PDA

View Full Version : '10 CA DE Justin Utupo (Notre Dame Signee)

jason_h537
06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Defensive End
Lakewood, CA; Lakewood HS

Height: 6-2
Weight: 240

Ranking
Rivals: :s::s::s:; Defensive Tackle (62); Rating 5.7
Scout: :s::s::s:; Defensive Ends (50)
ESPN: :s::s::s:; Defensive Ends (73); Grade 77

Statistics
Junior: 70 Tackles (47 Unassisted); 6 Sacks
Senior: 16 Sacks, 29 TFLs, 4 Forced Fumbles

Honors
Offense-Defense All-American Bowl
Los Angeles Times 2009 Lineman of The Year

Offers
Notre Dame (OV 9/5, Verbal; 7/6; Brian Polian)
Arizona
ASU
BYU
Colorado
KSU
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma State
Oregon State
San Diego State
SMU
UCLA
Utah
Washington
Washington State

BGIF
06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I was looking at him as a DT due to his height. His ESPN evaluation notes he plays DT in high school but he's out of position. They think he's a DE at the next level.

I don't know his level of competition but he has 78 Tackles and an amazing 30 TFLs with 10 Sacks. Almost 40% of his tackles were behind the line of scrimmage.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
06-02-2009, 04:16 PM
He plays in a pretty good league with strong competition. Lakewood is in Southern California so there are a lot of good teams. He plays on the same team as Jesse Scroggins (QB) and Dion Bailey(DB), two players ND are heavily looking at.

BGIF
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
He plays in a pretty good league with strong competition. ...

Which makes those TFLs look awesome.

jason_h537
06-02-2009, 11:20 PM
He plays in a pretty good league with strong competition. Lakewood is in Southern California so there are a lot of good teams. He plays on the same team as Jesse Scroggins (QB) and Dion Bailey(DB), two players ND are heavily looking at.

The Scroggins ship has sailed but i would not be surprised if we land Bailey. Wewill get either Bailey, Dietrich Riley, or Sean parker. With a strong season maybe even two

Irishlew
06-03-2009, 12:11 AM
He said the Irish are up there near the top of his list along with Arizona, Washington, UCLA and Utah.

also he's Mormon, and he had concerns with ND at first. He is aware of Manti and also Polian made him feel at ease

jason_h537
06-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Grew up a Utah fan

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Committed to Notre Dame this morning Rivals has the story

IrishInFl
07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Notre Dame is a Catholic university, right? We go from never having a Mormon commit for us to 3?

BGIF
07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Notre Dame is a Catholic university, right? We go from never having a Mormon commit for us to 3?

They're on a mission from God!
Elwood

irishfan
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Utupo picks ND - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4309231&name=West_Recruiting)

Lakewood (Calif.) defensive lineman Justin Utupo has ended the recruiting process and is headed to South Bend.

I just committed to Notre Dame," Utupo said. "I've never been there before I've always wanted to go to Notre Dame. That has kind of been my dream school so once they offered, it was really only a matter of time.

"When I was younger, I watched that move Rudy and ever since then, I wanted to go there, even if I couldn't play football there, I just wanted to go to school there. Now to have this opportunity to go and be a part of the program, I'm just really excited about all this."

Utupo said he got the offer from the Irish about two months ago and has been doing research on the school with his parents ever since.

"My dad was especially in to Notre Dame," Utupo said. "He liked them a lot and the more research we did, the better it looked. I know it might be cold but it will be worth it to be at the school and get a great education. I knew they picked up a couple of other defensive ends as well so I didn't want to risk losing my spot there so I thought now was the best time to commit.

"UCLA was right there too and I also liked Washington, Oregon State and Nebraska. Those were the main schools I looked at but Notre Dame just had too many pluses. I called up Coach Polian this morning to commit and he was really excited and that made me feel good. I won't be taking any other visits except to Notre Dame, my commitment is strong and this is a great day for me."

JeremyND07
07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Another 3star recruit...sorry if I do not get too excited. I know I know...stars do not mean anything but I just wish these 3stars were fillers for this class not the foundation!

BGIF
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
His last name is spelled Utupo.

Only 1 "o".

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
3 star recruit with 4 star potential so stop kncoking the kid. He is a bit of a tweener DE/DT but can play. Did not see him coming to ND at all, didn't even know he was a fan. Very surprised but excited for him as well. Good luck at Notre Dame Justin. Go Irish

IHateMarkMay
07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Its spelled Utupo on rivals and Utopo on Scout. Who knows who is right?

The Polish Irishman
07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
He is quick off the ball and has good strength. Excited to have another Irish!

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
ESPN and B&G have it at Utupo

NDinL.A.
07-06-2009, 02:42 PM
This is a shocker! This literally came from left field. I haven't even looked at his film yet or anything, so I'm interested in learning more about him. He's not too far from my home so I'll look at his schedule and try to get out to watch him.

And Jeremy, I feel you about 3*, but this is how recruiting classes are filled out bro. Look USC's classes, they have plenty of 3* guys, including this year. For us, the 5 * guys are waiting to see how we do this year. If this kid's a playa, and the staff certainly feels he is, it's a great get. Let's welcome him first, and let's get some more info. The satff wanted him, so I'm excited to get this kid. Hopefully he pans out...

