PDA

View Full Version : '10 OH QB Luke Massa (Notre Dame Signee)

NDinL.A.
04-17-2009, 05:32 PM
'10 OH QB Luke Massa
Pro-style quarterback
Cincinnati (OH) St. Xavier

Ht: 6-4
Wt: 205
Forty: 4.81
GPA: 3.7

Rankings:
Rivals: :s::s::s:; #28 Pro QB, Rating 5.7
Scout: :s::s::s:; #75 QB
Espn: :s::s:; #129 QB, Grade 72

Offers:
Notre Dame (OV1/29/10)
Cincinnati
Wisconsin

ND Recruiter: Molnar (Tenuta)

Decision: 1/30 Notre Dame

NDinL.A.
04-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice article on him from espn:

Massa making a comeback - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4076374&name=Midwest_Recruiting)

He was a stud, but got injured last year and kinda fell off the radar. But kid apparently can play. He'll be at the spring game tomorrow. Don't know how good he really is, but here's some good news for a board in dire need of some good news after yesterday's debacle:

Massa said Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Boston College, Michigan State, Vanderbilt, Virginia and North Carolina State are the schools he is considering at this time.

"I like Notre Dame a lot," Massa said. "If I had to name a favorite it would be Notre Dame."

SoCalDomer
04-17-2009, 06:03 PM
He will be at the B&G game this weekend with teammate Matt James

NDinL.A.
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Because of his injury and the limited new film on him, he was told he'd have to camp at ND this summer in order to get an offer. So, he said he will do just that...

The Polish Irishman
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Commited to Cincy...this could help them with James OT

BGIF
07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I didn't think he wanted to anybody's #2 QB. Wish he had camped to show if he had the stuff to be #1 and the drive to compete for it.

Movin' on.

WabashFalcon
07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know man. He and James are tight... I wonder if this commit is gonna entice James to become a Bearcat... unless we get Hendrix on him like a nervous Cougar on a high school quarterback....

ColinKSU
07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't know if it would hurt our chances with James. He has to know that he has an opportunity to play big-time BCS football somewhere, unlike his QB.

tko
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Cincy is racking up more BCS games than ND these days so maybe not a bad choice. I understand what you're saying, though. James has a shot to play OT on an elite stage week in and week out. I guess I should speak of James in his thread.

jason_h537
07-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Cincy is racking up more BCS games than ND these days so maybe not a bad choice.

Yeah like last years BCS and...?

As for Massa, i wish him the best. He and James are tight, but the whole playing together in college thing does not happen that often. I will say it appears that we should be more worried about Cincinnati than OSU when it comes to James

BostonND
07-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I really, really want Matt James. That would kill me if he followed Massa. I care more about the tackles than any of the other prospects we're talking about, by far. We're starting to reach - suddenly Linder is a tackle instead of a center? What? Bad sign.

WabashFalcon
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah like last years BCS and...?

As for Massa, i wish him the best. He and James are tight, but the whole playing together in college thing does not happen that often. I will say it appears that we should be more worried about Cincinnati than OSU when it comes to James

Yeah... never happens... kinda like Manti and Toma?

DirtySecret
07-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't over think the suitation with Massa being tight with James.. Fact is, Luke showed he can't and doesn't want to compete for the quarterback position. He wants to be giving or guarantee the spot. How thin we are at OT, James can come in and get playing time..

jason_h537
07-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah... never happens... kinda like Manti and Toma?

Yeah it happens, but people tend to blow it out of proportion. Should you be worried, a lil, but it isn't a situation where Matt said "i will go with Massa". Alot of players say things like this, Cooper and Prater, Bailey and Scroggins. I still say we are very much in this race.

phork
07-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Anyone who chooses to go with a pal and not seriously consider cutting their own paths really needs their heads examined. Sorry man but choosing to go to Cincy over ND is just plain dumb. I am sure Cincy is a nice school and all and Mr. Kelly is doing a fine job, but really now..

