PDA

View Full Version : '10 MD OT Arie Kouandijo (Alabma Commit)

NDinL.A.
05-28-2009, 07:44 PM
'10 MD OT Arie Kouandjio
DeMatha High School
Hyattsville, Maryland

Ht: 6-6
Wt: 315
40: 5.2
Bench: 330
Squat: 620
Vertical: 28
GPA: 2.9
Test: 1020 (2 part)

Ranking:
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, #13 OT, Rating 5.9
Scout: :s::s::s:, #30 OT
ESPN: :s::s::s:, #13 OG, Grade 79

Offers:
Alabama (OV 1/15/10)
CAL (OV 12/11/09)
Maryland
Miami (1/22/10)
New Mexico (OV 12/4/09)
ND
Tennessee (1/29/10)

Wake Forest
Boston College
Florida
LSU
North Carolina
Michigan
Ohio State
Pitt
Penn State
etc.

ND Recruiter: Powlus

Decision: National Signing Day

NDinL.A.
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Received offer today. Says it was a 'huge offer'...

IHateMarkMay
05-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Wasn't there a big name out of DeMatha last year or the year before?

notredomer23
05-28-2009, 08:15 PM

I have never even heard of this guy. But the guy your refering to I believe is Jelani Jenkins

The Polish Irishman
05-28-2009, 08:22 PM
This is one "huge" junior

OCIrish
05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Received offer today. Says it was a 'huge offer'...

He says it was "huge", but just how interested is he in the Irish?

Irishlew
05-28-2009, 11:05 PM

looks like he's open to everyone at this point, he said he wants to visit ND.

Synoptico
05-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Wide Receiver Kenny Tate, two years ago

Kenny Tate - Football Recruiting (http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=42550)

OCIrish
05-29-2009, 12:44 AM
I hope he does come for a visit, his size is great for playing OT in college.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Hugely

BGIF
05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
LA,

Check the spelling of his last name. You've typed it the same way I did with the "i" before the "j". I believe the "j" comes first, Kouandjio.

We've apparently made him Latino or is it Hispanic, hmm. He comes from Cameroon.

Anybody know how to pronounce his last name correctly?

BGIF
05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Ranking

Rivals: 4 Star, #23 OT
Scout: 1 Star, NR
ESPN: 150 Watch List

ESPN likes him at Tackle or Guard.

tko
05-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Wide Receiver Kenny Tate, two years ago

Kenny Tate - Football Recruiting (http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=42550)

how my dicTATE

NDinL.A.
05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
LA,

Check the spelling of his last name. You've typed it the same way I did with the "i" before the "j". I believe the "j" comes first, Kouandjio.

We've apparently made him Latino or is it Hispanic, hmm. He comes from Cameroon.

Anybody know how to pronounce his last name correctly?

Thanks, fixed his name (I hope you're right because I have no friggin' clue!)

I've read that his name is pronounced 'Kwan-jo'.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks, fixed his name (I hope you're right because I have no friggin' clue!)

I've read that his name is pronounced 'Kwan-jo'.

Scout, Rivals, and ESPN all spell it that way.

IrishAddiction
05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice to see us going after the beasts on the OL and DL. Random question but this made me think of it. R we holding a spot for seantrel henderson? Im almost positive somebody said we already are but i truthfully dont feel like going through his whole thread looking for it.

IrishInFl
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes, IMO, if what Seantrel says about what he wants to major is true. If he really wants to major in Business, then why not go to the 2nd ranked business school in the country? He's friends with Floyd, and CDH is considered a ND pipeline school, so it just makes too much sense for him to go anywhere else.

NDinL.A.
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice to see us going after the beasts on the OL and DL. Random question but this made me think of it. R we holding a spot for seantrel henderson? Im almost positive somebody said we already are but i truthfully dont feel like going through his whole thread looking for it.

There's always a spot for the #1 recruit in the country. If he wants to come, they'll friggin' hold 2 roster spots open.

And as much as I'd like to agree with you, IrishFL, the truth is that there are also many reasons for Seantrel to go to other schools as well. Especially when it comes to location, a chance at a national championship, and stability within the coaching staff. Now, hopefully we can change the latter 2 reasons with a solid year this year...

BGIF
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
There's always a spot for the #1 recruit in the country. If he wants to come, they'll friggin' hold 2 roster spots open.