EDIT: Even better, he's a solid, solid commit, who's coming to ND for the right reasons. His family is behind the decision, and HE FITS A POSITION OF EXTREME NEED...D-LINE! ND has been sorely lacking in recruiting this position in comparison to the top schools (i.e. USC, FL and Alabama, all of whom have signed 14-15 D-linemen over the past 4 years, while ND only signed 9).

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Notre Dame does'nt come to Cali to recruit shit players. Just look at who we have gotten from the state under Weis and who we have offered.

BGIF
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Rankings
Rivals: 3 Star, NR SDE, 5.5 Rating
Scout: 3 Star, #48 DT
ESPN: 77 (a grade of 80 makes the ESPN Watchlist)

The ESPN evaluation notes that he plays DT in high school but is a likely DE in college. They like his abiltiy to deal with blockers, strong tackler, and good push. They point out if he develops he could be a swing man.

Last year he had 78 tackles, 30 TFL, 10 sacks. Almost 40% of his tackles were for a loss. TFLs were a glaring sign of ND's lack of penetration last season. If he and Mendoza develop his body, he could fill a role like Ethan Johnson does now on the DLine, either inside or outside.

loweND
07-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Does anybody remember when he was offered. It was some time ago right? Maybe this is a guy who doesn't have a lot of stars, but was still part of the Plan A group.

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 03:00 PM
No i believe he was offered during the 2nd evaluation period. Got his along with Dion Bailey's i believe. He is very similiar to TJ Clemmings, maybe not the physical specimen Clemmings was, but certianly a similar type of player with better technique

NDinL.A.
07-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Does anybody remember when he was offered. It was some time ago right? Maybe this is a guy who doesn't have a lot of stars, but was still part of the Plan A group.

He was offered only a couple of months ago.

He knew that the position was filling fast, with Martin and Leuders already committed. But what does this say for the rest of our D-Line class? Is it bye bye Chance Carter? I think you can pretty much close the book on him. And then with Beau Allen and Gaston, I think we'll take the first one who commits, and Gaston has said he'd be visiting this weekend. And then I think we'd save spots for Nix and/or Smith, if we can get them into the fold. That would round out one helluva defensive line, in a dream world, that is. Smith has recently said he will visit ND, and I can't imagine 2 5-star studs in Martin and Smith rushing the QB side by side for 3-4 years together at ND. Damn!

ndftbl
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Another 3star recruit...sorry if I do not get too excited. I know I know...stars do not mean anything but I just wish these 3stars were fillers for this class not the foundation!

Remember, he is not just a three star, he is the lowest possible 3-star, at 5.5

To give you a feel, both Turkovich and Duncan were Rivals' 5.5 players (or, translated, C+ Div 1 players), and both struggled mightily, at least until their final season.

The Rivals system basically works this way, with a 6.1 athlete meaning a can't miss superstar. 6.0 and 5.9 athletes are also considered can't miss.

6.1 = 5-star = A+

6.0 = 4-star = A
5.9 = 4-star = A-
5.8 = 4-star = B+

5.7 = 3-star = B
5.6 = 3-star = B-
5.5 = 3-star = C+

etc.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Welcome Justin! Go Irish!

BGIF
07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Its spelled Utupo on rivals and Utopo on Scout. Who knows who is right?

That why I checked his H.S roster before posting the spelling.

Pinoy QB
07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Dang!!! you guys are strait up killing the kid's confidence. Hey I played Football with lots of Samoans in Carson High. They play with passion & heart I tell ya, may not be fast but when they hit ya watch out. Unleashed the beast.

Jason Pham
07-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Profile updated.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
He also has been doing a lot of camping this summer and has seen his stock do nothing but soar. While I understand the lack of excitement for someone who doesn't have the same hype as Leuders or Martin, I can guarantee this kid has faced tougher competition in high school and his ranking should only increase if he has a strong senior showing.

Pinoy QB
07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/45CQhAF40LY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/45CQhAF40LY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

OCIrish
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/45CQhAF40LY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/45CQhAF40LY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Uh, what?

Pinoy QB
07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
sorry forgot how 2 post video

BGIF
07-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Remember, he is not just a three star, he is the lowest possible 3-star, at 5.5

Could that be because he plays DT in HS but is projected at DE in college?

I don't confuse him with the premiere HS DTs or DEs but 30 TFLs and 10 Sacks aren't the marks of a mediocre player, are they?

To give you a feel, both Turkovich and Duncan were Rivals' 5.5 players (or, translated, C+ Div 1 players), and both struggled mightily, at least until their final season. ...

I agree with your description of Rivals rating system but don't think Turkovich, Duncan, or any other ND OL is a suitable example. Sam Young has struggled mightily as have Wenger, Stewart, and Olsen to name a few. I can't cite an ND OL that has dominated be it due to their individual effort, OLine Coach, style of play, actual play selection, rookie QB, or indecisive RBs.

Duncan played as a backup his freshman and soph seasons, started 12 games as a Jr and did not play do to a hip injury his senior year. '09 is his final season and he got solid reviews in Spring Ball.

OCIrish
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
It's ok, I don't know either, just having fun. I'm somewhat excited about this kid. Is he really Samoan? If he is, that's really cool. I've wondered why we haven't gone after some of the Poly kids, I mean, I've watched them play with Southern Cal, Washington, Oregon, and so on, they've been pretty damned good from what I've seen, now I'm glad we have Justin. I'm not worried about the stars that he has, in all honesty, he's not going to be counted on to come in and compete for playing time his freshman year, he'll get time to develop and grow into a DT, if that's what happens. Nice pickup IMO.