BGIF
07-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Committed to CIN 7/02/09

Rivals: 3 Star, #16 Pro QB, 5.7 Rating
Scout: 1 Star, NR QB
ESPN: 72

Offers:
CIN Verbal 7/02/09
WIS

Interest:
MSU
ND
VU
UVA
BC

The Polish Irishman
01-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Cincinnati.Com | Cincinnati Enquirer | High School Sports Blog » Notre Dame offers Massa (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/01/21/notre-dame-offers-massa/)

Trying to confirm with other sites

Big23Head
01-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Only other place I see it is on Twitter, saying Luke and Matt James will visit the same time.

Irish.Ca
01-21-2010, 05:04 PM
What a crazy development. Thought this was going to happen several weeks ago when Hendrix was first a question mark, but to happen now. WOW. Visiting with James is a HUGE positive. BK is setting the hook, come on guys. Bite.

Domina Nostra
01-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Lots of reasons to do this, but James is #1- LT is a huge need for us.

I hope that TR and AH like competition!

BirdmanND06
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I am super excited about this. I would love to have two guys from my HS play for ND at the same time.

Tate the Great
01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Is this all too little to late for Massa? Or do we still have a legit shot at landing him?

Junkhead
01-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Do we really need 3 QBs?

Tate the Great
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Do we really need 3 QBs?

Maybe not but at least it can intensify the QB battles at practice haha

Irish4Life09
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM

with what we have at qb right now....absolutely yes. i will take as many qbs as we can get.
dayne is hurt,and we have no idea when he'll be playing,let alone playing well.we've got montana's son,and while i love his last name, he completed like 30% of his passes at a community college or wherever,and we've got 2 freshman coming in who have never played a game in college.
we need as much competition as possible.and hopefully at least one of these kids will pan out for us.

irishandy
01-21-2010, 09:38 PM
If we offer another QB, I would rather offer Cole Marcoux.

WabashFalcon
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Rees moving to slot? Safety? Only reason why I would see us taking 3 QBs.

I am now extremely perplexed.

irishandy
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Rees should stay put as a QB.

BGIF
01-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Yes, it worked out so well for ND the last time there were 3 QBs in a class.

IrishJayhawk
01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, it worked out so well for ND the last time there were 3 QBs in a class.

Indeed.

Would Hendrix stay if we take another? I don't think I would if I were him.

BGIF
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
What a crazy development. Thought this was going to happen several weeks ago when Hendrix was first a question mark, but to happen now. WOW. Visiting with James is a HUGE positive. BK is setting the hook, come on guys. Bite.

I brought Massa's name up when Hendrix was having doubts.

I understand a possible James/Massa connection but the news today made me think of Jevan Snead and Tim Tebow. Not an identical situation but Snead had concerns and was assured by his coach. Then the coach brought in the other guy and Snead felt betrayed and bailed.

Perhaps Hendrix came to feel OK with Kelly but Kelly was the one that felt uncomfortable. Who knows? We only get snapshots based on 3rd party sterile interviews.

BGIF
01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Indeed.

Would Hendrix stay if we take another? I don't think I would if I were him.

We don't know the details of what's going on, or went on. But on the surface I should think there been some discussion in the Hendrix household tonight.

NDinL.A.
01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
If we offer another QB, I would rather offer Cole Marcoux.

That same kid that tore it up IN THE 4TH QUARTER of a blowout also has received ZERO offers since that game. And there are some teams in far dire need of QBs than ND, that's for sure. Not saying the kid won't be good, but neither you nor I know the QB position better than the guys that get paid to do it, and not one of them has stepped up with an offer to him...

WabashFalcon
01-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Is it to appease Matt James?

