PDA

View Full Version : '10 GA WR Markeith Ambles (Transfer to Land of Dysfunctional WRs)

BGIF
06-20-2009, 11:37 AM
WR
McDonough GA Henry County

Ht: 6-2
Wt: 182
Forty: 4.47
Bench: 235
Squat: 350
GPA: 2.9
TEST: 18

COMBINE:
40: 4.47
Shuttle: 4.28
Vertical: 29

STATS:
53 catches, 933 yds, (18.7 ypc), 13 TD

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 4 Star, #7 WR, 6.0 Rating
Scout: 4 Star, #15
ESPN: 150 Watch List

OFFERS:
UF, ALAcamp, LSU, FSU, ND, UNC, UTN camp '09, ARK, AUB, CALcamp, CL, MIS, NU, ORE, SCA, UCLA, WVU, UK

DECISION: Tennessee 7/28

BGIF
06-20-2009, 11:45 AM
6/16 Jake Brown, IrishIllustrated.com reported Ambles cut his list to 16 and ND made the cut.

ESPN lists ND at #5

Ambles profiles list his time at 4.65, 4.68. He was timed at a Scout.com Combine in San Francisco at 4.47 which seems more in line with the various reports of his getting great separation from CBs at camps and being a deep threat.

He participated well at skill camps across the country.

He's visited Athens but UGA doesn't appear on his list of interests. GT does.

BGIF
06-20-2009, 11:49 AM
6/18 J.C. Shurburtt, ESPN

ESPN.com - Ambles out of the UA Game (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4269306&type=blogEntry)

Wide receiver Markeith Ambles (McDonough, Ga./Henry County) has had his offer to play in the 2010 Under Armour All-American game withdrawn and will not play in the game.

This isn't the first piece of bad news for Ambles this recruiting cycle. Southern California withdrew its scholarship offer earlier this spring and Georgia has not offered the talented receiver. Auburn also has elected not to recruit Ambles.

Ambles still has plenty of options in recruiting, though. He recently visited UCLA and several other West Coast schools and camped at Tennessee earlier this year.

Junkhead
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Is this dude a WR or QB like the headline says? Looks like WR...

IrishInFl
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
2.9 gpa and 18 on the act? Can he even get through admissions to ND? If thats the case, then I feel gyped for not getting in!

BGIF
06-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Is this dude a WR or QB like the headline says? Looks like WR...

WR

Mea culpa. Cut and paste template error.

I've added a note to clarify the Profile. I don't have access to correct the title.

BGIF
06-20-2009, 12:40 PM
2.9 gpa and 18 on the act? Can he even get through admissions to ND? If thats the case, then I feel gyped for not getting in!

I've seen considerably lower get in over the past 15 years.

Paddy Mullen had a 2.2 GPA in his senior year and was told the had to show significant improvement to get admitted. Mullen did and Admissions let him in.

Core courses are frequently the stumbling block at ND. ND has required 16 core courses at least back through the Holtz years while only a few other schools required the same. The NCAA requirement was 14. I think the NCAA now requires 16 also but the level of the courses, particularly math has been a problem. There was a big back that ended up at MSU whose father was P.O'd over ND's (Saracino's) lack of approval over concern he wouldn't be able to handle the math at ND without HS preparation. Walter Payton erupted over the same issue.

Also an "A" as some schools might be considered a "C" at others. Supposedly Admissions takes that into consideration when evaluating GPA.

Junkhead
06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
WR

Mea culpa. Cut and paste template error.

I've added a note to clarify the Profile. I don't have access to correct the title.

No big deal, thanks for keeping the recruiting info going strong!

notredomer23
06-20-2009, 12:57 PM
This is the most puzzling offer. He got his scholly pulled by Petey and UGA, rumors going around that Alabama pulled his offer, and even the slimeball himself may have. At this point, I have read Tennessee is the leader, but even the mods at the TN sites are leery of him

BGIF
06-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Some strange things with this recruit:

First he's a Georgian. He visits Athens but no offer for an obviously talented receiver.

