PDA

View Full Version : '10 OH QB Andrew Hendrix (Notre Dame Signee)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

BGIF
01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Per Keith Arnold NBCSports.com

Speaking of quarterbacks, as I mentioned earlier this weekend, Notre Dame commit Andrew Hendrix spent his weekend in Gainesville visiting the Florida Gators. According to Ryan Moss of GatorCountry.com (via IrishSportsDaily.com), here are a few of the choice quotes.

"I had a blast. There were a lot of highlights from the trip, but I would say that touring the stadium was pretty special."

"I spent a lot of time with Coach Loeffler. He was there with me every step of the visit and same with Coach Addazio he was around a lot. Coach Loeffler is a great guy who definitely knows what he is talking about and he is very personable. I've been privileged to get to know him over the past few months I also really like Coach Addazio. He is a tough guy but he is also a really fun guy."

"I did get an opportunity to have dinner with Coach Meyer and his wife, which was a cool experience."

I'm sure Irish fans will wipe more than a few drips of sweat from their brow, but that's the recruiting world that we now live in. A kid like Hendrix is probably more confused than anything, (which could explain the complimentary Loeffler comments... Ziing!) and the staff at Florida obviously knows the game when it comes to recruiting Notre Dame commits. It's tough to look at either depth chart and think that Florida is the better place, but best of luck to Hendrix, wherever he decides to attend college.

TerryTate
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

NeuteredDoomer
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Hilarious video. I thank Jesus Christ.

irishandy
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't consider Hendrix Irish until after National Signing Day. Even if Weis was still our coach, I thought the 2010 recruiting class was important; I still do. I see other teams going after our guys until the minute they sign their LOI. I hope Hendrix makes the right decision and stays Irish.

JKhrome1ND
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
do you guys think Hendrix is going to wait until national sighing day to decide where to go, or will he commit sooner.

NoJusticeNoPeace
01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't think he will decommit. Period.

BirdmanND06
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
South Bend Tribune: QB Hendrix may decide tonight (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100112/SPORTS13/100119844/1021/Sports)

Hendrix to decide tonight. Probably.

BGIF
01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
South Bend Tribune: QB Hendrix may decide tonight (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100112/SPORTS13/100119844/1021/Sports)

"Anytime anybody goes on an official visit to a big school they love it," (Hendrix's Coach) Rodenberg said. "I don’t think that’s the issue. He liked it, it was fun. It’s the typical answer I would get if he visited six other schools.

"The big schools are going to wine and dine you well. It was fun, interesting, good –– all that stuff."

It is amazing that we expect recruits visiting other campuses to say, "Meh".

The Polish Irishman
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM

That can't be good.

tko
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
good luck in Florida Alex.

BGIF
01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
That can't be good.

Why, what's the ominous significance of Tuesday night, January 12th?

The Polish Irishman
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Why, what's the ominous significance of Tuesday night, January 12th?

On January 12th 1906, Football rules committee legalizes forward pass. See the connection.

Also in recruiting, the last visit 90% of the time get the commit.

bornready85
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Sounds like the Liar gave Hendrix a deadline.

vernfootball1
01-12-2010, 06:29 PM
decision tomorrow!!!!

WabashFalcon
01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Isn't today the 12th?

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Recommitted according to Cincy Paper

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Hendrix sticks with Notre Dame | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100113/SPT01/301130033/1055/NEWS/Hendrix+sticks+with+Notre+Dame)

IrishJayhawk
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
What the hell is Kelly doing! Why can't he keep these....

Oh...wait...

Honestly, maybe I was just prepping myself, but that's not what I was expecting.

Polish Leppy 22
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
whew

irish4ever
01-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Wise choice Mr. Hendrix!

fitz_bu47
01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Nice!

SoJerseyIrish
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I'll believe it on 2/3/10 when I hear the Press Release.....

chyrspchuck
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
i could see urban tell him to say your still committed until signing day.

IrishinSyria
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
In all fairness, I visited as many schools as possible when I was looking at colleges and they were all small new england schools. If I had a good excuse to go party at Florida when I was a high school senior hell yeah I would take it. Especially if I knew I was going to be stuck in South Bend for the next 4 years.

IrishJayhawk
01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Great blog on ISD written by Hendrix himself. I'd say he's Irish.

Notre Dame Football - Hendrix Blog: ND Is The Best Place For Me (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/football/1739-hendrix-blog-nd-is-the-best-place-for-me)

MirageSmack
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I wish field hockey was like this. My daughter is being recruited, but it's all un-officials. They said once we sign our letter of intent, THEN we get an official visit. :(

Junkhead
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Good to hear. Maybe I missed something, but how did he only have 1,300 yds passing and 8 tds? Misprint or injury?

IrishJayhawk
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Good to hear. Maybe I missed something, but how did he only have 1,300 yds passing and 8 tds? Misprint or injury?

Very run-heavy offense.

Polish Leppy 22
01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
good kid. i don't blame him for taking the visit. he still knows and appreciates what awaits him in south bend

jason_h537
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Glad to see he is still Irish

BGIF
01-13-2010, 03:51 PM
That can't be good.

But it was.

I suppose that makes Hendrix a 10 percenter.

fitz_bu47
01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Good for him, I agree, when I was getting recruited by the midwest NAIA "powerhouses" and the jucos who wanted an in-state blocking dummy, I went everywhere, knowing all along where I would end up.

NoJusticeNoPeace
01-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Yay I was right!

irishandy
01-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Glad to see that he is staying, think we'll go after 1 more QB in this class??

phork
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I wish field hockey was like this. My daughter is being recruited, but it's all un-officials. They said once we sign our letter of intent, THEN we get an official visit. :(

Be nice if every sport made money like football and basketball. Good for your daughter though, that is excellent news.

WabashFalcon
01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Glad to see that he is staying, think we'll go after 1 more QB in this class??

Three QBs? Four if you count Spond?

Wha wha whaaaaaaaaaaa?

jason_h537
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Spond is being projected as a LB for us overat Rivals

IrishJayhawk
02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Scout has dropped him a star and now lists him as #29 QB. Not sure when it happened...don't particularly care.

IrishInFl
02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Why would they do that the day before NSD?

IrishJayhawk
02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I think it probably happened last time they changed their rankings. It just hadn't been noted on his thread.

SoJerseyIrish
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
he didn't have a great senior season and he plays in a running offense......no surprise on the drop, it is probably warranted......but realize this kid has size, arm and athleticism, he is still a good recruit.

IHateMarkMay
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Scout has dropped him a star and now lists him as #29 QB. Not sure when it happened...don't particularly care.

It's really because he didn't end up at Florida.... hah

BGIF
02-03-2010, 02:21 AM

His profile has been updated.

While Hendrix lost a star and drop down to #29, Rivals moved him up from #15 to #13 while maintaining his 4 stars. His ESPN rating remains unchanged.

TerryTate
06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Notre Dame Football - The Tireless Worker (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/football/2695-the-tireless-worker)

Hendrix article on ISD. I think we're in good hands for the next 4 or 5 years at QB.

IanBr22
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Considering we've got three frosh QBs, we could probably stand to skip this year at QB.

irish4ever
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Considering we've got three frosh QBs, we could probably stand to skip this year at QB.

Maybe that's what Bubba was thinking and then chose Nebraska!?

BGIF
06-24-2010, 01:58 PM
The only thing different is that now, Hendrix won’t be hauling wooden logs behind him.

That's cause Longo's got some truck tires with Hendrix name on them.

NoJusticeNoPeace
09-04-2011, 02:09 AM
So what's this guy up to? He looks pretty good after the stinkers Crist and Rees put up today.

HereComeTheIrish
09-04-2011, 02:16 AM
So what's this guy up to? He looks pretty good after the stinkers Crist and Rees put up today.

These are the moments of stupidity that make me pause, look in the mirror and thank God that I'm not the dope that made this idiotic post. In the name of The Father.....The Son...and the Holy Spirit.

Can a Brother get an AMEN???

t3hjc
09-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Rees put up a stinker? He threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs in one half against a defense that knew he was going to throw.

Old Man Mike
09-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Amen.

Rhode Irish
09-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Andrew is pre-med? Wow.

Sorry if this has been covered here before. I didn't realize that.

Kelly Talks Golson, Hendrix (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1272293)

skip to 2:37

BeauBenken
09-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Andrew is pre-med? Wow.

Sorry if this has been covered here before. I didn't realize that.

Kelly Talks Golson, Hendrix (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1272293)

skip to 2:37

Way to go Andrew. Very cool.

PANDFAN
09-30-2011, 08:47 AM
^^???? i can't see this at work....what does it say?

BeauBenken
10-01-2011, 12:09 AM
^^???? i can't see this at work....what does it say?

Just what RhodeIrish pointed out. That Hendrix is in premed.

Ignats
10-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm a pre-med as well at ND right now and yes, Andrew is pre-med. He's pretty dedicated and stayed back this summer to take one of the most difficult chem classes ND has to offer. Great guy who loves ND

ShakeDown
10-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Premium 24/7

No Access (http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Hendrix-Doctors-Notre-Dame-Offense-43726)

Essentially Hendrix loves ND, is a hard worker academically and on the field, and is an overall great guy. He trusts Kelly and will help out where and when he is needed.

No transfer worries here.

ndcoltsfan2010
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I really like this fine young man. It was fun to watch him this past weekend and I look forward to seeing him some more. He seems like a bright and dedicated kid so I am not worried about him at all.

irish4ever
10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Premium 24/7

No Access (http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Hendrix-Doctors-Notre-Dame-Offense-43726)

Essentially Hendrix loves ND, is a hard worker academically and on the field, and is an overall great guy. He trusts Kelly and will help out where and when he is needed.

That's good because he's going to see many opportunities to play in the future based on what we saw last Sat. from him. He looked very poised, ready and athletic!

IrishRugger2013
10-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Premium 24/7

Definitely agreed. He lives in my dorm and is a real nice, down to earth guy. I'm definitely rooting for his future success

nsisk157
10-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Nice little recap of his plays from Sat.

The Andrew Hendrix experience | Inside the Irish (http://irish.nbcsports.com/2011/10/11/the-andrew-hendrix-experience/)

beryirish
10-12-2011, 04:26 PM
ISD Freebie on Hendrix

By Bryan Driskell

Hendrix Makes Most of Opportunity (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/football/football-articles/5701-hendrix-makes-most-of-opportunity)

Back in April, two of Notre Dame’s most impressive players during the Blue-Gold Game were sophomore quarterback Andrew Hendrix and freshman quarterback Everett Golson. Their natural talent and production during the spring created a buzz among media members and Irish fans alike.