BGIF
01-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Massa adds new offer, schedules visit (http://notredame.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1042708&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=)
by Steve Hare
1/21

Luke Massa thought the recruiting process ended when he committed to Cincinnati last summer. But the Bearcats went through a coaching change as head coach Brian Kelly moved on to Notre Dame. On Tuesday the Irish coaching staff extended a scholarship offer. The quarterback will visit South Bend on Jan. 29 alongside teammate and offensive tackle Matt James.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-22-2010, 02:28 AM
If we are taking another QB, I want Scotty Young and no one else. This offer just perplexes me

SoJerseyIrish
01-22-2010, 07:01 AM
If we are taking another QB, I want Scotty Young and no one else. This offer just perplexes me

Wouldn't a normal College Football Program have 4-6 QBs on scholarship.......ND as of right now will have Crist (Scholarship) and that is it......sure there is young Montana but he isn't even on Scholarship......they NEED to get some more kids at that position, this makes complete sense, especially when you consider DC is coming off a knee injury........taking 3 QBs is a smart idea in this class........

tko
01-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't a normal College Football Program have 4-6 QBs on scholarship.......ND as of right now will have Crist (Scholarship) and that is it......sure there is young Montana but he isn't even on Scholarship......they NEED to get some more kids at that position, this makes complete sense, especially when you consider DC is coming off a knee injury........taking 3 QBs is a smart idea in this class........

ND isn't normal :)

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Bottom line, the best QB will play. no matter how many ND takes, that will be the case. No matter where they go, there will be competition and the best will play.

Polish Leppy 22
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
OK I'm confused. Not being critical of BK at all. But let's assume the stars align and Massa and James end up coming to ND. Three Qb's? Remember what happened last time we had three? Maybe the staff knows something we don't, but I don't get it.

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Kelly has a plan, its all good, its all good

SoJerseyIrish
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Connor Barwin was a 6'4" TE out of HS that BK turned into a DE and was ultimately picked in the 2nd Round by Texans.....not saying that Massa will do that but there are other options that might be available to him. Also Demetrious Jones went from QB to LB under BK so as long as you are a good athlete I am sure BK will find a role for you.

fitz_bu47
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Just saw a little blurb on Rivals about Hendrix reacting to this and it said "Hendrix ready to compete."

irish4ever
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
OK I'm confused. Not being critical of BK at all. But let's assume the stars align and Massa and James end up coming to ND. Three Qb's?

And that's bad? Other than Crist, there isn't a whole lot to choose from on the current Irsih roster!

acerider8
01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
And that's bad? Other than Crist, there isn't a whole lot to choose from on the current Irsih roster!

I don't think it's necessarily bad to offer Massa. However, three QB's in one class kind of spells disaster if all 3 expect to play Quarterback in college. I expect at least one of them will red-shirt and one (I'm assuming Rees since he is already enrolled) will serve as the primary backup to Crist. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say BK has a position change in mind for Massa and may even talk to him about it when he visits.

Polish Leppy 22
01-22-2010, 11:47 AM

My point was three so close together. Jimmy won and the other 2 transferred

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Per Bill Kurelic at ESPN:

Quarterback Luke Massa (Cincinnati, Ohio/St. Xavier) committed to Cincinnati in July when Brian Kelly was the Bearcats' coach, but he was back to square one when Kelly took over the Notre Dame head coaching job.

"Two weeks ago my high school coach called coach Kelly and asked him if he was still interested," Massa said. "Then (on Thursday) Notre Dame offered (a scholarship). I was definitely pretty excited. Who wouldn't be excited about an offer from Notre Dame? I'll be visiting there Jan. 30, and then make my decision after that.

"Cincinnati and Notre Dame are definitely the only two schools I'm considering."

BCSorBust
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I gotta believe if this kid took the initiative to call ND and then got the scholarship he's going to come now.

Is he athletic enough for other positions or is this guy strictly a qb?

Big23Head
01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. Massa's quotes make me believe if he enjoys ND at all he will flip.

Looking at his 40 time, I am not sure where he would move to. Has good size though.

IrishAddiction
01-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Kelly is known for developing QBs, and his QBs are great. The same as CW, minus the offensive system.

Dan Lefovour at CM, and Tony Pike at Cincy. He won with whoever was the QB, and the QBs all put up big numbers. Its no wonder these QBs want the offers from kelly and are coming to ND. Massa is a good one, and competition doesnt hurt anybody, only makes them stronger.

BearGB
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
From ESPN Rumors:

"Mike Dyer of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Notre Dame has made an offer to two-star QB Luke Massa, who sounds like he could flourish in the right system. Massa had committed to new coach Brian Kelly when Kelly was at Notre Dame.