Then I read that the Under Armour All-State game had rescinded his invitation to play there. That didn't raise an eyebrow to me as I thought he been selected to the U.S. Army AA game weeks ago.

I did a google search on this kid as something seems amiss.

Came across a UGA poster claiming UGA didn't offer as there are problems with his academic record. Hmmm, I didn't think anybody checked more throughly than ND. Keep in mind it's a poster on an internet board. He could be knowledgable or posting sour whine.

Then I come across this:

5/26 Rumor Markeith Ambles No Longer Has USC Offer.

TrojanNYC.com: Rumor: Markeith Ambles No Longer Has Offer from USC? (http://www.trojannyc.com/2009/05/rumor-markeith-ambles-no-longer-has-offer-from-usc.html)

Wow. Big rumor going around that SC and Florida have pulled their offers from Markeith Ambles due to off-the-field issues. Whatever went down must have been pretty big to have the two leading schools back out of the recruiting race. Very disappointing news since I thought Markeith was the best WR prospect we've offered so far in the 2010 class. Trojannyc.com

Again, a blog. There are quite a few similar to this including one having Auburn rescinding his offer. AUBURN and USC? rejecting a recruit. Boggles the mind.

I'll discount the blogs as many of them are circular reports simply regurgitating somebody else's rumor.

Blue and Gold shows Ambles with an ND offer.

But there does seem to be a paucity of info on the ND sites (articles, headlines) for such a talented Wide Receiver.

BGIF
06-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Markeith Ambles Visits West Coast

By Scott Schrader Senior Recruiting Editor
Date: Jun 8, 2009

USC offered Markeith Ambles a scholarship early in the recruiting process, but Ambles recently said in an interview that the USC coaches had informed him he was no longer being recruited by the Trojans. But that hasn't stopped Ambles from recruiting USC and last week he stopped by USC and spoke to the coaches.

Scout.com: Markeith Ambles Visits West Coast (http://usc.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=2&c=870598&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fusc.scout.com%2f2%2f8705 98.html%3frefid%3d400)

Not details of why but it's not a blog either.

notredomer23
06-20-2009, 02:46 PM
BGIF, I have read numerous rumors. One was a physical confrontation with at teacher. Another was sleeping with a coach's wife.

however, there should be no more issues because he has since transfered schools. Atleast lets hope so because if he were to commit to ND I would not want another Randy Moss situation on our hands

IrishInFl
06-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I've seen considerably lower get in over the past 15 years.

Paddy Mullen had a 2.2 GPA in his senior year and was told the had to show significant improvement to get admitted. Mullen did and Admissions let him in.

Core courses are frequently the stumbling block at ND. ND has required 16 core courses at least back through the Holtz years while only a few other schools required the same. The NCAA requirement was 14. I think the NCAA now requires 16 also but the level of the courses, particularly math has been a problem. There was a big back that ended up at MSU whose father was P.O'd over ND's (Saracino's) lack of approval over concern he wouldn't be able to handle the math at ND without HS preparation. Walter Payton erupted over the same issue.

Also an "A" as some schools might be considered a "C" at others. Supposedly Admissions takes that into consideration when evaluating GPA.

You do realize we're talking about a school in Georgia. right? It's no better here in Florida, but I did not go to school here, I went in Minnesota.

Anyways, why would ND pursue a guy with issues? Isn't that why we pulled the scholarship from Randy Moss?

WabashFalcon
06-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Too much of a thug for U$C??? The world is ending...

BGIF
06-21-2009, 12:59 AM
This is the most puzzling offer. He got his scholly pulled by Petey and UGA, rumors going around that Alabama pulled his offer, and even the slimeball himself may have. At this point, I have read Tennessee is the leader, but even the mods at the TN sites are leery of him

The rumors seem to be circular, Site A carrying the rumor, Site B repeating it, and Sit C "confirming the B rumor via Site A. Time will tell.

As for UTN, their coaches has a history of "altruisticly" offering prospects with baggage. Phat Phil would take a player whose home state pulled an offer for criminal activity.

If O.J. had any eligibility left Kiffin would have offered. If Castro cleans out his jails with another round of Marielitos, Kiffin will have a barge offshore Miami to check 40 times before ICE gets them.

