PDA

View Full Version : '10 UT S Chris Badger (BYU Transfer)

Pages : [1] 2

The Polish Irishman
06-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Defensive Back
Provo, UT; Timpview HS

Height: 6-1
Weight: 192
Forty: 4.65
Vertical: 26
Shuttle: 4.78

Ratings and Rankings
Rivals: :s::s::s:; Safety (26)
Scout: :s::s::s:; Safety (26)

Statistics
Sophomore: 51 Tackles, 2 Fumble Recoveries

Schools of Interest
Notre Dame (Verbal; 6/29; Randy Hart)
Oregon
Stanford

The Polish Irishman
06-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Per Rivals twitter: Changed his Verbal to ND from Stanford.

Hard hitting safety we needed.

NDsuperfan09
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Good pick-up at a position of need. Davon Carrington is he close to pulling the trigger for us as well?

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Thats great! Welcome Chris! Go Irish!

IrishInFl
06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Pretty impressive film. Welcome Chris! Go Irish!

YouTube - Chris Badger 2010 Safety Highlights 2008 (Click HD in Bottom Right) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT2-SoRRHAA)

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Good pick-up at a position of need. Davon Carrington is he close to pulling the trigger for us as well?

Carrington verbaled to Stanford.
This was not a commit i saw coming at all. Welcome to Notre Dame Badger

03euroSVT
06-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Glad to have you on board Chris. WE ARE ND!!!

notredomer23
06-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Carrington verbaled to Stanford.
This was not a commit i saw coming at all. Welcome to Notre Dame Badger

this is technically true, but that verbal is softer than a pillow. He verballed just in case they didnt have a spot for him. I read he still intends to visit ND

NDinL.A.
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
WTF? Stepped out to get some groceries and I come home to this?!!!

YEAHHHHHHH BOOOYYYYYYYY!

Number 9! Nice because the kid is a hitter, and is already being compared to Zibby (prob b/c they're both of fair skin lol; but let's hope he can cover the deep ball better), AND his pops and brother (I think, gotta check on that) graduated from Stanford.

Another shining example of the power of a ND visit. Get 'em on that beautiful campus, and anything can happen. Welcome aboard Chris!!!!

Polish Leppy 22
06-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I love his film. Similarities to Zibby are spot on

Stalking_Eagle
06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Great news men.

I walked home from work today naked because of this.

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Think Zibby was a bit more athletic. Not an Irish alum, but he reminds me of Eric Weddle. Not the best athlete in the world, but was one of the smartest players on the field, and would never get beat

NDinL.A.
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Great news men.

I walked home from work today naked because of this.

Does ResLife know about this???

Polish Leppy 22
06-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Zibby was more athletic than that in 2004 when he was still in high school?

SpeedsterX
06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
OUCH!!

YouTube - Chris Badger 2010 Safety Highlights 2008 (Click HD in Bottom Right) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT2-SoRRHAA&feature=player_embedded)

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow, kid can hit. No wonder Tenuta loves this guy. Looks like a good fit for the Nickelback. I love how our defense is recruiting players that are perfect against the spread

Stalking_Eagle
06-29-2009, 07:36 PM

LOL - I thought about that after I wrote the post. I hope they aren't checking IE. :)

Junkhead
06-29-2009, 08:00 PM
. Looks like a good fit for the Nickelback.

Leave sucky music out of this! Seriously, his measureables don't jump off the paper, but I like the hitting in his video. Welcome Chris!

Stalking_Eagle
06-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Leave sucky music out of this! Seriously, his measureables don't jump off the paper, but I like the hitting in his video. Welcome Chris!
LOL

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Lol u know wat i meant

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 08:11 PM
wrong thread

hamiljar
06-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I am predicting him as another kyle McCarthey.
Just super solid. I think they have pretty close to
the same numbers coming out of high school. I
think this is a great pickup.

Go Irish

Junkhead
06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I am predicting him as another kyle McCarthey.
Just super solid. I think they have pretty close to
the same numbers coming out of high school. I
think this is a great pickup.

Go Irish

That's kinda what I thought too. McCarthy > Zibby, punt returns aside.

fitz_bu47
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Easy, I love McCarthy but Zibby was a playmaking badass....I know he got beat deep some, but a lot of times it was when our whole defense had their heads up their ass....If he is anything like McCarthy or Zibby I will be very happy.
Welcome aboard!! Lets keep this going, i love getting emails from Scout saying we got another one.

tko
06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
wow, i fkn loves this kid already and how about a recruit from Utah, wtf! go get em all boys!

NDinL.A.
06-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Easy, I love McCarthy but Zibby was a playmaking badass....I know he got beat deep some, but a lot of times it was when our whole defense had their heads up their ass....If he is anything like McCarthy or Zibby I will be very happy.
Welcome aboard!! Lets keep this going, i love getting emails from Scout saying we got another one.

Wait, he got beat SOME??? LOL. C'mon brother, I respect the hell out of Zibby and I have no qualms whatsoever with you loving big Z, but the dude got beat deep A TON. ha ha, it's all good dude.

As for Badger, my favorite quote was about him "just wanting to come in and compete for playing time and just play violent". Love it! When have you ever heard a recruit say that???

One more thing: Mike Wiltfong of ISD got a text from Chris Martin, who said something to the effect of being very excited that we "brought another hard-hitter to my defense!" That's right, he said MY defense. Apparently they camped together and know each other. My bromance grows and grows with Mr. Martin and I'm not ashamed to admit it (yeah, we went through a rough patch last week, but we worked it out and are on good terms again...no Jon and Kate thing here)...

Polish Leppy 22
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
HA...great comparison with jon and kate

Junkhead
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Zibby was a boxing badass, a good punt returner, and a model player and student by most accounts. He is also an excellent athlete, and an NFL player. I even bought a #9 Jersey a few years back. That said, there was no drop off from him to McCarthy. Kyle is one of the best tacklers on the team. Zibby would too often go for the huge hit, only to have the other player spin off and keep going while he ate dirt. I attribute much of his weakness to the scheme. Minters pass defense was pathetic, and later on Zibby felt he had to cheat up to shore up the run defense.

Ricochet
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Don't get me wrong I like the pick up as I think he's a good fit for the program but he's nowhere near as athletic or as fast as Zibby. Btw, he's Mormon and there is more than a decent chance he goes on mission for a couple years. He's not an impact player that going to see PT as a freshman so he will more or less be RS and then go on mission with him returning for 2013 season.

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Wait, he got beat SOME??? LOL. C'mon brother, I respect the hell out of Zibby and I have no qualms whatsoever with you loving big Z, but the dude got beat deep A TON. ha ha, it's all good dude...

Yeah he did, but that has more to do with his playing style. He liked to take risks and go for the big play. I love Zibby and his style, guy was a playmaker, but he was not on a team who could cover his mistakes. Zibby would be better suited on todays Irish team than the 05-06 teams. There's a reason Baltimore wanted Zibby so bad, guy was a football player. So is Chris Badgger. This kid may not have the measurables, but guy is someone who will contribute. Could be the sleeper of the class

jason_h537
06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Zibby was a boxing badass, a good punt returner, and a model player and student by most accounts. He is also an excellent athlete, and an NFL player. I even bought a #9 Jersey a few years back. That said, there was no drop off from him to McCarthy. Kyle is one of the best tacklers on the team. Zibby would too often go for the huge hit, only to have the other player spin off and keep going while he ate dirt. I attribute much of his weakness to the scheme. Minters pass defense was pathetic, and later on Zibby felt he had to cheat up to shore up the run defense.

Exactly. McCarthy is a safe player. Which i don't mind especially playing next to Hayseed, who is more like Zibby in my opinion in his style of play.

WabashFalcon
06-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Badger Badger Badger Badger Mushroom Mushroom... Badger Badger Badger Badger SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE SNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

OCIrish
06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Much of Zibby's problem can be attributed to the defese called by Minter. There were times, especially the NC game where he got "burnt", but the player that beat him for a long TD, wasn't his guy in coverage. Ndukwe was out of position as he was often in their zone coverages.

WabashFalcon
06-29-2009, 11:34 PM
This kid can lay the wood... but if you look at him... man can he jump routes.

irishandy
06-30-2009, 12:51 AM
I turned on the 11 o'clock news this evening and found out the great news. They showed his film and he quick and hard hitting. Glad to have him on board. Go Irish!!

NDFan78
06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
It's always nice to see a player from BYU country go to another school.

jason_h537
06-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Apparently Te'o helped seal the deal. They went to check out the Mormon Church together

BGIF
06-30-2009, 04:34 AM

Why he didn't walk home naked with a female faculty member.

BGIF
06-30-2009, 04:47 AM
Don't get me wrong I like the pick up as I think he's a good fit for the program but he's nowhere near as athletic or as fast as Zibby. Btw, he's Mormon and there is more than a decent chance he goes on mission for a couple years. He's not an impact player that going to see PT as a freshman so he will more or less be RS and then go on mission with him returning for 2013 season.

Good assessment without the Kool-Aid.

Aside from the fondness for hitting I don't understand the comparison to Zibby. Zibby was a HS option QB who ran a 4.4. Badger is slow for a LB.

I don't see the nickel back projection either. He's no Sergio. He might play ST as freshman.

BostonND
06-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Badger Badger Badger Badger Mushroom Mushroom... Badger Badger Badger Badger SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE SNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Nice.

Also, I can see the headlines now... "Chris Badgers the Wolverines for 11 Tackles, Forced Fumble"

PADOMERNUT
06-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Wouldnt it be the 2012 season?

2009 - Senior year HS
2010 - Freshman Year ND
2011 - Mission
2012 - Back at ND

Unless I am missing something, please correct me if I am wrong.

PADOMERNUT
06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Or is the mission 2 years?

BGIF
06-30-2009, 09:18 AM

4 years all at 46556.

They've heard of ResLife and have come to lead them to the path of righteousness.

notredomer23
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Good assessment without the Kool-Aid.

Aside from the fondness for hitting I don't understand the comparison to Zibby. Zibby was a HS option QB who ran a 4.4. Badger is slow for a LB.

I don't see the nickel back projection either. He's no Sergio. He might play ST as freshman.

I do not agree that he is slow for a LB. He ran a 4.65...average linebacker speed. He can easily get faster, and with his hitting ability I want him on the field

BGIF
06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I do not agree that he is slow for a LB. He ran a 4.65...average linebacker speed. He can easily get faster, and with his hitting ability I want him on the field

Ran a 4.65 or is listed at 4.65?

Where did he run it? For his coach?

How many Div 1 LB play at 178? He'd have to pack at least 50 pounds on the body, that did test, to be a Div 1 LB.

"He can easily get faster ..." Some kids do but not easily. They go to speed school and work and puke their butts off. I know several that have done so successfully BUT most kids add to their time when their coach doesn't have his thumb on the clock. It's amazing how HS times get slower when athletes hit campus. Just as most college (team) times get slower when NFL prospects get clocked for the money.

Here's his Combine Data from his rivals profile

Chris Badger - 2009 U.S. Army National Combine (http://notredame.rivals.com/cpevent.asp?key=32907)

San Antonio, TX
January 5, 2009
http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/Camps/events_eventverified.gif
Event Datahttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gifHeight: 5-foot-11.5
Weight: 178 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.84 seconds
Shuttle speed: 4.78
Vertical leap: 26"

Tell me how impressive the 26 inch leap is.

That's an lineman's number, not LBs, much less an DBs.

Scout lists an '08 Combine leap of 29 inches for him. Equally underwhelming for a DB.

Scout.com: Chris Badger Profile (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=8&c=1&nid=3641852)

Here's his ESPN Data. It doesn't say where or when the data was tested.

Chris Badger - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=69138&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d691 38)

Hometown Provo, UT High SchoolTimpview High School Height6'0"Weight184 lbs.Three Cone Drill7.08Vertical Jump30.5"Broad Jump9'8''40-yd dash4.7520-yd shuttle4.35
3 sets of data that don't indicate impact player.

The Polish Irishman
06-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I would not suck his measurables. Remember Lambert ran a 4.34 a Pro Day at ND. You can't measure heart.

Even his Dad, a Stanford Alum, put on a ND shirt and was blown away by the campus.

NDOM
06-30-2009, 11:38 AM

I agree notredomer23, I totally agree with you EXCEPT.....You CAN NOT teach speed, plain and simple. You are either fast or slow. You may be able to get a smidge faster but other than that there is just no getting faster.

hamiljar
06-30-2009, 02:21 PM
For all the people that love 40 times, which
I am one sometimes. You need to watch his
film this kids looks like a stud football player.
I know a lot of guys that have worked with a
speed coach and knocked there time down from
4.75 to 4.58. If Badger does that would that make
everyone feel like he is a better football player?
I think only our perception of him would go up. I
don't really care because he look like stud to me.

Go IrishBadger!