NDinL.A.
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
It's ok, I don't know either, just having fun. I'm somewhat excited about this kid. Is he really Samoan? If he is, that's really cool. I've wondered why we haven't gone after some of the Poly kids, I mean, I've watched them play with Southern Cal, Washington, Oregon, and so on, they've been pretty damned good from what I've seen, now I'm glad we have Justin. I'm not worried about the stars that he has, in all honesty, he's not going to be counted on to come in and compete for playing time his freshman year, he'll get time to develop and grow into a DT, if that's what happens. Nice pickup IMO.

Not only is he Samoan, but he's a Mormon as well, like another poster stated, that's 3 Mormons committed to the nation's premier Catholic University football program. Quite impressive. The Te'o commit continues to reap benefits. There's word on other boards that Te'o actually talked to Utupo, but that could be just Internet rumor. Still, the more I read about this kid the more I like. He'll add depth, and as he gains weight he could be quite a player for us by the time he is an upperclassman. And like my Cali friends were saying, the Moore League is no joke. They play Long Beach Poly, one of the premier schools in the country, and teams like LB Wilson and LB Jordan have a ton of talent as well. 10 sacks against that competition is nothing to sneeze at...

ndftbl
07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Dang!!! you guys are strait up killing the kid's confidence. Hey I played Football with lots of Samoans in Carson High. They play with passion & heart I tell ya, may not be fast but when they hit ya watch out. Unleashed the beast.

If the kid is a stud, he will be just that much more determined to prove Rivals wrong. If he is lacking in confidence just because Rivals rates him a 5.5, however, I have serious concerns.

And if he is lacking in confidence because of comments any of us jokers make, then I am REALLY concerned!

ndftbl
07-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Could that be because he plays DT in HS but is projected at DE in college?

I don't confuse him with the premiere HS DTs or DEs but 30 TFLs and 10 Sacks aren't the marks of a mediocre player, are they?

I agree with your description of Rivals rating system but don't think Turkovich, Duncan, or any other ND OL is a suitable example. Sam Young has struggled mightily as have Wenger, Stewart, and Olsen to name a few. I can't cite an ND OL that has dominated be it due to their individual effort, OLine Coach, style of play, actual play selection, rookie QB, or indecisive RBs.

Duncan played as a backup his freshman and soph seasons, started 12 games as a Jr and did not play do to a hip injury his senior year. '09 is his final season and he got solid reviews in Spring Ball.

Thought I said they both had good years their last season at ND. But I DEFINITELY agree with your comments re our other OL, and especially Sam Young, and I also agree that finally getting some real coaching is going to make a major difference.

nd1988
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Forget the stars boneheads.......We'll take him!! With open arms..

BGIF
07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Another Polian verbal.

MattDMB72
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
John Carlson
Jeff Smardizja
Chinedum Ndukwe
Ryan Harris
Darius Walker
Mo Crum
David Bruton
Kyle McCarthy

What do they all have in common, 3* players (according to rivals) who all turned into really solid players for us. Evidently the staff sees something good in this kid, so I guess stars don't really matter all that much.

Z-Bo
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
John Carlson
Jeff Smardizja
Chinedum Ndukwe
Ryan Harris
Darius Walker
Mo Crum
David Bruton
Kyle McCarthy

What do they all have in common, 3* players (according to rivals) who all turned into really solid players for us. Evidently the staff sees something good in this kid, so I guess stars don't really matter all that much.

Ryan Harris was rated by Tom Lemming the #1 OL prospect in the country, IIRC. Dude had his own show on MTV, too.

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Ryan Harris was rated by Tom Lemming the #1 OL prospect in the country, IIRC. Dude had his own show on MTV, too.

Yeah i was pretty sur Harris was rated higher, but still nice post Matt. Lemming had an MTV show?

Z-Bo
07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
no. Ryan Harris did. It was about he wanting to get into politics but also play football. Training to get in shape for freshman year, etc.

BostonND
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Give me a break. I'll take the guy who produces over the guy with "freakish athleticism" who somehow doesn't turn that athleticism into tackles. This guy plays in a good league, as a DT no less, and put up great numbers. We all know that we need bodies on the defensive line, and we all know that guys with flexibility are good, and this kid gives us both. Also, he seems like a GREAT kid, the kind of kid we want representing Notre Dame, and you're gonna disparage him because of the f***ing recruiting sites. You don't think the coaches know what they're doing? Do you think Charlie Weis is checking Rivals right now going "oh crap, he's only a 5.5, what were we thinking?" Would you rather we run recruiting like Miami did back in the day, using highlight reels instead of our coaches to scout players?

DirtySecret
07-06-2009, 08:21 PM
He was offered only a couple of months ago.

He knew that the position was filling fast, with Martin and Leuders already committed. But what does this say for the rest of our D-Line class? Is it bye bye Chance Carter? I think you can pretty much close the book on him. And then with Beau Allen and Gaston, I think we'll take the first one who commits, and Gaston has said he'd be visiting this weekend. And then I think we'd save spots for Nix and/or Smith, if we can get them into the fold. That would round out one helluva defensive line, in a dream world, that is. Smith has recently said he will visit ND, and I can't imagine 2 5-star studs in Martin and Smith rushing the QB side by side for 3-4 years together at ND. Damn!

