PDA

View Full Version : '10 FL DT Calvin Smith (New Mexico Commit)

SoCalDomer
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Defensive tackle
Hialeah (FL) Hialeah

Ht: 6-4
Wt: 265
Bench Max:
Squat Max:
Vertical:
Shuttle:
GPA:

Ratings and Rankings
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:; Defensive Tackle (26); Rating 5.8
Scout: :s::s::s:; Defensive Tackle (40)
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:; Defensive Tackle (19), Grade 79

Offers:
Tennessee
Florida
FSU (OV 9/5/09)
Illinois (OV 10/3/09)
Mississippi
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Purdue
South Carolina
UCF
Arkansas
New Mexico

ND Recruiter: Alford

Decision: 12/08/09 Tennessee

SoCalDomer
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Father played in the NFL for the Vikings and Dolphins.

Is the current teammate of Irish prospect Corey Lemonier.

Received an official offer yesterday.

Polish Leppy 22
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Is this the same high school as Armando? Looks like another potential ND pipeline in FL

SoCalDomer
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
no, different schools. Allen went to Miami-Lakes.

wicket
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
funny i believe i read the same remark in the lemonier thread somewhere.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Man I would love to nab both of these kids if it was at all possible. This schools pops out some good talent.

ndlb41
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm glad to see another offer out to a DT. We have great talent there now but we need to keep them coming in every year and not miss any years. It's the only way to make it to the top and stay there.

irish4ever
04-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Do you think that Smith would play DT in college ... 6'4" and 265lbs. now!? Appears to be more in the making of a DE. Regardless, landing some "big time" D-linemen (whether it's DT or DE) is going to be very important to the future success of the Irish.

ndlb41
04-30-2009, 08:49 AM
With a frame like that in high school, I think it would be no problem for a college trainer to get him closer to the 300 pound mark by his sophmore or jr year. Which is when he probly would make it on the feild on a constant basis.

IrishAddiction
04-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Think we recruited a RB really hard from Hialeah last year or 2 years ago..... Carlton Thomas i believe was his name. Kid had crazy skills, committed to Georgia after he lowered it down to ND and Georgia. I do believe i remember him coming up to visit though.

Hopefully Lemonier and Smith do the same. Always a chance if we can get them to visit here.

IHateMarkMay
04-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Im pretty sure hialeah produced Armando Allen, however he went to a different school. If my memory serves correct, Thomas went to Stonewall Jackson High School in... VA?

ndlb41
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Calvin is Armando's cousin

IrishAddiction
05-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Having his cousin in SB cant hurt, should really help to get him up here with family in the area.

And my bad on the Carlton Thomas thing, he was from Flordia but it was Frostproof HS. Ryan Williams was the one from Stonewall Jackson in VA.

IHateMarkMay
05-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Having his cousin in SB cant hurt, should really help to get him up here with family in the area.

And my bad on the Carlton Thomas thing, he was from Flordia but it was Frostproof HS. Ryan Williams was the one from Stonewall Jackson in VA.

Ahhh thats right, my bad. Too lazy to look it all up. Thanks IA

OCIrish
05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Hopefully AA is doing some serious talking to his family and certainly his cousin.

BGIF
05-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Video up at

Scout.com: Up Close with Calvin Smith (http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=868283)

He is looking at at schools not only for himself, but also for teammate Corey Lemonier. Smith says they would like to play together on the next level

They plan on seeing some schools (UTN, Ole Mis, UF, maybe FSU again) this summer - together. I don't usually put much stock in package deals but I'll pencil them both in for FSU.

Currently 6-4 270 wants to play DT. He wants early PT, of course. Plans on making a decision at the end of the season

If Armando's gonna turn his head it better happen quickly.

jason_h537
05-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Forall the emphasis on family, it does not seem to influence much.

IrishInFl
05-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Upadate!

There is no update! Gene was at the FSU baseball game, which was rain delayed until around 10pm est. never came to the bar, and if he did, I probably would have forgotten what to ask him on account of me drinking a "few" beers. Hopefully I see him tomorrow though.

BGIF
05-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Upadate!

There is no update! Gene was at the FSU baseball game, which was rain delayed until around 10pm est. never came to the bar, and if he did, I probably would have forgotten what to ask him on account of me drinking a "few" beers. Hopefully I see him tomorrow though.