IrishAddiction
06-30-2009, 06:54 PM
40 yard dash times doesnt always equal out to be good football speed. not saying i dont like the kids with the 4.3 fortys, but putting on the PADS and running fast is different than running without them. Lets just hope this kid gets faster and starts knocking the hell out of people when he gets on the field here.

jason_h537
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Badger ran a 4.84 at a nike camp, Amerson ran a 4.82 that same camp. Kid can hit, has a football players mentallity. Not saying he will be a superstar but he seems like someone who will contribute. He is a safety with a linebackers menatlity

gocrimson77
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Football speed is different from game speed. Jerry Rice only ran a 4.6 yet had to get triple covered in his prime.

Chris can improve his speed. The Army combine was right after the season in the middle of Winter. He's done a lot since then.

The Polish Irishman
06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Football speed is different from game speed. Jerry Rice only ran a 4.6 yet had to get triple covered in his prime.

Chris can improve his speed. The Army combine was right after the season in the middle of Winter. He's done a lot since then.

Nice post and welcome!

Junkhead
06-30-2009, 08:37 PM
So sick of 40-yd time nonsense - CBSSports.com Message Boards (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/14471345)

Emmitt Smith ran a 4.8.

gocrimson77
06-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Mormon missions last two years. Chris is commited to ND and if he has the opportunity to contribute early he will stay and play. He'll do whatever the coach asks him.

gocrimson77
06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
btw, I'm one of Chris' brothers so if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to help.

jason_h537
06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
from now on when some one claims to be someone we should require at least two forms of id

NDinL.A.
06-30-2009, 09:52 PM
btw, I'm one of Chris' brothers so if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to help.

Considering that you're a Stanford family, are you guys a little mad that he's not going to Stanford after all, or is it all love?

BGIF
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Mormon missions last two years. Chris is commited to ND and if he has the opportunity to contribute early he will stay and play. He'll do whatever the coach asks him.

With all due respect, we don't have any way of knowing who's a family member and who's pulling our chain. It's happened before both ways.

I "met" Joey Getherall's sister on a AOL board in '96. She was actually posting under her real name. I made a similar comment to that poster as the one above I further suggested as a female it may not be wise to use your real name. You don't know who's out there and some posters can be intentionally cruel. At the time I was the recruiting moderator on the Irish Recruiting Journal (IRJ) and had deleted some pretty foul posts about players and their family members. The next day a guy posted on the IRJ claiming to be her father and the recruit's father. He appreciated my comments and wanted to thank me. Joe suggested we swap emails. The first one I got was a thank you note and his phone number. He was an LA detective and appalled his daughter was posting under her own name. We've stayed in touch a couple times a week for 13 years.

Three years ago a current member of the ND team posted on the site while a recruit. He substantiated his bona fides as well.

About two weeks ago a poster claimed he was a current recruit. I sent him a private message about us not knowing if he's real or a provocateur. And suggested he email me or contact any of the broad moderators. I also raised concern about contact between "boosters" and recruits. It can be an issue and we don't want to jeopardize a recruit's status. To my knowledge he's not been back.

So with that preamble. Tons of questions.

Does the individual Mormon young man get to set the timing of the mission or does a Church official say like the Draft Broad, "Greeting's! It's time. Report on such and such a date." ?

Having followed recruiting on ND boards for more than 15 years, I defer to the coaches. They're the professionals, they're the ones whose livilihoods are attached to those recruits they judge to be the best fit. As a fan I'm not locked into a highlight tape (they are "highlights") or measurables (I have more faith in combine results than the player's coach) but they are the only thing fans have to talk about. Most of don't get to go to HS games to see them in action and most don't have a keen enough eye to make a refined judgement if we did much less project body size and position in 2 or 3 years.

From the film I have no doubt he's a hitter. But Div I players are a lot quicker, bigger, and stronger. As I assume you know better than I the whole game is faster. With those qualifiers tell me about his combine results. While some of the people here are dismissing the 40's time due to pads, actual game situation and such, I see them comparable to his peers. Other safeties, other LBs, whatever position he plays. His 40 times (not one but a couple) are on the high side. His vertical leap is on the low side. I don't question his heart that's apparent. "Rudy" had heart. Joey Getherall has a bigger heart but at 5'-7" he wasn't going to outleap may 6-2 safeties for a jump ball.

Chris strikes me as a old time hard nose LB but I understand he supposed to be a safety, hence my questions. I have no doubt he can stop a TE at the goal line with a game saving tackle like Ivory Covington did for ND. Some posters here are comparing him to Tom Zibokowski, a tough but fleet DB. Also a great return man with his superior footspeed. Nobody was tougher on the team but pass coverage was not his forte. He made some great plays on defense but he also got beat badly and too often. Chris also made me think of Chad DeBolt from 5 or 6 years back. A walk-on who was a dynamo on special teams. Not the biggest, not the fastest, but around the ball.

Junkhead
06-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I have to take the side of the coaching staff. (for once) If they have shown anything, it is recruiting. Why obsess about numbers. For example, what is Kyle McCarthys 40 time compared to Zibby? You are either a football player or not.

BGIF
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I have to take the side of the coaching staff. (for once) If they have shown anything, it is recruiting. Why obsess about numbers. For example, what is Kyle McCarthys 40 time compared to Zibby? You are either a football player or not.

And if Zibby and McCarthy were on the same team at the same position, Zibby would be starting.

jason_h537
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
He's no Zibby, but i do trust the coaching staff, and Tenuta loves him. If Tenuta see's something in him, who am i to argue?

gocrimson77
06-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Considering that you're a Stanford family, are you guys a little mad that he's not going to Stanford after all, or is it all love?

Actually, everyone in the family is really excited (expect our older brother who went to Stanford). I was skeptical myself at first but hearing about his visit and seeing the tremendous fan support from Irish fans has really won me over. I think this is a great fit. Go Irish!

gocrimson77
07-01-2009, 12:21 AM
With all due respect, we don't have any way of knowing who's a family member and who's pulling our chain. It's happened before both ways.

I "met" Joey Getherall's sister on a AOL board in '96. She was actually posting under her real name. I made a similar comment to that poster as the one above I further suggested as a female it may not be wise to use your real name. You don't know who's out there and some posters can be intentionally cruel. At the time I was the recruiting moderator on the Irish Recruiting Journal (IRJ) and had deleted some pretty foul posts about players and their family members. The next day a guy posted on the IRJ claiming to be her father and the recruit's father. He appreciated my comments and wanted to thank me. Joe suggested we swap emails. The first one I got was a thank you note and his phone number. He was an LA detective and appalled his daughter was posting under her own name. We've stayed in touch a couple times a week for 13 years.

Three years ago a current member of the ND team posted on the site while a recruit. He substantiated his bona fides as well.

About two weeks ago a poster claimed he was a current recruit. I sent him a private message about us not knowing if he's real or a provocateur. And suggested he email me or contact any of the broad moderators. I also raised concern about contact between "boosters" and recruits. It can be an issue and we don't want to jeopardize a recruit's status. To my knowledge he's not been back.

So with that preamble. Tons of questions.

Does the individual Mormon young man get to set the timing of the mission or does a Church official say like the Draft Broad, "Greeting's! It's time. Report on such and such a date." ?

Having followed recruiting on ND boards for more than 15 years, I defer to the coaches. They're the professionals, they're the ones whose livilihoods are attached to those recruits they judge to be the best fit. As a fan I'm not locked into a highlight tape (they are "highlights") or measurables (I have more faith in combine results than the player's coach) but they are the only thing fans have to talk about. Most of don't get to go to HS games to see them in action and most don't have a keen enough eye to make a refined judgement if we did much less project body size and position in 2 or 3 years.

From the film I have no doubt he's a hitter. But Div I players are a lot quicker, bigger, and stronger. As I assume you know better than I the whole game is faster. With those qualifiers tell me about his combine results. While some of the people here are dismissing the 40's time due to pads, actual game situation and such, I see them comparable to his peers. Other safeties, other LBs, whatever position he plays. His 40 times (not one but a couple) are on the high side. His vertical leap is on the low side. I don't question his heart that's apparent. "Rudy" had heart. Joey Getherall has a bigger heart but at 5'-7" he wasn't going to outleap may 6-2 safeties for a jump ball.

Chris strikes me as a old time hard nose LB but I understand he supposed to be a safety, hence my questions. I have no doubt he can stop a TE at the goal line with a game saving tackle like Ivory Covington did for ND. Some posters here are comparing him to Tom Zibokowski, a tough but fleet DB. Also a great return man with his superior footspeed. Nobody was tougher on the team but pass coverage was not his forte. He made some great plays on defense but he also got beat badly and too often. Chris also made me think of Chad DeBolt from 5 or 6 years back. A walk-on who was a dynamo on special teams. Not the biggest, not the fastest, but around the ball.

I definitely understand your concerns about identity fraud. But all I can do is provide you with what I know and I think you'll see I'm not pulling anyone's chain.

1) The choice to go on a mission is completely voluntary. Of course young males are "urged" by their church leaders to go. It's almost kind of like a right of passage. That being said however, a significant number of young males choose not to go for various reasons and their standing in the church and community is not affected. Steve Young, a very prominent Mormon, did not go on a mission and instead chose to play college football all 4 years and then play in the NFL.

If one does want to go on a mission they must go through an application process and be interviewed by their local church leader. They put a "starting date" on the application indicating when they are available to start (for example "June 2009"). Church headquaters will then send them a letter indicating where they will be going and what date they will be starting. Missionaries do not receive any financial compensation for the work and actually pay their own way. Again, the potential missionary intiates the process and notifys when he is available.

Bo McNally is a saftey for Stanford and I actually played against him in High School - Timpview won :). He played all four years at Stanford and did not go on a mission. He is a great kid and a strong member in the church. I don't know what is situation is now but he could be gonig on a mission after he graduates or he might not.

2) Chris is definitely a game day player - like myself. Like you said, experienced coaches love Chris. Mickey Andrews from Florida State, who coached Deion Sanders among others, merely saw Chris' film and called him and offered a scholarship. Same with Cal, Oregon and some other schools.

His measurables are definitely mild compared to other D1 defensive backs. But his imeasurables are great. Let me try and explain why these are more important in actual games than the "measureables". Say you have a kid that runs a 4.3 on the track and a kid that runs a 4.65. Theoretically the 4.3 kid is quicker and less likely to get beat deep. But in a game situation, there are other factors involved.

Say the saftey doesn't line up right or misreads the other offensive or is caught out of position after the snap - these can translate into .5 seconds or more. So if a kid who runs a 4.6 reads the offense correctly, stays in his proper position and calls the right audible, in actualy game speed he could be running a 4.2 while the 4.3 kid not playing the ball right could be running a 4.8. Hips and foot speed also play a critical role not measured in linear track speed. Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith are among some notable NFL players who ran 4.7s but could not be covered by defenses.

By the time Chris starts with ND his speed will be fine. We're working with a sled, parachute, and ample weight training. The fact is one can improve speed. By correcting running form, building fast-twitch muslces through explosive excercise, ect.

Chris is a very hard worker and passionate about the game. Hope this answers some of your questions.

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 12:52 AM
I love speed, I'm not even going to lie. However, if you have a 4.3 guy running in the wrong direction, and the 4.6 guy always in the right spot, well obviously you take the 4.6 guy, especially if he lays the wood like Chris. Lou Holtz said something to the effect that he'd take 11 4.6 guys running in the right direction than 11 4.3 guys running the wrong way, any day of the week.

Thanks for your input, your brother sounds like a great kid, and we're excited to have him! Post anytime...

BGIF
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM

His measurables are definitely mild compared to other D1 defensive backs. But his imeasurables are great.

... Hope this answers some of your questions.

You answered the questions extremely well, thank you. I've had conversation with a number of Mormon men over the years and my understanding from their explanations was that the mission trip was mandatory. Essentially if a male did not do his mission work his stature in the church community would be greatly diminished. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.

The Mickey Andrews offer is impressive.

Your comment on his measurables was tactful yet effectively stated. Better than my words. Your example was quite clear. While the faster man loses a half second due to a misread or a slow adjustment to the alignment, the defender slower by a couple of hundredths can offset the footspeed difference. ND actually experienced the reverse of that situation where S Tom Zibokowski with excellent speed would cheat to protect against the run and bite on play action long enough for this man to get open for sizeable gains.

I like speed providing the player uses it well.

Best wishes to Chris at ND, both on the field and in the classroom be it for 4, 5, or 6 years.

PADOMERNUT
07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
The more I read about this kid, the more excited I get for him to get into an Irish uniform.

Junkhead
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
And if Zibby and McCarthy were on the same team at the same position, Zibby would be starting.

Only if the coach loved blown tackles.

jason_h537
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Dude, Zibby was a playmaker. He tried to make things happen on a defense that lacked talent. He would be apprecatied even more playing along side guys like, hayseed, Blanton, and Walls. He would be able to do so much more as a safety by not being asked to do so much on the field

Junkhead
07-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Dude, Zibby was a playmaker. He tried to make things happen on a defense that lacked talent. He would be apprecatied even more playing along side guys like, hayseed, Blanton, and Walls. He would be able to do so much more as a safety by not being asked to do so much on the field

Last threadjack. I already said I was a Zibby fan, but he did have his limitations.