BGIF
06-21-2009, 01:13 AM
BGIF, I have read numerous rumors. One was a physical confrontation with at teacher. Another was sleeping with a coach's wife.

And let's keep in mind they are rumors. Neither type of incident would seem likely to garner the approval of ND Admissions.

however, there should be no more issues because he has since transfered schools. Atleast lets hope so because if he were to commit to ND I would not want another Randy Moss situation on our hands

If there are indeed "character" issues I don't see how a change of school guarantees a change in character. You could spin the first case that a teacher might have overreacted escalating a situation. But I don't see remotely spinning the second situation into a positive at ND.

Back when the Moss misadventures took place I wondered if hypothetically a place like ND and mentor like Holtz might have been the positive influence in life he needed to get back inside the white lines.

BGIF
06-21-2009, 01:58 AM
You do realize we're talking about a school in Georgia. right? It's no better here in Florida, but I did not go to school here, I went in Minnesota.

My comment wasn't meant to be regional but rather to be generic. With a large database of applicants and students, admissions people today usually can figure out that Math 401 at ABC High School actually is "Introduction to the Hand Held Calculator for Jocks and Cheerleaders who need math credits" and an "A" in PreCalculus may be greatly inflated grade at that school.

My local HS had 47 Valedictorians two or three years ago. Obvious grade inflation, as attested by one of them who worked at a fast food joint telling a customer, "You'll have to wait for your change, the computer's down and I don't know how to compute change."

Anyways, why would ND pursue a guy with issues? Isn't that why we pulled the scholarship from Randy Moss?

Were they real issues or are they still rumors? IF real, where they known issues at the time of the offer?

I suspect something is amiss at ND as I only found one article about this kid under the byline of one of the services that cover ND. Overlooking sleepers happens every year. Not reporting on an offer to a Top 10 WR, nor following up on such an offer ...

As for Randy Moss there has been much debate over the years as to whether he was admitted or even had a valid offer. Back in '95 Saracino's predecessor was a guy named Rooney who was in charge of ND Admissions. The coaches at the time could not offer until Admissions said, "Approved". No conditional approvals. ND lost out on kids when other schools threatened to pull their offer and the kid had not yet been approved by ND Admissions. Relations between Holtz and Rooney were contentious.

Davie and Willingham both tried to improve relations with Admissions and did improve dialog. It's my understanding that Weis has gone even further as the assistant coaches have a much clearer grasp of what ND Admissions requires and utilize that knowledge by getting to recruits earlier in their HS careers so they can take necessary courses in their Jr and Sr years to meet ND's core course requirements. Weis isn't getting waivers that others didn't get, rather he's not wasting Admissions Staff's time with prospects that would never get admitted. The Admissions and Coaching staff work more closely to evaluate recruits sooner. It's one of the reasons ND is so insistent about getting kids on campus before official visits so the kid can meet with Admissions and professors to confirm they're prepared to take on the ND academic workload.

Many ND fans know that Moss was reported an ND Signee on LOI day that year. Then was lost. He wasn't the only one. There was a 5 Star RB that ended up at Miami because he could not get in ND. I don't recall that happening since.

jason_h537
06-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Many ND fans know that Moss was reported an ND Signee on LOI day that year. Then was lost. He wasn't the only one. There was a 5 Star RB that ended up at Miami because he could not get in ND. I don't recall that happening since.

Moss wasnt admitted because of grades. He had his scholarship taken away after he and some freinds jumped a guy and was arrested for assault. It was on Sportcentury i think. They had this whole episode about how it was a dream of his to play for Notre Dame and after he lost that chnace he stopped caring. He redshirted at Florida St but was kicked offthe team when he failed a drug test because he was serving perole for the assault. That is how he ended up at Marshall.

Ricochet
06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
If I remember correctly Moss and some other guys beat the crap out of a guy(s) at a bowling alley. The beating was race related as the guy(s) were calling them N*gg*r's.

I don't believe it was just that though, I think there were some incident with weed as well. I know weed was the reason he didn't get into F$U and ended up at Marshall but I'm pretty sure it was more than the fight/jumping that happened.