Write his name on the palm of your hand.

The other hand.

Then it should still be there when you see Gene.

IrishInFl
05-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Actually, I was going to put the names on paper and pin it to my shirt. More convenient that way.

BGIF
05-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Actually, I was going to put the names on paper and pin it to my shirt. More convenient that way.

Sounds like a plan!

BGIF
05-31-2009, 04:27 AM
Well, IrishInFL, did you find any answers pinned on your shirt tonight?

Enquiring minds want to know!

IrishInFl
05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry, but he wasn't at the bar this weekend. He was at the regional tournament for FSU vs Marist baseball. Unfortunetly he has to cover all FSU sports, even though wachant is for the most part a football site. Man I hate baseball...

BGIF
05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Sorry, but he wasn't at the bar this weekend. He was at the regional tournament for FSU vs Marist baseball. Unfortunetly he has to cover all FSU sports, even though wachant is for the most part a football site. Man I hate baseball...

Thanks anyway. We look forward to your updates even if you're getting them off the back of the door in the 3rd stall at the Notell Motel.

I used to really enjoy baseball. Now it ranks with having my teeth cleaned. On second thought I do that twice a year ...

BGIF
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Per Hodge ESPN

Tennessee has collected a Class of 2010 commitment from highly-sought four-star, defensive lineman Calvin Smith of Hialeah Senior (Hialeah, Fla.).

ACamp1900
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Per Hodge ESPN

wow did he pick a bad week to verbal to the Vols.... no???

fortwayne_nd
12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
wow did he pick a bad week to verbal to the Vols.... no???

It was the hostess care package that closed the deal.

ACamp1900
12-09-2009, 07:29 PM
how you doin?

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe AA will put a call in

The Polish Irishman
01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Decommitted to Tennessee per Espn.

Not sure if we have a chance, because he has not been to ND.

I can't say I feel sorry for the other UT

Big23Head
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
If he stills plans on being with Corey we have no chance unless the coaches put a huge push on the two.

jason_h537
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Committed to... New Mexico

Junkhead
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Committed to... New Mexico

New Mexico? :krazy:

irishff1014
02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey thats his choice he must of had a great time there to chose them. Good that we don't have to play aginst him.

jason_h537
02-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't know the name of their head coach but he is considered one of the best recruiters in the country and made impressions on Smith, Kuandjio, Ego, and Willis so maybe he's onto somethin

vernfootball1
02-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't know the name of their head coach but he is considered one of the best recruiters in the country and made impressions on Smith, Kuandjio, Ego, and Willis so maybe he's onto somethin

Yea in smith's announcement he said he was one of the best coaches in the country.

BGIF
02-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Mike Locksley.

I commented on Locksley last night in one of the other recruit's (Kouandjio or Ego) threads last night. Locksley has worked in most sections of the country at Army, Navy, Pacifica, Maryland, UF, Illinois, and now HC at New Mexico. He was RC at the last 3 stops before NM and has coached most every position on both sides of the ball. AND he's an African-American Head Coach.

johnnykillz
02-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Mike Locksley.

I commented on Locksley last night in one of the other recruit's (Kouandjio or Ego) threads last night. Locksley has worked in most sections of the country at Army, Navy, Pacifica, Maryland, UF, Illinois, and now HC at New Mexico. He was RC at the last 3 stops before NM and has coached most every position on both sides of the ball. AND he's an African-American Head Coach.

And he punches other coaches in the face for misbehaving. Hows that for respect, suckas!

I ain't no milkman fool, but I make deliveries.

BGIF
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
And he punches other coaches in the face for misbehaving. Hows that for respect, suckas!

I ain't no milkman fool, but I make deliveries.

I think he has some other issues in addition to the coach "counseling".

But to an 18 year defensive lineman a "tough guy" rep can be attractice. It didn't stopped recruits from signing on with Ed Orgeron. Unlike Woody Hayes, Frank Kush, or Leach, Locksley's incident didn't involve a student athlete. As long as Locksley survives the incident with his administration he'll carry the rep, "Whatever coach says, do it. Don't mess with coach" with his subordinates and players.