What about J.R. Ferguson? Can we close the book on him , also? Please say no! :(

NDinL.A.
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Give me a break. I'll take the guy who produces over the guy with "freakish athleticism" who somehow doesn't turn that athleticism into tackles. This guy plays in a good league, as a DT no less, and put up great numbers. We all know that we need bodies on the defensive line, and we all know that guys with flexibility are good, and this kid gives us both. Also, he seems like a GREAT kid, the kind of kid we want representing Notre Dame, and you're gonna disparage him because of the f***ing recruiting sites. You don't think the coaches know what they're doing? Do you think Charlie Weis is checking Rivals right now going "oh crap, he's only a 5.5, what were we thinking?" Would you rather we run recruiting like Miami did back in the day, using highlight reels instead of our coaches to scout players?

To piggyback on that, CW made guys like Gaston, Beau, Onliyan (sp), Rees, Massa, etc camp for offers instead of just offering based on film, recruiting sites, or the basis of other offers. They also went out to schools in the spring to see guys work out (QB Thomas comes to mind, and he didn't get an offer). They don't just throw offers out like pancakes. Some guys, you see their film and you just know. But with many others, you need to see them in person. ND's recruiting staff is meticulous about their offers, which is great. And it let's the recruits know that when they get an ND offer, it means something. Unlike Stanford, who just offered my sister...

NDinL.A.
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
What about J.R. Ferguson? Can we close the book on him , also? Please say no! :(

Personally, I think that ship has sailed my friend. When you don't mention ND in most interviews, then that doesn't bode well for us. There good news in that we made the first cut. The bad news is that the 'cut' was 21; that's right, a top 21. Might as well say every school with a pulse in America has made your first cut. So I guess we're not technically out of it, but with no visits set, and 20 other schools to compete with, and no mention of ND in most interviews, then it doesn't look good...

WabashFalcon
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
no. Ryan Harris did. It was about he wanting to get into politics but also play football. Training to get in shape for freshman year, etc.

It was True Life: I'm Trying to Gain Weight.

Also, Slap my nuts and call me Porky. NEVER saw this comming. NEVER EVER saw this comming. Don't check the site all day and we end up with #10. Huzzah! I liked this guy when I first read about him. Glad he's home.

jason_h537
07-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Personally, I think that ship has sailed my friend. When you don't mention ND in most interviews, then that doesn't bode well for us. There good news in that we made the first cut. The bad news is that the 'cut' was 21; that's right, a top 21. Might as well say every school with a pulse in America has made your first cut. So I guess we're not technically out of it, but with no visits set, and 20 other schools to compete with, and no mention of ND in most interviews, then it doesn't look good...

If we win double didgit games, don't be surprised if Ego and Sentreal pull a Mustain. start talking up the irish and practicing with our towel.

littlerick77
07-07-2009, 01:36 AM
If we win double didgit games, don't be surprised if Ego and Sentreal pull a Mustain. start talking up the irish and practicing with our towel.

LOL I remember that shit....

tannerpw3
07-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Looked disruptive in hs highlights, and the numbers bear that out.

I will say that after last season (the season itself and the recruiting season), Weis and co. seem to have decided that to fill all the slots they needed filled, they would have to cast a wider net. Hence a lot of lesser-regarded players offered and commiting - tho I don't think these players are doomed to ride the pine like Charlie's '05 class. These all seem like real players who maybe have just been overlooked a bit, and who will work harder and develop. I do think a solid season wins the Irish more Martin-caliber recruits. The question is, if all these guys who've been offered keep commiting, will there be space left for a late-deciding stud prospect?

BGIF
07-07-2009, 03:06 AM

... and commit to Arkansas, play a year, then transfer to USC.

phork
07-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Unlike Stanford, who just offered my sister...

I just "offered" your sister as well.

IHateMarkMay
07-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I wanted Fido at TE (who know with Fauria gone and a 10 win season it still might) but we've still got the #10 TE. How bad is that?

Last I saw he had a top three of Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

NDinL.A.
07-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I just "offered" your sister as well.

For her own personal safety, she doesn't date Raider fans...

WabashFalcon
07-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Think of it this way... by getting some of our major needs taken care of with solid commitments, we can put the full-court press on a Justin McCay or a Henderson.

goldandblue
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Great post NDinLA

jason_h537
07-08-2009, 02:07 AM
So Justin Utupo is coming to Notre Dame.

BGIF
07-08-2009, 02:13 AM
South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame football: Seeing's believing; Irish land DE Utupo (http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090707/SPORTS13/907070352/1001/Sports)

Bob Wieneke

After seeing Lakewood, Calif., standout Justin Utupo in person, Irish assistant Brian Polian, who recruits California, was convinced the defensive end was someone Notre Dame should pursue.

But other members of the Irish staff, particularly those from the defensive side, wanted an up-close as well, so co-defensive coordinator Corwin Brown made the trek west.

"They were sold on him," Lakewood head coach Thadd Mac Neal said.