And as much as I'd like to agree with you, IrishFL, the truth is that there are also many reasons for Seantrel to go to other schools as well. Especially when it comes to location, a chance at a national championship, and stability within the coaching staff. Now, hopefully we can change the latter 2 reasons with a solid year this year...

AMEN! On all counts.

He may also have an interest in a large campus. Listen to the AMP video.

Irishlew
05-29-2009, 09:16 PM

good points, but then why are alot of "experts" saying his early favorites seem to be scUM and Minnesota?

OCIrish
05-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Lew, when do we bother listening to the "experts"? If it were up to the experts, Manti would be getting to LA in a few days or so. Not trying to be a dick, just thinking that it's too early to worry about Henderson and what he's planning. Yes, we'll hold a scholly as long as he's interested, but I have no problem with offering kids that have the size as Arie.

Irishlew
05-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Lew, when do we bother listening to the "experts"? If it were up to the experts, Manti would be getting to LA in a few days or so. Not trying to be a dick, just thinking that it's too early to worry about Henderson and what he's planning. Yes, we'll hold a scholly as long as he's interested, but I have no problem with offering kids that have the size as Arie.

For sure, i think we'll be in it to the end if we perform on the field this year.

jason_h537
05-30-2009, 12:20 AM
One thing i find funny is him saying he wants to play in a big city because that is what he is used to. Hes from Minnesota, i dont care if hes from Minneapolis, what big city is he used to?

dyrtdogg
05-30-2009, 03:01 AM
One thing i find funny is him saying he wants to play in a big city because that is what he is used to. Hes from Minnesota, i dont care if hes from Minneapolis, what big city is he used to?

He plays ball in the D.C. area, not in MN.

BGIF
05-30-2009, 04:05 AM
He plays ball in the D.C. area, not in MN.

Kouandjio does play in the D.C. area; Henderson is from MN.

About 8 posts down IrishAddiction asked if ND would hold a slot for to NSD for Henderson. Several posters followed up with comments about Henderson. In the process the names of the recruits got dropped and are simply referred to as he. I suspect jason was commenting on Henderson.

jason_h537
05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
thank you BGIF

BGIF
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
ISD Kouandjio Nets Another Special Offer - (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&article=486&category_id=7&Itemid=83)

By Christian McCollum

A couple of my teachers at my school are from ND, so once in awhile, they tell me stuff. They just tell me about how life used to be going to Notre Dame and stuff like that, and it seems pretty interesting.

The Extensive ND Alumni Network surfaces.

30+ offers

Interesting tidbit, a few years ago he wrestled ND OT Lane Clleland and they've stayed in touch.

He's visited WVU UNC PSU CON and UMD.

Wants to major in business 2.9 GPA.

Important factors: education, coaching relationships, and early PT

Details at the LINK

NeuteredDoomer
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
how my dicTATE

Golden.

That's what she said.

Said mine tate's platinum.

OCIrish
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Golden.

That's what she said.

Said mine tate's platinum.

:puke:

Legacy
06-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Next year I want to hear the announcer describe the Kouandijo vs Odighizuwa matchup.

BGIF
06-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Next year I want to hear the announcer describe the Kouandijo vs Odighizuwa matchup.

I just had to wipe my monitor dry.

Reps

BGIF
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
TheBigSpur.com reports:
ND OSU and LSU offer ESPNU 150 Watch List OG Arie Kouandjio, who previously named Cal as his leader after a visit

College Football Recruiting On the Trail 2010 - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/onthetrail)

"(The ND offer) was pretty big, but I think all the offers I get are big. I am happy to know they are interested. I know they have a lot of tradition, but other than that I don't know too much."

"(OSU) came during spring workouts and I sent them my highlight tape. They then called and said they liked it and wanted to offer. I know they have a lot of tradition as well."

"(LSU) offered me three weeks ago. They watched me at my school and was impressed with my highlight tape. I like that they have won two national championships in the last five years."

... "I will be looking at how well I work with the coaching staff, early playing time, and education will be important. It's going to be at the end of the year. I am taking official visits. I don't have any top schools. ... I am completely open."

BGIF
07-20-2009, 09:36 PM
7/20 OL Arie Kouandjio told affiliate Web site BearInsider.com,

I'm trying to stay away from naming top fives and all of that. One thing I can say at least is that I know where I'll be taking two of my official visits. One will be Cal and the other, Alabama. We'll see about the rest.

