PDA

View Full Version : '10 CA CB Joshua Shaw (Florida Verbal)

BGIF
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
CB
Palmdale CA Palmdale

Ht: 6-2
Wt: 181
Forty: 4.46
Bench: 330
Squat: 405
GPA: 3.1
SAT: 1180

Combine:
40: 4.46
Shuttle: 4.07
Vertical: 35
Shuttle: 4.07
3 Cone: 7.59

Stats '08:
WR: 27 Catches, 445 yds, 5 TDs
CB: 40 Tackles, 6 PBU, 4ints

Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, # 3 CB
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, #13 CB
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:, #4 CB, Grade 82

Offers:
UF, LSU, ND, OSU, OU, USC camp '09, UW, UCLA camp, UM, UTN,
UAZ, ASU, CAL, NU, ORE, ORS, SDS, UUT, BSU

VISITS:
NDu(OV 10/16), OSUu(OV 9/11), UF (OV 9/19), LSU(OV 10/10),
UM, UTN, UCLA(uvcamp '09), USC (uvcamp '09), UW(uv), ORE (uv),

ND Recruiter: Polian, Brown

Decision: 11/17/09 (in time for Early Enrollment) Florida

BGIF
05-23-2009, 11:29 AM
In a 5/20 IrishSportsDaily article by Steve Wiltfong that was a FREEBIE at that time, Shaw had a:

Top 7 of ND ORE UGA, USC, UCLA, UW and ORS.

Yeah, I count 8 too. And actually it's probably grown since OU has since offered and undoubtedly should be in contention. Polian was in town to see him Wednesday. They've talked several time but Shaw already knew a great deal about ND. Seems he and his parents went to South Bend for Opening Day last season. His older brother played for SDS. Joshua is also a huge Bettis fan.

Notre Dame has been my favorite team ... I know if they did offer, they would jump right to the top of my list easy.

NDinL.A.
05-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Also, he said that when he and his family went to the SDSU/ND game last year, that they were all blown away, and that even though his brother plays for SDSU, he was still rooting for ND. He LOVES Notre Dame.

However, he's running into a numbers problem. Of all the positions, CB looks to be the one with the most imminent commitments, in Lo Wood and Boyd, plus Riggs who is perhaps the most likely to commit after his officials. That's 3 off the top of my head, and I believe that's how many CB's we're going after this year...

IrishInFl
05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
It's pretty cool to have this problem. I wasn't sure how many CB we would get after getting one last recruiting season.

BGIF
05-23-2009, 12:53 PM
... However, he's running into a numbers problem. Of all the positions, CB looks to be the one with the most imminent commitments, in Lo Wood and Boyd, plus Riggs who is perhaps the most likely to commit after his officials. That's 3 off the top of my head, and I believe that's how many CB's we're going after this year...

Those 3 look strong, then there's Kacy Rodgers with an offer who wants to visit ND, and Christian Bryant with an offer.

jason_h537
05-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah our cb situation is getting interesting. Hope our Safety situation is just as loaded in the end

NDinL.A.
05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Offered today. Lots of offers out there for CB's, with lots of them very interested in ND, and it'll be interesting to see which 3 jump on board first. Shaw, being a huge ND fan and loving the campus when he came out for his brother's game last year, is one that I'm assuming has huge interest in ND...

IHateMarkMay
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
What is really interesting is that first we were recruiting a kid who was 5-!0 and now we are recruiting a kid who is 6-31...

I know I am a smartass

NDinL.A.
05-28-2009, 08:04 PM
What is really interesting is that first we were recruiting a kid who was 5-!0 and now we are recruiting a kid who is 6-31...

I know I am a smartass

LOL. Get on it BGIF!

***From everything I am readng this kid could very well be our next commit. Kid LOVES ND. Said it was his biggest offer to date. Of course, in another interview last week with USC guys, he was also effusive in his praise of USC and said they were close to offering.

However, his love for ND is genuine. I mean, he rooted for ND last year even though his brother played for San Diego St. This could be commit #5 people...

IHateMarkMay
05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, the teaser on Rivals said that ND vaulted up over Washington (no biggie there) Tennessee (pretty decent, produced Eric Berry), and Oklahoma (can't be a slouch there). Kid must have something that some coaches see in him.

jason_h537
05-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Corwin is building one of the best secondaries in football. There is no surprise that we have the interest of so many corners.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
LOL. Get on it BGIF! ...

Anybody that hates markmay can't be dumbass.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 09:59 AM
LOL. Get on it BGIF! ...

Acutally I believe I was getting some well deserved payback. Hoisted on my own petard. Reps to the mayman!

BGIF
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM

Had it not been that I read LA's post first I would have responded here that ND has been trending to taller CBs with not quite safety bulk to cover the tall WRs and play Nickle.

Wonder if there's any 7-11 receivers out there. If not I can make one.

IHateMarkMay
05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Had it not been that I read LA's post first I would have responded here that ND has been trending to taller CBs with not quite safety bulk to cover the tall WRs and play Nickle.

Wonder if there's any 7-11 receivers out there. If not I can make one.

Hmmmm... making one might take 9 months and then 18 years for him to get there... we might be okay 20 years from now... Just saying though, if thats what you want to do then go ahead hahaha

BGIF
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Hmmmm... making one might take 9 months and then 18 years for him to get there... we might be okay 20 years from now... Just saying though, if thats what you want to do then go ahead hahaha

I was referring to my keyboard dexterity or lack thereof.