BGIF
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM

He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

He had to cheat for run support and help out a secondary that needed help.

Fans blasted him for playing down so close and getting caught on play action. Yes, he did get caught but the coaches didn't move him back. If he was cheating on his own the coach should have been all over his but.

He also played hurt and got little credit for it.

My biggest complaint was his boxing. He bulked up for the ring and I think that impacted his senior year.

gocrimson77
07-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I just want to say thanks for all the support from the ND fans. You guys are great. BYU fans in Provo are giving Chris heat for his decision. So it's nice to hear what real football fans sound like from you guys.

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I just want to say thanks for all the support from the ND fans. You guys are great. BYU fans in Provo are giving Chris heat for his decision. So it's nice to hear what real football fans sound like from you guys.

Thank you. Tell Chris not to sweat it; many jilted fans feel that way. Even Stanford fans are trying to talk themselves into why the safety from AZ that just (soft) committed to Stanford is better than Chris. It's embarrassing and pathetic, and I hate when fans of teams that I like do that.

I heard Chris was going to be on the Power Hour with Mike Frank (he runs a ND recruiting site in case you don't know). It was already recorded, and I look forward to hearing what Chris had to say. I've heard nothing but positive things about the kid. Oh, and you can tell him that many ND fans love his quote about 'wanting to come to ND and play violent". Awesome!

BGIF
07-02-2009, 02:56 AM

Stop back anytime with updates. We primarily get the media and internet perspective on the players. It's nice to hear the real story.

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Thank you. Tell Chris not to sweat it; many jilted fans feel that way. Even Stanford fans are trying to talk themselves into why the safety from AZ that just (soft) committed to Stanford is better than Chris. It's embarrassing and pathetic, and I hate when fans of teams that I like do that.

I heard Chris was going to be on the Power Hour with Mike Frank (he runs a ND recruiting site in case you don't know). It was already recorded, and I look forward to hearing what Chris had to say. I've heard nothing but positive things about the kid. Oh, and you can tell him that many ND fans love his quote about 'wanting to come to ND and play violent". Awesome!

That quote right there just made me go kill a cow. With my bare hands. And eat the red meat. Raw.

BGIF
07-02-2009, 03:21 AM
[/b]

That quote right there just made me go kill a cow. With my bare hands. And eat the red meat. Raw.

Tenuta wants to go to dinner with you.

irish4ever
07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
[/B]
And eat the red meat.

As opposed to the white meat on a cow??

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
I am simply IDing the color of the cow meat. You cheeky bastard.

He he

gocrimson77
07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
This is an email from Chris' older brother. Got me pumped up just reading it and thought I should share it.

"Not going to bug you again (slow right now during my night shift), so this will be the last thing.

When you work, remember it's not about the time, it's about the intensity. It's how bad you want it.

I need to be telling you to back off being in the weight room. You need to eat, sleep, dream about being in the weightroom. In needs to consume you.

You need to be PISSEd that every single person in this country thinks you can't hold Sean Parker's jock. You need to be pissed that you're viewed as a slow white DB who might, if he's lucky, play special teams. You need to be consumed with proving everyone wrong and PROVING TO YOURSELF, that nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can stand between you and your dreams.

When you are in there, you need to lift with a fire unknown to any one else. Like Rocky, it's not about spending time to train, its about giving EVERY single work out EVERY single thing you have.

If you let up, you ruin an opportunity to get better - with that said, you'll have plenty of time to rest and relax later in life.

You have an AMAZING opportunity RIGHT NOW and ONLY RIGHT NOW. You have a scholarship offer from your dream school and the most recognizable program in the nation. The defensive secondary will be good but extremely thin. If you come in ready, you have a chance to make an impact from day one.

You don't have many opportunities in life to change your destiny. I can work my ass off trying to be a good doctor. You know what. It won't make any difference! No one cares. The trajectory of my life is already set. I won't accomplish anything new from here on out on an individual level. My job now is not for myself, but to be the best husband and dad I can be. That is more important than anything else in the world, and my time for myself is over, and my responsibility lies in improving the lives of my family.

You are different. What you do now can DRASTICALLY change the course of your life. You can work hard and play special teams and get a few starts if someones gets injured. You could work hard and start your last two years. Or you can work harder than anyone who has ever been in that program has ever worked. You can work so hard that when the coaches go home at night, they tell their wives about some freshman DB who was doing sprints on the intramural field at 11 pm at night.

You can work so hard that when you clean out the lockerroom after your 4 years are up, the janitor of the athletic complex shakes his head and says "man, i've never seen a kid work that hard."

You need to let the fire to work consume you. You still might not play, or you might become a 4-year starter and 3 time all-american. You never know. But, But, and this is big, if you give EVERY single thing you have and EVERY single day to this cause, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, you'll never have any regrets. You would have laid it all on the field. Nothing more can be expected and nothing more will make you more proud.

However, if you don't give everything you have to every day, to every workout, to every practice, then the rest of your life, you'll regret and be angry with yourself for not pushing it to the next level. It could be one missed work out. One practice where you don't go full bore. That alone (not injuries, not a mission) is why I failed and never became an athlete. It's something you live with everyday the rest of your life and the sad part is, it's something you CAN NEVER CHANGE.

So, bud, every day you look in the mirror and you remind yourself what your mission is. Every HS football player in the country is "working out" with his team, as you are. How many are killing themselves every opportunity they can. How many are killing themselves to get themselves better on every drill, every route, every lift. Who is the first person to the complex, the last one to leave. The one where you're being kicked out. Overtraining is bull shit. A 45 year old weekend warrior overtrains, not a 17 year old kid. I will promise to rest your legs appropriately, but you can kill yourself on your upper body. You can kill yourself on having a solid D1 upper body every single day.

You need to look for that opportunity to destroy yourself every day. You need to bring an intensity to the practice field and to the weight room that rivals no one. You need to outwork every single kid in this country. Trust me, in the end, you'll be more proud of your work ethic and your journey for self-improvement than anything else you ever accomplish on the field or at ND (even if it is a three time All-American).

You have a ton of support. Everyone (besides Brandon :)) want to see you succeed at Notre Dame.

However, like in Rocky, "you're going to have to go through hell to get there." But if you do, "you'll be the last one standing."

"This is your time Rocky. This is your moment. Don't let anyone take you away from your moment."

You have ONE shot at this Chris - Make every day, every practice, every work out count. If you do, the rest of your life, you'll be proud that you left everything you had on the field."

jason_h537
07-03-2009, 02:19 AM
WHOOOOOOO lets go Wreck shit.

NDinL.A.
07-03-2009, 02:27 AM
HOLY SHI*!!!!!!! THAT WAS UN-FREAKING-REAL!!! I don't know whether to be pumped up or be sad, because I sure as hell didn't do what your older brother wants Chris to do!

Wow, great read, and thanks for sharing. Your older brother should be giving motivational speeches a la Lou Holtz man. I got chills reading it. I'm printing it out and reading it to my athletes. No doubt if Chris follows that he'll be an absolute stud for ND. Can't wait to follow him this year!

And listen, if he needs more motivation, just read a Stanford message board. I went to one of them just to hear what they were saying, and it quickly went from all-love for Chris, to "We didn't want him anyways, we got who we really wanted in Carrington. That's why Chris changed his commitment, because he knew Carrington was better" and "He's too slow, so it's not a big loss". How quickly things change!

Dude lays the wood to anyone and everyone he tackles. There's no arm tackling there. He's always around the ball, and if he gains an extra step through his work outs he'll be a stud for ND, no doubt. Thanks again!...

jason_h537
07-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Damn he called out Sean Parker too. I wanna hit someone right now. Apparently cant rep you so soon, but ur quickly becoming a favorite here

BGIF
07-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Is the whole family reading IrishEnvy?

You need to be pissed that you're viewed as a slow white DB who might, if he's lucky, play special teams.

I didn't say anything about "white" nor did I say he'd be lucky to play special teams.

However, if it will serve as a motivating tool blow it up to 48 point BOLD and paste it on the ceiling of the weight room.

GO IRISH!

Go Chris!

WabashFalcon
07-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Awesome. Just... wow.

DirtySecret
07-03-2009, 10:52 AM

I didn't say anything about "white" nor did I say he'd be lucky to play special teams.

However, if it will serve as a motivating tool blow it up to 48 point BOLD and paste it on the ceiling of the weight room.

GO IRISH!

Go Chris!

You're a lair! You did say he was a slow white DB.. :)

gocrimson77
07-03-2009, 12:55 PM

GO IRISH!

Go Chris!

He wasn't referring to anything BGIF said.

BGIF
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
He wasn't referring to anything BGIF said.

BGIF didn't think he was. BGIF was being facetious. Not one of his better efforts.

WabashFalcon
07-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh God... now he's gone all third person... "Willie Beman's not pissed. Willie Beman's done what he's gotta do. Willie Beman needs the defense to step up."

BGIF
07-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Oh God... now he's gone all third person... "Willie Beman's not pissed. Willie Beman's done what he's gotta do. Willie Beman needs the defense to step up."

If reprising a movie role it wouldn't have been Willie Beaman (with another "a") it would have been Billy Heywood.

Jason Pham
07-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Profile updated

BGIF
07-05-2009, 03:47 AM
I can see this kid getting on the field early on the Kickoff Coverage Team. He's either gonna eat up a blocker or make a tackle. But he is going to have lane discipline and id going to hit somebody.

On Kickoff Return Team, and both Punt Teams he doesn't as having the speed for a deep man nor gunners nor the size for the LOS blockers.

Anybody see a fit other than Kickoff Coverage? Explain.

jason_h537
07-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I can see this kid getting on the field early on the Kickoff Coverage Team. He's either gonna eat up a blocker or make a tackle. But he is going to have lane discipline and id going to hit somebody.

On Kickoff Return Team, and both Punt Teams he doesn't as having the speed for a deep man nor gunners nor the size for the LOS blockers.

Anybody see a fit other than Kickoff Coverage? Explain.

From day one, no. Kickoff coveredge seems to be the logical choice. Down the road, however, i see him contributing. I don't see him as a superstar, but he could be a reliable and solid #2. I don't see the Zibby comparison either. Before Brian Smith, Zibby was my guy, dude made plays on a weak defense. Still think Badger has good upside, a heavy hitter who maximizes his skills. There is always room on the team for someone like that.

BGIF
07-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Freebie Article at ISD

In the film room: Chris Badger - (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&article=611&category_id=7&Itemid=83)

Bit small for SS, loves his tackling skills. Solid in the run game. Comfortable with him coverning TEs and slot receivers but has concern about faster WRs, RBs, and tall TEs on deep routes.

Lots more at the link

HawaiianIrish
07-14-2009, 11:56 PM
GO CRIMSON that was a deep email. Like NDin LA said its cut and paste and share with our local highschool football team.

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Did very well at the Gridiron Kings 7 on 7 Tournament in FL. He was on the same team as Chris Martin and Josh Shaw. They lost 34-0 in the first game, then he talked to coach Hardy Nickerson (of TB Bucs fame) and convinced him the team needed to try new coverages, They then went undefeated the rest of the way and made it to the finals, where they lost 12-6 to the same team that beat them 34-0.

Greg Biggins of ESPN said that Badger had a very good tourney, that he needs to work on his speed but that he's extremely smart and was in the right place all the time. Also said that he's a physical player with a great football body, and he could tell he wanted to blow some receivers up on several plays.

Badger and Martin were both working on Josh Shaw all weekend about coming to ND...

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Did very well at the Gridiron Kings 7 on 7 Tournament in FL. He was on the same team as Chris Martin and Josh Shaw. They lost 34-0 in the first game, then he talked to coach Hardy Nickerson (of TB Bucs fame) and convinced him the team needed to try new coverages, They then went undefeated the rest of the way and made it to the finals, where they lost 12-6 to the same team that beat them 34-0.

Greg Biggins of ESPN said that Badger had a very good tourney, that he needs to work on his speed but that he's extremely smart and was in the right place all the time. Also said that he's a physical player with a great football body, and he could tell he wanted to blow some receivers up on several plays.

Badger and Martin were both working on Josh Shaw all weekend about coming to ND...

I love it when you talk dirty to me big boy!

IrishInFl
07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
What techniques are there to work on your speed?

vinnymac2402
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
plyometrics works real well, and also there are several other speed drills that work well. My HS coach bought the plyometric system and those of us that tried it all of are forty times were faster than before we did it

BGIF
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Improve mechanics like foot placement, body angle.

Run with a parachute (resistance)

Poolwork again resistance

Various exercises and drills to work the fast twitch muscles

Proper breathing/increased pulmonary function. Air is fuel.