BostonND
07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Cal and Alabama - There aren't many D1 Football pairs that have such drastically different cultures as those schools

WabashFalcon
07-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Cal and Alabama - There aren't many D1 Football pairs that have such drastically different cultures as those schools

Harvard and Buffalo? Yale and U$C?

BGIF
07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Harvard and Buffalo? Yale and U$C?

Aside that Harvard and Yale aren't Div I, Yale and U$C have a similar culture in one respect, greed is good.

BGIF
07-25-2009, 07:04 AM
TheBigSpur.com - Kouandjio likes Carolina visit (http://www.thebigspur.com/news/story.php?article=3242)

By Josh Low, Reporter 7/24

N.B. The USC is this article refers to South Carolina not the Trojans.

South Carolina had a pretty big visitor on campus on Thursday. Offensive lineman Arie Kouandjio (Hyattsville, Md./DeMatha) has offers from all-around the country, including one from South Carolina and is the type of prospect you oversign for.
South Carolina already has seven commitments on the offensive line but may take more, definitely if it is a guy like Kouandjio. Kouandjio has offers from South Carolina, Penn State, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miami, North Carolina, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Tennessee and more. He visited South Carolina on an unofficial visit for the first time on Thursday and came away impressed.
"The visit went pretty good," Kouandjio said. "I learned a lot more about South Carolina and had a very good time. I got to talk with the academic people about the business school. That went very well because I want to major in business. We took a tour of the campus, watched a highlight video, and talked to the coaches one-on-one."
The talented lineman went on to talk about the facilities and the coaches he spoke with.
"The facilities were great," Kouandjio said. "They actually kind of surprised me. That's how good they were. I got to talk with (USC offensive line coach/run game coordinator) Eric Wolford. He seems like a really great coach. He is a hard worker and works his players hard. I definitely like him. He is a guy I could see myself playing under if I came to South Carolina."
Coach Wolford wasn't the only coach he talked too. He also spoke with Steve Spurrier. He talked about Coach Spurrier and about another possible visit.
"Yeah, I got to meet Coach Spurrier. He told me how much they really want me. He said that he wants to see all of us at South Carolina. Another visit to South Carolina is completely possible. I really liked what I saw, so it's pretty high that I take an official visit to South Carolina."
The 6-foot-6, 315 pounder is not close to making a decision. He talked about when he plans on making a decision, official visits, and if any school currently stands out to him.
"I'm probably going to wait till January or February to make a decision. I'm taking my time with everything. I plan on taking all five of my official visits. Most of my games this year are on Saturdays so I will wait till after my season to take my official visits. I'm really wide open right now. There isn't any schools that are standing out."
Kouandjio will now head down to the state of Florida to visit Florida State, Miami, Florida, and South Florida. ESPN/Scouts Inc. has Kouandjio on the ESPNU150 Watch List.

Another prospect talking about taking official visits and making a January or February decision. The article doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy but if he's waiting ND has a shot at getting his attention through perfomance on the field and through The Mendoza School of Business.

IrishAddiction
07-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I know it shouldnt bug me this early in the recruiting process but i dont like the fact we only have 1 O-line committment. I thought this year would be a great Oline haul, and so far it has been just the opposite.

Hopefully we kick some ass and things come around, but who knows.

jason_h537
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Latina's firing hurt us on the recruiting trail but it will be better in the long run.

WabashFalcon
07-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Latina wasn't cutting it. I'd rater we improve guys we get than see them squander their talent.

BGIF
08-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Profile Updated

BGIF
08-12-2009, 03:51 AM
According to Jesse McCormack, ThaRinger.com Kouandijo is good friends with J.R. Ferguson and thinks there's a good chance they will go to the same school. Bama, CAL, MIA, and UTN are supposed to be the schools recruiting him the hardest. He declined naming favorites. He's been to UF, FSU, MIA, USF, SCA, WVU, and IOWA on unofficials.

BGIF
09-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Per Blue & Gold Illustrated

Arie will take 2 of his officials to Bama and CAL.

UMD, MIA, New Mexico, ND, UTN, and WF will compete for the remaining 3 visits.

BGIF
09-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Profile Updated

BGIF
10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Recruiting Thoughts Written by Brian Smith 20 October 2009
Recruiting Thoughts (http://irishsportsdaily.com/blogs/smittys-blog/1098-recruiting-thoughts)

Arie Kouandjio Ė Just a hunch, but I have a feeling this kid will end up taking a visit to Notre Dame. Note that I have zero inside information about that. Again, zero.