In a biblical sense I'd need a really tall wannabe mom to cooperate. I might rise to the occasion for the cause but I don't think Mrs BGIF is that big an ND fan.

IHateMarkMay
05-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I was referring to my keyboard dexterity or lack thereof.

In a biblical sense I'd need a really tall wannabe mom to cooperate. I might rise to the occasion for the cause but I don't think Mrs BGIF is that big an ND fan.

Haha, my girlfriend is an ND fan by association, then I showed her a picture of Brady Quinn and she actualy took a bit of interest.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
According to Greg Biggins ESPN, in an interview last week UTN was his leader. Shaw also noted that he would graduate early so he could play Spring Ball.

IrishInFl
05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Did ND offer him this week? Do you think this will change his consideration that Tennessee is his top school?

BGIF
05-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Did ND offer him this week? Do you think this will change his consideration that Tennessee is his top school?

Yes, yesterday.

I don't know. I didn't see the the early report Biggins refers to in his piece today:

Irish offer Jones and Shaw Notre Dame always recruits the Golden State hard and the Irish were active on Thursday offering two of the state's top prospects. RB Malcolm Jones CA Westlake Village Oaks Christian and DB Joshua Shaw CA Palmdale both picked up offers from the Irish. ... As for Shaw, he said the offer from the Irish was a long time coming. "They had been hinting an offer was coming for awhile now," Shaw said. "I kept thinking every week that this would be the week I got that offer from them, but now it's finally official. "I definitely plan to check out Notre Dame and I'm very interested in that program. They have a great combination of academics and athletics and I love their tradition. CAL ASU and CU offered me as well so things have really picked up for me in the last few weeks." Shaw told us earlier in the week UTN was his current leader and he's planning to graduate in January, so he can enroll in time for spring ball.

Nine days ago Wiltfong, ISD, reported Shaw's list was:

Top 7 of ND ORE UGA, USC, UCLA, UW and ORS

BGIF
05-29-2009, 03:15 PM
FWIW,

ESPN ranks his schools in his profile as: ND UTN ORE UW OU

BGIF
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
... Do you think this will change his consideration that Tennessee is his top school?

Yes, according to this ISD piece he could commit before visiting ND.

Touted athlete Joshua Shaw spoke with ESPN affiliate Web site IrishSportsDaily.com about his recent Notre Dame offer, "It's a dream come true. I've always wanted this offer. I'm really excited about it."

Shaw added that a commitment could come before visiting South Bend, Ind., "That's probably 50/50 right now. I need to talk it over with my parents. I might just wait and make sure it's definitely the right fit for me, but I think it is. Out of all the offers I have this is the best one. I've just had the best day."

Keep in mind Shaw and his parents visited ND last Fall to watch his brother play in the SDS game against ND. The folks have seen the school so questions about travel, distance and such they've already dealt with.

I never did find a UTN interview.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 03:37 PM
There's a bonus with Shaw, he's graduating early. As an EE ND could count him against last year's undersized class.

IrishInFl
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
A quadruple post! Nice!

Why would an EE count against last year's class? I really don't know the rules for EE.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 04:12 PM
A quadruple post! Nice!

Over a 1/2 hour. I read slowly. I type slower.

Why would an EE count against last year's class? I really don't know the rules for EE.

Two significant recruiting rules, 25/85.

25 max in a class. 85 max (scholarships) on a team.

Student-athletes graduating early (December) can enroll (EE, Early Enrollment) in college in Jan (2nd semester). They count against the next incoming class (2010) unless there is a vacancy in the preceeding class (2009).

Use ND as an example. In '09 ND signed 18, 7 less than the 25 max. So they still have room for 7 more EEs this year (2010) providing they don't exceed the 85 max rule. I can't give you ND's scholarship total as Weis will probably offer an upperclassman walk-on or two scholarships this summer. That's S.O.P. But ND is currently under the 85.

By next Feb the graduating seniors will be deducted likewise any transfers, academic casualties, Res Life casualites, and those with career ending injuries. That usually dictates how many can be signed on NSD. BUT if you have room in the preceeding class the EE can be counted there. If you have no room there EEs are counted against the incoming class. It's actully the schools choice where they want to apply them. They could split them across the previous class and the incoming class to allow for redshirt positioning.

This is one of the ways SEC sign 35 kids. Some are JUCOs refilling upperclassmen vacancies. Some are EEs and can be counted against the previous years. Some sign although the school knows they are academically non-qualifiers who will not be admitted (See Alabama's #1 Class last year), and some are "grayshirts". Grayshirts have to play their own way until a scholarship opens up (graduation/flunkees, etc).

Hope that helps.

IrishInFl
05-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Is it really fair to say that Alabama had the #1 class in 08 when some were not admitted? I ask this, because it would mean that ND had the #1 class of 08

What would be the better situation: Have Shaw count towards the 09 class or the 10 class, in our case?

NDinL.A.
05-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Is it really fair to say that Alabama had the #1 class in 08 when some were not admitted? I ask this, because it would mean that ND had the #1 class of 08

What would be the better situation: Have Shaw count towards the 09 class or the 10 class, in our case?

When Alabama had all those thugs, errr, student-athletes arrested and kicked out of school, ND moved up to the number 1 class. So it's already widely accepted that ND had the #1 class in '08. Now for the results...

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Actually, when all was said and done and Alabama had determined how many athletes were actually going to qualify, Rivals redid the recruitment rankings and announced us as the #1 class in 08.

