PDA

View Full Version : '10 KS WR Justin McCay (Oklahoma Verbal)

SoCalDomer
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
ATHLETE (WR/OLB)
Shawnee (KS) Bishop Miege

Ht: 6-3
Wt: 200
40: 4.5
Vertical: 42

Stats:
'08 Receiver 31 catches, 354 yds, 4 TDs; Returner 4 TDs; LB 54T, 1 Sack

Ranking:
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, #6 ATH, Rating 6.0
Scout: :s::s::s::s::s:, #1 OLB
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:, #13 ATH, Grade 80

Offers:
Oklahoma
Florida
ND
KSU
KU
Missouri
Tennessee
Wisconsin
Georgia
FSU

ND Recruiter: Ianello

Decision: 8/11/09 Oklahoma Verbal

NDinL.A.
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
S-T-U-D. Could be a 5-star. His h.s. coach is former ND great Tim Grunhard, who as we all know turned down an offer to join ND's staff because of his family. So we have an in here. Grunhard also says the kid might stay close to home, and I saw a Youtube interview of him where he says he really likes FL because if the winning tradition, esp lately. I think his exact words were: "Who wouldn't want to play for a winner?"

This would be a great get. Kid can flat out play...

NDinL.A.
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
New article on Scout talks about the 3 schools he eliminated, but also is a ringing endorsement for ND. He eliminated UCLA (sad for me), OKlahoma St and Nebraska. None of those schools were threats for ND, so it's not really a big deal. His list now stands at 9 schools, but in no order: ND, FL, FSU, NC, Tenn, Kansas, Kan St, Mizzou, and OK.

In the article, Justin says he really loved his ND trip, and it seems we're right there with FL, and probably OK is in the mix as well. He mentioned ND twice in the article, and both times he mentioned them first before the other schools. Could be coincidence, but it looks like he was REALLY impressed with ND.

This is one kid I really want, and we have a great in with Grunhard being his coach. He could be a 5 star WR or OLB. IMO kids like him and Barr, if we get them, will make this a top 5 class...

fitz_bu47
04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I live in the K.C. area and my dad is a coach at a school in Justin's league...word on the street is he likes Urban Meyer, but doesn't want to go that far from home. From what stuff I have heard, which is mostly what the Miege staff thinks, he is looking hard at Mizzou, KU, and OU, but I heard this before his ND visit....local support is pretty important to him...Hopefully he is Irish, or a Jayhawk, anything else will suck.

Clausen2Kamara
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
He is my #1 want at WR...I love everything about this kid..

IHateMarkMay
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Are we recruiting him as WR or OLB?

OCIrish
04-29-2009, 11:40 PM
WR, I believe.

jason_h537
05-03-2009, 03:43 AM
The Irish want him as a reciever but Florida is all over this kid as well. For all the talking Urban does about Notre Dame being his dream job, he sure likes screwing us in recruiting. First Trattou, then Hunter, and he tried to swipe Goodman last year. Hopefully we can land this kid just like we nabbed Zeke Motta last time we went head to head recruiting

Ultimate Penn St. Hater
05-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Right on Jason! Go Irish!

DirtySecret
05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
The Irish want him as a reciever but Florida is all over this kid as well. For all the talking Urban does about Notre Dame being his dream job, he sure likes screwing us in recruiting. First Trattou, then Hunter, and he tried to swipe Goodman last year. Hopefully we can land this kid just like we nabbed Zeke Motta last time we went head to head recruiting

If McCay has a head on his shoulders than he won't listen to good ol Windbag Urban Meyer. It's funny how he told Hunter he would always be playing with his hand down in Weis 3-4 defenese and won't have any chance in hell going after the quarterback. Well, what is Mr. Omar doing at Florida for Meyer? He's playing with his hand down.. Sigh....

OCIrish
05-03-2009, 07:32 PM
If McCay has a head on his shoulders than he won't listen to good ol Windbag Urban Meyer. It's funny how he told Hunter he would always be playing with his hand down in Weis 3-4 defenese and won't have any chance in hell going after the quarterback. Well, what is Mr. Omar doing at Florida for Meyer? He's playing with his hand down.. Sigh....

Same thing with Trattou, but, I guess, if you don't mind listening to a liar, then you'll listen to whatever Urban has too sell.

IrishAddiction
05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
why wouldnt he try to get good players to go to Flordia? Turns out he is the head coach their fellas....

