

Arizona (OV 1/8/10 ??)
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Minnesota
Virginia

ND Recruiter: Martin (Ianello)

Decision: 1/26/10 Purdue

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Camped at ND yesterday in hopes of an offer, and he received it. Coaches were very impressed. Said in the past that he will take all 5 OV's, so who knows when he'll actually commit, but this was an offer he really wanted. ND is easily his best offer to date, and he had said previously an ND offer would put them right at or near the the top spot...

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
DT is definatley a need in this class.

The Polish Irishman
07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Nice. I guess no waiting on Nix with 2 news offers out today. I think this guy would be a great get.

irishmarine
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
hes big enough and you know he is going to just get bigger

WabashFalcon
07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
With all of the schollies we have this year, I wouldn't mind taking in 3 to 4 DL... especially with the transition back to the 4-3 front.

AlbuquerqueIrishFan
07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Transition back to the 4-3??? When did this happen?

GO IRISH!!!
07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Transition back to the 4-3??? When did this happen?

When Omar said he was coming back...

jason_h537
07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Cant have enough bodies on the D-line. Especially considering how much we have struggled recruiting D-lineman iin the past. Plus competition brings out the best in players

Junkhead
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
When Omar said he was coming back...

Not you too....lol Anyway, we do need more DL, and with Tenuta taking over, it will be a 4-3 to whoever asked.

GO IRISH!!!
07-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Not you too....lol Anyway, we do need more DL, and with Tenuta taking over, it will be a 4-3 to whoever asked.

Sorry dude. Just killing time at work and I was extremely bored. Don't know what came over me.

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Big T said were are going to still use the 3-4, but we're gonna go back to a 4-3 base.

BGIF
07-11-2009, 03:25 AM
7/10 Pete Sampson, IrishIllustrated.com

Notre Dame could be less than 24 hours from its next commitment on defense. Another pledge or two or three could be coming by month’s end. Check out this week’s update to the Master List on defense, where Notre Dame looks to continue its recruiting roll with pledges from Kendall Moore, Spencer Boyd and Bruce Gaston. The Irish are in strong shape with all three.

tannerpw3
07-11-2009, 08:27 AM
That's fascinating. I hadn't heard that before.

WabashFalcon
07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
That's fascinating. I hadn't heard that before.

I could say the exact same thing to you.... tanner.

NDinL.A.
07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
He will visit on the 24th for a one day visit, then have a top 5 by the end of the month, according to his pops...

IrishAddiction
07-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I got that feeling, the kid seems to be irish. Just imo.

jason_h537
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
read that they will only take one, so whoever commits first between him and Allen will be accepted. The other spot they willl keep open for Smith or Nix

acerider8
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Getting the kid on campus is a huge win. I'm obviously biased, but I don't know how anyone checks out the Notre Dame campus and turns them down. Then again, being from Georgia, the kid has basically marinated in UGA territory his whole life...

Still, I like our chances with the on-campus visit.

What's the latest on Nix? Is he visiting...soft verbal to UM?

IrishAddiction
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Getting the kid on campus is a huge win. I'm obviously biased, but I don't know how anyone checks out the Notre Dame campus and turns them down. Then again, being from Georgia, the kid has basically marinated in UGA territory his whole life...

Still, I like our chances with the on-campus visit.

What's the latest on Nix? Is he visiting...soft verbal to UM?

This kid is from St.Rita in Chicago, Ill. Dont think he has been too marinated with Mark Richt's bulldogs.

acerider8
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
My apologies, I guess I'm finding it hard to keep up with all these different recruits! I thought I read he was from Georgia

BGIF
07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
My apologies, I guess I'm finding it hard to keep up with all these different recruits! I thought I read he was from Georgia

Easy to do as there are two DTs from jawja ND was/is chasing. Denzel McCoy from Duluth GA verballed early to GT. Garrison Smith, Rivals #2 DT is from the Atlanta area, being chased by the Big Dawgs, and Richtly marinated.

WabashFalcon
07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Jawja = lol.

tannerpw3
07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
my roommate typed it = LOL

WabashFalcon
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
my roommate typed it = LOL

Reaches under bed. Pulls out troll smashing club.

Bring it.