When fall camp arrived, Irish head coach Brian Kelly fanned those flames by speculating that one of those two players might be involved in a “change of pace” situation behind the starting quarterback.

Two questions arose from that speculation: which quarterback, and when?

Five games went by and no action for either quarterback, and the speculation only grew during that period. On Saturday against Air Force, that question was finally answered, as Hendrix finally got the opportunity to show what he could do.

“We are going to play the guys when they are ready to play, he wasn’t ready to play,” Kelly said after Saturday’s victory as to why Hendrix had not played sooner. “And he’s ready to play (now), in a limited fashion that we saw today.”

The addition of Hendrix into the lineup was meant to make life harder on defenses, as they now have one more talented offensive weapon to prepare for.

“Now there’s so much versatility in what you have to defend offensively,” continued the Irish coach. “Now you have to defend it on option, read option, you have to be able to defend a quarterback now that can pitch the ball on speed option. It just creates many more difficulties for a defense, and at the end of the day allows our offense to be very diversified.”

“It just gives you another dimension of our offense that if you’re not prepared for it, you can see what happens.”

Hendrix had a big first day for the Irish, completing all four of his pass attempts for 33 yards, and adding another 111 rushing yards on the game. His big play was a 78-yard gain that set up Notre Dame’s final touchdown.

The talent Hendrix displayed on Saturday was no surprise to his head coach.

“He’s a pretty confident kid,” Kelly said on Tuesday. “He can run, he’s athletic, he can throw the ball very well.”

Hendrix made the most of his first college playing experience, as he was able to show the college football world that he is a talented football player.

“I felt like I was confident in my abilities, just to let everyone else see that I could do this really felt good,” the sophomore said after Tuesday’s practice.

Hendrix knew he was going to get an opportunity to play on Saturday, but he was not sure when that time would come or what the situation would be.

“I wasn’t really sure at all, I don’t think Coach Kelly knew at all,” Hendrix explained. “The opportunity presented itself and I was able to get in. I thought initially I was just going to get my feet wet, but as we started to get a little ahead I was able to get into the game a little bit more. The lead we were able to get because of our offensive success throughout the game allowed me to play a little bit more.”

“I think that opened up things for me.”

Some wondered after the game why Air Force, why then? Kelly had a very specific answer as to why the Air Force game was the right time to play Hendrix.

“I didn’t want Andrew Hendrix’s first college experience to be against USC,” Kelly said with a smile, having already noted that in previous weeks Hendrix was simply not ready. “I wanted to insert him when we were having success because I didn’t want to open it up to, alright we had a couple of bad plays and we have a quarterback situation going on.”

“He went in every time we had successful plays and things were moving positively,” continued the Irish coach, noting the benefits that ultimately come from Hendrix’s first experience. “He’s ready to play against USC.”

Those who have seen Hendrix play in high school, in practice, and during the Blue-Gold Game were likely not surprised by his arm strength, athleticism, or toughness. What was a bit of a surprise was the poise and calm demeanor he displayed during his first college action.

“It really wasn’t nerves, I was prepared and I think that really helped with calming me down,” Hendrix said of why he was able to slow the game down. “We practiced throughout the entire week, I knew what the looks were going to be and I knew what I was going to do no matter what they gave me, so I don’t think it was nerves at all.”

“My preparation helped calm me down.”

Hendrix has had a lot of time to prepare for this moment. He came to Notre Dame as the most highly regarded member of a three man quarterback class that included Rees and current wide receiver Luke Massa. The Cincinnati native had to make an adjustment to Kelly’s spread offense, coming from a run dominant program at Moeller High School.

The adjustment took time, but as fans saw on Saturday, Hendrix is starting to get a hang of the offense. In the time leading up to his first opportunity, Hendrix had to battle the potential frustration that often plagues young and talented players that are sitting the bench.

His mature outlook on the situation and his positive frame of mind helped him stay focused, even when things were not going the way he had hoped.

“I think my main thing is I can’t control what I can’t control,” Hendrix said of how he was able to stay focused. “Just keep my head down and plowing through working to be the best me that I can possibly be, and what falls I just let fall.”

“Coach Kelly gave me the opportunity, that’s something that I can’t control, but what I could control was making the best of it and I think I did that.”

Surely, he did.

With the talent and production Hendrix displayed on Saturday, surely someone was bound to ask about a potential quarterback controversy. According to Hendrix, this is nothing about a quarterback controversy, it’s about him finding his role and doing what he does best, which is make plays.

“I think it’s definitely the exact opposite,” Hendrix said when asked about any issues that might have arisen between he and Rees. “Just to be able to be out there and share the field with him a little bit, I was really excited about it, he feels the same way.”

“To be able to go out there with him and share the victory with him felt really good.”

GreatGolson
10-20-2011, 07:28 AM
According to Lane Kiffen he's not a "true runnimg QB".... dance on em Hendrix

NDinL.A.
10-20-2011, 07:42 AM
According to Lane Kiffen he's not a "true runnimg QB".... dance on em Hendrix

He's not. Kiffy-boy is right. Hendrix can throw too. Not sure what's wrong with that comment...

ulukinatme
10-20-2011, 07:48 AM
He's not. Kiffy-boy is right. Hendrix can throw too. Not sure what's wrong with that comment...

The comment was made after Wednesday's practice. The media brought up to Kiffin that Hendrix played in the Air Force game, and if that's something they have to prepare for in their practice. Kiffin responded with a no, that he wasn't a threat, and that they don't really have to worry about it. I'm paraphrasing, but Hendrix has shown that you don't need 4.4 speed to be a threat. He's seen limited action, but he's obviously shown some ability to make thing happen on his feet in both the Air Force game and the Blue Gold game. I'm just hoping Hendrix gets to see the field some Saturday (Not due to a Tommy injury, but split reps again) and makes Kiffin regret his words.

Buster Bluth
10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
That a weak paraphrase job. He did not mean it like that.

Rhode Irish
10-20-2011, 12:18 PM
That's a weak paraphrase job. He did not mean it like that.

Agree.

beryirish
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
ESPN Insider

College Football Rumors - Rumor Central - NCAA - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors)

Hendrix the Favorite at Notre Dame?

Steven Lassan of Athlon Sports picks Hendrix to start on opening day, citing Kiel's inexperience and the coaching staff's desire to see a fresh face at QB.

jimmymac
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Their reasoning doesn't really back up the claim at all hahah. I think itl be Golson over Hendrix personally, because of Kiel's inexperience and the coaching staff's desire for a new face at QB. Hey, those are the same reasons ESPN gave!

BGIF
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
ESPN Insider

College Football Rumors - Rumor Central - NCAA - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors)

Hendrix the Favorite at Notre Dame?

" ... citing Kiel's inexperience and the coaching staff's desire to see a fresh face at QB. "

When did the coaching staff express a desire to see a fresh face at QB?

ND NYC
03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
do those reporters actually get paid for this kind of info (lack of)?

BobD
03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I call BS on that.

I think they're taking a shot in the dark with no inside info or knowledge and just trying to fill up pages.

woolybug25
03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
My scUM buddy thinks Hendrix will start. I gave him Hendrix and Rees for $10 against Golson and Kiel.

I'm gonna roll around naked on that $10...

Irishnuke
03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I think people have written off Hendrix way too soon.

Andy in Sactown
My scUM buddy thinks Hendrix will start. I gave him Hendrix and Rees for $10 against Golson and Kiel.

I'm gonna roll around naked on that $10...

Oh, wow. Must be nice to have that friend locked down for fantasy.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1972/bricktamland.jpg

BobD
I think right now nobody including the coaches have any idea who is gonna start. I think the job is 100% open and there are 4 candidates with an equal shot.

NYMIKE6
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I think right now nobody including the coaches have any idea who is gonna start. I think the job is 100% open and there are 4 candidates with an equal shot.

You mean 3 candidates.......

woolybug25
03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if Tommy hit a growth spurt and grew two inches, got crazy with the weights and came in at 230 pounds and drastically improved his game?

I would root hard for a 6'4"/230 Tommy Rees. lol.

BobD
03-12-2012, 09:26 PM

No, I mean 4. Tommy, Gunner, Andrew and Everett.

After last year, I'm thinking Tommy is to Coach Kelly as Romo is to Jerry Jones or Sanchez is to Rex Ryan.....so we can't rule him out.

Zbi
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
If Rees starts, I do not know if I will watch a offensive play all season.

NYMIKE6
03-12-2012, 09:32 PM

After last year, I'm thinking Tommy is to Coach Kelly as Romo is to Jerry Jones or Sanchez is to Rex Ryan.....so we can't rule him out.

If true and Tommy is considered a starter, i'm dusting off the old high school football helmet. I caused way too much brain damage last year from banging my head off the wall.

IMO You red-shirt Gunner, and let Golson and Hendrix battle it out. This spring is all about reps and lets face it theres not enough for four qb's i believe that was our down fall last year. We should have picked a starter sooner.

Hind sight is 50/50 so we will see......

Rhode Irish
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
If true and Tommy is considered a starter, i'm dusting off the old high school football helmet. I caused way too much brain damage last year from banging my head off the wall.

IMO You red-shirt Gunner, and let Golson and Hendrix battle it out. This spring is all about reps and lets face it theres not enough for four qb's i believe that was our down fall last year. We should have picked a starter sooner.

Hind sight is 50/50 so we will see......

That's a new one....haha.

Rhode Irish
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM

Jerry Jones and me. I think Romo is a championship caliber QB. He gets a bad wrap because most football fans (especially Cowboy fans) are super-simple. He isn't the Cowboys' problem, IMO.

NYMIKE6
03-12-2012, 09:50 PM
That's a new one....haha.

Yeah 50% chance your going to look like a genius or 50% chance your going to look like a jackass......

When you don't have a clear cut #1 at a position thats how it goes sometimes when naming a starter.....

BobD
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Jerry Jones and me. I think Romo is a championship caliber QB. He gets a bad wrap because most football fans (especially Cowboy fans) are super-simple. He isn't the Cowboys' problem, IMO.

I think he's a championship caliber QB too, but he's in danger of becoming the next Jim Kelly. Somehow, someway, he needs to step up and to make something happen for the Cowboys.

gkIrish
03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I think he's a championship caliber QB too, but he's in danger of becoming the next Jim Kelly. Somehow, someway, he needs to step up and to make something happen for the Cowboys.

That's an insult to Jim Kelly. He went to 4 Super Bowls. Romo hasn't even sniffed one

BurningRiver
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
If Rees starts next year and hasn't shown miraculous improvement in arm strength and awareness I will not watch a single snap....