If he can keep his quickness and gain weight, he could be a real good one down the line.
Tom Lemming

He's quick and penetrates very well. Seems to be in the opposing team's backfield an awful lot of the time. A very aggressive player. I also like the fact that he can run you down. There's a certain suddenness to his game. He sheds blocks well, moves laterally and he's a relentless player. He seems to be in the right place all the time. I just think it's a really good pickup for the Irish.
Allen Wallace Superprep

Six defensive linemen from Lakewood's conference, the Moore League, earned Division 1 scholarships last year, yet Utupo, as a junior, earned first-team honors, which no doubt fueled his recruitment.

BGIF
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
youtube highlight Utupo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45CQhAF40LY&h1&fmt=18)

There's no spotlight or arrow pointing him out in the clip. He's #53 lined up at DT not DE althought you usually can't see his number until after the tackle. After the first TFL or two you'll zero in on him. Keep in mind 40% of his tackles were for loss including 10 sacks.

This kid is quick. He looks like a LB shooting the gap except he lines up at DT with a man in front of him. Keep in mind he played last season at 235. He's added 15 pounds in the off season. Ethan Johnson was about 265 when he was signed. Utupo should be about the same.

acerider8
07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm not overly concerned with his weight. These college programs know how bulk these boys up. Wouldn't be surpised to see him at 270-275 before he sees legitimate playing time with the Irish. This is a great pick up. Along with Reese and Badger, etc. we seem to be getting the right kind of kids the build a solid foundation for a great recruiting class. We win 10 games this year and we'll finish this class off with some bluechip 4 and 5 star types that normally wait to decide closer to National Signing Day.

HawaiianIrish
07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Exciting player. Flies thru his gap and makes plays in the backfield. Like a previous member stated looks like a blitzing linebacker hiting the holes.

BGIF
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Exciting player. Flies thru his gap and makes plays in the backfield. Like a previous member stated looks like a blitzing linebacker hiting the holes.

That was keen insight by that poster.

BGIF
12-06-2009, 01:13 AM
12/5 Per Jeff Baumhower IrishEyes

Justin Utupo is still committed to ND, but formulating backup plan.

IrishAddiction
12-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Well....thats just great.

phork
12-06-2009, 07:47 AM
And so the great cargo dump of 2009/2010 begins!

jason_h537
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Utupo is waiting on the new coach but still plans to be Irish. (the guy committed before visiting campus)

Rizzophil
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I think he's just getting a backup plan in case the new coach doesn't want Jason U. part of the Irish team...

WabashFalcon
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Hopefully, he sticks with it, regardless of who the hire is.

IrishAddiction
12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Utupo is waiting on the new coach but still plans to be Irish. (the guy committed before visiting campus)

Dang. Forgot about that. He has ND in him if he did that. Who commits before getting here unless they love the college.

Many are just waiting it out. We will find out well before NSD im sure. The recruits are being smart, and most are waiting it out right now.(Henderson,Barr, James come to mind). Hell Nix commited when we didnt have a coach, i think he will stick.

PS jason, your creeping up towards 3000.

jason_h537
12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
PS jason, your creeping up towards 3000.

i gotta get out more

IrishAddiction
12-07-2009, 12:21 AM
i gotta get out more

I hear ya there. At least your in Cali, where it is currently 9:20 PM. Im sitting here in Ohio, with it being 12:20 AM. Makes me wonder how much of my life i waste in front of a computer.

But anyways, I think Utupo is a good player and will stay with ND. Had to throw that in there so BGIF knows we are staying on track here.:wink:

NDinL.A.
12-21-2009, 07:35 PM
According to Steve Wiltfong, after several tries, Kelly was finally able to get Utopo on the phone. And Utopo had a great conversation with Kelly and they immediately hit it off. He said his impression of Kelly sealed the deal for him, and he's sure about his commitment (he was waiting to see who we hired before he was sold for sure).

Another recruit thoroughly impressed with Kelly. We're in good hands boys...

BGIF
12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
I hear ya there. At least your in Cali, where it is currently 9:20 PM. Im sitting here in Ohio, with it being 12:20 AM. Makes me wonder how much of my life i waste in front of a computer.

But anyways, I think Utupo is a good player and will stay with ND. Had to throw that in there so BGIF knows we are staying on track here.:wink:

Nice save.

jason_h537
12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Accorading to Steve Wiltfong, after several tries, Kelly was finally able to get Utopo on the phone. And Utopo had a great conversation with Kelly and they immediately hit it off. He said his impression of Kelly sealed the deal for him, and he's sure about his commitment (he was waiting to see who we hired before he was sold for sure).

Another recruit thoroughly impressed with Kelly. We're in good hands boys...

Nice. Rivals board was saying he was pretty upset over losing Polian. This kid is a Trevor Laws clone

OlympiaIrishFan
12-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Great news for the Irish Nation.

Merry Christmas to all!

mbeckha
12-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Nice. Rivals board was saying he was pretty upset over losing Polian. This kid is a Trevor Laws clone

In what ways? I dont see the correlation.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
He played in a league that included Long Beach Poly, a Cali school that had not lose a league game for over twenty years, and he was one of the main reasons why they won. He harassed their qb all night, forced and recovered a fumble, and kept their highly touted rbs under wraps. The kid is a gamer and I am glad he is coming. I like how we are looking somewhat like a Pac10 team now with some Samoan/Island kids coming to ND.

jason_h537
12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
In what ways? I dont see the correlation.