Charlie does the same thing. "If their looking, we are looking." They poach, we poach, its just part of the recruiting world today.

And as far as what Urban sells, he sells CHAMPIONSHIPS, Flordia weather, and hot girls...... I think Flordia has all of those.

You guys make no sense bitching about Meyer when Weis does the exact same thing.

OCIrish
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm talking about the darkside of recruiting: when head coaches lie to kids to get them to commit to their schools. I know full well that we have poached kids from other schools, Brian Smith certainly comes to mind, but is it really poaching when all it took for him was a scholarship offer? I understand Urban Liar needs to get great talent to win championships, I just don't respect the fact that he has to lie about the way he runs his business. Do you?

jason_h537
05-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Im not talking about recruiting i am talking about his constant bs about his "dream job". he had the opportunity to be the Irish coach and passed, and to be honest i don't want him. I hate the spread and i think he is all bs. thats my opinion

NeuteredDoomer
05-05-2009, 02:06 AM
why wouldnt he try to get good players to go to Flordia? Turns out he is the head coach their fellas....

Charlie does the same thing. "If their looking, we are looking." They poach, we poach, its just part of the recruiting world today.

And as far as what Urban sells, he sells CHAMPIONSHIPS, Flordia weather, and hot girls...... I think Flordia has all of those.

You guys make no sense bitching about Meyer when Weis does the exact same thing.

Nice.

Sounds like the "everything is fair in love and war" adage...

Ah well. Chapter 17...

I hope ND wins. (title of book).

tko
05-05-2009, 06:30 AM
and now back to Justin McCay

BGIF
05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Sporting News Today - May 10, 2009 (http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090510/?pg=4)

McCay Cuts Three From His List
by Brian McLaughlin

He dropped UCLA, NU, and OKS still leaving around 30 to chose from. They were recruiting me but not really recruiting me.

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Excellent news. Come on Justin, come on home!

IrishInFl
05-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Sporting News Today - May 10, 2009 (http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090510/?pg=4)

McCay Cuts Three From His List
by Brian McLaughlin

He dropped UCLA, NU, and OKS still leaving around 30 to chose from.

Holy crap! Now I know he has a lot of interest, but to say that he takes three schools off and still has a vague number like "around" 30? Well, I hope we get him and/or Prater, but I will not have a fit if we do not get anymore WR.

jason_h537
05-13-2009, 01:02 AM
If we get a wideout, this is the one i want, this kid is an elite talent and can play LB if the Irish go that route, which i doubt. Florida is the biggestthreat in my opinion

NDinL.A.
05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
He says he now has a top 6, with ND sticking out the most. This kid is a stud and would really bump our recruiting class up...

Polish Leppy 22
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Good stuff

GOLDENISTHYTATE
05-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I would love to land this kid. He has produced on the field and could excel at multiple positions for us.

jason_h537
05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
He says he now has a top 6, with ND sticking out the most. This kid is a stud and would really bump our recruiting class up...

where'd you read that?

NDinL.A.
05-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Irishdaily, premium...

jason_h537
05-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Nice, who's the competition?

BGIF
05-23-2009, 07:06 AM

He must have to been working overtime to trim his list from 30+ to 6 in 10 days.

BGIF
05-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Nice, who's the competition?

ND and 5 other guys.

BGIF
05-23-2009, 07:21 AM
ND and 5 other guys.

Too generic?

OK

ND, UF, and 4 Big 12 Teams (I'll guess MU, OU, KU, and KSU)

Rationale: No inside nor premium info.

ND's been mentioned prominently and his coach Grunhard (I wish we had a Grunhard clone on the OLine)
UF Nat Championships aura, Meyer's gonna throw the ball and throw the bull.
OU Nat Championship competitor, shake hand with the Heisman winner (add that to UF as well), he's from Big 12 territory
MU Homestate school, rising program
KU nearest campus to mom and dad, rising program
KSU Big 12 program, would be the best receiver on the campus if he took a visit this weekend

notredomer23
05-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Too generic?

OK

ND, UF, and 4 Big 12 Teams (I'll guess MU, OU, KU, and KSU)

Rationale: No inside nor premium info.

