PDA

View Full Version : '10 NJ DE TJ Clemmings (Pitt Verbal)

SoCalDomer
03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Strongside DE
Paterson (NJ) Paterson Catholic

Ht: 6-foot-6
Wt: 250 lbs

ndlb41
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
would like to land this kid, only one season of football and he has an ND offer? he has to be good.

jboxer562
03-08-2009, 01:55 PM
i played against him in basketball. STRONG PHYSICAL SPECIMEN lol this kid is a f'n truck

fightinirish68
03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
love the 6'6 size at d.end

irishmarine
03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
would be good to have a big end like that pushing the pocket and causing fits for ,lineman

Ricochet
03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Not that I don't ND to get Clemmings but size without great speed means nothing to me. Maybe I'm just spoiled being a NY Giants fan and having an awesome DE combo for many now which IMO has been the best for some time now and other than our Tuck these guys have been in the 255 to 265.

I may be wrong but these kids that are 250 to 270 DE's as juniors in HS are going to get much bigger and stronger over the next 5 years or so and the fact that they are already that big with another year of HS left let alone college tells me that they aren't 4-3 DE. These prospects are going to be in the 280 to 300 lbs. which is fine for 3-4 DE but 9 times out of 10 these guys don't have the speed needed to be a stud DE in the 4-3.

ND is going to run some 3-4 supposedly but the base defense is a 4-3 and that is what will be run 80% of the time if not more. So IMO you recruit 2 types of DT's. One kind of them is guys like Clemmings and Ego Ferguson that are DE in the 3-4 but are the explosive rushing DT in the 4-3. The other kind needed is the traditional big gap filling DT.

I want to see an aggressive defense that's flying all over the place and that's not going to happen with oversized DE's so that's why when I see guys like Clemmings I think there ideal being inside 80% of the time.

IrishAddiction
05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
little write up on him from mike frank, now on irishsportsdaily.com. link below.

Clemmings Catches A Lot Of Attention - (http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&article=352&category_id=7&Itemid=83)

jason_h537
05-08-2009, 03:50 AM
To have only played a year and to be getting this muching attention is crazy. He is just a gifted athlete with nothing but upside if coached right. 4 years from now we could be looking back at him as the sleeper of the class

OCIrish
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
If we land him.

jason_h537
05-09-2009, 12:55 AM
True, gettin ahead of myself

BGIF
05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Todderick Hunt StateofRutgers.com reports Clemmings had a big day at the Big Time Showcase. Has a hugh wingspan, mobile feet ("4.7 speed"?) at DE. As a junior he's still growing. I know some think 6-6 is too big for interior DL but a lot of ND DT's have had his height. Kadish, Marx, Fanning, Niehaus. Wally Kliene played DT at 6-9. I like this kids potential regardless of DL position.

IrishInFl
05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Todderick Hunt StateofRutgers.com reports Clemmings had a big day at the Big Time Showcase. Has a hugh wingspan, mobile feet ("4.7 speed"?) at DE. As a junior he's still growing. I know some think 6-6 is too big for interior DL but a lot of ND DT's have had his height. Kadish, Marx, Fanning, Niehaus. Wally Kliene played DT at 6-9. I like this kids potential regardless of DL position.

Well, Kevin Williams of my favorite pro team is 6-5, and he's one of the best in the game. Then again he did come to the Vikings as a DE in college, so maybe there is a difference between pro DT height and college height.

BGIF
05-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Well, Kevin Williams of my favorite pro team is 6-5, and he's one of the best in the game. Then again he did come to the Vikings as a DE in college, so maybe there is a difference between pro DT height and college height.

I think a lot of people get obsessed with height and leverage, "Get UNDER his pads!"

I sat next to a HS OLine coach a few years ago watching an ND game and he told me Rosenthal at 6'8" was too tall for an OLine cause he couldn't get under a 6'3" DT. I knew the concept but thought who cares as long as he gets the job done. Rosenthal's shorter opponent didn't make a play all game.

As for a 6-6 defender there aren't too many OLs these days that are much shorter. How much lower can a guy that's 6'3" and 320 get. Guys with thighs the size of tree trunks don't do the Limbo.

BGIF
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Made a visit to RU.

jason_h537
06-17-2009, 10:57 PM
any info on how it went?

BGIF
06-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Touring Pit today.

No details.

BGIF
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
AMP: T.J. Clemmings talks recruiting - Rivals.com Video (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/amp-tj-clemmings-talks-recruiting-50972)

I heard Farrell mention ND but didn't hear Clemmings mention it.

