PDA

View Full Version : '10 CA S Dion Bailey (Southern Cal Commit)

SoCalDomer
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Safety
Lakewood (CA) Lakewood

Ht: 6-foot-1
Wt: 195 lbs
Forty: 4.45 secs

SoCalDomer
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
claims a ND offer in a story from ESPN, but that's the only place i've seen it. so it may not be an official offer just yet.

SoCalDomer
04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
number of stories

Lakewood boasts talented '10 prospects - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3939519&name=West_Recruiting)

Oregon making good early impressions - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3966099&name=West_Recruiting)

Updated offer list for Lakewood stars - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4035936&name=West_Recruiting)

jason_h537
05-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Officialy offered, rivals has the story. the big man Polian is on the case. another Cali kid. i love seeing ND coming to Cali and getting top notch recruits

NDinL.A.
05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
His mother reportedly was very excited about the ND offer...

jason_h537
05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Hmmm you know Manti Te'o's parents loved ND. Always good to have a cheerleader in house

NeuteredDoomer
05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Looking good for the Irish!

6'1", 195, 4.45.

Geez.

jason_h537
05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
My buddy told me a story, not sure if its true but maybe someone in here can confirm it. When Gary Gray originally chose South Carolina his mom basically told him he's going to school to get a degree not to just play football so he better get on the phone and call coach Weis to let him know he will be attending Notre Dame.

OCIrish
05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
My buddy told me a story, not sure if its true but maybe someone in here can confirm it. When Gary Gray originally chose South Carolina his mom basically told him he's going to school to get a degree not to just play football so he better get on the phone and call coach Weis to let him know he will be attending Notre Dame.

As far as I know, that is probably very true. When he commited to South Carolina, his mom wasn't on the trip, so, I can't confirm this since I wasn't there, but I believe his mom made him take an official to ND, and from what I understand either commited before he left, or on his way home. His mom was very influential in his choosing of ND as you are correct in that she told him he was going to school to get a degree and not just to play football. Sorry I hijacked the thread.

BGIF
05-05-2009, 02:36 AM
OCIrish has the gist of the story. There was a lengthy article written about the heat Gray took from USC (East Coast version) fans over his early commitment to USC and then committing to ND. I have the article but not a link. Here's the title and author.

"Though bitter partisans have criticized Gary Gray, the RNE standout is finally at peace with his "By KENT BABB kbabb@thestate.com

There were several reasons he chose USC including not wanting to be away from his mom and the urging of his HS coach, Duane Wages, who Gray considered a father figure. The FB cosch, an ardent Gamecock, acknowledged in the article much of the blame for the early decision was his.
The safe pick not necessarily the best pick was South Carolina, Wages said. We were really just trying to help. We were trying to help USC.

The part of the article about Gray's mom was titled, "Wanting Better For Her Son". It's a moisty eyed read about a struggling mom raising sons in a trailer that always had a roof but didn't always have electricity.

This is the key part:

Most important, she wanted Gray to get the best education possible, particularly since she said college would not have been an option for Gray if a football scholarship were not part of the equation.

Here are his mom, Yvonne Robinson's motivating words:

I dont want him working, struggling, making no money, being in the situation Im in, she said. I dont want him to have to go in a store and decide between buying that pack of meat and the other one. I always tell him, You can sit behind somebody elses desk and sign their checks instead of waiting on somebody sitting in front of you to sign yours.

jason_h537
05-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Hey good lookin out guys, always wondered about the story. Love knowing guys are coming to Notre Dame for the right reasons. Thats why we graduate so many players yet still produce NFL talent.

tko
05-05-2009, 06:28 AM
and now back to Dion Bailey

jason_h537
05-06-2009, 02:51 PM
new Rivals 250 posted today and Bailey is at 214.
"New film showed that he not only has ball skills, but he will light up a receiver running a route over the middle. Also looked good in person at Los Angeles NFTC."

Check it out

jason_h537
06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Offered by USC recently and has released his top 5 per Rivals.
USC, Cal, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame.

Said that USC and the Irish are his leaders and will definitely visit Notre Dame over the summer and maybe Tennessee. Plans to decide before his senior season. Hope he picks the Irish, kid can play.

BGIF
06-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Offered by USC recently and has released his top 5 per Rivals.
USC, Cal, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame.