ND's been mentioned prominently and his coach Grunhard (I wish we had a Grunhard clone on the OLine)
UF Nat Championships aura, Meyer's gonna throw the ball and throw the bull.
OU Nat Championship competitor, shake hand with the Heisman winner (add that to UF as well), he's from Big 12 territory
MU Homestate school, rising program
KU nearest campus to mom and dad, rising program
KSU Big 12 program, would be the best receiver on the campus if he took a visit this weekend

IMO its ND and UF in the lead

jason_h537
05-23-2009, 02:15 PM
As long as its ND in the end

BGIF
06-05-2009, 04:07 PM
In the Film Room: Justin McCay - (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&article=498&category_id=7&Itemid=83)

By Bryan Driskell Irish Sports Daily

FREEBIE

I used to swap emails with Coach Driskell back before he got paid for putting his thoughs on paper. Interesting guy. Sharp eyes.

He likes McCay - anywhere on a football field. While most people have been arguing WR versus LB Bryan thinks he could well be a SS. He comments on his great lower body strength and when the Div 1 Strength Coaches get him he'll be 230. Also notes how his long strides are actually a liability off the LOS, and perhaps at LB. He makes a good argument for SS right up til he tells you that he should be a ...

Go to the Link. Worth the read.

jason_h537
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Him, Anthony Barr, and Sean Parker are three guys i want to badly at Notre Dame. I'm glad we have 2 ofour best recruiters on them

BGIF
07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
SportingNews.com - The Recruitnik (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheRecruitnik/entry/view/28502/sn100_wrlb_mccay_has_six_schools_in_mind)

By Brian McLaughlin
Sporting News 7/19

I like a few schools, like Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida, K-State, Tennessee and Georgia. Recruiting has all been good. It's what you make of it, and I'm doing pretty good about it. All the hard work's paying off.

WIS ORE FSU KU NU UNC and ND also offered but have all been eliminated from contention.

Wherever you need me on the field, I'll play it. The stats said I scored every four times I touched the ball, that's my stats for the year. Whether it's kicks, or a catch-and-run in the backfield, or at receiver or punt returner.

bummer!

NDinL.A.
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
WTF? This is a shocker, to be eliminated this early. He's been telling people that we'd make his top 5, and then suddenly we're already cut. I always knew it would be tough with his love for FL, plus his local schools, but with his h.s. coach being a ND grad I thought we'd have a shot at the end. This sucks, b/c he's a stud that I really wanted at ND...

daytonirish
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
WIS ORE FSU KU NU UNC and ND also offered but have all been eliminated from contention.

Quote:

That is what the writer of the article says, it is not a quote from Justin.

jason_h537
07-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I like a few schools, like Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida, K-State, Tennessee and Georgia

Read the sentence. he said i like a few schools like, not my top six are.

BGIF
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
So we're parsing the article but nobody has a quote indicating ND's still in the game.

Anybody?

NDinL.A.
07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
So we're parsing the article but nobody has a quote indicating ND's still in the game.

Anybody?

ND's still in the game. ISD talked to him and he said that OK and FL are standing out, along with ND, Kansas St and Missouri. BUT I DID NOT READ THAT AS A TOP 5, I just think those are some of the schools he's still interested. In fact he said he wants to pair his list down after visiting FL this week. I imagine FL will be his clear favorite after visiting this week. And he said something that you're going to hear a lot of this year: He's waiting to see if ND will win, because he wants to go to a school with a stable coaching staff...

BGIF
07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
ND's still in the game. ISD talked to him and he said that OK and FL are standing out, along with ND, Kansas St and Missouri. BUT I DID NOT READ THAT AS A TOP 5, I just think those are some of the schools he's still interested. In fact he said he wants to pair his list down after visiting FL this week. I imagine FL will be his clear favorite after visiting this week. And he said something that you're going to hear a lot of this year: He's waiting to see if ND will win, because he wants to go to a school with a stable coaching staff...

Good! Makes sense. I think we'll do OK with the kids that wait. Question is how many are waiting?

Irishlew
07-20-2009, 11:52 PM
It's a two team race right now (OK and FL) with ND having a very outside chance. If ND has a great season we may be able to land one of either McCay or Prater.

jason_h537
07-21-2009, 11:38 PM
McCay knows Notre Dame and has people around him with nothing but good things to say about ND. We will be in it til the very end. I don't know if we will get him or not, i certianly hope so and feel better about him than Prater (both as a player and our chances). In the very least we will have our hat on the table when he decides. just wait til the season starts and let Ianello work his magic.

NDinL.A.
07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
It's a two team race right now (OK and FL) with ND having a very outside chance. If ND has a great season we may be able to land one of either McCay or Prater.