Big, Quick, Lean, 265

17 years old

Clemmings mentioned that PSU UMD PIT RU and OSU are in the mix right now.

Responding to a Farrell question he responded that UMD, PIT, and RU would be in the mix at the end.

Clemmings said he had a really good visit to RU yesterday. Likes the coaches.

jason_h537
06-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah i saw that interview and was pretty dissapointed. Read an article where his coach said Clemmings would be there for the USC game, but it sounds like the coach is more in love with Notre Dame than Clemmings is.

NDinL.A.
06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Rivals is saying that TJ has committed to Pitt. That's not a misprint...PITT. Friggin A. This kid is an athlete that I would have loved to see at ND. Never really believed it would happen, but it would have been nice. On to the next...

jason_h537
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Thats a stunner to me, PITT, WTF? I dont thinkl he even visited ND

GOLDENISTHYTATE
06-22-2009, 03:51 PM
ESPN has also reported that T.J. has committed to the Pitt Panthers. His loss, all the best to him.

BGIF
06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Disappointing.

knights
06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Rutgers fan here.

TJ has NOT committed to Pittsburgh. He made a hasty decision and is completely open.

Regarding his recruitment, his parents will play a major role in his decision. He is very close to them and would like to stay closer to home if possible. This is why his current top 2-3 consists of relatively local schools (UMD, Pitt, RU). In order for him to leave his family, a school will have to "wow" him big time (look out for UF here).

Also, TJ would prefer an urban setting. In fact, he switched high schools specifically because of that preference. He originally attended Paramus Catholic before transferring to Paterson Catholic (which is in a city environment). This is another reason schools like Pitt and RU are high on his list despite his more prestigious offers.

Rutgers was essentially out of it prior to his visit last Friday. I don't believe he had actually ever toured our campus prior to last week, so he finally got a chance to see everything we have. It left a big impression on TJ and we instantly shot up his list. I don't think he ends up here, but we made up a massive amount of ground in one day.

In terms of his skill set, he's definitely raw. But his potential is ridiculous. He's every bit of 6'6" and is as strong as an ox. He's a very good student as well. Very humble. He'll be a good get wherever he ends up, assuming the school develops him properly. This is why his decision to commit to Pitt was so unusual. Wanny does a horrible job of developing talent, something that Clemmings desperately needs. If he doesn't get that guidance, all his talents will go to waste.

Just thought I'd give a local perspective on Clemmings.

Cheers.

NDinL.A.
06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Thank you, Knights, very well done. The insight is very much appreciated...post anytime!

Irishlew
06-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Rutgers fan here.

TJ has NOT committed to Pittsburgh. He made a hasty decision and is completely open.

Regarding his recruitment, his parents will play a major role in his decision. He is very close to them and would like to stay closer to home if possible. This is why his current top 2-3 consists of relatively local schools (UMD, Pitt, RU). In order for him to leave his family, a school will have to "wow" him big time (look out for UF here).

Also, TJ would prefer an urban setting. In fact, he switched high schools specifically because of that preference. He originally attended Paramus Catholic before transferring to Paterson Catholic (which is in a city environment). This is another reason schools like Pitt and RU are high on his list despite his more prestigious offers.

Rutgers was essentially out of it prior to his visit last Friday. I don't believe he had actually ever toured our campus prior to last week, so he finally got a chance to see everything we have. It left a big impression on TJ and we instantly shot up his list. I don't think he ends up here, but we made up a massive amount of ground in one day.

In terms of his skill set, he's definitely raw. But his potential is ridiculous. He's every bit of 6'6" and is as strong as an ox. He's a very good student as well. Very humble. He'll be a good get wherever he ends up, assuming the school develops him properly. This is why his decision to commit to Pitt was so unusual. Wanny does a horrible job of developing talent, something that Clemmings desperately needs. If he doesn't get that guidance, all his talents will go to waste.

Cheers.

FRAT

Irishlew
06-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Thank you, Knights, very well done. The insight is very much appreciated...post anytime!

lol...what insight?

He's saying he's NOT committed when every scouting site says he is.

NDinL.A.
06-23-2009, 12:48 AM
lol...what insight?

A brother can hope can't he? Shoot, this was one recruit I really wanted, someone I thought could flourish, and we were one of the first ones on him damnit! lol

BGIF
06-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Rutgers fan here.

Cheers.