NDinL.A.
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
He'll be at ND on Friday with his parents. Before that though, he'll be visiting Iowa on Thursday. He keeps saying that he will not commit until after he takes all 5 of his OV's, so this recruitment will take a while to play out, as he has to pair his offer list down first, unless something drastically changes. People thought that once we offered Gaston and Beau Allen they'd surely jump at it and commit on the spot, especially Allen. Ummmm, wrong. Both plan on taking their time, and why not? There's no pressure on them to commit until ND throws more offers out there, and those offers would obviously be to practically plan 'C' guys...

BCSorBust
07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
It sounds like getting so many of these guys is going to be dependent on how the season starts. I say is we make it to USC undefeated or with 1 loss and at least make it really competitive against the spoiled children of California we'll have a couple of commits soon thereafter.

I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing but I'm excited either way.

BGIF
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
It sounds like getting so many of these guys is going to be dependent on how the season starts. I say is we make it to USC undefeated or with 1 loss and at least make it really competitive against the spoiled children of California we'll have a couple of commits soon thereafter.

IF they're still available. ND needs those concerned about success and coaching stability to wait for the season to play out before making a decision.

jason_h537
07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
IF they're still available. ND needs those concerned about success and coaching stability to wait for the season to play out before making a decision.

On the plus side it appears that most of the elite guys we are still going after will drag it out
Justin McCay
Kyle Prater
Cody Riggs
Brandon Linder
Sean Parker
Tony Jefferson
Dietrich Riley

BCSorBust
07-22-2009, 08:53 AM
That's what I was saying Jason. Stone looks like he is going to wait now even though Cincy is a favorite, and Barr doesn't seem anywhere near a commit. There are plenty of guys waiting barring a big change (crossing my fingers they don't start committing) but our current guys need to have some success on the field.

Just another reason to piss off my fiance by over-obsessing over ND football.

BCSorBust
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM

I agree though there is a chance that they'll all be gone by that time but I'm banking on the fact that they have enough interest to see how the season starts. If we start winning it may start erasing some doubts. A lot to bank on but I'm a glass is half full guy.

WabashFalcon
07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
YouTube - Beauty and The Beast - Gaston (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhG9hKiplfQ)

Similarities? I would say so... except for the whole one's white and one's black thing...

jason_h537
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Gaston will likely be rated a high 3 star or low 4 star. Said that high 3 is more likely just because he is so new to most of the Rivals evaluators, but he definitiley has 4 potential

The Polish Irishman
07-24-2009, 01:10 PM
On Campus today...was at Iowa yesterday

NDinL.A.
07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
With his offer list, and with the ND depth chart at his position, how do yo NOT go to ND??? And I'm not one of the fans that says anybody is an idiot not to choose ND (different strokes for different folks; so many different factors for everyone), but Gaston, c'mon brother, this is a no brainer.

His dad is on campus with him, and that is always better for ND when family makes the trip. He insists that he'll take his 5 OV's, but I'd be shocked if ND wasn't his leader after today...

WabashFalcon
07-25-2009, 03:18 AM
This is the free blurb from Rivals on Gaston's unofficial. Now... read the wording and see how it rubs off on you... I REALLY did not like the wording at the end of it...

"Notre Dame was a bit of a known quantity for Bruce Gaston Jr. before he took an unofficial visit Friday. So when he toured campus with a couple Irish assistants he got about what he expected, which is a good thing. The defensive tackle from Chicago left campus impressed with everything he saw but hesitated to reveal where the Irish stand."

BGIF
07-25-2009, 03:28 AM
This is the free blurb from Rivals on Gaston's unofficial. Now... read the wording and see how it rubs off on you... I REALLY did not like the wording at the end of it...

"Notre Dame was a bit of a known quantity for Bruce Gaston Jr. before he took an unofficial visit Friday. So when he toured campus with a couple Irish assistants he got about what he expected, which is a good thing. The defensive tackle from Chicago left campus impressed with everything he saw but hesitated to reveal where the Irish stand."

I don't read anything into it other than he wasn't going to tip his hand and the reporter was frustrated in not getting anything.

Gaston could have committed to Weis and wants to wait to get back to his school and make an annoucement so time in the future.