Actually, that's a lie. We all know I'll still watch every second of every game. But I won't like it.

BobD
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
That's an insult to Jim Kelly. He went to 4 Super Bowls. Romo hasn't even sniffed one

Thats true. Just trying to make a point. I'm sorry Jim Kelly, where ever you are. I guess I should have said Dan Marino? No, he made it to ONE and lost big.

BleedBlue&Gold
03-12-2012, 10:37 PM

No, Romo is not to blame for all the problems but, him and him alone was responsible for two losses, Detroit and Jets. Murray could possibly be the answer in late game situations. Romo needs a running game. I got your simple Cowboy fan man.

Zbi
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
If Rees starts next year and hasn't shown miraculous improvement in arm strength and awareness I will not watch a single snap....

Actually, that's a lie. We all know I'll still watch every second of every game. But I won't like it.

Same here buddy.

stlnd01
03-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Jim Kelly > Tony Romo > Tommy Rees

But we're fooling ourselves if we don't think Rees will get a fair shot at the job - as he should, the guy's won a bunch of games. I sure hope Hendrix or Golson beats him out, but that's on them.

BobD
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I think they all should and will get a fair shot at it.

I can almost guarantee that I won't be breathing and my heart might come to a complete stop as Coach Kelly announces the starter for this year.

Irish Fam
03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
If Rees starts, then we need to go atleast 9-3 and win our bowl game. If not, Kelly will be on the hot seat.

If Hendrix or Golson starts, any realistic fan will look at the fact that we have a first year starter and growing pains will occur. 8-4 will then be acceptable.

Rhode Irish
03-13-2012, 12:36 AM
No, Romo is not to blame for all the problems but, him and him alone was responsible for two losses, Detroit and Jets. Murray could possibly be the answer in late game situations. Romo needs a running game. I got your simple Cowboy fan man.

Hey now, I said "most".

I think Romo gets blamed unfairly because he is asked to do a lot to cover up for a team with a lot of holes. Specifically, holes that make his job harder. That second half against Detroit was obviously brutal, but I didn't say he was above making some bad throws or having a bad game. Even in that case, why were they chucking it around the yard up four scores?

[note: I'm not a Cowboys fan in the least. Not sure if that makes me uninformed or objective.]

arahop
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Whoever the QB is, I don't believe he will be announced until sometime in fall practice. If I had to bet money, my guess would be that Hendrix starts, while Golson comes in with some special packages. I just hope Hendrix can finally grasp the system. Kid has a cannon for an arm. This will be his 3rd year in the system, so if he doesn't grasp it by now, he never will IMO. I just hope for all of our sake, Hendrix and Golson get the majority of the reps with Gunner running the scout team.

tko
03-13-2012, 06:56 AM

that gif is so incredibly disturbing!

Old Man Mike
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
There are a lot of "check boxes" on Coach Kelly's quarterback sheet which determine who gets the keys to the Rolls Royce. Some of these boxes are pre-snap, some are post-snap, some are intangibles like confident "presence", some are practice work ethic, some are mental toughness, etc etc --- you can add in more. I believe that one of these "boxes" becomes a near absolute in Coach's mind: pre-snap understanding of the defense and how the offense should adjust to attack it.

Why? Well, this would be one area of Coach's "philosophy" that people could, for a change, have an honest disagreement with him, but he seems to have so much confidence in his systemic design that he feels if the quarterback can just get us into the correct attack mode then even a marginally good QB can move the ball and score 35-40 points. Pike and Collaros, even with their wildly different styles had this in common at Cincinnati. They both were REALLY smart about their offensive systemic powers and reading the defenses' games. As I say, we can debate Kelly about going with the better pre-snap offense manager rather than the poorer manager but greater athlete, but I'll bet that he is weighing the plusses and minuses of that sort of choice all the time.

Andrew Hendrix [or Everett Golson] needs to get to Tommy Rees' level of understanding the pre-snap game management. This is what I think that people really mean when they say "understanding the offense". These guys are football smart. Learning the playbook can't be what's holding them back. What Hendrix needs is every snap against "surprise" defense that he can get and then show that he has the calmness and the instincts to get us going in the right directions. If either Hendrix or Golson [or Kiel] can do that, then Kelly will shift down to the next set of boxes labelled things like "fast release", "escapability", "running ability", "accuracy", "distance throwing", in whatever priority ranking he has on those [I'd bet "fast release" and "accuracy" are ahead of "running ability" even there --- see Pike].

I'm hoping that all four of our QBs can get their heads around pre-snap offense management and we can get down to a more raw talent way of choosing the starter. If they can get there, we all know that Tommy will be back-up [maybe even the guy who gets the bulk of the "extra reps" during practice] while whoever does not win the Hendrix, Golson, Kiel sweepstakes gets only a special package offense at best. I see nothing stopping Andrew Hendrix from being that "winner" if he can "get it" on the field in the heat of the action. Kelly, afterall once said that Hendrix has the quickest release that he'd ever coached --- that's a big deal with the boss.

Rhode Irish
03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm not sold on Hendrix. I'm open to him having the potential to be a BCS-caliber QB, but I didn't see it in his limited time last season. Granted, that small sample may not have painted the complete picture, but I think the best-case scenario for the program is for Golson to emerge as the starter. I don't want to see him get the nod just because I like him; if he isn't the better option then he shouldn't start. I just think it would be good for us if Golson is better than Rees and Hendrix, since that would mean an improvement at QB from what we got last year.

NYMIKE6
03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Best case scenario 1a. Golson 1b. Hendrix, backup- Rees, redshirt Gunner.

And i respectfully disagree that we should expect stumbles in our record with a freshman qb or first year starter. Look at what Darren Thomas did his first year with Oregon.

We need to have an athletic qb to fit the system. Then we need to keep it simple and let his natural ability take over.

Who'saWildManNow
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM

And i respectfully disagree that we should expect stumbles in our record with a freshman qb or first year starter. Look at what Darren Thomas did his first year with Oregon.

We need to have an athletic qb to fit the system. Then we need to keep it simple and let his natural ability take over.

This is a big part of the reason guys like Thomas at Oregon and Wilson at Wiscy were able to come in and succeed immediately. That speed and ability to extend plays makes a huge difference in your offensive potential. It may not be the prettiest but it can create havoc for a defense.

NYMIKE6
03-13-2012, 11:49 AM
This is a big part of the reason guys like Thomas at Oregon and Wilson at Wiscy were able to come in and succeed immediately. That speed and ability to extend plays makes a huge difference in your offensive potential. It may not be the prettiest but it can create havoc for a defense.

Agreed 150%.... and we have been lacking that since Kelly has arrived....Now he has his style qb, so it's time to get things done.

NDhoosier
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM

I agree, with this... I think Gunner will be redshirted and I believe it should be a battle between Golson and Hendrix. As for the stumble early on, I think our schedule is pretty nice for this. The starter can make mistakes against Navy and Purdue without costing us the game (I just hope its not 10 turnovers in 2 games bad).

I'm not sold on Hendrix. I'm open to him having the potential to be a BCS-caliber QB, but I didn't see it in his limited time last season.

He also had a limited playbook. A limited playbook with limited playing time is not going to showcase a player's overall potential. I agree with some others, people are overlooking Hendrix a little too soon...

NDdomer2
03-13-2012, 01:55 PM
OMM, great post, but let's not forget how Kelly has also said that when you have the kind of athlete like Golson on the field he can call a play and go with it. I believe he used the term "grip it and rip it" or something along those lines. A qb with Rees athletic ability MUST be able to have the greatest grasp of the offense AND the defense in order to succeed where a highly athletic kid like Golson doesn't need that grasp as he can create on the fly. Obviously the perfect scenario is Golson having that grasp. Hopefully, once Rees sees that his starting days are over he grabs these younger kids and spills his knowledge out for the program.

Rhode Irish
03-13-2012, 02:41 PM
OMM, great post, but let's not forget how Kelly has also said that when you have the kind of athlete like Golson on the field he can call a play and go with it. I believe he used the term "grip it and rip it" or something along those lines. A qb with Rees athletic ability MUST be able to have the greatest grasp of the offense AND the defense in order to succeed where a highly athletic kid like Golson doesn't need that grasp as he can create on the fly. Obviously the perfect scenario is Golson having that grasp. Hopefully, once Rees sees that his starting days are over he grabs these younger kids and spills his knowledge out for the program.

Hopefully he would do that, anyways. I get that these guys are in competition with each other, but they're also teammates. My impression is that Dayne wouldn't have tried to hoard info/knowledge from Tommy in order to retain his starting job. I hope Tommy would approach things the same way.

GBdomer
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Some of you guys are banking on watching youtube senior clips of Golson and the idea of it. Hendrix played big time against Stanford and played stellar against Air Force. Some of you wanted him starting the bowl game and if he would of won that bowl game it wouldn't even be a disucssion who the starter is moving forward. Everything i am hearing is the staff loves Golson and 100 percent of the fan base wants him to be the starter. Give me Hendrix or Golson. this spring will tell us a lot.

NDdomer2
03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Hopefully he would do that, anyways. I get that these guys are in competition with each other, but they're also teammates. My impression is that Dayne wouldn't have tried to hoard info/knowledge from Tommy in order to retain his starting job. I hope Tommy would approach things the same way.

I agree, but when you are still competing for a position you might not seek out those opportunities in practice, nor have the time to teach, as you would knowing that you are just the back up.

Old Man Mike
03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Tommy's a great guy and will mentor all he can, but some of this isn't mentorable. If it was they all would be there already, as Kelly is one of the best QB mentors around. What these guys are mainly missing is the "magic moment" when "the Light goes on" and everything in front of them is suddenly clear instead of semi-panicked guesswork. Tommy's "Light" has been "on" much brighter than these other guys so far, and there is little that he can do to pass that clear-seeing on. We need to hope [say a few prayers??] that at least one of the more athletic guys bursts into lumens. AND I see no reason why any or all of them can't do it by fall. They've all played a lot of ball. The foundation is there.

ND NYC
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
i have zero doubt kelly will be starting golson in dublin

his gut last year was tommy but he was to swayed by dayne and his all american practice sessions and i sense he wanted TR all along (what his heart said) but his head kept telling him different (dayne measurables, velocity the whole bit)

he wont make same mistake twice.
not in year 3.

i think his gut is with golson. and he will never admit but as long as golson doesnt do anything extremely stupid, horrible decisions, mistakes i think he goes weith his gut (unlke last year) out of the gate and commits to golson much earlier (start of fall practice) then we all realize.