BGIF
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Moss wasnt admitted because of grades. He had his scholarship taken away after he and some freinds jumped a guy and was arrested for assault. It was on Sportcentury i think. They had this whole episode about how it was a dream of his to play for Notre Dame and after he lost that chnace he stopped caring. He redshirted at Florida St but was kicked offthe team when he failed a drug test because he was serving perole for the assault. That is how he ended up at Marshall.

That may be the Sportcentury spin about an NFL Superstar ...

As I wrote earlier back then ND's head coach did not have the harmonius working relationship Weis and Saracino have today. "Scholarships" needed Admissions approval first. Admissions was not happy with some recruits during the Cerrato era. Vinny was gone but Admissions made Holtz toe the mark. Seems transcripts were late arriving at Admissions. Alledgedly trying to force the situation. That wasn't the way it worked. Without Admission approval there was no scholarship in the eyes of the ND Administration. At ND the student in student-athlete came first.

In '95 two recruits Moss and I think James a RB that ended up at Miami, sent in LOIs but they had not been approved by Admissions. This wasn't an SEC team waiting until reporting day to see if they can raise their grades. They had not been approved. Neither had the academic creditentials required for Admssions. End of ND story.

The circumstances of the fight would have been a problem had he been admitted.

Holtz called Bowden to ask if he could fit him in. That's how he got to FSU. They took him with an understanding. He disregarded that when he went one toke over the line and ended up with the Herd.

BGIF
06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
If I remember correctly Moss and some other guys beat the crap out of a guy(s) at a bowling alley. The beating was race related as the guy(s) were calling them N*gg*r's.

I don't believe it was just that though, I think there were some incident with weed as well. I know weed was the reason he didn't get into F$U and ended up at Marshall but I'm pretty sure it was more than the fight/jumping that happened.

Again, there was a "fight". His overzealousness in the fight was the issue but again it wasn't the reason he wasn't admitted to ND. He never cleared ND Admissions.

His weed incident was at FSU where he was admitted after Holtz asked Bowden if he would take him.

BGIF
06-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Anybody got any info on Markeith Ambles?

jason_h537
06-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Nope, i don't know a thing about him, but he sounds iffy

BGIF
06-22-2009, 02:14 AM
... he sounds iffy

with a capital "I"

WabashFalcon
06-22-2009, 03:12 AM
with a capital "I"

Iffy is just Jiffy with a "J". Great for sandwiches. And amusing pranks/erotic activities with doggies. The Internet told me so.

GO IRISH!!!
06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Too much of a thug for U$C??? The world is ending...

Maybe they pulled the scholly because he wasn't actually "convicted" of anything. Maybe they questioned his work ethic for not doing enough to secure more "street cred".

NDinL.A.
06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Maybe they pulled the scholly because he wasn't actually "convicted" of anything. Maybe they questioned his work ethic for not doing enough to secure more "street cred".

Well played bro...reps!!!

BGIF
07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
7/28 Per Tom Luginbill ESPN

Ambles also considered Alabama, California, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, UCLA and Notre Dame. Among many others were West Virginia, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina and Tulsa. ESPN's Billy Tucker added, "Ambles is a major get for Tennessee as Kiffin has landed another future game-changer on offense to team up with ESPN's No. 2 running back from 2009, Bryce Brown.

"Having just watched Ambles work out at Florida's Friday Night Lights camp, its hard not be impressed with the physical tools and skill-set he brings to the table as a receiver. His fluidity and athleticism for a taller wideout may be unparalleled in this year's talented receiver class; could make an immediate impact in Knoxville as a redzone player with his jump-ball skills. Aside from his great pass-catching skills, Ambles has plenty of speed to threaten a defense vertically as a route runner and after the catch with ball in his hands. This kid is savvy as well in terms of knowing the position which should only assist his chances of making an immediate impact for Tennessee." As a junior, Ambles caught 53 passes for 993 yards (18.7 average) and 13 touchdowns. He also returned a kickoff and two punt returns for touchdowns.