As for Shaw, if he were to commit to the Irish and enroll early, it would be in the best interest of ND to count him towards the 09 class because we were so far under the scholarship maximum per year.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
When Alabama had all those thugs, errr, student-athletes arrested and kicked out of school, ND moved up to the number 1 class. So it's already widely accepted that ND had the #1 class in '08. Now for the results...

Widely accepted among ND fans, and maybe those of Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Virginia. Nobody else cared.

In '08 Rivals did two lists one for Signees in Feb and one for Enrollees in Aug. Who got kick out of school wasn't considered. Who did't get into school did. Among the academic casualties Bama lost a pair of 4 Star players to MLB. They sign on the hope that when they drop out of baseball that they'll come home to mama.

However the enrollee list strictly is an exercise. When Rivals does a writeup on class rankings or talks about who won the recruiting sweepstakes they use the Signee Rankings. When they reviewed the Class of '09 Signing they wrote about Bama winning - again. I don't think that's right but that's what they do.

</title> <script language="javascript" src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/1014.js"></script> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://vmedia.rivals.com/css/sharedstyles.css"> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://vmedia.rivals. (http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2008)

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - New No. 1 in enrolled team recruiting rankings (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=843421)

In Bama's case it's similar to the way they count National Championships.

jason_h537
05-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Rivals has him saying he plans to commity in November and will be in attendance for the USC game. as far as i know Shaw will be there, so will Dietrich Riley, Tailer Jones, Jordan James, Kyle Prater, and Dion Bailey. Its still early however so morenames can be added or dropped

BGIF
05-31-2009, 08:18 AM
YouTube - #2 Joshua Shaw-Palmdale High School-2008 Defensive Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ic7Zr3X-Q&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Endnation%2Ecom%2Fboards%2F showpost%2Ephp%3Fb%3Dfootball%3Bpid%3D144857%3Bd%3 Dthis&feature=player_embedded)

jason_h537
05-31-2009, 04:58 PM
He will be a 4 star by signing day

BGIF
06-01-2009, 01:57 AM
He will be a 4 star by signing day

His offer list looks like 4 Star material. He's got offers from the entire PAC-10 less USC, UCLA, and SU. He's got OU and NU among others from the Big 12. UTN from the SEC. BSU and UUT and of course ND.

jason have you seen his stats at the Nike Camp in Palo Alto?

BGIF
06-01-2009, 02:23 AM
I went digging and found the site for the Nike Stanford Camp.

Nike Combine 2009 - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/combine/nike?campId=45)

Unfortunately they only show data for 9 campers. There are pages of name with no data. So I can't confirm that the data shown in his ESPN profile (used for the Profile in this Thread) is the latest.

jason_h537
06-01-2009, 04:19 AM
No i couldnt find any numbers on him, but Tim Prister of Rivals does say he impressed.

BGIF
06-01-2009, 05:18 AM
I went digging and found the site for the Nike Stanford Camp.

Nike Combine 2009 - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/combine/nike?campId=45)

Unfortunately they only show data for 9 campers. There are pages of name with no data. So I can't confirm that the data shown in his ESPN profile (used for the Profile in this Thread) is the latest.

The data in his ESPN profile is not from Palo Alto but from the LA Under Armour Combine run at the end of March.

Shaw posted a 4.46 40-yard dash, 4.07 20-yard shuttle, 7.59 three-cone drill and a 35-inch vertical at the Los Angeles Under Armour Combine.

BGIF
06-01-2009, 10:23 AM
12/1 Per Allen Wallace Scout

Joshua Shaw will attend camp at the UCLA June 6 and at USC Rising Stars camp.

They both are recruiting me, but havenít offered yet. Thatís why they arenít in my top five right now. If they offer, theyíll definitely be up there too.

For now he favors ND slightly over UTN UW OU and NU.

BGIF
06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
or say 5 Days in the life and emotional roller coaster of a recruit.

June 1: If USC and UCLA offer they'll be in my Top 5.

May 29: 50/50 ND

May 27: Shaw has an SEC leader Tennessee became the latest school to offer Palmdale (Calif.) DB Joshua Shaw and the Vols immediately jumped to the top of his list. "That's my top choice right now," Shaw said. "They have a legendary coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball. Monte Kiffin would be great to learn from and I know he could prepare me for the next level because he has been there and knows what it takes to get there. "I need to start narrowing my list down soon here because I plan to graduate early so I can enroll in time to participate in spring ball. Oklahoma is another school I like a lot but I'm still open and want to take some visits early in the year before I make my decision Biggins ESPN

IrishAddiction
06-05-2009, 11:42 PM
June 1:[/B] If USC and UCLA offer they'll be in my Top 5.

USC offered yesterday. They are in his top 5, along with Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Washington and Tennessee. He is camping at UCLA on Saturday hoping for an offer. If they do they will make his top 5 as well. Link below.

Trojans offer Shaw - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=West_Recruiting&entryID=4234295)

jason_h537
06-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Still like our chances with this kid and wouldnt be surprised to see him wearing the Gold n Blue

GOLDENISTHYTATE
06-06-2009, 04:49 PM
He does seem very hyped about ND doesn't he? I just want to get him on campus, I'll let the dome speak for itself.

jason_h537
06-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Top3 are USC, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame. Plans to visit by July.

IHateMarkMay
06-09-2009, 07:59 AM
He's probably seeing all of the recruiting violations by UT lately.

JeremyND07
06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I like this kids size for a DB! He will be a 4 star by the end of the year!