Joey Getherall who was naturally quick used to work in the offseason (there wasn't much of that) at a place specializing in speed enhancement I think it was called "Fast Twitch". Many of skill players do this kind of work.

BGIF
07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
plyometrics works real well, and also there are several other speed drills that work well. My HS coach bought the plyometric system and those of us that tried it all of are forty times were faster than before we did it

vinnymac,

Explain how you use the system.

BGIF
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Here's a link on Sports Medicine with basic stuff about muscle fiber. There are additional links at the site which discuss types of training, frequency, and such. The athletes I know/knew that did this kind of training claim it helped them.

Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm)

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
We had a bi-daily agility and speed development rotation that we did in days we didn't lift. All of the stuff was quick, short bursts of movement. Additionally, each station worked on rapid change of direction and short bursts of acceleration and speed.

IrishInFl
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Cool, thanks. My high school football days didn't exactly have the best conditioning coaches.

vinnymac2402
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
BGIF Plyometrics is a series of jumps on boxes where u start on smaller ones for quickness then move to larger boxes. It was incredible took my forty time from 5sec to 4.78 and that was just from spring until start of my junior year. If u google it they would probably be able to explain a little bit better

WabashFalcon
07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
BGIF Plyometrics is a series of jumps on boxes where u start on smaller ones for quickness then move to larger boxes. It was incredible took my forty time from 5sec to 4.78 and that was just from spring until start of my junior year. If u google it they would probably be able to explain a little bit better

Not just box jumping for plyos... Line jumps are popular, as is a progressive jump roping routines, resistance jumping, bounding, leaping... any sport of movement that can stretch the hammies and teach quick twitch muscle memory...

wyvrn
10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
I would actually prefer faster safeties who can patrol center field. The big hitters are nice, but with more spread type offenses, they are becoming less of a factor.

The Polish Irishman
10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I would actually prefer faster safeties who can patrol center field. The big hitters are nice, but with more spread type offenses, they are becoming less of a factor.

I want safeties who can tackle and this kid can hit. He knows how to play the game the right way

sportallyr
11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Did anyone read Badger's quote over on ISD's commitment recap from his past game? Here's what he said:

Chris Badger: The future Irish safety and his Timpview (Provo, Utah) High (9-2) teammates steamrolled Spanish Fork, 57-22, advancing to the state semifinals.

“They had a good offense with some big talented receivers,” Badger began. “I had one of my best games, six tackles, a big fourth down pass deflection and three other big hits that actually knocked their three best receivers out for the rest of the game.”

Seems like a Zibby type player that likes to hit hard. I'm excited about this kid!

WabashFalcon
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Did anyone read Badger's quote over on ISD's commitment recap from his past game? Here's what he said:

Chris Badger: The future Irish safety and his Timpview (Provo, Utah) High (9-2) teammates steamrolled Spanish Fork, 57-22, advancing to the state semifinals.

“They had a good offense with some big talented receivers,” Badger began. “I had one of my best games, six tackles, a big fourth down pass deflection and three other big hits that actually knocked their three best receivers out for the rest of the game.”

Seems like a Zibby type player that likes to hit hard. I'm excited about this kid!

Fire Charlie, he ain't comming.

NDinL.A.
11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Still plans on enrolling early, regardless of whether CW is here or not, per ISD...

BGIF
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Per Irish Illustrated

<TABLE class=header border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=leftheader vAlign=center noWrap>COMMITMENTS</TD><TD class=middleheader vAlign=center width="1%" noWrap></TD><TD class=rightheader vAlign=center width="1%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=data border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=header colSpan=5>Signed Letter of Intent</TD><TR><TD class=labelleft>Name</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Pos</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Ht/Wt</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Stars</TD><TD class=labelcenter>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Chris Badger</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>DB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>6-0/178</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>41</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Spencer Boyd</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>DB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>5-10/178</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>39</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Tai-ler Jones</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>WR</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>6-0/184</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>16</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Tommy Rees</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>QB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>6-3/192</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>31</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataplayer>Lo Wood</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>DB</TD><TD class=datacenter noWrap>5-10/160</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gifhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/images/database/stargold.gif</TD><TD class=datacenter width="15%" noWrap>45</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

vernfootball1
01-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Still plans on enrolling early, regardless of whether CW is here or not, per ISD...

he got enrolled early, hes in one of my brothers classes

OchoShayneO
01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
what dude?

WabashFalcon
01-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Mushroom! Mushroom! Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrishInFl
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Mushroom! Mushroom! Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you really going to make me post that video. Fine!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IrishJayhawk
01-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Well great...now that's in my head...

sportallyr
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Are you really going to make me post that video. Fine!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EIyixC9NsLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WTF is that from? There has to be a story since two of you knew what it was. Am I the only one who has no idea where this is from? Are there more like it?

sportallyr
01-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I am really excited about Badger. I have a feeling that he might be one of those non-highly recruited players that becomes a star. His attitude is what I want from a safety. I'm glad he enrolled early. I see him making an early impact.

Does anyone know if he is Morman? Just wondering.

WabashFalcon
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
WTF is that from? There has to be a story since two of you knew what it was. Am I the only one who has no idea where this is from? Are there more like it?

Let us just say that... when I was a pledge to my Fraternity, this song was used for... mandatory brotherhood enrichment exercises. That is all.

IrishInFl
01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Let us just say that... when I was a pledge to my Fraternity, this song was used for... mandatory brotherhood enrichment exercises. That is all.

The Minnesota Duluth band would play the badger song when we played Wisconsin in hockey. Awesome.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Haha and I now have a new song that I want as a ringtone.

To the profile of this recruit, or should I say player now, I don't think he was underrated at all. He had a very impressive offer list and had he stay incommitted longer, I think he would have had even more. We are getting a great player.

BearGB
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
A friend of mine who is a DB on the team said that this kid fits in with the guys really well. He said that Chris is a guy who kinda shuts his mouth and works his butt off. Supposedly is very funny though, too.

DirtySecret
02-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Man what a vicious hit...

YouTube - chris badger timpview high school 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSmw4aYQWk)

bigedefense
02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
That was a good clip, but check out this highlight clip. 2 min and 10 seconds of highlights to get you excited for the future of our secondary.

YouTube - Chris Badger "Big Hits" Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqUwfd6gp4Q)

DirtySecret
02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
That was a good clip, but check out this highlight clip. 2 min and 10 seconds of highlights to get you excited for the future of our secondary.

YouTube - Chris Badger "Big Hits" Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqUwfd6gp4Q)

Yea, but a lot of those are off of his 2008 season. Here's Chris getting the wood layed to him..

YouTube - Doman Big Hit HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwR3-Yg7m5s&feature=related)

johnnykillz
02-17-2010, 01:22 PM
We all have to learn to take a hit in order to give one, sort of like ass whoopins...

The Polish Irishman
07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Well everybody. I haven't really told a lot of people. But my mission papers are finished. And I'll be getting my call really soon and hopefully leaving in august. After the mission it will be back to Notre dame to finish my school and football career

Good luck to him and look forward to seeing him on the field

IrishInFl
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
He was probably going to redshirt anyway, so he made a good decision.

Ben E.
07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
if you lay it all out there and play hard sometimes you get caught like that. part of the game!

nd1
07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
man just watched some of those videos and this kid just lays people out but that was a shot he took.

chyrspchuck
07-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Good luck to him and look forward to seeing him on the field

what is this from? where is this quote from? story? anyone?

The Polish Irishman
07-12-2010, 03:26 PM
what is this from? where is this quote from? story? anyone?

From his facebook page and has been reported on various others sites

chyrspchuck
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
thank you.

BGIF
07-12-2010, 03:47 PM
ISD Twitter

ISD caught up with Shauna Badger, Chris Badger's mother, who confirmed that Chris will be taking a two-year mission starting in August.

nd1
07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
good luck chris and can't wait to see u on the field for irish.

jason_h537
07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Whoo 2 years. Good Luck Badger can't wait to get you back

Wasn't his brother a poster here?

ACamp1900
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Any chance themission will be in SOuth Bend????

just saying.

DB depth is just about a code red issue on this team... don't be suprised to see some WR's getting converted soon.

NDinL.A.
07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Good to luck to him. According to his mom he loved his time at ND and can't wait to come back after his mission.

And yes, jason, his brother posted here a couple of times. He posted an email his sent his brother that had me wanting to run the a friggin' brick wall by the time I was done reading it. Inspirational stuff...

Rocket's Rocket Fan
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Best of luck to him.

Ben E.
07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
This is an email from Chris' older brother. Got me pumped up just reading it and thought I should share it.

"Not going to bug you again (slow right now during my night shift), so this will be the last thing.

When you work, remember it's not about the time, it's about the intensity. It's how bad you want it.

I need to be telling you to back off being in the weight room. You need to eat, sleep, dream about being in the weightroom. In needs to consume you.

You need to be PISSEd that every single person in this country thinks you can't hold Sean Parker's jock. You need to be pissed that you're viewed as a slow white DB who might, if he's lucky, play special teams. You need to be consumed with proving everyone wrong and PROVING TO YOURSELF, that nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can stand between you and your dreams.

When you are in there, you need to lift with a fire unknown to any one else. Like Rocky, it's not about spending time to train, its about giving EVERY single work out EVERY single thing you have.

If you let up, you ruin an opportunity to get better - with that said, you'll have plenty of time to rest and relax later in life.

You have an AMAZING opportunity RIGHT NOW and ONLY RIGHT NOW. You have a scholarship offer from your dream school and the most recognizable program in the nation. The defensive secondary will be good but extremely thin. If you come in ready, you have a chance to make an impact from day one.

You don't have many opportunities in life to change your destiny. I can work my ass off trying to be a good doctor. You know what. It won't make any difference! No one cares. The trajectory of my life is already set. I won't accomplish anything new from here on out on an individual level. My job now is not for myself, but to be the best husband and dad I can be. That is more important than anything else in the world, and my time for myself is over, and my responsibility lies in improving the lives of my family.

You are different. What you do now can DRASTICALLY change the course of your life. You can work hard and play special teams and get a few starts if someones gets injured. You could work hard and start your last two years. Or you can work harder than anyone who has ever been in that program has ever worked. You can work so hard that when the coaches go home at night, they tell their wives about some freshman DB who was doing sprints on the intramural field at 11 pm at night.

You can work so hard that when you clean out the lockerroom after your 4 years are up, the janitor of the athletic complex shakes his head and says "man, i've never seen a kid work that hard."

You need to let the fire to work consume you. You still might not play, or you might become a 4-year starter and 3 time all-american. You never know. But, But, and this is big, if you give EVERY single thing you have and EVERY single day to this cause, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, you'll never have any regrets. You would have laid it all on the field. Nothing more can be expected and nothing more will make you more proud.

However, if you don't give everything you have to every day, to every workout, to every practice, then the rest of your life, you'll regret and be angry with yourself for not pushing it to the next level. It could be one missed work out. One practice where you don't go full bore. That alone (not injuries, not a mission) is why I failed and never became an athlete. It's something you live with everyday the rest of your life and the sad part is, it's something you CAN NEVER CHANGE.

So, bud, every day you look in the mirror and you remind yourself what your mission is. Every HS football player in the country is "working out" with his team, as you are. How many are killing themselves every opportunity they can. How many are killing themselves to get themselves better on every drill, every route, every lift. Who is the first person to the complex, the last one to leave. The one where you're being kicked out. Overtraining is bull shit. A 45 year old weekend warrior overtrains, not a 17 year old kid. I will promise to rest your legs appropriately, but you can kill yourself on your upper body. You can kill yourself on having a solid D1 upper body every single day.

You need to look for that opportunity to destroy yourself every day. You need to bring an intensity to the practice field and to the weight room that rivals no one. You need to outwork every single kid in this country. Trust me, in the end, you'll be more proud of your work ethic and your journey for self-improvement than anything else you ever accomplish on the field or at ND (even if it is a three time All-American).

You have a ton of support. Everyone (besides Brandon :)) want to see you succeed at Notre Dame.

However, like in Rocky, "you're going to have to go through hell to get there." But if you do, "you'll be the last one standing."

"This is your time Rocky. This is your moment. Don't let anyone take you away from your moment."

You have ONE shot at this Chris - Make every day, every practice, every work out count. If you do, the rest of your life, you'll be proud that you left everything you had on the field."

WOW! that is the truth!

Irish4Life09
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Best of luck to the young man...but am I the only person that does not understand why these kids do this?
I have no personal problem with the mormon religion at all...that's not my argument.
But I see this all the time.If this kid was planning on taking a mission trip, then why sign a letter of intent to a school, let alone go to a school and leave us high and dry?
I wish this kid luck...but feel this situation is just like a normal kid trying to get out of a commitment to go to another school.Maybe be a little more selective in recruiting.