Watch his fiml. Same size and aggressiveness except he Samoan. The Samoan Trevor Laws

JefMaj
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I love Samoan football players... The west teams always get them and they kick ass...

irishandy
12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Glad he is staying commited to the Irish, we need some D.

BGIF
01-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Lineman of the year: Justin Utupo - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lineman-of-year3-2010jan03,0,6821553.story)

The Times' lineman of the year finished the season with 16 sacks, 29 tackles for losses and four forced fumbles. Four of his sacks came during the Lancers' triumph over La Puente Bishop Amat in a Southern Section Pac-5 Division quarterfinal.

"Justin was the heart and soul of our defense," Lakewood Coach Thadd MacNeal said. "He made all the little plays he was supposed to make and then he made the Notre Dame-type plays."

Utupo committed to Notre Dame in July and has said he will stick with his pledge in the wake of Coach Charlie Weis' dismissal. Fighting Irish fans hope Utupo will give them something to talk about for the next four

He had two fumble recoveries to help end Long Beach Poly's 80 game win streak.

This kid could be the "steal" of the class. Weren't too many fans excited when he committed.

BGIF
01-04-2010, 06:42 AM
From Jan 2

Scout.com: Offense-Defense All American Bowl Preview (http://recruiting.scout.com/2/934259.html)

Justin Utupo and Kareem Martin All the West defensive linemen have looked good, but these two edge rushers will be the ones providing the most pressure.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I saw him recover a fumble, the kid is pretty agile for someone his size. The commentators discussed how they could not see how he was ever considered a DT, and that with his frame and speed, he could develop into a pass-rush specialist. He did intercept a pass from fellow Irish commit Hendrix as well haha.

NDinL.A.
01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Per ISD, Utopo got a visit from from Kelly and Denbrock, and he loved what he heard from Kelly, and he stated he is 100% committed to ND. No more visits.

Kelly is making great first impressions on his visits so far. He's locked up several CW verbals, including Roberson and Utopo in Cali...

HereComeTheIrish
01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Per ISD, Utopo got a visit from from Kelly and Denbrock, and he loved what he heard from Kelly, and he stated he is 100% committed to ND. No more visits.

Kelly is making great first impressions on his visits so far. He's locked up several CW verbals, including Roberson and Utopo in Cali...

Awesome news!!!

...Love Thee Notre Dame

BGIF
01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Profile Updated

Utupo dropped 2 slots on Rivals DTs from #60 to #62 but moved up one slot on Scouts DEs from #51 to #50. No change at ESPN.

jason_h537
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Solid kid. In 3 years he will be a fan favorite

BGIF
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Solid kid. In 3 years he will be a fan favorite

At DE or on the inside.

jason_h537
01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a solid 3-4 DE to me

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM
yeah this kid is DE. I'm glad one of our d-lineman is excited about playing for ND.

BGIF
01-25-2010, 07:03 PM
yeah this kid is DE. I'm glad one of our d-lineman is excited about playing for ND.

One?

Nix committed when ND had NO head coach at all. Sounds to me like he was excited about playiing for ND.

WabashFalcon
01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought they were going to have him play with his hand off the ground. Am I wrong now?

BGIF
01-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought they were going to have him play with his hand off the ground. Am I wrong now?

Who is they? The 4-3 guys that he committed to or the 3-4 guys here now? There was discussion about him bulking up to play DT in a 4-3. I don't recall reports on where he'll play in the new regime.

WabashFalcon
01-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Who is they? The 4-3 guys that he committed to or the 3-4 guys here now? There was discussion about him bulking up to play DT in a 4-3. I don't recall reports on where he'll play in the new regime.

I'm just as confused as you are brother.

IrishandColts
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Committed

jason_h537
02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Another Cali kid in the fold.

DirtySecret
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Has the heaviest hands.. Teams are really going to feel it when he comes off the line..

NDFANnSouthWest
08-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Very impressive for a Freshman....loving what I am hearing out of the Defence

Irish.Ca
08-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Has the heaviest hands.

What does that mean?

IrishInFl
08-20-2010, 12:20 AM
What does that mean?

It was during a practice drill today. Manti said he had the heaviest hands during a drill.

Irish.Ca
08-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Only heard it as a boxing reference. Wonder what the drill was, some kind of 1 on 1 with LB vs DE? I don't know of one.

IrishAddiction
08-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Probably a good punch reference... lineman, offensive and defensive, are taught to make contact with their hands and not to throw their weight into the opponent as they would easily lose balance. Hes probably very good at using his hands during contact with a good initial punch.

Just a guess though.

Irish.Ca
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
I'll buy thatl, thx

HereComeTheIrish
08-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Probably a good punch reference... lineman, offensive and defensive, are taught to make contact with their hands and not to throw their weight into the opponent as they would easily lose balance. Hes probably very good at using his hands during contact with a good initial punch.

Just a guess though.

That's exactly what it means. If you watch the practice videos, they show the lineman set up on sleds, feet set shoulder width, knees bent and their initial blow is with noting more than the hands getting up under the shoulder pads. Well done.

dyrtdogg
08-20-2010, 04:29 AM
He's LDS, right? Has he talked about his plans on going on a mission?

NDFANnSouthWest
08-20-2010, 11:33 AM
dyrtd- I did not think he was LDS...

BGIF
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
dyrtd- I did not think he was LDS...