I'll take that little blurb as more positive than the Kohler, they've moved up to #2 comment.

BGIF
07-25-2009, 06:09 AM

"... The defensive tackle from Chicago left campus impressed with everything he saw but hesitated to reveal where the Irish stand."

On 7/21 Gaston told Kurelic he would take all 5 Officials and would announce after his senior season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...est_Recruiting

Kurelic 7/21

Defensive lineman Bruce Gaston (Chicago, Ill./St. Rita) has seen his list of scholarship offers rise to over a dozen in the past month. Notre Dame and Virginia are the two most recent schools to offer Gaston. The 6-foot-3, 304-pounder also has offers from Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, Arizona, Wyoming and several MAC schools.
"I'm making preparations to visit Iowa and Notre Dame this weekend," Gaston said. "Iowa is Thursday and Notre Dame is Friday.
"I'll talk to the Notre Dame coaches and look at the school. I plan to get a tour. Iowa should be about the same. As far as I know, Charlie Weis and Kirk Ferentz will be there."
Gaston said he has no intention of committing to either school this weekend.
"I plan to make a top five in August," Gaston said. "I plan to take all five official visits. I don't plan to commit until after my senior season."

texas fighting irish
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Who else does he plan on taking visits to. How many times has gaston been to visit Notre Dame

dyrtdogg
08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
He supposedly cut down to six today. Any word on what his list is?

fitz_bu47
08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
ND, Arizona, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, and Michigan St....Final 6

dyrtdogg
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
ND, Arizona, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, and Michigan St....Final 6

Thanks for the quick reply.

NDinL.A.
08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
He supposedly cut down to six today. Any word on what his list is?

Iowa, AZ, Purdue, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Michigan State. He told ISD that he will make one more cut in the next week or so, and then take all 5 OV's before making a decision. ND pretty much is assured not to be the one school cut. Said he likes that ND started recruiting him early, even though they offered him late. Said ND stood out from all his other visits to schools because of the family atmosphere and the ability to focus on football and school (chapel, single sex dorms separated from each other), and he really liked that...

jiggafini19
08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
ND, Iowa and MSU should be the heavy hitters.

Brown
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
We're looking VERY good with this kid.

Irishlew
08-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Mr. Gaston is making his way across the Indiana border tonight to play my alma mater Portage. I think i might make it to the game tonight. If i do, I'll give you the scouting report.

WabashFalcon
08-30-2009, 03:28 AM
"Dearrrrrrr Portage High School... Fight on for our Fame".

BGIF
09-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Per Kurelic 9/23

Short List of 5 - Iowa, Purdue, Notre Dame, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

Gaston visited Iowa and Notre Dame over the summer and says he will likely be back in South Bend on Oct. 3 for the Notre Dame-Washington game.

"I'm going to start going to some games," Gaston said. "And pretty soon I'll start scheduling official visits."

Gaston maintains he does not have a leader among his five finalists.

"I'll make official visits to all five, I believe," Gaston said.

The 6-foot-3, 304-pounder made 45 tackles, including five sacks during his junior season. St. Rita is 4-0 this season and Gaston has approximately 30 tackles and three sacks.

NDinL.A.
09-23-2009, 12:49 PM
It's an unofficial visit...

The Polish Irishman
09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Is this weekend his 6th trip to South Bend?

Irishlew
10-01-2009, 02:36 AM
"Dearrrrrrr Portage High School... Fight on for our Fame".

Go, Portage High School
Fight on for our fame.
Pass the ball you players
For a touchdown wins the game!
Rah! Rah! Rah!

Go, Portage High School
Fight on for our fame!
We're here to do it
Come on, let's do it!!
Ever on to VICTORY!!!

Pass 'em high, pass 'em low
Come on team, LET'S GO!!!
Pass 'em high, pass 'em low
Come on team, LET'S GO!!!

Go, Portage High School
Fight on for our fame.
Keep her colors flying
For a touchdown wins this game!
Rah! Rah! Rah!

Go, Portage High School
Fight on for our fame!
We're here to do it!
Come on, let's do it!!
Ever on to VICTORY!!!