FightingIrishLover7
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Best of luck to the young man...but am I the only person that does not understand why these kids do this?
I have no personal problem with the mormon religion at all...that's not my argument.
But I see this all the time.If this kid was planning on taking a mission trip, then why sign a letter of intent to a school, let alone go to a school and leave us high and dry?
I wish this kid luck...but feel this situation is just like a normal kid trying to get out of a commitment to go to another school.Maybe be a little more selective in recruiting.

I really don't know much about the Mormon religion or about the Missions, so I can't explain their intentions for leaving for the journey.

I understand that you're upset that he is leaving ND's already depleted secondary...

But remember this Religion, Family, and Academics all come before Sports.

Football can only take you so far in life.

Religion can take you throughout eternal life.

Best of Luck Chris, Can't wait to see you again.

D. Ling
07-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Short term... We're struggling in terms of DB depth.

Long term... ND continues to illustrate that faith, academics, and family actually do come before football and hopefully future prospects look at ND's support of Badger and see that ND is a 60 year committment and not just a 3-5 year football apprenticeship.

All the best to Chris and I look forward to seeing him play for ND some day.

NDinL.A.
07-13-2010, 12:45 AM
I wish this kid luck...but feel this situation is just like a normal kid trying to get out of a commitment to go to another school. Maybe be a little more selective in recruiting.

We do that...and say bye bye to the state of Hawaii and all of their mormons, and the rest of the mormons across the USA, and oh yeah, say bye to our best player, Manti Te'o. Not to mention say good-bye to who the guys at II called the most impressive freshman, Justin Utopo, another mormon.

The kid followed his religion, he didn't try to 'get out of his commitment' like the guys at SC or even the guys who have transferred from ND in the past. And if you read the comments from his mom about him wanting to come back in 2 years and be the best possible football player he can be at ND, then you'd see how ridiculous your comment about getting out of the commitment is. ND knew the risk of him going on a mission, and still took him. And he got acclimated to the school, loved his time here, and is looking forward to coming back.

Oh, and btw, having 24-25 year olds hasn't hurt BYU and Utah much, has it?

FightingIrishLover7
07-13-2010, 12:58 AM

By the way... Austin Collie went on a two year Mission while he was at BYU.... And he ended up doing alright after he got back from his mission.

Praytorian
07-13-2010, 01:00 AM
1st things first. Good luck Chris I wish you a safe and happy mission. Religion first.

2nd. How does this transpire into our recruiting numbers when we have limited scholarships available? (this is just a personal ? that popped into my head.)

Irish4Life09
07-13-2010, 01:07 AM
We do that...and say bye bye to the state of Hawaii and all of their mormons, and the rest of the mormons across the USA, and oh yeah, say bye to our best player, Manti Te'o. Not to mention say good-bye to who the guys at II called the most impressive freshman, Justin Utopo, another mormon.

The kid followed his religion, he didn't try to 'get out of his commitment' like the guys at SC or even the guys who have transferred from ND in the past. And if you read the comments from his mom about him wanting to come back in 2 years and be the best possible football player he can be at ND, then you'd see how ridiculous your comment about getting out of the commitment is. ND knew the risk of him going on a mission, and still took him. And he got acclimated to the school, loved his time here, and is looking forward to coming back.

Oh, and btw, having 24-25 year olds hasn't hurt BYU and Utah much, has it?

First of all my comment was not ridiculous.It is a personal opinion that I'm sure a lot of people feel similar on.
Let me repeat.I have no problem with the mormom religion, or on kids taking their mission trips.
The problem I have is them signing a contract to play football for a university and then right before their freshman season they say "you know? I think I'm gonna go off for 2 years and you're going to have to deal with it."
This kid knew his plans...and knew he wasn't going to play for a couple of years.They grow up with the knowledge that they will take these trips at this age.
Not only does this hurt our already struggling defense, but what a lot of you don't realize is that it hurts our recruiting from last year. This is a scholarship that could have gone to a kid ready to step in a possibly play right away,or within 2 years.
Now we have to sit back and wait for this kid to come back,if he even comes back to ND at all.

I appreciate the fact he loves the university, and is very religious.That is something very honorable.I just personally feel if you make a commitment like that you should stick with it in the manner and timeframe you said you would.

Praytorian
07-13-2010, 01:26 AM
This kid knew his plans...and knew he wasn't going to play for a couple of years.They grow up with the knowledge that they will take these trips at this age.

Hmm, they should really tell the coaches about these mormon kids taking trips. ...... What? Wait they already know it happens and still offer?
Come on now, these kids (according to the column on yahoo-wish I knew how to link) have to put in a request AND have to be accepted.
Your post did sound kinda off as well. Sounds like you don't want any mormons to be offered at all. I'm not a mormon but heck I was upset with what you wrote.

Pardon this kid's beliefs for getting in the way of your football.
Let me shut up now before I get really upset and banned. (if this didn't already do that)

Jason Pham
07-13-2010, 01:31 AM
First of all my comment was not ridiculous.It is a personal opinion that I'm sure a lot of people feel similar on.
Let me repeat.I have no problem with the mormom religion, or on kids taking their mission trips.
The problem I have is them signing a contract to play football for a university and then right before their freshman season they say "you know? I think I'm gonna go off for 2 years and you're going to have to deal with it."
Not only does this hurt our already struggling defense, but what a lot of you don't realize is that it hurts our recruiting from last year. This is a scholarship that could have gone to a kid ready to step in a possibly play right away,or within 2 years.
Now we have to sit back and wait for this kid to come back,if he even comes back to ND at all.

I appreciate the fact he loves the university, and is very religious.That is something very honorable.I just personally feel if you make a commitment like that you should stick with it in the manner and time frame you said you would.

I believe NDinLA was referring to your suggestion that Badger is using this to get out of his commitment. The LOI is an agreement that the player will attend the institution for at least one full academic year. Badger has every intention of coming back and playing football, thus fulfilling that commitment. Given this, I think the comparison between Badger who is going on a mission based on his religious obligation and a recruit trying to wiggle out of his commitment is highly arguable if not outright ridiculous.

Also, if I recall correctly, not every Mormon elects to go on a mission and not every Mormon goes on a mission at a set age. I believe it comes only after careful thought and discernment. So it isn't necessarily true that Badger knew he was going to do this.

Moreover, Notre Dame is familiar with having Mormon players on the team with such obligations and we recruited Badger, as well as Teo, Utopo and others fully aware of the possibility that they may elect to go on their missions. It's not like the staff was oblivious to the potential situation.

Finally, what would be the alternative? Not having these players committed at all? Pulling their scholarships if they leave? Yea, we'll miss him in the defensive backfield but the alternatives seem to me unreasonable and, really, against the standards valued by the university and its community.

NDinL.A.
07-13-2010, 01:34 AM

I appreciate the fact he loves the university, and is very religious.That is something very honorable.I just personally feel if you make a commitment like that you should stick with it in the manner and timeframe you said you would.

It is ridiculous to say he is trying to 'get out of his commitment'. Nothing could be further from the truth. We always talk about a '40 year commitment'...well, I guess as long as he does it in the 4 year time frame that fits our needs as fans right? Truth is, he said he loved his time here so far, his mom said he loved his time here, they both say he's coming back. So...how do you figure he's trying to get out of his commitment?

And again, BK knew the deal and the possibilities coming in. Mormons take missions. Some choose to do it while playing football, some choose not to. Would you have taken a risk on Manti Te'o? He was supposed to take his mission. I would, but iounds like you wouldn't take that risk. Now, that's not ridiculous, that might be your opinion. But it is ridiculous to say that he's trying to get out of his scholarship, when everything I've read points to the opposite.

As for hurting ND...he was going to redshirt this year. So that means we lose ONE year out of him possibly being a 2nd or 3rd string safety (and if you look at the depth chart, probably 3rd string). While it hurts our depth...is it really a killer? I don't think so. I look at it as us getting a 20-21 year-old redshirt freshman with 4 years eligibility left, with us having a 24 safety playing against much younger competition in the future. Not bad.

Oh, and if he were to transfer from ND, the NCAA changed the rule so that he'd have to take ANOTHER year off after he came back from his mission. Odds are, he's staying.

military_irish
07-13-2010, 01:38 AM
his decision should not affect anyone because at the end of the day football is nothing more than entertainment, his decision was based on his life and religion.

i commend him more than anything because he didn't let the lime light of playing at ND affect how he lives his life.

Good luck Chris and can't wait for you to get back on campus.

Irish4Life09
07-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Hmm, they should really tell the coaches about these mormon kids taking trips. ...... What? Wait they already know it happens and still offer?
Come on now, these kids (according to the column on yahoo-wish I knew how to link) have to put in a request AND have to be accepted.
Your post did sound kinda off as well. Sounds like you don't want any mormons to be offered at all. I'm not a mormon but heck I was upset with what you wrote.

Pardon this kid's beliefs for getting in the way of your football.
Let me shut up now before I get really upset and banned. (if this didn't already do that)

Does anybody read an entire post anymore? Or is it all done out of context?
A letter of intent is a signed contract.It's that simple.
I was just thinking about this....and it kind of makes me think of the Seantrel Henderson deal with USC.
Henderson knew there was a good possibility that sanctions would occur at USC,no matter what coaches told him.Nevertheless, he still signed with them, and them once sanctions happened he bolted. In this circumstance, Badger most likely knew he would take a trip early on in his collegiate career.
I'm not saying he is gone from ND.He may well come back,play for us, and maybe he'll be the greatest player in our university's history.
But just the simple fact of it screwing up recruiting from last year already makes me angry, plus it hurts this year's team.
Like I have said 50 times already congrats to him fulfilling his religious expectations.It would be nice if more of our country stood by religious beliefs,maybe our country would be in a better position(thats for another thread....)...but I do think we should be more careful with scholarships.I can guarantee you that Kelly didn't recruit this kid in the anticipation of him taking 2 full years off football, then at least another year to get back in playing shape to possibly play football.

Jason Pham
07-13-2010, 02:09 AM
A letter of intent is a signed contract.It's that simple.

A contract which has been voided in the eyes of the NCAA. The NCAA does not consider it binding if the recruit leaves to go on a church mission. Thus, the contract has not been violated.

In this circumstance, Badger most likely knew he would take a trip early on in his collegiate career.

As I said before, these things aren't set in stone. Teo, if i recall correctly, was considering going on a mission trip but does not believe he is so called at this time.

But just the simple fact of it screwing up recruiting from last year already makes me angry, plus it hurts this year's team.

Yes, we will be hurt in the secondary because of it. But I ask you this... what is the alternative? Should he not have committed to us at all? Should the staff not have given him an offer based on the possibility that a Mormon recruit might go on a mission? Should he consider his commitment to the football team more binding that his commitment to his beliefs? You are angry about it and suggest it could have been some other way but I ask you, what other way is there? Those I have laid out are completely untenable given the values of Notre Dame.

..but I do think we should be more careful with scholarships.

What are you suggesting? Blacklisting Mormons from our recruiting boards? Pulling scholarships for those who elect to go on missions? Again, this is ridiculous considering the religious institution behind the football team.

I can guarantee you that Kelly didn't recruit this kid in the anticipation of him taking 2 full years off football, then at least another year to get back in playing shape to possibly play football.

You can guarantee that? Teo went back and forth on the idea of going on a mission this coming year and in fact will continue to discern such a calling throughout his career at Notre Dame and, if not then, beyond. You don't think that alone would have given Kelly the idea that Mormon players at a spiritually charged school might elect to go on a mission? Again, it all seems a bit unreasoned to me.

IrishAddiction
07-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Good luck and God bless Chris on his mission. We will be praying for you as you go, and are excited to see the day when you return.

Irish.Ca
07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Chris is going on a mission and doing a very personal thing and going off to help someone, somewhere, somehow. He's bettering himself while helping others. Doesn't that sound like the sort of thing ND prides itself upon? Sounds like he is the RKG doing what they do best and he'll return older, wiser and stronger IMO too. Goodluck Chris, stay safe.

Go Irish!

Irish.Ca
07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Question, what ripple does this cause with our recruiting # this year? Do we get a scholarship back for two years and then lose one when Badger comes back (ie potential 5th year gets denied a 5th year). Does his departure tie up a scholarship for 7 year? 4 regular, 2 for mission, possible 5th year? If so, thats crazy!

BGIF
07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Question, what ripple does this cause with our recruiting # this year? Do we get a scholarship back for two years and then lose one when Badger comes back (ie potential 5th year gets denied a 5th year). Does his departure tie up a scholarship for 7 year? 4 regular, 2 for mission, possible 5th year? If so, thats crazy!

I addressed this in one of the recruiting threads, I think it was in the "Next To Commit" thread.

Two rules apply: 25 recruits maximum in a class, 85 scholarships total on the team. This class being recruited now is limited by the 85 rule. Depending on attrition there will probably be 20 scholarships, plus or minus, this year.

Yes, we get a scholarship back for two years. Since Badger won't be in school that schoarship can go to another recruit or a transfer, or to a walk on.