IrishInFl
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
How is not a 4* now? I mean I know that game highlights are just that, highlights, but that video was pretty impressive. Shaw could be a major steal.

jason_h537
06-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Cuz Cali kids are always underrated

Irishlew
06-15-2009, 08:57 AM
taken from Chris Martin's Facebook.

California WR Kenneth Scott wrote.

"Kenneth Scott-Lolz I'm serious broo....me && my boii josh shaw been sayin when ND offer me we gonna commit together...."

ND is currently waiting on film from Scott before making the decision to offer.

BGIF
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM

Better hope Saracino isn't reading Facebooks.

sportallyr
06-15-2009, 10:37 AM

What is the deal with Kenneth Scott? Never heard of him. Is he worth offering?

BGIF
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
What is the deal with Kenneth Scott? Never heard of him. Is he worth offering?

6-3 198 4.6 CA Ontario Colony

Rivals 4Star #41 WR

Offers: CU, CSU, SDS, UUT, UTEP, UID

If ND is only taking one more WR I doubt it's him at this time. I think their chasing big fish for that last slot. This kid doesn't appear to be an improvement over Daniels and Jackson.

NDinL.A.
06-27-2009, 11:09 AM
In a Rivals interview, he said his top 3 are U$C, ND, and Washington. I'll literally puke if he goes to U$C, as he has repeatedly said that education is important to him...

tko
06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
In a Rivals interview, he said his top 3 are U$C, ND, and Washington. I'll literally puke if he goes to U$C, as he has repeatedly said that education is important to him...

SC has a good film school, LOLOL

jason_h537
06-27-2009, 04:29 PM
From what ive read i would say ND is in the lead. Check out his film. Will be a 4 star, gaurantee that.

IHateMarkMay
07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Top 5 of USC, UW, OSU, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame. One thing in his rivals interview that peaked my interest was that he said it has always been his goal to get out of California.

Polish Leppy 22
07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
That I liked. I didn't like him gushing about USC for about half of that interview

NDinL.A.
07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
That I liked. I didn't like him gushing about USC for about half of that interview

I know, but remember that the interview was after a USC camp done by a USC guy, so there was a major slant towards USC. That was to be expected. It's gonna be close between USC and ND, but he's had a love for ND his entire life, so we have that going for us. I mean, he even rooted against his brother when they played ND. I keep telling myself that when I hear how much he likes USC!!!

big daddy
07-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Most likely he's going to be a condom. He does have good offers, but in the end his video clearly showed he's in love with the University of South Central.

jason_h537
07-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Still think he ends up Irish. We got Polian and Brown on him, those are probably our 2 best recruiters. Just wait till we get him on campus.

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 04:11 AM
I dunno... with Fauria transfering, that gives us another scholly for this class. Maybe offer his buddy and then sit him out a year? You can never have too few fast guys for Special Teams. NEVER... unless they are on PAT.

jason_h537
07-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Ideally you really only want to take about 25 guys, this ain't Alabame afetr all

BGIF
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Ideally you really only want to take about 25 guys, this ain't Alabame afetr all

At ND you want to take in the low 20's which allows for 5th years.

And when you have openings in the last recruiting class and have EE (like this year) you can make like Alabama and take more.

jason_h537
07-03-2009, 08:52 PM
At ND you want to take in the low 20's which allows for 5th years.

And when you have openings in the last recruiting class and have EE (like this year) you can make like Alabama and take more.

Agree on the low 20's class, but the more guys you take, the higher you risk transfers (06 class). Unlike Bama, our commits qualify every year.

NDinL.A.
07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Agree on the low 20's class, but the more guys you take, the higher you risk transfers (06 class). Unlike Bama, our commits qualify every year.

Losing a kid to transfer that's never going to make the 2 deep is not a big deal. All it does, if you have healthy #'s, is make for fodder for message board dorks who want to trash ND for losing a player. USC takes 5 stars constantly, fills their classes with stud after stud, and has no problem with letting the players compete, while letting the lesser players transfer. Transfer students are transferring for a reason, and usually it's PT (unless you mess with ResLife, that is...

BGIF
07-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Losing a kid to transfer that's never going to make the 2 deep is not a big deal. All it does, if you have healthy #'s, is make for fodder for message board dorks who want to trash ND for losing a player. USC takes 5 stars constantly, fills their classes with stud after stud, and has no problem with letting the players compete, while letting the lesser players transfer. Transfer students are transferring for a reason, and usually it's PT (unless you mess with ResLife, that is...

From a solely a football perspective I agree but I don't believe UND agrees. They expect every student admitted to graduate. UND does not want a turnover transfer rate. This makes the recruiting process tougher at ND where the coaches are expected by the fans to find talented athletes to win games while the Administration requires them to recruit students who can compete in the classroom.

One other aspect that's important with ND transfers. USC can replace a lost Jr with a plug in 20 year old JUCO that's been in a college weightroom for 2 or 3 years. Think OJ Simpson. USC has a JUCO in the current class, if I recall correctly. Josh Heupel stepped in at OU but not as a rookie freshman. If ND spends two years training and developing a young athlete only to lose him to transfer they have to replace him with a 17 or 18 year old and build his body and mind into a Div 1 athlete. Some kids can step in at true freshman but the large volume we've seen in the past few years is largely a product of the poor recruiting and transfers stemming from the Willingham years.