He is. NDinL.A. noted he was much earlier in this thread.

Here's something a tad stronger:

Badger leaving Notre Dame to serve mission | Mormon Times (http://www.mormontimes.com/article/16164/Badger-leaving-Notre-Dame-to-serve-mission)

Badger, along with fellow Mormon teammates Manti Te'o, Kona Schwenke and Justin Utupo, have been inviting curious teammates to attend an LDS family ward in the area. Badger has also spent time with the full-time missionaries at least every other week since January

For those asking about missions, their encourage but voluntary. It was discussed by Badger's brother in Badger's thread during his recruitment. And while their are the two year formal missions, the other ways to accomplish the same goals. Some people thought I was kidding when I commented during Te'o's recruitment that Notre Dame could well serve as his mission. In essence the ND campus is a foreign land to most Mormons and Te'o and the others can lead by example with frequent questions about it from NBC and the rest of the media that cover ND football.

In the linked article, Badger commented:
Being a football player opened doors to talk to people you wouldn't otherwise and explain the church. Some of the people I talk with now probably wouldn't listen to me with a name tag. I have been able to talk to coaches and numerous other players about the church. Everyone has been really receptive of it. It's been a completely positive experience.

Some may follow Badger's path; some Te'o's. Time will tell.

Emcee77
03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Utupo is up to 281 and Kelly thinks he can push for playing time at DE next fall.

It's in the BK presser thread, but I wanted to recognize Justin here too. Keep working hard, boss.

AdmiralBackhand
01-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Phantom post.

Sherm Sticky
01-16-2014, 04:50 PM
wtf is going on here...

Jebediah Springfield
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/848/ancient-aliens.jpg

Pa Golden Tate Fan
01-16-2014, 04:56 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> DL Justin Utupo is set to return for a fifth season in South Bend ($): <a href="http://t.co/IeuS86sWly">http://t.co/IeuS86sWly</a></p>&mdash; Irish Illustrated (@NDatRivals) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDatRivals/statuses/423928208220647424">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AdmiralBackhand
01-16-2014, 04:57 PM
We needed that depth--good for him!

ulukinatme
01-16-2014, 05:02 PM
If he's 290 or more, as the roster card showed this fall, he might get some time in at DT this fall when we're in a 4 man front.

Sherm Sticky
01-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Yep the prophet was correct...no one believed me when I said Utupo would be back. He is much needed for depth next season!

OlympiaIrishFan
01-16-2014, 05:37 PM
I really like the kid, but there was really no choice. We had to have him back. Tuitt, nix, kona, shembo, Tyler all gone. We were paper thin. Tony and Chase coming off major injuries. And the transfer of EV. A ton of hits.

We need bodies. And if they have some girth and they can come here--get them here.

CHIDomer9
01-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Found this interesting

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Cleveland__Boy">@Cleveland__Boy</a> Both Luatua and Smith told me Utupo's presence at <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> made them feel comfortable. Samoan and Cali connection.</p>&mdash; Tyler James (@TJamesNDI) <a href="https://twitter.com/TJamesNDI/statuses/423930146681532417">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

ThePiombino
01-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Found this interesting

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Cleveland__Boy">@Cleveland__Boy</a> Both Luatua and Smith told me Utupo's presence at <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> made them feel comfortable. Samoan and Cali connection.</p>&mdash; Tyler James (@TJamesNDI) <a href="https://twitter.com/TJamesNDI/statuses/423930146681532417">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

Prolly just the fact that he's a Cali guy.

Andy in Sactown
01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
I never really understood the whole "Cali guy" thing. When I left California for boot camp, I didn't gravitate toward other recruits in California.. I couldn't have given two shits. What IS a "Cali guy"? Other than some regional diction and a love of In'n'Out burger and who gives a fuck? When I got to Chicago I didn't cry over no double doubles, I got some White Castle.

When it comes down to it, I defer to Harry Hogge, "If you're from California, you're not a Yankee. You're not really anything."

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Robert-Duvall-Days-of-Thunder.1.jpg

I'd think it should be more about matching demeanor than home states.

Regardless; congrats to Justin on the FIF.

BGIF
11-02-2014, 03:28 AM
He got his first career INT last night against Navy. It was also his first career start.

Cackalacky
11-02-2014, 06:32 AM
He has been a wonderful blessing this year. I am really glad he got his fifth year.

AdmiralBackhand
11-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Aaron Taylor gave him some eligibility last night.

Irish#1
11-02-2014, 08:40 AM
He got his first career INT last night against Navy. It was also his first career start.

That was a great play. Linemen usually can't handle a pass that close to them.

dublinirish
11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Aaron Taylor gave him some eligibility last night.

AT was awful, all game. Almost embarrassing. I know he usually commentates on colorado state, nevada and the likes but he is so ignorant to the current state of ND football its laughable

pumpdog20
11-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Well the other guy called our QB, Edward Golsen.

FightingIrishLover7
11-02-2014, 12:26 PM
AT was awful, all game. Almost embarrassing. I know he usually commentates on colorado state, nevada and the likes but he is so ignorant to the current state of ND football its laughable
Was I the only one that liked Aaron last night?
Messing up someone's eligibility is not going to piss me off... These concentrators have to prep for every single game. They don't have the luxury of just following and memorizing one team like we do...