Scholarship are given out on a yearly basis, one year at at time according to the NCAA regulations. They are subject to renewal each year. That's how coaches like Spurrier can get rid of players who he feels doesn't perform to his expectations. He doesn't "pull" their scholarship he simply doesn't offer them another year. I've never heard of ND doing that. To the best of my knowledge ND has alway honored a 4 year commitment althought the NCAA.

When Badger returns, Kelly will have to adjust, IF ND is at a full 85 scholarships, through one less 5th year or recruiting one less in the ensuing classes.

Ben E.
07-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I addressed this in one of the recruiting threads, I think it was in the "Next To Commit" thread.

Two rules apply: 25 recruits maximum in a class, 85 scholarships total on the team. This class being recruited now is limited by the 85 rule. Depending on attrition there will probably be 20 scholarships, plus or minus, this year.

Yes, we get a scholarship back for two years. Since Badger won't be in school that schoarship can go to another recruit or a transfer, or to a walk on.

Scholarship are given out on a yearly basis, one year at at time according to the NCAA regulations. They are subject to renewal each year. That's how coaches like Spurrier can get rid of players who he feels doesn't perform to his expectations. He doesn't "pull" their scholarship he simply doesn't offer them another year. I've never heard of ND doing that. To the best of my knowledge ND has alway honored a 4 year commitment althought the NCAA.

When Badger returns, Kelly will have to adjust, IF ND is at a full 85 scholarships, through one less 5th year or recruiting one less in the ensuing classes.

Thanks for clearing that up for us again!

Irish.Ca
07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks

B est
G etter of
I nformation on
F ootball

jason_h537
07-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Chris will be leaving for his 2 year mission September 1st. Kid's going to Ecuador. best of luck to him and enjoy yourself because there are some beautiful places to see there as well

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I wish him the best.

johnnykillz
07-30-2010, 07:19 PM
I really hope Chris stays up on the weights. Bicycles are great cardio, but he's gonna need some anaerobics too...

Where's MBeckha when we need him? Maybe he'll go to Ecuador with this fine young lad.

NeuteredDoomer
07-30-2010, 09:00 PM
:) Maybe studying the mechanics of the 400 meter jog.

HereComeTheIrish
07-30-2010, 09:06 PM
:) Maybe studying the mechanics of the 400 meter jog.

I'd settle for lighting mofo's up in a local rainforest. Puts a little hair on your chest...

jason_h537
07-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd settle for lighting mofo's up in a local rainforest. Puts a little hair on your chest...

i just pictured some tourist in the rainforest and Badger comes running in out of nowhere and lays them out. Fueling the rumors of a strange white beats attacking people in the Ecuadrean rainforest

johnnykillz
07-30-2010, 09:15 PM
lol.

And then he blesses the poor individual, and asks them: Have you heard the story of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

Upon hearing about the religion, they quickly convert out of fear for the Badger, I mean the lord.

mgriff
07-30-2010, 09:23 PM

Gotta watch out which people he is lighting up in the forest, it could end up being some members of the drug cartels!

BGIF
08-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Insightful article on Chris and his commitment. For the Notre Dame family, Father Hesburgh's "God, Country, Notre Dame" has special meaning. Chris Badger walks that walk.

Badger leaving Notre Dame to serve mission | Mormon Times (http://www.mormontimes.com/article/16164/Badger-leaving-Notre-Dame-to-serve-mission)

Badger has prepared for his mission by doing missionary work in South Bend. Badger, along with fellow Mormon teammates Manti Te'o, Kona Schwenke and Justin Utupo, have been inviting curious teammates to attend an LDS family ward in the area. Badger has also spent time with the full-time missionaries at least every other week since January.

"Being a football player opened doors to talk to people you wouldn't otherwise and explain the church. Some of the people I talk with now probably wouldn't listen to me with a name tag," Badger said. "I have been able to talk to coaches and numerous other players about the church. Everyone has been really receptive of it. It's been a completely positive experience."

"It's been amazing. Everyone on the team has congratulated me. Many have said 'Wow, what a great decision to make,'" Badger said.

"I think they see the mission as a great opportunity to become closer to God and grow spiritually. ...

When he returns, he expects to pick up where he left off.

"I will kind of be a weird, old guy, but I expect to still be able to compete and play at a high level."

DirtySecret
08-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Sept. 1 Chris reports to go to Ecuador for 24 months..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ea-WWUzwXHE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ea-WWUzwXHE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

NDFANnSouthWest
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Great kid....

One thing about kids going to a mission and than coming back...they are more mature physically and mentally...he will be a 20 yo freshman and absolutly lay the wood!

TerryTate
12-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Saw an update from a poster on rivals

Chris is doing well. I think the whole experience has been a lot harder than he expected, but he's hanging in there. He's living in Cuenca, Ecuador which is in the southern mountains. Has a nice climate 70-75 year round, so the weather is nice. Stated its been rainy a lot so he says he's "walking in the rain and mud everywhere he goes it seems like." He lives in a rented apartment. Apparently not too bad, but says he wakes up bleeding from bed bugs.. States his food is pretty good. Luckily, he hasn't gotten sick. He's not able to work out a ton, but he's waking up at 5:30 every morning and works out for 45-60 min. He does heavy sandbags that he filled up w/ gravel, then we also sent a TRX suspension system and Tower 200 (those on the infomercials). Does a lot of ab/core/stretching stuff as well. States his weight is about the same, so thats good.

He's been doing a lot of service projects and has started a project of distributing supplies from Utah to a charitable hospital in Cuenca. He wrote home how he wants to major in Spanish and Peace Studies when he gets back to ND and maybe go into med school and do international medicine.

We send him all the updates about ND and CFB in general. He was super pumped to hear about how well Tommy came in and played. He roomed w/ Tommy that first semester, so was super excited to hear how well he played, as well as the other DBs.

He doesn't get much free time.. just Monday afternoons where he can email home for an hour. He gets to call on Christmas so he's looking forward to that.

I think the main thing he's learned is to be grateful for stuff he had. Part of that was his opportunity at ND. As a former 'never was', I always tried to explain to him how lucky he was to have the chance to have a scholarship to play football at ND. I don't think he ever grasped how fortunate he was. He got scholarship offers as a sophomore and ended up getting up offers to the main schools he wanted, so I think he took it for granted. He's always worked hard, but I imagine when he gets back that will go to another level. He's really missed playing and working out, so hopefully things work out after he's back.. Still planning on coming back in May/June of 2012. This was from his last email home:

"I'm excited for the habits im forming and how I'll be able to develop it after my mission with better effort and consistency, im in 100 % baby! I'm never complaining of a thing again in my life! ha ha"

tadman95
12-18-2010, 02:20 PM
That's good stuff. What an experience to build on. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

jmurphy75
12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I can't wait for Chris to come back, he's going to be so much more mentally ready and not afraid to work. Also the work he's doing is defiantly strengthening his core muscles, which will allow him to excel in his weight training when he gets back.

jason_h537
12-18-2010, 08:09 PM
good for him, cant get back soon enough

D-BOE34
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I just wanted to spark a little fire in yalls belly about a DB we have coming in. Correct me if wrong but he will be considered 2012 class? Start counting him in as a big get for DB/S this years pull of recruits folks.

Here is a little video that jut pumped me the **** up!

GoldenIsThyFame
04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I just wanted to spark a little fire in yalls belly about a DB we have coming in. Correct me if wrong but he will be considered 2012 class? Start counting him in as a big get for DB/S this years pull of recruits folks.

Here is a little video that jut pumped me the **** up!

I just tackled the fat lady walking past my office.

anarin
04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
the booms were placed perfectly haha

chris "head hunter" badger

aubeirish
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Besides, there is no doubt he is going to be a mature young man coming in.

BestBIrish47
04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I just tackled the fat lady walking past my office.

She thinks you are dating now

bert2834
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Easily my favorite highlight film out of any recruit ever!

D-BOE34
04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
YES SIR!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT! SAW SOMEONE ELSE POSTED HE WOULD BE BEACK NEXT SPRING SO HE WILL HAVE SOME EXTRA WORK PUT IN TO LEARN THE SYSTEM THEN DEMOLISH IN THE FALL!

NDinMich
04-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Thing that sticks out to me (other than the big hits), is what a good form tackler he is!

NDIrishlover3
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
He reminds me of tom zibikowski. Maybe it is just his build but when I see him I think of Tom. Also I love the nastiness that he plays with. It just seems like he is always trying to rip the others players head off

BGIF
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM

He shouldn't be counted in the Class of 2012 as he was already recruited AND signed in a previous class. He will count against the 85 team limit when he re-enrolls just as Julius Jones was off the roster for a year when he left school and then was counted once again against the 85 when he re-enrolled. Unlike Jones, Badger's year out of school will not count against the NCAA 5 year window to play 4 years. The NCAA freezes the clock on that 5 year period during missions.

And yes as someone mentioned Badger will be a more mature person than an 18 year old recruit. I'll venture he was probably more mature than most in his own class as well.

Before penciling Badger into the 2012 Depth Chart keep in mind that while on a mission he is committed to serving that mission 24/7. During his senior year he was working with a speed coach to trim his speed (he hits like Zibby but doesn't run like him). His physical training is not going to consist of daily 4 hour workouts in the gym in a supervised workout. I don't know if he's even permitted a hour run in daily mission routine. Regardless of what workout he's allowed and can fit in his schedule he won't be able to beef up like Julius Jones during his hiatus. Nor will be be able to watch film and study a playbook.

Badger will have a lot of work to do when he arrives back on campus to get back into academic life, to regain the Div 1 physical conditioning he had attained when he left for his mission, and to learn a new system. When commenting on Badger's performance in the next Spring Game we need to keep in mind he's been out of training for a year and will be a work in progress.

Bogtrotter07
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I am pro-Badger, but I have to tell you you: (he hits like Zibby but doesn't run like him). is no exageration, or understatement. I have doubted since his class signed that he had the speed to play D1 db. Linebacker, maybe, but with Spond, Shembo, Moore, Teo, Fox, Williams, Filer, Fleming, Rasaba, Councel, etc., I think he would be the last one finished with his sprint . . .

johnnykillz
04-21-2011, 09:14 PM
A 4.6 forty is nothing to gripe about. The right place at the right time means everything in secondary as a safety. Especially when you turn the lights out for receivers.

I can't wait to have Badger back. Does no one recall this kid's work ethic?

Ironman8
04-21-2011, 09:26 PM
A 4.6 forty is nothing to gripe about. The right place at the right time means everything in secondary as a safety. Especially when you turn the lights out for receivers.

I agree with you my man. Give me work effort, attitude and desire with good skills over great skills and none of the above all day and twice on Sundays.

DomeX2 eNVy
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
They have to walk or bike on their missions, so perhaps he is running sprints between houses to improve his speed.

On a related topic, could you imagine if Diaco became an Elder and took a mission? The whole world would be Mormon. (yeah, still going there :smilewink)

jmurphy75
04-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again there are some things that you just can't teach in football attitude, work ethic, toughness and presence on the field. Badger I believe has them all, most other things can be tought.

tadman95
04-22-2011, 04:53 AM
They have to walk or bike on their missions, so perhaps he is running sprints between houses to improve his speed.

On a related topic, could you imagine if Diaco became an Elder and took a mission? The whole world would be Mormon. (yeah, still going there :smilewink)

Excellent technique! Subtle but impactful!

Bogtrotter07
04-22-2011, 08:00 AM

I agree with everything you say, especially about the nature of the kid; but Torian Smith was a 5.03 forty, and Kerry Neal and Brian Smith were simillarly challenged at Dog. Our defensive secondary has had more than a few that have missed a half-a-step, in recent years. At that speed, how you move laterally, and your burst are everything. I am just saying, we will see.

Old Man Mike
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
BGIF is spot-on. Johnny, however, is also spot-on. Put those together and you have a mature young man with tremendous work ethic who needs some re-conditioning for the college game, but who will get there faster than almost anyone. I believe that he'll be a force by the end of his spring and certainly by the end of summer of 2012. His speed looks just fine to me, and added to what seem to be fabulous anticipation instincts make an "early arriving slobberknocker" in my view. The staff was praising Chris' readiness even before he left.

NeuteredDoomer
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Mormons (sorry...Latter Day "Saints") drive nice new cars. You might be thinking about Jehovah Witnesses on bi-cycles.. Or The 'People's Front of Judea' or their 'rivals' The 'Judean People's Front' (splitters!), the 'Judean Popular People's Front', the 'Campaign for a Free Galilee,' and the 'Popular Front of Judea'.

Oh wait, they rode donkeys back then.

True story: An apartment 20 yards away revolves young Latter Day Saint men on mission. All of them COMPLETELY have avoided me and looked away as I limped by. Yesterday, the two youngest members knocked on my door as I was about to head out to take care of bidness. We set an "appointment" for noonish today. Seemed like great, sincere young men. I will listen to them.