Not as outside as one may think, especially if ND wins. Here's the most recent quote from him from an article by tharinger.com:

Out of his 30 plus offers, Justin states he has no leader at this point, but a couple of schools have already been penciled in for an official visit.

"I definitely want to go to Oklahoma, Florida, and probably Notre Dame.

Justin McCay (http://www.tharinger.com/2010%20state%20rankings/JustinMcCay.htm)

jason_h537
07-22-2009, 11:32 PM
I was about to post that but you beat me to it. McCay will likely give us a visit, hopefully we will be on the right track to get him to come to where he belongs

NDinNM
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Ya if we get a visit I think we will have a good shot. Are OK FL and ND his "potential top 3" in the recent Scout.com article? I dont have a subscription or else i wouldve looked into it

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
As long as we get them on campus...

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Ya if we get a visit I think we will have a good shot. Are OK FL and ND his "potential top 3" in the recent Scout.com article? I dont have a subscription or else i wouldve looked into it

Yes, those are his top 3 right now, which is great news for us. He plans to take OV to all 3. FL, imo, is the team to beat here. ND needs to win in order to have a shot, and if ND wins and CW shows staying power, we sit in great shape with him...

IrishInFl
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
This is stupid. How does he go from "eliminating ND", to being in his top three?

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Because it depends on what recruiting site you are talking to, as a player that is. These recruits are INUNDATED with phone calls form not only coaches but recruiting sites as well. Just think about ND alone. We have Scout, Rivals, ISD (w/ ESPN), etc. And that's just one school. Times that by 30 for a kid like McCay. Throw in independent sites like tharinger and Tom Lemmings, and you get the idea. So, let's say one of the FL sites gets you on the phone, and asks you for a top 10. You decline to say t, but they pester you, so you throw out some teams you like. Apparently he forgot to name ND one time, so the writer assumed he eliminated ND. Now all the ND sites go crazy and call you, and 2 hours later you tell them that ND is still alive. That's what happened w/ McCay. Happens all the time in fact. I'd tell you more but my fiance and I have to get our marriage license and she's wondering the hell I'm doing typing on the Net at a time like this LOL, so I'm off...

IrishInFl
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Because it depends on what recruiting site you are talking to, as a player that is. These recruits are INUNDATED with phone calls form not only coaches but recruiting sites as well. Just think about ND alone. We have Scout, Rivals, ISD (w/ ESPN), etc. And that's just one school. Times that by 30 for a kid like McCay. Throw in independent sites like tharinger and Tom Lemmings, and you get the idea. So, let's say one of the FL sites gets you on the phone, and asks you for a top 10. You decline to say t, but they pester you, so you throw out some teams you like. Apparently he forgot to name ND one time, so the writer assumed he eliminated ND. Now all the ND sites go crazy and call you, and 2 hours later you tell them that ND is still alive. That's what happened w/ McCay. Happens all the time in fact. I'd tell you more but my fiance and I have to get our marriage license and she's wondering the hell I'm doing tying on the Net at a time like this LOL, so I'm off...

What a horrible excuse! Getting married? There are more important things to do in this world! Like Fighting Irish football!

BTW, if you're getting married in South Bend, does that mean that your marriage liscense will be in Indiana, or California when you get back?

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
What a horrible excuse! Getting married? There are more important things to do in this world! Like Fighting Irish football!

BTW, if you're getting married in South Bend, does that mean that your marriage license will be in Indiana, or California when you get back?

Well, it cost only $18 because we used my fiance's South Bend address, so I'm assuming it'll be an Indiana license. I could care less personally!

But I feel you with the whole Irish football being more important...we're coming back for the USC game and I'm waaaaaayyyyyyy more excited about that than the wedding! Hell, I'm probably more excited about the Nevada game! (and believe me, I do want to get married and look forward toit immensely, but there's just something about ND football)...

Polish Leppy 22
07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I wonder how many fans are just as nuts as we are. I love it.

I've told friends and family that I'm only getting married in the spring and after spring practice is over. This is non negotiable. And I'm 24

WabashFalcon
07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm getting married the day after Xmas. Why? Get back in time for a BCS National Championship game.

jason_h537
07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, it cost only $18 because we used my fiance's South Bend address, so I'm assuming it'll be an Indiana license. I could care less personally!