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5a6IDAXoHA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5a6IDAXoHA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

jason_h537
10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Said he enjoyed his visit and was really impressed with our D. Plans to visit Iowa this weekend and make a committment for his birthday in November. Notre Dame is the favorite

Junkhead
10-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Said he enjoyed his visit and was really impressed with our D.

It was impressive when pinned on the 1. Otherwise, and on 3rd down, no so much. He can help out, come on down...

BGIF
10-05-2009, 01:18 PM
ND coaches made a visit to his HS game Friday night then he reciprocated and came to ND Saturday.

OCIrish
10-10-2009, 08:34 AM
His game was on Comcast Sports last night against Providence Catholic. He didn't make many plays, but was in the backfield alot, just missing the ball carrier on many plays. He moves fairly well for his size, but what I thought was impressive was he would still try to run plays down from the back. If you throw in the fact that he's still learning how to play the game, I very well think he could be a big time college player.

BGIF
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Gaston/Allen – First one to commit wins! Your guess is as good as mine.

The Polish Irishman
10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Down to 2 schools. ND and could not read the rest

Brown
10-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Not every recruit has to be a gamebreaker. Some guys who simply don't kill you at various positions is good enough -- especially right now with the lack of depth at DT/NT. We need Gaston, and we need him badly.

jason_h537
10-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Give a guy 2-3 years to develop and he could end up being a stud. Not every guy has to be a 5 star, but you need depth to allow the 3 stars to learn

WabashFalcon
10-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Give a guy 2-3 years to develop and he could end up being a stud. Not every guy has to be a 5 star, but you need depth to allow the 3 stars to learn

I totally agree.

Dacian_Irish
10-30-2009, 02:18 AM
What two schools is he down too?

BGIF
10-30-2009, 03:23 AM
What two schools is he down too?

ND and could not read the rest

Per Jeff Baumhower IrishEyes:
Defensive tackle Bruce Gaston from St. Rita High School (Chicago, Ill.) is a primary recruiting target for Notre Dame and Gaston has the Irish as one of his final two schools.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

WhoDeyIrish
10-30-2009, 03:25 AM
If he doesn't choose Notre Dame I'll be pretty surprised. Good to add a little more help on the defensive line. We need to recruit some speed at outside linebacker and safety badly.

Irish.Ca
10-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Gaston and Nix on the same day so that Irish Nation can sigh collectively all at the same time.

Big23Head
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Notre Dame and Purdue I believe.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I really want Nix but I like this kid too so I hope they both join us. He's from the same school as Darius Fleming so I hope that this means that the kid is just as talented as his former teammate.

Big23Head
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Announcing on his birthday, Nov. 29

WabashFalcon
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Meaning... Beau Allen has to announce by Novermber 28th.

NDinL.A.
10-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Announcing on his birthday, Nov. 29

According to this rivals thread, Gaston will be announcing Nov 4th:

IrishIllustrated.com - Message Boards (http://notredame.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=127522145&mid=127522145&sid=961&style=2)

No idea if that's true, but I can't see him picking Purdon't over ND. No way. We'll see though...

JefMaj
10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
The golden ring is out there - who grabs it Gaston or Allen?

dshans
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM

With all due respect (and it's a large "Now Due") to Mr. Tate, the ring within their grasp is brass, not golden. The gold leaf is applied the day one or the other, or both, steps on campus as a student. There IS a gold ring available upon graduation.

JefMaj
10-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I have one (ND gold ring). The gold ring was a stand in for a gold helmet...ND is no carnival carousel... the supply room is runing out of them (gold whatevers) for 2010.

NoJusticeNoPeace
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
#19 right here. It's a guarantee pretty much.

WabashFalcon
10-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Neighter. Sonic the Hedgehog will grab the golden ring.

Riddickulous
10-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Neighter. Sonic the Hedgehog will grad the golden ring.

LOL

Irish.Ca
10-31-2009, 02:30 AM
I thought the little hobbit destroyed the ring at the end of the movie before Liv Tyler sailed away to never never land. She still managed to look good with those pointy ears.

Big23Head
12-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Waiting to hear from Kelly this week and then plan an official visit to ND to meet in person.

Big23Head
12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Also visited Wisconsin and rated it a 10 out of 10. Said he really was impressed and enjoyed it. Looks like Wisconsin is pressing for him and Beau Allen.