I'm with NDinLA, thanks for the insights. ALL the recruiting sites have reported a kid committed before only to learn the kid changed his mind. Et tu Trattou?

If he did act hasty it will be out in a day or two.

Keep in mind Clemmings is 17 and as knights noted Clemmings has seen much yet. Each trip is a wonderment at this point. The point about environment is interesting. I grew up in the town next to Paramus and I worked for a number of years in Paramus. Suburban community with major shopping malls (some of the first in the nation) intersected by 3 major highways, and a population of about 25 or 30K probably still mostly white. Paterson is a old (Alexander Hamilton old) former textile (silk) city of about 150K that was a rust belt area 50 years ago. Some very nice houses and some very ugly tenements. About 25 years ago Paterson had the largest population of Columbians outside of Bogota, (Bo-ga-ta) Columbia. (They probably got confused with Bogota, (Ba Goat A) NJ about 20 miles away.) Large African American population in Paterson. The diversity might be what appealed to him more than urban/suburban life. Except for the Columbians, South Bend is more like Paterson than Pittsburgh which has an architechural renaissance in the 70s and 80s. Lots of skyscrapers with glass and chrome.

The development issue is solid point as well and well stated.

Come back and post again, knights.

You get reps even if T.J. stays in Wannyland.

knights
06-23-2009, 10:08 AM
lol...what insight?

Yes, a local person with knowledge of Clemmings' recruiting situation decided to sign up to a Notre Dame board and fabricate a lie about a recruit the Irish are involved with. Honestly, why would I do that?

Click me (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/22/football-commit-fonti-to-rutgers/)

Irishlew
06-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Looks like I may need to oppologize to knights, but in my defense when a fan of another school in the running for the same prospect comes here to post about said prospect I'm reluctant to believe what he says without a link or source. Appears knights was right about T.J's decommit from Pitt. Also I'm sorry for any misspelling and puncuation...typing this out on my cell.

NDinL.A.
06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Looks like I may need to oppologize to knights, but in my defense when a fan of another school in the running for the same prospect comes here to post about said prospect I'm reluctant to believe what he says without a link or source. Appears knights was right about T.J's decommit from Pitt. Also I'm sorry for any misspelling and puncuation...typing this out on my cell.

The guy sounded knowledgable, and without an agenda where slandering ND was the ultimate goal. And it turns out he was right; here's the link:

ZAGSBLOG Football Updates: Fonti to Rutgers; Clemmings NOT Committed to Pitt (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/22/football-commit-fonti-to-rutgers/#more-18196)

BGIF
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
ZAGSBLOG Football Updates: Fonti to Rutgers; Clemmings NOT Committed to Pitt (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/22/football-commit-fonti-to-rutgers/)

Adam Zagoria covers Big East football and basketball and recruiting for SportsNet New York (SNY) and Rivals.com.

The Good News:

"T.J.” Clemmings is not committed to Pitt. He went out there and made a hasty decision without any input from his parents or me. He’s going to rethink it and continue the recruiting process.
Benjie Wimberly Paterson Catholic Head Coach

The Bad News:

He’s visited Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State unofficially. He’ll probably do a couple more, Florida and Ohio State. He’s going to try and visit both of them over the summer. From there, he will have his five official visits set for the fall.

Benjie Wimberly Paterson Catholic Head Coach

On the outside looking in. No mention of ND.

There's time with him taking all 5 visits as long as ND gets one of those 5 slots. ND needs him to wait until mid-September so he can see The HartLine and the Tenuta D in action.

dyrtdogg
08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Might want to update this as a Pitt verbal.

PADOMERNUT
08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Might want to update this as a Pitt verbal.

link?

notredomer23
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
link?

his been verbaled for 2 months atleast

PADOMERNUT
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
no, he withdrew his verbal, as the article above states. Look at what BGIF posted above. there has been no news since then

wicket
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
no, he withdrew his verbal, as the article above states. Look at what BGIF posted above. there has been no news since then

nope the coach thought he didnt commit when he in fact did, for all intents and purposes you should regard him as a pitt commit although there are prolly more solid commits in the nation there has been nothing suggesting that this kid is gonna flip anytime soon or at all for that matter.

notredomer23
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
PA, per rivals he has been committed since the 29th of june.

NDinL.A.
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
The reason it wasn't updated was because the site was going through its overhaul right when TJ was announcing. There was no one to change it, and by the time all the mods were put into place, the thread slipped through the cracks. TJ says he's solid, and thanks to the mod who changed it...