SoIll
03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
tommy rees <<<<<<<<<<<<anyone else

stlnd01
03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Like a lot of people, my first choice too is "what Everett Golson could be." Because he has the most athleticism and, after Kiel, probably the best resume.
But, let's face it, we have no idea if the guy at this point even checks Kelly's first box, which appears to be "ability to read a defense." That's why he stuck with Rees for so long. Despite his quite limited arm and pathetic mobility. Despite his sometimes-awful in-play decision-making. Rees can read a defense at the line and adjust appropriately. Well enough that he beat out a far more physically-talented older quarterback, and two more athletic younger ones, all the way through last season.
Now, maybe Year 3 will change Kelly's priorities, or not having Mike Floyd to lean on will change what he wants from a QB.
But I'd think either Hendrix or Golson needs to be at least in the same ballpark as Rees in the "head" department to win the starting job. He's not just going to give the keys to the Rolls-Royce (an optimistic metaphor, no?) to a cannon-armed speedster.
Should be an interesting spring.

Irishnuke
03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Some of you guys are banking on watching youtube senior clips of Golson and the idea of it. Hendrix played big time against Stanford and played stellar against Air Force. Some of you wanted him starting the bowl game and if he would of won that bowl game it wouldn't even be a disucssion who the starter is moving forward. Everything i am hearing is the staff loves Golson and 100 percent of the fan base wants him to be the starter. Give me Hendrix or Golson. this spring will tell us a lot.

This is how I feel. I think Hendrix should be the starter next season. Apparently I'm the only one. I can't understand how our fanbase is already writing him off as a potential starter.

ThePiombino
03-14-2012, 05:25 AM
This is how I feel. I think Hendrix should be the starter next season. Apparently I'm the only one. I can't understand how our fanbase is already writing him off as a potential starter.

You're hardly the only one. At this point, I think most people would be happy with either Hendrix or Golson. I know I would be. Without Floyd and until another WR can step up and be the man, we're going to need a QB who can extend plays with his feet and make things happen on the fly. ND is blessed to have 3 such players on the current roster.

Personally, I think GK should red-shirt this year, which leaves us with EG and AH. I just don't see a place for Tommy in this year's offense, not without a safety net a la Michael Floyd. AH has the luxury of an extra year in the system and some, albeit limited, game experience. If that means he is the better QB for it, then so be it! He SHOULD, at this point, be the better QB. If he's not, that hopefully means that EG is going to be at least as good as advertised and not that AH isn't what we had hoped at this point.

koonja
03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Referring the the post a few pages back about how Hendrix had better have the playbook down by now... He had better have it down by now. It's his 3rd year and he's a pre-med student I believe. I sure hope he can mentally digest the Xs and Os.

IrishLax
03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I think the funniest hypothetical to play is what if Hendrix was an EE?

If he was an EE he probably would've played after Crist went down and not Tommy. He wouldn't have redshirted. He may have even gotten the outright starting nod this year. And we would've won more games. So then you'd be looking at 2 more years of Hendrix... maybe but probably wouldn't have signed Golson... and then you'd be looking at ~3 year starter Gunner Kiel after that. Simple, huh?

But no, alas, Tommy was the EE and Hendrix was the regular signee. And now we have a choice between inexperience + talent from three different guys or experience + less talent from one guy. Luck of the Irish.

PANDFAN
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Referring the the post a few pages back about how Hendrix had better have the playbook down by now... He had better have it down by now. It's his 3rd year and he's a pre-med student I believe. I sure hope he can mentally digest the Xs and Os.

it's not the playbook! it is the presnap reads which he needs to be able to change play based on coverage...very very hard for a qb especially one who was more of a runner in high school...and w/ him being a pre-med student, possibly he isn't able to get into the film room like others...don't know, just speculating

NDhoosier
03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
You're hardly the only one. At this point, I think most people would be happy with either Hendrix or Golson. I know I would be. Without Floyd and until another WR can step up and be the man, we're going to need a QB who can extend plays with his feet and make things happen on the fly. ND is blessed to have 3 such players on the current roster.

I think this is the general feeling on the Notre Dame fanbase. Golson is simply the unknown, so fans are hoping he surprises everyone and becomes a Denard Robinson type of player. Hendrix is a solid player who never had the full playbook at his disposal. He played great against a great defense in Stanford in his first "true" outing (Air Force game put no pressure on him). When a rookie QB comes in and plays that well against a GREAT defense in Stanford, that has to mean something.

However, fans look at Golson as a possible surprise and after fans witnessed the INT Hendrix threw in the FSU game, again with a limited playbook and never getting a feeling for the offense in that game. I will be happy with either Golson or Hendrix and I believe most ND fans feel the same way. Having said that, I do think Golson has a high CEILING than Hendrix, but I think Hendrix is more of a "sure-thing" as far as QBs who can manage the game, not turnover Tommy, but not a game-changer either.

NDdomer2
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
By Denard Robinson do you mean the ability to change the game in one play and extend drives with his feet? Because, I certainly don't want a track athlete that throws ducks as our qb(although from Golson's highlights and limited Spring game I don't think this is the case). I'd rather have Tommy if that's going to be the case.

NDhoosier
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
By Denard Robinson do you mean the ability to change the game in one play and extend drives with his feet? Because, I certainly don't want a track athlete that throws ducks as our qb(although from Golson's highlights and limited Spring game I don't think this is the case). I'd rather have Tommy if that's going to be the case.

Yes, Denard Robinson is simply a game-changer (when he leaves, people will see where Michigan truly stands in college football), but he cant pass very well. If Golson is comparable in speed and athletic ability, I would take him with the better arm over Robinson any day. However, even as ND fans, we cannot argue that Denard is a game-changing type of player... *going to wash my mouth out with soap*

Me2SouthBend
05-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Good article from One Foot Down about Andrew "Voodoo Child" Hendrix as the starter for the upcoming year (his hope). Watching the video, I am reminded of just how much of a cow pasture that Stanford Stadium field was. Disgraceful.

"The Voodoo Child has also been extremely effective running the speed option, making all the correct reads and gaining huge chunks of yardage. In the three times Hendrix ran the speed option against Stanford, the Irish gained 37 yards (Credit goes to one of Burger's reviews for that one). And if Hendrix can increase his mobility and vision in the pocket, there's no reason to suspect that he cannot be a superstar for our beloved Irish."

Andrew Hendrix Should Start in 2012 - One Foot Down (http://www.onefootdown.com/2012/5/11/3010903/andrew-hendrix-should-start-in-2012)

eNDzone
05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I still think Hendrix is the man. He had much better control of playing calling and running the O than an of the other QBs in the spring game. Still has the quick release and cannon he always had.

NDPhilly
05-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Meh. He really needs to put more touch on the ball. He seems to not see linebackers to.

SoIll
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
i think they both have the capabilities to lead this football team..In that video, he made alot of plays, and would have made at least 4-5 more first downs if Nike would be the NDs equipment sponsor. haha. They slipped so many damn times...

NDdomer2
08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Notre Dame football commentary: Hendrix the safe bet as Irish QB - southbendtribune.com (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/collegesports/notredame/sbt-notre-dame-football-commentary-hendrix-the-safe-bet-as-irish-qb-20120803,0,348903.story)

Personally, I don't think Al Lesar knows wtf he is talking about. Then on the other hand the two qb's at GVSU under Martin were of Hendrix's build.

Player Bio: Cullen Finnerty - Grand Valley State Official Athletic Site (http://www.gvsulakers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/finnerty_cullen00.html)
Brad Iciek*|*Grand Valley State,*QB*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85817&draftyear=2010&genpos=qb)

NDinFL
08-03-2012, 10:58 PM

You are not the only one my friend.

I've been on the Hendrix wagon for quite some time

NDPhilly
08-03-2012, 11:01 PM
You could say Hendrix is similar to Dan Lefevour to.

arrowryan
08-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Notre Dame football commentary: Hendrix the safe bet as Irish QB - southbendtribune.com (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/collegesports/notredame/sbt-notre-dame-football-commentary-hendrix-the-safe-bet-as-irish-qb-20120803,0,348903.story)

Personally, I don't think Al Lesar knows wtf he is talking about. Then on the other hand the two qb's at GVSU under Martin were of Hendrix's build.

Player Bio: Cullen Finnerty - Grand Valley State Official Athletic Site (http://www.gvsulakers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/finnerty_cullen00.html)
Brad Iciek*|*Grand Valley State,*QB*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85817&draftyear=2010&genpos=qb)

Al Lesar never knows what the hell he is talking about

95NDAlumNM
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
My only problem with Hendrix is that he thinks too much. He needs to relax and play instead of over thinking every situation. Golson on the other seems to just play and needs to think about what his responsibilities are a bit more. If you could take the best of both you would have an ideal QB.

frankygoes69
08-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Given the fact that Hendrix has not played that much, I think that he can be a baller given the opportunity. I'm with you in regards to EG but think that AH should get his snaps to prove himself as a full timer.

Oh and how was Spanish Market, Tomasitas, Atriscos, and Blue Corn? Take care and go Irish!

NDinFL
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
My only problem with Hendrix is that he thinks too much. He needs to relax and play instead of over thinking every situation. Golson on the other seems to just play and needs to think about what his responsibilities are a bit more. If you could take the best of both you would have an ideal QB.

*insert wooly with the Gunner comments*

95NDAlumNM
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Spanish market was good. Tomasitas is great as always.

woolybug25
08-03-2012, 11:44 PM
You could say Hendrix is similar to Dan Lefevour to.

I have seen Lefevour play in person more than once, and I assure you that they are much different players. Lefevour threw much nicer balls and always was composed.

*insert wooly with the Gunner comments*

I don't think it would happen, but as I said before, I would be totally cool with us rolling with Gunner from the gates. The dude can ball.

My personal opinion is this, haters can hate...

1) Golson
2) Gunner
3) Hendrix
4) Rees

HereComeTheIrish
08-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I have seen Lefevour play in person more than once, and I assure you that they are much different players. Lefevour threw much nicer balls and always was composed.

I don't think it would happen, but as I said before, I would be totally cool with us rolling with Gunner from the gates. The dude can ball.

1) Golson
2) Gunner
3) Hendrix
4) Rees

That's how I see it as well.

GBdomer
08-03-2012, 11:56 PM
It's golsons show. As much as I love Hendrix.

NDinFL
08-03-2012, 11:59 PM

1) Golson
2) Gunner
3) Hendrix
4) Rees

Talent wise, I would agree.