NDinL.A.
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Will be visiting this weekend, per ISD. His dad said they will be there are 12:00 per Kelly's instructions, and they'll meet with Kelly at 2.

Kelly said he would be hosting recruits this weekend, but it was assumed it would be local kids that weren't big-time recruits, something all colleges do to keep the local h.s. coaches happy. But apparently Kelly has been working the phones (which is a shock, because all of the sky-is-falling people who obviously know what Kelly does every second of the day made us believe that Kelly is ignoring recruiting), and there are some verbals (Leuders, Lombard) and important recruits (Cooper might make it as well, and expect more names to trickle in) that will be in this weekend....

JefMaj
12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
These kids coming in this weekend... wonder if they will all be at UCLA game and see Kelly talk to the crowd?

WabashFalcon
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
These kids coming in this weekend... wonder if they will all be at UCLA game and see Kelly talk to the crowd?

The timing is appropriate. It'd be a nice way to show the ND fanbase. I like it. Kelly's doing a lot of under-the-floor stuff that will pay dividens.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I am torn on this kid. Who would you want more, Gaston or Allen? I am leaning towards Allen but I would gladly take Gaston. We could definitely use another DT commit.

OCIrish
12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Why wouldn't you take both? We only landed Stockton last year, so a couple of more wouldn't hurt at all.

JefMaj
12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I'd take them both...

irish4ever
12-19-2009, 09:00 AM
These kids coming in this weekend... wonder if they will all be at UCLA game and see Kelly talk to the crowd? But he's only a 3*, why is ND recruiting him???

Just kidding of course!

NDOM
12-19-2009, 09:17 AM
But he's only a 3*, why is ND recruiting him???

Just kidding of course!

I know yur kiddin and all but Kelly could take 2 and 3 star talent and win more than Weis could with 4 and 5 star talent. :)

irish4ever
12-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I know yur kiddin and all but Kelly could take 2 and 3 star talent and win more than Weis could with 4 and 5 star talent. :)

Time will tell of course, but based on BK's track record you are exactly correct! I was being sarcastic of course ... some Irish fans think that recruiting a 3* player is a sign that ND has lowered their recruiting standards and that the player is a "bust"! It's nescient thought to expect every recruit ND goes after has to be a 4 or 5* player. There has been plenty of good players that went into CFB as 2* and 3* recruits that did exceptionally well!

Maddog77
12-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Per ISD on his visit with BK and the other recruits he noticed he was the only Non-committed person in attendance. He said he was very impressed with Kelly, considering he honestly didn't know much about him because he was at Cinci. He also said Darius Fleming really likes him and that he thinks ND will compete for a NC next year. Overall, a very good visit.

Seems promising from ND's perspective.

bert2834
12-19-2009, 09:13 PM
From all that, I think we land this kid!

Rocket's Rocket Fan
12-20-2009, 02:06 AM
From all that, I think we land this kid!

I really hope so we need DT's I will take whatever we can get there.

Praytorian
12-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Whatever we can get would be a 1 or 2 star. 3 stars isnt bad and it will only add depth, good pick up if we land him. We need that to show the 5 stars that we can utilize them correctly.

Big23Head
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Visiting MSU the 15th

DT JIbreel Black will be visiting MSU then as well

irish4ever
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Visiting MSU the 15th

Hopefully, it's just a back-up plan for him and that he's a heavy lean toward ND in his heart!

BGIF
01-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Hopefully, it's just a back-up plan for him and that he's a heavy lean toward ND in his heart!

According to Rivals:

<TABLE id=ysr-college-choice-list><THEAD><TR><TH id=school scope=col>School</TH><TH id=interest scope=col>Interest</TH><TH id=offer scope=col>Offer</TH><TH id=visit scope=col>Visit</TH><TH id=recruited scope=col></TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY id=ysr-colleges><TR"><TR><TH scope=col>Boston College</TH><TD>High</TD><TD class=offered>Offered</TD><TD>None</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="even "><TH scope=col>Michigan State</TH><TD>High</TD><TD class=offered>Offered</TD><TD>01/15/2010</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR"><TR><TH scope=col>Purdue</TH><TD>High</TD><TD class=offered>Offered</TD><TD>12/4/2009</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class="even "><TH scope=col>Wisconsin</TH><TD>High</TD><TD class=offered>Offered</TD><TD>12/11/2009</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR"><TR><TH scope=col>Arizona</TH><TD>Medium</TD><TD class=offered>Offered</TD><TD>None</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=even><TH scope=col>Notre Dame</TH><TD>Medium</TD><TD class=offered>Offered</TD><TD>None</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-07-2010, 04:30 PM
He's high on BC without visiting there? None of those schools scare me, MSU a little, but we just need to get this kid on campus to see the dome!