NDinL.A.
07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
From a solely a football perspective I agree but I don't believe UND agrees. They expect every student admitted to graduate. UND does not want a turnover transfer rate. This makes the recruiting process tougher at ND where the coaches are expected by the fans to find talented athletes to win games while the Administration requires them to recruit students who can compete in the classroom.

As I was typing it, I had a strong feeling my argument was flawed, but I pressed the send button anyways. You bring up some good points. I stand corrected.

jason_h537
07-03-2009, 11:52 PM

Emmanual Moody and Vidal Hazelton transferred, both were 5 stars. Players will always leave because of playing time.

BGIF
07-04-2009, 01:35 AM
As I was typing it, I had a strong feeling my argument was flawed, but I pressed the send button anyways. You bring up some good points. I stand corrected.

I don't know that your argument was flawed nor that you need to stand corrected. What you said applies to most college football programs.

BGIF
07-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Emmanual Moody and Vidal Hazelton transferred, both were 5 stars. Players will always leave because of playing time.

Once again with the hyperbole, "always". How soon we forget. Rosters are loaded with players who didn't transfer. Lou Holtz made RB Autry Denson a CB for 1 game. Denson fought his way back to RB and set the ND career rushing mark. McDougal was the heir apparent QB in the summer of '93, he had lettered at QB behind Mirer. Then Ron Powlus stepped on campus and won the position in preseason camp. Holtz announced Powlus the starter. McDougal could have bolted like the Olsen girls, Rueland and others. Powlus got hurt and Kevin almost won a NC ring. Tom Krug was a talented QB and spent his career backing up Powlus. Petitgout got a chance as a Jr went Clevenger developed back problems. A year later he was a 1st Round Draft Pick to everybodies surprise except his.

Moody and Hazelton actually fit NDinL.A.'s statement:

USC takes 5 stars constantly, fills their classes with stud after stud, and has no problem with letting the players compete, while letting the lesser players transfer.

5 Stars on the recruiting service board but "the less player" in the competition on that practice field.

jason_h537
07-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Damn i hate you, plus i worded it wrong. What i meant to say, and i wont use always. the main reason players transfer, whetherthey state it or not, is playing time. It may fit NDinLA's statement, but it read like he said the lesser players transfer because they cant compete with 5 stars.

NDinL.A.
07-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Damn i hate you, plus i worded it wrong. What i meant to say, and i wont use always. the main reason players transfer, whetherthey state it or not, is playing time. It may fit NDinLA's statement, but it read like he said the lesser players transfer because they cant compete with 5 stars.

No, I meant it the way BGIF read it. The best players, regardless of stars or points or stickers or whatever they come in, win jobs at USC (and elsewhere). Stars mean crap when you lace them up and go head to head against someone. There are thousands of examples of lesser heralded players beating out the hyped kids...

jason_h537
07-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Shaw starting to make plans to visit his top schools

West Recruiting Blog - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=West_Recruiting)

BGIF
07-11-2009, 03:30 AM
by Greg Biggins ESPN 7/19

Joshua Shaw is Rivals #23 CB with 3 Stars but expect this kid to rise in the recruiting rankings. Biggins believes Shaw might be the most physical CB in the West. He dominanted receivers at the LOS at the Nike Camp held at Stanford. He's no longer a "regional recruit" either. In addition to his early ND offer plus a slew of PAC 10 offers including USC, UCLA, CAL, ORE, and UW he's added offers from OU, NU from the Big 12, OSU from the Big 10, and UTN and soon LSU from the SEC. Some of the new offers have changed his top 5 list.

OSU is my most recent offer and I'm very interested in them right now. Right now, I'm planning to take an unofficial visit to OSU and ND the same weekend in August. I don't have the exact dates but I'm going to fly in to South Bend one morning, spend the day there and then drive to Columbus the next day and then fly home out of Columbus. I'm going to officially visit both schools as well and those visits will both be when they play USC.

OSU opens the season with USC on 9/12. ND plays USC on 10/17.He's currently planning an official to LSU.

LSU is going to offer me and I'm going to lock in my visit with them as soon as they do. I'm looking to visit the weekend they play Florida (Oct. 10) and that's all I have set right now.

He's another CA kid who's going to use his Officials to visit out of state schools but will make unofficials to USC and UCLA as he already knows them both. He also plans to visit UW on an unofficial. OU and UTN are likely candidatates for his last two Officials Shaw still plans to graduate in December for Early Enrollment so he intends to take all official visits in season.

NDinL.A.
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Might not make it to ND when he visits Ohio State this summer b/c of time issues, but that's not an affront to ND. He and his family are being diligent in their recruiting, and they've already seen ND and have already set up an OV for the USC game. WOuld have loved to have seen him on campus again, but we'll still see him in October...

Dacian_Irish
07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I think Shaw would be a huge get. Not only can he play CB but he could probably play Safety too. Very versitile player that in my opinion is another must get, especially with our current lack of safety situation.

jason_h537
07-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Thisb guy is a TRUE CB. Not like Slaughter who is a Safety with CB skills when he came on campus. Shaw will not play safety at the next level. Guy can cover with the best of them.

BGIF
07-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Thisb guy is a TRUE CB. Not like Slaughter who is a Safety with CB skills when he came on campus. Shaw will not play safety at the next level. Guy can cover with the best of them.

Ah sorry "coach" but AZ_Irish is correct.

Shaw is a versatile athlete that could play anywhere in the secondary particularly considering ND's depth in the secondary. At 6-2 187 and entering his Senior HS season, Shaw probably still has some growing to do and Div 1 weight training to go. There aren't many 6-2 or 6-3 corners but there are lot of Safeties in that range.