WabashFalcon
07-29-2009, 12:18 AM
7/28 Per Tom Luginbill ESPN

And Lane Kiffen isn't doing anything to improve the image of a once spotless Vols record... THUG LIFE!!!

BGIF
07-29-2009, 12:54 AM
And Lane Kiffen isn't doing anything to improve the image of a once spotless Vols record... THUG LIFE!!!

Once spotless ? Surely you jest?

I don't know if they could say that under General Neyland. Johnny Majors wasn't a candidate for sainthood. Phil Fulmer signed a convicted sex offender that had verballed to UGA but UGA dropped him after his offense.

WabashFalcon
07-29-2009, 01:21 AM
I know... it is hard to communicate sarcasm via board posts my brother!

tko
07-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Ambles is strong Fulmer cup candidate.

NDinL.A.
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
According to the SC boards, he committed to SC.

Wow, Pete and urban Liar turned him down, but he's good enough for ol' Kiffy boy. Wow...

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
they already have Woods and Prater, certainly didn't see this coming. Rich get richer

BGIF
01-25-2010, 06:32 PM
According to the SC boards, he committed to SC.

Wow, Pete and urban Liar turned him down, but he's good enough for ol' Kiffy boy. Wow...

USC boards have had it up since 10am. It's now 5:30 and neither Rivals, Scout, nor ESPN have it.

I Dont Miss Charlie
01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
USC boards have had it up since 10am. It's now 5:30 and neither Rivals, Scout, nor ESPN have it.

Thats because its not true.

Ambles is leaning towards USC right now but that final decision wont be made until NSD after he takes his LSU visit.

Ambles is a knucklehead, hes not a kid whos going to go around campus robbing people but his attitude will get him in trouble with his teammates and coaches. Markeith thinks hes some amazing player and even recently he had a ustream where he said he wouldnt go to Alabama because he cant get enough catches or something to that effect.

Big23Head
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
USC per ESPN

Tate the Great
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't know if anyone posted this, but nonetheless it is hilarious. Enjoy everyone and hopefully you guys think we can beat the "trogans" next year

12:32 p.m. -- Ambles' first lesson
Lane Kiffin's first assignment after he finishes signing this class is to teach receiver signee Markeith Ambles how to spell Trojans.
Tuesday, Ambles tweeted this: "@mARKEITHAMBLES: who will i be tomorrow a vol, trogan, or tar heel!!!!!!"
I chalked that one up to tiny mobile phone keys or touchscreen issues. After all, the G and the J are separated only by the H on a standard QWERTY keyboard. But when Ambles tweeted Wednesday about his decision, I began having doubts. At 12:13 p.m. Wednesday, he tweeted this: "@mARKEITHAMBLES: Go Trogans!!!!!!"
Wow, Kiffin works fast. At 12:24 p.m., Ambles tweeted this: @Markeithambles: "Trojans"

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Thats funny

Polish Leppy 22
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
HA

IrishLax
04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Now a Houston Cougar.

GBdomer
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Kid is nuts

Him and Greenberry should be a good duo

Irish Houstonian
04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Now they just need a QB. Well, that and a stadium.

Me2SouthBend
04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Now they just need a QB. Well, that and a stadium.

And maybe a fan base.

Rhode Irish
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM
And maybe a fan base.

Let's not get carried away. One thing at a time.

Bluto
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Didn't Houston lose to that fake team from that movie starring that guy who jumped through time on that one TV show?

4irishnation
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Loved Quantum Leap!!!!!!

Irishnuke
04-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Phi Slama Jama bitches!

BGIF
04-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Football: UH lands former USC product | Cougars | a Chron.com blog (http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2013/04/football-uscs-troubles-could-be-uhs-treasure/)

4/8/13

Ambles will join the Cougars this summer and be eligible to play immediately. He will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Last season at Arizona Western, Ambles had a team-leading 44 receptions for 757 yards and six touchdowns.

“We did a lot of research on him as a person, student and athlete,” UH coach Tony Levine said. ...

dublinirish
04-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Texas State vs Houston was one of my fav games of all last season...it was amazing to see them crumble so easily.