But I feel you with the whole Irish football being more important...we're coming back for the USC game and I'm waaaaaayyyyyyy more excited about that than the wedding! Hell, I'm probably more excited about the Nevada game! (and believe me, I do want to get married and look forward toit immensely, but there's just something about ND football)...

Does your wife no you post here?

NDinL.A.
07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Does your wife no you post here?

She knows I'm on the Internet too damn much! But she also knows it's a ton of ND stuff, which is where she went to school, so she's cool with it. I'm on summer break, so I have a lot more time during the day to get online as well as take care of 'life' things. Once late August hits, I'll be teaching, then coaching, then coming home and I'll be spending time with her, so my Internet activity will drop significantly. My time will be spent more on reading and less on posting (to the delight of many LOL). That's why I'm taking advantage of it so much now.

During football season, I'll probably just try to post on recruiting tidbits I hear and read, as I will take some of the 8th graders I coach (all USC fans btw) to watch local recruits such as Anthony Barr, Anthony Jefferson and Robert Woods. And now that I'm a big man on campus (aka moderator lol), I'll focus on keeping trolls out, which tend to creep in during the season. That's the plan anyways, as I will try not to get divorced b/c of my addiction to ND football and Irishenvy (but GoIrish will attest to this: Having a wife who loves ND football and sports in general does not suck)...

irishandy
07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I drive my wife nuts about ND football, she knows what day I am looking forward to- September 5th.

kjk184
08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Good to see i'm not the only one juggling important dates and ND football. Planned my 5 year anniversary this year to Hawaii which ironically fell on the only bye weekend this year. Also, when we went there for my honeymoon, I woke at at 6 am (hawaii time) to watch the irish beat Navy...now my only hope is my connecting flight in Chicago gets cancelled so I can go to see USC in South Bend on 10/17.

NDinL.A.
08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Welcome KJK! Post anytime!

Here's a little blurb on McCay:

Reports surfaced last week that Shawnee (Kan.) Bishop Miege wide receiver Justin McCay, a Rivals100 prospect, would narrow his list to five schools Wednesday. But sources now say McCay will hold off on that to focus on the start of his senior season and working to keep on track academically. McCay has been linked heavily with Florida, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Kansas State and Missouri, among others.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - National Notes: Talent on display at Top Gun (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=971609)

texas fighting irish
08-04-2009, 10:58 PM
So we are still in the race for McCay? Has he said if there is truely an intrest on his part?

NDinL.A.
08-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Yes, those (ND) are his top 3 right now, which is great news for us. He plans to take OV to all 3. FL, imo, is the team to beat here. ND needs to win in order to have a shot, and if ND wins and CW shows staying power, we sit in great shape with him...

That is what I wrote about 8 posts above.

BGIF
08-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Here's a little blurb on McCay:

Reports surfaced last week that Shawnee (Kan.) Bishop Miege wide receiver Justin McCay, a Rivals100 prospect, would narrow his list to five schools Wednesday. But sources now say McCay will hold off on that to focus on the start of his senior season and working to keep on track academically. McCay has been linked heavily with Florida, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Kansas State and Missouri, among others.

Has anyone seen a GPA and/or Test Score reported for McCay?

notredomer23
08-05-2009, 06:52 AM
So we are still in the race for McCay? Has he said if there is truely an intrest on his part?

read

WabashFalcon
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Texas... are you 14? Just a vibe I'm getting.

NDinL.A.
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Texas... are you 14? Just a vibe I'm getting.

That's colllld Wabash!!!

texas fighting irish
08-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I am just asking a question on here you dont have to be an ass about it.

WabashFalcon
08-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I am, honest to god, not being an ass. I was just guessing how old you were Texas. Sentence structure, questions, and other points lead me to believe that you are in that age range. If I am wrong, I apologize.

NDinL.A.
08-06-2009, 04:38 PM
On Rivals they are saying that McCay has dropped FL. I find that seriously hard to believe considering he has always had FL near the top of his list, and he was just at their FNL, after which he went to the Gridiron Kings Tourney (featuring ND players Martin and Badger). Biggins said he only had a so-so Gridirons, sighting possible fatigue from having arrived late from the FNL. Was he hurt at FNL? Did he perform poorly? Did FL drop him? I have no idea, but it just sounds fishy. I hope it's true for our sake, but I'll believe it when I hear from McCay himself...

fitz_bu47
08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but I was bartending last night and three of his high school coaches came in to have a few beers....They basically said he didn't perform very well and didn't enjoy that Florida camp, they didn't specifically say that Florida dropped him, or vice versa, but they said they thought Florida was definitely out.

fitz_bu47
08-06-2009, 04:47 PM
They also said they thought his list was, ND, Tennessee, Mizzou, Oklahoma, and K-State....didn't really say if they thought he was leaning anywhere.