Bobby Taylor was selected to All-American Teams both as a Safety and as a Corner.

Harrison was a Safety in HS and played OLB at ND because that's where he was needed at the time. Now he's a Safety.

Dacian_Irish
07-18-2009, 05:03 AM
He could also play the nickle corner because of his size. The dude is a stud athlete with size... gotta have him!!

BGIF
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Rivals upgraded their Top 100 awarding Joshua Shaw a 4th Star and making him #45 on their Top 100.

jason_h537
07-22-2009, 12:46 AM
The guy is a stud.

WabashFalcon
07-22-2009, 04:37 AM
I want this cat.... hardcore.

jason_h537
07-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Recently offered by Michigan and like the immediate play time he can get there. Says that Chris Martin is on him alot and got achanceto hang out at the Gridiron Kings.

WabashFalcon
07-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Michigan now? REALLY?!?!? This kid is going to give me a heart attack come National Signing Day...

IrishInFl
07-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Or maybe he will take my genius plan of choosing between Michigan and USC, then throw those hats in the garbage and take out a ND cap!

BGIF
07-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Jumped 20 slots in Rivals latest CB Rankings from #23 to #3.

WabashFalcon
07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Jumped 20 slots in Rivals latest CB Rankings from #23 to #3.

And people were bitching about him being YET ANOTHER 3 star...

BGIF
07-28-2009, 02:41 AM
And people were bitching about him being YET ANOTHER 3 star...

Could it be that the ND recruiting staff is out in front of the recruiting gurus in evaluating talent?

IrishAddiction
07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
nah no way what the hell do they know. their just college football coaches.

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
07-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Could it be that the ND recruiting staff is out in front of the recruiting gurus in evaluating talent?
That very well could be the case. There is no doubt that the ND coaches know talent.

WabashFalcon
07-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Any chance he can get a fifth star before the end of the recruiting cycle?

BGIF
07-29-2009, 01:56 AM

He doesn't have far to go. He's Rivals #3 CB. Both #1 and #2 are 5 Stars.

WabashFalcon
07-29-2009, 02:21 AM
We gotta lock this kid down...

NDsuperfan09
07-29-2009, 03:50 AM

Chances are highly likely with a great senior year. Lamarcus Joyner is the best CB in the country, but I think Shaw isn't far behind. The other 5* (Darius Milliner) is overrated. He should be rated a 5* ATH, but as a DB he is nothing more than a 4* at this point and isn't on the same level as Shaw.

texas fighting irish
07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Did shaw grow up an irish fan or am i thinking of someone else? How many CB are we taking this year anyways?

DirtySecret
07-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Did shaw grow up an irish fan or am i thinking of someone else? How many CB are we taking this year anyways?

I think we have one more spot but if Riggs(hopefully) commits to ND they'll take him and Shaw..

texas fighting irish
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice i would take Shaw and Riggs in a heartbeat.

BGIF
08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Midwest Recruiting Blog - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=Midwest_Recruiting)

Per Kurelic 9/3/09

I'm a fan of Big Ten football. I like the three power house teams, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

Holding 2 dozen offers, Shaw has put together a list of 10: OSU, UM, PSU, USC, UCLA, UW, LSU, UTN, OU, and ND. Interestingly, PSU has yet to offer. Shaw still plans to visit OSU on 9/12 vs. USC, LSU on 10/10 vs. UF, and ND on 10/17 vs. USC. He has two officials left that he intends to fill.

I'll definitely take all five official visits, but I won't take any to West Coast schools. UCLA, USC and Washington won't get official visits. All the schools are even. If I had to make a decision today it would be like picking out of a hat.

It may "be like picking out of a hat" but would all 10 names be in the hat?

Skipping officials to the West Coast schools makes sense, several other CA kids are planning to do the same. But with 3 OVs already scheduled only 2 more campuses will make the cut. UM, PSU, UTN, and OU in the hunt for the remaining 2 visits.

He could opt for PSU @ UM on 10/24 and at least see the 2 teams play live. That would leave UTN and OU, and perhaps PSU scrambling for the last OV.

texas fighting irish
08-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Hope Martin is still talking to shaw to come to ND well it lookls like every recruit wants to go to the u$c game hope we give them a show

BGIF
08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
ESPN reports per Bucknuts.com

I already had a strong interest in Ohio State. I'm glad my parents got to go out there. I can (now) feel comfortable saying they are my leader. As far as the visits I've been on, Ohio State was ten times better than the other ones. Ohio State is my leader. Everyone else is even.

I was most impressed with how important football is there. I saw how much more important it is out there than it is on the West Coast. People knew who I was when I was walking around.

In addition to OSU he's considering USC, UCLA, UW, ND, LSU, OU, UTN, UM, and PSU. All but PSU have offered. He's been to USC, UCLA, UW, ORE, and OSU according to ESPN.

IrishAddiction
08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
how many different leaders has this kid had? it just seems like every month there is a different one.

NDinL.A.
08-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Before we pile on the kid like I've seen on other websites, Shaw is one of those kids that talks a little too much to the media, not knowing how much he says effects the lives of those who follow recruiting so damn closely. It was right after a visit, talking to an OSU site, and he was excited. He has said basically the same thing after every visit, although yes he did say it a bot more vociferously this time. Remember, he was late to the recruiting game, so all this is new to him. FL just offered; wait until he gets out there.