Said that USC and the Irish are his leaders and will definitely visit Notre Dame over the summer and maybe Tennessee. Plans to decide before his senior season. Hope he picks the Irish, kid can play.

With all the blue chip safeties USC picked up in February do they have room? Between QBs, RBs, and Ss I'm amazed they only have 85 players.

jason_h537
06-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Apparently, thought they would only offer a couple safeties like Sean Parker this year, but whatever. Unlike others on here I like our chances against any program. Your gonna win some and lose some in recruiting. Especially when you are recruiting elite players. We have one our fair share of those battles.

BGIF
06-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Apparently, thought they would only offer a couple safeties like Sean Parker this year, but whatever. Unlike others on here I like our chances against any program. Your gonna win some and lose some in recruiting. Especially when you are recruiting elite players. We have one our fair share of those battles.

They offered Parker.
They offered Riley.
They offered Bailey.
They offered Jefferson as a LB which they need
They have Carrington on their wait list.

The good news is they agree about the talent and USC can't use all those safeties. ND still has to beat out the UCLAs, OUs, and the rest of the short listed teams.

NDinL.A.
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Bailey has a top 5 of USC, ND, Oklahoma, UCLA, and Oregon. ND and USC are slightly in the lead. The problem for USC is their overwhelmingdepth at safety, and the problem for ND is that they are so far from home. He's not going to visit in the summer anymore, and instead he'll take his official visit in the fall with teammate Justin Utopo...

BGIF
06-11-2009, 02:37 PM
... He's not going to visit in the summer anymore, and instead he'll take his official visit in the fall with teammate Justin Utopo ...

That causes mixed emotions. Somewhat like when your teenage daughter comes home at 4 in the morning with a Bible under her arm.

Was she up late reading it or is it a metaphor for a recent uplifting experience.

IHateMarkMay
06-11-2009, 06:19 PM
That causes mixed emotions. Somewhat like when your teenage daughter comes home at 4 in the morning with a Bible under her arm.

Was she up late reading it or is it a metaphor for a recent uplifting experience.

Flippin' Hilarious BGIF... Funniest thing I have seen all day.

BGIF
06-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Per WeAreSC.com Safety Dion Bailey's Top 5 is fluid

I haven't completely narrowed it down to a top-5 or anything, but I have some favorites that I'm looking more into, like USC, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Cal... The schools that have the best of both worlds. They have great football programs and great academics. So I'm trying to learn more about the schools that have more of what I'm looking for.

His previously announced Top 5 were USC, UCLA, ND UTN and OU.

Timetable:

I was planning on making my decision really before my senior season starts. Hopefully I'll be able to make that decision after I take my unofficial trips to the schools. It would make it easier for me to focus throughout the season. I won't have to worry about the availability at my position, the scholarship being taken by another kid that committed already. And I don't want any of the coaches to think that I'm big-timing them by holding out all the way until Signing Day. I want to go into my senior season knowing where I'm going to college and to go win a state championship in my senior year and be ready to go.

jason_h537
06-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Smart kid, Nasty player, perfect fit for Irish. Hope he sees it the same way.

NDinL.A.
07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
A little update, courtesy of Rivals: Rivals.com Football Recruiting - National Notes: Forde's talent stands out (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=962799)

Crunch time in Lakewood

Monday, it was Lakewood (Calif.) defensive lineman Justin Utupo's time to shine as he announced his commitment to Notre Dame. Now, all the attention at Lakewood turns to blue-chip quarterback Jesse Scroggins and four-star safety Dion Bailey.

Lakewood coach Thadd MacNeal said Monday it's "getting [to be] crunch time for both Jesse and Dion." Scroggins said he will announce his decision near the end of the month at the EA Sports Elite 11 Quarterback Camp, and Bailey could also announce in that same time frame.

Where Scroggins ends up is anybody's guess.

He's narrowed his focus on three schools USC, Florida and Tennessee. Scroggins knows the attention from three of the nation's top programs is only going to build the anticipation, but he said he's not going to be rushed into a quick decision.

"The rumors are like critics," Scroggins said. "They are never going to go away and everyone is going to continue to speculate. My goal is to take the next couple of weeks and work towards deciding what is the best school for me."

Bailey's attention has narrowed to three schools also, two of which are in common with Scroggins. Bailey said he's looking mostly at USC, Tennessee and Notre Dame. He, too, would like to commit around the same time as Scroggins, but Bailey also wants to see Notre Dame and Tennessee before making a final decision.

jason_h537
07-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Tennessee has alot of good recruiters and they NEED Scroggins. Hope Bailey gets on campus, maybe bring Utupo along. Would love to have this kid. Help seal up our safety search.