I was just bustin chops El duderino

frankygoes69
08-03-2012, 11:59 PM
The question is this, how much playing time did Lefevour have under his belt at the time you witnessed him play? Again, I'm for EG as the starting QB and I think that he would crush it, however, I also think that starting AH agains Navy would be an eye opener to the ND's opponantes. Look what he did to the AF.

I know that EG would dominate but a two set QB system with AH and EG, providing EG actual playing time would be the most beneficial to the offense. JMHO.

GO Irish!

woolybug25
08-04-2012, 12:03 AM
The question is this, how much playing time did Lefevour have under his belt at the time you witnessed him play? Again, I'm for EG as the starting QB and I think that he would crush it, however, I also think that starting AH agains Navy would be an eye opener to the ND's opponantes. Look what he did to the AF.

I know that EG would dominate but a two set QB system with AH and EG, providing EG actual playing time would be the most beneficial to the offense. JMHO.

GO Irish!

The first time I saw him play was in the Motor City Bowl. He was a redshirt freshman and he was the MVP of the game...

frankygoes69
08-04-2012, 12:06 AM
So, he had a full season under his belt?

Irishbounty28
08-04-2012, 12:09 AM
I could see both Golson and Hendrix turning out to be really great players with experience during game action. I believe that whoever starts needs a pretty long leash, which would be more than the first half of the Navy game. It is probably pretty hard to play the position feeling that you are one turnover away from being pulled for someone else. I believe this was part of Hendrix's problem last year, as he more than likely never felt like Coach Kelly was 100% in his corner.

I would take Florida State as an example. I believe in the first half, when he took the field for his first series, he drove down the field to get into scoring range. I believe there was a change of possession shortly thereafter, and then Rees took the field the next series. Hendrix seemed to have something going on his initial drive, and was subsequently yanked for Rees. I still feel that if patience was taken with Hendrix he would have had a decently successful game.

The point is that constantly interchanging quarterbacks can sometimes be a detriment to the team. In a situation such as this it shows a lack of confidence in the quarterback, and without belief from those in charge it would be hard to expect great results. Ultimately, whoever wins the job coming out of fall camp needs to have total support from the staff. Let them take their lumps, but give them time to learn.

frankygoes69
08-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Great point.

BGIF
08-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Al Lesar never knows what the hell he is talking about

15 years or so ago Lesar wrote fluff pieces about ND football, Holtz, and Davie. He eventually got re-assigned (when Wieneke and company came on board?) to other less challenging topics. When he came back to the ND beat he definitely came with a urine and vinegar attitude. I suspect he listens to Finebaum now to get in the mood before typing his articles.

Sweetness34
08-04-2012, 06:14 AM
I don't like the fact that he calls Golson a "loose cannon." He's not that, he's a guy who can improvise which has worked very well for the skunk bears, and many now prominent teams in college football.

PraetorianND
08-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I could see both Golson and Hendrix turning out to be really great players with experience during game action. I believe that whoever starts needs a pretty long leash, which would be more than the first half of the Navy game. It is probably pretty hard to play the position feeling that you are one turnover away from being pulled for someone else. I believe this was part of Hendrix's problem last year, as he more than likely never felt like Coach Kelly was 100% in his corner.

I would take Florida State as an example. I believe in the first half, when he took the field for his first series, he drove down the field to get into scoring range. I believe there was a change of possession shortly thereafter, and then Rees took the field the next series. Hendrix seemed to have something going on his initial drive, and was subsequently yanked for Rees. I still feel that if patience was taken with Hendrix he would have had a decently successful game.

The point is that constantly interchanging quarterbacks can sometimes be a detriment to the team. In a situation such as this it shows a lack of confidence in the quarterback, and without belief from those in charge it would be hard to expect great results. Ultimately, whoever wins the job coming out of fall camp needs to have total support from the staff. Let them take their lumps, but give them time to learn.

I'll take either... Or Gunner for that matter. Let's just not pull the eject handle at the first sign of trouble. I think think the fear of getting taken out of games really hurt Tommy too, and Dayne.

Irish8248
08-04-2012, 07:55 AM
You're never pulled for committing just one turnover... Dayne played the next quarter and a half. We forget that after that turnover we struggled to gain 10 yards. Our offense was going no where. If that's a similar case came navy then our QB situation needs to be looked at

Old Man Mike
08-04-2012, 10:55 AM
In Coach's recent interview, he said that Hendrix had everything he needed except that he needed a lot of reps. That sounds to me that Kelly believes that Andrew's overthinking will go away simply by being out there more. Because of that comment [which is thin soup, I'll admit], I believe that if Coach had to play Navy tomorrow he'd start Andrew --- and probably have him run the ball after a fake to Cierre on the first play. [Dreaming: play 1// Hendrix run between tackles; play 2// Wood run [first down]; play 3// Wood run [same direction]; play 4// safe pass to TJ Jones [complete] ---- and off we go for 500+ yards total offense and 40+ points].

woolybug25
08-04-2012, 11:04 AM
So, he had a full season under his belt?

He was awesome in every game he played in that year. He also won MAC freshman of the year. He did this all at a younger age than Hendrix was LAST season. That was the first game I saw him play in person, but he was no secret by then. He was great from game one.

He was always composed, that's my point. He threw a better ball also. Comparing him and Hendrix as players isn't very realistic.

Black Irish
08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I think Kelly has the perfect opportunity now to experiment with Golson & Hendrix with Tommy suspended for Navy (not hating, I feel bad for the kid). If it's still a close call come Sept 1st, Kelly should plan on giving each QB 2 full quarters of play to see who does what. Give Hendrix the whole 1st half & Golson the whole 2nd (or vice versa). Whoever crushes it is your starter. If they both crush it, well that's a problem I'd love to have. If they both suck, I guess we need to whip that red shirt off Gunnar in a hurry.

Who'saWildManNow
08-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Golson will start Navy IMO. If true, I hope Hendy keeps his head up and soaks in as many reps as he can. This game guarantees nothing. He would be one play away from running this team and carrying the expectations.

Riddickulous
08-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I think Kelly has the perfect opportunity now to experiment with Golson & Hendrix with Tommy suspended for Navy (not hating, I feel bad for the kid). If it's still a close call come Sept 1st, Kelly should plan on giving each QB 2 full quarters of play to see who does what. Give Hendrix the whole 1st half & Golson the whole 2nd (or vice versa). Whoever crushes it is your starter. If they both crush it, well that's a problem I'd love to have. If they both suck, I guess we need to whip that red shirt off Gunnar in a hurry.

That's assuming we blow out Navy, which is not a given.

NDPhilly
08-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Golson will start IMO but i think Hendrix sees time maybe in the redzone.

arrowryan
08-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Golson will start IMO but i think Hendrix sees time maybe in the redzone.

Why in the red zone? Hendrix doesn't have anything that Golson doesn't.

If Rees was the starter, then I would 100% agree with you

NoJusticeNoPeace
08-04-2012, 02:13 PM
1 QB is going to play, not 2.

irishog77
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Why in the red zone? Hendrix doesn't have anything that Golson doesn't.

If Rees was the starter, then I would 100% agree with you

Except about 40 pounds.

Whomever ultimately becomes the starter in game 2 and beyond, I can see Kelly plugging another guy in situationally. If nothing else, it gives opponents something else to have to prepare for and keeps the player focused-in and ready-- not counting daisies on the practice field and daydreaming about transferring.

polishjuice4
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
It would be like what Oklahoma does with Blake Bell if that happens.

MPClinton22
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
All I can think of whenever I hear the suggestion to put Hendrix into the game in the red zone is the USC game last year.

Crist is driving the team down the field with tons of confidence, and for some reason gets pulled and Hendrix is put in for a down or two (I don't remember exactly how many it was). He gets pretty much nowhere and Crist is put back in the game and proceeds to fumble and we all know what happened from there.

I just struggle to see the benefits of taking a quarterback out when he is orchestrating a successful drive to add another perceived facet to the offense. Stick with one guy and one guy only, unless it's garbage time, in which case it obviously makes sense to give the backups some in-game experience.

Black Irish
08-05-2012, 02:36 AM
I agree with others in that I'm not ready to relegate Hendrix to backup special packages duty just because he didn't shine as bright as Golson did in the Spring Game. Hey, maybe EG is the better QB option but my point is that we won't know until we see the both of them get some real playing time. That's why I suggested before that they each need to get 2 solid quarters of play against Navy so the coaches can make honest comparisons.

Now people will say that if we aren't blowing Navy out that Kelly shouldn't mess around, but I disagree. Kelly needs to get as many questions answered as soon as he can, and not just at QB. He needs to work guys in, give them reps, and see what works best. There's only so much you can do in practice. I know it may seem foolhardy, especially if ND is clinging to a slim lead. But like lots of things in life (starting a business, having kids) there is never a perfect time. You just need to do it. I'd rather see Kelly experiment to try to get the formula right early on, even if it means risking a loss. I don't want another season of what-ifs because ND played it too safe. Like last season. What if Hendrix got more reps? What if Dayne didn't get pulled? What if the defense blitzed more? Put it all on the table, Coach and let's put a bowl-caliber team together.

Redbar
08-05-2012, 03:51 AM
All I can think of whenever I hear the suggestion to put Hendrix into the game in the red zone is the USC game last year.

Crist is driving the team down the field with tons of confidence, and for some reason gets pulled and Hendrix is put in for a down or two (I don't remember exactly how many it was). He gets pretty much nowhere and Crist is put back in the game and proceeds to fumble and we all know what happened from there.

I just struggle to see the benefits of taking a quarterback out when he is orchestrating a successful drive to add another perceived facet to the offense. Stick with one guy and one guy only, unless it's garbage time, in which case it obviously makes sense to give the backups some in-game experience.

It was one play for Hendrix and I totally agree with your logic in the third paragraph, momentum and execution are more important than "wrinkles".

frankygoes69
08-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Give AH a go as a first stringer.

Old Man Mike
08-05-2012, 09:47 AM
We are all BSing, but with what little we know, it would seem good strategy to give both Andrew and Everett significant time running the team vs Navy, and use a run-emphasis with gradually increased passing-as-we-go. That plan would seem to give quality "looks" for the coaching staff of both players, while maximizing the odds of winning of the game. With that agenda, it may not matter which of them actually takes the first series or two or three. If they were still in a dead heat after August, I'd start the one whose ego was more fragile and tell the more adult of the two, that this was going to be an absolutely level playing field this first game. ... and handle it that way no matter how well the "starter" does.