Kelly is certainly following form in accumulating as many QBs as possible. If Massa signs, he would be the Irish's fifth scholarship QB, behind Dayne Crist, Andrew Hendrix, Tommy Rees and Nate Montana -- which would probably afford Kelly the ability to keep John Goodman at WR rather than converting him back to QB.

Incidentally, Massa is a teammate of four-star OT Matt James, one of the top remaining tackles still available -- and, not coincidentally, a Notre Dame target. The two will take official visits to South Bend next weekend."

Nice research ESPN... Montana's not on scholarship.

BGIF
01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
From ESPN Rumors:

"Mike Dyer of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Notre Dame has made an offer to two-star QB Luke Massa, who sounds like he could flourish in the right system. Massa had committed to new coach Brian Kelly when Kelly was at Notre Dame.

Kelly is certainly following form in accumulating as many QBs as possible. If Massa signs, he would be the Irish's fifth scholarship QB, behind Dayne Crist, Andrew Hendrix, Tommy Rees and Nate Montana -- which would probably afford Kelly the ability to keep John Goodman at WR rather than converting him back to QB.

Incidentally, Massa is a teammate of four-star OT Matt James, one of the top remaining tackles still available -- and, not coincidentally, a Notre Dame target. The two will take official visits to South Bend next weekend."

Nice research ESPN... Montana's not on scholarship.

Nice facts ESPN ... Massa had committed to new coach Brian Kelly when Kelly was [at Cincinnati not] at Notre Dame.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

irishandy
01-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Just saw a little blurb on Rivals about Hendrix reacting to this and it said "Hendrix ready to compete."

Great attitude by Hendrix, that will only make him better.

Riddickulous
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
The ESPN Rumors thing is wrong. Nate Montana isn't a scholarship QB.

BearGB
01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
The ESPN Rumors thing is wrong. Nate Montana isn't a scholarship QB.

Yup that's what I just said. Look up a couple of posts.

NDinL.A.
01-27-2010, 12:46 AM
His high school thinks he'll commit on Sunday after his OV:

Notre Dame football recruiting: Entertaining weekend ahead | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Notre Dame Sports (http://www.wsbt.com/sports/irish/82730307.html)

By Sunday night, Massa could be Irish, too, according to his coach, Steve Specht.

“I think it’s a dream come true for Luke from the standpoint that he grew up with the ‘Play Like A Champion’ plaque above his bed,” Specht said.

“As a little boy, he always dreamed of going and playing at Notre Dame. And now it looks like he’s going to take his visit.”

The visit is possible because of Specht’s efforts in getting Kelly to recruit the same player Kelly got to commit to Cincinnati last spring.

“I pursued him,” Specht said of Kelly. “I said, ‘Brian, come on, Luke would love to go. What do you think?’ And that kind of got the ball rolling.”

Kelly had not planned on again recruiting Massa, who completed 162 of 242 passes for 1,800 yards, 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions, Specht said. Specht said many people in the Tri-State area are still upset Kelly left the Bearcats for Notre Dame in December.

“I don’t think Brian wanted to muddy the waters or ruffle any more feathers in Cincinnati,” Specht said. “And he wasn’t going to pursue any of the kids that had committed to Cincinnati out of respect for the program that he built.

“I told him, ‘You did a lot for the city and you don’t owe the city anything else. You moved on.’ But I think he felt he loved Cincinnati and he wasn’t going to do anything that would hurt the program any more.”

That left Specht with a decision. He could drop it or keep going.

“So I pursued it hard for Luke because I knew it was always Luke’s dream and I knew Brian always loved Luke,” Specht said in a phone interview Tuesday.

Specht said if former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis had offered Massa a long time ago, Massa might have already committed to Notre Dame.

Specht spoke with his friend, former Irish defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta. Tenuta said last spring Notre Dame wanted to wait.

“The only other school Luke was interested in was Notre Dame,” Specht said. “And Charlie Weis was not interested in Luke.”

When Massa asked him what he thought, Specht told Massa he did not think Notre Dame would offer. And Massa opted for Kelly and the Bearcats last spring.