WabashFalcon
07-07-2009, 11:33 PM
How awesome would it be if Scroggins commits to Flordia, leaving the Vols without another quarterback? I can see Kiffin getting ready to kill himself... and offering some local kid that has no business being at a program of their caliber.

jason_h537
07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't care as long as we get Bailey.

BostonND
07-08-2009, 06:05 AM
How awesome would it be if Scroggins commits to Flordia, leaving the Vols without another quarterback? I can see Kiffin getting ready to kill himself... and offering some local kid that has no business being at a program of their caliber.

.... but that scenario involves Urban Meyer being happy.

WabashFalcon
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
.... but that scenario involves Urban Meyer being happy.

I would rather him be happy that sneaky Pete.

IHateMarkMay
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
It would just be another generation of sub par QBs at Tennessee. No good since Peyton graduated.

WabashFalcon
07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
It would just be another generation of sub par QBs at Tennessee. No good since Peyton graduated.

AND I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVE my Peyton.

NDinL.A.
07-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Per Rivals' USC board, Bailey will be announcing his decision at the Oregon 7-on-7 tourney this week, along with teammate QB Jesse Scroggins. Bailey will be deciding between USC and ND, and Scroggins between SC and Tennessee. See the common denominator? It doesn't look good for ND, considering:

1) The one thing Bailey had concerns with was leaving home.

2) He told this to a USC mod, not an ND mod.

3) Scroggins is considered to be leaning heavily towards SC. I highly doubt the teammates would stand there and choose different schools, especially rivals schools.

So my guess is he's a Condom. When he arrives on campus, he will be highly-rated safety #37 on the U$C depth chart...

WabashFalcon
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Why would you want to be a Safety at U$C after they took FOUR last year? It boggles my mind.

Clausen2Kamara
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Hilerious...Have fun riding the bench Bailey...I'd rather have Parker anyways...I think he is the most talented safety on our board with Riley close behind.

WabashFalcon
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Damnit... NDinLA's right. Scout.com's U$C board has the post. Plus... his announcing from the West Coast does not please me in the least.

WabashFalcon
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Scout.com: Dion Bailey Update (7/12) (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=15&f=1720&t=4497544)

jason_h537
07-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Why would you announce to go to USC/ND at Oregon? Seems kind of fucked up. Anyway i really like Bailey, kid has great instincts and can lay people out. I would love to have him on board, but it doesn't sound good. Hope we are all wrong.

BGIF
07-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Scout.com: Santa Fe 7-on-7 Notes (http://usc.scout.com/2/878636.html)

by Steve Carden SCPlaybook.com 7/12

6-foot-1, 195-pound safety Dion Bailey showed great instincts while patrolling the Lakewood secondary. Bailey informed us that he will make his college choice this coming week at the Nike 7-on-7 Passing Tournament in Beaverton, Oregon. Bailey will choose between the rival USC Trojans and Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Whichever team lands the commitment of Bailey is getting a very intense, instinctive safety that is always around the ball.

The tournament is at Beaverton, Oregon so there not at Eugene or Corvallis. But still a seemingly strange place to announce for ND or USC.

He was at Santa Fe this past weekend he could have announced there.

IHateMarkMay
07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Does anybody know what day he is announcing or is it a mystery and just labeled as "this week"?

BGIF
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Does anybody know what day he is announcing or is it a mystery and just labeled as "this week"?

He's supposed to announce at the Nike 7ON Tournament which runs July 17-18th at Nike's "world headquarters" in Beaverton, OR.

jason_h537
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Looks like a USC lean but i am holding out hope because this is one kid i do not want to get away

NDinL.A.
07-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Looks like a USC lean but i am holding out hope because this is one kid i do not want to get away

Jason, he told an SC guy when and where he will announce his commitment. Meanwhile, he won't even return ND mods' calls. And this is by all accounts a good kid, not someone standoffish or anything. Keep the faith bro, but he's gone baby gone...

NDinL.A.
07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
USC's Scout board is now saying that Scroggins most likely won't announce at this tournament, but will most likely do it at next week's Elite 11 Camp. And they're saying that Bailey may hold off as well, and that they're trying to get it on ESPN. That makes it even all the more likely that they're both announcing they'll be condoms...