Bogtrotter07
08-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I will change the pace a little. I think both need to play: In case of injury to either, fallback options when you have one only, ready to play is a bi&ch; part of Fla's NC run when Tebow was an underclassman, was the uncertanty of what offense opponents would face. Do you think a change in qb is as tough in a spread offense?

Kaneyoufeelit
09-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Here is something I have been thinking about lately: Hendrix should be converted to a TE or OLB next year. Realistically, he has to be fourth on the depth chart at QB next year and it doesn't look like he is ever going to play barring injury. The kid is a very good athlete and he is big (listed at 6'2'' 220 on the roster). It seems like a waste of a scholarship to let him rot on the bench behind younger guys. Even if he is moved to another position he could always be an emergency fourth QB so that Zaire's redshirt wouldn't be ruined. My friends think I'm an idiot but I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else has thought about this or at least agrees it's worth a shot to try to get a big athletic kid like him on the field in some way.

Sherm Sticky
09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Here is something I have been thinking about lately: Hendrix should be converted to a TE or OLB next year. Realistically, he has to be fourth on the depth chart at QB next year and it doesn't look like he is ever going to play barring injury. The kid is a very good athlete and he is big (listed at 6'2'' 220 on the roster). It seems like a waste of a scholarship to let him rot on the bench behind younger guys. Even if he is moved to another position he could always be an emergency fourth QB so that Zaire's redshirt wouldn't be ruined. My friends think I'm an idiot but I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else has thought about this or at least agrees it's worth a shot to try to get a big athletic kid like him on the field in some way.
the other day I said Hendrix to H-back kind of half jokingly. But, at this point H-back would be interesting.

IrishFBfanatic
09-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Where would Hendrix fit in anywhere else is the question...
Tight End? He will be behind Koyack, Niklas, Welch, and Heuerman...

Linebacker? Where does he fit in? Not CAT with Shembo and Ishaq. Not DOG with Spond, Councell, Okwara, and Jaylon Smith.

He's athletic, but he's not going to beat any of these guys out at their natural positions. I don't mind personal protector on punts (Tebow) or holder for field goals. That would at least keep the defense honest knowing at any time he could pull off a major fake. I just don't see anywhere beside QB fitting Andrew. He will still get some chances to play, but I'm afraid he will never see the title "starter" next to his name.

Not a bad idea to move an athlete around, but when the team is full of athletes at their natural positions, a guy like Andrew would have to be AMAZING to break into that rotation.

goldandblue
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
He has some speed. Linebacker maybe?

IrishLax
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Backup QBs are valuable and next year he will be a senior with lots of experience in the system. He won't break the depth chart at either TE or OLB. Don't really see the good in what you're suggesting.

Kaneyoufeelit
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I agree that he would be behind others at any position. My point is just that at least at the other positions we use a rotation. Not saying he would be a starter or be ready to make an immediate impact. I just think he and the team could be better served by putting him in a position to actually see the field. Using him on special teams is a nice suggestion too though

woolybug25
09-17-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't see him as a LB or TE, but he will most likely be a #4 QB next year, so we should give him an opportunity elsewhere. My thoughts, lets see if he is a capable HBack in practice and maybe sprinkle some of those plays in during the season. See what happens.

His ability to play QB in a pro-style, passing spread and running spread makes him very valuable as a scout team QB as well.

Kaneyoufeelit
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Backup QBs are valuable and next year he will be a senior with lots of experience in the system. He won't break the depth chart at either TE or OLB. Don't really see the good in what you're suggesting.

I'm not married to the idea of TE or OLB. Do you think there is any position where he could make an on the field impact next year?

BobD
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I would keep him in a back up roll and having him practice as a holder for fake field goals and trick plays over and over.

We will need some smoke and mirrors before the season is over.

Emcee77
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM
This is a tough situation. I agree at least partially with all the conflicting viewpoints. On the one hand, it seems a shame to allow an athlete of Andrew's caliber to languish on the sidelines, and we don't really need him to play the wise, veteran backup role because we have Rees playing that role. On the other hand, a capable backup is a very valuable commodity, and he doesn't really seem like a fit at TE/OLB ... he just doesn't quite have the size/length.

Ultimately, I think I'd like to see Andrew remain primarily a backup quarterback, but also play occasionally as a sort of fullback/H-back, as Wooley and others have suggested. This year we've been putting tight ends in motion and then using them as lead blockers. Why not put about 10-15 more pounds on Hendrix and then use him in a similar role ... he could line up either in the backfield or in the slot and then move around pre-snap.

Irish Houstonian
09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Not that AH is necessarily the ideal solution, but we gotta get at least one blocking back. All this shotgun on the 2 yard line is taking years off my life.

pumpdog20
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Gunner for kick offs.

Old Man Mike
09-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Massa Mark Two

PerthDomer
09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Make him a wild cat guy for change of pace.

EddytoNow
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
We need to keep Andrew as a quarterback. We are one injury away from having Tommy Rees as our starting quarterback again. Does anyone really want that to happen?

Next year, Malik Zaire will be going through the learning process and probably get red-shirted. Andrew will be needed to provide security at the quarterback position. Gunner may take over the number three spot, but Tommy is not a season-long solution this year or next. I can see Tommy dropping down the depth chart next year.

BeauBenken
09-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Andrew is athletic...for a quarterback.

Irish4Life09
09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Why not use him as a goal-line FB?

D-BOE34
09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
2013 Depth Chart-

1. EG
2. GK
2b. AH
4. TR
5. MZ (Red shirt)

If EG were to go down this year, I think AH will get lots of PT. Next year, I think he battles with Gunner for the number 2 spot.

IrishinSyria
09-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Golson's completion percentage was well under 50% on Saturday. Obviously, he's the man for now... but if things take a turn for the worse this board may find itself howling for Hendrix.

Kaneyoufeelit
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Golson's completion percentage was well under 50% on Saturday. Obviously, he's the man for now... but if things take a turn for the worse this board may find itself howling for Hendrix.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Hendrix should be anything other than a QB right now. We are just talking about the relative values of keeping him at QB next year (where he will likely never see a meaningful snap) and moving him to a position where he could make an impact on the field (if there is such a position). I have suggested he could be a TE or OLB, others have said H-Back, S, and that it isn't a good idea to move him. You're right that things could turn for Golson and Hendrix could end up being the guy. But that isn't the discussion. This is a discussion about next year based on the current situation.

Bogtrotter07
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I have an idea, lets put him at qb next year, or wherever BK wants him.

koonja
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Might as well add him to the DB depth the way we're losing guys, lol.

Irishnuke
09-17-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think putting him at TE is that outrageous. I'm not saying he should go there, just that it doesn't seem too crazy. He'd definitely be behind Niklas but I haven't seen much from our other "superstar" TEs that lead to believe he couldn't compete for the job. This will never happen though.

Rhode Irish
09-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Not that AH is necessarily the ideal solution, but we gotta get at least one blocking back. All this shotgun on the 2 yard line is taking years off my life.

You don't need a blocking back, you need a time machine.

Black Irish
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Good one

Irish Houstonian
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM

In more than one way, but you'd think a Patriots guy would be more open to putting TE's in the backfield.

Who'saWildManNow
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=Rhode Irish;770546]You don't need a blocking back, you need a time machine.

Where we're going, we don't neeeeed blocking backs.

PANDFAN
09-19-2012, 11:02 AM

reason being was that he is smart w/ the football and throws the ball away, had a few drops by wr's and missed on 2 big deep balls...

“What we’ve asked him to do is throw away the football,” said Kelly of Golson, whose passing percentage took a hit (down to 58.6) against Michigan State (43.7), due mainly to his sound decision-making to throw the ball out of bounds when the situation dictated.“He’s able to get out of the pocket. Our completion percentage probably has taken a hit. But our ability to succeed at the end of the day and win games has not. That’s why he continues to evolve because he knows if he wants to stay in the starting lineup, he has to take care of the football.”

rtrn2glory
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
if golson keeps taking care of the ball like pand said, it's going to be hard to take him out. last year we were a QB not beating ourselves away from going 10-2

North Buffalo Irish
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Hendrix has potentially 36 games left in his Irish career if he ends up back for a 5th year.

If Golson gets hurt this year, Hendrix may be the starting quarterback. If Golson gets hurt next year, Hendrix may be the starting quarterback. Kelly has even said himself that Rees would be the short-term answer as the backup (i.e. a late-game drive or taking over if we need to go pass-heavy hurry-up), but Hendrix is the best suited for taking over the entire offense if Golson were to go out.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Golson is 5-foot-nothin', 100-and-nothin':wink: No one knows how good Gunner Kiel is going to be in spring ball next year or at the start of next season. Hell, no one knows how good Hendrix is right now. I also think there are packages in the playbook for Hendrix that we haven't even come close to dusting off yet.

GoldenIsThyFame
01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Kept waiting for someone to post this... From media day this morning:

@ChiTribHamilton: #NotreDame QB Andrew Hendrix: "I'm a student-athlete, and I want to play football. I'm a good player."

zbikowski88
01-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Hate to say it but it looks like a possible transfer

JadeBrecks
01-05-2013, 08:06 PM

@ChiTribHamilton: #NotreDame QB Andrew Hendrix: "I'm a student-athlete, and I want to play football. I'm a good player."

I wouldn't fault him for being frustrated. The kid has talent and could definitely start on a lot of teams. I would hate to see him go but he isn't going to be able to play on sundays riding the bench.

Rocky2820
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Hate to say it but it looks like a possible transfer

Can't blame him, but I hope he holds true to his pre-med aspirations if he does indeed seek out a new school. Too smart to put too many eggs in the football basket.

KPENN
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
He'll be a senior next year right? He'd be better off getting his degree then transferring. Of course this is my humble opinion

Jebediah Springfield
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM

What was the question?

Emcee77
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
What was the question?

Yeah, I think we need more context to know whether he is thinking of transferring.

Old Man Mike
01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Transfer to one of the MAC schools. Western Michigan University is building a new medical school as we speak. Play the game; see where that path takes you. If anyone becomes an MD, the "Notre Dame Academic Advantage" [which is real] becomes a less necessary thing. If I were Hendrix these thoughts would be going through my mind.

Also thoughts of Golson, Kiel, and Zaire. I'm amazed that we aren't hearing more transfer rumblings especially from guys in the D-Backfield, which in my opinion is outrageously overcrowded and with the new guys coming... good lord.

People like Andrew, and I like Andrew. He'll always be Notre Dame to me regardless of what he does --- but it's a REALLY hard thing to ask a guy NOT to follow his dream.