It may be a coincidence, but 3 out of 3 main Latter Day Saints I have met in natural life outside of "mission" have caused damage to my life. Mods. Delete this if you must.. I will report back after our meeting at noon. I truly expect great things to happen after our meeting. These new kids seem sincere. The previous 10 seemed hypocritical. I think word got out that I am the only ND fan in a 10 mile radius, and possibly the only one not involved with meth and dope, and they see hope. That rhymed.

But they did drive off in a brand new Chevy full size luxury car. I think they are trying to get a series going with ND. I think they think I am the ND athletic director. I am so sexy.

D-BOE34
04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
BOOM! Built that bridge wit butta!

Irish2015
04-22-2011, 12:06 PM
is anyone else worried about the fact that the kid hasn't played football in 2 years and it may take him a year or two to get into football shape again?

johnnykillz
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Of course.

That's why we rely on the fact he's the type of kid with work ethic.

He committed to us. With his work ethic, he knows what that means: His focus will not have allowed him to slip away to nothing.

Faith.

NDIrishlover3
04-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Also the ability to take good angles to the ball and make sharp cuts can mean a lot more than a forty time when you play safety

NCDomer
04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
He shouldn't be counted in the Class of 2012 as he was already recruited AND signed in a previous class. He will count against the 85 team limit when he re-enrolls just as Julius Jones was off the roster for a year when he left school and then was counted once again against the 85 when he re-enrolled. Unlike Jones, Badger's year out of school will not count against the NCAA 5 year window to play 4 years. The NCAA freezes the clock on that 5 year period during missions.

And yes as someone mentioned Badger will be a more mature person than an 18 year old recruit. I'll venture he was probably more mature than most in his own class as well.

Before penciling Badger into the 2012 Depth Chart keep in mind that while on a mission he is committed to serving that mission 24/7. During his senior year he was working with a speed coach to trim his speed (he hits like Zibby but doesn't run like him). His physical training is not going to consist of daily 4 hour workouts in the gym in a supervised workout. I don't know if he's even permitted a hour run in daily mission routine. Regardless of what workout he's allowed and can fit in his schedule he won't be able to beef up like Julius Jones during his hiatus. Nor will be be able to watch film and study a playbook.

Badger will have a lot of work to do when he arrives back on campus to get back into academic life, to regain the Div 1 physical conditioning he had attained when he left for his mission, and to learn a new system. When commenting on Badger's performance in the next Spring Game we need to keep in mind he's been out of training for a year and will be a work in progress.
You don't need hours or even an hour in the gym to stay fit and make gains. 30 minutes a day will keep him fit and muscular. Maintaining endurance and skill is another thing, though your endurance shouldn't suffer much if you're busting your butt that full 30 minutes.

NDinL.A.
04-22-2011, 11:37 PM
You don't need hours or even an hour in the gym to stay fit and make gains. 30 minutes a day will keep him fit and muscular. Maintaining endurance and skill is another thing, though your endurance shouldn't suffer much if you're busting your butt that full 30 minutes.

Yeah, but we're not talking about the fitness level of someone like you and I...we're talking about the fitness, strength, stamina etc of an elite college athlete needing to play at an elite level. 30 minutes a day won't cut it...or else the Paul Longo's of the world would be out of jobs.

Reminds me of the Baltimore running back who went to jail a few years back, Jamal Lewis. Everyone thought when he got out of jail he'd be able to bounce back right away b/c of the year off he had in jail resting his body as well as getting in great shape while locked up. Except this one reader of Bill Simmons who explained how the food in jail is so sh!tty and the workouts not nearly as intense as a pro football player needs, that it would take a full year for Lewis to get his body right. And that man was absolutely correct.

Of course, Badger isn't eating jail food, but I'm just saying, 2 years away from a true strength and conditioning program will take its toll on Chris and we'll have to be patient to allow him to get back into the swing of things. From everything we've read though, he is a worker and I have no doubts he'll put himself in the best position to see the field as possible...

IrishLax
04-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah, but we're not talking about the fitness level of someone like you and I...we're talking about the fitness, strength, stamina etc of an elite college athlete needing to play at an elite level. 30 minutes a day won't cut it...or else the Paul Longo's of the world would be out of jobs.

Reminds me of the Baltimore running back who went to jail a few years back, Jamal Lewis. Everyone thought when he got out of jail he'd be able to bounce back right away b/c of the year off he had in jail resting his body as well as getting in great shape while locked up. Except this one reader of Bill Simmons who explained how the food in jail is so sh!tty and the workouts not nearly as intense as a pro football player needs, that it would take a full year for Lewis to get his body right. And that man was absolutely correct.

Of course, Badger isn't eating jail food, but I'm just saying, 2 years away from a true strength and conditioning program will take its toll on Chris and we'll have to be patient to allow him to get back into the swing of things. From everything we've read though, he is a worker and I have no doubts he'll put himself in the best position to see the field as possible...

Don't know man... got a couple friends at BYU and they say it's all dependent on where you go for your mission. One of my friends ended up in Denver... if you're a football player you could do two full years of hardcore training there if you wanted no problem. My other friends got Ukraine and Norway. From what was described about his time in Ukraine (which included their ward getting robbed with him getting held up at gun point) it sounds like it'd be impossible to train effectively.

Mormons really focus on God and doing their work while serving their mission so training definitely is put on the back burner. But most people around the BYU program view missions as a plus because kids enroll for their freshman year (and often redshirt) then take two years off and can bulk up/train depending on location. By the time they come back into the program as "freshman" they've had 3 years of conditioning.

However, with Chris being in Ecuador, you're probably spot on and he has made no gains. But I'd also be surprised if he has "regressed" from HS shape much or at all. Because they really cut off entertainment and contact with the outside world there is not much to focus on in the off hours besides God and getting in shape.

D-BOE34
04-23-2011, 01:59 AM
First ... Is it true he will be back spring of 2012? If so we will get a real grasp of where he stands "athletically" ... (This I am not sure of and is very important)

To me, the way he played in high school, was complete instinct. He was able to move, cut, react and smash the person on the ball. Will he need some time to redevelop? YES! If he has spring to build on what he has naturally, I AM STOKED!

Do I think that after taking 2 years away from the game will hurt him? YES

He will bring his natural ability and full HEART into spring (if so) and make himself as good as he can be.

BTW ... Even if we don't see him till 2013, he will be mentally and physically more mature than any other redshirt. We all hold our say on incoming freshman because most, if not damn near all the time, need a year to develop. He will just add to the depth of our DB and become, I hope, a monster to match TEE and DARBY.

By no means do I say expect him to jump right in and be a playmaker/contributer. He will however bring another dynamic to the DB/S backfield that is much needed.

WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO THE TOP FOLKS! IF WE START TO FAIL NOW I AM CONVINCED WE WILL FAIL FOR A LONG LONG TIME!

...............BK is making me optimistic on the otherwise..............

Bogtrotter07
04-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Have any of you been to one of these third world countries? Um, guys – I have been following this thread, and the distinction I need to make finally dawns on me: The hope-filled cultish orthodoxy of the personality, gets in the way of the truth. I am susceptible to it. Lord knows I am guilty of it. Many mistake it for green Kool-aid. It is not just.

Have any of you been to a country like Ecuador? I bet 75 % of all people don’t even know what ocean it’s on, (if any.) If he is in a remote area, good luck! There are huge differences in climate there, but in remote areas, water needs to be brought in by truck. The people there are lucky enough to have a reasonable public health system, and developed resistance to the local bugs. But for us, with our first world intestines, good luck! Years ago when we went into places like this, after a few weeks, they would be treating us with all kinds of stuff, and I would still have still lost 20-25 lbs. And at that time, I didn’t really have the extra to loose.

My point is I acknowledge Chris for his mission and dedication, but in the meantime, we are bringing in some elite athletes, with much higher measurables than we have seen in recent years. Case in point, we have a kid named McCarthy who was first-team All-Ohio, Gator-aid player of the year, and just missed Mr. Football, and he has been eclipsed by a wealth of young talent like Austin Collinsworth, etc. What’s going to happen when Brown, Farley, etc., get on campus? And then Baratti, and his class?

Old Man Mike
04-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Badger's a different dude. His personal statements and those of his coach about never allowing anyone to be better prepared [mentally OR physically] than he is, indicate a personal trait which will get him back on the field quickly and with authority. This guy is all focus, probably even more so once the mission has further steeled him. He was elite before and he will be elite soon thereafter. We will be loaded with talent at Safety so even that eases his "stress" [which I'll bet will be nothing to him] about having to step in before every last thing is perfect.

BGIF
04-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Two day ago I posted about his missing two years of training and development and noted we should have patience with him when he plays in the 2012 Blue & Gold Game. He won't be there. He'll still be in Ecuador.

His two year mission started in September 2010 which raises a question of whether he'll be back in time for preseason camp. IF he isn't the NCAA will not allow him to play in a game until he goes through the NCAA mandated preseason conditioning. IF he arrives late he can still make up the conditioning but might miss a few games. If he's back when preseason camp starts he'll be ready per the NCAA to play. In any case he won't have 6 months of Longo and a training table to get back into Div 1 playing shape.

As for where he is in Ecuador, The Mormon Times in July 2010 reported he would be in Guayaquil.

Badger leaving Notre Dame to serve mission | Mormon Times (http://www.mormontimes.com/article/16164/Badger-leaving-Notre-Dame-to-serve-mission)

Guayaquil isn't a third world locale. It's a thriving port city with a metro population of over 3 million people (about 20% of the nation's population). Lots of seafood and ethic cuisine so his 195 pounds shouldn't suffer much (one way or the other). There's even a Mormon Temple in the city. So his living conditions shouldn't be rugged unless they reassign him over the Andes to Ecuador's Amazon Basin.

Chris was born in Nov 1991 so he'll be just shy of 21 when the 2012 season starts. He'll be one of the "old men" as a second semester freshman.

BCSorBust
04-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I lived, did work and research in Peru and Kenya for a while - still am in Kenya from the US actually. The bugs that cause GI symptoms are self-limiting illnesses that resolve within a week unless you take cipro which he'll certainly have and then it's 2-3 days. You may lose weight but you won't get the same bug twice and there is plenty of time to gain it back if you aren't jumping from place to place. I got sick a couple of times (got malaria once too which was MISERABLE) but if you stay in one place you develop resistance quickly. Even if he gets something serious, the things people are suffering from in places like he's going to be are treatable, the problem is the lack or treatment/access for the normal folk. He'll have health care which means he'll be fine - he also got his vaccines and hopefully is taking malaria prophylaxis (both of which I'm assuming). There will be plenty of food for him. I actually was never in better shape than when I was overseas because A) you walk everywhere, 2) there isn't as much of the english speaking tv programs and sports, video games, fast food, etc to distract you, 3) the local food is healthier than our food - pretty much can say that about any place in the entire world, D) the things to do to pass the time are work (aka his mission), read, and work out, that's really it. He'll obviously not be in football shape when he comes back but he'll be fine.

Actually reading what people wrote now I realize I agree more with the people who think he won't be ready than with the people who think he'll come back in amazing shape. He'll probably have great cardio when he comes back. Especially if he is at elevation like some parts of Ecuador (I think BGIF mentioned he's on the coast though). Probably won't be camp Longo shape. I was wondering about what BGIF said about when he was coming back too because I thought that he hadn't left until later in the year. We may seem him in 2012 but most likely won't see him until 2013. It's going to be a whole new team by then too. It's kinda crazy to think about and impossible to predict who will be the leaders of our team at that point when he comes back.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness.

choo choo
04-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Have any of you been to one of these third world countries? Um, guys – I have been following this thread, and the distinction I need to make finally dawns on me: The hope-filled cultish orthodoxy of the personality, gets in the way of the truth. I am susceptible to it. Lord knows I am guilty of it. Many mistake it for green Kool-aid. It is not just.

Have any of you been to a country like Ecuador? I bet 75 % of all people don’t even know what ocean it’s on, (if any.) If he is in a remote area, good luck! There are huge differences in climate there, but in remote areas, water needs to be brought in by truck. The people there are lucky enough to have a reasonable public health system, and developed resistance to the local bugs. But for us, with our first world intestines, good luck! Years ago when we went into places like this, after a few weeks, they would be treating us with all kinds of stuff, and I would still have still lost 20-25 lbs. And at that time, I didn’t really have the extra to loose.

My point is I acknowledge Chris for his mission and dedication, but in the meantime, we are bringing in some elite athletes, with much higher measurables than we have seen in recent years. Case in point, we have a kid named McCarthy who was first-team All-Ohio, Gator-aid player of the year, and just missed Mr. Football, and he has been eclipsed by a wealth of young talent like Austin Collinsworth, etc. What’s going to happen when Brown, Farley, etc., get on campus? And then Baratti, and his class?

very interesting post

NeuteredDoomer
04-24-2011, 12:19 AM
very interesting post

:)

SLCIRISH
04-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Safety and linemen are the positons that usually, return missionaries, excel at, the maturity cannot be undestated.