This recruitment is going to go down to the wire. He loved OSU, but wait until he gets to ND for the USC game. Everyone will know who he is also, it is setting up as one of the games of the year in college football, and ND was his favorite school growing up. You don't think he'll be saying we're his new leaders if we're at least competitive with them? And then he'll visit USC again and remember how great they are and that they're local and maybe they'll be his leader. This will be going down to the wire with this kid, so my advice with Shaw is just to sit back and let it play out. ND recruiting guys who talk to him say we'll be there until the end, and that's good enough for me...

IrishAddiction
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
.....FL just offered; wait until he gets out there....

you mean with all those hot girls and florida weather?!? dammit, its over. lol jk jk. you make a good point though, guess i shouldnt get on a kid who is just really excited over a particular school after visiting it.

BGIF
08-11-2009, 05:59 AM
per Gregg Biggins ESPN 8/10

DB Shaw likes Ohio State - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4389216&name=West_Recruiting)

Ohio State is definitely my leader right now. I can't even tell you how great the trip was for me. Everything went great and I can't think of a single negative to say about the visit. So many things stood out it's hard to pick just one but the environment was probably the thing that stands out the most.

Everyone is crazy for football there and I love the passion the people have for Buckeye football. It's a place I can definitely see myself at for my collegiate years. Heading in to the trip, I thought I might not like Columbus that much but I was just blown away and felt very comfortable there.

Shaw has Official Visits set for OSU (9/11), LSU (10/9) ND (10/16), UF (/19)

They just offered me last night. I've liked Florida for awhile so I was excited to get that offer and will visit (Sept. 19) when they play Tennessee. My last visit will be to Michigan, Oklahoma or Tennessee. I will know in a couple of weeks and I'm just going to wait and see which school needs me the most and where I think I could be most comfortable over the next four years. I'm also planning to check out a USC practice this weekend and UCLA next weekend. I'm graduating early so I would love to have my decision made on Christmas day if I could.

jason_h537
08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
OSU fans believe he will commit after his OV there. His interest in USC has wavered because of the NCAA investigation.

WabashFalcon
08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh Jason! Our Reps have died! Our post counts dwindle! But thank you for the news on Shaw... lol.

IrishAddiction
08-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Shaw as a christmas gift to ND sounds good to me. Kid is definately an athlete.

OSU pushing hard in Cali is surprising to me, i cant remember them having many players at all from there..... actually cant remember any players from there.

BGIF
09-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Shaw took an unoffical to UW to see the LSU game. He be in Columbus for the USC game this weekend and will be in the Swamp when UF plays the Vols.

BillyIrish
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
a lot of people around here in Columbus seem to think Shaw is a lock and could commit to the buckeyes after this weekend. any truth to this?

BGIF
09-09-2009, 12:00 PM
a lot of people around here in Columbus seem to think Shaw is a lock and could commit to the buckeyes after this weekend. any truth to this?

Look back about 5 or 6 posts.

IHateMarkMay
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM

I had been hearing he is an OSU lean for a while.

NDinL.A.
09-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Had a tremendous visit to OSU for the USC game, cemented their #1 status, but said he would continue to take all his visits. Went to the USC/WSU game on an unofficial visit last night...

ant80
09-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Had a tremendous visit to OSU for the USC game, cemented their #1 status, but said he would continue to take all his visits. Went to the USC/WSU game on an unofficial visit last night...He went to Florida in between those games as well. Very high on the Gator as well. But at this time, it seems like he's OSU's to lose.

BGIF
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Per Greg Biggins

Shaw will take his third official visit of the year this weekend to LSU after earlier visiting OSU and UF.

"I hadn't heard from LSU in awhile so I didn't know if they were still recruiting me," Shaw said. "I've always liked them and they were one of my early favorites but when I didn't hear from them in awhile, I thought maybe they were going in a different direction.
"Then just last week, they contacted me to see if I was still visiting and I said I definitely still wanted to. I wanted to visit Michigan but it was never official, I never had a firm date or anything.
"Right now, I still have Notre Dame and Oklahoma set and I'm going to take another unofficial visit to Florida. I'm going to try and get out there when they play Florida State but if not then, it will be for the Vandy game. I also want to check out Miami. I've always liked the 'U', they have great tradition and I love that swagger."

jonesman
10-08-2009, 10:48 PM
This kid is taking full advantage of the recruiting process to see all the big games he can.

BGIF
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Profile updated

The Polish Irishman
10-20-2009, 11:10 AM
TE Richardson picks Iowa State; Shaw considering Irish - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4579360&name=West_Recruiting&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4579360%26name%3dWest _Recruiting)

From his review, I would say it is going to be a tough pull for the irish. Nice to see Riley did some pushups.

JefMaj
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Check out Riley's comments about Shaw:

Riley plans to visit Notre Dame again after great visit - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4576449&name=West_Recruiting&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4576449%26name%3dWest _Recruiting)

JefMaj
10-21-2009, 10:04 AM
The more the merrier - This team could fill up fast. The stable will get stocked!!!

irishandy
10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Wow, awesome comments by both Shaw and Riley.

texas fighting irish
10-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Glad that they had a great time. Is ohio state still in the lead for Shaw?

jason_h537
10-24-2009, 12:02 AM
from what i read Ohio St and Florida are still in the lead

Domer4ever
10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Does anyone else think it would be great to play Ohio State in a bowl game and kick the crap out of them with a couple of our top targets (Henderson/Shaw) also looking hard at the Buckeyes?