DANsanity15
01-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Looks like they asked both Andrew and Gunner about transferring today. I think Hendrix has a lot of talent and I could see him transferring to a school in Ohio (Cincy or Ohio) I still think he can be a very good player and id love to see him succeed on the field somewhere, whether its here or elsewhere

QuarrelsomeIrishAmerican
01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Golsen
Kiel
Rees
Zaire

Hendrix - best choices are to either switch positions to maybe a TE or to Graduate Transfer after next season. He's a Biology major which I highly respect b/c I was one at ND. I would love for him to leave with a degree. On the other hand, if he leaves now for another DI school and has 2 more years of eligibility after sitting out a year, this may be better from a football prospective if he has professional aspirations. Tough choices, but he's a really smart kid and maybe should take the chance at the pro's b/c med school won't necessarily be out of the question if he transfers. A high MCAT score gets you in from anywhere.

GoldenIsThyFame
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
That was the only tweet I saw in it. No clue what the question was or how it was asked.

IrishLax
01-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Hamilton kinda a douche for asking all the backups about leaving. Haven't seen this done to any other team... or am I just not paying enough attention and this is standard protocol?

Irish Insanity
01-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Kansas? lol

Pachuco
01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm always curious to know how college coaches handle this sort of situation. Hendrix is obviously a talented athlete, and he wants to play. At some point, do the coaches suggest a positional change or do they continue to encourage him to improve at QB? Hendrix has been a ND guy all the way, and while his competition is pretty fierce, he has the tools to succeed. Hope he stays at ND.

irishbird
01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Hamilton kinda a douche for asking all the backups about leaving. Haven't seen this done to any other team... or am I just not paying enough attention and this is standard protocol?

I think that writeup, is by Eric Hansen of South Bend Tri.

Irish YJ
01-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Same goes for Rees IMO. I love Hendrix and glad he's here, but selfishly or unselfishly, I'd love to see him play somewhere and do well. The MAC would be a great landing spot. Rees is a baller. I think GK takes over as #2 or becomes 1b in 2013. While I love having a battle tested guy in the wings, I'd also love to see him be able to play somewhere and kill it.

DomeLover3
01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Won't be heartbroken if he leaves. Its his life, can't fault him if he wants to see the field

GoldenIsThyFame
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Here is the Hansen notes from the media session, gives a little context.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/notredame/football/sbt-notre-dame-football-wood-will-wait-to-make-decision-public-20130105,0,3731161,full.story

Emcee77
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Here is the Hansen notes from the media session, gives a little context.

Notre Dame football: Wood will wait to make decision public - southbendtribune.com (http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/notredame/football/sbt-notre-dame-football-wood-will-wait-to-make-decision-public-20130105,0,3731161,full.story)

Thanks, GITF.

He hasn't made any decisions yet, but he's definitely considering transferring. Asked about the future:

“It’s hard to say,” he said. “Right now I’m just doing the best with the situation that I’ve been dealt right now. I’m only two plays away from playing, being the guy in the national championship game, and I’ve prepared like that’s the case.

“It’s hard to think big picture when there’s all this going on right now, and after the season I’ll assess where I am. It’d be hard to leave this team with a year left. Obviously, I would take that into consideration, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. The coaches will be honest with me about where I stand. They always have been.”

Junkhead
01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I can't blame him for wanting to play, and right now, it isn't looking that likely.

kmoose
01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Oh well. He earned a free education from ND and now he can pursue his football playing days at another institution. Good luck to him, I wish him the best if and when the time comes. Sad to say but it's a business. On to the next one! I have a cousin at tOSU who will be a junior DB and if he doesn't start this year, he will be in the same boat. It's not personal but a business. That is how the real world of BIG TIME college football works.

It's not how ND works. ND offers 4 year scholarships, requires athletes to take real classes, and integrates athletes into the general student body. ND is about more than making money and running their football team like a business. It's one of the many things that sets ND apart, and is a big reason why I, and many others, root for the team. Because they do it right, even when doing right isn't easy.

BGIF
01-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Oh well. He earned a free education from ND and now he can pursue his football playing days at another institution. Good luck to him, I wish him the best if and when the time comes. Sad to say but it's a business. On to the next one! I have a cousin at tOSU who will be a junior DB and if he doesn't start this year, he will be in the same boat. It's not personal but a business. That is how the real world of BIG TIME college football works.

Will he complete his degree requirements by May? I didn't see that mentioned in the couple of paragraphs about him in the SBT article.

IF being a college football starter is his life goal by all means transfer if you can't beat out the other guys. But let's be candid if he can't beat out Golson and Rees, he's not playing on Sunday's in the future unless it's a chose up touch game.

IF his career goal is still medicine 3 years at ND and a degree issued by S.W. State U isn't going to win any points with a med school admissions officer. I don't know of any med school that considers where you played football, starter or backup, but they do evaluate the quality of the undergraduate program where you received your degree.

Strikes me as foolhardy for anyone to pass up that academic opportunity so they can say 20 years from now, "But I started in college."

Personally I though he gave a very astute answer to a B.S. question asked the day before a national championship game. That question could have been asked Tuesday or next Spring.

Irish To The Core
01-06-2013, 05:10 AM
I hope Andrew sticks around because he could still be very valuable. First off injuries happen. Secondly, I think a time might well come when Hendrix is a better option than Tommy, he just has physical tools that Tommy cannot match, it is reading the d's where he is lagging behind. If he gets that down and a couple injuries hit the qbs, he could end up the next man in.

Even if he doesn't, I have thought for quite some time that Andrew would be a great Blake Bell qb, he is mobile like Everett, but he brings a bit more weight to pound out the hard yards. It would laso save Everett from some head shots and he has had a concussion.

I would understand if he headed elsewhere but there might be opportunities lurking around the corner next sesaon.

Buster Bluth
01-06-2013, 06:53 AM
If he can graduate in May, I would probably transfer if I were in the same situation. He's an Ohio boy, so I would love to see him at Toledo. It just happens to have a med school too...

If he can't graduate in May, then there is absolutely no reason to transfer. A Notre Dame degree is worth more than a year of inferior football.

FightingIrishLover7
01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I am of the belief that hendrix is good enough to start for a solid D1 team. For example, as a purdue student I can tell you he has the skills to start for a team at purdues level. And even some teams a tier above us. Urban wanted hendrix for a reason. Kid is a gamer.

ThePiombino
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
This will come down to his willingness to compete for the same job next year. I can't see the coaching staff telling him that he will be the #2/3/4 guy next year. They will likely open things up again in the spring and it will be up to the QBs to determine where the chips fall. Hendrix needs to seriously evaluate where he thinks he can be. HOPEFULLY, he believes he can be the guy. If not, I think we'll see him transfer. But I definitely don't see the staff telling him he's 1a or 1b just to placate him and keep him around.

Personally, I see him coming in at #4 on the depth chart:

1 - EG
2a - GK coming in during mop up duty
2b - TR coming in during key situations when EG is hurt or "pulled" (I don't anticipate him being pulled for performance)
4 - AH getting a couple snaps during senior day
5 - MZ "red-shirting"

This has nothing to do with skills, but more to do with team needs. GK and EG are the future so they will get the lion's share of meaningful snaps. TR is our "break in case of emergency QB." There's just not enough playing time to get AH the ball as well. It sucks.

Irish8248
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Free article about it from II ... Sounds like he's gone

IrishIllustrated.com - The next next man in (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1456809)

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. - Andrew Hendrix is two plays away from playing in the BCS National Championship Game against Alabama on Monday night. For now, that’s all that’s on the mind of Notre Dame’s No. 3 quarterback.

By the start of the spring semester back in South Bend, that may change.

“Big picture, we’ll look at it after the season, but right now we’re just focused on playing for the national championship,” Hendrix said. “You have to assess things logically. Obviously Notre Dame is an unbelievable place. Anything can happen, you have no idea.”

The junior, studying to go to medical school after graduation, said he’s two or three semesters from earning his diploma depending on his course load during the next round of summer school. Hendrix admitted leaving the University before reaching that finish line wouldn’t make much sense, even if playing time doesn’t come in South Bend.

Hendrix has played in just three games this year, completing 5-of-7 passes for 55 yards. He’s also rushed eight times for 41 yards. He played against Navy, BYU and Wake Forest. Tommy Rees was suspended for the opener against the Midshipmen, with Everett Golson sidelined by concussion against the Cougars.

“The season couldn’t have played out any better for our team,” Hendrix said. “We’re in the national championship, undefeated. I’m so happy to watch all our hard work pay off and everyone on our team is a part of this. No one feels left out. Obviously you’d like a bigger role on the field. But it’s not anything to worry about for me.

“We have four great quarterbacks on this team. I don’t know if there’s a logjam like this anywhere else.”

That logjam will grow during spring practice when Gunner Kiel jumps up from the scout team and Malik Zaire enrolls. That could make work harder for Hendrix to get than it’s been this season after Golson beat him out for the starting job in August.

Because Hendrix took a red shirt season as a freshman, he’d have the option to spend his fifth year at another program after graduation without sitting out.

“At the very least, (playing my fifth year elsewhere) would be a fine situation, you can’t argue with that,” Hendrix said. “Again, there’s so many options that you can explore. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Just to leave here with a degree, that’s unebelieveblae.”

Despite the lack of work, Hendrix said staying involved in the Irish offense hasn’t been difficult.

“Coach (Chuck) Martin, he’ll call on me, expect me to know everything,” Hendrix said. “If I don’t, I’m going to get yelled at too. I have to be ready and they know that.”

Rocky2820
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM

IrishIllustrated.com - The next next man in (http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1456809)

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. - Andrew Hendrix is two plays away from playing in the BCS National Championship Game against Alabama on Monday night. For now, that’s all that’s on the mind of Notre Dame’s No. 3 quarterback.

By the start of the spring semester back in South Bend, that may change.

“Big picture, we’ll look at it after the season, but right now we’re just focused on playing for the national championship,” Hendrix said. “You have to assess things logically. Obviously Notre Dame is an unbelievable place. Anything can happen, you have no idea.”

The junior, studying to go to medical school after graduation, said he’s two or three semesters from earning his diploma depending on his course load during the next round of summer school. Hendrix admitted leaving the University before reaching that finish line wouldn’t make much sense, even if playing time doesn’t come in South Bend.

Hendrix has played in just three games this year, completing 5-of-7 passes for 55 yards. He’s also rushed eight times for 41 yards. He played against Navy, BYU and Wake Forest. Tommy Rees was suspended for the opener against the Midshipmen, with Everett Golson sidelined by concussion against the Cougars.