WabashFalcon
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
He's high on BC without visiting there? None of those schools scare me, MSU a little, but we just need to get this kid on campus to see the dome!

BC's gotten a bit of a rep with being able to churn out quality DT prospects. Raji and his running mate were both drated last year. Maybe he's looking at the chance to earn some cashmoney... ya know?

pani_nasz
01-08-2010, 10:18 AM
One would think that St. Rita grad Darius Fleming would be exerting some influence here.

Big23Head
01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I would think he is, Darius's dad brought him up for the last visit he made.

Scout also shows all schools as being even with MEDIUM interest FWIW.

Maddog77
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
ISD is pretty big on this guy going our way, but these are 18 year old kids we're talking about.

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Visiting BC this weekend. Announcing next Tuesday, 26th.

NDinL.A.
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Tribune article mentioning Gaston doesn't even mention ND as being a possibility. According to the recruiting guys at the various ND sites, ND isn't even a player here, and it might be more of ND cooling on him vs the other way around. Might not be a "RKG" I guess...

49er-Irish
01-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Tribune article mentioning Gaston doesn't even mention ND as being a possibility. According to the recruiting guys at the various ND sites, ND isn't even a player here, and it might be more of ND cooling on him vs the other way around. Might not be a "RKG" I guess...

It's hard to imagine any DT with Gaston's size and the grades to get into ND not being a RKG.

I haven't heard of any other DTs on ND's radar so I hope Kelly has a surprise up his sleeve because we need some depth on the D-line.

BGIF
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Is this another DL that ends up at BC and plagues ND?

BGIF
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Scout.com: Gaston Will Decide After BC Visit (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=939836&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2f2% 2f939836.html)

1/21Jeff Baumhower IrishEyes

Bruce Gaston from St. Rita High School (Chicago, Ill.) has five schools that he will decide between, but before he does he has one official visit remaining. Notre Dame had been in solid position with the defensive tackle, but it appears the Irish have come back to the pack.

Bruce Gaston will trip to BC this weekend and the annouce on Tuesday

BGIF
01-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Profile Updated

Gaston dropped in both Rivals and Scout DT Rankings.

He dropped from #29 on Scout to #37 and dropped from #38 on Rivals to #42.

Of his 5 favorites BC, MSU, ND, PU, and WIS, ND is the only one that did not get an offical visit. He's been to ND a couple of times and has met Kelly in an in-home visit.

irishandy
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Tonight is not our night to read about recruits. I am starting to think if ND has the RKC.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Low blow IrishAndy. Look at it this way. We got incredibly excited every time Weis pulled in a monster class and then we would win six games. And this class will land in the top 20 if not the top 15, so it's not like we are depleting ourselves of talent. Now if we don't win at least 8 games with our team, then we can start to bitch. I am saying 8 because an 8-win season (for reasons I can't explain) sounds so much better than 7.

tko
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Tonight is not our night to read about recruits. I am starting to think if ND has the RKC.

i have to say uncalled for. Kelly has proven he is a winner. He'll take the kids he has and get everyone on the same page and win football games. I believe he is the RKC and he knows RKG's. judge in the fall.

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I am ok with us cooling on Gaston to be honest. Yeah he is a good player and would be a great addition. But switching to the 3-4 we now have Nix, Stockton, Newman, I. Williams, H. Williams, Cwynar all possibly going for NT...that is a lot of guys

Saying this we need to beat door down to get a couple other top end guys.

NDinL.A.
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM

That's classic. Dude's been on the job like 5 weeks and you're already turning him LOL. Step away from the ledge Andy.