WabashFalcon
07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Unless Polian just hit a full-court press after Boyd....

phork
07-16-2009, 10:58 PM
USC'd.

Southern California is home to several of the top defensive backs in the 2010 recruiting class and the USC Trojans just received a commitment from one of the very best in Lakewood safety Dion Bailey.

Per Scout.

fitz_bu47
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
I just don't get it, why go somewhere that is so absurdly deep at your position.

Echo Insanity
07-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I just don't get it, why go somewhere that is so absurdly deep at your position.

USC offers plenty of other incentives to compensate for lack of playing time.

jason_h537
07-17-2009, 12:12 AM
This sucks. I wanted Bailey at Notre Dame this guy can flat out play. damn

BGIF
07-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Scout.com: Bailey Commits to USC (http://usc.scout.com/2/879694.html)

By Kevin Carden 7/16

I have a great relationship with the coaching staff and I love Coach Seto. Its great to be coached by someone like that, and be around that type of coaching staff with their background, and their history of winning. They produce players for the NFL so its a great opportunity. It (USC camp) showed me how they run practices and how they like things done. We model our practices after them at Lakewood, so I felt right at home. When I went to USC and got to be around the staff, I found out that they are all great guys. I would love to be coached by Coach Seto, so that pretty much did it for me. I wanted to go to a school where I would be coached well and be prepared for the next level if I get that opportunity.

I think he liked the coaches.

WabashFalcon
07-17-2009, 12:32 AM
He's like... 6th on the depth chart right now. Why the hell would you go to a place that took FOUR safeties last year?!?!?!?!?

NDinL.A.
07-17-2009, 02:11 AM
I agree with you guys about the depth chart. All I can say is that unless you're out here you have no idea how immense the lure of USC is to these kids, especially in the inner city. Carroll is a God, the players are treated like rock stars, there's HUGE fan support (everybody suddenly supports a winner), and then, I hate to say it, but they do things right in their camps/practices. Carroll has it going on, there's no doubt about it. And I friggin' hate to say that about our archrival. But it's true. They feed/challenge the kids' egos by telling them that if they are good enough they will play right away, and that if they're scared of that challenge then maybe USC isn't the place for them. And everything they say and do has the word compete in it. Go read the book called Meat Market, which depicts the recruiting exploits of Ole Miss under Ed Orgeron, former Carroll protoge. Orgeron must use the word compete at least 100 times in the book.

So yeah, it surprises me that another safety chose USC, but in a way it doesn't. Guess Bailey doesn't mind being safety #23 on the depth chart. He's a good kid who I hope won't haunt us a couple years from now...

P.S. - The 25 K and the new house for the parents doesn't hurt their recruiting either...

kjk184
01-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Any ideas how strong Dion's commitment is to SC? Based on this thread...it was all about coaches for him and ND were a close second.

WabashFalcon
01-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Ooooo daddy... open it back it. Please. PLEASE.

jason_h537
01-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Bailey never even visited ND. Would love for him to reconsider but so far he is solid to SC

WabashFalcon
01-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't care if he doesn't come to ND. I just want U$C to be deviod of another great athlete.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-12-2010, 02:07 AM
ESPN reports that ND contacted his coach about whther he is reopening his recruitment and it seems that Bailey and his coach are just waiting to hear back from someone on the USC staff. The thing about Petey's departure is it is so late in the season and with the time needed to hire a coach and fill a staff, and NSD less than a month away, SC is bound to lose some kids and this kis would be fantastic to poach.

WabashFalcon
01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Call dibs! Call dibs!

NDinMemphis
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Per ISD, Dion asked Justin Utopo for a phone number for the coaches at ND. I hope this is a good sign that a visit may be on the horizon.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Great news NDinMemphis! Let's go Bailey! Join the team that Byron Moore should have joined a year ago. Not bitter whatsoever

BGIF
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Per ISD, Dion asked Justin Utopo for a phone number for the coaches at ND. I hope this is a good sign that a visit may be on the horizon.

Good news and bad news???

The good - a high profile recruit at a need position asked his HS teammate for the ND's number.

The bad - That Bailey didn't have ND's number AND that an ND coach didn't initiate what should have been a priority contact to a high profile recruit, at a troubled insititution, whose teammate is an ND commit.

I didn't see the article just a comment based on what was posted.