“The season couldn’t have played out any better for our team,” Hendrix said. “We’re in the national championship, undefeated. I’m so happy to watch all our hard work pay off and everyone on our team is a part of this. No one feels left out. Obviously you’d like a bigger role on the field. But it’s not anything to worry about for me.

“We have four great quarterbacks on this team. I don’t know if there’s a logjam like this anywhere else.”

That logjam will grow during spring practice when Gunner Kiel jumps up from the scout team and Malik Zaire enrolls. That could make work harder for Hendrix to get than it’s been this season after Golson beat him out for the starting job in August.

Because Hendrix took a red shirt season as a freshman, he’d have the option to spend his fifth year at another program after graduation without sitting out.

“At the very least, (playing my fifth year elsewhere) would be a fine situation, you can’t argue with that,” Hendrix said. “Again, there’s so many options that you can explore. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Just to leave here with a degree, that’s unebelieveblae.”

Despite the lack of work, Hendrix said staying involved in the Irish offense hasn’t been difficult.

“Coach (Chuck) Martin, he’ll call on me, expect me to know everything,” Hendrix said. “If I don’t, I’m going to get yelled at too. I have to be ready and they know that.”

Very level-headed kid. Can't find fault in his logic here at all. I wish him well regardless of his pursuits, though I'm happy to hear that he'll at least stay in South Bend to earn that esteemed ND degree.

BGIF
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Where's the part that sounds like he's gone?

What benefit to a medical career is playing a 5th year anywhere. Graduate from ND and move on to pursue his medical career. He has enough years of focused study and hard work ahead of him. Why sidetrack it? His words, "Big picture".

“Big picture, ... “You have to assess things logically. Obviously Notre Dame is an unbelievable place."

Rhode Irish
01-06-2013, 12:09 PM
I didn't read anything in that article that would lead to the conclusion that "it sounds like he's gone." Actually, sounds like the exact opposite - at least for next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put off med school for a year to get a grad degree in something else so he can get a season to play somewhere, though. He has the rest of his life to be a doctor, but only one more chance to play football.

Praytorian
01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I wanted this guy to start for us this season. The kid has grown into a man, and he must do what will make him (not us) happy. I still want him to start at times when I watch some games but I want him to live his life as he see's fit.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide for yourself (hopefully its here 8D). May you have a blessed life. If you choose to leave ty for being irish.

IrishJayhawk
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I didn't read anything in that article that would lead to the conclusion that "it sounds like he's gone." Actually, sounds like the exact opposite - at least for next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put off med school for a year to get a grad degree in something else so he can get a season to play somewhere, though. He has the rest of his life to be a doctor, but only one more chance to play football.

Exactly how I read it.

scUM Hater
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Will Charlie take him?

Emcee77
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM

Yep, I totally agree. In fact, he probably can't apply to med school while he is in school and playing football. From what I recall of the process my college friends went through in applying to med school, there's an interview component which begins in the fall, i.e. during football season, when there won't be time for him to fly all over country for med school interviews. I highly doubt Hendrix applies to med school until after his football career is over.

Also, there are many excellent one-year master's programs, in things like anatomy and physiology, specifically designed for students who intend to apply to med school and are looking to boost their applications. If I were Hendrix, I would get my degree from ND and then transfer for my 5th year to a school that needs a QB and has a special master's in physiology or something like that. Then, after my football career was over and I had my master's, I'd find a job (hopefully in a field related to medicine but not necessarily ... I know people who waited tables while applying to med school) and go through the app process. My $0.02.

Domina Nostra
01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Hendrix is 6'3", 220 lbs, fast, and not shy of contact. He should try to switch to ILB. :)

dublinirish
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
ahhh when i saw his thread bump i thought he had transferred!

Irishnuke
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Hendrix is 6'3", 220 lbs, fast, and not shy of contact. He should try to switch to ILB. :)

I wish he could get involved more. Maybe some goal line wildcat like Blake Bell.

CHIDomer9
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Cause we need a 4th string linebacker with no defensive experience?

As a QB, he's not good enough at what he is supposed to be good at: being the Blake Bell type running QB. He is very tackleable and does not throw a good ball.

Domina Nostra
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
FOOTBALL TALK!!! I love it.

Cause we need a 4th string linebacker with no defensive experience?

We need someone.

As a QB, he's not good enough at what he is supposed to be good at: being the Blake Bell type running QB. He is very tackleable and does not throw a good ball.

I'm not sure I agree with this. That's like saying Tebow is "supposed" to be good at QB. Everyone that scouts him likes him as a H-back, FB, or TE.

Hendrix is a suprisingly good athlete but, like 99% of good athletes, is not an outstanding QB. So what do you do with him. The obvious answer is H-back, full-back, or TE, but QBs often translate well to a number of positions because they have such a good grasp of what is going on already.

Sherm Sticky
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
I wish he could get involved more. Maybe some goal line wildcat like Blake Bell.
I like this idea

tko
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I like this idea

don't you have a meeting to get to?

BleedBlueGold
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I honestly wouldn't mind using him early in the season for some goal line trickery. Line him up for a goal line carry a couple times, then line him up for a goal line carry only to pass it. That kind of thing keeps opposing teams guessing on defense. It's just one more thing a Def Co has to plan for. Our red zone efficiency last season was awful, imo. I wouldn't mind seeing something be done to help it.

Kak7304
01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Yep, I totally agree. In fact, he probably can't apply to med school while he is in school and playing football. From what I recall of the process my college friends went through in applying to med school, there's an interview component which begins in the fall, i.e. during football season, when there won't be time for him to fly all over country for med school interviews. I highly doubt Hendrix applies to med school until after his football career is over.

Also, there are many excellent one-year master's programs, in things like anatomy and physiology, specifically designed for students who intend to apply to med school and are looking to boost their applications. If I were Hendrix, I would get my degree from ND and then transfer for my 5th year to a school that needs a QB and has a special master's in physiology or something like that. Then, after my football career was over and I had my master's, I'd find a job (hopefully in a field related to medicine but not necessarily ... I know people who waited tables while applying to med school) and go through the app process. My $0.02.

Interviews start in the Fall and continue through the winter and into early Spring. He could easily defer his interviews until January/February after the football season is over. When I went through the interview process, I had a few in January.

Buster Bluth
01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind using him early in the season for some goal line trickery. Line him up for a goal line carry a couple times, then line him up for a goal line carry only to pass it. That kind of thing keeps opposing teams guessing on defense. It's just one more thing a Def Co has to plan for. Our red zone efficiency last season was awful, imo. I wouldn't mind seeing something be done to help it.

What will help the efficiency is simply execution.

Hendrix could certainly be a Blake Bell Lite, if Kelly wants to go in that direction.

BleedBlueGold
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
What will help the efficiency is simply execution.

Hendrix could certainly be a Blake Bell Lite, if Kelly wants to go in that direction.

Agreed. I'm generally not a gimmicky-type person, but at the same time, I'm rooting for Hendrix to finish his football career at ND on a strong note. FWIW, my all-time favorite goal line play is the fake run - jump pass. Tebow ran this to perfection. I recall even Armando Allen ran it during a game I attended. I lost my mind.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PBG2KVSTqcI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whiskeyjack
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
I'd love to see Hendrix turn into our redzone battering ram, but I doubt it will happen. Golson is a much better passer, and is pretty good at scoring with his feet as well. To justify pulling Golson past the 20 yard line, Hendrix would have to improve significantly in several areas.

IrishSteelhead
01-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Although hashed over a million times already, I really do think Kelly sending Hendrix in for a horribly executed sneak broke Crist's rhythm and had an effect (even if slightly) on the next play we all will remember infamously.

No need to get cute or gimmicky in the Red Zone. Golson is far more equipped to score with both his arm and legs than Hendrix, and that is no slight to Hendrix, just a fact. Golson will be a RZ nightmare this season.

Emcee77
01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I'd love to see Hendrix turn into our redzone battering ram, but I doubt it will happen. Golson is a much better passer, and is pretty good at scoring with his feet as well. To justify pulling Golson past the 20 yard line, Hendrix would have to improve significantly in several areas.

This is true ... Golson was great at scoring short yardage rushing TD's this year. If ain't broke don't fix it?

scUM Hater
01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Run some bootleg or option in the redzone. Done deal.

scUM Hater
01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
10 Blake Bell

Class:
Junior

Hometown:
Wichita, Kan.

High School:
Bishop Carroll HS

Height / Weight:
6-6 / 254
Position:
QB

Hendrix:
Class:
Junior

Hometown:
Cincinnati, OH

High School:
Moeller

Height / Weight:
6-2 / 220
Position:
Quarterback

Birthdate:
10/23/1991

There is a big weight diffrence. But who has a bigger heart?

Emcee77
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Wiltfong got a nice interview with Hendrix at a QB clinic in Chicago run by Jeff Christensen, a Chicago-area QB guru.

Hendrix says he has been working with Christensen ever since his freshman year at ND. He finds that working with Christensen in the spring helps him make the transition from non-football winter conditioning work to spring practice. It just helps him get used to throwing the ball around with precision and accuracy again so he can focus more on the mental aspect of running the offense in spring practice and less on the physical aspect of just making accurate throws. Hendrix sounded really upbeat and excited for spring practice and the upcoming season.

IrishLax
05-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Go time?

Andrew Hendrix throwing to TJ Jones and DaVaris Daniels and Davonte Neal we might still have a shot.... oh wait....

**** it, let's just redesign the offense to only run the ball.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Better get in the film room.

Buster Bluth
05-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Hendrix time! He's a quality QB and a former four-star recruit. NEXT MAN IN.

rtrn2glory
05-25-2013, 11:21 PM
neg reps from now on for "next man in" included in posts....stupidest saying of all time

anarin
05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Go time?

Andrew Hendrix throwing to TJ Jones and DaVaris Daniels and Davonte Neal we might still have a shot.... oh wait....

**** it, let's just redesign the offense to only run the ball.

triple option with zaire/hendrix?

BeauBenken
05-25-2013, 11:25 PM
neg reps from now on for "next man in" included in posts....stupidest saying of all time

Somebody is a little sour.

KPENN
05-25-2013, 11:26 PM

I'm so tempted.

dudesthisisthebest
05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Plus side to Hendrix is he has 2 years of eligibility still. He'd add a power dimension to the QB running game. I'm completely grasping for straws.

Junkhead
05-25-2013, 11:50 PM

NEXT MAN I.....

I dare you... just trying to lighten the mood. Being an ND fan is hard work.

pkt77242
05-25-2013, 11:53 PM
NEXT MAN I.....

I dare you... just trying to lighten the mood. Being an ND fan is hard work.

Like banging a fat chick?