Change is a process...it's not an instant. You don't put hire a guy to change a moribound program and expect things to change in an instant. We haven't one word about this new staff liking Gaston. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But from reading the tea leaves, Gaston might not be good enough for ND in the new staff's eyes. Judging from CW's era, defensive line wasn't exactly an area of strength, and the new staff has kead a defense that was 3rd in the nation in sacks last year (with 2 and 3 star talent), so maybe they know a bit more than you and I. Kelly is our coach...just gotta trust that he knows what he's doing. Past results suggest he does know what he's doing...

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Another quick note FWIW, by Lemming:

Lemming says the Irish are “right in the middle of it” for Chicago defensive tackle Bruce Gaston, along with Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin and Boston College. Gaston will visit BC this weekend.

Rivals has also updated his page to show us even with BC, MSU, Purdue and Wisconsin

BGIF
01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
<ABBR class=published title=2010-01-22T15:39:16-06:00>http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/top-st-rita-prospect-to-pick-college-tuesday.html (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/top-st-rita-prospect-to-pick-college-tuesday.html)</ABBR>

<ABBR class=published title=2010-01-22T15:39:16-06:00>1/22 </ABBR>By Mike Helfgot

Bruce Gaston of St. Rita, one of the top uncommitted defensive tackles in the nation, plans to announce his college decision Tuesday, according to coach Todd Kuska. Gaston, a 6-2, 290senior, is taking his fourth -- and apparently final -- official visit this weekend at Boston College. He also has taken official visits to Michigan State, Purdue and Wisconsin. Gaston told Edgytim.com that all four schools plus Notre Dame are in the running. Kuska said Penn State has made a late charge in the last week. "They want him bad," Kuska said. "They weren't really involved, but they've come on strong. We'll see where he's at after his visit this weekend."

Rizzophil
01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Any guesses on where he's going?

I don't believe he'll be attending ND...

WabashFalcon
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Baasssssssstaaaaannnnnnnnnnn is, in my eyes, the leader right now.

NDinL.A.
01-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Any guesses on where he's going?

I don't believe he'll be attending ND...

Yeah, he's not going to ND. Someone soured on someone, not sure if it was ND on Gaston or the other way around. But the switch to a 3-4 defense, plus the commitment of Nix and the depth chart the way it is, it looks like the new staff cooled on him, according to Steve Wiltfong.

It's funny how ND fans all assumed that once Beau Allen and Gaston were offered that one of them would commit on the spot, and that wasn't even close to being the case for either. Crazy how things work...

SoJerseyIrish
01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
^^^^^^
We all love ND so much that we don't understand why a recruit doesn't.....LOL

jiggafini19
01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
According to today's Chicago Sun Times, Penn State is jumping into the mix for a late run at Gaston.

There was no mention of ND in the article, FWIW.

BGIF
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
The late charge by PSU was reported by Mike Helfgot ChicagoBreakingSports.com a couple of day ago.

jason_h537
01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
In a 3-4 defense we are pretty loaded at NT. Hopefully he finds the best situation for him

Irish4Life09
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
just got a message on twitter from Blue and Gold that Gaston is making his decision tonight at 7pm est

Flanigan44
01-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Committed to Purdue per Lemming twitter.

tko
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
good luck Bruce and don't take it personal when we slap u around for the next 4 yrs.

irish4ever
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM

WTF ... PU over ND. What sort of crap is he smoking?!?

BGIF
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
WTF ... PU over ND. What sort of crap is he smoking?!?

Did he drop ND for PU or the other way around? Read the prior posts.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/2010-recruiting-profiles/44482-10-il-dt-bruce-gaston-official-offer.html#post354223

IrishInFl
01-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Maybe he wants to be an engineer?

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-26-2010, 06:56 PM

I would be shocked if this was true.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Any news?

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
His announcement was scheduled for 6pm Central if I'm correct.

Junkhead
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Purdue confirmed via Scout. Scout.com: Gaston Picks Purdue (http://michiganstate.scout.com/2/941275.html)

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow. I'm speechless. Never thought he would pick Purdue.