If Massa opts to commit to Notre Dame Sunday, Specht believes they are getting quite a prospect.

“He will be a typical Brian Kelly project quarterback,” Specht said. “He’s going to bring his little skinny 6-foot-5, 200-pound frame in and in two years he’s going to be 6-5, 225 to 230. He’s going to develop his arm strength.

“His upside is unbelievable. He’s pretty damn good right now. The upside for Luke is bigger than anybody I have ever coached.”

“I will be shocked if he didn’t commit at the end of the visit,” he said. “But they are kids and you know how they change their minds.”

irish4ever
01-27-2010, 07:31 AM
With Massa's passion towards playing for the Irish, I hope that he commits to ND.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-29-2010, 03:37 AM
He was the QB we all wanted as a second QB before we offered Rees. I don't doubt his talent or his upside whatsoever. But I would never want to take more than two QBs in a class. Take the two, and then go after another one next year. Just my preference I guess

Ben E.
01-29-2010, 09:51 AM
the other funny subplot is that i believe that they(massa and hendrix) are from rival highschools. these guys have been competeing against each other all their lives.

BillyIrish
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
the other funny subplot is that i believe that they(massa and hendrix) are from rival highschools. these guys have been competeing against each other all their lives.

St. X and Moeller are bitter rivals as both play in the GCL (greater catholic league) South...

redsox4441
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Massa is reportedly ours according to rivals. HELL YEAH

vernfootball1
01-31-2010, 01:08 PM
NNNNNNNIIIIICCCCEEEEEE

BGIF
01-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Per Espn's Bill Hodge's On The Trail

Quarterback Luke Massa follows Brian Kelly to South Bend

Luke Massa (Cincinnati/St. Xavier) decommitted from Cincinnati for Notre Dame during an official visit to campus this weekend, ESPN affiliate Web site IrishSportsDaily.com reports.

"The big thing for Luke and with my program at St. Xavier, is to make sure he contacted the University of Cincinnati," coach Steve Specht said. "Yes he met with coach Kelly this morning, committed and fulfilled a lifelong dream of playing football for them."

Massa completed 67-percent of his attempts this fall for 1,800 yards and 16 touchdowns.

The Polish Irishman
01-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Livin the Dream

WabashFalcon
01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Yay! Welcome Luke! Great Job....

GET YOUR HUGE FU*KING OT FREIND TO COMMIT!!! NOW!!!

irishff1014
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
yea lets hope he can convince his teammate to come to but i doubt that will happen. Unless BK can come up will some magical powers.

Riddickulous
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Our QB situation went from potentially terrifying (near decommit from Hendrix) to YEEEEEES!

IrishAddiction
01-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the ND family Mr.Massa.

Dizzyphil
02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the ND family Mr.Massa.

+1000

TerryTate
06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Notre Dame Football - Destined To Be A Domer (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/football/2600-destined-to-be-a-domer)

ISD Article on Massa.

Sounds like the type of kid that was bred to play for ND

IrishInFl
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Good article, but I wish he would address the death of Matt James. Has he ever been interviewed about James?

TerryTate
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure he wants to talk about it anymore. I thought he had some comments immediately following the news. I'm sure the entire school and town has felt the loss of Matt James. The fact of the matter is that this 18 year old has gone through a lot and now has a chance to fulfill a lifelong dream. He's definitely going to be mentally tougher as a result.

NDbrbkny
09-25-2011, 03:09 AM
I thought he was converted to WR cause i saw him wearing a Red Army ballcap

BGIF
09-25-2011, 03:31 AM
I thought he was converted to WR cause i saw him wearing a Red Army ballcap

Maybe Kelly is listening to all those Kuenhja complaints and getting another QB ready.

From Massa's ND Bio:

CAREER: Recruited to Notre Dame as a quarterback but moved to wide receiver for the start of spring practice ... spent freshman season on the Irish scout team as a quarterback for the first half of the season and played wide receiver for the second half of the year.

koonja
09-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe Kelly is listening to all those Kuenhja complaints and getting another QB ready.

From Massa's ND Bio:

We can only hope.

GreatGolson
09-25-2011, 03:04 PM
NO