NDinL.A.
08-06-2009, 04:54 PM
That's great info, thanks for that!

BGIF
08-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but I was bartending last night and three of his high school coaches came in to have a few beers....They basically said he didn't perform very well and didn't enjoy that Florida camp, they didn't specifically say that Florida dropped him, or vice versa, but they said they thought Florida was definitely out.

Wow, a mixologist report!

I feel more comfortable with that than a Shurburtt report.

jason_h537
08-06-2009, 10:26 PM
If its true its good for us but i'll wait and see on this firts. Thnx NDinLa n fitz

BGIF
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Oklahoma Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=201&page=briefingroom&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d201% 26page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2010)

Justin McCay (Shawnee Mission, Kans./Bishop Miege) verbally committed to sign with Oklahoma's Class of 2010 Tuesday, ESPN affiliate Web site OUInsider.com reports.

The ESPNU 150 prospect selected the Sooners over schools such as Florida, Georgia, Kansas State, Missouri, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Kansas.

He previously told OUInsider, "I like the Sooners a lot," McCay said. "Before my dad left I knew that he loved the Sooners. I know my dad is still with me and I know he can hear me so he is guiding me through all of this. He would like for me to be a Sooner."

McCay's also developed a relationship with Under Armour All-American and Oklahoma quarterback commit Blake Bell (Wichita, Kans./Bishop Carroll), "Actually I talk to Blake just about every week. We either call or text and he tells me he wants me to come to OU and go ahead and commit. We talk about it and he is a pretty good guy."

Other programs including Texas A&M, Florida State, Colorado, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Nebraska, Oregon, Oklahoma State and UCLA also offered.

NDinL.A.
08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
On OUInsider they're saying it was expected. I know he liked OU, but this one comes out of left field for me. He was supposed to cut his list and then take OV's, and then BOOM, he's gone. And Prater seems to be infatuated with USC (on campus yesterday) with IL still in the picture. All of a sudden, our WR recruiting situation just got thinner. Of course, when Tate and Floyd put up monster years, Tai'ler Jones could flip and someone else could creep up as well. Swigert anyone?

6 more months til NSD, as BGIF is quick to remind us. But damn, this one came out of left field for me...

NDinMemphis
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, I hate to see this guy go with another school. Knowing what the receiving corp is looking like for the next few years, I'm not shocked that a lot of the marquee wideouts aren't chomping at the bit to sign up with ND since PT isn't as readily available (assuming no one goes pro early). Nonetheless, I would've liked to get this kid. I'll keep hope alive that he'll visit and maybe have a change of heart.

BGIF
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
OU verbal QB Blake Bell seems to have been mentioned frequently in recent writeups on McCay. They apparently developed a bond. I don't recall a similar relationship at anyone at ND. The timing to me is unexpected but not the choice.

ND needed McCay to wait to see how the season and the offense develops.

jason_h537
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
(single tear rolls down my face) ugghhh this one burns. Please can someone tell me if he will still visit?

WabashFalcon
08-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Time to offer Jefferson. Now.

jason_h537
08-12-2009, 12:12 AM
This really sucks, this is one of the kids i have wanted on board since the beginning. Whats next Anthony Barr? Hopefully his coach gets in his ear to at least visit ND again

mjbirish
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
If we get stoops do you guys think mccay will follow

The Polish Irishman
11-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I doubt it

jason_h537
11-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Ditto Polish on this one

IrishAddiction
11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Agreed. Even if he wanted to follow Stoops, if stoops is the next coach, we already have 3 WR commits, 4 if prater commits soon as some expect..... doesnt the new coach honor those committments to the university?

Ironman8
01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Kansas writer tweeted that Justin is transferring to Kansas. Trying to confirm, but would be another MASSIVE transfer pickup for Charlie. That fanbase has definitely gotten a jolt of life.

Sherm Sticky
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Kansas writer tweeted that Justin is transferring to Kansas. Trying to confirm, but would be another MASSIVE transfer pickup for Charlie. That fanbase has definitely gotten a jolt of life.
Makes sense. He was buried on their depth charts. Plus they are bringing in FOUR stud receives this year.