NDinL.A.
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Lemming is such a tool sometimes. Kid is going to finally announce his college choice, something that is really special for the kids, and he breaks the story via twitter 8 hrs before he gets to announce. He does this type of stuff A LOT. I mean, I respect the fact that he works hard and he's found some guys before anybody else has (Michael Oher), but he also does some really bush-league things too...

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
You're right. He should just let the kid make the announcement. He can comment on it after.

I Dont Miss Charlie
01-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Lemming is such a tool sometimes. Kid is going to finally announce his college choice, something that is really special for the kids, and he breaks the story via twitter 8 hrs before he gets to announce. He does this type of stuff A LOT. I mean, I respect the fact that he works hard and he's found some guys before anybody else has (Michael Oher), but he also does some really bush-league things too...

I agree.

He did this with Desean Jackson several years back from what I can remember. Jackson switched from USC to Cal due to it.

vernfootball1
01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
St. Rita defensive end Bruce Gaston will play for Purdue - ESPN Chicago (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/teams/preps/news/story?id=4861319)

Lol! thinks they have a shot at the national championship, whatever best of luck to you!

Junkhead
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM

I would be ok with it, if it was in NDs favor!

TerryTate
01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
My abhorrence for all things Purdue may be clouding my understanding of this decision, but I can't think of a major advantage either academically or athletically that Purdue has over Notre Dame. Best of luck to Bruce, but I'm guessing he'll have some regrets in the coming seasons.

vernfootball1
01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
My abhorrence for all things Purdue may be clouding my understanding of this decision, but I can't think of a major advantage either academically or athletically that Purdue has over Notre Dame. Best of luck to Bruce, but I'm guessing he'll have some regrets in the coming seasons.

Exactly I was trying to think of ONE advantage Purdue has over Notre Dame, I'm not being a homer or anything, but seriously what advantage does it have. The only one I could think of is he will play there. I just can't think of one reason, maybe he fit in there betterand maybe he felt more comfortable, and thought he would play, but it just seems weird to me, well hopefully he succeeds there, and best of luck to him!

NDinL.A.
01-26-2010, 10:58 PM

Guys, HE DIDN'T CHOOSE PURDUE OVER ND! Just read the thread. ND stopped recruiting him...

vernfootball1
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Guys, HE DIDN'T CHOOSE PURDUE OVER ND! Just read the thread. ND stopped recruiting him...

O yea I forgot reading on Isd ND cooled on him, thanks for reminder.

BGIF
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM

This kid took a serious look at ND. He could have committed to Weis but I believe he genuinely was doing his due diligence. Sadly for him he waited too long, Weis was fired, Nix flipped with no coach on the payroll, and Kelly brought in the 3-4. The landscape changed quickly.

A couple of plays go the other way, like the UM calls, the missed FGs against Navy, etc ND wins 10 games and Weis keeps his job and Gaston and Nix become the future anchors in a 4-3 defense. More substantial than the Butterfly Effect but same end result for Gaston.

WabashFalcon
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Purdue? Really? Fu*king Purdue? After all that?

Irish52
01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
He never did get over not being allowed to attend the team banquet....another of Weis ego mistakes.

BGIF
01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
He never did get over not being allowed to attend the team banquet....another of Weis ego mistakes.

???

Weis was fired before the banquet. Weis didn't have a say in who got to attend.

NDPhilly
09-11-2012, 05:34 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/84401/2083921-sp_1411_clip05.jpg

In Hindsight we should have taken this guy. He was a beast Saturday.

Sherm Sticky
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
FML

yankeeND
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Yup that kid is a monster! Still we got the W so not all is lost!

Irishnuke
09-11-2012, 07:08 PM
The original Tommy Schutt?

NDPhilly
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Wasn't a top 100 recruit like Schutt.

The Polish Irishman
09-11-2012, 07:50 PM
He probably would see very few snaps at ND. He is not better than Nix, Tuitt, or even Day.

BleedBlueGold
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
He probably would see very few snaps at ND. He is not better than Nix, Tuitt, or even Day.

Yea, and the recruits who commit elsewhere besides OSU didn't have committable offers...

While you're probably right, DEPTH cannot be understated. ND has never had the luxury of having multiple high caliber defensive linemen, until recently. I, for one, would love for this kid to be compeating for the Irish instead of against them. Like Tommy, Bruce is one that got away imo.