Just a hunch!

wyvrn
11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I got this much off of Blue and Gold, but it is a premium article so I didn't get the whole thing.

Kouandjio Targets Irish For Official Visit

With one offensive tackle on board for the 2010 recruiting class in Palatine (Ill.) Fremdís Christian Lombard, Notre Dame would like to add at least two more to the haul.

One of the less talked about names on the list of remaining prospects is Arie Kouandjio of Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha. Itís not a reflection of his talent, but rather the timeline of his recruitment...

WabashFalcon
11-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Get 'em on campus... and see what happens.

jason_h537
11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
UCONN will be the last chance for a game. Will be an interesting week if Ego, Prater and Kuandjio all do take their visit

IrishAddiction
11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
If he doesnt make it in, we got no chance at landing this kid unless we get him to the come to the banquet somehow.

texas fighting irish
11-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I really hope we can get Kouanijo for a visit we really need some o-line men.

JefMaj
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm sure everyone is on hold for now..........

The Polish Irishman
12-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Have set 3 more OVs to complete his five, ND is not one of them.

BGIF
01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Per Bob Wieneke SBT 1/6

South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame Football: Recruits warming up to new Irish staff (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100106/SPORTS13/100109701/1021/Sports)

I haven't talked to them in a long time. They're starting to slip a little, just for the fact that they haven't been contacting me. There's definitely a chance. There's always a chance.

Arie Kouandjio

WabashFalcon
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Per Bob Wieneke SBT 1/6

South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame Football: Recruits warming up to new Irish staff (http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100106/SPORTS13/100109701/1021/Sports)

Arie Kouandjio

Interesting.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
If this is true, I am shocked because he is one of the top 3 OTs we are looking at with Stone eliminating us. Get to it Kelly! Arie needs some attention

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Misread an article correction below

irish4ever
01-21-2010, 12:10 PM
No longer in contention for Arie

Source?

WabashFalcon
01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
indeed.... source?

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Sorry fellas I misread the article about Arie, completely missed ND being listed. He apparently still has 7, ND included. Has changed plans now: No UT visit, will visit USC.

Top 7: Bama, USC, Miami, Cal, Maryland, New Mexico, ND

BGIF
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
1/21 From Bill Hodge's Recruiting Trail at ESPN
High three-star offensive guard Arie Kouandjio (Hyattsville, Md./DeMatha) no longer plans to visit Miami-FL and has a new school in the mix, ESPN affiliate Web site InsideTheU.com reports.

Big23, is this a different article for your post?

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah I saw that. The new school is USC and I believe visits are now for Maryland this weekend and USC the 29th.

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
FWIW Scout does not list us as a finalist for Arie

Scout.com: Scout 300 Commitment Tracker (http://recruiting.scout.com/2/939802.html)

Flanigan44
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have any more on whether we are still in the running for this recruit?

WabashFalcon
02-01-2010, 12:12 PM
No chance... unless he rolls into ND with his boy Ego on NSD...

Ben E.
02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
No chance... unless he rolls into ND with his boy Ego on NSD...

someone help me out here, who are 'WE" referring to by "EGO"?

thanks in advance!

TerryTate
02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
JR Ferguson - nickname "Ego"

IrishInFl
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I saw on rivals that Arie committed to Alabama today.

The Polish Irishman
02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
ND never had a shot. Updated. Good luck to him and I bet his brother follows him.

vernfootball1
02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Was he seriously considering New Mexico? If so, does any one know why? Does he have a connection or an older brother there, because I know about his little brother

NoJusticeNoPeace
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM
The Alabma Crimsn Tde strike again!

WabashFalcon
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm assuming that the chance to be a big fish in a small oline pond was attractive to him at New Mexico.

IHateMarkMay
02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Actually New Mexico has turned their facilities into state of the art everything. I saw something on ESPN about it and they got a pretty good staff now.

BGIF
02-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Was he seriously considering New Mexico? If so, does any one know why? Does he have a connection or an older brother there, because I know about his little brother

Their Head Coach Mike Locksley has a reputation as an agressive recruiter. Among other stops in his career he coached at Navy and Army. He was also the Recruiting Coordinator for Maryand, Florida, and Illinois. He's recruited across the country with success and had coached quite a few positions. He recruited Arrelious Benn to Illinois and this year he's gotten some prime talent to take a look at New Mexico.