Brown
10-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Don't forget Joyner too

NDinL.A.
10-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I honestly think we have little shot with this kid. He had OSU first since the spring game, then went there for the SC game, and and after the ND trip he said all the right things, but then said it wasn't the loudest stadium he's been in, and that the twon was too slow for him. And he hasn't taken his FL visit yet (wait 'til he sees those women out there).

And last night, he took in the USC game on an unofficial. I think it's OSU, then FL, then ND and SC tied for third, perhaps with SC passing us up...

jason_h537
10-25-2009, 05:59 AM
on the positive side it appears we hit a homerun with Joyner. i would be shocked if we dont end up with at least one of the 3 big names at corner we are still pursuing

Domer4ever
10-25-2009, 07:00 AM
on the positive side it appears we hit a homerun with Joyner. i would be shocked if we dont end up with at least one of the 3 big names at corner we are still pursuing

I hope this is true since we badly need the help at that spot and they have a chance to play immediately. I dont think that is the case in some of these other schools in play for these guys like USC and Florida.

NDinL.A.
11-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Shaw cancelled his trip to Oklahoma and instead will take a trip to Miami, where he likes how they are bringing their swagger back. He says they have a legit shot at him. He will also unofficially visit Florida this weekend, for his 2nd visit. Wants to see how well he fits in with everybody and if he'll enjoy living there for the next 4-5 years.

It continues to look as if ND has fallen way back with him...

BGIF
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
After returning from a visit to Gainsville, Shaw has decided to change his announcement date from Christmas Day to Tuesday Nov 17th. OSU lead but according to Greg Biggins ESPN the change in announcement date following his UF visit seems to put the Gators in the lead now.

IrishAddiction
11-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Flip, Flop, Flip, Flop...... so far i have heard ND, USC, OSU, FL have all been his leader..... probably more than that its just off the top of my head.

NDinL.A.
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Flip, Flop, Flip, Flop...... so far i have heard ND, USC, OSU, FL have all been his leader..... probably more than that its just off the top of my head.

He's going to Florida. He went there for a 2nd trip, this time on his own dime, and upon returning he announces that he's moving his announcement up over a month and a half to a week from tomorrow. Florida strikes again. Oh well, ND has bigger issues than losing him, sadly...

NDisme
11-10-2009, 11:23 PM
If the kid visited william and marry tomarrow they would lead so.... he doesn't even know what the hell he is doing

jason_h537
11-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Shaw set to decide tuesday. Looks like Florida with OSU having an outside shot right now

IrishAddiction
11-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I hope i hope i hope i hope he goes to Florida. Joyner then can come to ND. Turns out we need a shut down corner right now.

BGIF
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Gators Land Superstar
By Jason Higdon
Fightin' Gators Recruiting Analyst
11/17/09

IrishAddiction
11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
I just want to see the headline "Joyner's Irish!" and then i wont care at all about this. Looks a little more likely now that he joined Florida. They have 5 DB commits according to rivals, dont know how many are CBs, but he will probably be sitting at least a year or two b/c they are stacked at CB under Meyers tenure there.

Big23Head
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Ronald Powell will join the Gators too most likely. Definitely stacked in Gainesville.

jason_h537
11-17-2009, 05:44 PM
This kid is a physical freak at Corner but it should help us with Joyner or Riggs

JefMaj
01-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Now that Florida's DC is gone... now that Florida's DB coach is gone... Meyer is riding Ozzie's Crazy Train... wonder if any of these guys will reconsider????

IrishInFl
01-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Well one has already. Matt Elam flipped his verbal to FSU. The Noles look like they're having a great class.

NDinL.A.
01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Shaw talked to Urban and he believed his lies...he's still a strong commit to FL. He said that Liar told him that everything would be fine, that he'll be back, and not to worry about a thing. He also told him he loved him like a son (I'm not making this up), and Shaw told him he loved him too.

Liar is as good a salesman as they come...

WabashFalcon
01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Shaw talked to Urban and he believed his lies...he's still a strong commit to FL. He said that Liar told him that everything would be fine, that he'll be back, and not to worry about a thing. He also told him he loved him like a son (I'm not making this up), and Shaw told him he loved him too.

Liar is as good a salesman as they come...

Bitter, bitter words my brother. I see your opinion of "He who coached the Second Coming" has finally soured. Welcome, brother!

JefMaj
01-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Wonder how he takes a leave of absence and hires a whole new defensive coaching staff at the same time????? Something is bullshit.

sportallyr
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Not sure if this was reported somewhere else on here yesterday, but looks like Joshua Shaw is transferring to USC.

HS coach says ex-Florida Gator Josh Shaw transferring to USC Trojans - ESPN Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7448389/hs-coach-says-ex-florida-gator-josh-shaw-transferring-usc-trojans)

irish o'phile
01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I live in Palmdale ( his home town) I saw him at the gym last night. SC would make sense given Palmdale is in LA County. I didnt talk to him because I was too busy sculpting my guns. Also, I didn't want to seem creepy.

SaltyND24
01-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I live in Palmdale ( his home town) I saw him at the gym last night. SC would make sense given Palmdale is in LA County. I didnt talk to him because I was too busy sculpting my guns. Also, I didn't want to seem creepy.

In the words of Afroman, "PAAAAALMDALE, come back tooooooo me..." Was he at 24 in Lancaster? Anyways, it'll be interesting to see who gets cut/ultimately transfers as a result of this transfer