He should be in great shape seeing how he most likely is mountain biking all over his "territory".

I would wager he most likely beefs up, becomes a special teams player , a career back up, or moves to line backer.

BGIF
04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Special Teams is where he can make an impact early. He's going to have to work his way through the depth chart at Safety with little time to accomplish that.

As for bulking up to play LB, he'd have to add 50 pounds. ND LBs now run around 240 - 245. He probably has better instinct for pass coverage than Calabrese but keep in mind Badger's HS video that impresses was when he was 175. He's not going to look that way with an additional 70 of beef on those hooves.

And there's probably more competition for PT at LB than at S.

SLCIRISH
04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Special Teams is where he can make an impact early. He's going to have to work his way through the depth chart at Safety with little time to accomplish that.

As for bulking up to play LB, he'd have to add 50 pounds. ND LBs now run around 240 - 245. He probably has better instinct for pass coverage than Calabrese but keep in mind Badger's HS video that impresses was when he was 175. He's not going to look that way with an additional 70 of beef on those hooves.

And there's probably more competition for PT at LB than at S.

Great points, I bet he comes back around 200 pounds, or soon hits that mark upon his return. I dont think he has the speed to compete with what we are currently recruiting at safety, i think he could beef up, look up and down BYU and Utahs roster and you will see return missionaries bulked up and moved to different positons, but I think he will be a great player, he can hit, I seen him in person on numerous occasions, I dont think he will lose any speed with more weight.(but youre right not 70 pounds)

JDAtlanta
06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
This is one kid I am excited to see Luongo work with. I hope he is back in time for the upcoming season. I think he will be an outstanding special teams player. I had not thought of bulking him up to play LB, but that seems possible.

GoldenIsThyFame
08-17-2011, 05:41 PM
&ldquo;@ChiTribHamilton: Chris Badger may return early from Mormon mission, eyeing #NotreDame spring practice. Trib story: http://t.co/ofPUj5F&rdquo;

Old Man Mike
08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Interesting. If Kelly has solid affirmation of this, it could make a recruiting difference this year. I.e. one less DB necessary.

tadman95
08-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't he have been back next year anyway? I guess he will get the benefit of spring ball plus the training table and workout program.

Old Man Mike
08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
My Kelly comment was predicated on the thought that a springball-readied Badger would be more likely to be fit for duty than a summer-only Badger. May not make any difference in Kelly's mind, but....

jason_h537
08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Interesting. If Kelly has solid affirmation of this, it could make a recruiting difference this year. I.e. one less DB necessary.

I dont think it'll have an impact since they are focused on a 3rd corner, and you take Shaq regardless

Big23Head
09-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is the full article about Badger trying to come back:

Mission man Badger eyeing early Notre Dame return (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-08-17/sports/chi-mission-man-badger-eyeing-early-notre-dame-return-20110817_1_chris-badger-football-mission-religious-mission)

GoldenIsThyFame
10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
The return of Chris Badger, a freshman safety who left Notre Dame last September for a two-year Mormon mission, is apparently up in the air. Badger is in the second year of teaching in Guayaquil, Ecuador. He was expected to be available for the Irish at the start of the 2012 season.

“We’re not really sure,” Kelly said. “We’re going to take the bye week to kind of figure that one out. I haven’t had any contact and we’re really going to have to sit down and figure out what that situation is.”

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly talks injuries, personnel (http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Notre-Dame-coach-Brian-Kelly-talks-injuries-personnel-42988)

Buster Bluth
10-05-2011, 09:58 PM
So he may not want to play? Not want to play at Notre Dame? Kelly could probably put that scholarship up to good use if that were the case.

NDPhilly
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Tommy Schutt anyone?

ErieIrish13
10-05-2011, 10:20 PM
So he may not want to play? Not want to play at Notre Dame? Kelly could probably put that scholarship up to good use if that were the case.

If thats the case, Im not sure why he wouldn't. I took it more as they don't know when he's returning. Hopefully he shows up because he's a player.

Whiskeyjack
10-05-2011, 10:41 PM

It's when he comes back, not if, that's up in the air. Badger will need special dispensation from the Mormon church to cut his mission short and return in time for spring camp. No one knows if he'll get it.

Rhode Irish
10-05-2011, 10:47 PM

If thats the case, Im not sure why he wouldn't. I took it more as they don't know when he's returning. Hopefully he shows up because he's a player.

I think its definitely unclear what Kelly's quote means. I'm not sure if it was a bad job by the reporter in not explaining it fully or if Kelly was intentionally vague, but this is certainly a situation worth monitoring.

Whiskeyjack
10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
From an Eric Hansen article (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-notre-dame-football-recruiting-by-the-numbers-20111005,0,4174461,full.story) published today:

If safety Chris Badger still feels like ND is the place for him after he completes his two-year Mormon mission this spring, then the number becomes six under

Perhaps there is some doubt over whether Badger is coming.

IrishinSyria
10-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Do we even want him on scholly when he comes back? 2 years is a looong time to be off the field and- more importantly- off any sort of training regime.

tadman95
10-06-2011, 05:49 AM
The fact Kelly/staff haven't had any contact with him is a concern, especially since he was apparently trying to come in early a few months back. Since it's October, you would think the communication would be pretty solid at this point for a January enrollment.

Hope it works out.

ndfi78
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
His brother has repeatedly said on this very forum that he wants to come back to ND.

TerryTate
10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
From his brother on II:

Some where asking for an update on Chris....

He's doing well.

There was some question when he would be allowed to be released from his mission. The idea of trying to come back to catch the Spring semester was thrown out there and we tried to make it happen, unfortunately Chris didn't get approval to do that.

His official "release date" is still up in the air but worst case scenario, he'll still be able to report to ND in early June for summer.

Rules during mormon missions are pretty tight so he's not allowed to call anyone or email for very long. He does send weekly updates to the family and he cc's the player personal/rep at ND on those. I also know that he writes Coach Martin often to keep him in the loop.

In regards to working out, he's been working out each day by waking up an hour early (500 am). Mormon missionaries are worked like dogs.. He wrote in his last email about his daily schedule:

-up at 5 to workout.. get ready from 6-630, eat breakfast until 7, study language/Bible/Book of Mormon from 7-9, then they have to be out of the house doing service projects, helping members or proselyting until 9 at night. States he's never finished his day before 9 once on his mission. Then he tries and do 30 minutes of working out before bed at 1030.. They get 1/2 day a week "off" where is the only time to write home, shop, do laundry... Hasn't had a full day off in over a year (no vacation time, ect).. So its not like Tim Tebow posing with kids in the Phillipines during Spring break, it's fairly intense stuff...

He says he's doing sprints/speed training drills 4x a week, then the other times lots of abs/core, heavy sand bag, resistance training. He says he's dropped about 5-10 pounds and is at about 190 from 200 at his peak. He did say that his "abs never looked better!!"

In terms of transitions after mormon missions, its a legitimate concern by some. Following Utah/BYU kids closely and from a far, seems like everyone is different. For some, they're never the same. For others, it gives them time to blossom so to speak. I do know that Chris has done more out there in terms of trying to keep up than any of those guys. So we're optimistic.

Never once has he mentioned any other school. He talks about ND each week in his emails and how excited he is to get back to see his buddies on the team and to start training again. So he's 100% coming back to ND from every indication I've seen and has stated that repeatedly.

Each week he writes how excited he is to come back "and train 12 hours a day" and having been the main one through his football/training his whole life I've never seen him see as fired up and with such a chip on his shoulder to prove he can play at this level.. He wrote and said he keeps clippings on his mirror from the internet from a Florida St Scout forum that was ripping on him when they found out that Florida St offered a white safety from Utah early in the process and also other stuff that says he doesn't "fit" what ND is recruiting now (I send him that :))

He'll obviously have a long way to go coming back, getting in shape and fighting the depth chart, so we'll see. But he states he's learned a lot about committing oneself to a cause with 100% conviction and about truly working hard. He talks about weekly how much he misses football, the contact and camaraderie. So, you'll see a pretty hungry and motivated kid when he gets back, so will see how it all turns out.

ClausentoTate
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
6-1, 190lb safety with a great work ethic and a body that's two years more developed than the incoming freshman class... can't wait to have him! Also can't wait for Longo to get ahold of him and for him to have more than 1-2 hours a day to train.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Definition of RKG.

NDFANnSouthWest
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
There is a reason BYU players look so big...because they work their butts off while on thier missions. This kid will show up in June and turn heads...mark it.

Buster Bluth
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Great read. I think that settles it. That is some serious, serious effort too.

Does anyone else see the irony in going to a Catholic university after spending two years in Ecuador (I think it's like 97% Catholic) on a Mormon mission (i.e. converting a bunch of Catholics)?

phgreek
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
From his brother on II:

...this kid hit my RADAR because of ND...never really get too much into the locals because they are almost always BYU, Utah...

just watching and listening to him...I had a sense he was not the typical kid. He seemed much more calm, comfortable in his own skin, wiser...in a word mature.

I think he put way more into this decision than alot of kids who commit. I don't know how he'll turn out, but I think he has some good raw talent...I have no doubt he has poise and composure....yet he is very fierce.

One thing I am comfortable saying...based on his gifts and traits, he'll turn heads on special teams no matter what else he does his first couple years...can he punt?

BeauBenken
10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
From his brother on II:

Gotta love a man on a mission.

I didn't mean for that to be a pun or anything. lol I just really like that he is out to prove something. He is going to work his *** off and that is just awesome.

BGIF
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Do we even want him on scholly when he comes back? 2 years is a looong time to be off the field and- more importantly- off any sort of training regime.

I do. ND isn't Alabama. ND honors commitment.

BGIF
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
The fact Kelly/staff haven't had any contact with him is a concern, especially since he was apparently trying to come in early a few months back. Since it's October, you would think the communication would be pretty solid at this point for a January enrollment.

Hope it works out.

That's NOT a fact! Kelly noted "HE" hadn't heard from Chris. Kelly didn't mention any of the other coaching staff, faculty, administration, nor any member of the Badger family he might have gotten a second hand report from.

NDdomer2
10-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Notre Dame football: Johnson still possible for Air Force - southbendtribune.com (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/collegesports/notredame/sbt-notre-dame-football-johnson-still-possible-for-air-force-20111006,0,1277593.story)

IrishJayhawk
10-07-2011, 12:12 AM
There's also something to be said for a kid being 2 years older. He could be 24 years in his 4th year of eligibility. That could be an incredible asset as the general of the defensive backfield.

BGIF
10-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Notre Dame football: Johnson still possible for Air Force - southbendtribune.com (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/collegesports/notredame/sbt-notre-dame-football-johnson-still-possible-for-air-force-20111006,0,1277593.story)

The man is on a mission!

Grahambo
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Add him to the roster in the spring (free):

IrishIllustrated.com - Badger in line to return (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1301803)

"I think it'll still be kind of an uphill battle but overall he's worked out as hard as he possibly could out there," Troy Badger said. "He's 190 pounds. I think when he left he was 200. He should be able to put that on pretty quickly. Wind sprints, he's doing speed training three times a week and feels like he's maintained that. Improving that would that would probably be the main obstacle coming back"

Whiskeyjack
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Good news. Getting Badger in this spring will help with S depth. It also means he'll count as one of our EEs.

TerryTate
12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
He won't start until June, so he's not an EE.

Grahambo
12-02-2011, 12:16 PM
The article was saying he is cutting his mission down by about 4-5 months so he could make it back. I wonder if he will have time to crack the S rotation.

So, what would he be considered? A sophmore?

TerryTate
12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
He's a freshman...

May even redshirt.

Irish Fam
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Could be a special teams monster. I wouldn't want to meet a full speed Chris Badger while returning a kick.

Whiskeyjack
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
He's a freshman...

May even redshirt.

I'd be amazed if he didn't redshirt. Getting back into football shape after two years of not playing is no easy task.

aubeirish
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Like any freshman coming in, speed of the game and the football intellect is going to take some time to grasp. Though, I expect him to be very mature, and therefore, faster to adapt.

TerryTate
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I'd be amazed if he didn't redshirt. Getting back into football shape after two years of not playing is no easy task.

He would also be a matured 21 year old freshman with 4 years of eligibility. Watch his hit video. Don't think that he's not going to be in the mix year 2.

Offer List included:

Brigham Young
California
Florida State
Missouri
Northwestern
Oregon
Stanford
Utah

GoldenIsThyFame
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Just reposting as it was kind of lost in the shuffle:

Chris Badger "Big Hits" Highlights - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqUwfd6gp4Q&feature=youtu.be)

Won't let me embed for some reason

Old Man Mike
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Whoooo-eeeee. Liked it just as much the second time. Can't tell me that Boom Badger won't be upending people for ND.

Grahambo
12-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Wow.

I don't know the level of competition he played against but that video was great.

Great form tackling with power
Great instincts
Has some moves to him
Keeps his feet going

ndfi78
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Loved that video the first time I saw it, still do!