Now, guys like mayock (at times) the stuff they say crosses biases lines. I don't remember Aaron hating on either team and I don't remember Aaron loving either team.

Sorry if you disagree

yankeeND
11-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Was I the only one that liked Aaron last night?
Messing up someone's eligibility is not going to piss me off... These concentrators have to prep for every single game. They don't have the luxury of just following and memorizing one team like we do...

Now, guys like mayock (at times) the stuff they say crosses biases lines. I don't remember Aaron hating on either team and I don't remember Aaron loving either team.

Sorry if you disagree

I was fine with them too. The guys that make me mad say blatantly ignorant shit. AT was not in that category.

BeauBenken
11-02-2014, 01:25 PM

He had been at practices during the week so he's actively trying to keep up.

What other than the Utopo thing makes you say that?

ulukinatme
11-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Well, AT did say that Golson was redshirted last year, which isn't quite true either. He effectively lost a year of eligibility, did he not?

pkt77242
11-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, AT did say that Golson was redshirted last year, which isn't quite true either. He effectively lost a year of eligibility, did he not?

Yes. AT misspoke a few times during the broadcast and was pretty rough (though his partner may have been even worse). I am not sure which is/was worse the ND broadcast team this week or the FoxSports1 late night broadcast team (that carries the Pac12 game).

Whiskeyjack
11-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Here (http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Never-Too-Late-To-Help-For-Justin-Utupo-32624227)'s an article 247's Lou Somogyi just published on Justin:

When one takes a look at Notre Dame’s 2014 two deep on defense, the amount of youth is staggering.

From last Saturday night’s game against Navy, only two of the 22 top players on the two-deep defense will be out of eligibility in 2015: cornerback Cody Riggs and defensive lineman Justin Utupo.

Riggs’ loss can be compensated for with the projected return of KeiVarae Russell, a 26-game starter in 2012-13 but unable to participate this year because of an academic issue, similar to quarterback Everett Golson in 2013. Meanwhile, Utupo made his first career start for the Irish to aid a revamped defense versus the triple option.

In a 4-4-3 type scheme against Navy, the linebackers included freshmen Greer Martini, Drue Tranquill and Nyles Morgan (in for an injured Joe Schmidt) at one point, along with sophomores Jaylon Smith on the outside (converted for this one game from the inside to the perimeter) with James Onwualu, a receiver last year.

The defensive interior included sophomore Isaac Rochell with Jarron Jones, who has two more years of eligibility in 2015-16. Giving Jones a breather was freshman Daniel Cage. Because junior Romeo Okwara was not as adept against an option scheme and freshmen Andrew Trumbetti and Grant Blankenship were also neophytes against it, the 6-1, 290-pound Utupo received the nod.

“Utupo gave us the ability to get off some blocks,” head coach Brian Kelly said. “[The freshmen] are big, physical kids who can control the line of scrimmage, but not get off the blocks the way you need to.”

In addition to four tackles, Utupo made two huge plays in the fourth quarter. First, he pressured QB Keenan Reynolds into an errant pass when a blown coverage saw Jamir Tillman break wide open downfield for what might have been a 71-yard touchdown at the 8:57 mark with Notre Dame leading 42-31. Later on that series, Utupo snared an interception in Navy territory.

“If he doesn’t deflect that pass that is intended for the tight end over the middle, who knows where the game ends up,” Kelly said.

“That’s why it’s so important to have fifth-year players: they’re mature. We’re playing so many young kids, to have a veteran like that on your football team, it’s so important. That’s why I’m such an advocate having these guys hang in there and they’re going to get a chance to play and contribute. I think it says a lot about him and sticking with his teammates and wanting to be a part of Notre Dame, where you have a lot of other guys who are not thinking about their teammates. They just want to go play. That’s why Justin’s a special kid.”

"It’s a blessing, hearing from the coaches that I was going to play a lot more,” Utupo said. “When you hear that, you still have to have the same mindset as if you’re not starting. You have to have the same attitude, the same work ethic and try to do your best.”

In 2015, Notre Dame will have well over a dozen fifth-year candidates, but there might be room for only about six or so. Offensively, starters Golson, center Matt Hegarty, guard Nick Martin and slot Amir Carlisle are the best bets, with receiver DaVaris Daniels a dark horse. Defensively, Schmidt and nickel Matthias Farley would be the prime figures (Kelly already indicated it's safe to assume Schmidt is returning), with end Ishaq Williams and linebackers Ben Councell and Jarrett Grace the dark horses.

Taking a cue from Navy, it has been all hands on deck this year for the Irish defense, and someone such as Utupo provides veteran value.

“It’s a 15-round fight to the end,” Utupo said. “Those types of players at Navy [they are] some of the best guys and leaders in our country and they’re going to give their all every play.”

The same will be required on Notre Dame’s end in the home stretch of 2014.

Wild Bill
11-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Forgot about that deflection. Huge play.

Bluto
11-22-2014, 11:02 PM
This guy has played damn good football this season. Too bad he couldn't go out a winner today.

Sherm Sticky
11-23-2014, 04:11 AM
Agree.

Sent via tapatalk

dublinirish
12-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Millikan hires Justin Utupo as head football coach (http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/20161220/millikan-hires-justin-utupo-as-head-football-coach?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

zelezo vlk
12-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Read it as Millikin at first

Bogtrotter07
12-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Good luck, Justin!